HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
how do cops determin if you have illegal tint or not?
Posted by: bookfish ()
Date: July 09, 2008 04:45PM

both of my cars have tinted windos(doors and rear window) the tint shop told me 50% front and 35% rear, just as the VA tint law specifies.

however, I just noticed in the service manual(not owner's manual) of my new car that says the factory glass in the door windows are heat blocking and have light transmission rate of 70%.

if I take that 70% into consideration, that makes the final light transmission
rate of my windows to be 35% front and 24.5% rear... or is my math off?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how do cops determin if you have illegal tint or not?
Posted by: DirtDigler ()
Date: July 09, 2008 05:07PM

I don't know but I got pulled over by a Falls Church po checking for speeders by the East Falls Church metro this morning. The guy was at the corner like he always is and I happened to be the first one there when the light turned red. Minding my own business I see the dick staring at me so I'm thinking to myself, 'ok, the assclown is looking for something wrong' - I drive a VW R32 and my tint is 35% all around.

He tells me to pull into the parking lot, I do and he takes out his gay machine to check the tint and comes back with a ticket. I'm like 'this is a new car, I don't know the law and the shop that tinted it said it was legal.' I was running late for a meeting so I told him that and said can you just give me a warning and I'll take it back to the shop to have it re-done? Assclown comes back with a ticket and says they're 'cracking down on illegal tint.' I looked him in his eyes and said, 'are you kidding? Don't you guys have something better to do. That just sounds ridiculous.' He just says, 'have a good day sir.'

Fukn' prick. Go do some work and stop fukn' around with harmless citizens. That shit bothers me especially when there are stabbings and robbery in the latin part of 7 corners and eden center all the time.

Posted by: Mike Sorce ()
Date: July 09, 2008 05:42PM

"I looked him in his eyes and said, 'are you kidding? Don't you guys have something better to do. That just sounds ridiculous.'"

Well, when you say it like that I can't believe that he actually gave you a ticket and not a warning.

Posted by: ? ()
Date: July 09, 2008 05:47PM

"Don't you have anything else better to do."

Kind of like people continually complaining about being caught breaking the law on this site. Don't YOU have anything else better to do?

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 09, 2008 06:20PM

what a fuckin prick for following orders and doing his job...

I'd say you got the most-deserved ticket all week, right ahead of the old lady with the handicap placard.

Posted by: Osama ()
Date: July 09, 2008 09:31PM

Not confimred, but I've heard some cops carry a card which they will place on the inside of the glass, if they (or you) can't read it, the tint is too dark...

Posted by: eric6789 ()
Date: July 09, 2008 09:38PM

there is a small device, a bit larger then a pager....you roll down the window and it slides over the glass. there is a small light source inside which calculates the amount of light that can pass through the class.....time of day or light conditions outside have no effect on these devices which have a 2-5% accuracy window depending on the model. in addition the devices have no need ro calibration...it is automatic....

the only court defense to the device is to claim that your windows were very dirty at the time of the test...i have seen this work about half the time if the cop doesnt document your windows were clean...however...if the cop documents they were clean you might just have to eat the fine....plus why even bother going to court over it..i believe it is a $30 dollar fine plus $62 in court costs with no points. for most people not having to deal with court is worth way more than $92.....plus.

..in all honesty you did probally break the law...not knowing the law or listening to the "tint shop" is not an excuse...it is your responsibility....so pay what you owe and take it like a man....

Date: July 09, 2008 10:17PM

The windown tint shop did give me a warranty card that clearly stated
50% front and 35% rear. However, I believe that it only stated the
light transmission rate of the tint film itself. If my car's factory
front passenger door window glass are already at 70% VLT(based on what
the service manual states), than will the cops give me a ticket anyway?

What does the Virginia tint law actually say? does the 50%/35% apply
to the tint film itself, or the tint film combined with the original
glass?

Thanks for your help!

eric6789 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> there is a small device, a bit larger then a
> pager....you roll down the window and it slides
> over the glass. there is a small light source
> inside which calculates the amount of light that
> can pass through the class.....time of day or
> light conditions outside have no effect on these
> devices which have a 2-5% accuracy window
> depending on the model. in addition the devices
> have no need ro calibration...it is automatic....
>
> the only court defense to the device is to claim
> that your windows were very dirty at the time of
> the test...i have seen this work about half the
> time if the cop doesnt document your windows were
> clean...however...if the cop documents they were
> clean you might just have to eat the fine....plus
> why even bother going to court over it..i believe
> it is a $30 dollar fine plus $62 in court costs
> with no points. for most people not having to deal
> with court is worth way more than $92.....plus.
>
> ..in all honesty you did probally break the
> law...not knowing the law or listening to the
> "tint shop" is not an excuse...it is your
> responsibility....so pay what you owe and take it
> like a man....

Posted by: Tinter ()
Date: July 09, 2008 11:25PM

The law in VA is 50% on the front doors of any motor vehicle, UNLESS a Medical Waiver is issued, (making 35% LEGAL) for cars your allowed 35% on the rear. SUVS' Trucks, Vans, its allowed dark as you want. BUT....VA alllows 7% difference... So as long as your windows don't meter below 43%...your legal.
BUT GET A MEDICAL WAIVER FROM YOUR EYE DOCTOR> its easy. YOUR ALLOWED 35% ALL around.... EITHER WAY!!! I'll be glad to tint your car for you! im a pro, been tinting for 6 years, i can do ANY CAR, CLEAN AND Professionally

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 09, 2008 11:27PM

Say nothing about the manufacterers glass and take teh card to court and say here, i got this done at a reputable shop and it is true.

If your time is worth more than the fines, pay them. Simple.

Posted by: santo ()
Date: July 10, 2008 12:42AM

how does one get a waiver from the eye doctor? where can I find such a doctor?

if I have two cars registered in my name, does the waiver cover both cars?

Tinter Wrote:
> BUT GET A MEDICAL WAIVER FROM YOUR EYE DOCTOR> its easy.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: July 10, 2008 08:25AM

lol no. Those with medical waivers of any kind aren't allowed to own more than one moving vehicle... it is in the Constitution.

Date: July 10, 2008 10:35AM

Yes, because for those who need medical waivers, the DMV will issue
you one, but you'll have to remain inside the same vehicle forever.
This is to ensure that you do not exposed to the sun's deadly rays
whne waking from your car to your house.

pgens Wrote:
> lol no. Those with medical waivers of any kind
> aren't allowed to own more than one moving
> vehicle... it is in the Constitution.

Posted by: snowdreems ()
Date: July 13, 2008 10:57PM

How about an albino. They would need a medical waiver. Can they get one? If they get a medical waiver how would they have proof when they are pulled over?

Posted by: JAY ()
Date: September 09, 2008 03:32PM

I'M WANTING TO TINT MY WINDOWS AT LEAET 35% ALL THE WAY AROUND,WHAT I WANT TO KNOW, IS. WHEN I DO GET STOPPED, WHICH I'M FINE WITH GETTING STOPPED (ONCE) FOR TINT, BUT ( WHAT IS NEXT AFTER I PAY THE TICKET, DO THEY MAKE YOU REDO IT, AND IF NOT HOW DO YOU AVOID GETTING STOPPED OR DO THEY KEEP STOPPING YOU UNTIL YOU GET TIRED OF PAYING TICKETS.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 09, 2008 05:43PM

jay, die in a fire.
file.php?2,file=2436,filename=turn+off+c
"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: betterTinter ()
Date: September 10, 2008 12:23AM

If you see an eye doctor and he can claim you are eyese are light sensitive...which many people are... they give you a waiver that applys to any and all vehicles you own and register. By law Its 50 % on front Doors and With a waiver its legal to have 35%.... And what many people don't know is VA allows a difference of 7% ...makin it legal to have your windows at their darkest ALLOWED At 29%....DARK if you ask me!!! SUVs and Trucks come factory with 25% on the rear.
But like someone said above...Cars come with Factory Tinted Glass but only 70% if you register it with a meter. So 50% tint on 70% clear glass will make it around 44%. All this math i know....but thats how it goes! know the Laws and you will win a ticket or two!

Posted by: betterTinter ()
Date: September 10, 2008 12:28AM

and Every Tinter knows..... that the cops know ***Your tint Ticket = $100 for the county! their employers.... give EASILY 10-15 tickets a day. 5 days a week = Alot of $$$ for possible new equipment Like those wicked FCPD Dirt bikes and Golf Carts!!!!!

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: September 10, 2008 08:20PM

Why do people pimp their rides to look like they're gangstas and thugs and then wonder why the police are fucking with them?

I ain't buying that "sensitive to light" horseshit. They drive the fucking thing to to the beach and lay on the sand all day, don't they?

Posted by: Libertarian1 ()
Date: September 10, 2008 10:50PM

Fairfax is literally overrun and absoluely lousy with cops. The only way to support the kind of bloated budget it takes to equip and pay a force like this is to keep the fine revenues flowing. Stop whining, run for office with a platform to get rid of the nuisance laws, trim the police forces, and focus law enforcement on real crime.

Posted by: WTF ()
Date: September 10, 2008 11:59PM

Yeah, trim the smallest per capita police department in the county. You fucking imbicile.

Waaaaaah.

Posted by: buggy ()
Date: September 11, 2008 11:25AM

Bad Tint: If the cops can't tell if you're talking on a cell phone or smoking a doobie, he'll pull you over.

Good Tint: If your car looks like it is used as a transport vechicle for "special renditions" he won't pull you over because he'll be afraid of being nabbed and sent to be tortured in an undisclosed allied country.

Bad Tint: If the gold trim on your fenders reflects in the tint creating a hazard to other drivers, he'll pull you over.

Good Tint: If the tint is on two-and-a-half inch thick bullet-proof glass, he won't pull you over because he'll assume you're part of the secret government headquarted under a mountain in West Virginia and lead by Dick Cheney and Chase Morgan.

Posted by: fireman ()
Date: September 11, 2008 01:57PM

A well deserve ticket, if you ask me. Don't blame the cop, blame the guy at the shop, who fucked you up. and by the way the hispanics are not the only criminal, there are white, black, asian, etc. as well

Posted by: Dope Rezurector ()
Date: April 13, 2009 01:36PM

I have 22% Smoke tint all around my car, I got pulled over and that little boy homo of a cop told me that my tint looked as dark as his and that's why he pulled me over. What a cock sucker this little kid was, so he gave me a ticket, and I paid the moron commonwealth my $92, and now that boy cop and the commonwealth can suck my huge cock dry for all I care because my tint is staying and there ain't shit any of these cock suckers can do about it. I'm from Brooklyn, NY and I don't abide by other states traffic laws, these fuckin VA cops are all pussies, I'd love to see some of these cock suckers transferred to NY or maybe somewhere like Baltimore city, they'd shit their pants out there, and they wouldn't be pulling people over for dark tint because they'd be afraid of getting shot! Now that's a true story my friends, now please suck my big god damn cock right off my nigger!

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: April 13, 2009 01:51PM

Dope Rezurector Wrote:
> I have 22% Smoke tint all around my car, I got
> [...]

file.php?2,file=3512
"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Slapshot ()
Date: April 13, 2009 02:31PM

Dope Rezurector is such a tough guy. I bet he talks that way to every cop that pulls him over...or maybe only after the handcuffs are on that he becomes a tough guy.

Posted by: lolwhat ()
Date: April 13, 2009 02:37PM

Dude, you got a tint ticket on a car with out of state tags? You must really have been doing something stupid. I drove my 20% car in VA with out of state tags for a while when I was in the military and not once did a cop stop me. Maybe you should stop drawing attention to yourself.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 13, 2009 02:45PM

After you get pulled over they call for a special police van. Once the van shows up they remove any suspected illegal tint windows. The windows are then sent to a lab and you find out the results in two weeks. If the windows pass you can pick them up at the station when they come back from the lab. If they fail you get a ticket and the police keep the windows.

Posted by: marvins garden ()
Date: April 13, 2009 05:42PM

Dope Rezurector Wrote:
> I have 22% Smoke tint all around my car, I got
> pulled over and that little boy homo of a cop told
> me that my tint looked as dark as his and that's
> why he pulled me over. What a cock sucker this
> little kid was, so he gave me a ticket, and I paid
> the moron commonwealth my $92, and now that boy
> cop and the commonwealth can suck my huge cock dry
> for all I care because my tint is staying and
> there ain't shit any of these cock suckers can do
> about it. I'm from Brooklyn, NY and I don't abide
> by other states traffic laws, these fuckin VA cops
> are all pussies, I'd love to see some of these
> cock suckers transferred to NY or maybe somewhere
> like Baltimore city, they'd shit their pants out
> there, and they wouldn't be pulling people over
> for dark tint because they'd be afraid of getting
> shot! Now that's a true story my friends, now
> please suck my big god damn cock right off my
> nigger!

Please stop, your mother is calling you for dinner, she made your favoite, peanut butter and jelly and cut the crust off , just how you like it,,,

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: April 13, 2009 06:58PM

Justin Wrote:
> how do cops determin if you have illegal tint or
> not?
>
> After you get pulled over they call for a special
> police van. Once the van shows up they remove any
> suspected illegal tint windows. The windows are
> then sent to a lab and you find out the results in
> two weeks. If the windows pass you can pick them
> up at the station when they come back from the
> lab. If they fail you get a ticket and the police
> keep the windows.

I belive they cut the glass to fit on the crusiers so they can repurpose it onto cop cars

Posted by: I do ill tint ()
Date: April 13, 2009 09:30PM

Nonsense they pay me with our taxpayers money to tint the cop cars....I LOVE IT...its all a vicious cycle...i tint it-you pay me-they catch you-You pay them-they come to me- they pay me :)

Posted by: obey the law and not get bothered ()
Date: April 18, 2009 11:48AM

to dope rezurector:
With a user name like that there is little wondering why the cop stopped you...you sound like a kid with a size problem...with all the talk about your ''big dick'' it sounds like you are over compensating...it is probably the size of a childs...you should try following the laws and watch how much you get pulled over...the concept is very simple...obey the law...you should watch the chris rock show and watch the segment on how not to get your ass kicked by the police...watch that and tell me that was not made just for you...asshole...and by the way go back to NY...no one here would miss you

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.