HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What to do with houseguest after Thanksgiving
Posted by: Sugarbeat ()
Date: November 18, 2012 09:28AM

I've got a gurpest visiting for 6 days and need some suggestions as to what to do with her AG dyer Thanksgiving. We won't be shopping Black Friday and would prefer avoiding shopping meccas. Any suggestions from folk who have experienced DC FXCO during e Thanksgiving holidays? Should we avoid the city? Are museums crowded? Any other recommendations? Places to see or avoid?

TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What to do with houseguest after Thanksgiving
Posted by: huh ()
Date: November 18, 2012 10:22AM

Sugarbeat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've got a gurpest visiting for 6 days and need
> some suggestions as to what to do with her AG dyer
> Thanksgiving. We won't be shopping Black Friday
> and would prefer avoiding shopping meccas. Any
> suggestions from folk who have experienced DC FXCO
> during e Thanksgiving holidays? Should we avoid
> the city? Are museums crowded? Any other
> recommendations? Places to see or avoid?
>
> TIA

Need clarification.

Is a "gurpest" human, or non-human?

Please translate "AG dyer Thanksgiving".

At any rate, 6 days is way too long. Send him/her/it home Friday.

Posted by: horrors ()
Date: November 18, 2012 10:30AM

Posted by: I guess I'm slow ()
Date: November 18, 2012 12:53PM

huh Wrote:
> Sugarbeat Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I've got a gurpest visiting for 6 days and need
> > some suggestions as to what to do with her AG
> dyer
> > Thanksgiving. We won't be shopping Black Friday
> > and would prefer avoiding shopping meccas. Any
> > suggestions from folk who have experienced DC
> FXCO
> > during e Thanksgiving holidays? Should we
> avoid
> > the city? Are museums crowded? Any other
> > recommendations? Places to see or avoid?
> >
> > TIA
>
> Need clarification.
>
> Is a "gurpest" human, or non-human?
>
> Please translate "AG dyer Thanksgiving".
>
> At any rate, 6 days is way too long. Send
> him/her/it home Friday.

Haha when I read this post I actually wondered what a "gurpest" was!

Posted by: Comfort Food ()
Date: November 18, 2012 01:00PM

Sugarbeat Wrote:
> Thanksgiving.

375 oven - constant basting til desired doneness is achieved. Already pre-stuffed and herbed from the Thanksgiving dinner so very little effort involved.

Yummy!

Posted by: Huh?Wha? ()
Date: November 18, 2012 01:04PM

Sugarbeat Wrote:
>
> TIA

Could you try that again, in English this time?

Posted by: Mama703 ()
Date: November 18, 2012 01:15PM

Holy crap, 6 days is ridiculous! I feel for you, as I have had a Klingon mother in law that sat in my couch for 2 weeks once. As far as things to do, the National Harbor has some Christmas events. You could also hit up the Smithsonian on a weekday to avoid crowds. Don't forget there are local wineries that are open. That brings me to my most important recommendation....stock up on wine and patience....you will need it!

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: November 18, 2012 01:52PM

Put them on the Metro and tell them to get off at the Benning Rd stop.

Posted by: Worked for Me ()
Date: November 18, 2012 01:52PM

On the night before Thanksgiving, get her drunk and ask her for sex. If she says yes, you win.

If she says no, then stare at her all day on Thanksgiving like you want her.

She will find a reason to leave right after dinner.

Either way, you win.

Posted by: So confused ()
Date: November 18, 2012 02:57PM

Sugarbeat Wrote:
>
> TIA

What the fuck is a gurpest?

ancient-aliens-invisible-something-meme-

Posted by: nazar ()
Date: November 18, 2012 03:47PM

I'm sure "gurpest" is a typo. Probably meant to type "gurkha".

If so, do anything the gurkha wants to do. They are fierce soldiers that are very good with those wicked curved knives.

If you value your life, DO NOT piss off a gurkha!

Posted by: outside ()
Date: November 18, 2012 05:44PM

check into local park events - weather should be nice, could go for a walk or a bike ride

georgetown is a fun place to walk around

the new bond movie is pretty good

you can burn a lot of hours at the zoo, then find a good place to eat

visit a local winery or drive out to the country to visit one

Posted by: agree ()
Date: November 18, 2012 05:52PM

Joe B. Wrote:
> Put them on the Metro and tell them to get off at
> the Benning Rd stop.

that's the funniest post yet!!

Posted by: Uncle Buck ()
Date: November 18, 2012 05:57PM

Might try the Anchorage Motel in Fairfax City. City cops do not allow that kind of activity in that place. And they have free HB o

Posted by: MetroRider ()
Date: November 18, 2012 06:44PM

Ah, sugarbeat(), I know our ways seem strange to outsiders, but we are really a simple folk. We sing, dance, beat drums, and take taxpayer money and give it to each other. If we do not drive you out, then you too will be part of the village, and you too can participate in our rituals and practices. We may occasionally ask you to organize a stoning or a burning at the stake. This is an honor.

Take the gurpest to the Shady Grove Metro Stop in our sister village, Mary-land. Tell him/her/it that you are going to play one of our favorite games. Tell him/her/it you will be at the Springfield Franconia Metro Stop, and for him/her/it to meet you there as quickly as possible. Buy the gurpest a fare card with .50 cents less than what is needed to exit at the Bethesda Metro station. Explain, without revealing too much, that he/she/it will soon know one of our most sacred totems, the Add Fare Machine. Wish him/her/it well. You won't see the gurpest for days.

Posted by: Beltway Racer ()
Date: November 18, 2012 08:51PM

I would take them for a spin on the 495 Express Lanes and count how many cars try to run you off the road swerving at the last minute when they finally decide they don't want to pay $12.00 per mile...

Posted by: peee yewwwww ()
Date: November 18, 2012 09:16PM

houseguests and fish stink after 3 days. It is important that they WANT to leave the morning of the fourth day.

don't let them have any leftovers, For meals on the third day, start opening random cans and plopping the food in the messy microwave.

stop emptying the kitty litter

pile your smelliest laundry right outside the guest room door

if they like the room cold, turn up the heat unbearably high, if hot, crank the A/C, and don't give them blankets.

have a loud fight with some neighbor in the house - beforehand, ask the neighbor to bring a gun [guests don't need to know its not loaded] - if neighbor can mention "zombies any day now" a few times in the rant, that is an added bonus.

Posted by: Playfairnow ()
Date: November 18, 2012 09:31PM

Try looking at the Post's Weekend section for ideas.

I hear that Mt Vernon is nice this time of year if its not too cold a day to wait in line.

Harper's Ferry is interesting if that isn't too far a drive from where you are.

Take em to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington Cemetery. That is very moving to watch - I think the guard changes every 15 minutes? Also the breadth of tombstones stretching as far as the eye can see is not the same as in pictures. The solemn effect will bring em up short.

In D.C. the Gothic National Cathedral is very interesting as also the Romanesque National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. Oh and the Franciscan Monastery has tours of the church and replicas of the catacombs of Rome, as well as a copy of the tomb of Jesus, and His brithplace in Bethlehem - quite fascinating.

In addition to wineries already mentioned, there are also microbreweries around.

Posted by: Candy Bar Guy ()
Date: November 18, 2012 09:43PM

Just leave a huge shit in their toilet...unflushed of course.

Posted by: Jimmy Saville ()
Date: November 18, 2012 09:43PM

if it's a female gurpest, it's a different story. teenage female gurpest is best.

Posted by: Your Gurpest ()
Date: November 18, 2012 10:33PM

Don't bother to enetertain me. I'm canceling my trip to your sorry ass, run-down garden apratment on Route One.

Posted by: Their back ()
Date: November 17, 2013 02:52PM

Help the gurpest is coming back this year and demands to be entertained or else. What can I do?

Posted by: Julia Childs ()
Date: November 17, 2013 03:33PM

It depends on what parts of gurpest remain after Thanksgiving. They make a delicious pot pie.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: November 17, 2013 04:31PM

Put her in a cab enroute to Anacostia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2013 04:31PM by 496.

Posted by: Ollie's Trolley ()
Date: November 17, 2013 06:43PM

Ford's Theatre... "A Christmas Carol". A wonderful way to kick off the Christmas season.

Posted by: Have Them Wait ()
Date: November 17, 2013 07:11PM

Send them out to wait for you in the middle of the night for the black Friday sales. Provide them with some leftovers so they don't get too hungry. You'll get a good sleep for the night, then driver over to the store about 6 a.m. and take they're spot in the line.

Then, send them home to your house to sleep for the day.

Problem Solved!

Posted by: Zzzzzzzzz ()
Date: November 17, 2013 07:53PM

Wineries? This is the dullest area in the US.

Posted by: From Houston TX, lovin ffx ()
Date: November 17, 2013 08:01PM

Zzzzzzzzz Wrote:
> Wineries? This is the dullest area in the US.

You obviously haven't travelled much.

If you aren't happy in Fairfax (rated 3rd best place to live) you likely won't be happy in other places. You can move but your problems will still follow you.

Posted by: Dullest wine ()
Date: November 17, 2013 08:02PM

Is the Dullest winery on the airport grounds?

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: November 17, 2013 09:18PM

Iwo Jima memorial is a good place for a gay blowjob

Date: November 17, 2013 09:42PM

Been to Houston. Can see why you find Fairfax so "exciting".

Date: November 17, 2013 09:49PM

Dullest wine Wrote:
> Is the Dullest winery on the airport grounds?

Even the jokes are dull.

Posted by: Gurpest are mean ()
Date: November 20, 2014 08:04PM

I tried hard to keep it entertained last year, but this year it demands excitement. Any ideas.

Posted by: Tourist Authority ()
Date: November 20, 2014 08:48PM

There aren't a lot of clues about the glurp's favorite pastimes, but here are some thoughts: Eastern Market for breakfast, hike on the C&O towpath, Phillips Collection, Roosevelt Island, River Farm, Old Town Alexandria for strolling-lunch-people-watching, Hirschhorn and National Gallery sculpture gardens, large bowl of soup from Pho 77 or Pho Sate, Great Falls National Park, Manassas Battlefield, drive the Skyline Drive, lunch or dinner from Taco Bamba, Ray's the Steaks, Ben's Chili Bowl, new Air and Space Museum near Dulles, walk with or without dog on W&OD trail, ride bike on W&OD trail, Woodlawn Plantation/Frank Lloyd Wright, Mt. Vernon, Arlington Cemetery, Sharpsburg/Antietam battlefield, Ball's Bluff battlefield (Leesburg), Mason Neck complex of parks and wildlife refuge, National Cathedral, National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.

Posted by: ennairam ()
Date: November 20, 2014 09:41PM

Go to the National Gallery of Art and all the Smithsonian museums you can *on Thanksgiving Day*: personal experience taught me it's the best day of the year to visit. Everyone's home slaving over dinner or glued to the TV, watching the games; unlike those fools, you'll have the National Mall to yourselves.

If you don't want to cook that day, eat your dinner in the Mitsitam Café at the National Museum of the American Indian. It serves several Native American options (and I don't mean turkey and cranberry sauce) for Thanksgiving dinner. Too bad they were out of the venison (from the Northwest) that day! :(

Then, on Friday or Saturday (or both), take the MARC Penn Line up to Baltimore's Inner Harbor. No swarms of the sweaty at this time of the year...just enough people to keep the place looking lively. It's way better than Black Friday at the mall. Maybe you can catch Canton, Fort McHenry, or the Museum of Visionary Art. If you go on Friday, you can leave on the Camden Line and be home just in time for TV and a good night's sleep (or whatever). Take it from my houseguest that year: he says he'd rather go inside the pavilions to warm up during the winter than cool down during the summer. He bought his postcards from Baltimore (*not* DC) and sent them to his peeps.

Other than that, catch a cidery, a craft brewery, or both that weekend. They're less boring than wineries.

Posted by: Top House Guest Consultant ()
Date: November 20, 2014 09:52PM

You need to ask Kato Kaelin the USA's #1 "House guest" authority. But heres ome picks..

The obvious big ones are Mt Vernon the GW Parkway, , Subway ride to the mall from Pentagon City Metro.To L'Enfant station, see the Air and Space
Museum and National Archives, Then a Car ride round DC by the, White House, and Capitol, Supreame Court. Tour ride thru Arlington Cemetary if its a nice day , Tomb of the Unknown Soldier changing of the guard, JFK, RFK's grave site and many others. If they are looking for a swim or workout go to one of the Fairfax County Rec centers, 8 dollars for a non resident but an great eye opener to some one that uses a Ymca back home. Annapolis Md is always a hit , boats and sailboats, the US Naval Academy, Seafood, bars, Boatyard Bar and Grill in Eastport is a great place to eat. If there sportspeople, hunters, the NRA museum in Fairfax is a intresting visit. Baltimores inner harbor is a great place to visit too.

Posted by: Tourist Authority ()
Date: November 21, 2014 09:39AM

Kudos to Top House Guest Consultant for the excellent suggestions. There is one more that I forgot to mention, that has always been a hit whenever I've taken out-of-towners there, and that is the Interior Department museum, in the Department headquarters building on Virginia Avenue near the OAS building. Admission is free, but take some ID. It is a working federal building and you'll have to go through security. I doubt it is open on Thanksgiving Day, but you said you have 6 days to fill up. The museum has separate exhibits for each component of the Interior Department, which means it covers a lot of ground (get it?). National Park Service, Fish & Wildlife, etc, each have their own exhibit. I think the gems and minerals are better than those at the Smithsonian Natural History, but that is subjective on my part. While there, you can go to a lobby shop dedicated to selling Native American arts and crafts. There is a bit of kitsch but lots of serious pieces, so there is something for everyone. Also off the lobby, there was, at one time, a room with the facility brochure for every NPS property. I assume it is still there. Just standing there among the literature racks was an experience. Who knew? NPS has hundreds of property under its care, in addition to Yosemite and Yellowstone.

Posted by: a good idea ()
Date: November 22, 2014 11:34PM

There's a contractor who's hiring

Posted by: Ters2maeyes ()
Date: November 24, 2014 08:48PM

Some of these are so funny I laughed until I cried.

Here's another. Buy a copy of A Christmas Story and play it in a loop saying TBS has decided this year to do it from Thanksgiving straight thru til Christmas. Exactly 3.5 times through the gurpest will be gone. That might be too kind as its a great movie so feel free to tell them TBS switched to Christmas Vacation and play that.

If that doesn't work the popper in the toilet is worth a try.

Posted by: some tips ()
Date: November 24, 2014 08:54PM

There are many uses for leftover houseguest after Thanksgiving meal. The more important thing is to cut them up into nice little peaces so they fit in your freezer. Do this asap after the meal. Don't forget to save the giblets.

Posted by: Gurpest feelings hurt ()
Date: November 24, 2014 09:00PM

I feel unwanted and ashamed. Look at all the fuss over me. I'll just stay home with my cats, crafts, and quilts. Don't worry about me, I won't be visiting. I won't miss seeing the fabric museum nor sharing tapes of my harpsichord performance from 1977 (a classic) with you all. Happy Thanksgiving, really.

Posted by: Mansman ()
Date: November 24, 2014 09:02PM

Guys,

What is THE WORST place your girlfriend/wife ever took you? The fabric museum sounds pretty bad.

Posted by: Oh man! ()
Date: November 24, 2014 09:04PM

A George Michael concert in the 1980s...ashamed to admit

Posted by: Uman ()
Date: November 24, 2014 09:06PM

Ferguson, MO

Posted by: Xxgg ()
Date: November 24, 2014 09:07PM

Hybla Valley

Posted by: justmesee ()
Date: November 24, 2014 09:14PM

just give in and take her shopping at the Springfield Town Center. If you get bored, ride the metro into DC.

Posted by: Gurpest ()
Date: November 09, 2015 09:05PM

Last year I went to paper moon on thanksgiving. I have also seen the Great Plains at the air and space museum. What would be a fun activity this year? I plan to chill with my boy the bunny man near midgetville if that helps.

Posted by: gurpest ()
Date: November 16, 2017 09:48PM

After several years break I am coming back to the DC area. Where do I go after turkey day

Posted by: Dr. Memory ()
Date: November 16, 2017 10:27PM

Take the gurpest on metro to King Street station, and walk down to the Torpedo Factory. Look around the art studios, check out the waterfront. Walk back to King Street station on the opposite side of the street. Pick out someplace cozy-looking and have lunch. If you take your time, that whole process ought to use up at least 3-4 hours, and set you up for a nice nap when you get back home. If the weather is nice, metro to Rosslyn, visit the Marine Corps memorial, then walk across Key Bridge to Georgetown. Have lunch in Georgetown, then meander to Foggy Bottom metro station and then back home. The Botanical Garden (near the Capitol) has elaborate seasonal displays, and is fun to wander through just to see the collection. If the gurpest likes seeing Civil War sites, Balls Bluff in Leesburg, Harper's Ferry, WV, Antietam (Sharpsburg) MD, Manassas, VA and Fredericksburg, VA all are within easy driving distance of Fairfax County. The Lincoln Memorial, Viet Nam memorial, Korean War memorial, and the exquisite DC WWI memorial are all clustered in the western end of the Mall. WWII memorial is also fairly close to the others. The National Gallery has a magnificent collection, and also presents special exhibitions dedicated to specific artists. Admission is free, and there are multiple gift shops with all kinds of art-related products, including cards, books, wearing apparel, posters, etc. Mt. Vernon, Gunston Hall. Woodlawn. River Farm.

Posted by: Robbert ()
Date: November 17, 2017 09:41PM

Sugarbeat Wrote:
>
> TIA

Just go back to your inpatient mental hospital ward on Fri. and your gurpest can stay in your trailer and take care of your pet goat.

Posted by: Historian ()
Date: November 17, 2017 10:04PM

When is doubt go to Baltimore.

Posted by: alien watcher ()
Date: November 18, 2017 09:47AM

Is the gurpest coming again?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.