HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Where is the best place to sell old vinyl records?
Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: January 14, 2013 02:36PM

I'm looking to sell a collection of records, probably 350-400 records from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s.

I am not really interested if one is worth more than another. Looking for bulk sale figure.

Is a place like the used record place on 236 at Picket the best place?

Or the new place over the bridge into PW county the right spot? 2nd and Charles, I think is the name...

Or, where would you suggest?

With the resurgence of interest in vinyl recordings, they must have value. But what would it be, really?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where is the best place to sell old vinyl records?
Posted by: Vinyl ()
Date: January 14, 2013 02:41PM

Check out this website: www.ebay.com

Posted by: friskydingo ()
Date: January 14, 2013 02:42PM

Honestly, you probably won't get much money for that collection from a pawn shop or other retailer. Your best bet would be to sell the whole bunch online in one bundle.

Yes, vinyl is becoming popular again... but it's popularity is in newer music. Old records usually aren't very valuable, unless it's something amazingly rare.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 02:43PM by friskydingo.

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: January 14, 2013 02:45PM

McKay's books in Manassas

Posted by: Mr. X ()
Date: January 14, 2013 03:39PM

Out of all those records you would be lucky if 20-30 of them are what could be deemed desireable. The rest are dead weight and no one will want to take on 300 pieces of trash for a few good ones. The undesireability of dealing with modtly garbage will bring down the value of any good stuff you might have if you insist on selling them all. Do your research and pull out the good stuff and trash the rest.

Date: January 14, 2013 04:13PM

Mr. X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Out of all those records you would be lucky if
> 20-30 of them are what could be deemed desireable.
> The rest are dead weight and no one will want to
> take on 300 pieces of trash for a few good ones.
> The undesireability of dealing with modtly garbage
> will bring down the value of any good stuff you
> might have if you insist on selling them all. Do
> your research and pull out the good stuff and
> trash the rest.

Good point!

Is there a website which has values of records? Again, I have no idea what this stuff is worth. I have inherited the task of cleaning out 100 years of old furniture, records (and the electronics to accompany) and other stuff. Toy trains from the 40s and 50s, etc. It's very overwhelming!

Thanks.

Posted by: Mr. X ()
Date: January 14, 2013 05:13PM

That sounds like a task I would love as an avid collector of such items. Wish there was some safe way to get in touch with you i would love to come by and see what you have. Very leary about posting an email or phone number on here,,,,
ebay is a great source to see what things sell for, note not what people are asking, but what completed items sell for. Takes years of looking through tens of thousands of records to know what is common and what isn't. Most every time I respond to an add with people selling hundreds of records I feel lucky if I find one that is worth the trouble. Most often it is none. Condition is a big factor too. I've seen lots of rare records renderred worthless by just horrible condition. Split seams, water damage, tears, scratches, writing, etc. all kill value.

Date: January 14, 2013 09:54PM

Mr. X Wrote:
> That sounds like a task I would love as an avid
> collector of such items. Wish there was some safe
> way to get in touch with you i would love to come
> by and see what you have. Very leary about posting
> an email or phone number on here,,,,
> ebay is a great source to see what things sell
> for, note not what people are asking, but what
> completed items sell for. Takes years of looking
> through tens of thousands of records to know what
> is common and what isn't. Most every time I
> respond to an add with people selling hundreds of
> records I feel lucky if I find one that is worth
> the trouble. Most often it is none. Condition is a
> big factor too. I've seen lots of rare records
> renderred worthless by just horrible condition.
> Split seams, water damage, tears, scratches,
> writing, etc. all kill value.

Virtually all the records were stored in proper record storage slots, in their original sleeves. The past 50 years, they were stored in teak cabinetry.

The Beetles records were all set aside, but I will look through and name a few of the ones we've got, of the hundreds in the cabinets.

Some big bands, some classical, all are not my style...

Condition of all would be a 9+

Date: January 14, 2013 09:55PM

Joe B. Wrote:
> McKay's books in Manassas

Looked at McKay's in Manassas, but they do not show they take records.

Thanks though

Posted by: 88HH ()
Date: January 14, 2013 10:56PM

TO A NIGGER ON THE STREET CORNER

Posted by: racistnigger ()
Date: January 14, 2013 10:58PM

i'd be interested in parousing the collection. I'll pay you .50 per record. much more than you'll make at a store

Posted by: skav ()
Date: January 15, 2013 12:12AM

A lot of good advice has been dispensed. If you list a few titles here you will get more of an idea. On average a few out a 100 wiil have nominal value, perhaps 10-20 dollars at most. How common,condition, and demand are all important. You can check completed auctions at popsike.com. If your stuff is better than average you could try selling the stuff at a local flea market or civitan sale in ARL. All you can do is try to check if you have anything obscure or collectable, and then determine the nuances: pressing,label,etc., most of which isn't easily learned. Like some other guy said check completed auctions or sales on EBay that will be a good reality check

Posted by: skav ()
Date: January 15, 2013 12:16AM

Most big band and classical will be nearly worthless.

Posted by: Joes ()
Date: January 15, 2013 02:37AM

Craigslist is another option.

Posted by: whaty ()
Date: January 15, 2013 05:46AM

If you don't get what you think they're worth, donate them. Goodwill has online auctions. Check it out - www.shopgoodwill.com

Posted by: duhhhhhh ()
Date: January 15, 2013 07:10AM

Joe's Record Paradise in Silver Spring

http://www.yelp.com/biz/joes-record-paradise-silver-spring

Posted by: VinylUser ()
Date: January 16, 2013 03:09AM

You can use discogs.com to research how much other people are charging. Also, you can sell them on there too. But it may be a better idea to do more research than that. Also, do you have any disco or funk? I would be interested if you do, and suggest you put up a craigslist ad.

Posted by: Tax Man ()
Date: January 16, 2013 11:28AM

Get a value for them, donate the cheap ones to Goodwill, take the tax write off, sell the others online, not to dealers or at shows.

Date: January 19, 2013 01:43PM

Everything from Paul Revere and the Raiders, Ray Charles, 5th Dimension, Isaac Hayes, Andy Williams, Nancy Wilson, and more... Looking up "values" now.

Thanks! Quite the eclectic collection!

Posted by: Ainsley ()
Date: February 19, 2013 11:17AM

Hello good day. I have vinyl records selling in bulk, PLEASE email me at trase.allen@gmail.com or contact me at this number 8764892407, if your interested in buying.
I sell bulk records by the thousands, one thousand (1000) for 3 dollar US or more for each, 60's, 70's or 80's. Always willing to negotiate.

Thanks for you time

Date: February 19, 2013 11:32AM

Looks like some of these old albums have sold recently for 150/pc. for a few of the highly collectible ones.

I am probably sitting on a few thousand dollars worth of albums. Crazy!!

Posted by: Junkman ()
Date: February 19, 2013 11:42AM

For $200 dollars I'll have my man Juan come haul away that shit for you.

Posted by: Ian ()
Date: February 19, 2013 03:26PM

Record & Tape Exchange

www.rtxrecords.com

9448 Main St
Fairfax
(703) 425-4256

Posted by: James G ()
Date: February 21, 2013 10:32AM

I've got Jerry Vale sings Italian Love Songs,Don Ho Live in Honolulu & Sergio Mendes-who can't even go to the bathroom in South America. Any takers?

Posted by: Tammy ()
Date: September 07, 2013 09:50AM

If you are a collector I just opened a box that I have been carrying around for twenty years from my grandmother when she passed away.. I know they are old and I am going to move and don't want to move them with me. if you are interested please email me at buggygubs and that is at yahoo com.

Posted by: Tammy ()
Date: September 07, 2013 09:51AM

I found and old box of album from the 1940 I have been lugging around for 20 years I want to sell them. My grandmother gave them to me.

Posted by: CD Cellar ()
Date: September 07, 2013 10:24AM

Take them to the CD Cellar in Falls Church, right across from the Burger King and next to Spacebar.

Posted by: Boops Records ()
Date: January 21, 2015 02:26PM

I pay cash for vinyl record collections in Fairfax County and surrounding areas! I come to YOU and haul the records! I am honest, reliable, and fair! Looking for hard rock, classic rock, heavy metal, soul, jazz, hip-hop/rap, alternative. NOT LOOKING FOR classical, opera, spoken word, children's, Broadway. Please email me with a brief description of what you have and where you are located!

boopsrecords@gmail.com

Posted by: help a kid out ()
Date: January 21, 2015 04:17PM

Google 'buying used vinyl albums' or something of that nature, most places won't buy real ole stuff if its not rock, but there are probably some hardcore collecters that may pay serious cash for some real old stuff. Old swing and jazz of that age would sell good to the right person. If you know a young kid in high school or younger in your neighborhood who has little prospects for making money, they might go to the effort of being the middle man. Just knock on a couple doors and ask some parents if their kid may be able and interested. Do the research and selling for you if you split the profit. And some good karma for giving a kid an opportunity. If it does OK, he may never forget you. And you wont have to put out the effort. Win-win. You might have a treasure somewhere in that pile. You'd be surprised what people want.

Posted by: fairfaxresident123333 ()
Date: January 26, 2015 10:18AM

Asking a kid to sell them for you or selling them yourself on ebay/online is a bad idea, typically. There are small differences in quality that collectors are very picky about (small scratches, warping etc.) that most people do not know how to look for/can't recognize. Also, for every record there are multiple versions or pressings, and the different pressings have very different values.

Even in most "good" collections, there is going to be a decent amount of stuff that is worth nothing to record stores and collectors. Your best bet is probably to sell it as a lot in cash to someone who will see them in person like the guy who advertised a few posts up.

Posted by: T-rock ()
Date: July 01, 2015 11:32AM

I have many albums of various artist's from coltrane, dylan,pink floyd,and maybe elvis, in great shape is it worth me trying to sell. it should be worth something.

Posted by: Vinyl Collector ()
Date: July 01, 2015 08:27PM

Those albums are going to be worth a lot of money - in 400 years.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.