HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Were there a lot of area gangs in the '90s?
Posted by: just curious... ()
Date: January 05, 2013 09:50PM

Had talk to someone who lived here their entire life, and told me during their high school days, gangs ran rampant all over NOVA. True or a fairy tale?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Were there a lot of area gangs in the '90s?
Posted by: Squirt ()
Date: January 05, 2013 09:58PM

Yeah dawg, I was a West Springfield gangsta back in the day.

Posted by: Bangin with the boys( and girls) ()
Date: January 05, 2013 11:10PM

We even gangbanged in the 70's. The ladies were more open with their sexuality.

Posted by: Suez Kemal ()
Date: January 06, 2013 02:38AM

In the olden days Fairfax County was all country. But in Arlington, in the 40s and 50s, the gangs were called hoods. If you were a kid, you stayed in your own neighborhood, or else you could expect a fight.

Posted by: true ()
Date: January 06, 2013 02:40AM

just curious... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Had talk to someone who lived here their entire
> life, and told me during their high school days,
> gangs ran rampant all over NOVA. True or a fairy
> tale?

True.

Posted by: SE Crew ()
Date: January 06, 2013 02:53AM

just curious... Wrote:
> tale?

Bullshit. Bunch of MTV gangsta wannabes.

Posted by: se fakee ()
Date: January 06, 2013 02:54AM

SE Crew Wrote:
> just curious... Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Had talk to someone who lived here their entire
> > life, and told me during their high school
> days,
> > gangs ran rampant all over NOVA. True or a
> fairy
> > tale?
>
>
> Bullshit. Bunch of MTV gangsta wannabes.

Unless you were NTN back then, I'd say you are the SE gangster wannabe.

Posted by: Rayful Edmonds ()
Date: January 06, 2013 08:25AM

Ah, dem was de days!

Posted by: Justin Wolve ()
Date: January 06, 2013 08:33AM

Amen Rayful. I was rollin' til 2001.

Posted by: Fairfax 80s & 90s expert ()
Date: January 06, 2013 09:43AM

Sure there were gangs in the late 80s up to the mid 90s. MS13 wasn't even really around yet. These kids were primarily suburban but they were still vandalizing, stealing, fighting, and doing other not do nice things in the area. There was the YT Gang (Young Terrorists) in the Fairfax area. There was the Picket Road Gang. There was a variety of Spanish gangs like Vatos Locos, Little Rascals, etc.. Annandale HS around the early 90s had major gsng issues. a couple kids were shot and some were dealing guns believe it or not.

So yes, while they weren't the Crips and Bloods from LA, in the late 80s and early 90s this area saw teens in gangs causing trouble that it hasn't seen since. Credit the police and schools for stopping it. Also credit the fact that NWA and other gangster rap isn't cool anymore.

Posted by: my take on it ()
Date: January 06, 2013 11:22AM

I think the early to mid '90s had seen quite a suprisingly gang
explosion among teens around this area. I think that FFX schools had quite
a big issue with them.

This was the era of gangsta rap. You didn't have Lil Wayne, you had
Tupac and Biggie. I think recreational drug use was way more rampant (weed
and ecstasy). It was very surreal. Today, you would never imagine black, white, hispanic, and asian kids joining these large gangs and actually shooting each other in Faifax county but it did happen.

Posted by: just my theory ()
Date: January 06, 2013 03:02PM

Accurate, although not for the majority.
Back then, internet use wasn't widespread and young people didn't have social media to keep themselves occupied. Criminals were not as easily or quickly identified considering law enforcement hadn't the vast resources which are available today, presumably it was easier to get off the hook if caught. And even if you didn't, the punishment fit the crime so to speak--for instance, fights on school grounds wouldn't result in expulsion as it might these days and possession of marijuana meant a slap on the wrist in comparison to today's consequences.

Posted by: Chris D ()
Date: March 11, 2017 02:18PM

Those YT punks were a joke. They were not a real gang from the projects. They all were normal kids who lived in middle to upper class homes. Then the rap scene started and they wanted to be tough guys so they got together and formed YT. There were maybe a dozen at most and they would show up at parties where people were having fun just to cause problems. They'd choose a kids who they knew wouldn't fight back and would jump him. It was always 3-4 guys beating up one kid. Total losers and I imagine they're even bigger losers now.

Actually the cops didn't take em down. The semi-redneck crowd from Pickett shopping center set a trap for them. They spread the word that they were gonna have a big party, knowing that YT would likely show up and pull their usual 5 on 1 beat down. They did come to the party, but the Pickett boys who truly were tough guys sprang the trap and beat the crap out of them. I believe 1 or 2 of the YT kids got seriously hurt so then the cops finally did shut it down. Once the troublemakers were told that they would be put in jail if they kept it up and that was enough to end it. Good riddance!!!

Posted by: Sally Pipping ()
Date: March 11, 2017 03:12PM

I've live here since 85. There may have been Asian gangs and the Bloods. I don't think anything is as vicious as those from ElSalvador

> tale?

Posted by: Dumfrieskid ()
Date: March 11, 2017 06:20PM

I saw a few Thunderbirds and Pink Ladies.

Posted by: nuxthnki ()
Date: March 11, 2017 07:51PM

There was a house on Wilshire in Herndon that contained a gang of Mexican Mafia drug pushers gangsters. They operated an open air drug market out of their fleet of Mitsubishis parked along the access culdesac. At wee hours of the morning a car would drive in with Maryland plates, they would come out and remove a door panel and take a large shipping envelope out from behind the panel and give it to the gangbangers. Police would not go in there as they said it was on private property not on the public street, so it went on for 5-6 years 24 hours a day. Their Mitsubishis were running in and out constantly day and night making their deliveries. Most of the neighbors quickly moved away to get away from them.

I saw a kiddie gang try to harrass a white kid who lived behind us. They cornered him in the empty parking lot down by the pool. That family was the thiird one to leave that year, the mother said the gangs were so bad she did not want her kid growing up around Herndon.

Posted by: KleptoFromVL ()
Date: April 13, 2017 03:20AM

I moved from LA and saw gangs evolve in NVA. I cant snitch. I can only tell u some history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2017 03:20AM by KleptoFromVL.

Date: April 13, 2017 03:23AM

Of the hispanic gangs bacvk at the end of the 80s begining of the 90s. who went the hardest and could be the baddest at a club in SE DC called Trackz" something like that which was all tagged around by the different gangs and them crossing eachother out. Any OG gang member from the biggest gangs from those days would always verify this. Hispanics would listen to alotta House music, then rap and few who were more integrated and less chente or paisa, new generation hispanic or grew up in very hispanic plces like culmore would listen and even go to go-go spots. I met nothing but blacked hispanics, mostly puerto ricans and dominicans. But they went hard cos DC back then was the murder capital and proud od it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2017 03:26AM by KleptoFromVL.

Posted by: Untouchables ()
Date: April 13, 2017 07:15AM

Untouchables from Fairfax late 1980's.

Anyone remember?

Posted by: GO EAGLES ()
Date: April 13, 2017 10:54AM

se fakee Wrote:
> Unless you were NTN back then, I'd say you are the
> SE gangster wannabe.

NTN was in that 'hood near Providence Hospital off Puerto Rico Ave, that got built in the 80s---

They were a bunch of dumb punks who got locked up by the popo pretty quick. Every once in a while, some dumb punks try to revive NTN, only to have the popo lock them right up.

Posted by: xFXRES ()
Date: April 13, 2017 11:03AM

KleptoFromVL Wrote:
> who went the hardest and
> could be the baddest at a club in SE DC called
> Trackz"

It was "Tracks" or what this guy who lived in my BLDg in FC when I was a kid called "Trash", He drove a cab in DC and told me they had this thing on Wed night there he called it "Nigger Night", but Tracks called it something else but I forget what he said they called it. Anyhow, he said all these gangbangos came there on that night & used to get a cab home & the driver was lucky if they just ran out on him without paying. He said it got to the point where drivers wouldn't go there & he said the Mgt at the place used to complain to his cab company all the time about it. He said if you got a passenger who wanted to go there after 10 PM, you told him he had to get out 2 blocks & walk cuz there'd be people there kicking your cab & fighting to get it. He said it was supposed to be a gay joint when it started but it changed into something else. He mentioned they had one in Atlanta, too.

Posted by: Metrotech Hero ()
Date: April 13, 2017 11:41AM

There was the "Backyard Grill Crew" that ruled Chantilly back in the late 90's.

They drank hard, fucked harder, and kicked ass!

Date: April 17, 2017 04:25AM

It evolved from some mara queen or mara chancleta o mara de chirilagua which was more "chenton: Salvaroean word for paisa or navite new in the US and stands out.
Then Came Vatos Locos from annadale and alexandria, LA 7 from alexandria, mara LI from e/s alexandria chirilagua. after came latin homies and los bravos who got costillitas-romulo- killed in an after school fight in summer school one summer in george washington middle school in alexandria this was 95-96 after tony ortiz one of the leaders of la nueva was killed at the lee highway movie theater years before in falls church by a member of LA13.
Fisrt MS member killed was "Snoppy" killed by Oso of TRG.
There was also "LA primera")LP which was originally 2 other clics and then became one which was the guys from rout 1
MAra PErshing or New pershing in pershing arlington and little locos from greenbriar apartments real ghetto fucked up place specially in the back of they hood. Culmore locos, culmore. siete locos de culmore 7LC from 7 corners.
There was mad TRG tuny rascal gansgters and ABz asian boyz members everywhere also Dragon Fly from the asian part of culmore.

some black gangs from alexandria is new projects, alfred street and 5000 mob
from baileys croosroads thet was bcu baileys croos roads university
by rout one, seven woods, sacramento, all that later became back road mob too.
I moved from LA to alexandria so this is my perspective of the VA gang scene in 95-97

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2017 11:48PM by KleptoFromVL.

Posted by: Latin Farts ()
Date: April 17, 2017 01:09PM

KleptoFromVL Wrote:
> It evolved from some mara queen or mara chancleta
> o mara de chirilagua which was more "chenton:
> salvaroean for paisa or navite new in the US that
> sticks out.
> Tehn Came Vatos Locos from annadale and
> alexandria, LA 7 from alexandria, mara LI from
> e//s alexandria chirilagua. after came latin hmie
> and los bravos who got costillitas-romulo- killed
> in an after school fight in summer school one
> summer in geage washington middle school in
> alexandria this was after tony ortiz one of the
> liders of la nueva was killed at the lee highway
> movie theter in falls church by a member of LA13.
> Fisrt MS member killed was "Snoppy" killed by Oso
> of TRG.
> There was also LA primera which was the guys from
> rout 1
> MAra PErshing or New pershing in pershing
> arlington and little locos from greenbriar
> apartments real ghetto fucked up place way out
> back. Culmore locos, culomore. siete locos de
> culmore 7LC from 7 corners.
> There was mad TRG and ABz members everywhere also
> Dragon Fly from the asian part of culmore.
>
> some black gangs from alexandria is new projects,
> alfred street and 5000 mob
> from baileys croosroads thet was bcu baileys croos
> roads university
> by rout one, seven woods, sacramento, all that
> later became back road mob too.

No Entiendo.....

Date: April 18, 2017 11:47PM

there was some LK always. I knew some around fallls church, marshall high school/kilmer middle school.
I met Cidar Ridge(reston) thug ass niggaz in juvy, my boy watson.
Then most were route1, -the blacks i met-Back Road Mob, sacramento, 7 woods.
You could tell there was alotta gangs in the 90s, specially when u went to school.
Alexandria, baileys crossroads, annandale, arlington, wakefield high. was all full or muthafukaz that wanted to proof themselves. From a LAtino point of view. Blacks were just a big part of the atmosphere and politics. But it was our world and thing that we did with or against eachother.

Shout outs to some real ass Ganstas. BU, Brown Union made its core by some nicaragua brother and other homiez. They ran 11 and M in DC. They had love for VL and rode with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2017 11:50PM by KleptoFromVL.

Posted by: Robert lee ()
Date: April 19, 2017 08:42AM

YT destroyed this one girls house back in 90 91 during a new years party. Fight broke out, Christmas trees were thrown.

Posted by: u6XUp ()
Date: April 19, 2017 07:37PM

TOTAL BULLSHIT

THE FEW THAT TRIED IT ENDED UP IN PRISON OR WERE SENT TO IRAQ FRONT LINE

Posted by: Real OG ()
Date: October 02, 2018 10:13AM

LN ,....La Nueva ,...had the best of the best Latino Americans , notice I say Latino Americans and not just simply Latino.
It was a big issue back in the day amongst Latino Gangs ,..other Latino gangs didn’t like that LN spoke Spanish , but chose to speak English , and so other Latino gangs would call them “ fake Latinos “ ,...until La Nueva showed them all what being American and Latino at the same time was all about ,...there is no gangster more dangerous then an American gangster , and there is no American gangster more violent , skillful ( hands and weapons ) , and sophisticated , all at the same time , then a Latino American gangster ,...Latin by design , but American to the core. Word to Tony Ortiz, who grew up speaking English , very little Spanish , played football at falls church high school and was a star defensive line backer ,..and yes , was the best at putting fear into all those other fake gangster in northern Virginia back in the day ....wanna bes...you couldn’t knock out like we did , you couldn’t shine like we did , you didn’t have the long line of pretty female groupies like we did ....YT y’all weren’t no gangsters , y’all other groups , 30 mofukers only like 5 go hard , and only like 1 of those 5 owned or would even use weaponery ,..LN was the real deal back in the 90s,..and MS wouldn’t have been able to move in had LN not moved out , Rest In Peace my brother Tony Ortiz , you and I paid a high price for being THE REALIST ,...while others were just tag alongs , they never seen a day of juvinle or adult prison, that’s why they later changed their name and religion , cause they forgot about us , left us in the past ....while with me your always remembered and with me your name lives on forever .

Posted by: p9k4x ()
Date: October 02, 2018 12:06PM

Bangin with the boys( and girls) Wrote:
> We even gangbanged in the 70's. The ladies were
> more open with their sexuality.

PICS OR IT DIDN"T HAPPEN

There weren't hardly any mexicans or blacks in fairfax (not including herndon and a section in springfield) until Bill Clinton handed out money to "redistribute wealth and land". Blacks were at first called "DC Implants" because breast implants were a new "hot topic" and blacks were bussed here from dc using government money to take jobs here - a back door deal with mayor marion barry - infamous crack lord.

Posted by: ktlem ()
Date: October 02, 2018 12:08PM

during Clinton fairfax county "took over Reston" and built housing for DC (back door deal - supervisors were paid out, fairfax taxpayers paid for DC's housing, taxpayers fucked hard)

it was in national news: the crack capitol of the world infact

Posted by: kim ()
Date: July 22, 2020 10:17AM

Absolutely true!I lived through it! Crazy times. Saw a lot of death and disparity..

Posted by: kim ()
Date: July 22, 2020 10:21AM

I remember Tony. May he rest in peace. I remember the day he passed on that Friday night at the Multiplex. Despite all the craziness within his life, he was a real good dude with a very big heart.

Posted by: Beltway Bandits ()
Date: May 12, 2023 02:55AM

Yes, gangs were around in Fairfax in the late 80’s and early 90’s. A lot of HS football games were held earlier than the standard 7:30pm to prevent gang violence and trouble.
Also, Kim, If you are referring to Tony R. at/near the Taco Bell in Merrifield (now called mosaic district), he didn’t die that night. He died of a heart attack in his 40’s. :( It was a friend of his who was killed that night. However he was there. After the murder of his friend Tony ran to get help. Unfortunately it was hard for him to get help because it was so late and he was covered in blood. This was before cell phones were prominent so he had to knock on doors till someone opened up and called 911. By the time help arrived it was too late. I do agree Tony had a great heart. Sad and tragic day. Source long time family friend of Tony.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.