HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Hemlock Overlook- "The Real Bunnyman Bridge"
Posted by: Robert Greyberg ()
Date: August 25, 2008 07:41PM

Found this about Ivakota Farm once being a camp.

The camp is run by a private nonprofit group that dates to 1882. Back then it was called Associated Charities. Now it's called Family and Child Services. The organization ran its first summer outings program for poor, inner-city youngsters in 1904, when mothers and their children lived in tents in Rock Creek Park off Military Road. It ran several summer camps -- Camp Goodwill, Camp Pleasant, Ivakota Farm -- before purchasing 467 acres in Markham, in Fauquier County, and dubbing it Camp Moss Hollow.

The date 1904 is included just like in the legend. While it is nothing too significant it is another coinsidence that can be pieced with the legend. Any information would be great thanks!!!!!'

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 28, 2008 09:35PM

Any information possible would be great! Thanks!!!!!!

Posted by: Dr. Pepper__ ()
Date: August 28, 2008 11:18PM

Hey Robert -

Also a non-believer, but fascinated the by the whole legend, and appreciate all the effort everyone here has put into trying to nail down details.

If this has already been presented I apologize, but have you considered contacting the PD, the zoning dept, or any other county agency that may have substantive information to confirm/dispel any of your 'clues'? I would imagine that there has to be atleast some information from the time period you are interested in archived or microfiched (sp) etc. Anything not considered "public record" might still be available if you establish that you are in the midst of a research project. A trip to the courhouse may be worthwhile.

Posted by: DC2NYC ()
Date: August 29, 2008 12:03AM

I still don't see the rationale behind the legend, regardless of which version (or in this case, which BRIDGE) we're referring to. The simple fact that there just aren't any documented homicides kinda kills it for me (no pun intended).

At any rate, the 19th & Wilson film should be interesting. Maybe Chris Cooley is the Bunnyman...

http://chriscooley47.blogspot.com/2008/08/ghosts-dont-exist.html

Date: September 01, 2008 05:19PM

There is also another movie coming out about it called Dead Man's Bridge. Go to www.deadmansbridge.com to see. But as I searched satellite images of the area today, I noticed there was a section of Colchester Road shut down, that reconnects to Chapel Road on the other side. The Bunny Man Bridge that i and many others considered fake i located on the open section of the road, I think the closed section is where the "Real Bunnyman Bridge" is.

Any information on why this is closed off would be great!!! Any information in general would be great! Thanks!

Posted by: Dan O. ()
Date: September 02, 2008 01:04PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the old bridge (part of it has fallen down) about a mile or two from Tanyard Rd. It's near where the old institute used to be and it had it's own colorful history.

Date: September 02, 2008 09:05PM

Whereabouts is this road and bridge? And what is its colorful history?

This is crucial information. Please share!!!!!!

Date: September 04, 2008 09:35PM

Found 3 new bridge locations in the Popes Head Stream Valley Park area. One near the fake bridge on Colchester Road! Any information would be great!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC2NYC ()
Date: September 04, 2008 10:26PM

Robert Greyberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
One near the fake bridge
> on Colchester Road!

There's a fake bridge on Colchester Rd.? That can't be safe...

Date: September 07, 2008 03:31PM

Yeah. The real bridge is a quarter mile to the left of the bridge. I think. It looks exactly like the Bunnyman Bridge on Colchester Road but has a creek running through it. Supposedly some crimes have occurred back there. Research shows to prove it most likely dates back to the Civil War.

Posted by: OMG ()
Date: September 10, 2008 03:20PM

Someone is making a movie now

http://www.myspace.com/bunnymanthemovie

Date: September 12, 2008 09:08PM

No that is the fake one!

Posted by: gsgd ()
Date: September 14, 2008 05:41PM

no its the real one. its the one thats on worlds scariest places that aired on tv several years ago.

Date: September 14, 2008 07:14PM

No this bridge has been proven fake. It was built after the legend supposedly started and other facts counter argue its reality.

Date: September 22, 2008 08:55PM

Any information would be great. Local insane asylums, civil war bridges, rumors even! Anything relevant would be great! Information is always needed and wanted for the most part! Thanks!!!!

Posted by: g ()
Date: September 23, 2008 08:46AM

The bunnyman legend is fake. The only two true things that had anything to do with a bunnyman in clifton was back in the 1970's A man in a bunny suit threw a hatchet through a car window with two people sitting in it. And then a few weeks later a man dressed in a bunnysuit went a constuction site and tried to scare a security guard. Both times the bunnyman yelled something like your trespassing. Its was just some nutcase.

Posted by: RumorMill ()
Date: September 23, 2008 11:41PM

Rumor has it that this thread is played out like shit.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: September 24, 2008 01:57AM

g Wrote:
> The bunnyman legend is fake. The only two true
> things that had anything to do with a bunnyman in
> clifton was back in the 1970's A man in a bunny
> suit threw a hatchet through a car window with two
> people sitting in it. And then a few weeks later a
> man dressed in a bunnysuit went a constuction site
> and tried to scare a security guard. Both times
> the bunnyman yelled something like your
> trespassing. Its was just some nutcase.

This actually ended up being a History or Discovery channel episode about a month ago.

They concluded that it was basically a myth. (and it wasn't "Mythbusters")

Posted by: Ray ()
Date: September 24, 2008 02:52AM

I've spent the past while skimming through this thread and trying to get a sort f understanding. Fact is that this whole area has a fascinating history to it. "Bunnyman" or not it is still worth looking into the history of everything in the area. For instance I had no idea there was ever a dam out here... but I do have a half a mind to check it out. I'm also gonna try to keep up with the discussions and maybe find a few new things myself given the chance.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: September 24, 2008 03:08AM

Ray Wrote:
> I've spent the past while skimming through this
> thread and trying to get a sort f understanding.
> Fact is that this whole area has a fascinating
> history to it. "Bunnyman" or not it is still worth
> looking into the history of everything in the
> area. For instance I had no idea there was ever a
> dam out here... but I do have a half a mind to
> check it out. I'm also gonna try to keep up with
> the discussions and maybe find a few new things
> myself given the chance.

There's also Midgetville, off of Cedar Lane, in Vienna.

That's another local myth.

Posted by: Ray ()
Date: September 24, 2008 03:24AM

I believe you misunderstand what I am saying, Bob. I am talking about learning the historical facts (times, uses, significance, etc.) of the actual structures in the area such as the dam and the bridges.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 24, 2008 07:23AM

Bob- Midgetville is no longer there, it's been torn down.

Date: September 28, 2008 08:45PM

Major breakthrough! The Bunnyman Bridge, that I have called the "fake one", on Colchester Road used to be a railroad stop in the Civil War called Sangster's Station. A military skirmish occurred at that very spot on December 17th, 1863.

So there have been recorded murders in that area (the soldiers that died there). They were killed by bullets, not by a man in a bunny costume though. But this battle could have transformed into a story. The legend mentions the Civil War in it. And also a wide creek, such as Popes Head Creek which borders the area of Bunnyman Bridge.

This is a big breakthrough. Something rather significant, yet documented, in which Brian A.Coneley failed to mention in his dissection of the legend. I think the county is covering some stuff up here. Any information would be great! especially about Sangster's Station! Thanks!!!!

Date: September 28, 2008 08:46PM

Sorry, when I said transformed into a story, I meant transformed into part of the story, referring to the Legend of the Bunnyman and Bunnyman Bridge possibly.

Posted by: Egdird Namynnub ()
Date: September 29, 2008 11:59AM

This thread has got to be a joke! How can the county be covering up something that NEVER happened. You're trying to create a story out of an old BS tale. The "Bunnyman" never hurt anyone, let alone killed anyone. Some guy dressed in an old bunny costume and tried to scare people off his land. Thats it! If you want to make up a story and call it "The Bunnyman" then feel free, but stop wasting your time looking for facts to support something that NEVER happened. As for the Civil War soldiers fighting near the Sangster's Station bridge, that is true, however referring to the deaths as "murders" is an insult to their memories. Now please, go bark up some other tree. This one has become boring!
Attachments:
yawning.jpg

Posted by: Dan O. ()
Date: September 29, 2008 01:18PM

Has anyone ever seen the ruins of Patterson's Bridge near Clifton? It's mostly just a few supports sticking up out of the water but it could play a part in the history, especially since it was the site of that infamous Civil War skirmish in which Gen. Patterson's mean were rumored to have fought the North while dressed in bunny suits.

Posted by: James ()
Date: October 01, 2008 12:16AM

svgsgs Wrote:
> http://gazette.gmu.edu/images/bunnymanbridge.jpg
> http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://gazette
> .gmu.edu/images/bunnymanbridge.jpg&imgrefurl=http:
> //gazette.gmu.edu/articles/7359/&h=480&w=722&sz=11
> 6&tbnid=jN1pblhq64IJ::&tbnh=93&tbnw=140&prev=/imag
> es%3Fq%3Dbunnyman%2Bbridge&hl=en&usg=__Webf-2w7WAL
> EbGmjdRc05dD78sE=&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct
> =image&cd=1
>
> I thought this was the bunnyman bridge on
> colchester road in clifton. This is the one the
> police shut down during holloween.

Police don't shut it down, but do patrol that wooded area heavily on Halloween because it is a favorite spot of George Mason and HS kids.

Date: October 13, 2008 09:01PM

Does anybody know where there is a record of murders in the Clifton area? Any information would be great! Thanks!!!!!!

Date: October 16, 2008 09:43PM

This forum has not been commented on in a while. Any information would be great!

Date: October 19, 2008 09:37AM

Does any one know the location of "other" Bunny Man Bridges. It is October. And the should be becoming more present.

Any information would be great! Thanks!!!!!

Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: October 20, 2008 04:50AM

I found you the Bunnyman, you should go interview him and he will tell you everything you need to know..... $25 hour and he hates dogs...

playboy-bunny1.jpg

Date: October 25, 2008 11:48PM

I think that picture us scarier than the real legend! Any information on the subject would be great! Thanks!

Date: October 30, 2008 08:20PM

Tomorrow is Halloween; an important day in the legend. Please share any word of the bunny Man you have heard, plan of going to the bridge, or weird occurrences that have happened relating the legend lately. Any information would be great thanks!!!!

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: October 30, 2008 09:35PM

Robert Greyberg Wrote:
> Tomorrow is Halloween; an important day in the
> legend. Please share any word of the bunny Man you
> have heard, plan of going to the bridge, or weird
> occurrences that have happened relating the legend
> lately. Any information would be great thanks!!!!

Nobody but residents will be going to the Bridge tomorrow night...the police will be at Colchester & Fairfax Station Rds.

Posted by: RECORDBOB ()
Date: October 30, 2008 10:20PM

for your information, iwas born and raised in the area you are referring to. The Bunnyman bridge (urban legend) is located at theend of Colchester Road andis actually a railroad overpass. The road used tocontinue all the way to Occoquan river (old townof Colchester). There is no factual information to support any of the Bunnyman stories other than two incidents in Burke niether of which involved bodily injuery of any kind. The old (asylum) you are referring to in Balmoral off Compton road was called Ivakota Farm and was a home and 1000 acre farm run for unwed mothers during the 20's, 30's, & 40's, the house lay abandoned and vandalized for about 30 years and was torn down to build Balmoral. The only remaining trace of the homme is the cemetary for the stillborn and other infants that died shortly after birth. None of the graves are marked due to past vandalism but the cemetary is surrounded by an iron fence now The home was privately funded and it's residents treated well, although required to work the farm. There has NEVER been an asylum located anywhere in this area let alone fairfax county. St. Elizabeths in Washinton DC has been the only insane asylum anywhere near here for at l100 year or more. The onlyother facility was a sanatarium located around Wincheswter (50 miles away) that facility treated alcoholics, drug addicts, and persons suffering from tuberculosis and other diseases. Clifton did not exist until after the civil War. Prior to that it was known as deveraux stqtion which was little more than a "woodstop" for the railroad. The actual Deveraux Station waslocatedvery near the Colchester road "Bunnyman Bridge". Hope this clears up a few things for you guys. have a happy!!!

Date: November 07, 2008 09:18AM

New break through! The "fake" Bunnyman Bridge site on Colchester Road, used to be Sangster's Station where a Civil War battle occurred and the location of the County Poorhouse, supposedly where the poor, mentally insane, and possibly convicts were kept. This is huge! But I need more information on it.

For the past two weeks I have been searching across the internet and there are only two or three sites so far that have given me the slightest information on this topic. So anything anybody knows where to find out information, or if anyone knows any information about the County Poor House on Colchester Road or any information on Bunnyman Bridge in general. Please share! We really could be close on cracking down the roots of this so called legend, and uncovering the truth. Thanks!!!! Any information would be great!

Posted by: Reverend ()
Date: November 16, 2009 06:49PM

Hey all, been researching this urban myth for a term paper. Man, look in the right places and you never know what will turn up. There indeed has been some psycho covered in rabbit skins-not a costume-that has chased ppl around. Thing is none of the incidents were around the bridge. As for Nova not having ever had an asylum/sanitarium? That is straight bullsht. I stood in one, long abandoned, a few years ago. When doing research be very careful as to what the county and state called certain institutions like for instance there was never indeed a sanitarium because the government called it something innocuous like a "home" and "institute" especially...

Posted by: RobertGreyberg ()
Date: January 04, 2010 08:47PM

Thank you, you make a very good point.

Posted by: scottydfl422 ()
Date: January 06, 2010 07:59AM

There is an old schoolhouse at the intersection of Compton Road and Union Mill Road. Does anyone know the history of that?

Date: January 10, 2010 12:11PM

I think that is listed somewhere in this thread. And I believe it was part of Ivakota Farm.

Posted by: CliftonResident ()
Date: January 10, 2010 01:17PM

http://savecrouchschool.org/school_history.htm

scottydfl422 Wrote:
> There is an old schoolhouse at the intersection of
> Compton Road and Union Mill Road. Does anyone
> know the history of that?

Posted by: 222 ()
Date: February 15, 2010 10:01PM

Anybody see Bunnyman lately?

Posted by: Elle Diabla ()
Date: February 15, 2010 10:02PM

I just saw him last night when he delivered pizza.

Looked a bit rough.

Posted by: Mr. Misery ()
Date: February 17, 2010 08:12AM

The Bunnyman was just a pawn, people...he was paid off by the Grinning Man, Indrid Cold, to make news so people would forget about the real tri-state horror story---the Flatwoods Monster! And the Flatwoods Monster is in turn a diversion created by the government to cover-up "The Hum"! Do you ever hear a low-frequency sort of rumbling noise, when you're all alone and it's completely silent? If you have, then what you've really heard is an acoustic frequency generated as a result of our government drilling countless tunnels under the US, building a shadow society to keep the human race going after the nuclear holocaust! Listen carefully, people...."The Hum" is trying to tell the world of what's REALLY happening, but YOU are NOT LISTENING!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I apologize to those I unfairly hurt. To Harry Tuttle in particular.
Attachments:
Flatwoods_Monster2.jpg

Posted by: Mike Johnson ()
Date: February 07, 2011 12:37PM

Family & Child Services did not acquire Ivakota Farm and turn it into a camping program until around 1959. George Greene was hired to run the farm and create some boys camping clubs, of which I am an original member of the first club, The Trailblazers. We camped there on weekends and holidays, and in the summer it was run as a summer camp, with us boys filling various positions. I also juggled this with my Boy Scout activities. My last summer was in 1965, after my High School graduation. I joined the Navy that fall and eventually was shipped off to 'Nam for two tours.
I do remember some Bunnyman tales. George and Randy Dorsey were quite the story-tellers themselves.

Posted by: el camaro ()
Date: February 13, 2011 04:45PM

Anyone know what was in the cornerstone of the main hall of the Ivakota Farm? Or where one could find out? I found the farm in the spring of 94 before it burned down later that summer, as I had heard it was the 'asylum' the bunnyman escaped from. Now that I know what the place was, I want to find out the contents of the cornerstone as I saw it burn down, I explored the building only weeks prior, and found all manner of creepy things. KKK and satanic graffiti, shotgun blasts in the building, broken beer bottles, the cages hanging from the tree just past the well house, the stable/barn with the rusting equipment. I went one night and found a few people drinking inside, they had a fire going in an old tub. They told me it used to be an asylum and that there used to be KKK meetings and devil worship ceremonies held there over the years since it had been abandoned. They pointed me down the trail where the huge tree was, with the makeshift benches around it and the cages hanging from ropes were. I never saw medical devices inside, and I even crawled through the crawlspaces under the building. The night it burned down I could see the glow from my house on Popes Head rd, I went to see and found it was the 'asylum'. The fire dept was just containing the fire, they didnt try to save the building as it was already engulfed. I went back the next day, and found the cornerstone had a small metal box inserted into a cavity on the top of it, it held mostly charred papers-possibly newspapers or photos?

Posted by: Old School ()
Date: February 15, 2011 10:05AM

Mike Johnson Wrote:
> Family & Child Services did not acquire Ivakota
> Farm and turn it into a camping program until
> around 1959. George Greene was hired to run the
> farm and create some boys camping clubs, of which
> I am an original member of the first club, The
> Trailblazers. We camped there on weekends and
> holidays, and in the summer it was run as a summer
> camp, with us boys filling various positions. I
> also juggled this with my Boy Scout activities. My
> last summer was in 1965, after my High School
> graduation. I joined the Navy that fall and
> eventually was shipped off to 'Nam for two tours.
> I do remember some Bunnyman tales. George and
> Randy Dorsey were quite the story-tellers
> themselves.

Hey Mike,

First of all, thanks for your military service for our country. You obviously had some great memories of the Ivakota Farms area. Would you care to share some of your stories and experiences of Ivakoka. Perhaps some of the stories that George and Randy told to you about the place.
About two decades after you were there, my friends and I spent a lot of time in the surrounding woods (camping, fishing, hiking, motorcycle riding, etc.). This area was very special to me and will provide a lifetime of good memories.
Thanks

Posted by: confused ()
Date: February 15, 2011 01:23PM

what a truly pathetic thread. can someone explain to me how one element of a fake story can be more fake than another element of the same fake story? how is it that there is a "fake" bunnyman bridge and a "real" bunnyman bridge, when there exists no bunnyman bridge to begin with? and how could so many people have been occupied with trying to find this "real" bunnyman bridge when you can't even define such a thing.

Posted by: fxpest ()
Date: February 15, 2011 09:43PM

The bridge that the legend was made up about is at the end of colchester rd. The best part of that legend is scaring all the pot heads that show up at the other bridge.

Date: February 24, 2011 06:42PM

Mike,

Thanks for sharing your stories about Ivakota Farm with us. Like Old School said, it would be great to hear any more in-depth or detailed stories about what the place used to be like. When you said that you remember hearing stories about the Bunny Man when you went there, did you mean before the 1970s? If so, then you just proved something significant. One theory behind the main source of the legend, is whether it is mainly based off of an incident off of Guinea Road, in the early 70s, when a man in a bunny costume threw hatchets at a parked car, and vandalized new homes that were under construction in that area. It has therefore, been difficult trying to trace any particular stories about the Bunny Man to before the 70s. But if you claim you heard Bunny Man stories in the 60s, this greatly changes the way in which many people view the legend, and is extremely significant, in terms of digging deeper to find the actual roots and sources of this legend, because it could prove that the legend is not mainly based off of the Guinea Rd incident in the 1970s, it could be based off of more stuff before then.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2011 10:29PM by RobertGreyberg.

Posted by: Danny ()
Date: July 02, 2011 09:55PM

my friends brother went inside the sanatarium last year so it definitely exists and me and my friends are going to it this friday, well take pictures of it to prove that it does exist

Date: July 08, 2011 10:39PM

That would be very helpful. I am very curious to see what this alleged asylum site looks like/ it's location as well. The only two alleged institutions in Clifton/ Fairfax Station that had any resemblance to an insane asylum/mental hospital were the Ivakota Farm buildings and the Old Poorhouse off of Colchester Road, both of which are long gone.

Any other sites, I am not aware of but would be more than curious to see/hear about.

So thank you!

Date: July 08, 2011 10:39PM

That would be very helpful. I am very curious to see what this alleged asylum site looks like/ it's location as well. The only two alleged institutions in Clifton/ Fairfax Station that had any resemblance to an insane asylum/mental hospital were the Ivakota Farm buildings and the Old Poorhouse off of Colchester Road, both of which are long gone.

Any other sites, I am not aware of but would be more than curious to see/hear about.

So thank you!

Date: August 30, 2011 10:39PM

Do any Fairfax County residents who have lived in the area a long time know of any homicide or missing person cases that occurred in Clifton of Fairfax Station in the 60s,70s, or 80s?

Also is there a database or place where you can efficiently and easily look that information up?

Posted by: The Bunnyman Cometh ()
Date: October 30, 2011 10:49AM

Bunnyman Bridge
http://crazyhorsesghost.hubpages.com/hub/Haunted_Places_In_The_USA

Bunnyman Bridge in Fairfax County, Virginia has several stories about an entity (the "Bunnyman") who supposedly haunts the area

All About The Bunny Man

The Bunny Man is an urban legend based in Clifton in Fairfax County, Virginia. The stories in the legend can be wide in variance from the origin of the killer, names, transportation changes, the killer's motives, the weapon(s) of choice, the design or color of his bunny suit, and the possible demise of the killer. The killer's ghost or aging spectre is said to come out to the "Bunny Man"'s place of death each year on Halloween to commemorate his untimely demise. Sometimes, victims' carcasses are said to be left in varying states of death, sometimes having been skinned or gutted, and some victims appeared with horns fashioned out of deer antlers or sticks protruding from the heads.

The legend
In 1904, a mental institution in Clifton, Virginia, is shut down by successful petition of the growing population of residents in Fairfax County. During the transfer of inmates to a new facility, the transport carrying the inmates crashes; some patients escaped or were found dead. A search party finds all but two of them.

During this time, locals begin to find hundreds of cleanly skinned, half-eaten carcasses of rabbits hanging from the trees in the surrounding areas. Another search of the area is ordered and they locate the remains of Marcus Wallster, left in a similar fashion to the rabbit carcasses hanging in a nearby tree or under a bridge overpass, known locally as the "Bunny Man Bridge", along the railroad tracks at Colchester Road. Officials name the last missing inmate, Douglas J. Grifon, as their suspect and call him the "Bunny Man".

Officials finally manage to locate Grifon but, during their attempt to apprehend him at the overpass, he nearly escapes before being hit by an oncoming train where the original transport crashed. It was finally revealed that Grifon was institutionalized for killing his family and children on Easter Sunday.

For years after the "Bunny Man"'s death, in the time approaching Halloween carcasses are found hanging from the overpass and surrounding areas. A figure is said to have been seen or heard by passersby making their way through the one lane bridge tunnel.

Victims

In the legend, Bunny Man's purported victims typically are disobedient children or young adults investigating the legend or behaving mischievously away from adult supervision. Groups are separated from one another and the group that returns to the bridge, seemingly not lost, leaves the other members of the group to be stranded without transportation as a joke. Upon returning the next day they locate their lost friends hanging from the train bridge overpass with the same modus operandi of the "Bunny Man".

Investigations
While the legend has circulated for years in several forms, the version naming a suspect and specific location was posted to a Web site in the late 1990s by a "Timothy C. Forbes". Fairfax County Public Library Historian-Archivist Brian A. Conley says this version is demonstrably false; among other inconsistencies, Conley notes that "there has never been an asylum for the insane in Fairfax County" and that "Lorton Prison didn't come into existence until 1910, and even then it was an arm of the District of Columbia Corrections system, not Virginia's." Court records show neither a Grifon nor a Wallster and, writes Conley, "there is not and never has been a Clifton Town Library."

Still, Conley persisted with his investigation and learned of two sightings in 1970 of an ax-wielding man in a bunny suit; in one case, the man chopped at a wooden column and threatened the witnesses, while the other had the man throwing the ax through a car window. Police closed the case after identifying only one adult witness and several children having reported seeing someone in a bunny suit. A university student later presented a paper on local legends that chronicled more than four dozen variations on those two events.
Attachments:
25788_f520.jpg
25789_f520.jpg

Date: October 31, 2011 02:34PM

Most of that is false. Anyone who has stories about "Bunnyman Bridge" experiences in the past, please share.

Date: November 01, 2011 12:04AM

Did anyone manage to get past the road block and go to the bridge at Midnight, four minutes ago? If so, please share!

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: December 10, 2011 03:53PM

The WaPo's Answer Man gives us a little background on the hydroelectric dam pictures on the first page of this thread

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/little-is-left-of-bull-run-dam-that-once-helped-electrify-manassas/2011/12/08/gIQAvF9wkO_story.html

What are the details on the remains of a hydroelectric power plant in Hemlock Overlook Regional Park, on the western edge of Fairfax County, near Clifton? A sign at the park entrance states it was built in 1925. The flow of the creek (Bull Run) seems minimal there. Did it provide power for most of the county, or just the town of Clifton? That area was surely considered the boondocks in those days.

Even people in the boondocks enjoy a nice serving of electricity every now and then, Brad. And it was people like that, as well as people who wanted to make money from people like that, who were the audience for an advertisement that appeared in the Fairfax Herald on June 25, 1926. It read:

“Your opportunity to share in developing one of the natural resources of our community — something that benefits you. Your Power Plant brought to your front door for your convenience; brightening your home and lightening your labors.

“Does this mean anything to you? Are you going to let this opportunity slip by, not doing your part in its fulfillment? Come in with us now and become a pioneer in this community project. It is yours for the asking. ACT NOW. Bull Run Power Co. Manassas, Virginia. This Ad Will Not Appear Again.”

The ad confirmed speculation that had been bubbling in the area for more than a year. As early as January of 1925 local papers were printing reports of efforts to use water to produce electricity. “Cheap Power for Manassas” read the headline over a story in the Herndon News Observer that month: “Unverified reports are circulating in the county to the effect that a project is on foot to furnish the city of Manassas and surrounding country with cheaper electric power developed from the waters of Bull Run.”

Note that the story said “with cheaper electric power.” This wasn’t a case of bringing power to a place that didn’t have it — though, certainly, backers were hoping to gain new customers. This was a case of changing how the power was created. At the time, power for Manassas was supplied by a municipal steam plant. (Answer Man isn’t sure how that was powered. Coal?)

The story noted, “As water power is generally much cheaper than that produced by the most improved steam equipment, reports of the Bull Run project, if true, will interest users of light and power in Manassas.”

According to a 1964 story in the Northern Virginia Sun, the Bull Run Power Co. was started by William B. Doakes. A dam of earth, stone, concrete and wood was built about three-quarters of a mile upstream from Yates Crossing. The dam backed up Bull Run, creating a seven-acre lake. Water spun two turbines, creating lovely electricity.

Clifton was the first town to get power from the hydro plant, in the fall of 1928. A year later Manassas started getting its juice from the Bull Run plant.

According to the Sun article, the plant was closed in 1940, its metal later salvaged during the scrap iron drives of World War II. Answer Man found a 1941 article describing how the Bull Run company had been taken over by the Prince William Electric Cooperative, which was putting into service a $200,000 plant that used five diesel engines to produce power. Fossil fuel wins again!

All that remains of the old plant today are a pair of graffiti-covered cinder-block buildings, looking like Cold War blockhouses plopped down in the woods.

Posted by: kohlchester ()
Date: April 25, 2012 09:38AM

Anyone interested in Bunny Man Bridge hasn't done there homework until they have visited www.colchesteroverpass.org

Date: September 30, 2012 04:23PM

It's time to update this thread. It's been a while but there's still more research to be done on this topic.

Posted by: Nice Bump ()
Date: September 30, 2012 04:30PM

Hey Greyberg aka 'Tard.
Get out of your bed, make it, clean up your room, and bring down the Love Sack.
The Redskins are on.
Get me Boddingtons out of the fridge and poor it in a tall beer glass.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: September 30, 2012 04:59PM

This thread has over 43,000 views!

Date: October 12, 2012 06:19PM

Allegedly there were two Civil War Forts near where Ivakota Farm was located close to Hemlock Overlook and Compton Road. Does anyone have information on that?

Posted by: RobertGrayburg ()
Date: October 12, 2012 06:25PM

Yes, yes, I'm compiling information. Keep doing research and I'll keep asking questions!! I'm a researcher based on other people's efforts!! Yes, yes!

Date: October 17, 2012 04:13PM

Bridge on the border of Hemlock Overlook Regional Park and Bull Run Regional Park. It was a significant bridge during the Civil War near the Union Mils Station.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 04:40PM by RobertGreyberg.
Attachments:
Snapshot 2012-10-17 16-43-23.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 16-45-11.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 16-46-22.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 16-48-07.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 16-49-37.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 16-50-44.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 16-51-33.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 16-54-59.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 16-56-11.tiff

Date: October 17, 2012 05:36PM

Union Mills and Union Mills Station were located within Hemlock Overlook Regional Park and in the areas surrounding Hemlock Overlook Regional Park. They served as significant landmarks before, during, and after the Civil War.
Attachments:
Snapshot 2012-10-17 17-01-20.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 17-00-48.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 17-02-45.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 17-04-32.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 17-05-14.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 17-05-49.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 17-06-18.tiff
Scan Aerial Photograph Historical Book Excerpt.tiff

Date: October 17, 2012 05:41PM

Multiple Civil War Forts are located within Hemlock Overlook Regional Park and the areas surrounding Hemlock Overlook Regional Park.
Attachments:
Snapshot 2012-10-17 17-41-10.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 17-41-38.tiff

Date: October 17, 2012 05:55PM

A Civil War Map that notes the location of Union Mills Station, Sangster's Station, and Fairfax Station as well as various waterways, roadways, railroads, and landowners in the areas of present day Centreville, Clifton, and Fairfax Station as well as Prince William County and Fairfax County.
Attachments:
Snapshot 2012-10-17 17-46-25.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 17-48-19.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 17-50-39.tiff

Date: October 17, 2012 06:00PM

Pictures of the Bull Run Dam that would later help provide electric power to surrounding areas.
Attachments:
Snapshot 2012-10-17 18-00-03.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 18-00-29.tiff

Date: October 17, 2012 06:32PM

Map and pictures of Ivakota Farm and the areas surrounding Ivakota Farm which was located near Hemlock Overlook Regional Park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 06:32PM by RobertGreyberg.
Attachments:
Snapshot 2012-10-17 18-26-39.tiff
Snapshot 2012-10-17 18-32-26.tiff

Date: October 17, 2012 06:34PM

All of these pictures come from the book Stone Ground: A History of Union Mills. I hope they are some help to research.

Posted by: Ghost Hallows ()
Date: October 28, 2012 05:47AM

Bunnyman Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8mcHpMbjjI&feature=player_embedded

All About The Bunny Man

The Bunny Man is an urban legend based in Clifton in Fairfax County, Virginia. The stories in the legend can be wide in variance from the origin of the killer, names, transportation changes, the killer's motives, the weapon(s) of choice, the design or color of his bunny suit, and the possible demise of the killer. The killer's ghost or aging spectre is said to come out to the "Bunny Man"'s place of death each year on Halloween to commemorate his untimely demise. Sometimes, victims' carcasses are said to be left in varying states of death, sometimes having been skinned or gutted, and some victims appeared with horns fashioned out of deer antlers or sticks protruding from the heads.

The legend
In 1904, a mental institution in Clifton, Virginia, is shut down by successful petition of the growing population of residents in Fairfax County. During the transfer of inmates to a new facility, the transport carrying the inmates crashes; some patients escaped or were found dead. A search party finds all but two of them.

During this time, locals begin to find hundreds of cleanly skinned, half-eaten carcasses of rabbits hanging from the trees in the surrounding areas. Another search of the area is ordered and they locate the remains of Marcus Wallster, left in a similar fashion to the rabbit carcasses hanging in a nearby tree or under a bridge overpass, known locally as the "Bunny Man Bridge", along the railroad tracks at Colchester Road. Officials name the last missing inmate, Douglas J. Grifon, as their suspect and call him the "Bunny Man".

Officials finally manage to locate Grifon but, during their attempt to apprehend him at the overpass, he nearly escapes before being hit by an oncoming train where the original transport crashed. It was finally revealed that Grifon was institutionalized for killing his family and children on Easter Sunday.

For years after the "Bunny Man"'s death, in the time approaching Halloween carcasses are found hanging from the overpass and surrounding areas. A figure is said to have been seen or heard by passersby making their way through the one lane bridge tunnel.

Victims

In the legend, Bunny Man's purported victims typically are disobedient children or young adults investigating the legend or behaving mischievously away from adult supervision. Groups are separated from one another and the group that returns to the bridge, seemingly not lost, leaves the other members of the group to be stranded without transportation as a joke. Upon returning the next day they locate their lost friends hanging from the train bridge overpass with the same modus operandi of the "Bunny Man".

Investigations
While the legend has circulated for years in several forms, the version naming a suspect and specific location was posted to a Web site in the late 1990s by a "Timothy C. Forbes". Fairfax County Public Library Historian-Archivist Brian A. Conley says this version is demonstrably false; among other inconsistencies, Conley notes that "there has never been an asylum for the insane in Fairfax County" and that "Lorton Prison didn't come into existence until 1910, and even then it was an arm of the District of Columbia Corrections system, not Virginia's." Court records show neither a Grifon nor a Wallster and, writes Conley, "there is not and never has been a Clifton Town Library."

Still, Conley persisted with his investigation and learned of two sightings in 1970 of an ax-wielding man in a bunny suit; in one case, the man chopped at a wooden column and threatened the witnesses, while the other had the man throwing the ax through a car window. Police closed the case after identifying only one adult witness and several children having reported seeing someone in a bunny suit. A university student later presented a paper on local legends that chronicled more than four dozen variations on those two events.

Posted by: Cap'n Chaos ()
Date: October 13, 2014 09:24PM

Posted by: Local Dude ()
Date: October 14, 2014 02:28AM

Bunny man must've got her. Poor kid.

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.