HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Get Your Free Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV)
Posted by: One-Way ()
Date: December 31, 2012 08:02AM

I have noticed many here have concerns of high water pressure in their home's potable water system. I have read where some have paid outlandish amounts for a new PRV -- a pressure regulating valve, commonly called a pressure reducing valve -- and I have always wondered if anybody served by Fairfax County Water Authority knows that they may be able to get the valve at no cost from the Water Authority. There are a couple of conditions:

1- your house must have been built before 1974
2- the property has not previously been provided a PRV by the Water Authority
3- your water pressure is higher than 55 psi (the Water Authority will check this)

Optimal working water pressure for your home is 55 psi to 65 psi. Many areas in the system are much higher than they should be -- I have measured systems as high as 128 psi -- you need to lower that pressure to reduce wear and stress on all of your plumbing. You will also impede the development of pin holes.

Your plumber will gladly provide you with a PRV, but it will be expensive and will not be anywhere near the quality of the PRV provided to you by the Water Authority. The PRV provided by the Water Authority is commercial-grade and will last many more years than any PRV provided by your plumber. I can tell you, the cost of the Water Authority-provided PRV is around $275.00, and the cost of most plumber-provided PRVs is around $60.00, though they will charge you upwards of $300.00 -- I know -- I'm a plumber.

The Water Authority will not install your PRV, so you will need to have a plumber do it or try it yourself. If you have plenty of space and pipe to work with above your main shutoff, it will be easier to install and should cost less for the job. For most PRV installations, my customers usually pay around $175.00, but I charge by the hour, so some are less and some are more, depending on the difficulty. If you are handy, you might be able to do it yourself with a couple SharkBite fittings, but most are not that simple.

If your house was built before 1974, to get your "free" PRV, call the Water Authority and tell them your water pressure is too high, your house was built before 1974 and you need a PRV. They will check their records to verify your address has not previously been provided with a PRV, then somebody will come out to check the pressure at a hydrant near your house, then they will let you know where to pick up your PRV -- they keep them at all of their locations.

Good luck,

A Plumber

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Get Your Free Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV)
Date: December 31, 2012 08:15AM

As an additional note for those wondering why the year your house was built matters: Prior to 1974, new homes were not required by code to have a PRV installed unless the pressure was too high. After 1974, all new houses were supposed to have a PRV installed, regardless of what the street pressure was.

Fairfax initially under-engineered the public water system, installing lines to suit what was here and what they thought would be here in the future -- they were way off -- so the system's lines are grossly undersized and the only way to utilize what was already in the ground was to increase the pressure in the existing lines to meet the demand we have now.

This is why 1974 matters.

A Plumber

Posted by: Gunruner ()
Date: December 31, 2012 10:40AM

Thanks for the info.Is it possible to notice the pressure differential between 55 psi and 128 psi when turning on a tap?

Posted by: forever lurking ()
Date: December 31, 2012 12:29PM

Thank you for the pro-tip!

Another one- it is easy to replace bathroom sink faucets and shut off valves. I just did mine by myself with NO plumbing know-how at all- hardest part was loosening those old crappy brass/copper(?) water lines to the faucets themselves after being on there for 10+ years of use!! Be liberal with the WD-40 to get them off!!

Use stainless steel faucet connector hose (most everyone has 3/8 by 1/2 in) and for good measure replace the shut off valves too (also 1/2 inch) since they tend to leak after having been in the "open" position all those years too.

All you need are 2 good open-end wrenches, a pair of pliers, and (optional) if there are tough nuts underneath holding your old faucet on, a cordless ratchet will take them right off in seconds. BE SURE to keep all your old parts until you are done installing the new and tested it and make sure everything works (just in case something is wrong with the faucet you just bought so you can reinstall it temporarily if its the only bathroom sink in your house).

Parts from home depot/lowes/whoever:

3/8 x 1/2inch Supply lines- $8 ea. x2 per faucet (hot/cold)

1/2 inch Shut off valves $8 ea. x2 per faucet (hot/cold)

New faucet- your choice depending on finish/brand, $20 and up

No more leaks- PRICELESS.

ETA to do- about an hour per sink if you don't struggle getting the old stuff off that is what takes the longest!

Follow the directions that come with the faucet. ANYONE can do this you just need to be limber enough to get up under the sink!! Watch your water bill go down once you are done!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Posted by: Wowzers ()
Date: December 31, 2012 12:38PM

Actual helpful info on this forum.

I had to double-check the URL to make sure I was in the right place.

Thanks.

Posted by: forever lurking ()
Date: December 31, 2012 12:40PM

Sorry- meant to say ADJUSTABLE wrenches like

And don't forget to shut your water off first!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!

Posted by: Really Dude ()
Date: December 31, 2012 02:55PM

I can't believe it. A truly helpful post on FFXU. This one is a gem and only comes through every so often. Embrace it.

Seriously.

Wow.

Date: January 18, 2013 02:32PM

Gunruner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the info.Is it possible to notice the
> pressure differential between 55 psi and 128 psi
> when turning on a tap?

It depends on several factors. You can purchase a pressure gauge with female hose threads at a hardware store or supply house and check the pressure at one of your hosebibs.

A Plumber

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2013 02:34PM by One-Way.

Posted by: Fairfax R ()
Date: September 17, 2013 01:31PM

https://www.fcwa.org then click on Customer Service, then Rules & Regulations, then MAINTENANCE OF SERVICE CONNECTION and final read section F. Your house must be constructed prior to December 4, 1972.

F. Pressure Reducing Valves

Customers that experience greater water pressure than they desire may elect to install a pressure reducing valve within their plumbing system. All such work must be in accordance with applicable Fairfax County Plumbing Codes. The purchase, installation, and maintenance of pressure reducing valves will be the responsibility of the Customer except that under the following circumstances the Authority will provide a pressure reducing valve to be installed and maintained at the Customer's expense:

1. If a residence was constructed prior to December 4, 1972, the date on which the Fairfax County Plumbing Code was amended to require installation of pressure reducing valves, and water pressure to that residence exceeds 80 psi; or

2. The Authority has made changes to its distribution system which increased the water pressure after a residence was constructed and the pressure exceeds 80 psi.

Posted by: ken ()
Date: May 20, 2014 06:16PM

does anyone know if it is okay to have a water supply line from the street meter to the house 1/2" pipe, if not 3/4" pipe ? since all the pipes in the house are 1/2" only, thanks

Posted by: Imthickee ()
Date: May 21, 2014 07:39PM

Why don't you just not turn on the tap all the way?

Duh.

Posted by: tdEGx ()
Date: May 21, 2014 08:09PM

> Why don't you just not turn on the tap all the way?

The street valve? Even if the valve is slightly open the pressure will balance on both sides of the valve. A PRV usually has a ball and spring to provide additional pressure on the reduced side to close the reducing valve sooner.

Posted by: CcvNK ()
Date: May 22, 2014 08:32PM

The Water Authority will not install your PRV, so you will need to have a plumber do it or try it yourself.

--------------------------
YOUR A LYING SACK OF SHIT EMPLOYING ILLEGALS WHO WILL DO A BAD JOB THAT WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS LATER

YOUR IN WITH COUNTY WORKERS WHO SAY THEY ARE OFFERING "FREE VALVES AT NO COST" TO RUN A SCAM

your getting free shit from your gov friends while my ass in particular and my family ends up with the bill, so you can get ahead

screw you go to home depot buy a valve

yes and if you bought a 1974 plymouth you might need a valve in 2015. that doesn't mean you get a free one because your fucking friends in the county "say their si a program"

Posted by: John Sullivan ()
Date: June 30, 2015 02:23PM

No need to get both personal and profane; of course, more effort is required to communicate with a modicum of respect for your audience.

Posted by: Just like the cicadas ()
Date: June 30, 2015 05:20PM

CcvNK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Water Authority will not install your PRV, so
> you will need to have a plumber do it or try it
> yourself.
>
> --------------------------
> YOUR A LYING SACK OF SHIT EMPLOYING ILLEGALS WHO
> WILL DO A BAD JOB THAT WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS LATER
>
> YOUR IN WITH COUNTY WORKERS WHO SAY THEY ARE
> OFFERING "FREE VALVES AT NO COST" TO RUN A SCAM
>
> your getting free shit from your gov friends while
> my ass in particular and my family ends up with
> the bill, so you can get ahead
>
> screw you go to home depot buy a valve
>
> yes and if you bought a 1974 plymouth you might
> need a valve in 2015. that doesn't mean you get a
> free one because your fucking friends in the
> county "say their si a program"

Nutbag shithead has finally showed up....

Posted by: m7nkE ()
Date: June 30, 2015 05:25PM

are you sure it's not adjustable and cannot cut off ?

are you sure you don't have an adjustable valve and or cut-off on the other side ?

it's a hunk of metal ... if you put another one elsewhere - same thing.

Posted by: Sammmmm ()
Date: June 12, 2020 01:23PM

How does this compare to other valves out there? My main concern is more to do with the quality than anything.

1. Does it Rust?
2. Is it weatherproof?

I have just always been curious when I see valves like that. I got some information from https://www.valvefittingstore.com/ but not entirely sure.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.