HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
can I drive on I-66 during HOV hours to/from Rosslyn to Dulles airport, if I work inside the airport?
Posted by: andis ()
Date: July 08, 2008 06:20PM

can I drive on I-66 during HOV hours from Rosslyn to Dulles airport, if I work inside the airport? no passengers inside the vehicle, only me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: can I drive on I-66 during HOV hours to/from Rosslyn to Dulles airport, if I work inside the airport?
Date: July 08, 2008 06:58PM

Uh... you can only drive in HOV lanes if you have 2 or more occupants per vehicle or if your vehicle has exception to the rule (ie. motorcycle or hybrid or whatever) and I-66 Westbound is HOV both lanes monday through friday from I think 4:00 or 4:30 to 6:30pm.
The law says nothing about where you work, only how many people are in the car and the time of day. If you are going from Rosslyn towards the Dulles Toll road then I think you would be going westbound on I-66, which is HOV-only, inside the beltway.

Re: can I drive on I-66 during HOV hours to/from Rosslyn to Dulles airport, if I work inside the airport?
Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: July 08, 2008 07:15PM

boristhebulletdodger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Uh... you can only drive in HOV lanes if you have
> 2 or more occupants per vehicle or if your vehicle
> has exception to the rule (ie. motorcycle or
> hybrid or whatever) and I-66 Westbound is HOV both
> lanes monday through friday from I think 4:00 or
> 4:30 to 6:30pm.
> The law says nothing about where you work, only
> how many people are in the car and the time of
> day. If you are going from Rosslyn towards the
> Dulles Toll road then I think you would be going
> westbound on I-66, which is HOV-only, inside the
> beltway.

Wrong! You can use 66 West bound going to the airport for official airport business during HOV times. You must get on the Dulles access road and go to the airport. They ticket HOV violators getting off 66 at places other than the access road. Going to work at the airport, ticketed passengers, or picking up at the airport all all acceptable times to use HOV lanes when you are not a HOV.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 09, 2008 05:10AM

yeah boris, the washington post did a recent article about this... anyone with airport biz has the access described in the post above.

it is up to the cop's discretion if you had business there or not, as far as wther you get a ticket. The article recommended having receipts for airport businesses or flight times and airline names if you are doing a pickup/drop off.

the washpost article mentioned how many people drive to dulles and use the gas station there for coffee, just so they can claim airport business.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 09, 2008 02:28PM

And now because of the article ( and another recent one on how people who dont have ez-pass drive thru the ez-pass lane and dont pay the toll and dont get fined) the police will now enforce all those things and say getting coffe is not a good reason.

DAMn you washington post!

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: July 09, 2008 07:00PM

You don't even have to buy a cup off coffee. Go to the Airport Services area, find the FedEx Counter and pick up a empty FedEx box. Airport Business!

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: July 09, 2008 07:41PM

Radiophile Wrote:
> You don't even have to buy a cup off coffee. Go to
> the Airport Services area, find the FedEx Counter
> and pick up a empty FedEx box. Airport Business!

I don't know if a judge will give this one a pass, however
I had heard people go to the Dulles Postal Center and mail a bill payment. They can tell the judge they needed to get the bill received a day earlier so they had to go to the Dulles Post office in the evening to hopefully get the bill on one of the first flights out in the morning. But this system will cost you 43 cents if you currently pay online.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 10, 2008 03:19AM

All they have to do is define airport buisness. Then getting coffee will not be defined as airport buisness.

Posted by: jack ()
Date: July 24, 2009 12:51PM

i get on 66 west from ballston. If i take the dulles airport exit and then go on toll roadand not the access road will I get ticketed? I don't think I have ever seen any cops pulling people over off the ramp from ballston. also have not seen cops waiting at the seperation of the access and toll road

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: July 24, 2009 12:54PM

You can drive on 66 anytime you want. Certain hours you might get a ticket.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: July 24, 2009 12:54PM

If you get on at Fairfax Drive, the PD cannot determine if you are going to IAD or not. You're fine (assuming you actually go to IAD). But, if you dare get on at Fairfax Drive and attempt to exit at, say, Rte. 7, there are often FCPD and VSP cruisers waiting for you.

I've also seen instances where just shy of the Beltway I have seen VSP officers on motorcycles on the shoulder observing the number of occupants in a car and if they don't see the requisite number or see that the car is an exempted car, they'll go after the car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2009 12:54PM by ITRADE.

Posted by: curious ()
Date: July 24, 2009 12:58PM

Logically- if you live in Rosslyn and commute to Dulles you would be driving outbound in the morning and inbound in the evening- what's the issue?

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: July 24, 2009 01:38PM

There shouldn't be one... he's not driving in any HOV lanes.

Posted by: Maynard ()
Date: September 15, 2009 12:54PM

Since the Airport is open almost 24/7. People that work at the airport might not be commuting during the normal commute times.

Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: September 15, 2009 07:25PM

andis Wrote:
> can I drive on I-66 during HOV hours from Rosslyn
> to Dulles airport, if I work inside the airport?
> no passengers inside the vehicle, only me.

Yes.

You must take the Dulles Access Road directly to the airport.

At the westbound split just before Chain Bridge Road/Dolley Madison Blvd., you must go left where the toll road goes right.

You might get pulled over, but show the cop your work ID and parking pass.

Date: September 15, 2009 07:26PM

ITRADE Wrote:
> If you get on at Fairfax Drive, the PD cannot
> determine if you are going to IAD or not. You're
> fine (assuming you actually go to IAD). But, if
> you dare get on at Fairfax Drive and attempt to
> exit at, say, Rte. 7, there are often FCPD and VSP
> cruisers waiting for you.
>
> I've also seen instances where just shy of the
> Beltway I have seen VSP officers on motorcycles on
> the shoulder observing the number of occupants in
> a car and if they don't see the requisite number
> or see that the car is an exempted car, they'll go
> after the car.

Ditto for Rte. 123.

Date: September 15, 2009 07:28PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> All they have to do is define airport buisness.
> Then getting coffee will not be defined as airport
> buisness.

Getting coffee at the service station constitutes doing business at the airport and people living in western Loudoun and even West Virginia have used that tactic for years to use I-66 during rush hour.

Date: September 15, 2009 07:30PM

FUNdamental Wrote:
> boristhebulletdodger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Uh... you can only drive in HOV lanes if you
> have
> > 2 or more occupants per vehicle or if your
> vehicle
> > has exception to the rule (ie. motorcycle or
> > hybrid or whatever) and I-66 Westbound is HOV
> both
> > lanes monday through friday from I think 4:00
> or
> > 4:30 to 6:30pm.
> > The law says nothing about where you work, only
> > how many people are in the car and the time of
> > day. If you are going from Rosslyn towards the
> > Dulles Toll road then I think you would be
> going
> > westbound on I-66, which is HOV-only, inside
> the
> > beltway.
>
> Wrong! You can use 66 West bound going to the
> airport for official airport business during HOV
> times. You must get on the Dulles access road and
> go to the airport. They ticket HOV violators
> getting off 66 at places other than the access
> road. Going to work at the airport, ticketed
> passengers, or picking up at the airport all all
> acceptable times to use HOV lanes when you are not
> a HOV.

Fun, you are correct (see my other posts on this thread) and Boris you are WRONG.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: September 16, 2009 01:06AM

andis Wrote:
> can I drive on I-66 during HOV hours from Rosslyn
> to Dulles airport, if I work inside the airport?
> no passengers inside the vehicle, only me.

Don't be surprised if some Police forget that you CAN do it, but YES, it is allowed.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: September 17, 2009 09:20AM

I dunno, lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.