HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Tractor Trailer Accident on 495 near Braddock Rd
Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 04, 2012 03:39PM

"Inner Loop crash on I-495 toward Tysons snarls traffic

Expect major delays on I-495 in the inner loop toward Tysons in Fairfax County because of a tractor-trailer accident.

Read more: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/12/inner-loop-crash-at-i-95-495-toward-tysons-snarls-traffic-82748.html#ixzz2E7M16JpG "

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tractor Trailer Accident on 495 near Braddock Rd
Date: December 04, 2012 03:39PM

FAIRFAX CO/VEH ACC WITH FATAL/I-495N SOUTH OF BRADDOCK RD/ 5 OF 6 LANES BLOCKED/TRAFFIC GETTING BY IN THE LEFT LANE

Sent by OEM Fairfax County to Severe Traffic (E-mail, Pager, Cell Phone) through the Fairfax County Emergency Alert Network ... powered by Cooper Notification RSAN

Posted by: Lexus (Luther) Lane ()
Date: December 04, 2012 06:09PM

I saw this this afternoon on a run over to Springfield. Normally I take Braddock to Springfield to shop at Trader Joe's then hop back on 495 - not today and in fact not a lot of days since they opened the 'Crash Lanes'

The accident was very nasty and you guessed it right before the entrance to the Lexus(Luther) Lanes. Traffic backed up forever on the inner loop and 395. Thanks Transurban! Rather than ease traffic the Hot Lanes are more like the 'Hot-Mess Lanes.' I rarely use the beltway because it already sucked now its just unusable. Faster for me to take the back roads to get around. Guess we will pay for increased wear and tear on our county roads now that the beltway is effectively out of business.

What is sort of scary is today was a dry sunny day (in the 70's) and this horrific accident happens in a spot where there used to be only one or two accidents per year. Since the Hot Lanes opened they had what, 4 the first 12 hours of operation and several in the couple weeks after that and now this.

Its costing lives now too. I understand there was a fatality today. Thanks Transurban. Be advised, by the way, the only safe place for the damaged vehicles to be moved was of course the shoulder on the right (since there is none on the left anymore. That means the public right of way is used while the Lexus Lanes can just motor by the carnage.

Posted by: Beltway Observer ()
Date: December 04, 2012 06:31PM

No doubt another outcome from some idiot texting while driving. I'd guess easily 30% of drivers out there are not paying attention to actually driving.

Posted by: Death Lanes ()
Date: December 04, 2012 06:35PM

A death after so many previous accidents. Video on You Tube showing how the lanes are not properly marked. Ineffective addition of a few additional cheap signs to address the problem.

Can't wait to read the depositions for this lawsuit.

Time to start a victims compensation fund. Ten percent of every toll paid would be a good start.

Posted by: The Grease ()
Date: December 04, 2012 06:49PM

"Snarls" -- is dat like a Snarlin' narlin'"? Hobba Doo GEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Higher than that ()
Date: December 04, 2012 06:50PM

Beltway Observer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No doubt another outcome from some idiot texting
> while driving. I'd guess easily 30% of drivers
> out there are not paying attention to actually
> driving.

I believe the figure is closer to 60% who are not paying full time and attention. Probably 30% are using a cell phone or texting.

Posted by: area out of control ()
Date: December 04, 2012 07:11PM

It's getting ri-god-damn-diculous in this area! you roll the dice with your life driving with the fucktards texting and talking on the phone, the other half are fucking Foreigners who can't drive for shit.

Posted by: Not a fucktard ()
Date: December 04, 2012 07:39PM

Didn't take long for the first fatal accident to result from these stupid HOT lanes. I wonder if a class action lawsuit will be filed after some more of these?

I occasionally take the Loudoun commuter bus into DC for work, and it's staggering how many people drive on the toll road and 66 while looking at their lap (ie. cell phone). Maybe 20%?

Posted by: admitit ()
Date: December 04, 2012 08:20PM

Admit it - this venture is a dangerous failure. Take up the dividers. Trash the toll collecting pay Transurban its ransom and save some lives...

Nah just kidding. Keep killing people for profit!

Posted by: herb cohen ()
Date: December 04, 2012 08:27PM

admitit Wrote:
> Admit it - this venture is a dangerous failure.
> Take up the dividers. Trash the toll collecting
> pay Transurban its ransom and save some lives...
>
> Nah just kidding. Keep killing people for profit!

That was damn funny!

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: December 04, 2012 08:29PM

admitit Wrote:
> Admit it - this venture is a dangerous failure.
> Take up the dividers. Trash the toll collecting
> pay Transurban its ransom and save some lives...
>
> Nah just kidding. Keep killing people for profit!

Between these lanes and metro, every day you make it to work alive, it's a victory.

Posted by: How Did This Happen? ()
Date: December 04, 2012 08:29PM

What are the politics behind this? Who wanted this mess and why? Who designed it? And why the hell did they hire a Norwegian company?

I recognize that the bottom line is 'follow the money', but I'd like to be able to put some faces to this disaster.

Posted by: branch doodadian ()
Date: December 04, 2012 08:32PM

The Grease Wrote:
> "Snarls" -- is dat like a Snarlin' narlin'"?
> Hobba Doo GEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"This river dont go to Aintree."

Posted by: who's high pitch? ()
Date: December 04, 2012 09:16PM

I remember when tree's lined the beltway.

Posted by: Mario Andretti ()
Date: December 04, 2012 09:29PM

Accidents are good for HOT lane business. They don't seem to be getting much use otherwise.

Posted by: Express Lanes rule ()
Date: December 04, 2012 09:32PM

If you find markings for Express lanes confusing, you're too dumb to be driving. Ta a bus or stay home.

Posted by: anarchy ()
Date: December 04, 2012 09:44PM

Express Lanes rule Wrote:
> If you find markings for Express lanes confusing,
> you're too dumb to be driving. Ta a bus or stay
> home.

that's the problem, I have seen some drivers just plow into shit without braking, most of the people are indians and chinks.

Posted by: Death by HOT lanes ()
Date: December 04, 2012 10:01PM

I wonder how much money is made with this fatality?

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: December 04, 2012 10:03PM

Lexus (Luther) Lane Wrote:

> since they opened the 'Crash Lanes'

"Crash Lanes" - Now that's a name that could stick.

Posted by: NOVA Driver ()
Date: December 04, 2012 10:04PM

Having just driven the beltway from Alexandria to Falls Church the other day for the first time since they opened the express lanes I was shocked at how clearly marked things are. With all the reports of accidents I was thinking a nightmare. Now I realize it is stupid drivers and nothing more.

Posted by: stinky smell all over ()
Date: December 04, 2012 10:08PM

NOVA Driver Wrote:
> Having just driven the beltway from Alexandria to
> Falls Church the other day for the first time
> since they opened the express lanes I was shocked
> at how clearly marked things are. With all the
> reports of accidents I was thinking a nightmare.
> Now I realize it is stupid drivers and nothing
> more.

I smell cover up!

Posted by: Remember no-bid contracts ()
Date: December 04, 2012 10:21PM

How Did This Happen? Wrote:
> What are the politics behind this? Who wanted this
> mess and why? Who designed it? And why the hell
> did they hire a Norwegian company?
>
> I recognize that the bottom line is 'follow the
> money', but I'd like to be able to put some faces
> to this disaster.

First, Transurban is an Australian company, not Norwegian.

This was one of the great ideas of the neoconservatives. Remember when the brits made driving in downtown London cost 8 pounds a day? That was when Blair was in office, and Dick and George were in charge here.

Fluor, a company with the same people on its board and management as Halliburton teamed up with Transurban and submitted a no-bid contract that was immediately approved by Dick Cheney's cohort.

At about the same time, Bechtel formed a consortium and "won" the contract to build the underground silver line. Then they decided they would make a bigger profit if they just made a few minor changes to the design.

Privatization of public infrastructure is a big new idea. It always works out well. Look at the bechtel consortiums who privatized water in South America in the early 2000's. They had to walk away from that fiasco, so they turned to domestic privatization schemes, hand-in-hand with the Republican party (and democrats, too).

Date: December 04, 2012 10:38PM

"At 2:25 p.m. Tuesday (Dec. 4), Virginia State Police Trooper J.S. Radcliffe was called to the scene of a single-vehicle crash on the westbound I-495 ramp leading to the southbound I-95 HOV lanes. As a tractor-trailer came through the flyover ramp, it ran off the left side of the road and struck the Jersey wall. The open-top trailer overturned onto the cement wallwhich caused it to spill its load into the westbound I-495 lanes below.

The truck was loaded with municipal waste (miscellaneous construction and household materials, no hazmat). The debris was at least a foot deep across the westbound I-495 lanes.

The Virginia State Police Motor Carrier Safety Team responded to the scene and placed the truck out of service after citing multiple equipment violations.

The driver of the truck, Hector Y. Lopez-Navarro, 41, of Woodbridge, Va., was not injured in the crash. He has been charged with reckless driving.

At 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Virginia State Police Trooper L.A. Goode responded to the scene of a two-vehicle crash in the northbound lanes of I-495 at Braddock Road/Exit 54 in Fairfax County. A box truck traveling north on I-495 failed to stop in time for a work zone safety vehicle stopped in the right travel lane. The vehicle was part of an ongoing work zone. The box truck rear-ended the crash-cushion work zone vehicle, which caused the driver of the box truck to lose control. The box truck then ran off the road and struck the Jersey wall.

The driver of the box truck, Richard L. Edwards, 24, of Woodbridge, Va., was not wearing a seat belt. He was transported to Fairfax Inova Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The driver of the work zone safety vehicle did not suffer any injuries, but was transported to a nearby hospital as a precautionary measure.

The Virginia State Police Accident Reconstruction Team responded to the scene. The crash remains under investigation at this time."

http://potomaclocal.com/2012/12/04/woodbridge-man-killed-another-charged-after-beltway-crashes/

Posted by: put the whole system on trial ()
Date: December 04, 2012 10:39PM

People are DEAD. Nothing to do with a neocon conspiracy. Maybe we got the wrong company.

Posted by: wait till the snow ()
Date: December 04, 2012 10:44PM

Seriously, you think this is bad? these haveall occurred in good weather. this is just the opening act...

Posted by: L. Anderson ()
Date: December 05, 2012 06:46AM

NOVA Driver Wrote:
> Having just driven the beltway from Alexandria to
> Falls Church the other day for the first time
> since they opened the express lanes I was shocked
> at how clearly marked things are. With all the
> reports of accidents I was thinking a nightmare.
> Now I realize it is stupid drivers and nothing
> more.

When you have Asian drivers who cannot pull into their own driveways without hitting the mailbox what do think is going to continue to happen?

Posted by: bermuda triangle ()
Date: December 05, 2012 07:07AM

this will become the graveyard/Davey Jones' Locker of the beltway and Transurban is the Kraken. Not even Jack Sparrow can save us now - Fie Fie

Posted by: bill ()
Date: December 05, 2012 12:39PM

"a work zone safety vehicle stopped in the right travel lane. The vehicle was part of an ongoing work zone."

Coincidence? Last week, this same thing was going on at the curve on the inner loop where the HOT lanes begin and caused a semi to swerve into my lane, forcing me onto the HOT lanes. Lots of brake lights and sudden stopping on the main lanes which quickly cleared after the Braddock Rd. entrance. No harm and no toll as I made it to 66 with the windshield thingy in HOV mode.

Where else around here are these "work zone" trucks blocking active freeway lanes with no warning? Is something going on to "encourage" use of the HOT lanes?

Posted by: Marion Barry ()
Date: December 05, 2012 07:03PM

There are different types of work zones. Mobile or stationary, shoulder closures and lane closures. T
There are different types of signage needed for both.

Posted by: Bulk Hauler ()
Date: December 05, 2012 07:13PM

One thing to remember is this. Tim Kaine was the Gov and he signed off on the Express Lanes. Bob McDonnel was th A/G Look further down on the page and read the blog about 73 Years of Grid Lock. See the agreement our current Gov has greed to affecting the 95/395 corridor. It's the same agreement Tim agreed too. It's going to cost you and me as taxpayers because DOT will have to maintain a private road for a Australian company. They make the money, send it out of the US and the VA taxpayer foots the cost to keep it up. SAD!!!!!!

Posted by: Forest Gump ()
Date: December 05, 2012 07:27PM

Stupid is as stupid does Bubba.....

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.