HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Is Costco worth it?
Posted by: CpJTx ()
Date: February 13, 2013 12:26PM

By all accounts Costco is a well-managed business with good products and good prices. But is the membership worth it? How much do you have to spend with Costco in a year to come out ahead, vs. buying similar products at other discount stores? If the prices were 10 percent better you would have to spend $550 just to break even. Less than 10 percent, and you have to spend more. And how often do you buy their giant-sized packages of food products and find yourself unable to use them up before they spoil or get stale? Experiences of single folks and couples without kids especially welcome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Costco worth it?
Posted by: FairfaxJack ()
Date: February 13, 2013 12:31PM

>>$550 just to break even.

Buy a set of tires and you are there.

Posted by: COSTCO SHOPPER ()
Date: February 13, 2013 12:33PM

Single guy here. I always do my shopping at COSTCO. It's worth it!!!! You will have to do some comparison shopping still. For example, the deoderant that I use was on sale at Walmart. I usually get it at COSTCO. Costco sells it in a 6 pack so I did the math and this time Walmart beats Costco per unit of my deoderant. When it comes to perishables I will buy them there when I do my monthly shopping but when those perishables are gone I go to Giant. Perishables such as fruit, eggs, milk, vegetables. Costco still has a great price on them but I don't go there every week just for that stuff. When it comes to meats I just throw that in the freezer so it doesn't spoil. All the other stuff is good.

GO TO COSTCO, IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY!!!

Posted by: Ahmayzin ()
Date: February 13, 2013 12:33PM

Yes. We buy snacks for our kids, bulk veggies and the meat quality is way better than any grocery store. Certain things are definitely a waste, but use it for what you need...works out better in the long run.

Oh yea, married with children.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2013 12:34PM by Ahmayzin.

Posted by: Jess1 ()
Date: February 13, 2013 12:37PM

"Buy a set of tires and you are there"
^^ This.
@ Thanksgiving best online price for Galaxy Tab 2 was around $380. Bought one @ Costco for $279.00, so there's two years membership right there...

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: February 13, 2013 12:38PM

brontosaurus steaks for real

Posted by: FairfaxJack ()
Date: February 13, 2013 12:40PM

problem with costco is the crowd.
sams @ dulles is a better shopping experiance

Posted by: Costco Employee ()
Date: February 13, 2013 12:44PM

It's definitely worth it if you don't mind inattentive asian women crashing their carts into you at every second.

Date: February 13, 2013 12:45PM

"inattentive asian women crashing their carts into you at every second"
That's why I go to Chantilly

Posted by: Parent2013 ()
Date: February 13, 2013 12:46PM

Yes especially if you have a family.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: February 13, 2013 12:52PM

You'll make your money back on the gas alone. It it's a cleaner gas blend than just about any other station. Costco is cheaper than RaceTrak and twice as good.

Posted by: DINKS ()
Date: February 13, 2013 12:53PM

Married with no kids here...

My wife and I do plenty of shopping at Costco! We (like others have said) freeze some things we know we won't use right away. Also great deals on prepared/easy meals like Rotisserie chicken, pastas, chicken, etc.

For $55/year, I'd say it's worth it.

Posted by: BJ's ()
Date: February 13, 2013 01:21PM

DINKS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Married with no kids here...
>
> My wife and I do plenty of shopping at Costco! We
> (like others have said) freeze some things we know
> we won't use right away. Also great deals on
> prepared/easy meals like Rotisserie chicken,
> pastas, chicken, etc.
>
> For $55/year, I'd say it's worth it.

Just think a Hot Dog & Soda for $ 1.50 eat there every day for lunch... They might put you in a Costco Commercial HeHe...

Yes I am a member for 15+ years its worrth it take it from a cheap ass old man.

Posted by: Vick ()
Date: February 13, 2013 03:06PM

Bj's>costco

Posted by: JoeBob ()
Date: February 13, 2013 03:21PM

Yes, it is worth it.

You membership works in many other locations here in the U.S. and several places outside. For example, I've been to locations in Mexico, Taiwan, and South Korea in the past seven hears that I've had a membership.

Additionally, if you find yourself along the Pacific coast, there are a handful of specialized Costco warehouses called "Costco Business" that is purely all-business animal and has enough stuff to start up a restaurant or other office/business. Check it out if you're close to one, as a regular membership can get you into a Costco Business center.

Posted by: well ()
Date: February 13, 2013 03:29PM

I posted a similar thread back in the summer. The feedback I got is that there are some great deals to be sure, but dealing with the parking lot and customers in the store (at least for me) did not seem to be worth it.

Posted by: babaganush ()
Date: February 13, 2013 03:45PM

well Wrote:
> I posted a similar thread back in the summer. The
> feedback I got is that there are some great deals
> to be sure, but dealing with the parking lot and
> customers in the store (at least for me) did not
> seem to be worth it.

Some Costcolocations are better than others.

I avoid the Fairfax Costco off of Westfields, this one is full of rude asian women.

Chantilly Costco off of Lee Rd is the best, it's never crowded.

Springfield Costco at Boston Blvd is usually pretty easy to deal with, if crowded-try parking by the tire dept on the left side, there's always spots available there.

Posted by: drew2000 ()
Date: February 13, 2013 03:58PM

costco rules

married, 3 kids

Posted by: bh ()
Date: February 13, 2013 04:09PM

I shop at costco to hit on all the hot rude asian women that run into me; some of them will admit they're not being satisfied at home. The ugly ones have never been a bother.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: February 13, 2013 04:22PM

Costco is great. Good steaks, good deals on electronics, I like how they rotate in new stock.

I think the Landsdowne/Leesburg store has nicer stuff than Chantilly, but instead of the rude Asians there, it's rude, uppity whites who think they're the only ones there.

single, no kids.

Posted by: ex-Lester ()
Date: February 13, 2013 04:30PM

If you're just going to Costco just for the food, the Costco in Fair Oaks is pretty close to the Wegman's.

Lot of mega markets near Fairfax City

Super Giant - Hunter Mill & 123
Super Safeway - Nutley & 29
Super H Mart - 29
Walmart Supercenter - Fair Lakes

Posted by: Blowtorch ()
Date: February 13, 2013 04:52PM

If you never buy shit, then no it's not worth it. I go maybe 4 times a year and spend about $200-$300 each time on boring household crap and necessities. I have abought a couple flat screens TVs there as well so yes it's worth it to me.

Posted by: sure ()
Date: February 13, 2013 04:56PM

Costco is good if you buy electronics, meat and household items there. They also have good deals on clothing but slection is meh. Ideally you should have storage space to keep the vast number of items you purchase if you live in a small house it sucks to have all that stock.

Many things sold there are cheaper if you purchase from your grocery when on sale. The meat is Much better quality than you can get from groceries. The baked goods are dirt cheap and also very good. You can return anything you dont like (electronic goods have a 90 day limit but offer extended warranties for free).

Its a pain in the ass to shop there because its huge and there are no signs showing what is where. Beware asian cart jockies and cracker sample grazers...

Posted by: Happy Costco Customer ()
Date: February 13, 2013 05:44PM

I've been a very happy Costco customer off & on for at least a dozen years. The reason I say "off & on" is because a few times I skipped a year and got a membership at a different club (BJs, Sams) instead, but I always return to Costco. I guess I've had a membership there for roughly 8-10 yrs out of the past 12 years.

A single purchase of certain items can more than pay for your membership fee: TVs, tires, eyeglasses. Even if you don't plan on making a big purchase like that, a single person should also be able to come out ahead by dividing the big packages of meat and making good use of the freezer. Some of their meats now come already in a bundle of small packs that can go directly into your freezer with no fuss. Plenty of other things they sell are shelf stable for a long time (pasta, cereal, canned goods, paper products, laundry & other such products), so there is no issue with those.

I like going there around lunch time and getting a free lunch of samples. Their snack bar also has very good prices on pretty good food.

The very best thing about Costco is their return policy and their willingness to go the extra mile to make a customer happy. I recently bought a white blouse that had a dirt smudge on it, because it was the last one in that size. They gave me a big markdown, I think 50% off the already good price, and also told me it would be no problem to return it even after I'd washed it if the stain didn't come out. I had a problem with a TV I bought nearly 2 years prior. Due to some technicality, the manufacturer refused to stand behind their product, so Costco at first tried to arrange to get it repaired, then (I assume when they found out the repair would be too costly) decided to allow me to return the TV for a full refund. I didn't even have to rush to return the TV before the 2 yr extended warranty ran out. Once that was the agreed upon plan of action, they told me I could return the TV at any time, so I was able to shop for a replacement at my leisure before returning the defective one.

Costco is not perfect. Lines can be horribly long. Also, don't get too attached to any particular product they sell, because it may disappear from their shelves and never come back. But overall, I've been very happy being a member there.

Try it. If you find out it isn't for you, their return policy is so comprehensive they'll even let you return the membership for a full refund. Can't beat that!

Posted by: b6eWL ()
Date: February 13, 2013 05:59PM

I had an opportunity about 15 years ago to work at Costco. I, being educated here in lovely Fairfax County, found the idea of working in "retail" revolting and turned down the job and marched off to UVA. Although I enjoyed my time in C-ville, my BFF chose the Costco path and works there to this day.

He now owns and lives in a 5-acre estate on the Potomac River in Great Falls and still works for Costco. He wears jeans, polo shirts and sneakers to work and deals with happy people every day. His income is now close to $250,000 and he gets stock in the company. Lots of stock -- enough so that he should be able to retire in a few years, make a bit less, and never had to work for anyone ever again.

I work on a slightly (ok much) larger federal reservation a few miles down the Potomac and make less than $70,000 a year. I have to wear suits, ties and black leather shoes with laces in a hot, stuffy building. I can't talk to anyone about what I do for those endless 8-hour days. People often say that the eagle shits every two weeks, but he doesn't offer stock options that would allow one to retire in wealth by age 45.

No, I am not standing on my feet working in, gasp, "retail," but I am stuck in a tiny windowless cube day after day.

So, from a slightly different perspective, I can definitely say that Costco is worth it.

Posted by: It's Worth It ()
Date: February 13, 2013 06:04PM

I go to BJs, and yes it's worth it - not only for the cost but also the convenience of buying in bulk. There's only three of us, but things like paper towels, tp, laundry detergent, cat food, etc. last forever. I buy huge cuts of beef and pork and cut them down and freeze - convenient and cheap. And you can't beat a whole cooked chicken for $5. The one thing that drives me crazy is when they abruptly discontinue a favorite product.

Posted by: DevJ9 ()
Date: February 13, 2013 06:30PM

".... He wears jeans, polo shirts and sneakers to work and deals with happy people every day. His income is now close to $250,000 and he gets stock in the company....."

Can you say what kind of job he's in? It looks from their web site like their executive offices are in Seattle. What kind of local job would pay like that? How far up the line does a store clerk have to go to get there?

Posted by: me likkey ()
Date: February 13, 2013 06:31PM

Jess1 Wrote:
> "inattentive asian women crashing their carts into
> you at every second"
> That's why I go to Chantilly

At Chantilly they just walk around in family pods and stand blocking the aisles and chatter in some foreign dialect for 3 minutes about each item they are buying. Oh ya, then put their purchases in their cars, get in and drive away with the cart still in the middle of the traffic lane.

Posted by: Atypical ()
Date: February 13, 2013 06:45PM

b6eWL Wrote:
> I had an opportunity about 15 years ago to work at
> Costco. I, being educated here in lovely Fairfax
> County, found the idea of working in "retail"
> revolting and turned down the job and marched off
> to UVA. Although I enjoyed my time in C-ville, my
> BFF chose the Costco path and works there to this
> day.
>
> He now owns and lives in a 5-acre estate on the
> Potomac River in Great Falls and still works for
> Costco. He wears jeans, polo shirts and sneakers
> to work and deals with happy people every day. His
> income is now close to $250,000 and he gets stock
> in the company. Lots of stock -- enough so that
> he should be able to retire in a few years, make a
> bit less, and never had to work for anyone ever
> again.
>
> I work on a slightly (ok much) larger federal
> reservation a few miles down the Potomac and make
> less than $70,000 a year. I have to wear suits,
> ties and black leather shoes with laces in a hot,
> stuffy building. I can't talk to anyone about what
> I do for those endless 8-hour days. People often
> say that the eagle shits every two weeks, but he
> doesn't offer stock options that would allow one
> to retire in wealth by age 45.
>
> No, I am not standing on my feet working in, gasp,
> "retail," but I am stuck in a tiny windowless cube
> day after day.
>
> So, from a slightly different perspective, I can
> definitely say that Costco is worth it.

Good for him but not a typical case and that's going to be only a very limited number of employees at that level.

Typical 5-year Costco employee salary is reported at $45,800.

You're right about the stock/options. He'll do very well. Stock incentives took their (now former) CEO's compensation from $350K/year in salary to about $2.2 million/year total compensation.

Posted by: MtbVh ()
Date: February 13, 2013 07:08PM

DevJ9 Wrote:
> ".... He wears jeans, polo shirts and sneakers to
> work and deals with happy people every day. His
> income is now close to $250,000 and he gets stock
> in the company....."
>
> Can you say what kind of job he's in? It looks
> from their web site like their executive offices
> are in Seattle. What kind of local job would pay
> like that? How far up the line does a store clerk
> have to go to get there?

Regional manager with his office in Sterling. But he works in the stores three or four days a week.

Posted by: 3WxNT ()
Date: February 13, 2013 07:11PM

Excuse me -- he works in the warehouses -- they are not called stores in Costo-speak.

Posted by: small house ()
Date: February 13, 2013 07:14PM

Not worth it. Who needs 24 rolls of toilet paper or 6 rolls of paper towels. I am not holding their inventory for them.

Posted by: Blowtorch ()
Date: February 13, 2013 07:41PM

Highly skeptical of that salary for a Regional Manager. Maybe that INCLUDES stock options cash in value 20 years from now?

Posted by: Seems about right to me ()
Date: February 13, 2013 08:05PM

Blowtorch Wrote:
> Highly skeptical of that salary for a Regional
> Manager. Maybe that INCLUDES stock options cash in
> value 20 years from now?

Looking quickly, individual store managers reportedly make $110K - $175K so doesn't look too far out of line. Some of their technical development staff reportedly make $100K+ so again not that far out there really.

Posted by: BJ's ()
Date: February 13, 2013 09:18PM

It's Worth It Wrote:
> I go to BJs, and yes it's worth it - not only for
> the cost but also the convenience of buying in
> bulk. There's only three of us, but things like
> paper towels, tp, laundry detergent, cat food,
> etc. last forever. I buy huge cuts of beef and
> pork and cut them down and freeze - convenient and
> cheap. And you can't beat a whole cooked chicken
> for $5. The one thing that drives me crazy is when
> they abruptly discontinue a favorite product.

I much prefer BJ's too.

I can't handle the crowds/parking at Costco.
BJ's takes coupons and credit cards (I don't do business with AMEX)
Often better brands at BJ's (ex Planters peanuts vs. no name nuts at Costco)

Never been in a Sam's, not anywhere near me, plus I don't feed the Walton juggernaut.

Posted by: Costco Employee ()
Date: February 13, 2013 10:19PM

BJ's Wrote:
> I much prefer BJ's too.
>
> I can't handle the crowds/parking at Costco.
> BJ's takes coupons and credit cards (I don't do
> business with AMEX)
> Often better brands at BJ's (ex Planters peanuts
> vs. no name nuts at Costco)
>
> Never been in a Sam's, not anywhere near me, plus
> I don't feed the Walton juggernaut.

Would it surprise you if I told you us Costco employees call BJ's "BlowJobs"? And BJ's is fine I suppose, if you don't mind shopping in a store with the atmosphere of a third world country. At least at Costco we try to keep it somewhat refined. I will say BJ's is a step up from Sam's Club, though.

Posted by: Costco/BJs Member ()
Date: February 13, 2013 10:45PM

Costco vs. BJS:

Costco has better beer selection, better return policy, better food samples, better in-store eating options.

BJS has better hours, accepts real credit cards (earn points/miles), is less crowded, has better milk and orange juice.

Posted by: Memco ()
Date: February 14, 2013 01:33AM

If your single with bum legs I found the place to be hell in so many ways. No cashiers buying just a few items. Hello ADA? And yet they hire folks.....

Probably, good for wise shoppers buying for a family but you got to watch out that you don't blow your budget. I assume that in addition to membership fee that's how Costco makes money. I'd say go in with blinders on but you've got to watch out for miscreant cart drivers. At least they don't do that pulling the cart from the front shit. "Look at me shit" and take up more space asshats.

I thought the tires they get at Costco are not same quality as say Goodyear. Stay far far away from the NBW et al chain. NBW was pretty good when they started but that was original owners. But I've been very dissatisfied with Sears repair shops. I wish Advanced Auto would go into the auto repair business. I think their parts stores are well run. Wise shopper could probably do better buying in bulk at a local grocery store than going thru that mess. Can you tell I don't own Costco stock(see fb). I sense burnout factor unless Dream Act gets passed.

Posted by: Yvjdj ()
Date: February 14, 2013 04:41PM

".....BJS has better hours, accepts real credit cards (earn points/miles), is less crowded, has better milk and orange juice....."

Don't Costco stores take credit cards?? Their web site takes Visa, MC, Amex and Discover.

Posted by: Ahmayzin ()
Date: February 14, 2013 04:51PM

Ive been a member of both. BJs has more items, but I like Costco quality a little better.

Posted by: paradox ()
Date: February 14, 2013 08:41PM

I love Costco but I think it's so crowded no one goes there anymore.

Posted by: BigK ()
Date: February 14, 2013 11:13PM

The ribeye steaks are awesome. And the hot dog and soda deal is a great lunch.

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: February 14, 2013 11:19PM

The issue with the huge amounts of food is waste. Something like 60% of it gets wasted anyway. So are you really saving that much overall? I don't think so.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: February 14, 2013 11:44PM

We have Costco and Sams Club, A Large family we make the dollar go further buying in Bulk, each have items that the other doesn't carry, example we buy Pork Loins at Sams, Costco doesn't carry that size and we cut our own Pork Chops out of it,(8 meals we Seal a meal) Chicken is cheaper at Costco, Other Frozen Items are carried exclusively at one or the other. Beef is usually farm bought. We have 2 Fridges and 1 Freezer and a Generator to prevent Power Failure waste. Depending on what you prefer any of the 3 are good options vs Local Supermarkets. http://www.stilltasty.com/ is a good site to figure out storage length, Frozen is good longer just with some quality loss but safe. Canned good vary between Dollar store and depending who has what on sale. Healthy snacks Costco, Candy for events like what you could get at 7-11 are at Sams. so depending on your taste either are good bets for bulk, you can always find local sales that beat any of them.

Posted by: False Premise ()
Date: February 14, 2013 11:46PM

Young Curmudgeon Wrote:
> The issue with the huge amounts of food is waste.
> Something like 60% of it gets wasted anyway. So
> are you really saving that much overall? I don't
> think so.

It only goes to waste if it is subject to spoilage (or you don't give a crap about money, in which case you're not shopping here). Even then, I and I assume many other people freeze perishable products like meat. Waste can occur with things like fresh vegetables, but that's not what most people go to these stores for. I can let non-perishables sit in the garage forever - or until I need them.

If you are more than one person and you have the storage space, it's a great deal.

Posted by: Tiffany ()
Date: February 15, 2013 08:02PM

Not if you (think) that you're buying Tiffany. lol

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/tiffany-sues-costco-counterfeit-engagement-rings/story?id=18511474

"Unbeknownst to Tiffany, Costco had apparently been selling different styles of rings for many years that it has falsely identified on in-store signage as 'Tiffany'" and "in warehouse stores around the United States," the lawsuit stated.

Posted by: uF6pM ()
Date: February 15, 2013 08:07PM

See? costco drinks the Kool-Aid that it brews for all the suckers who pay to shop there.

I mean, selling counterfeit Tiffany shit? Come on!

They tried to sell me a two-ton central A/C unit for $12,000! The damn thing wholesales for $1500!

Costco is a complete rip off.

WTF is wrong with ppl???

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: February 15, 2013 10:55PM

I cannot see anyone buying Jewelry at a wholesale club, especially Tiffany, I resist buying any Jewelry advertised at 75% off at any store. I just don't see the value. But again if your buying Name Brand your paying more than you should anyway. As for a AC unit, make friends with a Heating AC person, they are always willing to do side Jobs. We just paid $1800.00 to have a Furnace replaced at our daughters house in the attic, I know upfront the furnace ran him 600, he also did duct work. Our best price was over 3000 from the warranty contractor. Any retailer is going to sell something for what they can get, I had a quote for Windows and Siding 70,000, but he would discount it 50% off. So just shop around for the best deal on anything. I wouldn't say overall Costco isn't a good deal,you just have to be a smart shopper at any store.

Posted by: single guy ()
Date: February 15, 2013 11:19PM

I buy my condoms in bulk at costco.

Posted by: U R The Dickeman ()
Date: February 16, 2013 08:25AM

Very wise move with all the STD's especially the Magic Johnson one(he's rich he can afford all the lifesaving drugs) keep Barney wrapped

truce I'll always like the Kate Upton's of the world

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: February 16, 2013 09:15AM

I'm waiting for Costco to start offering mail-order brides. Costco's reputation for quality and customer service are good reasons, but I'm looking at their generous return policy.

Date: February 16, 2013 10:36AM

"Not if you (think) that you're buying Tiffany"

You do know that "Tiffany" is a general descriptor of a ring style, not a "brand" name...

Posted by: Joe Tittle ()
Date: February 16, 2013 11:22AM

Their clothing quality has really gone downhill in recent years. It used to comparable to the stuff found in department stores. The other problem is that the Medium sizes all sell out.

Posted by: Interesting stat ()
Date: February 16, 2013 02:08PM

A few years ago (5+) I was at the West Ox Costco in Fairfax, talking with the manager about a stock issue. I asked him what the store grossed in a day. He said, "About $150K".

Do the math: that's $55M *for one store* per year!

Not sayin' that's good or bad, just...amazing.

Posted by: No ()
Date: February 16, 2013 02:55PM

Jess1 Wrote:
> "Not if you (think) that you're buying Tiffany"
>
> You do know that "Tiffany" is a general descriptor
> of a ring style, not a "brand" name...

No, it isn't. Other than as a common misuse of their trade name.

Posted by: DCFUD ()
Date: February 16, 2013 09:47PM

I've been a member in the past. They nt only have good prices, but they also sell in bulk, and have a good variety of products that you can always find the exact equivalent of somewhere else. They even sell beer and wine. Chimay, even! If you do lot of shopping and can switch most of it to Costco, it can work out for you. You need space to store huge packages. :) Some of the storescan be madhouses on weekends.

-JAY
www.dcfud.com

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: February 16, 2013 10:20PM

Have membership to Costco and BJs. For what we normally buy, the prices are almost identical. However, each has some things the other doesn't. For $100/year, it's pretty inexpensive. However, you should definitely comparison shop against Walmart and Target, because it's 50/50 as to who will be cheaper on a unit coat basis.

Posted by: Gas Buddy ()
Date: February 24, 2013 03:09PM

Costco in Manassas gas price today is $3.72 for regular. Costco has super clean gas and Gas Buddy shows this to be the third cheapest price in the area and about 20 cents cheaper than the Sunoco cabel in Centreville at $3.91. Costco is worth it for the gas alone (lines can get kinda long if you go during lunch or right when they're opening tho).

Posted by: Fuck Buddy ()
Date: February 24, 2013 04:17PM

"Costco has super clean gas"???

They got the same gas everybody else has. I used to work at the Pickett tank farm and I can assure you that it all comes out of the same pipeline. The top tier outfits throw a jug of detergent additives into the trailer, but outside of that, it's all the same shit.

There are some differences in the tanker truck companies (contractors) as far as timely maintenance of their equipment goes. Some are fly-by-night outfits that I wouldn't trust to change filters, water separators, etc. when they're supposed to.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: February 24, 2013 04:33PM

Fuck Buddy Wrote:

> They got the same gas everybody else has. I used
> to work at the Pickett tank farm and I can assure
> you that it all comes out of the same pipeline.
> The top tier outfits throw a jug of detergent
> additives into the trailer, but outside of that,
> it's all the same shit.

This is true. My old neighbor is an exec. at Exxon and I asked him what makes Exxon gas different than Shell or Citgo. He said - gasoline is the same, it's just the proprietary additives each company puts into it that's the difference.

Posted by: raterd ()
Date: February 24, 2013 04:41PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> Fuck Buddy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > They got the same gas everybody else has. I
> used
> > to work at the Pickett tank farm and I can
> assure
> > you that it all comes out of the same pipeline.
>
> > The top tier outfits throw a jug of detergent
> > additives into the trailer, but outside of
> that,
> > it's all the same shit.
>
>
> This is true. My old neighbor is an exec. at
> Exxon and I asked him what makes Exxon gas
> different than Shell or Citgo. He said - gasoline
> is the same, it's just the proprietary additives
> each company puts into it that's the difference.

thx 4 pointing that out, captain obvious.

Posted by: A Fan ()
Date: March 07, 2013 02:22PM

Even as empty nesters we find Costco a good place to shop and a great place to save money. While a 55-gallon drum of mayonaise wouldn't make sense for us, we buy our toilet tissue, paper towels, napkins, Kleenex, bottled water, bottled tea and numerous other non-perishibles at Costco for a good deal less than we would pay elsewhere. We also have bought several plasma televisions there along with patio furniture, coffee makers, LED bulbs, batteries, produce, cleaning products, wine and gasoline at bargain prices. They even have pet supplies. And their $1.50 hotdog-and-a-drink is amazing. On top of it all, we get annual rebates that more than pay the cost of our "executive" membership. Better yet, Costco pays far better than the retailing norm and its employees are thus not the brain-dead types you tend to find at, say, Wal-mart. Furthermore, their no-questions-asked, no-expiration date return policy for all non-electronics items is unmatched. Costco is among the most popular retailers in America and the reason is that it is the best.

Posted by: A Fan ()
Date: March 07, 2013 02:34PM

Actually, Costco's gas is somewhat different. For one thing they now sell gas that contains a lot more detergent than the government requires. Not everyone does that. Also, their employees are required to inspect pump filters regularly and to replace any that are dirty. I agree that gas often comes from the same source for multiple retailers but there IS a difference in how some retailers handle it and how they customize it. But even if Costco's gas was the same, it usually costs less. So why not buy it?

Posted by: More Indians than Mumbai ()
Date: March 07, 2013 03:19PM

FairfaxJack Wrote:
> problem with costco is the crowd.
> sams @ dulles is a better shopping experiance

+1

The closest Costco for me is one in Sterling and its pretty much mobbed from open to close. Its so unpleasant I will not be renewing my membership.

Posted by: all hype ()
Date: March 07, 2013 08:01PM

Costco's seems very empty these days. The crowd's have been thin for about 4 months,

Posted by: Summercamp! ()
Date: March 08, 2013 09:02AM

babaganush Wrote:
> well Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I posted a similar thread back in the summer.
> The
> > feedback I got is that there are some great
> deals
> > to be sure, but dealing with the parking lot
> and
> > customers in the store (at least for me) did
> not
> > seem to be worth it.
>
>
> Some Costcolocations are better than others.
>
> I avoid the Fairfax Costco off of Westfields, this
> one is full of rude asian women.
>
> Chantilly Costco off of Lee Rd is the best, it's
> never crowded.
>
> Springfield Costco at Boston Blvd is usually
> pretty easy to deal with, if crowded-try parking
> by the tire dept on the left side, there's always
> spots available there.

DC Costo has hard liquor.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.