HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Cox Fiber Optics
Posted by: JR ()
Date: July 22, 2008 08:08AM

Has anyone been noticing that Cox's new marketing blitz say that they are fiber optic? The only question I have is where? I got a mailer this week and it said Cox had a fiber optic network but none of the services were. Anyone knows what their plans are, or are they getting a little scared about FIOS.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cox Fiber Optics
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 22, 2008 02:56PM

Cox is fine as it is. FiOS sucks.

Posted by: 30/5 this morning ()
Date: July 22, 2008 09:27PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cox is fine as it is. FiOS sucks.

I was getting 25-30M down and 3-5 up on cox this morning, but speedtest,net and speakeasy seem to blocked at the moment

that having been said - 50/20 at FIOS looks attractive

Date: July 22, 2008 09:34PM

I generally get about those same speeds for cox.
I pay 29.99 for my internet. a month, cable included (expanded basic)

Verizon charges an insane amount for their service, however good it is.

Ive had the same cox bill for the past 10 years and only had a guy have to come out 3 times in that time frame to fix something. Peopel say Cox is unreliable. They are wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2008 09:35PM by KeepOnTruckin.

Date: July 22, 2008 09:37PM

In fact, verizon charges 42.99 for their basic internet: 10/2.

http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerfios/about+fiostv/who+wins+fios+vs+cable/who+wins+fios+vs+cable.htm

notice they make careful use of the words "most cable companies", and "usually charge more", etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2008 09:38PM by KeepOnTruckin.

Posted by: coxblows ()
Date: July 22, 2008 09:38PM

cox is slow, has many problems, charges you for everything like if your cable box is broken you have to pay them 20 dollars to bring you a new one, They charged us a 100 dollars to move some connections around that was completly unnessasary and did not cost 100 dollars for them at all... They have a really fuzzy record of fixing things a timely rate and all together just suck ass avoid them at all costs...

Posted by: T-Bone©®™ ()
Date: July 22, 2008 09:43PM

Yes, they are scared! they are LYING to their customers by saying they have a "FIBER" network when all they have that is fiber is the FEED from whomever they BUY or contracted with to broadcast those shows. After that, it is NOT fiber,,, Verizon is the ONLY provider doing this.

After 2 years with it I never had or called with a problem unlike Cox.

Posted by: yes ()
Date: July 22, 2008 11:53PM

i got a new HD cable box from Verizon and i was having problems getting it working i called and it was like 11 oclock at night and i got a fully speaking English support rep that helped me solve it, i was also suprised to know that he auctly lived in fairfax at one point but is now working out of their texas location, he also talked to other people to get the right information that he did not have and we solved it in about 20 minutes. I had not ridicules diagnostics or crazy reset instructions. I was also surprised their support is open 24.7 365 days a year!! cox cannot come close to that, cox asked you all these stupid questions to "verify" that you are who you say you are and have horrible support with very limited hours. Most of cox's reps are dumb people in India that are reading off a script. Also if i wanted to exchange boxes with cox they would have charged me 20 dollars. Verizon shipped me one and it came the next day!! i am very supportive of fios and recommend all you cox customers to switch over... Cox does not have fiber to your house. Maybe to your neighborhood but you share a connection with everybody and your speed is very low compared to fios..

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: July 23, 2008 01:42AM

I've had Cox for years but now have FIOS. It's much cheaper and much better, a better television picture, their HD is amazing. The internet is twice as fast as Cox. Fios is really awesome.

Date: July 23, 2008 11:33PM

Neen, you are a dumbass. Verizon's slowest internet-phone package is double what I pay for cox's slow tv-internet package. And i get 20-30 mbps dl regurlary.

You dont have to pay for them to bring you a cable box if you go pick it up in reston.

I called up verizon the other day for assistance getting music onto my phone and the rep (english speaking, american) did not understand what an mp3 file is.

Cox's support is done out of their local building in Herndon.

Posted by: Wrinkle ()
Date: July 24, 2008 06:58PM

I read some stuff online about Cox testing out fiber. There's no "official" announcement about it yet but rumor is they're gonna deploy it here in NoVA first (obviously because of competition from FiOS). I also read that this month, Cox are or have doubled everyone's cable down/upload speeds for free. I tested my connection tonight (regular Cox high speed service) on a couple of websites and sure enough I'm now consistently getting 25-30Mbs DL and 3.5-4Mbs UL -- sweet! In addition, with Cox we get telephone, extended cable, two "add-on" channel packages and DVR, all for about $85/mo. In my mind, Verizon can't compete with that. Plus Verizon's customer service is horrendous (and they censor the internet, let the government wiretap you, etc, etc).

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: July 24, 2008 07:07PM

I'm fairly happy with Cox but the speed does slow down a lot during peak usage but it also flies during off hours (a problem with all cable internet). FIOS isn't supposed to slow down based on the amount of users but I can't get it even though I saw verizon contractors laying cable around where I live six months ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2008 07:10PM by Mofo.

Posted by: Oz ()
Date: February 01, 2010 09:59PM

I am confused... how did you get the internet package from Cox 25mb dl for only 29.99... I just checked right now it is 61.00 for just the internet service...

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 01, 2010 11:04PM

Oz Wrote:
> I am confused... how did you get the internet
> package from Cox 25mb dl for only 29.99... I just
> checked right now it is 61.00 for just the
> internet service...

possible explanations:

1) you have have taken the bait for a three month or so reduced fee
2) you are already paying for other services and that's only the additional cost of the service
3) you arent and dont know it
4) clerical error
5) magic

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Munkey_D ()
Date: February 02, 2010 12:19PM

I believe Cox put in fiber about 10 years ago when they were doing a network upgrade. Most of you probably remember alot of trucks outside doing ALOT of digging everywhere.

Their fiber network goes to the green box outside of your house or to the maint. room in apt. buildings THAN it goes via coax to your house. Honestly it doesnt make a difference if coax feeds into your house about 100-200 ft.

They also offer a 55mpbs connection if you need it as well albeit its a bit expensive.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: February 02, 2010 12:28PM

You only lose 1mb per 100' of coax which is really all that FIOS has to offer up that's better than the competition right now. Comcast and Cox run fiber to the green boxes and then coax into your house box/throughout your house. Verizon runs fiber into your house box and then coax throughout your house.

Posted by: jordan cox rep ()
Date: June 27, 2011 06:04PM

coxblows Wrote:
> cox is slow, has many problems, charges you for
> everything like if your cable box is broken you
> have to pay them 20 dollars to bring you a new
> one, They charged us a 100 dollars to move some
> connections around that was completly unnessasary
> and did not cost 100 dollars for them at all...
> They have a really fuzzy record of fixing things a
> timely rate and all together just suck ass avoid
> them at all costs...

Posted by: JORDAN ()
Date: June 27, 2011 06:06PM

actually fiber optics means nothing for internet. THERE SEEMS TO BE A LITTLE CONFUSION RUNNING BETWEEN US AND ATT INTERNET SPEEDS, WE RUN OFF OF CAT 5 WHERE AS THEY RUN OFF FIBER OPTICS, HERES THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO

:CAT 5- ALSO KNOWN AS CATEGORY 5 COPPER DATA TRANSFER WIRE, IT CAN OPERATE UP TO 350 MHZ BUT IT ONLY SUPPORTS A TRANSMISSION OF SPEED TO 100MBS DWNSTREAM.. WHICH WE ONLY SUPPORT 50 AT OUR HIGHEST SPEED.

FIBER OPTICS- USES GLASS AND TRAVELS BY THE SPEED OF LIGHT, NOT ONLY MORE EXPENSIVE BUT DIFFICULT TO USE WITH NETWORKS, FIBER OPTICS CAN SUPPORT WAY MORE MEGAHERTZ, ITS TRUE IT CAN. BUT NOBODY USES MORE THAN 50 MBS OF SPEED. THEY HAVE AN UNLIMITED AMOUNT OF POTENTIAL TO GROW- BUT WERE NOT QUITE THERE IN THE TECHNOLOGY OF INTERNET SPEEDS FOR IT TO MATTER.

TO TURN A LONG STORY SHORT, UNLESS COMPANIES ARE USING MORE THAN 100 MBS OF INTERNET SPPED IT WILL NOT MATTER WHETHER ITS FIBER OPTICS OR NOT, WHEN IT ACTUALLY COMES DOWN TO IT COX IS SAVING 110 MORE DOLLARS PER INSTALL OF SHORT COPPERWIRE CABLE. FIBER OPTICS ARE EXPENSIVE.AND YOU CAN IMAGINE HOW MUCH INSTALLATION FOR ATT WOULD BE BECAUSE THEY ARENT GOING TO PAY OUT OF THERE POCKET FOR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, THEIR USING IT AS ADVERTISEMENT, SOMETHING TO SAY "OH WE USE FIBER OPTICS ITS BETTER AND FASTER" WHICH IS A GOOD ADVERTISEMENT, IT WILL NOT MATTER UNTIL EVERYBODY IS AT A HIGHER SPEED.

LOOK AT IT THIS WAY, WHETHER YOUR GOING 50 MPH IN A HONDA OR 50 MPH IN A CORVETTE, UR STILL GOING 50 MPH. IF YOUR LOSING A CUSTOMER FOR SOMETHING STUPID OVER THAT, SUGGEST A MORE POWERFUL LAN CABLE LIKE A GIGABIT ETHERNET CABLE. THEY INCREASE BANDWITH INTO MODEMS. AND TO THE GUY SAYING THEY CHARGE 20 $ FOR A BOX REPLAEMENT, 1 ITS FOR THE GAS TO GO OUT THERE. U CAN GO TO ANY COX STORE LOCATION TO PICK IT UP,

Posted by: cocks ()
Date: June 27, 2011 07:35PM

I had Cocks for over over 10 years until my picture started freezing to point it was unwatchable. They told me this is "normal sometimes". Ummm...no..it's not. It never happened before. Most of my neighbors who had cox were experiencing the same problems. I was the last guy on the block to switch to FIOS. Lovin it!

Posted by: edward ()
Date: January 16, 2012 12:52AM

well i got 50mb a sec for 70 dollers a mouth

Posted by: DavidG ()
Date: March 08, 2012 11:22AM

Actually, cox has no reps in india. All reps are U.S. Reps and all those NASTY questions they ask are required by law for verification.

Posted by: No goats ()
Date: March 08, 2012 03:03PM

FIOS-If it works fine good for you, but if you have a problem you are ****ed. You have to deal with their abysmal customer service. Hell, those ***holes didn't even show up at my house the day they were supposed to install the service in my house. If you need to call their technical support, prepare to go to purgatory, you are screwed.

COX-Moved from Loudon, dumping the awful Comcast service, and got Cox because Verizon never bothered to show up. Price is comparable, service is ok now. Before, I needed to have them run a new cable line from the street to my house and change out the splitter. Since then, it has been fine. Their internet speed is fine. Netflix streams great and downloads are as fast as you'd expect.

When their network takes a dump, it's nothing that is not expected from any service provider. Their time to resolution has been reasonable.

I DO like their customer service and promptness. It's nice not getting routed to some dumbass in India who reads from a script, as was the case with Verizon.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.