HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Kickass old NOVA Radios Stations/Djs
Posted by: Disco Stu ()
Date: November 25, 2012 08:45PM

Q 107 "Q 107 , FM 107, It's happening right on Q" _ Uncle Johnny

Dc101- HOWARD (God), Greaseman, Adam Smasher

WAVA 105 The Morning Zoo ( DOn and Mike in the AM - also rans, but sometimes entertaining).

The Arrow 98.7 - Cerphe

More?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kickass old NOVA Radios Stations/Djs
Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: November 25, 2012 09:13PM

B106 The Mix I think it was?
99.1 WHFS was awesome in the mid-late 80s. The Weasle!

Posted by: old ()
Date: November 25, 2012 10:26PM

JA the DJ (Jack Alix) WEEL radio Fairfax 1310 AM. Later at WEAM and WPGC.

Cousin Brucie (Bruce Morrow) WABC AM New York. The powerful AM stations could be heard hundreds, sometimes thousands of miles from their source.

That's why Wolfman Jack broadcast from Mexico. His transmitter down there had more power than the FCC allowed.

Posted by: old and runny ()
Date: November 26, 2012 02:03AM

"JA the DJ (Jack Alix) WEEL radio Fairfax 1310 AM. Later at WEAM and WPGC"

wasn't it the other way around? weam then wpgc and then weel?

when his radio life had run out in fairfax I believe he worked in radio down Richmond way for many years. passed away about 3 years ago.

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: November 26, 2012 02:23AM

Disco Stu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WAVA 105 The Morning Zoo ( DOn and Mike in the AM - also rans, but sometimes entertaining).

It's 95 fun loving degrees in America's favorite city, on W [insert something mildly amusing here] AVA!

I always enjoyed that bit.

Posted by: my memory is going ()
Date: November 26, 2012 02:28AM

hell just looked it up and Jack Alix died 6 years ago! nov. 21 at age 64

http://www.amandfmmorningside.com/wpgc_jack_alix.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/20/AR2006112001226.html

"Jack Alix; Local DJ Hosted Dance Show, Beatles Concerts
Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Jack Alix, 64, a fixture on Washington rock radio in the 1960s known as "JA the DJ" who most recently was head of marketing and promotions for Clear Channel Communications stations in Richmond, died Nov. 15 at Johnston-Willis Hospital in Richmond. He had emphysema, diabetes and pneumonia.

Mr. Alix, who had a fluid and excitable style, became one of the premier rock deejays in Washington in the early 1960s, first on WEEL-AM and later on WPGC-AM/FM. He also hosted a weekday dance show for teenagers on WDCA-TV (Channel 20) called "Wing Ding," soon renamed "The Jack Alix Show."

He was among those chosen to emcee at Washington Coliseum when the Beatles performed their first U.S. concert there in February 1964. He also hosted the band's later concert at what was then called D.C. Stadium.

"There was only one of the Beatles who took the time to talk, who was friendly, who related on a one-to-one level, and that was Paul McCartney," he later told the Richmond Times-Dispatch. "It was like talking to a next-door neighbor."

John Anthony Alix was born in Chicago and raised in Washington by his single mother, a personal assistant to Teamsters head Jimmy Hoffa.

As a teenager, Mr. Alix was a regular dancer on Milt Grant's popular bandstand show, and he became the nighttime deejay on WEEL after graduating in 1960 from Archbishop Carroll High School."

Jack alix is the one standing the gentleman sitting is not a young don geronimo before he lost all his hair
Attachments:
d.c. radio wpgc cousin_warren_duffy_and_jack_alix_in_production.jpg

Posted by: Pipedream ()
Date: November 26, 2012 02:33AM

1971 Columbia School of Broadcasting local commercial
with Jack Alix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZWIPYe406U

Date: November 26, 2012 10:19AM

WCXR 105.9 in the late '80s-early '90s was a terrific Classic Rock station. Haven't had one nearly as good since.

Posted by: The Bee ()
Date: November 26, 2012 10:49AM

The 106.7 station was a country and western station, then B106.7 was bubblegum and pop music for a long time, then it switched to WJFk, 106.7 and now The Fan (ugh). When WJFK first started, Richard Belzer hosted a morning show and talked about how edgy the station was going to be, then it went smooth jazz for a long time. Howard eventuall came on and Don and Mike of course, but it wasn't until near the end of "guy talk" they ever really got a good identity and got their legs.

Posted by: strat ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:46PM

I wouldn't call it NOVA exactly, but 90.1 WGTB "One nation, underground" in the basement of Georgetown University was beyond awesome. Some nights you had to get past the fact that the DJ was getting baked while doing his show, but it was the ONLY place to find music that was really different, whether it was punk or what was once called "space music" which presaged the entire electronic music scene.

It was a travesty when Rev. Healy shut it down and sold the equipment for $1 (or so I heard.) I was going to a Catholic school at the time and got more than a little flak for wearing a black armband the day they pulled the plug.

I later heard that the equipment went to what became C-SPAN radio on the same frequency, but I have no idea whether that's true.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: November 26, 2012 06:07PM

@Bee - it was KIX 106 back in it's country days. It moved to North Carolina I think when the "Bee" took over.

@OP - T.K. T.K, Tom KENT! Hot 8 @ 8 on WAVA

Posted by: lbss 82 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 05:16AM

Way back in the late 70's it was Murphy in the morning on WEEL radio.
Attachments:
murphybs.jpg

Posted by: Howard stinks ()
Date: November 27, 2012 06:51AM

Howard stern is a no talent cunt.

Posted by: Grease ()
Date: November 27, 2012 07:18AM

Happ E 2 C U A Ginn

Posted by: Fast Forward to Today... ()
Date: November 27, 2012 07:20AM

lbss 82 Wrote:
> Way back in the late 70's it was Murphy in the
> morning on WEEL radio.

Allegedly Pat Murphy now spends a great deal of time using the name "Commander Bunny" on internet message boards and being an angry, old mess of a person. No bullshit.

Very much like "Legend in his own Mind" Paul Bicknell and his epically bad behavior on the shitty DCRTV website.

Posted by: Bill Hayes ()
Date: November 27, 2012 07:25AM

Greaseman had the real talent. Stern is just a greasy yid.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: November 27, 2012 08:07AM

Bill Hayes Wrote:
> Greaseman had the real talent. Stern is just a
> greasy yid.

ROFLMAO@u

how'd that "talent" work out for him again?

yeah, Stern's soooooooooo 2nd Banana to Greaseman in this reality.........

do you even know what planet you are on, BH?

Posted by: DCRTV Dave ()
Date: November 27, 2012 08:15AM

Greaseman will be back on WTNT with Mike O'Meara starting in January.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: November 27, 2012 08:37AM

LongTimeFirstTime Wrote:
> WCXR 105.9 in the late '80s-early '90s was a
> terrific Classic Rock station. Haven't had one
> nearly as good since.

+1. That was a good station.

Posted by: Harumph ()
Date: November 27, 2012 08:43AM

Fast Forward to Today... Wrote:
> lbss 82 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Way back in the late 70's it was Murphy in the
> > morning on WEEL radio.
>
>
> Allegedly Pat Murphy now spends a great deal of
> time using the name "Commander Bunny" on internet
> message boards and being an angry, old mess of a
> person. No bullshit.
>
> Very much like "Legend in his own Mind" Paul
> Bicknell and his epically bad behavior on the
> shitty DCRTV website.

Oh, come on. Davy Jones INVENTED radio, and he'd be the first to tell you so . . . over and over again. If you draw a line at age 60 in the radio industry, every person below that line has a "Paul Bicknell treated me like shit" story. Except for the people who never met him.

Posted by: YDB ()
Date: November 27, 2012 09:08AM

"Greaseman will be back on WTNT with Mike O'Meara starting in January."

He is funnier than LFF
only way i see the Grease coming back is LFF convincing Oncor or Wait nOt to buy the time

Posted by: You ain't just whistling dixie.. ()
Date: November 27, 2012 09:20AM

Harumph Wrote:
> Fast Forward to Today... Wrote:
> -----
> > lbss 82 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Way back in the late 70's it was Murphy in
> the
> > > morning on WEEL radio.
> >
> >
> > Allegedly Pat Murphy now spends a great deal of
> > time using the name "Commander Bunny" on
> internet
> > message boards and being an angry, old mess of
> a
> > person. No bullshit.
> >
> > Very much like "Legend in his own Mind" Paul
> > Bicknell and his epically bad behavior on the
> > shitty DCRTV website.
>
> Oh, come on. Davy Jones INVENTED radio, and he'd
> be the first to tell you so . . . over and over
> again. If you draw a line at age 60 in the radio
> industry, every person below that line has a "Paul
> Bicknell treated me like shit" story. Except for
> the people who never met him.

Trust me....You don't have to have met Paul Bicknell for him to treat you like shit. He actively seeks out people to attack. He openly hates everyone and everything in the industry and let's it be known, using pseudonyms of course. The only time he has anything good to say about a person is after they have passed, and that's probably because they can't refute his "He was such a good friend" garbage. Half his mental issues are because his butt-buddy Dave Hughes has allowed him to be a cunt to everyone for SO long. Dave is a piece of shit too...Most people just don't realize it.

Posted by: Atom Smash ()
Date: November 27, 2012 09:40AM

YDB Wrote:
> "Greaseman will be back on WTNT with Mike O'Meara
> starting in January."
>
> He is funnier than LFF
> only way i see the Grease coming back is LFF
> convincing Oncor or Wait nOt to buy the time

Greaseman's time is being underwritten, in part, by TMOS. By buying 4 hours of air time, they can combine their demographics and keep people listening longer, or lingering longer, as it were.

Posted by: hobbledogee ()
Date: November 29, 2012 04:56AM

Atom Smash Wrote:
> YDB Wrote:
> -----
> > "Greaseman will be back on WTNT with Mike
> O'Meara
> > starting in January."
> >
> > He is funnier than LFF
> > only way i see the Grease coming back is LFF
> > convincing Oncor or Wait nOt to buy the time
>
>
> Greaseman's time is being underwritten, in part,
> by TMOS. By buying 4 hours of air time, they can
> combine their demographics and keep people
> listening longer, or lingering longer, as it were.

The Grease is looking so old! Someone should sound the geeze alarm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRcNLXyHzIk&feature=plcp

Posted by: Eddie Gallaher ()
Date: November 29, 2012 06:47AM

"Dave is a piece of shit too...Most people just don't realize it."

I think he puts minamal effort into dcrtv these days(the nyc and et al pages he justs takes from other sites and yet he has hissy fit when some other d.c. area media outlet.... oh shit never mind) and then heads over to Reston Town Center to enjoy people watching.

the $50,000 a year he bragged about making from the site in a Washingtonian article a few years back must be down quite a bit with the constant begging for money on the site these days. its as bad as a public tv or radio station.

it had been better but he just goes with the status quo nowadays

the wash post and chris plante are both easy and obvious targets fish in a barrel kind of stuff

Posted by: YDB ()
Date: November 29, 2012 06:50AM

Wasn't the Greaseman's last job for a Jacksonville, florida classic rock station a couple years back?. He did the show from his house in Potomac I believe

yeah his bits and pieces are ancient but his delievery and effort to this listener are funnier than the aholeishness of LFF

Posted by: Excellent Observation ()
Date: November 29, 2012 07:36AM

Eddie Gallaher Wrote:
> "Dave is a piece of shit too...Most people just
> don't realize it."
>
> I think he puts minamal effort into dcrtv these
> days(the nyc and et al pages he justs takes from
> other sites and yet he has hissy fit when some
> other d.c. area media outlet.... oh shit never
> mind) and then heads over to Reston Town Center to
> enjoy people watching.
>
> the $50,000 a year he bragged about making from
> the site in a Washingtonian article a few years
> back must be down quite a bit with the constant
> begging for money on the site these days. its as
> bad as a public tv or radio station.
>
> it had been better but he just goes with the
> status quo nowadays
>
> the wash post and chris plante are both easy and
> obvious targets fish in a barrel kind of stuff

His obsession with The Post and Chris Plante has really escalated in the last year or so. My biggest gripe with Hughes and his site is his mailbag section. It's so far out there with nonsense that you seriously begin to wonder if Dave is reading the garbage he is posting. And for a guy who swears up and down about not sharing personal information, I know first had that's all bullshit.

Posted by: Acdc fmam ()
Date: November 29, 2012 07:48AM

Mad mike and Chris jagger - 107.3 fm in the early to mid 80s used to play a lot of rock. I think they were on in the afternoon.

Posted by: oh shiznit!!!! ()
Date: November 29, 2012 12:52PM

Wow, sure do remember some of those stations!!!! When radio was radio and the DJs knew what to play.

Now we get shit like Smeliot in the Morning!!!!!

Posted by: Memory Guy ()
Date: November 29, 2012 01:28PM

When WRQX was Q107 back in the 80's, they had a DJ named Sandy Weaver. I searched pics for her but couldn't find anything. She looked like Loni Anderson and Farrah Fawcett had a love child. Smokin!

Posted by: Deep in the South (Sandy Weaver) ()
Date: November 29, 2012 03:49PM

Memory Guy Wrote:
> When WRQX was Q107 back in the 80's, they had a DJ
> named Sandy Weaver. I searched pics for her but
> couldn't find anything. She looked like Loni
> Anderson and Farrah Fawcett had a love child.
> Smokin!

Sandy Weaver this past week became the co-host of Moby In the Morning, heard around Atlanta's northern environs on 106.1 WNGC and South 107 (WTSH-FM).

I first heard Sandy in 1979 when she was the late night disc jockey on Washington, DC's brand new Q107 (WRQX-FM).   She was an awesome CHR personality, exuding talent and excitement.  I moved from Baltimore to New York that fall but made it a point to listen to Sandy on trips home.  In 1984, I taped her and contributed the aircheck to ReelRadio.com, where someday it will be posted in my collection.  Sandy's time at Q107 culminated with her becoming the midday personality.

When I moved back to Baltimore in 1988, Sandy Weaver was still on Washington radio but now on rival CHR WAVA-FM, and still sounding great.  In 1992, overextended owner Emmis was forced to sell some stations, and WAVA was purchased by Salem.  It changed formats to Religious Talk.  Sandy was quickly picked up by DC's #1 station at the time, Country WMZQ-FM, where after a brief stint as morning news person, she became co-host of the morning show.  Her gobs of natural talent shone through with Country as they had with CHR.

Shortly after moving to Atlanta in 1994, I read in Billboard, when the venerable magazine covered radio, that Sandy's husband had been transferred to Atlanta, and Sandy was headed this way in June.  I knew that meant I would soon be hearing Sandy.  She was simply too talented not to land a job quickly.

Sure enough, Sandy first showed up doing fill on B98.5 (WSB-FM) and then handled weekends on Kicks 101-5 (WKHX-FM).  From there, it was on to full-time at Peach 94-9 (WPCH-FM), where she settled in afternoon drive.  She left the station, which had evolved to Lite FM (WLTM-FM), when Clear Channel decided to save money by voicetracking the shift.  Sandy returned to Kicks for weekends and then took middays at Eagle 106.7 (WYAY-FM), where she was also Music Director.

After Citadel blew up Eagle 106.7, Sandy concentrated on her "Voicework on Demand" business and then joined Moby's network for middays.  Over the past few years, I've gotten to know Sandy.  When I remarked to a friend who is an acquaintance of Sandy's that I had coffee with her, his comment was, "Isn't she a doll?"  That pretty much sums it up.

Arum Re-Ups With WSB
Back in 1998, a year after Mark Arum joined WSB as a traffic reporter, Metro Networks was still having Christmas parties.  Westwood One had not yet purchased Metro, and the Atlanta office was run by the legendary Dick Meeder.

The party that year was held at Villa Christina.  The traffic reporters were seated together at a couple of tables, and Metro management introduced each one.  On my way out, I said hi to Jason Durden, then B98.5's reporter.  Jason and I had corresponded when I was writing another radio column at the time.

As I approached the ballroom door, I heard my name and footsteps running after me.   Mark Arum introduced himself and said, "Your column is a hit at White Columns.  Everybody has it bookmarked."  It was a gesture that I appreciated more than he knew.  Whenever I have run into Mark at other events over the years, he has always been extremely cordial.  When you talk with Mark, you quickly realize he is a genuinely nice person.

Mark's likeability along with his talent and smarts have made him his own hit in Atlanta.  He now reports traffic on WSB Radio, B98.5 and WSB-TV, where he appears on camera every morning.  He does a talk show on WSB every Saturday afternoon.  He writes a weekly column, "Gridlock Guy," for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.  Mark also has done sports talk shows on WSB and substituted as the anchor on WSB's "Atlanta's Morning News."

It's a pleasure to congratulate Mark Arum on the contract that he just signed to keep him at WSB for another 5 years.

Dupree Enhances WSB Experience
My favorite feature on WSB's Atlanta's Morning News and on its Neal Boortz Show is the conversations with Washington Correspondent Jamie Dupree, who also is heard on Cox's WDBO/Orlando and WOKV/Jacksonville.

Dupree really knows his stuff and reports it with an even, calm demeanor.  His interest in and enjoyment of what he does really come through.  He comes across as completely objective, which certainly fits well with the unbiased nature of Atlanta's Morning News.

What strikes me, however, is he remains objective and confident during his conversations with the Talk Master, and that Boortz is respectful, rarely challenging Jamie as he would callers.  Neal apparently realizes the value of Dupree's presence and information.  Jamie Dupree has a knack for keeping us political junkies glued to the radio for his inside information and analysis.

Thanks for reading.  I would love to hear from you at roddyfreeman@bellsouth.net.  Follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/atlantaairwaves, and we'll follow you back.

Link to Rodney Ho's AJC Radio & TV Blog: http://blogs.ajc.com/radio-tv-talk/

Posted by: Oh Christ ()
Date: November 29, 2012 03:57PM

Roddy Freeman...Aren't you one of Dave Hughes' ass kissers?

Posted by: wenbsyiwll ()
Date: December 01, 2012 05:28PM

Kane

Posted by: M. Bartley ()
Date: June 08, 2013 01:05PM

I grew up in Fairfax from 1962 to 1975. And in 1968 at the age of 7, for Christmas I received an olive green JULIETTE AM Transistor radio and would turn it on late at night, stick it under my pillow and listen to WEEL play some of the great song from 68, 69, 70,
We live on University Dr. close enough to George Mason U that I could see the first built building on the campus from our front door step.

Does anyone remember some of the commercials between those times that aired on WEEL?
How bout the one for the "Rag Bag" it was that crazy little purple house that sat on Chain Bride Rd. going towards Vienna. I can't remember what it was that they sold there. And how bout "Jim Mckay Chevrolet (The Little Profit) their still there on University Dr. Oh the memories.

I let Fairfax to only go about 35 miles west to Leesburg where I still reside to this day, but I could never get the station out here, I feel like the one thing that I could take with me to remember, could at least be WEEL but that was't to be, I felt completely severed from the home I knew and loved so well

I loved Fairfax, I love and miss you WEEL

Michael

Posted by: -29- ()
Date: December 09, 2013 11:32PM

Let's not forget Marty "With The Party" Dempsey on B106.7.
On second thought, maybe he should be forgotten.

Posted by: Galita ()
Date: December 09, 2013 11:43PM

Smooth Jazz, 105.9

WMAL, A.M. 63

Dc101 Rocks the Nation

WGAY was my parents'favorite station...easy listening

Posted by: Tpills ()
Date: December 10, 2013 12:41AM

Posted by: Opinion ()
Date: December 10, 2013 01:04AM

Z104 104.1

Posted by: Scottyd ()
Date: December 10, 2013 06:28AM

Disco Stu Wrote:
>>
> The Arrow 98.7 - Cerphe
>
> More?

The Arrow was 94.7 (WARW) with Cerphe

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.