HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Beating a running at large ticket
Posted by: Ann ()
Date: November 28, 2012 11:56AM

Got a ticket from animal control last night for my dog running at large. He says when he got there she was on the property (she is on invisible fence). He say she charged at him and came off the property. We have been here for 4 yrs and have never had an incident like this at all. The FedEx, UPS, USPS, gardener, surveyors, etc have always come on to the property with no issue.She has never tried to run off the property. Does this sound like I should fight this ticket or pre-pay? Also, I asked if she tried to bite him, he said no, that if she would have he would have shot her dead, all this in front of my 10 yr old daughter. Thank goodness I got home when I did. Any advice

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beating a running at large ticket
Posted by: Hmmm ()
Date: November 28, 2012 12:11PM

Why was Animal Control called then if it never leaves your property? Sounds like a part of the story is missing.

I would contest it unless the animal control officer has pics. Otherwise, it is hard for him to prove it was off the property. The judge will probably take the officer's word but I would contest it just to make the officer show up in court.

Date: November 28, 2012 12:21PM

They got a call from someone that said my dog bit theirs. Again, I do not know if their dog came onto the property or if my dog ran off the property. At least with animal control he did say she was on the property when he got there. I was thinking of getting letters from neighbors, my dog sitter , and people that walk their dogs pass my house everyday to establish a pattern of behavior that she exhibits in these situations.

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: November 28, 2012 12:23PM

Do not trust the invisable fence to protect your dog from animal control scumbags, who have the same itchy trigger finger the cops do.

Plus , dogs get carried away sometimes , and its not impossible for them to chase a cat or a squirrel and go right through the electric fence.

I'd only have the dog outside when he's supervised, otherwise your doggy should be in the house, the safest place of all.

It's up to you to protect your dog from all the horrors that could possibly befall him, and an electric fence is only a tool to help, not the end all and be all.

Posted by: electric fence ()
Date: November 28, 2012 12:33PM

We have some friends with an electric fence and their dog is out all the time. I feel sorry for the dog.

If you are too lazy to watch YOUR pet you should not own one.

Just pay your ticket and watch your dog.

Posted by: ROCKO MEATS ()
Date: November 28, 2012 12:34PM

Fairfax's Animal Control tryed this with me, I was lucky that my neighbor witnessed the entire incident, she went home with her tail stuck between her legs once my neighbor and I went to court.

Date: November 28, 2012 12:44PM

I walk my dog into Mason District quite frequently plus around the neighborhood all the time. She is a family dog and well-loved and not neglected. The only reason we keep her outside when we leave is because she is destructive alone. She is a rescue and does not do well in crates (she chewed her way out of a metal one)..I stay at home so when she wants to be in the house she can come in, I actually have to call her in sometimes because she would stay out all night in good weather. She sleeps with one of my kids every night. So, it is not that I am lazy. Like I said, in the 4 years we have been here nothing like this has ever happened. I am sorry your for your friend's dog too, we rescued a dog in a similar situation.

Posted by: Cager ()
Date: November 28, 2012 12:47PM

Ann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I walk my dog into Mason District quite frequently
> plus around the neighborhood all the time. She is
> a family dog and well-loved and not neglected.
> The only reason we keep her outside when we leave
> is because she is destructive alone. She is a
> rescue and does not do well in crates (she chewed
> her way out of a metal one)..I stay at home so
> when she wants to be in the house she can come in,
> I actually have to call her in sometimes because
> she would stay out all night in good weather. She
> sleeps with one of my kids every night. So, it is
> not that I am lazy. Like I said, in the 4 years
> we have been here nothing like this has ever
> happened. I am sorry your for your friend's dog
> too, we rescued a dog in a similar situation.

My dog destroyed two crates before we finally spent $200.00 and
got one that is very sturdy. We call it "Alcatraz". This one works
fine.

Posted by: Hmmm ()
Date: November 28, 2012 01:03PM

Yeah, I wouldn't leave a dog unsupervised in an unfenced yard around here, electric fence or not. People steal dogs, a vicious dog could get lose and attack it, some trigger-happy cop or neighbor could decide it was "attacking" and shoot it dead, and the list goes on.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: November 28, 2012 01:23PM

Just pay the fine you big dummy. How much time are you going to spend trying to scheme your way out of it? Don't you have anything better to do?

Posted by: Sum Yung Gi ()
Date: November 28, 2012 01:27PM

waht is address? i fix now for you.

Posted by: Anon Neighbor ()
Date: November 28, 2012 01:29PM

I live down the street. Most of us do not like this dog's owner or the dog. We all wish they would move out ASAP!

Date: November 28, 2012 01:49PM

Thanks to everyone for the positive advice, which is what I was looking for, not trying to get out of anything, just looking at all angles.

@Anon neighbor I think you must be mistaken. We get along great with all our neighbors and have never had a complaint. Kids come on the property to pet her all the time. Sometimes the little ones walk by and I will stand outside and have them walk on to the property to pet her. We have a really cool neighborhood and everyone talks to everyone and frequently gets together.

Posted by: Anon Neighbor ()
Date: November 28, 2012 01:59PM

NO, not everyone here likes you. Remember, someone called Animal Control on you and your trashy dog. Really, this is a nice neighborhood and you keep your stupid dog outside in your front yard all day like this is manassas. And let's not get started on your frequent "get togethers". Yeah, you dirty sinners will pay for your sins one day. Probably with AIDS. Sick fuckers! Get out! NOW!!!!!

Posted by: wow! ()
Date: November 28, 2012 03:30PM

I am sorry but a lot of kids are scared of dogs because of people like Ann.

Ann,

Can you please get a better cage and keep your dog indoors when you can't watch him.

Thanks!

If not I will continue to call animal control when your dog gets loose.

Posted by: FD22 ()
Date: November 28, 2012 03:44PM

Hope you realize electric fences don't work well. Many dogs learn they can run through it and only get stung once. When that happens they are less likely to run back in.

Build a fence or keep your dog inside. Electric fences are not safe. Plus, it does not deter other animals from getting onto YOUR property. Pet owners need to be more responsible and think of OTHERS in their community. When I bought a dog I got a fence, and my dog is only 14 pounds.

Posted by: DogOwner20Years ()
Date: November 28, 2012 03:46PM

Ann Wrote:
> I walk my dog into Mason District quite frequently
> plus around the neighborhood all the time. She is
> a family dog and well-loved and not neglected.
> The only reason we keep her outside when we leave
> is because she is destructive alone. She is a
> rescue and does not do well in crates (she chewed
> her way out of a metal one)..I stay at home so
> when she wants to be in the house she can come in,
> I actually have to call her in sometimes because
> she would stay out all night in good weather. She
> sleeps with one of my kids every night. So, it is
> not that I am lazy. Like I said, in the 4 years
> we have been here nothing like this has ever
> happened. I am sorry your for your friend's dog
> too, we rescued a dog in a similar situation.

I hate to say this, but...if you're dog is destructive alone then you have not trained it properly. That's not the dog's fault, it's yours. As a dog owner it is your responsibility to your community and to your family to have a well trained dog. One of the worse things is a dog that is not trained.

Posted by: read carefully ()
Date: November 28, 2012 03:59PM

Kilton Wrote:
> Just pay the fine you big dummy. How much time are
> you going to spend trying to scheme your way out
> of it? Don't you have anything better to do?

Reading comp problems?

Ann clearly stated, "I stay at home so when she wants to be in the house she can come in."

This person stays at home. Clearly she has nothing better to do. I bet her life is so lame she probably posted on this board on Thanksgiving day. You can't get much lamer than that.

Posted by: Dog Lover ()
Date: November 28, 2012 04:11PM

Fully agree with DogOwner20Years and Kilton. This woman needs to get a clue. Watch some Dog Whisperer for crying out loud, his dogs don't charge people.

Posted by: The flaw in invisible fences ()
Date: November 28, 2012 04:18PM

FD22 Wrote:
> Hope you realize electric fences don't work well.
> Many dogs learn they can run through it and only
> get stung once. When that happens they are less
> likely to run back in.
>
> Build a fence or keep your dog inside. Electric
> fences are not safe. Plus, it does not deter
> other animals from getting onto YOUR property.
> Pet owners need to be more responsible and think
> of OTHERS in their community. When I bought a dog
> I got a fence, and my dog is only 14 pounds.

Seriously. Invisible fences are such a dumb idea. Dogs often will "run to distraction" after an animal or a person and not even realize they just got shocked, and then will not return to the property because of the shocks.

Plus, shocking your dog in order to coerce a behavior is a fucked up idea in the first place.

Just because it is a small box on a collar doesn't mean it isn't as inhumane as a fucking cattle prod.

Posted by: not so fast ()
Date: November 28, 2012 05:23PM

I dont think all the neighbors were happy with you or your dog because someone called. Unless you live on a main thoroughfare with lots of traffic I doubt the animal control person just happened upon it.

Posted by: TheNorthman ()
Date: November 28, 2012 05:35PM

I’m with BEH on this one. It sounds like your dog is fine. Possibly a little excitable… but not a threat to bite a human. Dogs get into to pissy little scrapes all the time with one another. Especially younger ones. When my dog was between 2-3 I wouldn’t let her near females she didn’t know because I knew she was going to try to establish dominance over the other female dog and a fight could break out any second (I’ve broken up dozens!) I just avoided taking her to places like dog parks for about a year and eventually she grew out of it.

Anyway, it’s possible your dog got into an altercation with another dog (like school kids on the playground) and now you have the attention of at least one of your neighbors and animal control. It’s like BEH said, your dog could chase a rabbit or fox or see another dog, burst through the fence and……

If you must let your dog out while you are away, do you have a back yard that is more secluded and not in view of passersby? It’s quite possible that your neighbor will continue his/her bitching campaign and animal control will be by again. In real time it can be hard to distinguish between an unfamiliar dog who is charging towards you because he/she wants to play with you or attack you. Like BEH, said, some animal control officers have an itchy trigger finger and based on your post, the guy who stopped by may be one of them.

FWIW, I would not allow your dog to be outside unsupervised for a little while just to let this shit cool off. Maybe introduce your dog to your neighbors (if you have any idea who is making the calls). Do some PR work for your dog!

Posted by: GFR ()
Date: November 28, 2012 07:10PM

Itchy trigger fingers???? What the hell are you people talking about?? The cops and animal control shoot more people in the county each year then they shoot dogs!!! And the few dogs they have shot over the last decade were mostly pit bulls.

Come on, use that thing called google and post of the number of times you can find dogs being shot in Fairfax County the cops. Lets see how many you guys come up with.

And to the OP, if the animal control person threatened to shoot your dog in the manner you described then you need to make a complaint. Not that it will do anything but at least there will be a record of the guys behavior.

Posted by: 2 cents ()
Date: November 28, 2012 07:59PM

A house a couple of doors over used to have two large dogs 'enclosed' by an invisible fence on their large front yard. I used to walk by there all the time. The dogs would bark like crazy and come right to the edge of the yard. I was terrified, especially knowing that the invisible fence might not keep them in.

Please remember that not everyone loves dogs. Some people are truly frightened by them - perhaps including the neighbor who called Animal Control. You really should consider putting up a 'real' fence.

Posted by: u idiot ()
Date: November 28, 2012 09:24PM

fighting your ticket is pointless. you were to lazy to watch your dog outside, so you dont know what happened since you were not watching. now its the aco's word against who's word? not yours because you were not there. so what you are saying is anytime you are not home, you put the dog outside because it destroys your home? guess that dog is getting real cold lately being outside so much. if you cant watch your dog when its outside, dont put it outside. stop being lazy or get rid of that mutt.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: November 28, 2012 10:57PM

@OP - u idiot may be being mean, but he/she's dead spot on. Dog needs to be inside, my friend. Animal Control came to you for a reason. It's an issue. Fix it.

That's all.

Posted by: 36 ()
Date: November 28, 2012 11:50PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @OP - u idiot may be being mean, but he/she's dead
> spot on. Dog needs to be inside, my friend.
> Animal Control came to you for a reason. It's an
> issue. Fix it.
>
> That's all.

@Gordon Blvd - STFU, you bore me.

you know next time you can just use this nifty interwebz to find another site - you DO understand how the interwebz work, right? o_0
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: November 29, 2012 12:03AM

@36 - you actually logged on and typed out that I bore you? SERIOUSLY?

honestly................what sort of pathetic life do you have that you'd really waste time to type that out? LoLz

pic unrelated
Attachments:
f u.gif

Re: you know next time you can just use this nifty interwebz to find another site - you DO understand how the interwebz work, right? o_0
Posted by: 36 ()
Date: November 29, 2012 12:17AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @36 - you actually logged on and typed out that I
> bore you? SERIOUSLY?

Yes, I actually did. SERIOUSLY.

> honestly................what sort of pathetic life
> do you have that you'd really waste time to type
> that out? LoLz

Less pathetic than yours, since I won't be adding "LOLz" to my post.

That's babyish.

Posted by: Disgusted ()
Date: June 20, 2013 10:02PM

I have never once commented on a board like thus, but after stumbling across this when looking up a question regarding dog parks, I feel I have to point out how horrible everyone's responses were on this forum.. It's heartbreaking to know that such mean spirited people exist in this world. We the wonder why kids are bullies and hateful to their peers.

Posted by: Tray von Martin ()
Date: June 20, 2013 10:14PM

Thank you. Now please leave.

Posted by: lolololololo ()
Date: June 20, 2013 10:37PM

Disgusted Wrote:
> I have never once commented on a board like thus,
> but after stumbling across this when looking up a
> question regarding dog parks, I feel I have to
> point out how horrible everyone's responses were
> on this forum.. It's heartbreaking to know that
> such mean spirited people exist in this world. We
> the wonder why kids are bullies and hateful to
> their peers.

go fuck yourself

Posted by: Oh Ya? ()
Date: June 21, 2013 07:55AM

FD22 Wrote:
> Many dogs learn they can run through it and only
> get stung once. When that happens they are less
> likely to run back in.

A well-trained and intelligent dog will stay within the boundary.
>
> Build a fence or keep your dog inside.

You do what you want. My front yard won't be fenced-in like I live in Manassas Park.

Electric
> fences are not safe.

Not safe? Are you a total idiot?

Plus, it does not deter
> other animals from getting onto YOUR property.

Other animals should not be on my property.

> Pet owners need to be more responsible and think
> of OTHERS in their community.

You really like yourself, don't you?

When I bought a dog
> I got a fence, and my dog is only 14 pounds.

You must be a faggot

Posted by: Don't kick a dead dog ()
Date: June 21, 2013 09:14AM

Disgusted Wrote:
> I have never once commented on a board like thus,
> but after stumbling across this when looking up a
> question regarding dog parks, I feel I have to
> point out how horrible everyone's responses were
> on this forum.. It's heartbreaking to know that
> such mean spirited people exist in this world. We
> the wonder why kids are bullies and hateful to
> their peers.

You went back 7 months to find a thread which had died so that you could find something to bitch about? You really need to get a life and not worry about whay people said 7 months ago.

Posted by: Moms Mabley ()
Date: June 21, 2013 09:41AM

I have never once commented on a board like thus, but after stumbling across this when looking up a question regarding dog parks, I feel I have to point out how horrible everyone's responses were on this forum.. It's heartbreaking to know that such mean spirited people exist in this world. We the wonder why kids are bullies and hateful to their peers.

Go back to Pleasantville, OK?

Posted by: mr goldberg ()
Date: September 23, 2013 04:16AM

Fuck off David G.

Posted by: More to it ()
Date: September 23, 2013 04:50AM

2 cents Wrote:
> A house a couple of doors over used to have two
> large dogs 'enclosed' by an invisible fence on
> their large front yard. I used to walk by there
> all the time. The dogs would bark like crazy and
> come right to the edge of the yard. I was
> terrified, especially knowing that the invisible
> fence might not keep them in.
>
> Please remember that not everyone loves dogs. Some
> people are truly frightened by them - perhaps
> including the neighbor who called Animal Control.
> You really should consider putting up a 'real'
> fence.

I don't trust invisible fences at all.

Posted by: YouShouldGoToGuantanamo ()
Date: September 23, 2013 04:39PM

That's terrorism.

What if I walk by and your dog charges at me and I don't know there is an invisible fence? I'm terrorized everytime I walk by.

Posted by: Vicious Dog ()
Date: September 23, 2013 05:24PM

YouShouldGoToGuantanamo Wrote:
> That's terrorism.
>
> What if I walk by and your dog charges at me and I
> don't know there is an invisible fence? I'm
> terrorized everytime I walk by.
Attachments:
funny-dog-costume.jpg

Posted by: Gb ()
Date: July 11, 2014 08:42PM

wow! Wrote:
> I am sorry but a lot of kids are scared of dogs
> because of people like Ann.
>
> Ann,
>
> Can you please get a better cage and keep your dog
> indoors when you can't watch him.
>
> Thanks!
>
> If not I will continue to call animal control when
> your dog gets loose.

Dogs r great..u probably r a hater..it takes a lot to hate dogs..check your heart and se if Christ is in you

Posted by: Gb ()
Date: July 11, 2014 08:49PM

Anon Neighbor Wrote:
> NO, not everyone here likes you. Remember, someone
> called Animal Control on you and your trashy dog.
> Really, this is a nice neighborhood and you keep
> your stupid dog outside in your front yard all day
> like this is manassas. And let's not get started
> on your frequent "get togethers". Yeah, you dirty
> sinners will pay for your sins one day. Probably
> with AIDS. Sick fuckers! Get out! NOW!!!!!

Wow...I'm glad I don't live near you haters...I guess
U r so perfect Jesus uses you as an example of great forgiveness
when He preaches..you want to hate..so you do ..it's a stupid fine

Posted by: MWPPL ()
Date: July 11, 2014 09:33PM

Gb Wrote:
> Anon Neighbor Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > NO, not everyone here likes you. Remember,
> someone
> > called Animal Control on you and your trashy
> dog.
> > Really, this is a nice neighborhood and you
> keep
> > your stupid dog outside in your front yard all
> day
> > like this is manassas. And let's not get
> started
> > on your frequent "get togethers". Yeah, you
> dirty
> > sinners will pay for your sins one day.
> Probably
> > with AIDS. Sick fuckers! Get out! NOW!!!!!
>
>
> Wow...I'm glad I don't live near you haters...I
> guess
> U r so perfect Jesus uses you as an example of
> great forgiveness
> when He preaches..you want to hate..so you do
> ..it's a stupid fine

Piss off,
Take care of your dogs. We are sick of dog owners letting their dogs bark endlessly and crapping on other peoples property. I would have no problem killing a dog that threaten me or any kids or anyone else for that matter. Dogs are not people. They are property, takke care of your property so we don't have to.

Sick of it......

Posted by: H3XKC ()
Date: July 12, 2014 01:53AM

You should be beating the dog, not the ticket

Posted by: Gus ()
Date: July 27, 2014 02:54AM

If someone is afraid of dogs, who owns the problem? I'm afraid of heights and spiders; do I sue the cliffs? People are so stupid, the most ignorant of which no everything. I've figured nothing out, hell, I'm one of the biggest idiots I know; I fenced out my neighbors and got four dogs. Finally some intelligent company. People should bug off. Dog's usually have a good read on people, they protect us from the ignorant. How the ignorant interpret this, not my problem. Good fences make good neighbors, you're not keeping your dogs in rather the idiots out.

Posted by: Officer doofy ()
Date: July 27, 2014 04:56AM

I would never leave my dog outside and trust an invisible fence! Mainly because I live in Asiandale and there are a lot of Korean restaurants here...

Posted by: vu4uU ()
Date: July 27, 2014 09:57AM

Ann Wrote:
> They got a call from someone that said my dog bit
> theirs.

If someone thinks your dog injured theirs and called animal control, animal control would have a report naming the neighbor. Can you get the original report and contact the neighbor directly to get their side? It's at least possible that animal control was mistaken and just went after the first dog they saw outdoors on your street. Or it's possible that your dog really did get loose. Or it's possible that one of your neighbors lied to make trouble for you. (Note that Virginia law allows you to record your call without the other party's knowledge.)

Posted by: XxMYd ()
Date: July 27, 2014 11:33AM

Pet owners can be blind to problems. I had a friend whose dog kept biting people. Not their angle! They never saw how scared we all were of it. No one would enter their house we would just stand outside. At first it was not serious bites but bites nonetheless.

Eventually the dog graduated to really hurting people and hospitals are required to report dog bites of a serious nature so the dog was eventually put down. People love their dogs and sometimes refuse to see the flaws. If people are calling animal control on your dog you and your dog have a big problem. Fix it if you want this thing to end happily for everyone. The ticket is not the problem - its a signal you will lose your dog if you dont act.

Posted by: angel ()
Date: July 27, 2014 11:33AM

*angel

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: July 27, 2014 12:05PM

XxMYd Wrote:
> Pet owners can be blind to problems. I had a
> friend whose dog kept biting people. Not their
> angle! They never saw how scared we all were of
> it. No one would enter their house we would just
> stand outside. At first it was not serious bites
> but bites nonetheless.
>
> Eventually the dog graduated to really hurting
> people and hospitals are required to report dog
> bites of a serious nature so the dog was
> eventually put down. People love their dogs and
> sometimes refuse to see the flaws. If people are
> calling animal control on your dog you and your
> dog have a big problem. Fix it if you want this
> thing to end happily for everyone. The ticket is
> not the problem - its a signal you will lose your
> dog if you dont act.

I agree. However it is equally true that there are people whose dislike or fear of dogs cause them to behave unacceptably. One of the reasons I keep my dog in fenced in areas or on a leash is because I don't trust what other people might do. I had someone try to mace my dog once in my own doorway, "because the dog was barking when [he] rang the bell". If you are that fearful of dogs, deliveryman or door to door sales may not be careers for you.

Posted by: dvJbt ()
Date: July 27, 2014 01:06PM

Ann Wrote:

Also, I asked if she tried to bite him,
> he said no, that if she would have he would have
> shot her dead, all this in front of my 10 yr old
> daughter. Thank goodness I got home when I did.

Do animal control officers in Fairfax routinely carry guns? I don't think that's standard practice in most jurisdictions. Pepper spray yes, but not firearms. What kind of training and supervision do they get? Opening fire at a dog in a residential neighborhood with kids around sounds like a prescription for disaster.

Posted by: nova gal ()
Date: July 27, 2014 04:45PM

One thing about invisible fences... dogs will frequently get excited and run out of them but once outside, the adrenaline isn't there and they won't try to get back inside the yard. How did the dog get back inside?

Posted by: brook ()
Date: August 14, 2014 05:25PM

How much was your fine? I know this was a long time ago I am just wondering the cost

Posted by: pinedog5432 ()
Date: October 22, 2014 08:14PM

You're a fucking faggot some people work for a living you piece of shit... can't stare at the fucking dog all day

Posted by: tellerz ()
Date: October 23, 2014 08:19AM

FD22 Wrote:

Long leash that is short enough not to let the dog off the property. That way if someone complains about dog-on-dog it was clearly on your property... dogs don't get off leash and then put it back on.

As for 10-year-old, someone needs to teach the child that if you don't control your dog it will be killed and it's serious business.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.