HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 27
Re: Highschool Football 2013
Posted by: Cville Student ()
Date: November 17, 2013 09:22PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nickens Yzer came out, not sure of his status

Yes he did come out and was okay to return during the game. The coaches decided to keep him out just to be safe. So he'll also be playing next week.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hsfballfan ()
Date: November 17, 2013 09:27PM

So just to confirm both Taylor and Nickens Yzer ok to play next week according to your info? I hope you have it right!

If so, sorry SOCO it is not even going to be very close.

Date: November 17, 2013 09:27PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> That is great news about Turner. I am going to
> assume your "friend of the CVille program" status
> gives you insight into latest medical news too.
> SMILE

I'm very good friends with several of the players and I'm pretty much present during all conversations regarding the team. :)

Date: November 17, 2013 09:29PM

Awesome you are my new best friend (virtually of course!)

SMILE

Date: November 17, 2013 09:30PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> So just to confirm both Taylor and Nickens Yzer ok
> to play next week according to your info? I hope
> you have it right!
>
> If so, sorry SOCO it is not even going to be very
> close.

You can take it to the bank! lol

Date: November 17, 2013 09:31PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> Awesome you are my new best friend (virtually of
> course!)
>
> SMILE

lol!!

Date: November 17, 2013 09:32PM

So I open it back up to SOCO fans. Interested in hearing a reasoned argument why SOCO can win this game. Not putting your team down at all, you have had a nice season.....but really how can they come in given the relative strengths of the teams and expect an upset?

Posted by: justfunin ()
Date: November 17, 2013 09:36PM

Stop the presses, we do not even need to play the rest of the games.

Centreville is the greatest team to ever play. No one will come close to them.

Call the NFL....Maybe they can play in the Superbowl, because we all know in the Northern region, no team can touch them.

Ask Westfield, the regular season means everything. They were 20-0
No one ever plays well in the playoffs.
Teams will not make any adjustments for the playoffs.
All teams will play just like they did in the regular season
There is never any upsets in the playoffs

So we should give the crown to Centreville and everyone else go home.

This is just for fun, let the kids play

None of you are coaches or players on these teams and have no idea what these teams can and can not do.

Date: November 17, 2013 09:40PM

Thanks for your perspective. Not at all, I want all the teams to play well and am a Big Northern Region fan. I just think the CVille team deserves some serious respect because I have now heard many pundits say it is the best team out of the North since the 2007 Westfield team. For other teams to claim they will win I am just interested in hearing plausible theories of such. I and others have given our theories, give us yours for other teams....

Date: November 17, 2013 09:45PM

And by the way in addition to seeing CVille a lot I have made the effort to see multiple other contending teams on a number of occasions. Have a reasonable sense of strengths and weaknesses of all teams.

Posted by: TC ()
Date: November 17, 2013 09:46PM

I think that TC is just a classless program like most of the patriot district are

Posted by: Jaxk ()
Date: November 17, 2013 09:52PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> So I open it back up to SOCO fans. Interested in
> hearing a reasoned argument why SOCO can win this
> game. Not putting your team down at all, you have
> had a nice season.....but really how can they come
> in given the relative strengths of the teams and
> expect an upset?

I think it could be a "close" shoot out between the teams but cvilles defense is miles better than socos defense

Date: November 17, 2013 09:55PM

Jaxk - but that is why it will NOT be a shootout, because CVille defense is much better. SOCO cannot expect to score the types of points it usually does...I think they might get even 21 but what will stop CVille from getting 42 or more....?

Posted by: Wildcat Fan ()
Date: November 17, 2013 09:58PM

Centreville would have beaten last year's Westfield team by 3 touchdowns easy... It was a really weak year in the district, with the other competitors really young.

Two years ago Centreville was the team to beat that undefeated Westfield team, avenging an OT loss in the regular season and went to the state championship. I feel pretty confident saying Centreville this year would beat both those teams, but both of those teams were really strong.

Posted by: FYI.. ()
Date: November 17, 2013 10:02PM

Pretty sure that sc scored a td three times on a 4th down

Date: November 17, 2013 10:03PM

meaning....?

Posted by: football ()
Date: November 17, 2013 10:20PM

I have played against cville this year and trust me THEY ARE THE REAL DEAL

Posted by: WSHS? ()
Date: November 17, 2013 10:23PM

any input on the west springfield Spartans season how did they do and where are they going

Posted by: fan1 ()
Date: November 17, 2013 10:28PM

@ Cville Student is Tyler Love going to play? He's been out for a while now

Date: November 17, 2013 10:28PM

Saw West Springfield against Centreville which of course CVille won in easy fashion. The story with WS, Woodson, Herndon, etc is they tend to have a few good athletes but not nearly the same number of athletes or depth as the big programs. Do not see that changing anytime soon.

Posted by: saxon ()
Date: November 17, 2013 10:31PM

Langley has the Oline and balance to compete with centreville, thoughts? they are also fresh from playing in an easy distrct

Date: November 17, 2013 10:35PM

Might be ok that they are fresh and I do agree they have a great Oline but Centreville has a decided edge on high value athletes. Langley I think would actually do better against a Westfield or something like that. At home Centreville will be happy to grind against Langley but its athletes will also be good for a few scores so I see Centreville still winning by about three touchdowns against Langley, maybe 38-17. But again props to Langley, they have had a nice season and they are generally balanced. Again though CVille just has a very good team this year.

Date: November 17, 2013 10:43PM

fan1 Wrote:
> @ Cville Student is Tyler Love going to play?
> He's been out for a while now

Unfortunately he's done for the season. Out 3-4 more weeks. If he does come back it'll be just in time for state finals if we make it there.

Posted by: Coach ()
Date: November 17, 2013 10:44PM

"Interesting thought on Westfield. We will see if the change to more wildcat will make a different. No disrespect to the QB but we have not seen the same quality QB play from Westfield this year. If they can mitigate that of course they can be a challenger....heck they almost beat Braddock at Braddock during the regular season."

hsballfan,

Cannot agree with you more in regard to Westfield's QB, though I do believe he's had an injury to his throwing shoulder pretty much from the start of the season. Saw game film form their victory this past Friday night against Hayfield, definitely had more zip on the ball than what I had seen previously. It appeared Westfield finally decided to get the ball to Devon Burns, he had a great game, kids as talented as any skill player in the area, incredible speed. The ability for Westfield to successfully air the ball out will definitely keep opposing defenses from loading the box to try and stop their potent rushing attack.

As I stated in a previous post the Lake Braddock game should have ended 24-21, Westfield appeared to have intercepted Henderson with a little under two minutes to go. Refs ruled it an incompletion but film and photos I've seen show otherwise. The very next play is when Henderson threw the game winning TD. Heck, Westfield was driving late but their QB was picked at about Lake Braddock's 15 yard line with about twenty some seconds to go. If those two teams meet again they game could certainly go either way, home field will be a nice advantage to have in that one, Westfield's student section doesn't appear to travel very well. Have seen the folks on Gameday Magazine give them some grief for that...

Date: November 17, 2013 10:45PM

That is too bad, very good football player and wrestler (third in states as a Sophomore). Wish him a clean recovery for future sporting activities!

Date: November 17, 2013 10:51PM

Agreed, will not sleep on Westfield.

Interested that there are not many if any Braddock fans chiming in.

Let me throw something out there for bait (smile). Here is my real opinion on Henderson - great arm, great athlete but I think he is too enamored with his arm. The two games I saw him this year I saw a number of throws which seemed more like "look at me" rather than throws needed to win a ball game. Also saw the same last year. So although Braddock of course has been playing some good ball I have questions about their defense against really good competition and I am not totally sold on Henderson as a state championship QB (different than a thrower). Plus in a game against CVille they will put someone like Chad Wiggins the LB spying on him so he cannot expect to scramble nearly as much.

Where am I wrong Lake Braddock fans?

Date: November 17, 2013 11:11PM

"Coach,

Thanks for your insight and making the obvious argument about Centreville's defense being better than Lake Braddock. Another example is Chantilly scoring 31 on Lake Braddock and 42 on South County and being shut out by Centreville. I too have no affiliation with either of these teams and actually do hope we get some exciting games, but I am going to enjoy seeing some of these delusional Patriot District folks when they see Centreville on the opposite sideline for the first time.

As mentioned above, maybe I caught them at two bad games, and I know they played Braddock down to the wire, but I really do not think they have enough of a passing threat to knock off Lake Braddock and if they somehow did, I really do not think they can be competitive against Centreville despite the first game being played in a down pour throughout. I feel real confident in saying Centreville will play Lake Braddock in the state semi. That being said, assuming my predictions play out this Friday, I do think Langley would give Centreville one of their closest games on the year, and Westfield-Braddock would be a pretty close game too."

Steve k2,

I share in your thoughts as to what t will be like to see some of the Patriot district fans see what the boys for Centreville have. I've watched them on several occasions and they just don't have any glaring weaknesses.

In regard to Westfield, my personal opinion is they could be a sleeper. As I stated on a few earlier posts, the Lake Braddock game should have ended 24-21 Westfield. They intercepted Henderson with less than two minutes to go, refs ruled it an incompletion, game film and still photos show it was definitely a pick. Very next play Henderson threw the game winning TD. Westfield was driving late but their QB was intercepted around the 15 yard line with about 20 seconds to go.

The Centreville game Westfield had 2 OL's out and 6 defensive starters as well. If I'm not mistaken their QB was back in his first game from suffering a concussion, he was certainly anything but sharp. The downpour in that game really was a detriment to both teams, overall health appeared to be the underlying issue. Westfield certainly missed their 2 DT's and both MLB's that were on the sideline, they definitely would have helped slow Centreville's inside running game which is where most of their yards came from. The FB for Centreville finished with 100 yards or very close to it.

I think Westfeild-Centreville could definitely transpire but the Bulldogs would have to play error free ball to get there. Lake Braddock is definitely a well balanced team, will be tough for Westfield to beat. But of course this is all speculation because Robinson is going to be a very tough game for Westfield, Joe Wilson appears to be healthy which is not good news for any opposing defense!

Heck, anything can happen, it's the postseason, and the last two years have proven it's anybody's ball game. Like they say, everyone starts fresh, regular season doesn't mean anything, should be some exciting games to see!

Date: November 17, 2013 11:18PM

I try to keep it real on this site and provide analysis across the board with various teams. But of course also as a CVille fan I would be happy to see Westfield again. Beating them twice in a year would be an early Christmas present for any CVille fan!!

Posted by: rock n jock ()
Date: November 17, 2013 11:28PM

Braddock will lose to Yorktown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: November 17, 2013 11:39PM

Well I am not sure about that Rock but we will see.

HSFBALLFAN out for the night. Keep it classy San Diego....

Posted by: Aye ()
Date: November 18, 2013 09:04AM

S/o to sc and Yorktown on their great seasons

Time to get our priorities in order
Posted by: Darrin Lancaster, Fairfax ()
Date: November 18, 2013 09:21AM

Time to get our priorities in order
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20131115/OPINION/131119434/1065/time-to-get-our-priorities-in-order&template=fairfaxTimes

[On Nov. 3], I attended the performance day for the Fairfax County Youth league cheerleaders. I was excited to see my daughters and the rest of their team display their talents. It was evident that the young ladies from throughout Fairfax County worked hard; they deserved the undivided attention of the crowd in attendance.

As the afternoon progressed, I became extremely discouraged by the behavior that I witnessed from some of the adults in attendance. The public address announcer began to announce the scores of the NFL games that were in progress. In a moment of unfortunate timing, the crowd reacted to an announced score with a stream of “boos” as one of the cheerleading squads was taking the floor for their performance. The young cheerleaders did not hear what the PA announcer said, as they were focused on their team and their performance. However, those who were paying attention to the girls as they prepared for their performance could tell they definitely heard the “boos” as they entered the gym. After that team finished their performance I sought out the director of the youth league cheerleading commission. I explained what happened and what I had witnessed. I suggested she may want to stop the announcements of the NFL scores. I followed up by stating [that] the majority of the adults who were interested in the scores were most likely tracking the results on their phone or tablet devices. In full disclosure, the PA announcer did apologize for the unfortunate timing of the announcement. The regular updates on scores continued throughout the rest of the show.

This moment was a glaring example of how self-absorbed and distracted adults have become. This day should have been spent focusing on and praising these young girls who have spent long hours practicing their detailed and difficult routines. Instead, a few of these girls were left wondering why they received a chorus of “boos,” rather than cheers for their efforts. It disturbed me to know that the family and friends who showed up to the event had more interest in the results of a contest which had no direct impact on their life and family. I mentioned earlier that the PA announcer apologized for the misunderstanding. He prefaced his apology by saying the doors were opened by the event staff too early and the girls entered the gym too early and should not have entered during his score update. I was shocked that in effect the girls were blamed for interrupting the football update. Our kids need to be given more of our attention on a daily basis. That day was the equivalent to a championship game for many of those girls, I feel terrible that a large number of them weren’t given the attention and support that they deserved.

Darrin Lancaster, Fairfax

Re: Time to get our priorities in order
Posted by: What?? ()
Date: November 18, 2013 09:24AM

Darrin Lancaster, Fairfax Wrote:
> Time to get our priorities in order
> http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20131115/OPINI
> ON/131119434/1065/time-to-get-our-priorities-in-or
> der&template=fairfaxTimes
>
> [On Nov. 3], I attended the performance day for
> the Fairfax County Youth league cheerleaders. I
> was excited to see my daughters and the rest of
> their team display their talents. It was evident
> that the young ladies from throughout Fairfax
> County worked hard; they deserved the undivided
> attention of the crowd in attendance.
>
> As the afternoon progressed, I became extremely
> discouraged by the behavior that I witnessed from
> some of the adults in attendance. The public
> address announcer began to announce the scores of
> the NFL games that were in progress. In a moment
> of unfortunate timing, the crowd reacted to an
> announced score with a stream of “boos” as one
> of the cheerleading squads was taking the floor
> for their performance. The young cheerleaders did
> not hear what the PA announcer said, as they were
> focused on their team and their performance.
> However, those who were paying attention to the
> girls as they prepared for their performance could
> tell they definitely heard the “boos” as they
> entered the gym. After that team finished their
> performance I sought out the director of the youth
> league cheerleading commission. I explained what
> happened and what I had witnessed. I suggested she
> may want to stop the announcements of the NFL
> scores. I followed up by stating [that] the
> majority of the adults who were interested in the
> scores were most likely tracking the results on
> their phone or tablet devices. In full disclosure,
> the PA announcer did apologize for the unfortunate
> timing of the announcement. The regular updates on
> scores continued throughout the rest of the show.
>
> This moment was a glaring example of how
> self-absorbed and distracted adults have become.
> This day should have been spent focusing on and
> praising these young girls who have spent long
> hours practicing their detailed and difficult
> routines. Instead, a few of these girls were left
> wondering why they received a chorus of
> “boos,” rather than cheers for their efforts.
> It disturbed me to know that the family and
> friends who showed up to the event had more
> interest in the results of a contest which had no
> direct impact on their life and family. I
> mentioned earlier that the PA announcer apologized
> for the misunderstanding. He prefaced his apology
> by saying the doors were opened by the event staff
> too early and the girls entered the gym too early
> and should not have entered during his score
> update. I was shocked that in effect the girls
> were blamed for interrupting the football update.
> Our kids need to be given more of our attention on
> a daily basis. That day was the equivalent to a
> championship game for many of those girls, I feel
> terrible that a large number of them weren’t
> given the attention and support that they
> deserved.
>
> Darrin Lancaster, Fairfax
Does this have anything to do with high school football though?

Posted by: Darrin Lancaster, Fairfax ()
Date: November 18, 2013 09:53AM

"Does this have anything to do with high school football though?"

Of course it does. Everyone knows that more people go to games for band and cheerleaders, don't they?

Posted by: Special teams ()
Date: November 18, 2013 10:07AM

Who do you guys think has the better special teams: Soco or centreville?

Date: November 18, 2013 10:47AM

Centreville. Kicking and punting is a wash but on punt and kickoff runbacks CVille is phenomenal.

Special teams though will not win or lose this game. SOCO's lack of defense and Cville's superior defense WILL win and lose this game.

Date: November 18, 2013 10:54AM

Remember SOCO fans that Lake Braddock beat SOCO 45-21 and I am predicting Centreville would beat Lake Braddock by a score of around 35-24 in the state semis if they meet up (which everyone expects they will). So do the math. Now do I think that Centreville will beat SOCO by 35 or more points? No, this is the playoffs but I do think that Centreville will win by a wide margin going away. I am happy to learn or reasons why not but it is all based on relative strengths and weaknesses. Both have a strong offense, but CVille defense just in another class altogether. Plus it is at CVille, plus CVille has a more diversified offensive attack, plus better coaching staff, etc. etc.

Date: November 18, 2013 11:06AM

"Centreville. Kicking and punting is a wash but on punt and kickoff runbacks CVille is phenomenal.

Special teams though will not win or lose this game. SOCO's lack of defense and Cville's superior defense WILL win and lose this game."

hsballfan,

Saw the kicker for Centreville when he was an eighth grader playing CYA football. He was kicking 45 yard field goals at that time, not sure who SOCO's kicker is but definitely an edge to Centreville.

However, guess it's a moot point because it's not going to come down to a last second field goal to determine the outcome. Centreville will have no problem scoring on SOCO's defense and SOCO'S offense will be limited when facing a defense superior to any it’s seen this year.

Posted by: ?? ()
Date: November 18, 2013 11:11AM

are you guys saying this game should not even be played?

Posted by: RootBoy ()
Date: November 18, 2013 12:19PM

?? Wrote:
> are you guys saying this game should not even be
> played?

Yeah, SC should just give up and forfeit the game now. CV already has it won. In the bag. Game over. In fact all the other 6A teams should just give up now, and we just declare CV the state champions and be done with it. I'm convinced by all the experts on this thread. LMAO!

Posted by: The Kicker ()
Date: November 18, 2013 12:44PM

The point of this is to analyze the games and predict what will happen. On paper, Centreville looks like the far superior team. But it doesn't always play out that way. See: Oakton in 2012. That's why you play the games. I'm predicting Centreville to win the 6A North, but no, we're not just giving them the trophy yet. You have to play it out.

Date: November 18, 2013 12:53PM

?? Wrote:
> are you guys saying this game should not even be
> played?

Yeah, SC should just give up and forfeit the game now. CV already has it won. In the bag. Game over. In fact all the other 6A teams should just give up now, and we just declare CV the state champions and be done with it. I'm convinced by all the experts on this thread. LMAO!

I'm not saying at all that we should crown Centreville as the champion, of course not. Anything can and will happen in the postseason, it never fails, just look at Westfield the past 2 years. I think it's just the opinion of a couple on here that it will be very surprising if Centreville doesn't win the 6A North let alone get to the title game. They are every bit as good as advertised, not once this season have they shown any weaknesses or tendencies. They certainly have opposing coaches racking their brains to come up with a game plan other than executing to near perfection in order to defeat them. Trust me, nothing would please me more than to see Centreville lose, I'm not a fan. However, I've watched a ton of football games this year either in person or on film, have not seen any 6A North team that comes close.

Posted by: Cpt. Morgan ()
Date: November 18, 2013 01:08PM

Well I have an interesting question to ask, if we put the 2007 Westfield team up against this year's Centreville team, who do you think would win??

Date: November 18, 2013 01:47PM

Folks I agree with "Coach" in all of this except I am a fan of CVille (smile). BUt also I have seen tons of games and film. Of course SOCO or Langley or Westfield or SJackson or Lake Braddock can beat Centreville. Any given Sunday (Friday) right. But I just do not think the odds are very great. What some of us are trying to do on this site is provide deeper analysis. Sure I can come in and say any team is going to beat another team because I am emotionally involved etc. But what do the reality of the matchups and game/film study say.

SOCO just does not match up well with CVille. Its offense will not score nearly as much as it has against other teams and its defense will not stop Cville's offense at all if they are giving up an average of 25 points a game to other lesser foes. Also people say that the big strength of Langley is their Oline. Of course it is strong but one of Cville's big strengths is its Dline. Neutralized. Other factors point decidedly in Cville's direction. Of course Henderson at Braddock has a great arm but they will not be able to run nearly as much as they have against other teams (CVille has stopped other teams like 70 times in the backfield and that is in addition to sacks) plus Braddock's defense is good but not great like Cville's.

Again I put it out there - if fans of these other teams can provide reasoned analysis based on matchups I am happy to hear and discuss. All I hear though is "we are going to beat you" and "this is our year" and other platitudes that show no real understanding of football x's and o's.

Just to show you that I am not simply a homer I will admit that the game with Braddock is going to be somewhat close - has the possibility of being a great game. I do stick by my estimation though that CVille would win something like 35-24.

Plus where CVille is going to have a huge challenge would be in states against someone like Oscar Smith, Ocean Lakes or Western Branch. Equally athletic and scary teams. Will be a tossup I would even admit CVille probably should be a small underdog to a team like Oscar Smith.

Open to thoughts from other posters....why am I wrong in all of this?

Date: November 18, 2013 01:51PM

Good question about the 2007 Westfield team....interestingly enough I have not seen enough film on them to make a judgment. Of course they had Glennon who now plays for Tampa Bay in the NFL but I will not make a judgement based on sparse info. I do know though that people in the 757 still talk about that Westfield team with awe. As a Centreville fan I am not one to talk too nicely about Westfield (smile) but as a football fan give that team its due too.

Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: November 18, 2013 01:54PM

Westfield forces the critical turnovers, goes to state title.

Date: November 18, 2013 01:58PM

Explain that statement please about Westfield and the state title, it is like me saying I have the greenest grass in my front yard, I should win the international yard competition. On what basis are you making this claim?

Again folks let us up the level of analysis on this site otherwise we should simply call it "Who can yell the loudest about their team?"

Posted by: concordelong time ()
Date: November 18, 2013 02:28PM

Actually Westfield 2007 and Oakton 2008 would have been a great matchup.

Recall Oakton went into the state semis undefeated in 2008 only to lose to Oscar Smith, riding a long undefeated streak, 10-7 after Oakton's starting QB, Chris Coyer, literally broke his neck on a cheap shot by Oscar Smith in the first quarter. Oscar SMith won its next game (the championship going away). That Oakton team was loaded, with several FBS players including all-ACC player, Jack Tyler (Tech), Coyer (Temple), Trey Watts (Tulsa), and Nick Koutris (UVA). They beat Bryn Renner (WS) in the playoffs, and blitzed Chantilly 52-14 in the Northern Region final.

This raises another point not yet discussed on this thread. The Northern Region teams generally play a hard (but clean) brand of football. With a few exceptions, the coaches and players all respect one another. It's different elsewhere in the state. The state-caliber teams from outside the region do all sorts of things (chop blocks, blocks below the waist, punches in the pile, late hits, head shots, and plain racial epithet name calling) that the NOVA teams had better prepared for. Those teams are not as well coached as the Northern VA teams, although they are more athletic. If the Wildcats make it, they had better be prepared for such things. A hit to AJ Turner's knees or to Charles Tutt's head can change things instantly.

Date: November 18, 2013 02:30PM

Informative post about Wfield 2007 and Oakton 2008 - thanks for the info concorde longtime

Date: November 18, 2013 02:34PM

hsballfan

Have you seen today's Washington Post? Lake Braddock lost 2 lineman to season ending injury this past Friday night. I believe one was a defensive lineman the other might have played both ways.

Caleb Henderson is nursing an ankle sprain from the SOCO game and their main RB, O'Brien has an MCL sprain. O'Brien did not play this past Friday night and is listed day to day for this week.

It will be interesting to see if the loss of 2 starting DL will affect Lake Braddock's ability to slow Yorktown's M.J. Stewart. Stewart did not play this past Friday so he should be fresh and is definitely a threat.

Are you ready to change you 6A North title prediction yet in regard to who will play Centreville?

Date: November 18, 2013 02:34PM

And of course if it does happen that some other team besides CVille goes to states I will be the first in line to root for the Northern Region rep over any team from the 757!

Posted by: concorde longtime ()
Date: November 18, 2013 02:35PM

Sure thing, hsball fan, just a little reminder that Northern Virginia is not like the rest of the state. . . .

Date: November 18, 2013 02:40PM

Interesting Coach - no I did not see that in the Wash Post. Sorry to hear about any injuries quite frankly as I want to see the best out of each team. This could change equation though of course. I was at the Braddock SOCO game when Henderson first tweaked his ankle. Braddock was already up quite a bit and was surprised the coach left him in game, if for no other reason then why really injure it and ruin his ride to UNC for the sake of a regular season game.

Also I had not heard if Stewart was going to be able to play this week or not. He is a big difference maker of course - if people do not know about him take a look at some tape on Gameday Network, etc. With those injuries Braddock will have two tough games against Ytown and then likely Westfield (although Wfield is not a given over Robinson if Joe WIlson of the Rams runs wild). I still think Braddock has enough to get by those two teams but injuries do make it tougher.

Thanks for clueing me into the latest info.

Posted by: concorde longtime ()
Date: November 18, 2013 02:47PM

Just read the WaPo article. How does one suffer a "fractured kidney"? He must mean lacerated. Sounds gruesome.

Date: November 18, 2013 02:49PM

Gruesome indeed....

Date: November 18, 2013 03:03PM

hsballfan,

In terms of injuries I was wondering if you had any insight on the condition of some of the banged up Wildcat’s? I know that Tyler Love appears to be lost for the season, too bad, he's an incredible LB. Didn't see the game this past Friday but saw the Centreville-Robinson game, no disrespect but the kid that's taking Love's place in the lineup looked like a deer in the headlights. That’s definitely a blow to the middle of their D, Love compliments Wiggins so well that there has to be a slight drop off in the middle. Your thoughts.

In addition to Nickens-Yzer and Turner's injuries I thought I had heard Tutt and the RB, Boose, were also banged up as well. Have you heard anything about the afore mentioned player's health.

I know Joe Wilson from Robinson seems to be his old self, had been nursing an injury for pretty much the latter half of the season. I think his first game back was the Westfield game and he didn't have many carries, you could see on the film he didn't appear to be 100%. Other than Wilson coming into the playoffs I believe the rest of the Robinson team is in good health.

In regards to Westfield, they have battled injuries for a good portion of the last 6 games. I've heard everyone is pretty much back and playing with the exception of one of their MLB's, McNulty. Coming into the season he appeared to be one of the teams leaders, got hurt against Centreville. Coaching staff has moved some players around and inserted a sophomore at that spot who seems to be a solid ballplayer.

Just thought I would shed some light on the injury topic, had seen it mentioned in an earlier post. All teams go through it, but it's so critical once the season gets to this point. It's one thing to have a back up play in the regular season, but the pressure becomes so intense in the playoffs that for some kids it's just difficult to handle.

Anyone else hear anything about any of the remaining 6A North teams in regard to any key injuries?

Posted by: not really ()
Date: November 18, 2013 03:17PM

concordelong time Wrote:
If the Wildcats make it, they had
> better be prepared for such things. A hit to AJ
> Turner's knees or to Charles Tutt's head can
> change things instantly.

It's possible however the Wildcats are very deep with talent. If anything were to happen to them the next man will step in and do just fine. That's what makes them so good.

Date: November 18, 2013 03:23PM

I do not have any inside tips as to Cville's health. I do know that Love is out until at best the state finals but at that point does it make sense to bring him back? I agree though about his loss as I am sincerely bummed that he is out as you are exactly right - he anchored the middle so well that you could just let Wiggins play "free agent" and roam wherever (see my earlier posts about him being a great spy on Henderson). Do not know about the others but the poster on this site - CVille Student - seemed to suggest last night that rumors were overwrought about injuries to Cville's star players. Hope that poster is correct (smile) - that poster seemed to be on the up and up.

But here is the deal to all readers - injuries suck but they are part of the game of football. You need a team that can withstand that and play 2 or 3 deep at every position. Is CVille perfect in that respect, of course not! But I do believe that they are deeper than the other Northern teams. You will not hear me lamenting the "what if" game if CVille does not make it all the way to a state championship win. Have to just go with what you have.

THis week though, say Turner is still feeling the effects of his neck injury. I would hate to see it but still think CVille would win against SOCO even if he needs to sit a week or two. As they get further along though that becomes a bigger issue.

Best of health to players on all of the teams, let the quality of the team decide the win not some aberration.

I do not have any inside tips as to Cville's health. I do know that Love is out until at best the state finals but at that point does it make sense to bring him back? I agree though about his loss as I am sincerely bummed that he is out as you are exactly right - he anchored the middle so well that you could just let Wiggins play "free agent" and roam wherever (see my earlier posts about him being a great spy on Henderson). Do not know about the others but the poster on this site - CVille Student - seemed to suggest last night that rumors were overwrought about injuries to Cville's star players. Hope that poster is correct (smile) - that poster seemed to be on the up and up.

But here is the deal to all readers - injuries suck but they are part of the game of football. You need a team that can withstand that and play 2 or 3 deep at every position. Is CVille perfect in that respect, of course not! But I do believe that they are deeper than the other Northern teams. You will not hear me lamenting the "what if" game if CVille does not make it all the way to a state championship win. Have to just go with what you have.

THis week though, say Turner is still feeling the effects of his neck injury. I would hate to see it but still think CVille would win against SOCO even if he needs to sit a week or two. As they get further along though that becomes a bigger issue.

Best of health to players on all of the teams, let the quality of the team decide the win not some aberration.

Date: November 18, 2013 03:25PM

Sorry fellow posters, my posting went a little haywire there (smile)

Posted by: not really ()
Date: November 18, 2013 03:26PM

Actually, if the wildcats were to lose Wiggins and Walters, things can change instantly since I don't see any backup being able to fill their shoes.

Posted by: The line ()
Date: November 18, 2013 03:29PM

You guys are not giving Socos Oline any credit with it having besides centerville the best running game in the northern region. #74 is a monster and a D1 athlete

Date: November 18, 2013 03:31PM

Perhaps but fortunately the backups have gotten a lot of time in games this year. For QB, I think Joe Ferrick the backup and likely starter next year has come around well. In this last game he led some nice drives, had some nice zip on his ball, etc. Certainly would make it tougher though I agree.

Date: November 18, 2013 03:34PM

I give SOCO's line and the whole team a lot of credit. They are a good 9-2 team with strong qualities. But again it is matchups. They have not faced a defense like CVille's this year. Like the posts about Langley's Oline, such an advantage while great against other teams in neutralized given quality of CVille defense. No one is saying SOCO or Langley or.... is a bad team, just saying based on my analysis not good enough to beat CVille.

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: November 18, 2013 04:15PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> Folks I agree with "Coach" in all of this except I
> am a fan of CVille (smile). BUt also I have seen
> tons of games and film. Of course SOCO or Langley
> or Westfield or SJackson or Lake Braddock can beat
> Centreville. Any given Sunday (Friday) right.
> But I just do not think the odds are very great.
> What some of us are trying to do on this site is
> provide deeper analysis. Sure I can come in and
> say any team is going to beat another team because
> I am emotionally involved etc. But what do the
> reality of the matchups and game/film study say.

What do you think Westfield's chances would be vs C'ville if they were able to get decent production out of their QB? Devon Burns is IMO one of the most talented WR's in NOVA but he's been silent all year in the passing game for obvious reasons. I'd say every game I've seen him play he's been the fastest guy on the field.

If you look at the starting QB's in the old Concorde District Westfield got by far the least out of the QB position. At the end of the season Westfield was experimenting with Burns at QB on a few plays - haven't seen him throw - but he was pretty effective running from the QB spot.

Date: November 18, 2013 04:23PM

There is not doubt Westfield has some real nice skill players in Burns, Thrasher Walker, etc. And I agree that Westfield still might make some noise this year. Here is the thing though about Westfield...even if they get good QB play out of Scoville or through some wildcat style approach with Burns or whomever, Braddock and CVille have equal skill talent as well (Braddock - Henderson, Alexander, etc. CVille - Turner, Tutt, Heiner, etc.). What seems to me different about Westfield this year is relative underproduction and quality on the lines and defense (as well as depth in real quality). Again as a CVille fan what has killed me when CVille has lost to Westfield was the depth and quality in the trenches. Centreville wore Westfield down this year with outside stuff but also a heavy dose of Taylor Boose up the middle. By the way with all the talk of Turner and Tutt (great great players) not enough is said about Boose - rare combo on bulk and speed at fullback. Remember the fullback at Oakton last year (name not coming to me, Bundy??), same deal.

So Westfield has a lot of pieces not simply as many pieces as previous years....

Date: November 18, 2013 04:27PM

Sorry the name of the player was Mike Wandey of Oakton last year....

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: November 18, 2013 04:35PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> So Westfield has a lot of pieces not simply as
> many pieces as previous years....

I agree. They'll have to play a lot better vs. Robinson than they did last Friday against Hayfield if they expect to win. I would not be at all surprised to see Robinson win this game.

Posted by: All district? ()
Date: November 18, 2013 04:35PM

Has all district players been named yet?

Date: November 18, 2013 04:38PM

To earlier posts about Lake Braddock injuries I finally saw the Wash Post piece and see now that one of them (the one with the kidney injury) is Dwight Lomax. Wow that is a big loss as he anchored that DLine. Best wishes in recovery to that young man, again never want to see injuries to the players like that, especially kidney injuries (ouch).

Date: November 18, 2013 04:42PM

On the all district teams I understand they were named about a week ago and word is getting out via tweets and if you listen to some of the Gameday broadcasts the announcers would mention a name here and there (Wigging from CVille, etc.). However I have not seen any full published account.

Anyone out there know, please do tell.

Posted by: stallion #1 ()
Date: November 18, 2013 04:49PM

SOCO SOCO SOCO GO.....

Date: November 18, 2013 04:50PM

here we go again.... :(

Posted by: Football fever ()
Date: November 18, 2013 04:55PM

stallion #1 Wrote:
> SOCO SOCO SOCO GO.....

Sad if this reflects the student body there.

Date: November 18, 2013 04:57PM

Even worse if this is a SOCO parent....

Date: November 18, 2013 05:24PM

"There is not doubt Westfield has some real nice skill players in Burns, Thrasher Walker, etc. And I agree that Westfield still might make some noise this year. Here is the thing though about Westfield...even if they get good QB play out of Scoville or through some wildcat style approach with Burns or whomever, Braddock and CVille have equal skill talent as well (Braddock - Henderson, Alexander, etc. CVille - Turner, Tutt, Heiner, etc.). What seems to me different about Westfield this year is relative underproduction and quality on the lines and defense (as well as depth in real quality). Again as a CVille fan what has killed me when CVille has lost to Westfield was the depth and quality in the trenches. Centreville wore Westfield down this year with outside stuff but also a heavy dose of Taylor Boose up the middle. By the way with all the talk of Turner and Tutt (great great players) not enough is said about Boose - rare combo on bulk and speed at fullback. Remember the fullback at Oakton last year (name not coming to me, Bundy??), same deal.

So Westfield has a lot of pieces not simply as many pieces as previous years...."

hsballfan,

I agree with you to some extent when it comes to Westfield, however, I wouldn't sleep on their defense. As stated in previous posts they were gutted by Centreville but 2 DT's, 1 DE, and 2 MLB's out in that game, all starters.

They were pretty impressive against Lake Braddock, also refer to previous posts with regard to INT late that would have sealed the game for the Bulldogs.

Horrible call by refs, but that's not anything new, level of officiating this year has been atrocious. I've got a few good friends who have been high school refs for close to twenty some years and we've shared a few cold ones this year and agreed the zebras have not been very good. But that's another discussion for after the playoffs, will help fill in the void till next season, huge smile on that one.

Scoville certainly has been no Mullins, last year’s QB for Westfield, part due to an issue with his throwing shoulder all season but also just less talent. From what I've heard Scoville's shoulder is much better, have been throwing it a bit more to keep opponents from putting 8-9 guys in the box on D. Thrasher-Walker is an amazing blend of size, speed, and strength but there's only so much he can do against stacked fronts.

I think the Centreville game was a perfect example of what happens when you become one dimensional. Wiggins blitzed on the majority of snaps thus preventing Thrasher-Walker from ever getting past the line without being harassed. When he did Love was there to say hello! I believe after that game the coaching staff for Westfield realized you can't win just running the ball.

I think the big difference between Centreville and Westfield or any other school for that matter is Centreville's depth. Sure, Westfield puts close to 100 kids on the sidelines come Friday night but realistically only about 35-40 of them actually have any playing time this year.

Date: November 18, 2013 05:35PM

You da man Coach - we do not agree on everything but I think your level of analysis is strong. Thanks for the continuing contributions.

By the way going back to the Braddock injuries, especially Lomax. If I am the Lake Braddock coach right now I am sh---ing bricks because again his offense is great but the defense was just good. Now it has become good (minus). Will be a big deal against Ytown, Westfield/Robinson, and Centreville depending on how far they go. Will be interesting to see how they scheme the defense with those losses...

Posted by: MPaulsen ()
Date: November 18, 2013 05:39PM

How is Centreville's run defense? If(aka when) they get past SoCo this week, I'd be interested in their quite possible matchup with Langley next week. Langley probably has the best running game in NoVa, RB has 1972 yds, QB has 831, and they both have combined for an eye-popping 40 TDs on the ground. Has C-Ville even played a team that runs the option(good) this year?

Date: November 18, 2013 05:39PM

Last post for the day, Centreville's defense has given up 7.9 points per game, Westfield is 11.5, and Lake Braddock 12.5 through last week. Centreville and Lake Braddock had their lowest point total scored in their games against Westfield.

Just trying to relate this point to an earlier post about defense winning championships. Not saying Westfield will win the North. Just trying to validate any point to the discussion that Westfield could be the representative from their side of the brackett to face Centreville in the 6A North championship.

Please also understand my opinions are just based off what I've seen this year. I am not a fan of any one team, just of the sport itself which is why it's what I do.

Date: November 18, 2013 05:45PM

Coach have a good night. Sure though you are not Westfield fan (could not resist)?

To the other poster CVille has best run defense in the north will neutralize Langley.

Date: November 18, 2013 05:49PM

also Langley better not sleep on Stroman of SJackson - big difference maker like Turner of CVille, MJ from Yorktown, etc

Date: November 18, 2013 05:51PM

and by the way Centreville has best rushing attack in north maybe even state with 6-7 runners that can hurt a team. If AJ Turner was on another team he would have had 2500 yards but they have so many options

Date: November 18, 2013 05:58PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> Even worse if this is a SOCO parent....

Ok, don't criticize the guy for having some enthusiasm for their team. Even though you've already decided the outcome, others may disagree and still believe in their own team. Or maybe they're just messing with you a little. You can agree to disagree on who you think will win. We know for you it's all about Centreville, but for others, maybe not. Centreville has certainly shown they are a great team this year, and a team to beat, but let's let them play the games first before we declare the winner. One game at a time.

Date: November 18, 2013 06:02PM

of course it is all good just trying to get the "hit and run" posters to say a bit more about why their team might win....otherwise the site is about grade school posting.

Posted by: Dead on ()
Date: November 18, 2013 06:08PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> and by the way Centreville has best rushing attack
> in north maybe even state with 6-7 runners that
> can hurt a team. If AJ Turner was on another team
> he would have had 2500 yards but they have so many
> options

This is what makes them so good. Pick your poison so to speak...

Posted by: Dead on ()
Date: November 18, 2013 06:09PM

...And it's not fair. :(

Posted by: Dean on ()
Date: November 18, 2013 06:11PM

I wish my school had so many weapons. Maybe next year Oakton. :)

Date: November 18, 2013 06:17PM

Hang in at Oakton as history shows it is hard to keep any Concorde team down for long, Oakton will be back

Date: November 18, 2013 06:21PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> of course it is all good just trying to get the
> "hit and run" posters to say a bit more about why
> their team might win....otherwise the site is
> about grade school posting.

South County will need to put together a big game on Friday to beat Centreville. Can they do it? Maybe improbable based on the stats, but nothing is impossible. Offensively, they have shown they can score points against good teams, like Lake Braddock, especially in the 1st half. They moved the ball right down the field several times against a good LB defense, and on a couple occasions stopped themselves with turnovers and penalties that stalled drives. If not for that it's a different game going into halftime. Who knows if the outcome would have been different. Maybe not. But who did what in the past and the "coulda/woulda/shoulda" doesn't matter now. LB did seem to make some adjustments after halftime and slowed down the SC offense a little. Bottom line is they did what they needed to do to win. The bigger key, as has been pointed out, is the SC defense, which has struggled to stop the better offenses they have faced this season. They will need to come together big time, step up and execute. Can they do it? We will see. But they certainly won't if they go into the game believing what has been said by some on this thread. They, like any team, have to go into the game thinking that they CAN and WILL win. Stranger things have happened.

Date: November 18, 2013 06:38PM

BTW- The player who fills in at Cville for Love is #80, Christian Brooks. They moved some people around, so he starts at RE. Physically, he is a beast. 6'6", probably pushing 210, but he is a Sophomore. The issue for him is experience. Expect him to get better as the playoffs go on, and later in his career he will be a difference maker. I think he'll also start on their basketball team this year...

Date: November 18, 2013 06:44PM

I hope South County comes ready to give CVille a great game. I think there are a few things that could stop CVille - a rash of injuries and complacency. I would like them to be really tested before Braddock and the 757. Although they dispatched of South Lakes last week easily 35-0 I will be the first to admit it was a lackluster effort relatively speaking for CVille and probably a good wake up call (hope the coaching staff is reminding them every day this week it gets hard starting now....)

Posted by: Wilbert Tucker W. ()
Date: November 18, 2013 06:55PM

Why don't they play the Div 6 North championship game at WTW?? Seems a no brainer to me. The stadium seats at least three times as many fans (8-10k) as either C'ville or LB. And, the school is located almost smack dab between C'ville and LB. I don't want to hear about how C'ville "earned home field advantage" via power points. The PPs don't earn home field advantage in the state final game; no reason they should in the semis. Playing at WTW would make the game much more a regional event for thousands of more HS football fans...and bring in lots more $$$ at the gate.

Posted by: Fan ()
Date: November 18, 2013 06:58PM

"BTW- The player who fills in at Cville for Love is #80, Christian Brooks. They moved some people around, so he starts at RE. Physically, he is a beast. 6'6", probably pushing 210, but he is a Sophomore. The issue for him is experience. Expect him to get better as the playoffs go on, and later in his career he will be a difference maker. I think he'll also start on their basketball team this year..."

Kicker,

I thought Love plays LB not DE, #52 Horner is the kid filling in for him. The Gameday host who's son plays on Centreville's team even mentioned his name on last week's broadcast.

Date: November 18, 2013 07:01PM

I don't make the rules. But CVille stadium actually can hold about 8,000 probably upward of 10K if they allow standing room only.

But word to the wise, if CVille and Braddock do play, get there early to get tickets - will indeed be a well attended game.

Date: November 18, 2013 07:02PM

Agreed, Horner is filling in for Love directly at LB

Date: November 18, 2013 07:06PM

Hsfballfan

Both do play. I thought Brooks started last week and they shuffled some people to different positions, but I must have missed Horner. He's also gonna be good. Either way, Love is hard to replace, though so far it doesn't look like they're missing him way too much.

Date: November 18, 2013 07:08PM

That is right, they are not missing him too much although fun to think if Love can come back because he is we have talked about previously he is a great anchor in the middle of the D which allows Wiggins to free lance all over the place.

Posted by: nat4lee ()
Date: November 18, 2013 07:14PM

Wilbert Tucker W. Wrote:
> Why don't they play the Div 6 North championship
> game at WTW?? Seems a no brainer to me. The
> stadium seats at least three times as many fans
> (8-10k) as either C'ville or LB. And, the school
> is located almost smack dab between C'ville and
> LB. I don't want to hear about how C'ville
> "earned home field advantage" via power points.
> The PPs don't earn home field advantage in the
> state final game; no reason they should in the
> semis. Playing at WTW would make the game much
> more a regional event for thousands of more HS
> football fans...and bring in lots more $$$ at the
> gate.

I love the idea, Unfortunately as part of the new realignment agreement, the state governing body now 'owns' the state finals and the regional finals (now called the state semifinals) and now gets more money that is not going back to the schools hosting the games.

I for one would love to see a NOVA neutral-site final every year in the 6A North, but unfortunately you now have teams in the 5A North from Charlottesville, Orange, Fredericksburg, Loudoun and even one in South Boston?!?! WOW! With such a far-flung playoff possibility, I don't see it happening.

And now that I just thought about it, could you imagine an Arlington/Alexandria team having to travel four hours to South Boston to play Halifax County? I thought all these changes would save money...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2013 07:17PM by nat4lee.

Date: November 18, 2013 07:16PM

No one ever accused VHSL of intelligence or generosity....

Pages: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 27

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.