HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 27
Highschool Football 2013
Posted by: Peyton Manning's Forehead ()
Date: December 02, 2012 08:47AM

With the 2012 season coming to an end for the northern region teams (except SB) we need to look forward to 2013. what are we expecting? Who`s returning? what coaching changes are happening (Robinson!!!)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Highschool Football 2013
Posted by: DMVBALL ()
Date: December 02, 2012 10:26AM

predictions for the 2013 northern region

1. Centreville
2. Robinson (depending on new coach)
3. Lake Braddock
4. Westfield
5. West Pot
6. Chantilly
7. Oakton
8. Fairfax

Posted by: Oh no ()
Date: December 02, 2012 11:06AM

Are you kidding me? Already posts about the 2013 football season? Give it a rest. JFC.

Posted by: HornetPride ()
Date: December 02, 2012 11:34AM

Look for Herndon to sneak in the top 8! Brian Daye is an excellent coach and he'll have those boys ready!

Posted by: DMVBALL ()
Date: December 02, 2012 03:54PM

HornetPride Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Look for Herndon to sneak in the top 8! Brian Daye
> is an excellent coach and he'll have those boys
> ready!

hahahahah this is hilarious. i saw herndon play once this year and that was enough for me to tell that they wont be even decent for a veryyyyy long time. the honesly looked like a freshman team out there this past year

Posted by: NOVA 2k ()
Date: December 02, 2012 06:10PM

Didn't Brian Daye coach at WTW last season? Good coach.

Posted by: cvillebacker ()
Date: December 03, 2012 10:03AM

2013 will be the year of the Centreville Wildcats, write it down right now. They return most of the significant players from this year and will win the Region and State Championship. As time goes on and we get in to the season the individual players can be discussed.

Just remember where you heard it first, when this thread is on the 10th page look back here.

Posted by: Coaching Changes ()
Date: December 03, 2012 10:06AM

Day was not at WTW.

Now on to coaching status for next year.

Announced so far:

Trey Taylor - Robinson - Fired
Keith Powell - Wakefield - Stepped Down

May be in trouble?:

Kevin Simonds - Fairfax
Said Aziz - Falls Church
Barry Wells - Mount Vernon
Dennis Randolph - TC Williams

Posted by: NR Fan is an idiot ()
Date: December 03, 2012 05:31PM

I would add Parker from Edison to that list as well.

Obviously the guy above did not get the Daye joke.

Posted by: EasternVaFan ()
Date: December 03, 2012 06:27PM

Agree that C'vill improved after struggles with Herndon (14-0 W) and D5 teams Hayfield (OT) and Mt. Vernon. Getting to states from NR is tough plus after that you have to deal whatever beast lurks from other regions. In 2011, O.Smith beat a good C'ville team by 4 TDs. C'Ville's top player got hurt early but Smith's short passing game offset the rush anyway. This year, you had Roberton come here and run for 400+ yards vs. the NR champ. Next year, how do you see teams like w'field, Chantilly and LB doing?

cvillebacker Wrote:
> 2013 will be the year of the Centreville Wildcats,
> write it down right now. They return most of the
> significant players from this year and will win
> the Region and State Championship. As time goes
> on and we get in to the season the individual
> players can be discussed.
>
> Just remember where you heard it first, when this
> thread is on the 10th page look back here.

Posted by: VAball ()
Date: December 03, 2012 07:40PM

the top 3 in the northern region next year will be very strong (robinson,lake braddock, and centreville) without a doubt the state champion will be coming from the northern region next year.

Posted by: rondo ()
Date: December 05, 2012 07:34AM

People keep throwing Robinson at the top of the list, but I think people will be surprised just how long it takes Pete Bendorf to fix all the issues left behind.

Posted by: Announced? ()
Date: December 05, 2012 09:31AM

Has it been announced that Pete Bendorf is taking the job? Hard to believe they made a selection already.

Agree that whomever gets the job will take a couple of years to get Robinson back on track.

Posted by: Braden Quintyler ()
Date: December 05, 2012 01:02PM

In 2020, here is the prediction of finishers in the Northern Region:
1. Fairfax
2. Robinson (depending on new coach)
3. Quince Orchard, Gaithersburg, MD
4. Lake Braddock
5. West Pot
6. Centreville
7. Fairfax
8. Fairfax

A couple of key points. Fairfax county and Montgomery county are expected to redistrict and merge. The new region will be called the southern/northern region OR the northern/southern region, depending on which state you live in. Also, fairfax will grow exponentially and will field 3 varsity, 5 JV and 8 1/2 freshman teams. Their 3 varsity teams are listed above.

Posted by: rondo ()
Date: December 05, 2012 02:07PM

Oddly Fairfax' C team is my prediction for the Region.
Hell.. their JV B team could beat that A team!

Posted by: fake tyler braden ()
Date: December 05, 2012 02:19PM

Westfield used to be above smack talking with Fairfax...

Posted by: Felton ()
Date: December 06, 2012 06:55PM

That wasnt Brian Daye at WTW 2 yrs ago. That was Brian Howells. Good coach.

Posted by: rex ryan ()
Date: December 07, 2012 12:57AM

as much as i hate to say it i believe robinson is in fact the team to beat in the northern region next year with taylor being gone. i watched them play a couple times toward the end of the season and they started a very promising sophomore qb and with the return of joe wilson they will be very dangerous. heres the rest of my predictions

robinson
westfield
lake braddock
chantilly
centreville
oakton
fairfax
madison

Realignment 2013
Posted by: GridIron1 ()
Date: December 07, 2012 06:03PM

Anybody know how NR D6 playoffs will work next year? Realignment apparently creates 4 conferences, with Conference 5 being Concorde teams. Look like Battlefield, Stonewall J., Hayfield, Madison, and Yorktown are in NR-D6, too. Anybody know if that's true and how many teams will make playoffs? Is it the 4 conference champs plus the next four based on power points?

rex ryan Wrote:
> as much as i hate to say it i believe robinson is
> in fact the team to beat in the northern region
> next year with taylor being gone. i watched them
> play a couple times toward the end of the season
> and they started a very promising sophomore qb and
> with the return of joe wilson they will be very
> dangerous. heres the rest of my predictions
>
>
> robinson
> westfield
> lake braddock
> chantilly
> centreville
> oakton
> fairfax
> madison

Posted by: new kid on the block ()
Date: December 07, 2012 06:11PM

West Springfield is getting a new head coach and is going to have a solid team this fall, I predict them to be the sleeper.

Posted by: Really...talent ()
Date: December 07, 2012 08:25PM

Centreville is the team to beat. Yorktown is also a huge threat because of their one man team.

There is no more northern region. The top 16 teams in 6a north will make the playoffs. The winner will play the champ of 6a south for the state championship. No more district champ or region champ. The top 16 is still decided by power points. Basically all fcps schools except for Lee, Mt Vernon, Marshall, and falls church are now D6. The PWC schools that were in the nowrthwest d6 west of Hylton are now in d6 north too, the other d6 schools go to the south. A very bad plan.

Posted by: Doctor VHSL ()
Date: December 08, 2012 09:26AM

Not totally accurate, but close.

First, you are missing three FCPS teams that are now Class 5A North – TJ, Edison, and Stuart. Also moved to 5A North from the NR (but not FCPS) are Wakefield and Stone Bridge.

Second, there are still District Championships (at least for football) and they will be determined, as they are now – best record against district opponents.

Third the top 16 from class 6A North and South will play until there are two teams left – how they deal with the final 4 has not been approved yet – one option is to cross bracket so the best in 6A North plays the 2nd best in 6A South and vice versa – that would theoretically lead to the best two teams in the final – the other option is as you describe it – champion of North plays champion of South.

FYI the Non NR teams that are now in 6A North are: Battlefield, Stonewall Jackson, Osbourn, Osbourn Park and Patriot. Also there are significant changes to how power points are computed but the details are two complicated to go into here. If interested go to http://www.vhsl.org/classification.alignment-2013-15.

Date: December 08, 2012 02:31PM

There are no district champs because there are no districts. They are conferences with numbers attached. There is no more Concorde district, therefor no champ.

Posted by: Correction ()
Date: December 08, 2012 03:04PM

Really...talent Wrote:
> There are no district champs because there are no
> districts. They are conferences with numbers
> attached. There is no more Concorde district,
> therefor no champ.

I thought this as well, bu I was wrong. The districts will still remain from what administrators have told me but this new classification helps set up playoffs for regionals and beyond. I know it sounds wrong and is confusig but it is true.

Date: December 08, 2012 05:23PM

Really...talent Wrote:
> There are no district champs because there are no
> districts. They are conferences with numbers
> attached. There is no more Concorde district,
> therefor no champ.

No you are wrong, please go to the link above and read all the material - districts remain and at least for football district champs are determined as they are now (propbably for other sports too, but I only follow football). BTW the conferences mean nothing for football - it is the top 16 teams in the North and South regardless of conference - I assume (but do not know or care) that conferences come into play for playoffs in other sports.

Date: December 08, 2012 06:37PM

Doctor VHSL Wrote:
> Really...talent Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There are no district champs because there are
> no
> > districts. They are conferences with numbers
> > attached. There is no more Concorde district,
> > therefor no champ.
>
> No you are wrong, please go to the link above and
> read all the material - districts remain and at
> least for football district champs are determined
> as they are now (propbably for other sports too,
> but I only follow football). BTW the conferences
> mean nothing for football - it is the top 16 teams
> in the North and South regardless of conference -
> I assume (but do not know or care) that
> conferences come into play for playoffs in other
> sports.

This is correct, the only other sport I have seen it different for is lacrosse and that is because there is just a lack of teams in the smaller schools so there will be a 6A championship and a 5A-1A championship game. A lot of this stuff seems confusing now, but once it plays out it will make since. This ensures that the teams who belong in the final hunt for trophies are there and not because they finished 4th in a weak district and have an automatic bid. This also ensures that if you play a tough schedule and you win then you look great and if you play a tough schedule and lose half of the games, then you still have a shot of getting in as opposed to a team who played so many weak teams and lost 1/4 of the games. This really levels the playing field without getting rid of the district rivalries and awards.

Date: December 09, 2012 12:10AM

Notice your link and the districts have not been approved yet. It will be voted on in March. There is still a lot to be worked out. Money, travel, ect.

Date: December 09, 2012 11:17AM

Really...talent Wrote:
> Notice your link and the districts have not been
> approved yet. It will be voted on in March.
> There is still a lot to be worked out. Money,
> travel, ect.

I am not sure where you got the March date? The Executive Committee met on December 5th and approved the new Conference Alignment Plan. The only thing left to be worked out is how the semifinal will be done - standard bracket (1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3) or have a North and South champion which would face each other in the final. The Executive Committee left this decision up to each classification (6a, 5a etc.). The minutes have not been posted yet, but a summary of the Executive Committee decision is at: http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/ec-2012-highlights-december.pdf

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: December 09, 2012 11:24AM

Coaching Changes Wrote:
> Day was not at WTW.
>
> Now on to coaching status for next year.
>
> Announced so far:
>
> Trey Taylor - Robinson - Fired
> Keith Powell - Wakefield - Stepped Down
>
> May be in trouble?:
>
> Kevin Simonds - Fairfax
> Said Aziz - Falls Church
> Barry Wells - Mount Vernon
> Dennis Randolph - TC Williams

Wouldn't be surprised if Wooten from South Lakes is in trouble. He's had two really bad years in a row. Hill did a good job with a mediocre (at best) team. So did Ellenberger.

Posted by: former coach ()
Date: December 09, 2012 11:54AM

To carry on w/Young Curmudgeon's post

Remember, The Mt. Vernon and TC Williams connection....the MtV AD is the husband of the TC Williams principal. Do you think they both want to be looking for coaches in the same year?

Another twist is that the MtV head coach is a frat brother of the MtV princiapl's husband. That would be an awkward firing. See you at the reunion?

West Springfield is now open. He left on his terms, since he was not supported with the hiring of coaches.

Falls Church......not a football minded admin and a female AD, so the head coach who chases away kids for a lack of discipline is left w/minimal talent. This job should have been open two years ago.

South Lakes.....can the female AD really fire the guy she brought in to replace her former asst AD/head coach? That would look like she is admitting that she botched in the hiring.

Fairfax....another female AD....a football mind? She is not the one who hired him. Who does she have close that she can rely on for football info?

Wakefield....another female AD....tat school has lots of talent w/no discipline, but who wants it. It is Arlington County, so you mess w/the Fairfax retirement.

Don't be surprised to see Taylor land his feet on the SC sideline w/his ole pal Pannoni.

What former head coaches are still teaching/working?

Bendorf
Ellenberger
Everett
Henderson
Muskett
Rivera

Posted by: Spartan Dad ()
Date: December 09, 2012 05:48PM

former coach Wrote:
>
> West Springfield is now open. He left on his
> terms, since he was not supported with the hiring
> of coaches.

LMAO – What coach did he want to hire that he was not allowed to? He left because he knew he was about to be fired due to very unhappy players and parents!

In the NFL and college they often hire coordinators as head coaches - why is it around here they seem to just recycle the recently fired head coaches? I know of at least one current OC and one former DC that would be great as our new head coach.

Posted by: former coach ()
Date: December 09, 2012 09:48PM

Spartan Dad....since you know these guys.....go ahead and encourage them to go for the job. Be prepared for both of them to voice how they 1) don't want it, 2) don't get it because they are unknowns, or 3) will turn down the offer when they do not get their own short list of assistants in the building.

West Springfield is not an enviable job. It is a bigger school w/a small athletic minority population and no solid connection w/footbal enhancing sports of wrestling, lacrosse nor track. There are dozens of D3 quality kids playing there, but when they do not get D1 offers they "retire" to HS memories. This is a problem county-wide.

The good ole boy system is still intact in FC. The AD is not a football guy, so he will call his contacts to get suggestions. A lot of good that will do to call over to WTW for help. NOT! They need their own coach.

Many head coaches get 5-6 assistants in the building when they accept the job. Not all will be teachers, some will be security and instructional assistants, many times having been former players of the head coach at his previous positions. WSHS is an easy place to work w/minimal oversight. These jobs do not open often making it difficult to get support in the building. There are principals in this county who move football coaches out and some who "create" positions to add new coaches and some do both. WSHS has not been one of those schools for over a decade.

Those are all general items.

More specifically, Biddi had a few willing leftovers from the previous staff. That rarely works, especially when following a winning program. I wonder how most dads would fare with no miltary rank over their subordinates, nor govt contracts to pull. It is a challenge most never encounter.

Now please do not deny that WSHS had two very good QBs under the previous coach. To continue that run w/no true connection to SYC football is next to impossible. And please do not think the previous guy was all that. He had a good run at WSHS. However, he is the only coach in MT Vernon history to never make the playoffs. He fell short of expectations at Langley a few times and following WSHS, he did not do himself justice down in NC.

The school had a gem in a strength coach for years, yet the guy in the weightroom, not Biddi changes directions completely and goes for beach bodies instead of NFL designed strength.

Biddi was given 1 coach in four years. That is an embarrassing level of support especially at a school where Friday night football brings out a crowd. There are only a half dozen schools with consistent crowds at games win or lose like WSHS. Kudos to them for this.

The next head coach has a HUGE hill to climb mainly because community expectations are way out of perspective. I wish him all the best.

I will be there Fridays in the fall. You please do not be the guy yelling, "Run your 'other' play!"

Posted by: Spartan Dad ()
Date: December 10, 2012 08:33AM

So he was not denied an assistant – just didn’t get much help getting them in the building. What is the big deal about being in the building, in fact why is it even important that they be in FCPS at all. Some of the very best coordinators and position coaches in the NR are not in FCPS, while many of the awful HC/DC/OC and asst. coaches are. Many of the skills critical to being a good head coach – leadership, management, budget/finance and public relations (with the administration, parents and allum) aren’t even part of many teachers skill set/experience/educational background.

Your comparison of military/contractors to head coaching are laughable. I can think of no job where a person has more authority or obedient followers than a Head Football Coach – they are practically dictators and there are too many of them that act like Fidel Castro (that’s what pushed Taylor out of Robinson and will likely lead to Pannoni’s downfall as well).

P.S. I am no Renner fan – he only cared about his kid, had a different set of rules for his favorites and was generally unsuccessful (pretty sure his life-time record is below .500) except for his last few years when he had back to back D1 quality QBs.

Posted by: Linda Jones ()
Date: December 10, 2012 08:48AM

Medicore Talent? Hill had 4 division 1 players when he was there... Ellenberger had several Division 1 players and couldn't figure it out.

I didn't agree with TE Wooten hire but they showed improvement this year. South is not a athletic school at all! Even there basketball team sucks now.

Posted by: Playoff Picks ()
Date: December 10, 2012 09:09AM

Screw the coaching changes, let's talk about next year's playoffs. My preseason picks are as follows:

6A North Top 16 for 2013

1) Westfield
2) Centreville
3) Lake Braddock
4) Battlefield
5) Chantilly
6) Stonewall Jackson
7) Oakton
8) Yorktown
9) Hayfield
10) South County
11) Madison
12) Langley
13) West Potomac
14) Osbourn
15) Robinson
16) Fairfax

Posted by: the SL way ()
Date: December 10, 2012 01:40PM

Young Curmudgeon Wrote:
>
> Wouldn't be surprised if Wooten from South Lakes
> is in trouble. He's had two really bad years in a
> row. Hill did a good job with a mediocre (at best)
> team. So did Ellenberger.

He isn't in trouble, all SL varsity sports coaches seem to come with a minimum six year guaranteed contract regardless of the results they produce. Ellenberger had much better talent then Whooten's had in his first two years and I doubt there's a better candidate out there waiting for this job.

Other than built in job security for coaches, the other main problem w/SL is the youth sports programs in Reston suck. Most parents I know tried a Reston youth sports program for a year and then immediately pulled their kids out and sent them to CYA, SYA, Vienna or Ashburn.

Posted by: Renner ()
Date: December 10, 2012 03:48PM

Renner didn't have favorites as much as he knew your son was raised has your DNA.

Posted by: EasternVaFan ()
Date: December 10, 2012 04:12PM

Playoff Picks Wrote:
> Screw the coaching changes, let's talk about next
> year's playoffs. My preseason picks are as
> follows:
>
> 6A North Top 16 for 2013
>
> 1) Westfield
> 2) Centreville
> 3) Lake Braddock
> 4) Battlefield
> 5) Chantilly
> 6) Stonewall Jackson
> 7) Oakton
> 8) Yorktown
> 9) Hayfield
> 10) South County
> 11) Madison
> 12) Langley
> 13) West Potomac
> 14) Osbourn
> 15) Robinson
16) Fairfax

These picks make a lot of sense. I'm curious about whether other people on this board feel strongly that a few other teams should be on this list. I don't see any right now but def could be wrong.

Posted by: Oakton 05 ()
Date: December 10, 2012 04:17PM

South Lakes has the former best Oakton neighborhood for athletic talent. How can you say they don't have talent. The truth of the matter is some students go private to avoid south lakes. Their coaches are terrible.

Posted by: Run from SL ()
Date: December 10, 2012 05:40PM

Oakton 05 Wrote:
> South Lakes has the former best Oakton
> neighborhood for athletic talent. How can you say
> they don't have talent. The truth of the matter is
> some students go private to avoid south lakes.
> Their coaches are terrible.

Truth of the Matter is we all pupil place at Oakton. I play baseball for oakton and a lot of people here avoid South Lakes by gettingpupil placed back at Oakton. Some of my friends go to South Lakes and they wish they went to Oakton. Some of my other friends chose to go to PVI, Flint Hill and OConnel.

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: December 10, 2012 06:45PM

Run from SL Wrote:
> Oakton 05 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > South Lakes has the former best Oakton
> > neighborhood for athletic talent. How can you
> say
> > they don't have talent. The truth of the matter
> is
> > some students go private to avoid south lakes.
> > Their coaches are terrible.
>
>
> Truth of the Matter is we all pupil place at
> Oakton. I play baseball for oakton and a lot of
> people here avoid South Lakes by gettingpupil
> placed back at Oakton. Some of my friends go to
> South Lakes and they wish they went to Oakton.
> Some of my other friends chose to go to PVI, Flint
> Hill and OConnel.

Yeah, that's to be expected. South Lakes isn't a horrible high school. South Lakes is awful athletically.

Posted by: cvillebacker ()
Date: December 12, 2012 11:36AM

Playoff Picks Wrote:
> Screw the coaching changes, let's talk about next
> year's playoffs. My preseason picks are as
> follows:
>
> 6A North Top 16 for 2013
>
> 1) Westfield
> 2) Centreville
> 3) Lake Braddock
> 4) Battlefield
> 5) Chantilly
> 6) Stonewall Jackson
> 7) Oakton
> 8) Yorktown
> 9) Hayfield
> 10) South County
> 11) Madison
> 12) Langley
> 13) West Potomac
> 14) Osbourn
> 15) Robinson
> 16) Fairfax

I agree lets move on! Here are my pre pre-season playoff picks. Do not know that much about former NW Region teams, going off reputation really.

6A North Top 16 for 2013

1)Centreville
2)Lake Braddock
3)Westfield
4)Chantilly
5)Stonewall Jackson
6)Robinson
7)Battlefield
8)Oakton
9)Hayfield
10)Yorktown
11)West Potomac
12)Langley
13)Osbourn
14)Madison
15)South County
16)Fairfax

Posted by: Roosevelt Eaton ()
Date: December 12, 2012 11:42AM

How is the D5 group gonna look next year?

Posted by: Ken Beatrice ()
Date: December 12, 2012 11:49AM

People people people
get a fucking life
I'm a shut in which is my excuse but to be pontificating on the 2013 high school season in dec. 2012? come on!
go find yur parents record collection and listen to some real music with melody
go watch the Godfather trilogy
email ESPN Classic and tell them to run some games from classic sports era's like the 1970's and 1980's instead of that shit they run now
read a Ken kesey book
plant a tree
instead of listening to the tired shit your teachers spout about being green

but pontificating about 2013 football geez louise

Posted by: FHS Alum ()
Date: December 12, 2012 11:59AM

FHS takes states

Posted by: HSFB observer ()
Date: December 12, 2012 04:06PM

Roosevelt Eaton Wrote:
> How is the D5 group gonna look next year?

No reason not to think Stone Bridge will be a factor again since they always seem to be but Briar Woods will also be moving up to D5. Oddly, D6 State champ LC Bird is D5 next year and based on enrollment (1,750) should have been this year.

Posted by: Ram Alum ()
Date: December 12, 2012 05:20PM

Anyone heard any news out of Robinson? There has to be some candidates by now.

Posted by: SteveK2 ()
Date: December 12, 2012 07:16PM

Ram Alum Wrote:
> Anyone heard any news out of Robinson? There has
> to be some candidates by now.

The LC Bird head coach will get the Robinson job

Posted by: Robinson ()
Date: December 12, 2012 07:35PM

The new Robinson head coach currently coaches at Centreville. LC Bird coach is not coming up here. He played at fairfax not Robinson.

Posted by: GridIron1 ()
Date: December 12, 2012 09:38PM

Ken Beatrice: Dude, this is a football chat thread. If you don't like FB, don't hate on us. Go listen to your own record collection, plant a tree or do whatever else you wrote about in your post. There's plenty to talk about--VHSL realighment, coaching changes, recruiting, 7 on 7 leagues starting in March, college bowl games, pro games, etc. C'mon, share your insights. Don't be a hater.

Ken Beatrice Wrote:
> People people people
> get a fucking life
> I'm a shut in which is my excuse but to be
> pontificating on the 2013 high school season in
> dec. 2012? come on!
> go find yur parents record collection and listen
> to some real music with melody
> go watch the Godfather trilogy
> email ESPN Classic and tell them to run some games
> from classic sports era's like the 1970's and
> 1980's instead of that shit they run now
> read a Ken kesey book
> plant a tree
> instead of listening to the tired shit your
> teachers spout about being green
>
> but pontificating about 2013 football geez louise

Posted by: waiting ()
Date: December 12, 2012 10:04PM

Does anyone have a copy of the 2013 master schedule, or know where I can find it? I would like to look at next season's out-of-district matchups! With the postseason conference realignment I think a lot of Northern Region teams will now have a shot at the playoffs with sub-par records. Disagree with it or not if it means more football games then I'll take it.

Posted by: NR Fan is an idiot ()
Date: December 12, 2012 10:11PM

waiting Wrote:
> Does anyone have a copy of the 2013 master
> schedule, or know where I can find it? I would
> like to look at next season's out-of-district
> matchups! With the postseason conference
> realignment I think a lot of Northern Region teams
> will now have a shot at the playoffs with sub-par
> records. Disagree with it or not if it means more
> football games then I'll take it.

The schedule isn't made until the spring/summer time. This isn't the NFL. Teams usually do not post it until early August or so when tryouts start.

The new system should make for the best teams with the toughest schedules/best record in their respective conferences to be in the playoffs. This past year we had teams with 6-4 and 5-5 records make the playoffs so how would that be any different than what you are looking forward to? You will get the same amount of playoff football so don't worry.

Date: December 13, 2012 04:16PM

Not true...The "region" schedule has already been made. It is set by a committee made up of mostly DSA's but sometimes Principals/Admistrators and the like. While the scheduled won't be publicly posted on school's/boosters sites until the summer, they are know well in advance.

Also, with the new post-season classifications for 2013-15 it is likely that teams with only 3 wins will make playoff appearances, depending on who they play. This is because a lot of teams in this area have a stronger "strength of schedule" compared to some other teams within their division & conference. For example, I heard that if played under the new alignments, Falls Church would have made it with a 3-7 record, due to the fact that other teams (formerly of the NW region) were weaker.

Posted by: Mr. Power Points ()
Date: December 13, 2012 04:38PM

In the 6A class 6-4 will be required to guarantee a playoff berth - there will be a couple of 5-5 teams but they will be 1 vs 16 and 2 vs 15 in the first round and it won't be pretty.

I haven't worked the numbers for the 5A class but I would be surprised if 3-7 would get you in. Under the new power points system if you have to play "down" because a team is in your district you get the same amount of power points as if they were the same class.

Posted by: Just Curious ()
Date: December 14, 2012 09:54AM

Robinson Wrote:
> The new Robinson head coach currently coaches at
> Centreville. LC Bird coach is not coming up here.
> He played at fairfax not Robinson.

So who is it?

Posted by: JustaCoach ()
Date: December 14, 2012 10:48AM

Maybe Marc Matthie, their def. coordinator?

Posted by: why ()
Date: December 14, 2012 01:18PM

These new changes are so stupid. what was wrong with the old format this is rediculous.the region championships have always been a huge deal and now we are taking that away. this is not a good move for va football. and the robinson job has yet to be determined so i dont what all this talk about the centreville coach is. I would imagine its pretty much pete bendorfs job if he wants it

Date: December 14, 2012 01:44PM

Changes were made to "even out the competition based on population" really the changes were made so the VHSL can make more money. Now all ticket sales from playoff games go to the state not the region.

Posted by: Turd Burgler ()
Date: December 16, 2012 06:16PM

Haddock from Centreville will be Robinson's new coach.

Posted by: MakesNosense ()
Date: December 16, 2012 06:45PM

Turd Burgler Wrote:
> Haddock from Centreville will be Robinson's new
> coach.

Why would Haddock do that?

He's got a state championship team brewing in Centreville!

Posted by: turd burgler ()
Date: December 16, 2012 06:48PM

When they want you, you would leave too!

Posted by: WrongBoy ()
Date: December 16, 2012 07:53PM

turd burgler Wrote:
> When they want you, you would leave too!

LMAO... Haddock ain't leaving Centreville.

LC Bird coach is the next Robinson Coach.

Posted by: Not really.. ()
Date: December 16, 2012 10:26PM

LC Bird coach is not coming up here. He has been there forever and just won his first title. Why leave. Mark Matthie from centreville will be the new coach. He played for the principal in high school. It's a done deal.

Posted by: Not really... ()
Date: December 16, 2012 10:43PM

MatThie doesn't want that job... He's waiting on another one to open up(which will real soon)...

LC Bird coach is a sure lock. trust me on this one.

Posted by: socoparent ()
Date: December 17, 2012 08:28PM

Apparently south county is already back in the weight room almost every day.. i can see them being a big threat to other teams next year

Date: December 17, 2012 10:48PM

Every team is in the weight room. What's your point?

Posted by: 6A North ()
Date: December 18, 2012 12:54PM

Here's my preseason pics for 6A North Top 16 (2013 season)

1)Westfield
2)Centreville
3)Lake Braddock
4)Battlefield
5)Oakton
6)Stonewall Jackson
7)Chantilly
8)Yorktown
9)Hayfield
10)Robinson
11)South County
12)Osbourn
13)West Potomac
14)West Springfield
15)Fairfax
16)Madison

Posted by: Really....talent ()
Date: December 18, 2012 09:14PM

Here is my list of playoff teams in order.

Centreville
Lake Braddock
Battlefield
Yorktown
Robinson
Westfield
Hayfield
Madison
South County
West Potomac
Stonewall Jackson
Chantilly
Herndon
Fairfax
Oakton
Osbourn

Posted by: Yall are idiots ()
Date: December 19, 2012 08:08PM

You all are so dumb fairfax is going to cook next year with Nick Scott in the backfield he rushed for over 950 yards on less than 85 carries thats over a first down a carry not to mention he had 300+ recieving yards and he missed a game and a half last season. Nick has been flown down to Alabama by nick saban himself to be on the sidelines of a game and Penn State's head coach came to school to talk 1 on 1 with nick, he has the work ethic of a pro and he has "It" you can't stop him. If Kevin Simonds actually realizes what he has and changes his offensive philosophy like he should do based on his talent get ready to get cooked. Fairfax will also have a threat in Max Kavaljian at fullback and linebacker as well, a returning starter for the past two years he understands the game and makes tremendous plays. I wouldn't be surprised if they reach the region semi finals

Posted by: Oh really ()
Date: December 19, 2012 08:15PM

And if they don't again, can we kick you in the nuts?

Posted by: RUSerious? ()
Date: December 20, 2012 01:46PM

Yall are idiots Wrote:
> You all are so dumb fairfax is going to cook next
> year with Nick Scott in the backfield he rushed
> for over 950 yards on less than 85 carries thats
> over a first down a carry not to mention he had
> 300+ recieving yards and he missed a game and a
> half last season. Nick has been flown down to
> Alabama by nick saban himself to be on the
> sidelines of a game and Penn State's head coach
> came to school to talk 1 on 1 with nick, he has
> the work ethic of a pro and he has "It" you can't
> stop him. If Kevin Simonds actually realizes what
> he has and changes his offensive philosophy like
> he should do based on his talent get ready to get
> cooked. Fairfax will also have a threat in Max
> Kavaljian at fullback and linebacker as well, a
> returning starter for the past two years he
> understands the game and makes tremendous plays. I
> wouldn't be surprised if they reach the region
> semi finals

Thanks for the update Max! who else could spell that last name? Gotta love the self promotion. If you have 5 Nick Scotts you MIGHT make the playoffs. The problem besides Scott you have nothing! I will say you guys show out here on the underground, if the playoffs were based on posts here you guys would have made the playoffs. With 16 teams going to the playoffs I see Fairfax as a 1 and done next year. MAYBE

Posted by: predictions ()
Date: December 20, 2012 02:29PM

ill give you my top 8. this new 16 team format is too much

1. centreville
2. Battlefield
3. robinson
4. battlefield
5. Chantilly
6. west potomac
7. south county
8. oakton

Posted by: should we believe the hype ()
Date: December 20, 2012 02:32PM

chantilly is number one on everybodys board do they have enough to win a state title next year?

Posted by: mistake ()
Date: December 20, 2012 02:33PM

my bad centreviile***

Posted by: Not really... ()
Date: December 20, 2012 03:12PM

Looks like 8 is too much...you have Battlefield listed twice in your top 8 predictions. Haha

If Centreville doesn't win states one out of the next two years Haddock should be fired. They are loaded.

Posted by: SB Fan2 ()
Date: December 20, 2012 08:32PM

Agree that 16 teams might be too much. Your picks look very solid; maybe the one change for me would putting Yorktown in there in place of SoCo. Stewart, the guy who just made All Met, is back and might give SoCo fits in the new conference like he did in the playoff win this year.

Posted by: SocoParent ()
Date: December 21, 2012 09:46PM

Coach Shields needs to stop coaching. One of his players who loves football decided to quit because Shields told him hes a worthless piece of shit and that be sucks every practice. He doesnt care about his players, he only wants to win in his name.

Posted by: Really ..... ()
Date: December 21, 2012 09:49PM

Shields from westfield? He hasn't been at soco in 2 or 3 years....what are you talking about. I'm sure your kids does fn suck. Deal with it.

Posted by: YESSSSSSSSS ()
Date: December 21, 2012 09:56PM

YES JON SHIELDS ISNT COACHING NEXT YEAR! WESTFIELD MIGHT ACTUALLY HAVE A CHANCE TO WIN THE REGION!

Posted by: DanWinchester ()
Date: December 21, 2012 10:05PM

My friends son who played for coach shields during the 2011 season said he legit hates everyone and his staff. He curses out coaches and players. Its a shame because inthought he was a very well respected coach around the area

Posted by: LOLOL ()
Date: December 21, 2012 10:13PM

Hahahaha Max gave himself a shoutout...damn caught like shit BOOIII

Posted by: Cvillebacker ()
Date: December 31, 2012 01:07AM

Really ..... Wrote:
> Shields from westfield? He hasn't been at soco in
> 2 or 3 years....what are you talking about. I'm
> sure your kids does fn suck. Deal with it.

Shields has been at Westfield for years you have him confused with another Coach. He is well respected and does a great job.

Posted by: Wildcat24 ()
Date: January 01, 2013 10:52PM

Who thinks West Potomac can win the northern region with the return of Demornay Pierson -el

Posted by: tim walker ()
Date: January 02, 2013 07:05AM

nobody

Posted by: EHS ()
Date: January 03, 2013 02:00PM

Edison High School will return to prominence and win the region!!!!

Posted by: Thetruth ()
Date: January 03, 2013 11:54PM

Anyone hear who the new coach at Robinson is?

Posted by: Oh really ()
Date: January 04, 2013 07:58AM

EHS Wrote:
> Edison High School will return to prominence and
> win the region!!!!

Insert Nelson Muntz laugh.

Get a new coach first, then maybe you can start talking about even competing in the National District.

Posted by: Joe D ()
Date: January 04, 2013 02:10PM

What football staff is the best in the in northern region?

Posted by: Truts ()
Date: January 04, 2013 02:59PM

Westfield or Centreville are both Head and shoulders above the rest. Give the edge to Centreville because they have less talent then Westfield

Posted by: NLR ()
Date: January 04, 2013 03:49PM

Madison they do a hell of a job with very little talent.

Date: January 04, 2013 11:07PM

Centreville staff is terrible. They have a ton of talent just like Westfield. Haddock sucked everywhere else before he was given a dream job. If he doesn't win two states titles with the kids he has coming back he should be fired. He got out coached ths year in the playoffs. Which s a great transition to the bet staff - Oakton. Oakton has less talent and less kids than everybody else. The fact that they have 4 region titles since 2000 (more than any other D6 northern region team) speaks for itself. They have basically had the same staff since then too.

Posted by: Oakton Staff ()
Date: January 06, 2013 10:01PM

The Oakton coaching staff is without a doubt the best in the area. Look at the consistency and improvements that the players make every year. This year they had a couple big time players but the coaching staff worked to put role players around them and come playoff time I think the improvements they made showed. It was a special group of kids who really came together more than any other team I have seen over the last couple of years.

With that being said they have very little talent returning. Bobby Lamb will be that team. Being a contrast from last year, they will be VERY solid up front on defense without many skill position players to fill open spots. Will be a very tough task for the Oakton coaching staff.

Posted by: C'ville Fan ()
Date: January 07, 2013 07:36AM

Centreville should average 40pts a game if Haddock opens up this offense and stop this tired wing T offense. Too many weapons to deal with!

Posted by: Tilly Fan ()
Date: January 07, 2013 11:47AM

"Bobby Lamb will be that team." Really? Unless Bobby Lam learns how to throw the ball and run the oakton offense as Downer's replacement, he will not be "that team."

Oakton has significant losses going into next year, but the underclassmen who got playing time this past season will be solid: Lam is one of them, but there are others. That said, the skill positions are wide open, and there will be plenty of competition for spots - unless some miraculous tranfers show up.

Oakton will be competitive, but if past history is any guide, they will not come close to duplicating their state run.

Posted by: KoolntheGang ()
Date: January 07, 2013 01:43PM

Westfield staff is better than anyone-----just ask anyone who has a clue. Its not close. What they get out of their talent is unbelievable. How many on this board had them pegged for 12-1 this year after losing all they did last year. This years QB was a Tight End last year, the RB didnt play last year and 90% of the starters didnt play last year. That's alot of coaching right there.

Date: January 07, 2013 05:19PM

The why are westfield's coaches all leaving because they hate each other? Ask the players. The D staff can't stand the O. Shannon is a terrible OC. It seems everybody hates shields. Too many former head coaches too many cooks.

Posted by: Saywhat ()
Date: January 07, 2013 11:58PM

Really...talent Wrote:
> The why are westfield's coaches all leaving
> because they hate each other? Ask the players.
> The D staff can't stand the O. Shannon is a
> terrible OC. It seems everybody hates shields. Too
> many former head coaches too many cooks.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Posted by: KingConcorde ()
Date: January 08, 2013 12:00AM

Really...talent Wrote:
> The why are westfield's coaches all leaving
> because they hate each other? Ask the players.
> The D staff can't stand the O. Shannon is a
> terrible OC. It seems everybody hates shields. Too
> many former head coaches too many cooks.

"Shannon is a terrible OC." Yeah---that offense looked like it had trouble scoring this year.....see notes above regarding former TE playing QB and RB's who didnt play last year....that Shannon guy must really suck.

Posted by: Really....talent ()
Date: January 08, 2013 05:09AM

SayWhat- I am just going on what I was told directly from a coach on staff. After the loss in the regional final it all hit the fan. So yes I do know what I am talking about.

Posted by: Ray Taylor ()
Date: January 08, 2013 08:53AM

Who is getting the West Springfield and Robinson jobs?

Pages: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 27

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.