HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Anybody Remember Valle's Steak House in Springfield?
Posted by: Just Wondrin ()
Date: January 31, 2013 09:51PM

I moved here in 1996 and one night I went to a big country western club at the Springfield interchange that had a “hot legs” night (whatever happened to those?) The place looked like an old Valle’s restaurant, same floor plan, exterior design, etc. I had worked at a Valle’s in the Boston area when I was in high school. Anybody remember this country western club, especially when it was a Valle’s? I’ve asked locals who grew up in the area and they don’t remember.

Were there other Valle’s in the area?

The attached pic shows the standard Valle's sign - probably not from the Springfield area!

Valle’s was a great place to work and seemed to do a good business. Unfortunately when the owner died his kids sold off the restaurants and retired with the cash.

Lazy pricks.
Attachments:
Valle's sign.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anybody Remember Valle's Steak House in Springfield?
Posted by: Busboy ()
Date: January 31, 2013 10:03PM

There was one in Springfield. I used to work at Valle's as a busboy during the summer of '79. Didn't have a country western dance hall that I remember. Valle's became Blackie's which had a club called déjà Vu. Picked up a lot of hot women there.

Posted by: Steak man ()
Date: January 31, 2013 10:22PM

Blackies House of Steaks. Yaaaa, buddy.

Posted by: Springfielder ()
Date: January 31, 2013 10:24PM

I remember the Valle's restaurant; it was located where the Courtyard by Marriott is now on Commerce Street. Not sure if the restaurant had other locations in the area though. And I remember Deja Vu! And you're right, the restaurant changed to a western theme, maybe after Blackie's?? Don't think the western themed place stayed open very long.

Long, long time ago, Bowie Drive (crosses Commerce Street) used to continue all the way to Franconia Road. And there was a 7-11 on the corner where the Waterford is now.

Wow, I've been here way too long.

Posted by: Lord of Kings Park ()
Date: January 31, 2013 10:30PM

Wow, OP...nice picture, man. That really takes me back. The lighting...the colors...just a classic image.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: January 31, 2013 11:00PM

the one thing I'll always remember about Blackies is how the leaves of all those palm trees would be all pressed up against the glass near the tops of the windows in the front of the place LoLz

@SPringfielder - damn.............DAMN! I forgot all about that Sev. I barely remember the Toys R Us that the Waterford evolved out off

@OP - yeah, that pic isnt the same place location that yr thinking off - but cool pic nontheless

Posted by: GordonBlvd ()
Date: January 31, 2013 11:36PM

@lord - Yeah it is a really nice pic...... LoLz...

Posted by: Huntington ()
Date: February 01, 2013 12:32AM

I remember Blackies, my parents took us there once or twice, those big windows with the palm trees really stood out. I also remember seeing a roach or two in those palm trees, ahh, the memory of a then elementary school kid. And that 7-11, there was a dry cleaner next door. There used to be a row of houses right there along Franconia Rd., next to Lee H.S. One of those ranch/ ramblers had Japanese screens in the large front windows, always thought that house looked really cool. That row of houses were torn down for the interchange, I believe.

Every year, right before Christmas, my parents would hire a sitter and do our toy shopping at Toys R Us, followed by drinks/ dinner at Rhiannon's. Side note, anyone remember that shit hole at Springfield Plaza, Chesapeake Bay Seafood House?

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: February 01, 2013 06:03AM

I believe the Valle's opened in the early 70s when that area in Springfield was being developed. There was one in Rockville, following the one in VA, one in MD rule.

After Blackie's came in, one side of the place became a nightclub. One night of the week was one of those "Bronco Billy's Texas/Western/Country themed nights. I'm not sure -- Monday???

I remember the Super Slide in Springfield on the other side of 95. Any pictures of that? Good Times!

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: February 01, 2013 09:14AM

Huntington Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember Blackies, my parents took us there once
> or twice, those big windows with the palm trees
> really stood out. I also remember seeing a roach
> or two in those palm trees, ahh, the memory of a
> then elementary school kid. And that 7-11, there
> was a dry cleaner next door. There used to be a
> row of houses right there along Franconia Rd.,
> next to Lee H.S. One of those ranch/ ramblers had
> Japanese screens in the large front windows,
> always thought that house looked really cool. That
> row of houses were torn down for the interchange,
> I believe.
>
> Every year, right before Christmas, my parents
> would hire a sitter and do our toy shopping at
> Toys R Us, followed by drinks/ dinner at
> Rhiannon's. Side note, anyone remember that shit
> hole at Springfield Plaza, Chesapeake Bay Seafood
> House?

Not only do I remember the Chesapeake Bay Seafood House in Springfield Plaza, I remember the one which was also open at the same time in the late 70s, early 80s, behind the bagel place, which used to be a Roy Rogers, which was a Burger Chef, at the corner of Old Keene Mill Rd and Rolling.

Posted by: section 8 sharon. ()
Date: February 01, 2013 09:20AM

Now its all day laborers - good times for me

Posted by: 22152 ()
Date: February 01, 2013 02:33PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
>
>
> Not only do I remember the Chesapeake Bay Seafood
> House in Springfield Plaza, I remember the one
> which was also open at the same time in the late
> 70s, early 80s, behind the bagel place, which used
> to be a Roy Rogers, which was a Burger Chef, at
> the corner of Old Keene Mill Rd and Rolling.

In the Burger Chef Plaza (where, by the way, I celebrated my sixth birthday - dinner out at Burger Chef), there was also a gas station (kind of behind the Burger Chef), a Fotomat between the gas station and the movie theatre (was Zaxx/Jaxx) and a farmers market/fruit stand across the street at the corner of Kenne Mill and Rolling.

I also recall the little old farmhouses all along Keene Mill Road.

Posted by: restraunts ()
Date: February 01, 2013 03:09PM

I reemmber Chesapeake Bay Seafood House for sure...

One of my favorites was in Springfield Mall- the old York Steak House.

Date: February 01, 2013 07:04PM

22152 Wrote:
> ...in the 22039 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> >
> > Not only do I remember the Chesapeake Bay
> Seafood
> > House in Springfield Plaza, I remember the one
> > which was also open at the same time in the
> late
> > 70s, early 80s, behind the bagel place, which
> used
> > to be a Roy Rogers, which was a Burger Chef, at
> > the corner of Old Keene Mill Rd and Rolling.
>
> In the Burger Chef Plaza (where, by the way, I
> celebrated my sixth birthday - dinner out at
> Burger Chef), there was also a gas station (kind
> of behind the Burger Chef), a Fotomat between the
> gas station and the movie theatre (was Zaxx/Jaxx)
> and a farmers market/fruit stand across the street
> at the corner of Kenne Mill and Rolling.
>
> I also recall the little old farmhouses all along
> Keene Mill Road.

My brother had one of his birthdays at Burger Chef when my Mom rented a double decker bus for all his friends to pile on and head over for food/cake.

I also remember Fotomat kiosk

The Sunoco used to be a Mobil, where a few of my redneck friends hung out in the 80s.

Things changed quickly in West Springfield and Burke in the 80s. And continued to change in the 90s and 00s, but not always for the better...

Hard to believe I have been in this area now, into decade #5...

Posted by: old ()
Date: February 01, 2013 07:17PM

Lord of Kings Park Wrote:
> Wow, OP...nice picture, man. That really takes me
> back. The lighting...the colors...just a classic
> image.

Just as cool as the Valle's sign is the Carrol's Hamburgers in the background! They were an early McD's competitor. There was a Carrol's in Annandale, across from the fire house. It's a Dominos now.

Date: February 02, 2013 01:42AM

blanche Wrote:
> I believe the Valle's opened in the early 70s when
> that area in Springfield was being developed.
> There was one in Rockville, following the one in
> VA, one in MD rule.
>
> After Blackie's came in, one side of the place
> became a nightclub. One night of the week was one
> of those "Bronco Billy's Texas/Western/Country
> themed nights. I'm not sure -- Monday???
>
> I remember the Super Slide in Springfield on the
> other side of 95. Any pictures of that? Good
> Times!

Wow, that was the Western themed place! I think I went there once or twice. Fun, but I was more into Led Zeppelin!

Yes, I remember the super slide. Fun stuff!

The houses behind the Courtyard by Marriot (used to be approx. location of Valle's) were built in the mid 1950s. And back in the corner of the lot where Valle's was, used to be a grove of trees with an older home in the middle. We decided that house was haunted.

Across the street from the 7-11 was a gas station, then one house on the corner of Pioneer Drive and Franconia Rd. That line of houses continued down to Frontier Dr. Pioneer Drive also used to continue onto Franconia Road.

And, there used to be a pig farm off of Franconia Road. I believe it was located sort of where the mall is now. Maybe someone knows about this?

The first traffic light in Springfield was at the intersection of Backlick Road and Old Keene Mill Road. (Yes, Backlick Road used to intersect with Old Keene Mill Road.) On the corner were pony rides and across from that was a drive-in restaurant (with carhops!) which turned into the Hot Shoppes (anyone remember the teen twist sandwich and the orange freeze?), which then turned into something else (can't remember), then turned into Houlihans (which moved to the Springfield Hilton). And now, it's a Residence Inn. I think I remember all that correctly.

Wow, I am OLD! Time to go rest my arthritic hands!

Posted by: HI 4 eva ()
Date: February 02, 2013 08:04AM

The Valles sign reminds me of the great old Holiday inn sign.
They have a fully functional one on display at the American sign museum.
Attachments:
hi sign.jpg

pro-tip: Old Keene Mill actually changes into Franconia Rd at Backlick, not at 95
Date: February 02, 2013 09:00AM

I stole this from the old Fairfax pics thread - yr welcome - LoLz

@Springfielder - that old Backlick/Old Keene Mill/Franconia light would back up traffic onto 95, which would in turn back up traffic on both loops of the Beltway and 395. Getting rid of that one light improved the lives of many a person LoLz - I dont remember the name of the restaurant you forgot, but whatever it was, the were a local chain and had their original location in McLean at the corner of 123@ Old Dominion (I think Houligans took that location as well)

@22039/22152 - is the Sunoco that's there the gas station y'all are talking about?

@mini me - it is a nice pic, aint it? =)

does anybody remember the original "international" food court at the mall? And...............well this may sound crazy but was there a store in a tree in the mall? If there was, it was in the middle of a hallway and it may have been near Hong Kong ( you gotta remember Hong Kong LoLz)
Attachments:
Chesapeake Bay 009-crop.jpg

Posted by: medium well ()
Date: February 02, 2013 09:43AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @SPringfielder - damn.............DAMN! I forgot
> all about that Sev. I barely remember the

We used to go to Gary's Steakhouse in Springfield all the time when I was a kid.

Re: pro-tip: Old Keene Mill actually changes into Franconia Rd at Backlick, not at 95
Date: February 02, 2013 10:33AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> I stole this from the old Fairfax pics thread - yr
> welcome - LoLz
>
> @Springfielder - that old Backlick/Old Keene
> Mill/Franconia light would back up traffic onto
> 95, which would in turn back up traffic on both
> loops of the Beltway and 395. Getting rid of that
> one light improved the lives of many a person LoLz
> - I dont remember the name of the restaurant you
> forgot, but whatever it was, the were a local
> chain and had their original location in McLean at
> the corner of 123@ Old Dominion (I think Houligans
> took that location as well)
>
> @22039/22152 - is the Sunoco that's there the gas
> station y'all are talking about?
>
> @mini me - it is a nice pic, aint it? =)
>
> does anybody remember the original "international"
> food court at the mall? And...............well
> this may sound crazy but was there a store in a
> tree in the mall? If there was, it was in the
> middle of a hallway and it may have been near Hong
> Kong ( you gotta remember Hong Kong LoLz)

The Sunoco on the Rolling Road side was a Mobil. The Shell on the OKM side (next to the Country Club) used to be a Texaco.

I still have two of those old wooden menus. One is like you show, the other was autographed by all my family who ate that night, whatever the occasion. Line used to be out the door for AYCE Crab Legs.

I don't remember the store in a tree, but do remember the purple carpet in the circular brick pits with benches in the corridors of Springfield Mall. I think it was renovated in 1986 or 1987 to what it was, most recently.

Joi Wig used to be in the center, in a glass, round store, near where the elevator would be. Joi Wig moved to "outside" the mall over by the FOrd dealer, now Joi Wig is in Springfoeld near the Outback and new Chick Fil A.

Was the old restaurant a Clydes? I ate at Houlihans, many a night in 1989-1991. I also remember in the 70s and early 80s, you could go across OKM Rd on Backlick. I think it was just a 2 way STOP sign, in my earliest memories.

The area has changed A LOT!!!

Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 02, 2013 11:00AM

I believe the Springfield Steak house you are talking about was originally a Phineas...then Charley's Place...then Houlihan's, all the same company, as the one in McLean was also a Charley's Place...now J Gilbert. Charley's Place also had a location in Faifax, accross from Carlos O' Kellys. The last lone Phineas was in Rockville.

Valle's was great in Springfield for the 2 live Maine Lobster special. Being from Maine, my folks would take us to the original one in Portland and in Portsmouth, and we were excited when one was opened here.

Carrol's was huge in Mass. and I'm pretty sure that sign is from Mass., where the largest amount of Valle's were located. Valle's did have over 40 locations up and down the East Coast prior to shutting them all down by the late 80's/early 90's.

Keep those memories coming...Thanks!

Date: February 02, 2013 11:27AM

You are right, Charley's was the place, not Clydes

Date: February 02, 2013 02:50PM

Like any big corporation, Valle's was all about standardization: menu, recipes, uniforms, exterior signs like the one shown in the pic, and of course the buildings themselves were all the same: size, entrance, bar area, dining and functions rooms.

Does anyone know if the Valle's building in Rockville still exists? I'd like go back up there and poke around if it's still standing.

Date: February 02, 2013 03:00PM

Ah, Phineas, my family would go there for special occasions in the late 70s. I remember leaving a Happy Hour with my co-workers at the joint and getting in my car and hearing that John Belushi had died...So that was 1982.

I vaguely remember the Carrolls in Annandle, I believe it is the building where the Dominos is located.

I think the Valles in Rockville is gone, around the location of the Holiday Inn that used to have a studebakers in it.

Date: February 02, 2013 07:44PM

Clydes Place! yup, that's it. Phineas, I dont remember.

but I sure as heck remember that line for Chesapeake Bay! I used to LOVE their hushpuppies =)

Quickie Springfield Memories:

1) The park and ride lot used to be a combo of Long John Silvers and a Circuit City. The Circuit City replaced a long-standing movie theater - anybody remember the name of that place?

2) the Paper Moon (the strip club) is part of a larger building, that I believe used to be a small department store. I recall going there as a kid and playing a pinball machine that they were selling LoLz. Anybody know the name of it? The entrance to it was facing the Backlick Rd/Bland St intersection (were the Sunoco is)

3) Springfield Tower used to have a gas station under it! And nextdoor, where the Bob Evans is, it used to be another restaurant (that was REALLY popular!) and before that, I think it was a HoJos

edit: LoLz Honourable Mention to the old original single-arch type McDonalds that never got a drive thru at the corner of Commerce and Brandon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 07:49PM by Gordon Blvd.

Posted by: lk ()
Date: February 02, 2013 08:07PM

There was a grocery store Bon Foods in the same shopping center Paper Moon is located. Paper Moon had a different name.

Posted by: OldtimeResident ()
Date: February 02, 2013 08:36PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> I believe the Springfield Steak house you are
> talking about was originally a Phineas...then
> Charley's Place...then Houlihan's, all the same
> company, as the one in McLean was also a Charley's
> Place...now J Gilbert. Charley's Place also had a
> location in Faifax, accross from Carlos O' Kellys.
> The last lone Phineas was in Rockville.
>
> Valle's was great in Springfield for the 2 live
> Maine Lobster special. Being from Maine, my folks
> would take us to the original one in Portland and
> in Portsmouth, and we were excited when one was
> opened here.
>
> Carrol's was huge in Mass. and I'm pretty sure
> that sign is from Mass., where the largest amount
> of Valle's were located. Valle's did have over 40
> locations up and down the East Coast prior to
> shutting them all down by the late 80's/early
> 90's.
>
> Keep those memories coming...Thanks!

I believe the evolution of that corner was:

Victoria Station steak house (70's)
Phineas (70's / 80's)
Beefsteak Charlies - (80's)
Closed for a couple years
Flashbacks nightclub (80's)
Closed for a while
Houlihan's (90's)

Date: February 02, 2013 08:44PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
>
> 1) The park and ride lot used to be a combo of
> Long John Silvers and a Circuit City. The Circuit
> City replaced a long-standing movie theater -
> anybody remember the name of that place?
>
> 2) the Paper Moon (the strip club) is part of a
> larger building, that I believe used to be a small
> department store. I recall going there as a kid
> and playing a pinball machine that they were
> selling LoLz. Anybody know the name of it? The
> entrance to it was facing the Backlick Rd/Bland St
> intersection (were the Sunoco is)
>
> 3) Springfield Tower used to have a gas station
> under it! And nextdoor, where the Bob Evans is,
> it used to be another restaurant (that was REALLY
> popular!) and before that, I think it was a HoJos
>
> edit: LoLz Honourable Mention to the old original
> single-arch type McDonalds that never got a drive
> thru at the corner of Commerce and Brandon

The movie theater was Springfield Cinema - It was a fairly large theater and the big attraction was they had rocking chairs. It was split into two theaters in the late 80's then razed for Circut City

The store in the Paper Moon (used to be Dauphine's) was originally a Bon Food. then it was redone and opened as a Best & Company.

The gas station under Springfield Tower was an Exxon station

I don't remember another restaurant between HoJo's & the Bob Evans. They tore the HoJo's down and that lot was vacant until they built the Bob Evnas

That McDonalds was the original one in the area

Date: February 02, 2013 08:51PM

blanche Wrote:
>
> After Blackie's came in, one side of the place
> became a nightclub. One night of the week was one
> of those "Bronco Billy's Texas/Western/Country
> themed nights. I'm not sure -- Monday???
>

Blackies went full Country during the early 90's Country craze. They served dinner until 8pm then the whole place turned into a dance hall. THere was also Deja'Vu on the other end of the building (dance club). I remember being there one Thursday night when Alan Jackson came in after a sound check at the Patriot center and did a walk on set with the local band.

Date: February 02, 2013 08:57PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> Clydes Place! yup, that's it. Phineas, I dont
> remember.
>
> but I sure as heck remember that line for
> Chesapeake Bay! I used to LOVE their hushpuppies
> =)
>
> Quickie Springfield Memories:
>
> 1) The park and ride lot used to be a combo of
> Long John Silvers and a Circuit City. The Circuit
> City replaced a long-standing movie theater -
> anybody remember the name of that place?
>
> 2) the Paper Moon (the strip club) is part of a
> larger building, that I believe used to be a small
> department store. I recall going there as a kid
> and playing a pinball machine that they were
> selling LoLz. Anybody know the name of it? The
> entrance to it was facing the Backlick Rd/Bland St
> intersection (were the Sunoco is)
>
> 3) Springfield Tower used to have a gas station
> under it! And nextdoor, where the Bob Evans is,
> it used to be another restaurant (that was REALLY
> popular!) and before that, I think it was a HoJos
>
> edit: LoLz Honourable Mention to the old original
> single-arch type McDonalds that never got a drive
> thru at the corner of Commerce and Brandon

Before the Long John Silver was there, it was Gino's chicken. We used to get a bucket of chicken on our way to watch the fireworks downtown or concert at the Jefferson Memorial. This would have been early 1980s.

Last movie I recall seeing at the theaters in Springfield, was Ghostbusters, whatever year that was. Then it sat vacant until Circuit city moved down from there is was - remember, circuit city was in that tiny out building, which is now Men's Wearhouse at Spfld. mall.

The deparment store, I want to say was Service Merchandise, but I am probably wrong...

Date: February 02, 2013 09:03PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
>
> Before the Long John Silver was there, it was
> Gino's chicken. We used to get a bucket of chicken
> on our way to watch the fireworks downtown or
> concert at the Jefferson Memorial. This would have
> been early 1980s.

Before Gino's it was a Tops Drive-in. Then Gino's came in; it was the only place you could get KFC unless you wanted to drive to Fredricksburg

Date: February 02, 2013 09:06PM

Best Products, was in the plaza across from Dauphines, where Giant Food is situated.

Well, Best Products was actually about 100 yards to the right, if looking at Giant Food.

Anyways, I remember they had those lame catalogs, you "wrote" your orders, then they had the upper warehouse send it down the conveyor belts to "customer pick up"

I think Best Products finally went under in this area, around 1994 or 1995.

Used to be a record and tape shop where Chipotle sits now...

Oh, and the Dauphines Steak House was Dauphines, dating back to the late 70s/early 80s, from my recollection, but I was too young to go there at the time...

Date: February 02, 2013 09:08PM

John Greenan and Sons

^^^ Ring a bell, anyone? This was the store across the road from Dauphines, a dept. store, I thought... Maybe the place Gordon Blvd. recalls?

Posted by: lk ()
Date: February 02, 2013 09:08PM

What was the name of the little pizza place in the strip mall. I think it was Rosies. They had the best pizza burgers and thin pizza at the time.

Date: February 02, 2013 09:09PM

@Old Time Resident...It was never a Beefsteak Charlies...It was Charley's Place....Flashback was the name of the lounge as we used that lounge concept in many Charley's Places..Bala Cynwyd...Long Island...etc.

Posted by: Huntington ()
Date: February 02, 2013 09:47PM

This is why I used to love this forum, old school stuff! I can remember when Hooes Rd. had a 1 lane bridge (a crazy, scary wooden bridge) between Sydenstricker and Rolling, and again towards what is now that vast retirement complex where the old Hunter estate used to be. Closer to Backlick. These roads don't even exist anymore, the Parkway wiped them out. But sometimes I'll take a drive w/ my Dad and we will explore what used to be. One of the biggest shockers is the new road through Saratoga. Who the eff knew so much land the proving ground occupied, crazy!

Date: February 02, 2013 11:07PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> John Greenan and Sons
>
>
> ^^^ Ring a bell, anyone? This was the store across
> the road from Dauphines, a dept. store, I
> thought... Maybe the place Gordon Blvd. recalls?
Yes! When they opened that Space originally it was a W Bell & Co. - you're right that Best was over in Springfield Plaza.

The record shop was a Waxie Maxie in the 80's, I don't remember what it was in the 70's. How about the old Springfield Donuts that was next to the People's Drug (CVS)? Wasn't there a little hardware store in there too?

Date: February 03, 2013 12:41AM

Yes, Phineas II, that was the steak house name!

Hey, we thought we had made it when Springfield finally got that first McDonalds in Springfield! We even drove there from West Springfield HS.

On the corner of Bland St. and Brandon Ave. used to be the Springfield Pharmacy, down from Baskins Robbins. The original Springfield Pharmacy store had a soda fountain. Across from that (where Total Wine is now) was the original location of Fischer's hardware. Catty corner from the Springfield Pharmacy was a grocery store that had a really cool (as a kid, it was cool) conveyor belt where you'd put your groceries inside bins. The belt would move your groceries outside to put in your car. When the grocery store closed, Fischer's hardware moved in and a cosmetics store moved into the old Fisher's location. Ficher's then moved to their current location (which sad to say, may be their last as it doesn't look like they're coming back from their lawsuit with Ace Hardware--hope they can pull through). When Fishcer's moved to their current location, the old store sat vacant for awhile, then the Total Wine moved in. Total Wine then moved into the original location of Fisher's hardware where is remains. Whew.

In the Springfield Plaza down from the Giant Food (which used to be Super Giant), was a Kresge's five and dime store. I remember as a kid that it was like Christmas going in there, you could find anything a little kid would want. (Remember troll dolls?)

In the Springfield Plaza parking lot, we'd get a carnival every year and our own fireworks display every July 4th.

Yes, the original mall design had some small glass enclosed stores in the middle. I think one started out as the original Britches? One was a flower shop at some point. I seem to remember that the conversation pits in the mall were removed because there were too many instances of hanky panky going on.

Ahhhh, memories!

Posted by: Jack. H ()
Date: February 03, 2013 12:45AM

Haven't been Springfield way since November.

Is Fischer's Hardware still closed and all the old inventory sitting on the shelves with a lot of lights left on?

Has the Dunkin' Donuts re-opened. I think it might have closed for remodeling.

The food is still very good at Roy Rogers I'm assuming.

White People still not allowed at the Walmart on Friday nights, all day Saturdays and parts of Sunday?

I never have been to MVC. I can't figure out how to get to the darn place and I just ain't that horny in my old age anymore plus this internet thing.
Wonder why swinger Buzz has never done personal appearances for MVC? Hey, supposedly for buzz a buck is a buck. that's buck!

Date: February 03, 2013 07:55AM

Springfielder Wrote:
> Yes, Phineas II, that was the steak house name!
>
> Hey, we thought we had made it when Springfield
> finally got that first McDonalds in Springfield!
> We even drove there from West Springfield HS.
>
> On the corner of Bland St. and Brandon Ave. used
> to be the Springfield Pharmacy, down from Baskins
> Robbins. The original Springfield Pharmacy store
> had a soda fountain. Across from that (where Total
> Wine is now) was the original location of
> Fischer's hardware. Catty corner from the
> Springfield Pharmacy was a grocery store that had
> a really cool (as a kid, it was cool) conveyor
> belt where you'd put your groceries inside bins.
> The belt would move your groceries outside to put
> in your car. When the grocery store closed,
> Fischer's hardware moved in and a cosmetics store
> moved into the old Fisher's location. Ficher's
> then moved to their current location (which sad to
> say, may be their last as it doesn't look like
> they're coming back from their lawsuit with Ace
> Hardware--hope they can pull through). When
> Fishcer's moved to their current location, the old
> store sat vacant for awhile, then the Total Wine
> moved in. Total Wine then moved into the original
> location of Fisher's hardware where is remains.
> Whew.
>
> In the Springfield Plaza down from the Giant Food
> (which used to be Super Giant), was a Kresge's
> five and dime store. I remember as a kid that it
> was like Christmas going in there, you could find
> anything a little kid would want. (Remember troll
> dolls?)
>
> In the Springfield Plaza parking lot, we'd get a
> carnival every year and our own fireworks display
> every July 4th.
>
> Yes, the original mall design had some small glass
> enclosed stores in the middle. I think one started
> out as the original Britches? One was a flower
> shop at some point. I seem to remember that the
> conversation pits in the mall were removed because
> there were too many instances of hanky panky going
> on.
>
> Ahhhh, memories!

Bob's Barber - it was located in the strip with Baskin Robbins and the Springfield Restaurant on Bradon Avenue -- had a picture (huge poster size) of the "downtown" Springfield area, early 60s. The barber moved into the springfield Tower (7th floor or so) a few years ago. I believe "Bob" would have taken that picture with him. Perhaps you could traipse up there and take a look.

Posted by: Kings Parker ()
Date: February 03, 2013 08:17AM

Springfielder Wrote:
> Yes, Phineas II, that was the steak house name!
>
> Hey, we thought we had made it when Springfield
> finally got that first McDonalds in Springfield!
> We even drove there from West Springfield HS.
>
> On the corner of Bland St. and Brandon Ave. used
> to be the Springfield Pharmacy, down from Baskins
> Robbins. The original Springfield Pharmacy store
> had a soda fountain. Across from that (where Total
> Wine is now) was the original location of
> Fischer's hardware. Catty corner from the
> Springfield Pharmacy was a grocery store that had
> a really cool (as a kid, it was cool) conveyor
> belt where you'd put your groceries inside bins.
> The belt would move your groceries outside to put
> in your car. When the grocery store closed,
> Fischer's hardware moved in and a cosmetics store
> moved into the old Fisher's location. Ficher's
> then moved to their current location (which sad to
> say, may be their last as it doesn't look like
> they're coming back from their lawsuit with Ace
> Hardware--hope they can pull through). When
> Fishcer's moved to their current location, the old
> store sat vacant for awhile, then the Total Wine
> moved in. Total Wine then moved into the original
> location of Fisher's hardware where is remains.
> Whew.
>
> In the Springfield Plaza down from the Giant Food
> (which used to be Super Giant), was a Kresge's
> five and dime store. I remember as a kid that it
> was like Christmas going in there, you could find
> anything a little kid would want. (Remember troll
> dolls?)
>
> In the Springfield Plaza parking lot, we'd get a
> carnival every year and our own fireworks display
> every July 4th.
>
> Yes, the original mall design had some small glass
> enclosed stores in the middle. I think one started
> out as the original Britches? One was a flower
> shop at some point. I seem to remember that the
> conversation pits in the mall were removed because
> there were too many instances of hanky panky going
> on.
>
> Ahhhh, memories!

The grocery store was A&P. Dont forget "The little deli", ding how and the Howard Johnsons restaurant next to the tower where Bob Evans now stands.
I think ding how is still there but not sure.

Posted by: facebook thief ()
Date: February 03, 2013 10:21AM

Hay Gordon, that was my picture. ayce seafood!
Attachments:
Springfield 8.jpg
springfield 9.jpg
springfield 12.JPG

Logan Ford? When the heck was that?
Date: February 03, 2013 12:03PM

@facebook - and stolen with pride =) seriously, thanks for the pics - they are AWESOME! (as are you for putting them out there) I remember that BIG HOV "CLOSED" sign! Hey kids! The HOV lanes used to only have a gate with a latch to close it - one day, a windstorm blew it open - and THATS why we have those nifty railway arms on all the HOV entrances LoLz. Thats funny Safeway didnt have an arch back then....................OH WOW!! CHECK IT OUT! On the right of the pic is the Exxon that 22039 was talking about! Are you telling me they built Springfield Tower ON TOP OF THE GAS STATION!?!?!?!?!!??!?! IN-blanking-CREDIBLE!!! You can drive by there and STILL see the gas staion - I think the canopy is still there - no joke..................wow - Springfield Plaza looks so empty in that top pic LoLz

ok, Yes, 22039 - it's John Greenan and Sons - THANK YOU VERY MUCH for that. At first, I had thought Bell & Company (y'all remember them? LoLz) when Best was mentioned. Dunno if it ever was a Bell or not, but I remember it as a John Greenan - HOLY TIME WARP,BATMAN they are still in business!!! http://greenanjewelers.com/ - they're the jewlers next to Fishers LoLz - I never realized that :)
@Jack H. - That MVC was originally a bank ;)
@Huntington - yield to oncoming traffic LoLz - and didja know Pohick Rd used to dump out at where 123 and the Parkway interchange is. That's why the parkway changes from freeway to just "widened road" there (and why traffic backs up there every night LoLz) - cause from that point on until you get to 123, it's just a widened version of Pohick. The more you know................LoLz

@old time - that Waxie Maxie was one of the last ones around - pretty popular site as I recall

questions: the office building at the corner of 644 and Blacklick - you can see it in the top pic on the lefthand side. Well, that building has been completely abandoned for at least a decade now - anybody know it's story - why it cant rent out any tenants? doesnt seem like a COMPLETELY crappy location to have an office.........

and what was the dunkin doughnuts (middle of the middle pic) originally?

to EVERYONE - thanks for the memories - AWESOME! I cannot believe at one point in time someone decided to build and office tower on TOP of a gas station. The things you learn. LoLz

Posted by: sf ()
Date: February 03, 2013 03:41PM

Dunkin Doughnuts at one time was a Chinese place but I can't remember what it was before that. There was a pizza place that was one of a chain there across from the dealership. Does anyone remember the name?

Posted by: Oh my how its changed ()
Date: February 03, 2013 03:53PM

Before the chinese place was Lum's and the pizza place was Pizza Hut I'm pretty sure as we used to drink beer there when were not quite legal, before they dropped the age limit to 18 for a few years. I think they put those 2 buildings up after they took the water slide down. There was also a babe Ruth ball field across from the car wash.

Date: February 03, 2013 04:02PM

Thanks for the pics! They are great. And for the clarifications.

I remember that the Springfield Tower building was built between the gas station and the HoJos, now Bob Evans, but does butt up against the gas station. The tower bldg, gas station, Bob Evans and the old Total Wine locations are all owned by the same investment company.

Anyone remember the HoJos motel? It consisted of multiple one story bldgs located across what is now Commerce street from the existing Bob Evans. That was prior to the Commerce St. bridge across I-95 so that was a little used road. The motel closed long before the restaurant. Looks like you can see one of the motel bldgs in the middle pic above.

Also in the middle pic, the bldg on the bottom was the 2nd location for the Colonial Animal Hospital. It's now a Frizzles spa. The original location of the animal hospital was a bldg on Franconia Rd. sort of across from where Bowie Dr. originally ended on Franconia Rd. The bldg had a long canopied walk way from the front door.

Remember when Backlick Rd. continued all the way to Rt. 1? The Parkway messed up a lot of our old roads. Hooes Rd. used to end at Backlick between the 7900 ramp that brings you out onto Backlick and the bridge that goes over Backlick.

The 5-story office building in the first pic was the first "high rise" in Springfield. It was also where the original pony rides were located. Also, in the shopping center behind that bldg was the original Richard Byrd Library, which later turned into the Peyton Place restaurant. The corner store closest to the 5-story bldg was a really cool small drug store where my brother and I got our first fake vomit. Can't believe our parents ever footed the bill for that one.

I believe the Dunkin Donuts was originally a chicken place. Can't remember the name.

Anyone remember when Backlick Rd. was 2-way from Cumberland to Highland? The section of Amherst Ave. which now acts as a relief road for Backlick was a little used road full of pot holes.

Love these memories!

Date: February 03, 2013 04:16PM

I believe the pizza place was a Village Inn?? Had a front room with booths and tables and a back room with family style dining tables and later a band on Friday and Saturday nights. Wasn't there a fire pit in the front room?

I think the Chinese place, which used to be the Lums, was behind the Dunkin Donuts. The Dunkin Donuts was originally a chicken place.

And I think the super slide was down the street a bit, basically where the bank and the Blue Pearl is now.

Wow, don't remember a ball field there! Must be before my time.

Posted by: sf ()
Date: February 03, 2013 04:28PM

You are right about Village Inn. Could not think of that name. The pizza was actually good. I do remember the chicken place but not the name.

Date: February 03, 2013 04:34PM

Here's one for you...
Attachments:
plaza.jpg

Date: February 03, 2013 04:55PM

@sleepy - I was really hopeful that when I saw them working on the sign, that they would simply be fixing it so it would turn on again. Was kinda sad to see the sign change at first

@Springfield - thanks for clearing up that whole deal about the Tower and the Village Inn for me =)
As for Backlick, it's amazing how the "pattern" was changed over the years! That Hooes Rd intersection was like a "Y" and it had a large tree (which still is there, next to the ramp that leads from the eastbound Parkway to Backlick)

I wonder if anybody can possibly name EVERY road that the Parkway disrupted like it did Hooes and Pohick LoLz

I know Stuart & Sugarland Rds up in Dranesville got the treatment the same way so I bet there are more

p.s I remember those one-lane wooden "hump" bridges on Lee Chapel, Fairfax Station, Woodburn and Compton Rds which all got replaced when that Hooes Rd one did (actually Compton's stayed til the 90's I think)

Posted by: Oh my how it's changed ()
Date: February 03, 2013 04:59PM

Village in it was!Good times.Also remember when the McDonald's first opened and how we loved to watch them make the fries from the outside window. Lee '72

Date: February 03, 2013 05:21PM

Correction: Village Inn turned into Rocco's and I'm now thinking it was Rocco's that had the live bands, not Village Inn. Rocco's was a party place on the weekends!

Also, Fischer's hardware moved into the old A&P store across the street because of a fire. Had forgotten about that.

You are so right that the Parkway disrupted many, many roads around the whole area. Had all us natives scratching our heads trying to get around here. I remember seeing visitors stopped on the shoulders reading maps to try to figure out where to go. Of course it was fruitless because none of the maps had yet been updated.

Wow, I remember that Brookfield Plaza sign! That was back when that shopping center wasn't half bad!

Also, the small shopping center on Backlick Rd. across from where the Peyton Place restaurant was, used to have a butcher and a Heathkit store.

Wish this area hadn't gotten so damn big.

Posted by: gn ()
Date: February 03, 2013 05:47PM

Remember when the grocery stores gave either yellow or green stamps? Those were the stores my mom shopped at.

Date: February 03, 2013 05:51PM

Across from the Ford Dealer, was an awesome BBQ place in the 1980s. Had great ribs, and Texas toast. O'Briens, I believe... Now it's a super Chinese buffet.

Ding How, and how they were they were one of the few chinese restaurants in the 1970s and early 80s. They were near Perperage Farm thrift shop, where you could get cheap bread, but eat it quickly!!! Only good for a day or two...

And then the Pop Shoppes and bottles of soda pop.

So the big question is where are we going to go to Malek's Pizza for our "Old Springfield" meet and greet?

Posted by: jim143 ()
Date: February 03, 2013 09:42PM

I don't think it was a Best near Giant in Springfield Plaza, it was an Evans. Now it's a "buy buy Baby". I still have a Casio watch I bought at Evans in 1985. Best was in Shirlington and Fairfax. Bell was in Springfield Mall.

Date: February 03, 2013 09:51PM

There was a Best Product in Springfield Plaza. You are right, there was also one in Shirlington, and one was also in Fairfax City at Kamp Washington

Date: February 03, 2013 10:28PM

Oh yes, I remember Green Stamps and S&H Stamps and having to paste them in the little books after getting home from the grocery store. Seems every family at that time had a step stool paid by those stamps.

Ding How carry-out is still there! I think Ding How and Baskins Robbins are perhaps the only original stores in that shopping center.

Yes, O'Briens Pit Barbeque! Good stuff. Wasn't that originally where the Pearl Buffet is now on Commerce, closer to Backlick? That place was originally a Bugaboo Creek restaurant that had a talking moose hung on the wall. The kids loved it.

In Burke, anyone remember the small country store on the corner across from what is now the fire station? It eventually turned into a 7-11, but the country store was so very cool. The post office is there now and the road between the post office and fire station (now Old Burke Lake Rd.) was the original Burke Lake Road that continued from Braddock Rd., over the rail road tracks, through to the existing Burke Lake Road and continued to Rt. 123, then turned into Clifton Rd.

And Burke Rd. went all the way from Rolling Rd., around the 90 degree turn, across Burke Lake Road, over the rail road tracks and continued all the way to Guinea Rd.

If you turned right onto Guinea Rd., Patty's Riding Stables were up on the right hand side. I believe the original house still exists tucked back on Bronte Dr. That whole area was nothing but open fields and groves of trees. We used to get there early on a Saturday morning and ride the rented horses all through the area. What fun!

Thanks for the memories!

does anybody remember Guinea Rd ending at Pohick Rd? Long time ago!
Date: February 04, 2013 05:58AM

Y'all are SO AWESOME with these old memories! Bugaboo Creek and that damn moose! Evans!! (WOW, remember that chain?) And Pop Shoppes! Taking the bottles back to the place (or you could take them to select gas stations LoLz!) and Pepperidge Farms! (there also used to be one in Fairfax Shopping Center)

I think it was originally Evans in Springfield plaza then it became a Best when they went out of business - but I may be wrong about that

I remember life before the Great Wall of Burke LoLz. How traffic would back up to Braddock to Pohick daily and how a train coming thru would make life like the 4th level of hell (you kids think traffic is bad now on Burke Lake Rd - you have NO IDEA what it was like) - more burke memories here ;) http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/587007/page-1.html

in any event, I'm stunned nobody has mentioned Big Boys

Re: does anybody remember Guinea Rd ending at Pohick Rd? Long time ago!
Posted by: die already ()
Date: February 04, 2013 06:21AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> Y'all are SO AWESOME with these old memories!
> Bugaboo Creek and that damn moose! Evans!! (WOW,
> remember that chain?) And Pop Shoppes! Taking the
> bottles back to the place (or you could take them
> to select gas stations LoLz!) and Pepperidge
> Farms! (there also used to be one in Fairfax
> Shopping Center)
>
> I think it was originally Evans in Springfield
> plaza then it became a Best when they went out of
> business - but I may be wrong about that
>
> I remember life before the Great Wall of Burke
> LoLz. How traffic would back up to Braddock to
> Pohick daily and how a train coming thru would
> make life like the 4th level of hell (you kids
> think traffic is bad now on Burke Lake Rd - you
> have NO IDEA what it was like) - more burke
> memories here ;)
> http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/587
> 007/page-1.html
>
> in any event, I'm stunned nobody has mentioned Big
> Boys

Go choke on some cock, Gordo...LoLz!

Posted by: Mark Ratner ()
Date: February 04, 2013 06:52AM

My old pack would occasional go over to Springfield Mall to check out the chicks. Rumor had it over in McLean that Springfield girls were friendlier and prettier, especially the blondes. Are there any blondes left at all in Springfield?

We never did run into Linda Barrett at the Orange Julius. I do remember seeing ET at the movie theatre.

Posted by: jim143 ()
Date: February 04, 2013 07:00AM

I won't argue that Evans may have become Best in Springfield Plaza but I know I bought that watch at Evans in Springfield Plaza in '85. Best moved once or twice in Shirlington. It originally took over the building that Lansburgh's was in then moved down the street. Evans took over the S. Klein store in Lincolnia. Marshalls is there now. Evans was also at 50 and Glebe. I ate at the Big Boy (Shoney's? but they had the "Big Boy" out front) on Walter Reed and Columbia Pike months before it shut. Was the Big Boy in Springfield on the corner of Bland and Old Keene Mill? There's a Noodles & Co. now.

Posted by: ET go home ()
Date: February 04, 2013 07:14AM

Mark Ratner Wrote:
> I do remember seeing ET at the movie
> theatre.
Attachments:
Monique Wells Fairfax Underground Warwick.jpg

Posted by: Mike Damone ()
Date: February 04, 2013 07:25AM

Mark Ratner Wrote:
> Are there any blondes left at all in Springfield?
>
> We never did run into Linda Barrett at the Orange
> Julius. I do remember seeing ET at the movie
> theatre.

You're kidding right, Rat? The only chicks left in Springfield are brown savage girls, man...

I'm gonna' go listen to Zepp's "Kashmir" now even though it's not on the album 'Led Zeppelin IV' like I told you...

Posted by: Springfield Firefighter ()
Date: February 04, 2013 08:01AM

Springfielder Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, O'Briens Pit Barbeque! Good stuff. Wasn't
> that originally where the Pearl Buffet is now on
> Commerce, closer to Backlick? That place was
> originally a Bugaboo Creek restaurant that had a
> talking moose hung on the wall. The kids loved
> it.
>

Actually, long before it was a Bugaboo Creek it was a place called Swiss Chalet. They were based in Canada and opened a location in Springfield and Alexandria at the same time in 1980 (off Route 1 by Heritage Chevrolet). I helped get the place opened and worked as waiter there for the first 6 months they were in business. They had ribs and rotieserre chicken and employees got free meals anytime (not just when we worked). The Swiss Chalet restaurant in Springfield only lasted about 2 years or so. Not sure what it was between the time it closed and when Bugaboo Creek opened, but a lot of restaurants have been at that location.

Date: February 04, 2013 08:14AM

The Bugaboo Creek was after the O'Brien's Pit Barbeque.

The Big Boy was where Panda Express and the Wells Fargo are located now. It was built as a Shoney's and then went through various iterations before being vacant and then getting bulldozed, along with the Chi-Chi's that was next to it, where the Noodles and Company and Sandwich Nation are located.

ha ha I'm even hated on this thread =)
Date: February 04, 2013 12:45PM

@blanche - oh WOW! Forgot about Chi-Chi's! That's what Charley's Place eventually turned into after it after Hooligans!

Big Boy's was a kinda wierd place when it came to names. There was Shoney's Big Boy as well as Bob's Big Bob around here (and I think there were other "types" of Big Boys across the country. Man, their breakfast buffet was REEAAAALLLY popular at that Springfield Plaza location.

@jim - the Evans @ 50&Glebe is currently a Goodwill. There was also one they opened in Dale City off of the Blvd - it seems they opened it like maybe a cpl months before they went out of business. I think it's steakhouse now, I dont know. And yes, the Big Boy's was where Noodles is now.

@die - you really need to see a proctologist about all that butthurt you have LoLz

Date: February 04, 2013 02:34PM

I think the ChiChi's was built as a ChiChi's, the Hot Shoppes/Phineas/Houlihans/Charley's was on the other side of the bridge where the new hotel was recently built. That restaurant was located at the disaster intersection of Backlickk/Old Keene Mill Road that caused a huge backups in every direction, especially when the Mall was built. That's one reason the Commerce Street bridge was built over 95, located between the HoJo's restaurant and the HoJo's motel.

The abandoned office building at the Backlick/Old Keene Mill corner was the Springfield office for our congressman Stan Paris "Paris in the Fall" before he was defeated by the likes of "The Jim and Gerry Show."

Re: ha ha I'm even hated on this thread =)
Posted by: Springfield Firefighter ()
Date: February 04, 2013 02:35PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @blanche - oh WOW! Forgot about Chi-Chi's!
> That's what Charley's Place eventually turned into
> after it after Hooligans!

Wrong! Chi-Chis was across what is now Amherst Ave from Charley's Place. Back then Amherst was not a raised multi lane/pedestrian overpass. We used to go to Chi-Chi's after work at Charley's Place for Happy Hour. The Homewood Suites is where Chi-Chis used to be and the Residence Inn is where Charley's Place once stood. When the configuration of Backlick Road was shifted and the Amherst Avenue overpass constructed, that basically put Shoney's and Chi-Chi's out of business.

Shoney's changed into some other restaurant, but failed after a few months. Chi-Chis unique architecture prevented it from morphing into anything else. When the corporate office closed it, it lay abandonded for years, until some homeless living inside it set it on fire. It was demolished shortly thereafter. Also, Noodles & Co, Sandwhich Repuclic and the Terriyaki Place are where Shoney's/Big Boy used to be.

Blanche - The building where Panda Express is now, used to be a bank, then was a Kinko's before it moved around the corner.

Posted by: mgnut ()
Date: February 04, 2013 02:48PM

restraunts Wrote:
> I reemmber Chesapeake Bay Seafood House for
> sure...
>
> One of my favorites was in Springfield Mall- the
> old York Steak House.

York Steak House near Time Out #2 and across from Pizza Delight Jr.

#3 medium with steak fries. Man I miss that place.

hey kids! - Remember when metrobuses went UNDER the Pentagon to stop? GREAT security plan, eh? LoLz
Date: February 04, 2013 03:47PM

@mgnut - was this steak house at the very end of the corridor? If so, I think it turned into some tex-mex restaurant.

@firefighter/blanche - y'all are very right - I've confused those locations before in my life and yeah, it's cause of the overpass I do that - good catch :) Man, I forgot about how Chi-Chis sat there for years. Seems sooooo long ago.

bonus points to however can tell us what replaced Shoneys. I dont even think that place lasted a year. I have no idea what it was.

new memories: Five Guys was Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips and there was a Greyhound Bus Station in the shopping center where Outback is in.

also: this may need to be started in another thread, but.................does anybody recall the history of slugging? Did it start at the movie theater or at Daventry? I really dont remember how it all went down but that's prolly a story in and of itself .......................

Re: hey kids! - Remember when metrobuses went UNDER the Pentagon to stop? GREAT security plan, eh? LoLz
Date: February 04, 2013 04:21PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @mgnut - was this steak house at the very end of
> the corridor? If so, I think it turned into some
> tex-mex restaurant.
>
> @firefighter/blanche - y'all are very right -
> I've confused those locations before in my life
> and yeah, it's cause of the overpass I do that -
> good catch :) Man, I forgot about how Chi-Chis
> sat there for years. Seems sooooo long ago.
>
>
> bonus points to however can tell us what replaced
> Shoneys. I dont even think that place lasted a
> year. I have no idea what it was.
>
>
> new memories: Five Guys was Arthur Treachers Fish
> and Chips and there was a Greyhound Bus Station in
> the shopping center where Outback is in.
>
> also: this may need to be started in another
> thread, but.................does anybody recall
> the history of slugging? Did it start at the
> movie theater or at Daventry? I really dont
> remember how it all went down but that's prolly a
> story in and of itself .......................

The Shoney's turned into some burger joint with painted windows. Looked rather "urban", and as stated, lasted a few mos. Then someone piled mattresses in the place, and then the BBQ smoker would park out front in the afternoons and cook... This was around 2005-2007...

I remember the Greyhound bus station, which was in the same brick plaza as the old Yamaha Motorcycle shop. The "harley" accessory shop was across the way, in Brookfield Plaza.

Anyways, "Slugging" was in the Movie Theatre parking lot, but people parked across the street, behind the old Kinkos, which is now Panda Express.

Spent many afternoons at Arthur Treacher's while my GrandDad had his VW serviced at LEE VW, as he smoked cigs and we at planks of fish, back when smoing wasn't so taboo...

Re: hey kids! - Remember when metrobuses went UNDER the Pentagon to stop? GREAT security plan, eh? LoLz
Date: February 04, 2013 04:24PM

Anyone remember "RON'S Speed Shop"?

Located near the Subway restaurant on Backlick Rd., just before Old Keene Mill.

I think it was there until the mid-90s, when internet killed the mom and pop speed shops w/ mail order.

Hayfield and Loisdale pits were always great for memories.

Date: February 04, 2013 07:42PM

Springfielder Wrote:
> I believe the pizza place was a Village Inn?? Had
> a front room with booths and tables and a back
> room with family style dining tables and later a
> band on Friday and Saturday nights. Wasn't there a
> fire pit in the front room?
>
> I think the Chinese place, which used to be the
> Lums, was behind the Dunkin Donuts. The Dunkin
> Donuts was originally a chicken place.
>
> And I think the super slide was down the street a
> bit, basically where the bank and the Blue Pearl
> is now.
>
> Wow, don't remember a ball field there! Must be
> before my time.

The Village in had the first pong game in the area. They (and Lums) were also really loose on IDing for beer.

The chicken place was a KFC (then Kentucky Fried Chicken) franchise or dealer. They had a big rotating chicken bucket as a sign out front - you can just make it out in the above picture.

The ball fields were across the street from the chicken place - where the Courtyard Inn is now. They were farm league fields - the good fields were down at Johnson & Whimsat.

Obrien's BBQ came in after the Swiss place and was there for a few years. It had the best bar in Springfield until Mike's opened. We closed it more nights than I care to remember. After Obrien's left it sat vacant for a couple of years until Bugaboo Steakhouse came in. The original Obriens is still operationg as Branded 72 in Rockville and there is still a Bugaboo Steakhouse in Rockville. You can see it from 270.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2013 07:52PM by OldtimeResident.

Date: February 04, 2013 08:03PM

@Springfield Firefighter: Wow, I had forgotten about the Swiss Chalet! That damn moose distracted me.

I loved Arthur Treachers and Chi Chi's! Don't really care for seafood, but that I liked--with the malt vinegar. And Chi Chi's actually served a pretty good burger.

I remember the bus station, but was it possibly in the other shopping center that was torn down to enable the VW lot expansion?

Anyone remember:

When Springfield Plaza was a single row of stores--no K-mart?

That the original tenant of the small office bldg on the corner of Commerce and Old Keene Mill near the Richard Bryd Library was the Springfield Independent newspaper?

Thank you one and all.

Date: February 04, 2013 08:10PM

Springfielder Wrote:
> @Springfield Firefighter: Wow, I had forgotten
> about the Swiss Chalet! That damn moose distracted
> me.
>
> I loved Arthur Treachers and Chi Chi's! Don't
> really care for seafood, but that I liked--with
> the malt vinegar. And Chi Chi's actually served a
> pretty good burger.
>
> I remember the bus station, but was it possibly in
> the other shopping center that was torn down to
> enable the VW lot expansion?
>
>
> Anyone remember:
>
> When Springfield Plaza was a single row of
> stores--no K-mart?
>
> That the original tenant of the small office bldg
> on the corner of Commerce and Old Keene Mill near
> the Richard Bryd Library was the Springfield
> Independent newspaper?
>
> Thank you one and all.

I don't really recall Springfield Plaza before KMart, but do remember before Chili's was built (or occupied the corner near Kmart) and it may have been around the same time.

The bus station WAS in the old brick plaza which was torn down when they "widened" the mixing bowl. Once it was demolished, then Springfield VW was moved to the empty lot. But I somehow recall the trigger being the I95 corridor being widened a lane or two...

I also remember the 7-11 at the top of the hill as you drive east on Old Keene Mill Rd towards spfld on the right, was an old looking 7-11 like so many others... Once those brick townhomes were built, THEY funded building a nice brick 7-11 to match the theme of the new construction. This may have been 1982 or 1983?

Posted by: old ()
Date: February 04, 2013 09:20PM

Springfielder Wrote:
> Oh yes, I remember Green Stamps and S&H Stamps and
> having to paste them in the little books after
> getting home from the grocery store. Seems every
> family at that time had a step stool paid by those
> stamps.

S&H Green Stamps were one and the same. Then there was Top Value Stamps (yellow stamps) which I'm pretty sure were owned by Giant Food because you only got yellow stamps at Giant. Plus, the Top Value showrooms were usually next door to a Giant store.

I think there were also Plaid stamps but I don't remember anything about them.

Date: February 04, 2013 09:31PM

Springfielder Wrote:
>
>
> I remember the bus station, but was it possibly in
> the other shopping center that was torn down to
> enable the VW lot expansion?
>
>
> Anyone remember:
>
> When Springfield Plaza was a single row of
> stores--no K-mart?
>
> That the original tenant of the small office bldg
> on the corner of Commerce and Old Keene Mill near
> the Richard Bryd Library was the Springfield
> Independent newspaper?
>
> Thank you one and all.

The bus station was in the brick shopping center south of the center where the Outback is.

I remember Springfield Plaza before K-Mart, it was just a big open field. They used to set fireworkes off from that field on the 4th of July

I also remember the Springfield Independant.

Posted by: Rem E. Nisce ()
Date: February 04, 2013 09:34PM

Remember when there were no brown savages?

Posted by: Old 2 ()
Date: February 04, 2013 09:59PM

old Wrote:
> Springfielder Wrote:
> -----
> > Oh yes, I remember Green Stamps and S&H Stamps
> and
> > having to paste them in the little books after
> > getting home from the grocery store. Seems
> every
> > family at that time had a step stool paid by
> those
> > stamps.
>
>
> S&H Green Stamps were one and the same. Then
> there was Top Value Stamps (yellow stamps) which
> I'm pretty sure were owned by Giant Food because
> you only got yellow stamps at Giant. Plus, the
> Top Value showrooms were usually next door to a
> Giant store.
>
> I think there were also Plaid stamps but I don't
> remember anything about them.

Correct. They were S&H Green Stamps.

They had a store in Shirlington where you could redeem them. My sister and I saved those stupid stamps forever until we had enough to get something. I got a transistor radio. Still have it somewhere here and at least of last check it still worked.

Oh... and I got a fake plastic house plant tree kinda thing. lol No idea why. Must have been the best of the crap that they had that I had enough stamps left over to get.

I recall seeing the plaid stamps too but I don't remember much more than that either. I did find this so we're not senile yet.

200px-Plaid_Stamp_sign_at_Cracker_Barrel

Date: February 04, 2013 10:14PM

Next to the Safeway was a Ponderosa Steak House. What was the name of the Health Club (rumored to be a swinger's club) that opened to the right of the Ponderosa?

Posted by: Weird Al's ()
Date: February 04, 2013 11:15PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> bonus points to however can tell us what replaced
> Shoneys. I dont even think that place lasted a
> year. I have no idea what it was

Pretty sure it was called "Al's"

Re: pro-tip: Old Keene Mill actually changes into Franconia Rd at Backlick, not at 95
Posted by: jj2 ()
Date: February 04, 2013 11:51PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> I stole this from the old Fairfax pics thread - yr
> welcome - LoLz
>
> @Springfielder - that old Backlick/Old Keene
> Mill/Franconia light would back up traffic onto
> 95, which would in turn back up traffic on both
> loops of the Beltway and 395. Getting rid of that
> one light improved the lives of many a person LoLz
> - I dont remember the name of the restaurant you
> forgot, but whatever it was, the were a local
> chain and had their original location in McLean at
> the corner of 123@ Old Dominion (I think Houligans
> took that location as well)
>
> @22039/22152 - is the Sunoco that's there the gas
> station y'all are talking about?
>
> @mini me - it is a nice pic, aint it? =)
>
> does anybody remember the original "international"
> food court at the mall? And...............well
> this may sound crazy but was there a store in a
> tree in the mall? If there was, it was in the
> middle of a hallway and it may have been near Hong
> Kong ( you gotta remember Hong Kong LoLz)

Love that old menu. Brings back memories when I worked as deep fry cook in high school. The food was great. I wish they never closed.

Date: February 07, 2013 01:30PM

Weird Al's Wrote:
> Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> -----
> > bonus points to however can tell us what
> replaced
> > Shoneys. I dont even think that place lasted a
> > year. I have no idea what it was
>
> Pretty sure it was called "Al's"

I think you may be right, "Al's" does seem to ring a bell...

Date: February 07, 2013 01:43PM

@Wierd/22039 - that place came and went so fast, I couldnt possibly tell ya - LoLz

@Old 2- i remember the Best in Shirlington has a parking lot that was all gravel - pretty odd for a department store around here, even back then

Date: February 07, 2013 04:11PM

The Best in Shirlington was a Landsberg Department Store and the shopping center was going under some transformation when the gravel parking lot was there. When I was a little kid, I hated walking over the huge grate that was on the sidewalk as you went into the building. My mom loved to go to Shirlington or Parkington to shop, instead of Seven Corners which was closer to where we lived.

Also, Landsberg was one of the anchor stores when Springfield Mall opened and the chain closed within a year of the mall opening. Then the store (at Springfield Mall) was an E.J. Korvette with that great record department. All of those "Washington Shopping Plate" stores have bit the dust.

Posted by: a long time Spfld resident ()
Date: February 07, 2013 05:34PM

Wow! Reading through this whole blog brought back many memories. I am in my 50's now but I grew in Loisdale, went to Forestdale Elementary; Key Intermediate; and R.E. Lee High. (Go Lancers). I remember all the various places that people have been talking about and all are lost to history. I remember when Springfield was just a sleepy little town. But gosh, not any more. Here's something I'm wondering if anyone remembers, remember the two-bay volunteer fire department (Co. 22) that operated out of an old gas station across the street from Tower Center where the Holiday Inn is now? My parents were one of founders of that fire department. And look at Co. 22 now. Whew! Times of change. I remember riding my bike around the old gravel washing pit of what is now Kingstowne. Gad I feel old and sadly tired. Can't go home again. Been fun.

Date: February 07, 2013 07:28PM

blanche Wrote:
> The Best in Shirlington was a Landsberg Department
> Store and the shopping center was going under some
> transformation when the gravel parking lot was
> there. When I was a little kid, I hated walking
> over the huge grate that was on the sidewalk as
> you went into the building. My mom loved to go to
> Shirlington or Parkington to shop, instead of
> Seven Corners which was closer to where we lived.
>
> Also, Landsberg was one of the anchor stores when
> Springfield Mall opened and the chain closed
> within a year of the mall opening. Then the store
> (at Springfield Mall) was an E.J. Korvette with
> that great record department. All of those
> "Washington Shopping Plate" stores have bit the
> dust.

I worked at the Lansburgh's store in the mall. It was actually a pretty good place to work. They closed the store prior to the last 3-day sale and completed inventory and mark downs. We then had time to buy what we wanted before they reopened for the public sale. We were told ahead of time, "remember, you're not here to try to get the customers to come back." We obviously understood that we didn't have to be nice! (That was back in the day when store employees were held to a higher standard regarding dealings with their customers.)

The "Washington Shopping Plate," was a pale blue credit card that was accepted at Jelleff's, Raleighs, Lansburgh's, Lord and Taylor, Garfinckels, Woodward and Lothrop (Woodies), and Hechts, which I believe was the last store to close. Very convenient because that was back in the day when the department stores only accepted their own credit cards--no Mastercard or Visa.

Ahhh, thanks for the memories! You people keep coming up with more and more!

Posted by: Old timey ()
Date: February 07, 2013 08:18PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> Anyone remember "RON'S Speed Shop"?
>
>
> Located near the Subway restaurant on Backlick
> Rd., just before Old Keene Mill.
>
> I think it was there until the mid-90s, when
> internet killed the mom and pop speed shops w/
> mail order.
>
> Hayfield and Loisdale pits were always great for
> memories.

But do you remember Rod's cycle shop or the surplus store next to Ron's? Don't forget about Speed Unlimited in A'dale or Calhoun's on 236/Duke St

Date: February 07, 2013 11:36PM

Old timey Wrote:
> ...in the 22039 Wrote:
> -----
> > Anyone remember "RON'S Speed Shop"?
> >
> >
> > Located near the Subway restaurant on Backlick
> > Rd., just before Old Keene Mill.
> >
> > I think it was there until the mid-90s, when
> > internet killed the mom and pop speed shops w/
> > mail order.
> >
> > Hayfield and Loisdale pits were always great
> for
> > memories.
>
>
> But do you remember Rod's cycle shop or the
> surplus store next to Ron's? Don't forget about
> Speed Unlimited in A'dale or Calhoun's on 236/Duke
> St

Bought my 1st set of FLowmaster Mufflers in the the fall of 1989 from Speed Unlimited in Annandale. They closed 2 or 3 years later. I think they only have the location at Andrews AFB now.

Don't recall the surplus shop by Ron's, but remember Tandy Leather, which was beside there.

Also remember Calhoun's on Duke, it's a bookstore now, or something. Hard to believe they lasted until a few years ago, or the sign did...

Good memories!

Posted by: Mark B ()
Date: March 08, 2013 03:00PM

I went to Lee High School from 1974-78. I worked at Valles Steak House beginning in October 1975 as a busboy. I got promoted to second cook and worked with the chef. I made 20 cents above the minimum wage - $2.65/hr, worked about 72 hours per week during the summer, and loved every minute that I worked in that restaurant. I remember the Williams sisters, three of them at least, worked as waitresses there. To this day, Meg Williams ranks as one of the best looking and nicest women I have ever seen and met in my life. Wednesdays and Fridays were lobster special nites. You could get two one-pound lobsters, anyway you liked, for $6.95!!!Bud the baker made the best dinner rolls, pies and cakes. Mitch cut the meats for the place. Mother's Day would bring epic crowds, and Springfield Valles would rank either one or two in the 30 restaurant chain for that day. Great place, great memories

Posted by: Not what it used to be ()
Date: March 08, 2013 05:03PM

Huntington Wrote:
> This is why I used to love this forum, old school
> stuff! I can remember when Hooes Rd. had a 1 lane
> bridge (a crazy, scary wooden bridge) between
> Sydenstricker and Rolling, and again towards what
> is now that vast retirement complex where the old
> Hunter estate used to be. Closer to Backlick.
> These roads don't even exist anymore, the Parkway
> wiped them out. But sometimes I'll take a drive
> w/ my Dad and we will explore what used to be.
> One of the biggest shockers is the new road
> through Saratoga. Who the eff knew so much land
> the proving ground occupied, crazy!

The record store before Waxie Maxie's was called House of Music.

There used to be a carnival that would set up in the area that Chi-chis eventually constructed on.

The Pop Shoppe was a blast.

Posted by: You're right about that ()
Date: March 08, 2013 06:08PM

Mark B Wrote:
> I went to Lee High School from 1974-78. I worked
> at Valles Steak House beginning in October 1975 as
> a busboy. I got promoted to second cook and
> worked with the chef. I made 20 cents above the
> minimum wage - $2.65/hr, worked about 72 hours per
> week during the summer, and loved every minute
> that I worked in that restaurant. I remember the
> Williams sisters, three of them at least, worked
> as waitresses there. To this day, Meg Williams
> ranks as one of the best looking and nicest women
> I have ever seen and met in my life... etc etc

Yup ... they had a good looking wait staff.

Back in the day all waitresses in every restaurant, to include Valle's, wore skirts and looked great. The young girls would hem them up mid-thigh. Then some PC nonsense kicked in after the Tail Hook and Anita Hill debacles, and they all switched to black pants. I hate that look.

Occasionally, I go to Lillian's on Mount Vernon ave just so I can see a half dozen waitresses sashay around in miniskirts and heels.

So that's one good thing about immigrants.

Too bad at my age I'm not going to get any.

Posted by: 22015 ()
Date: March 09, 2013 09:49AM

Springfielder Wrote:
>
>
> If you turned right onto Guinea Rd., Patty's
> Riding Stables were up on the right hand side. I
> believe the original house still exists tucked
> back on Bronte Dr. That whole area was nothing but
> open fields and groves of trees. We used to get
> there early on a Saturday morning and ride the
> rented horses all through the area. What fun!
>

Yes, the house and stables are still there. You can see them from the pool on Ashbourn Dr.

Date: March 09, 2013 03:51PM

22015 Wrote:
> Springfielder Wrote:
> -----
> >
> >
> > If you turned right onto Guinea Rd., Patty's
> > Riding Stables were up on the right hand side.
> I
> > believe the original house still exists tucked
> > back on Bronte Dr. That whole area was nothing
> but
> > open fields and groves of trees. We used to get
> > there early on a Saturday morning and ride the
> > rented horses all through the area. What fun!
> >
>
> Yes, the house and stables are still there. You
> can see them from the pool on Ashbourn Dr.

Real estate records show that house was originally built in 1780! Is this true?? How cool if true!

Posted by: 22015 ()
Date: March 09, 2013 04:07PM

Springfielder Wrote:
> 22015 Wrote:
> -----
> > Springfielder Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > >
> > >
> > > If you turned right onto Guinea Rd., Patty's
> > > Riding Stables were up on the right hand
> side.
> > I
> > > believe the original house still exists
> tucked
> > > back on Bronte Dr. That whole area was
> nothing
> > but
> > > open fields and groves of trees. We used to
> get
> > > there early on a Saturday morning and ride
> the
> > > rented horses all through the area. What fun!
> > >
> >
> > Yes, the house and stables are still there.
> You
> > can see them from the pool on Ashbourn Dr.
>
>
> Real estate records show that house was originally
> built in 1780! Is this true?? How cool if true!

I remember reading in the Connection some time ago that the track is part of the Ravensworth land grant from the 1600s. Looks like a cool house.

http://hometryst.com/va/9587-bronte-dr-burke-va-22015-mls-fx6809857/

Date: March 09, 2013 04:37PM

Valle's Springfield, Va 1975 Menu.
Attachments:
val.jpg
val1.jpg

Posted by: Fuzzy ()
Date: March 09, 2013 11:46PM

I grew up in the Franconia area. I remember going to Ponderosa Steak house in Springfield Plaza...think it was where Kate's Irish Pub is now. Anyone else remember that place?

Date: March 10, 2013 12:12AM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> Valle's Springfield, Va 1975 Menu.

Nice menu. A similar item was recently sold on e-bay. If you were the winning bidder, congrats. If you're a seller you can probably get $25-50 for that item.

Date: March 10, 2013 02:25PM

Mark B Wrote:
> I went to Lee High School from 1974-78. I worked
> at Valles Steak House beginning in October 1975 as
> a busboy. I got promoted to second cook and
> worked with the chef. I made 20 cents above the
> minimum wage - $2.65/hr, worked about 72 hours per
> week during the summer, and loved every minute
> that I worked in that restaurant. I remember the
> Williams sisters, three of them at least, worked
> as waitresses there. To this day, Meg Williams
> ranks as one of the best looking and nicest women
> I have ever seen and met in my life. Wednesdays
> and Fridays were lobster special nites. You could
> get two one-pound lobsters, anyway you liked, for
> $6.95!!!Bud the baker made the best dinner rolls,
> pies and cakes. Mitch cut the meats for the
> place. Mother's Day would bring epic crowds, and
> Springfield Valles would rank either one or two in
> the 30 restaurant chain for that day. Great
> place, great memories

Mark B,

What a great post. I worked at a Valle’s Steak House in suburban Boston from 1974-1980; part time during the school year, full time in the Summer. Started as dishwasher, did prep work for the chef, ended up working the service bar.

My wife noticed there wasn’t a Wikipedia article on Valle’s and she challenged me to create one. So I have. Three, in fact:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valle%27s_Steak_House

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Valle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Valle

Please leave thoughts, comments, and any recommendations on the “Talk” page of the article.

Date: March 10, 2013 02:36PM

JW, Great job on the Wikipedia articles...well done. Thanks.

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.