HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How Can I Forcibly Commit a Mentally Unstable Relative in Fairfax
Posted by: Stressed ()
Date: January 25, 2013 04:40PM

Please only serious replies...
I have a relative who is showing signs of paranoia and thinks that we are conspiring against her. Woodburn Center will only take action if they hurt themselves or another. What else can I do before she does hurt my kids?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How Can I Forcibly Commit a Mentally Unstable Relative in Fairfax
Posted by: serious replies??? ()
Date: January 25, 2013 04:44PM

Serious on here? You must be joking. OK. I'll be serious.

Contact the county health and human services for advice. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/living/healthhuman/

Also contact a family lawyer for options.

People have the right to be crazy, We don't just commit people until they hurt someone. There is no law against being paranoid. It is hard to see someone suffer. But as long as we are a free society this is the way it is.

Finally, it does sounds like your relative may be right. You are conspiring against them.

Posted by: Johnny law ()
Date: January 25, 2013 04:54PM

Go to the Magistrate and petition for an Emergency Custody Order. It will allow police to force him to be evaluated by Doctors and mental health.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: January 25, 2013 04:56PM

They have to be considered a physical threat to themselves and/or others. If they are just paranoid and irrational acting, that is not enough to commit.

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: January 25, 2013 04:59PM

The true litmus test for mental illness is when they start hurting animals, and/ or start doing odd things with their feces.

If your relative is cranky, spaced out or unresponsive, that really isn't reason to think they're crazy.

But when Fifi goes missing and you start seeing brown fingerprints all over everything, call your local mental health practitioner immediately!

Posted by: boris b ()
Date: January 25, 2013 05:22PM

How Can I Forcibly Commit a Mentally Unstable Relative in Fairfax

what do you have against democrats?

Posted by: Voice of "Reason" ()
Date: January 25, 2013 05:54PM

So far, it sounds like she actually does have reason to believe that the family is against her.

Do you actually have a basis for your fear that she's a danger to your children?

If so, present your case to the authorities.

If not, then get your own paranoia checked-out first.

Posted by: Tough One ()
Date: January 25, 2013 06:00PM

BEH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The true litmus test for mental illness is when
> they start hurting animals, and/ or start doing
> odd things with their feces.
>
> If your relative is cranky, spaced out or
> unresponsive, that really isn't reason to think
> they're crazy.
>
> But when Fifi goes missing and you start seeing
> brown fingerprints all over everything, call your
> local mental health practitioner immediately!

Fucking howling! Good one.

I know yr not trying to be mean or cruel.............but in reality what you are doing is telling us someone should be jailed just for acting strange, OP. That's not really cool.
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: January 25, 2013 06:02PM

@OP - eesh told ya all you really need to know about it. Unless yr relative is an IMMEDIATE danger, nothing can be done to "FORCE" them into a mental institution against their will.

We do have a Constitution, you know.......................

Re: I know yr not trying to be mean or cruel.............but in reality what you are doing is telling us someone should be jailed just for acting strange, OP. That's not really cool.
Posted by: They're coming to take them away ()
Date: January 25, 2013 06:32PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @OP - eesh told ya all you really need to know
> about it. Unless yr relative is an IMMEDIATE
> danger, nothing can be done to "FORCE" them into a
> mental institution against their will.
>
> We do have a Constitution, you
> know.......................

I'm batshit wacko crazy and I'll shoot anyone who disagrees.
I have the rite to own guns and the write to brag about them on this fuckin forum. God bless you for trying to control the guns cause I would rather shoot you than put me away.

Posted by: Stressed ()
Date: January 25, 2013 06:46PM

She will not allow me to take her for any treatment. She is convinced her entire family is out to get her and imagines everyone conspiring against her. It is a rapid deterioration, and she is starting to get physical.
So, I should petition for an emergency custody order (she is an adult) and proceed from there?

hope I'd get to at least be a trustee :)
Date: January 25, 2013 07:04PM

@stressed - define physical. And what do you mean "petition for emergency custody"? Petition who? IRS? Maybe The Smithsonian? They'll be able to do as much for you as anybody else IF YOUR RELATIVE HAS COMMITTED NO CRIME!!!

What you are asking to be done is a VERY serious thing here - asking for a fellow American's freedom to be curtailed when no crime has been committed.

full disclosure: "Reason", when I first read yr answer earlier, I didnt like it, and was actually gonna type something back to you along the lines of STFU....................but I was wrong - my bad.

I bring that up now cause I think maybe you oughta re-read what Voice of "Reason" put out there. He/She's dead on and maybe its you and yr other relatives AGITATING this one relative and maybe all this "crazy" relative needs is some space, op.

I dunno. You really havent given us much 411 to say whether or not the relative is truly crazy. But bottom line is: YOU CANT LOCK UP SOMEONE IF THEY HAVENT COMMITED A F88KING CRIME! Capeesh?

Being an oddball isnt a crime - if it was, half the underground would be in jail LoLz

Posted by: hearing witness ()
Date: January 25, 2013 07:07PM

Stressed Wrote:
> So, I should petition for an emergency custody
> order (she is an adult) and proceed from there?

I don't know about Fairfax, Virginia but in Prince George's, Maryland that court order can get a person committed for 3 days after which the person is free to check out if they so desire. And you have to swear on a stack of bibles in front of some legal guy (judge? magistrate? court gofer?) that what you're saying is true and have more than one person do it, too.

And after three days the person says "What a bunch of chumps" and walks anyway.

we also note how MoCo rhymes with "loco" ;)
Date: January 25, 2013 07:11PM

@hearing - which is why we around here call it the People Republic of Maryland LoLz

@OP - here. I think this may be what yr looking for.........

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/27/AR2007112702498.html

the tl/dr for ya:
Virginia law requires that the local Community Services Boards, the government agencies that oversee mental health services in each jurisdiction, screen the person to determine whether he is an imminent danger to himself or others or unable to take care of himself, needs treatment and is unwilling to volunteer for it. If the screener makes such a determination, a magistrate can issue a temporary detention order, forcing the person to be hospitalized for a maximum of 48 hours.

hope that helps..............

Posted by: donut lover ()
Date: January 25, 2013 07:30PM

First off, begin to document what you observe. Making vague statements about "paranoia" will not help you build a case for TDO (Temporary Detaining Order). BUT, if you have a list of behaviors you have observed, that will help. Note the time, date, frequency etc. in addition to specifics. At the hearing, if you are the petitioner, you can present your 'case' which is basically what you have observed. The more specific and detailed you are, the better your chance because judges have been known to throw cases out even if the person needs hospitalization.

A person can be hospitalized against their will if they are a danger to themselves, which includes self neglect to the point of possible self harm (i.e. not drinking or eating for a few days, not taking medical medications, going outside with no clothes on or inadequate clothes for the weather etc.).

If your relative begins to threaten violence, you can call the police and that would be the time to present your 'evidence' to strengthen your case. You can also ask this relative to leave if you are that worried about your safety and you can have the police help you get this persons out of your house.

Finally, you have an obligation to keep your children safe. Why are you allowing this unstable relative to stay with you? You can make treatment a condition of staying at your home--otherwise, tell the person they have to leave and that you will call CPS on them for being threatening towards your children.

Good luck.

Posted by: hearing witness ()
Date: January 25, 2013 07:42PM

Okay, so in PG County you get put away for 3 days against your will, in Fairfax you get put away for 2 days against your will.

Then you get to walk.

As is correct under our Constitution.

Posted by: Asking the Obvious ()
Date: January 25, 2013 07:45PM

If you think that this person is an imminent danger to your kids (which I assume means that she lives with you), why do you allow her to stay? Your kids have to come first.

If this is your mother, she may have dementia. Paranoia is common in the senile elderly. There is no point in trying to reason with them - it will drive you nuts and it won't work. If this is the case, it may be time for an assisted living facility or a nursing home.

I wish you the best.

Posted by: Been There ()
Date: January 25, 2013 07:56PM

Posted by: Serious reply ()
Date: January 25, 2013 08:01PM

Went through this with my brother. First get this person evaluated by a mental health professional, this person can will help you get your relative into one of the centers in fairfax if needed. If this person has threaten you or themselves call the police. While in a center you will need to advocate for your family member, making sure their dr knows what is going on and what meds are being used. This sucks at first, but it becomes more manageable as time goes by.

Posted by: Not Fun ()
Date: January 25, 2013 08:12PM

I have a nephew with a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia. He's still walking the streets after approx. 15 years because he's extremely smart. Crazy, but smart. He's been committed, jailed, and homeless. He's talked his way out of jail, mental hospitals, and courts.

As previous posters have commented, the person must exhibit threatening behavoir or commit a crime before police and/or mental health professionals will intervene. Even then, as I've experienced, the person will more than likely be out after a few days if they want to and know how to "play the game." Also as mentioned, you must document all examples of "crazy" behavoir for even the slightest chance of getting her the help she needs. And as mentioned, if she does live with you, either tell her to leave or make other arrangements if you can afford this.

Sorry, but you could be in for a very long ride. The mental health programs in most areas are horribly underfunded. I know some people think this is a joke and you should just kick her out if she lives with you. However, if this is indeed a loved one, that is one of the hardest things to do. I wish you luck.

Posted by: sundance ()
Date: January 25, 2013 08:59PM

I would call Woodburn's emergency service again and they'll likely instruct you to go to the magistrate. Be sure to tell emergency service staff that you are willing to be the petitioner (it's less work for them). Then go to the magistrate tell them you need an emergency custody order. Detail in your petition what you are observing include things like sleep, aggressive behavior, anything that shows they are making decisions that could lead to harm (outside in clothes not appropriate for the weather etc). The magistrate will determine if there is enough evidence to obtain a emergency custody order and the police will take your relative to the emergency room where someone from Woodburn's mobile crisis team will evaluate him/her for temporary detention order. If they TDO them, ER staff will medically clear them they will be admitted to the psychiatric unit. The hearing would be on Monday morning.

Posted by: Try this ()
Date: January 26, 2013 01:13AM

Give them a weapon with one round and let it play out.

Posted by: Go to FFXU ()
Date: January 26, 2013 12:58PM

Show them FFXU and they will be addicted and post crazy shit on here all day, thereby keeping them off the street. This program has worked well for Gordon Blvd.

Date: January 26, 2013 01:51PM

Go to FFXU Wrote:
> Show them FFXU and they will be addicted and post
> crazy shit on here all day, thereby keeping them
> off the street. This program has worked well for
> Gordon Blvd.

ROFLMAO! +1

Posted by: Voice of "Reason" ()
Date: January 26, 2013 04:38PM

> off the street

More ironic than you realize...

+1

Posted by: Colonel Obvious ()
Date: January 26, 2013 05:05PM

Go to FFXU Wrote:
> off the street. This program has worked well for
> Gordon Blvd.

OP is a family member trying to help GB before GB hurts herself and/or others.

Posted by: NoVaMan ()
Date: January 26, 2013 07:44PM

Buy her a Bushmaster Ar-15. That will keep her busy and focused on other things.

Posted by: NoVaMan ()
Date: January 26, 2013 07:46PM

My last comment was a horribly morbid and inappropriate joke. I make those from time to time. Disclaimer. Do not take me seriously. You never know with people these days.

Posted by: Annonomous ()
Date: January 26, 2013 08:25PM

NoVaMan, thanks for showing some character. It's sometimes irresistable to make a joke in bad taste. But don't let one mistake take away from your sense of humor. This forum provides a healthy way to cut up and not actually hurt anyone. It's all a bunch of rhetoric and for those who take offense I say bullocks!

Posted by: gordon blvd redux ()
Date: January 27, 2013 08:24AM

Gordon Blvd is fascinating. He/she is clearly uneducated, is barely literate (lots of STFU's, a useful device when the capacity to explicate facts properly is lacking) and yet, nothing stops him/her from posting frequently on subjects he/she knows absolutely about. As if Gordon knows the legal standards and procedural rules concerning the Baker Act? Of course not. But that doesn't stop the endless stream of drivel.

Posted by: gordon blvd redux redux ()
Date: January 27, 2013 11:40AM

At least Gordon is on the topic, and not just ranting about other users.

I'm usually not one to defend Gordon... he/she seems to be a borderline sociopath, and I don't base that just on a simple-minded assumption that FFXU posts accurately reflect the real person behind them. "Gordon posts" often seem to show an genuine lack of empathy, and a desire to inflict emotional distress on those who appear vulnerable and/or to be in genuine pain.

But, in this case, I think that “STFU” is an appropriate response to your post, and it should not interpreted as a reflection of my own education.

If you have something to add (e.g. information regarding the "Baker Act"), then add it. Otherwise, your post boils down to exactly the sort of drivel that you're complaining about.

borderline? who are you kidding I crossed that border like a illegal decades ago LoLz
Date: January 27, 2013 12:02PM

@redux2 - i have a genuine lack of empathy to pedos, bigots, traitors and those who would assault and murder in our community so sue me. LoLz But no, never a desire to inflict distress. That is only seen by those who desire or need for "Gordon Blvd" to be an "enemy" and whateves. But it's simply not true.

@redux - um, I dont recall bringing up nor referrincing the Baker Act............you are "hearing" that all in yr head. Why is it I attract y'all ppl?

@NOVA - no worries. Dont you know guns dont kill people?

@Col - have my words scar-d you that much? ROFLMAO@u

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: January 27, 2013 12:08PM

i deal with mental people at work daily. this is the problem in this country, is our failed mental health system. its lead to the mental committing mass shootings because we dont have mental health institutes in the country anymore. there are people with mental health issues that have no right being out and about in normal society. you are pretty much screwed, but you need to hire an attourney to go through the lengthly process. your attourney can have them get amental health eval through a court order, and then have a hearing in front of a judge to make a decision. its the only way to try and have them committed. good luck

Date: January 27, 2013 12:28PM

@who cares - the part of yr statement that stands out to me is " there are people with mental health issues that have no right being out and about in normal society"

PLEASE legally define "normal society" to us................cause when you talk about suspending somebody's legal and constution right to FREEDOM when they've committed no crime, all becasue they are not "normal"? Kinda hard to define, dontcha think?

Anywho, if there's one thing you have to admit you are wrong about, is that there are no mental health institutes in the country anymore LoLz
pic unrelated
Attachments:
imagesCACY9TSF.jpg

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: January 27, 2013 12:49PM

@ gordan, there are plenty of mental people in this country that can not function in society, and need to be looked after constantly. its no different than putting a relative in a old folks home. and you are dead wrong, there are no mental health facility's to deal with people with mental health issues. i deal with them eveyday, and they just get shuffled along until the next time. if you think woodburn mental health or dominion mental health helps, you are wrong. they are not the type of facility that you think they are. they evaulate people on a very short term basis. people that are brought in there are advised to call their own doctor if they have insurance. even if they go are taken there against their will with an eco, they are out of the hospital in 3-5 days, sometimes less than that. dont act like you know how it works, because i see it first hand. you spout off at the mouth about alot of shit you dont know about, but this is something you dont know about. ive dealing with mental people for over 12 years now, and there is not the help these people need. they get meds, take them for a little while, and they are fine for awhile. then they think they are ok, and stop taking their meds. then they are right back to square one. mental health institutions needs to be reopened, otherwise these problems turn into criminal charges and they get put in prison where they dont get help either.

wow.
Date: January 27, 2013 01:08PM

@who - Yes, we all already know about Woodburn and what they can and cannot do. You appparently werent around here last summer so you dont know about the crash course in crazy we all got LoLz

to REPEAT my point to you: no matter how YOU feel about ppl, unless THEY (the person) CHOOSES to get help, WE (the public) cannot FORCE (make someone do something against their will) another AMERICAN (legal citizen with constitutional rights same as you and me) into INCARNATION (held against their will) unless they've committed a crime or are a danger to others.

I notice in yr rant to me you failed to define "normal" like I asked. What's the legal definition? Are YOU the judge who gets to decide if someone should be locked up for being "not normal" when they have committed no crime against another? I'm sorry but that's a slippery slope I dont want to go down, EVEN WHEN I AM THE TARGET OF THE BATSHIT CRAZY! (if you dont know, ask around, ppl will tell you..........)

anywho, yeah...........you took my last post WAAAAAAAAAAY too seriously

pic unrelated
Attachments:
untitled.bmp

Posted by: Ockham ()
Date: January 27, 2013 02:10PM

We would have much less of these sorts of problems if we could just get a handle on Lyme's disease.

I wish I had a percentage as to how many cases of dementia are caused from a measly tick bite.

Posted by: Go to FFXU ()
Date: January 27, 2013 07:47PM

Ockham Wrote:
> We would have much less of these sorts of problems
> if we could just get a handle on Lyme's disease.
>
> I wish I had a percentage as to how many cases of
> dementia are caused from a measly tick bite.

Shoot the deer.

Posted by: Annonomous ()
Date: January 28, 2013 12:56AM

I don't know how you're going to forcibly commit her. The terrorists that attacked ambassador Stevens forcibly sodomized him and then shot him with full approval by our very own president. These days anything seems to go.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.