HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Giant stores are going to prepackaged meat
Posted by: Butcher ()
Date: November 22, 2012 04:33PM

The joke is the meat won't be handled less. Now the butcher cuts it and then it's wrapped. It is in the case no more than 3 days.But prepackaged is different. it will be packaged to be in the case longer. Now prepacked hamburger is never dated more than 3 days but if you look at the date on the package itself, it could have been packaged at least a week before. When the package is priced only then does it get 3 days so people will think it's fresh. Same thing for the upcoming prepackaged meat. Being packed in gas,it can sit for days in the warehouse before being shipped to stores, where it will be dated and put out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Comfort Food ()
Date: November 23, 2012 08:43AM

Butcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The joke is the meat won't be handled less. Now
> the butcher cuts it and then it's wrapped. It is
> in the case no more than 3 days.But prepackaged is
> different. it will be packaged to be in the case
> longer. Now prepacked hamburger is never dated
> more than 3 days but if you look at the date on
> the package itself, it could have been packaged at
> least a week before. When the package is priced
> only then does it get 3 days so people will think
> it's fresh. Same thing for the upcoming
> prepackaged meat. Being packed in gas,it can sit
> for days in the warehouse before being shipped to
> stores, where it will be dated and put out.

I actually have no idea if anything you have said here is true or not. We can assume you do NOT have agenda so "it is true" for this reply at least.

So...my questions are "why should we as end-consumers care?" and "Are you saying that meat packed "in gas" is in some manner inferior to meat not packed in gas?".

These are real questions from someone who eats meat, not cuts meat...

=======

Yes, of COURSE these questions spring from thinking "straw man" for most arguments against change.

Posted by: Fred Sanantonio ()
Date: November 23, 2012 09:50AM

Do Super H-Marts and Lotte's have aisles devoted to American food only?

Posted by: Comfort Food ()
Date: November 23, 2012 12:53PM

Fred Sanantonio Wrote:
> Do Super H-Marts and Lotte's have aisles devoted
> to American food only?

It's all American food.

And that's not kidding.

Date: November 23, 2012 03:39PM

Comfort Food Wrote:
> Butcher Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The joke is the meat won't be handled less. Now
> > the butcher cuts it and then it's wrapped. It
> is
> > in the case no more than 3 days.But prepackaged
> is
> > different. it will be packaged to be in the
> case
> > longer. Now prepacked hamburger is never dated
> > more than 3 days but if you look at the date on
> > the package itself, it could have been packaged
> at
> > least a week before. When the package is priced
> > only then does it get 3 days so people will
> think
> > it's fresh. Same thing for the upcoming
> > prepackaged meat. Being packed in gas,it can
> sit
> > for days in the warehouse before being shipped
> to
> > stores, where it will be dated and put out.
>
> I actually have no idea if anything you have said
> here is true or not. We can assume you do NOT have
> agenda so "it is true" for this reply at least.
>
> So...my questions are "why should we as
> end-consumers care?" and "Are you saying that meat
> packed "in gas" is in some manner inferior to meat
> not packed in gas?".
>
> These are real questions from someone who eats
> meat, not cuts meat...
>
> =======
>
> Yes, of COURSE these questions spring from
> thinking "straw man" for most arguments against
> change.

That's a really good question. I had to think about what to say. There really isn't any reason for the average consumer to care. I don't merchandise as much as I used to because I've found in a lot of locations people just don't have the time or skills to cook as they did years ago. We don't even have a price for such things as shell steaks anymore. Part of the retail business involves convincing the consumer to buy whether it's worth buying or not. There isn't any reason for the butter you buy to be yellow except some study found yellow more appealing than white. Most people think bright red is an appealing color for fresh meat. It's not, brown is a natural color. Red is the iron in blood turning to rust from oxygen. Gases will keep the meat bright red, making people think it's a fresh cut. My job is to provide a truely fresh product as opposed to a product that only appears to be fresh.I guess all I can say is I see my job as providing something worth its value as opposed to something that aims to the lowest denominator because the powers that be know you won't know any better. This is the erosion of American quality.

Posted by: BC res ()
Date: November 23, 2012 03:49PM

The Giant on Burke Centre used to be filled with hotties working the registers and MILFs shopping there. Now it seems to be middle eastern cashiers and illegals shopping or stealing there.

Posted by: WestfieldDad ()
Date: November 23, 2012 10:56PM

Butcher Wrote:
> Comfort Food Wrote:
> -----
> > Butcher Wrote:

> >
> > I actually have no idea if anything you have
> said
> > here is true or not. We can assume you do NOT
> have
> > agenda so "it is true" for this reply at
> least.
> >
> > So...my questions are "why should we as
> > end-consumers care?" and "Are you saying that
> meat
> > packed "in gas" is in some manner inferior to
> meat
> > not packed in gas?".
> >
> > These are real questions from someone who eats
> > meat, not cuts meat...
> >
> > =======
> >
> > Yes, of COURSE these questions spring from
> > thinking "straw man" for most arguments against
> > change.
>
> That's a really good question. I had to think
> about what to say. There really isn't any reason
> for the average consumer to care. I don't
> merchandise as much as I used to because I've
> found in a lot of locations people just don't have
> the time or skills to cook as they did years ago.
> We don't even have a price for such things as
> shell steaks anymore. Part of the retail business
> involves convincing the consumer to buy whether
> it's worth buying or not. There isn't any reason
> for the butter you buy to be yellow except some
> study found yellow more appealing than white. Most
> people think bright red is an appealing color for
> fresh meat. It's not, brown is a natural color.
> Red is the iron in blood turning to rust from
> oxygen. Gases will keep the meat bright red,
> making people think it's a fresh cut. My job is to
> provide a truely fresh product as opposed to a
> product that only appears to be fresh.I guess all
> I can say is I see my job as providing something
> worth its value as opposed to something that aims
> to the lowest denominator because the powers that
> be know you won't know any better. This is the
> erosion of American quality.

It's not just the packing. Without a butcher, you can't get a trimmed/tied/just the size you want/from the cut you prefer like the one I just rotisseried from Harris Teeter. Admittedly Harris Teeter doesn't hang sides in their meat locker, but you'll never get that kind of customization Pennsylvania.

What Giant (Ahold) doesn't understand and Harris Teeter/Wegmans do is, Fairfax/Loudoun have enough people with upper middle/low rich wealth/incomes to demand and get semi-custom products when they want them. They go to Costco or the web for undifferentiated stuff. The semi-customized products, the kind of butchering that Fairfax wants/can afford, are "mass customized" -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_customization

And, if Fairfax residents can't get mass customized, they switch from the Giant at Franklin Farm to the Harris Teeter on Sunrise.

Posted by: special ed ()
Date: November 24, 2012 08:59AM

Giant has the hottest checkout girls.

I will shop there if only for that reason.

Posted by: Journeyman Meatcutter ()
Date: November 24, 2012 05:04PM

What Ahold does not understand is in this area people like to have service while they shop. They want to get custom cut meat, They want to be able to speak to someone that knows meat and what to do with it. Giant over trained the old meat cutters but we could answer any questions the customers asked. Not today. None of the workers hired in the last 10 years knows much about meat and many do not speak english.
Customers for years paid the higher prices at Giant but got anything they wanted. We did not say NO. Today we are always saying No, we do not do/carry that anymore but they blame the loss in meat busness to the meatcutters. They will find out when the busness all goes away with their new plan to bring in pre cut meat. They ask the old guys nothing. Just lead us blindly along and keep making the same mistakes over and over
Lies, Lies and more Lies

Date: November 24, 2012 07:44PM

We were told the meat department was always a money losing department which was ok when Giant was a family owned and family/ community oriented business.
Now, with owners in the Netherlands, and being run by a business in Boston, profits are most important. There aren't any ties to the community. Most of the executives and personnal in Landover quit or were shoved out for this new philosphy.
Butchers are about the last persons in the store that will try to do what you want, when you want (at least the old school trained ones).

Posted by: justin81 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 04:33PM

giant is a horrible company to work for i put a app in at the one downt the street from my house to work in meat dept. I wanted to woqrk there for convienience i could walk to work and not take 2 buses. I was working for bjs wholesale clubs meat dept and was getting fed up with the way the company was run. Another giant called and desperatly needed help in the meat dept and said i would be perfect for the job and told me exactly what i needed to hear to think it would be a good idea. I didnt think and took the job me and my daughter had great insurance through bjs and i had a for the most part steady scehdule and actually felt somewhat appreciated for the work i put in i like to stay busy cause it makes the time go by faster not because i want to help the company in any way as far as im concerned all the higher ups can burn in hell and probably will for the way they treat people. Anyway my first couple months where good at giant i was working alot and getting good pay checks so i was like ok this is alright why is every other employee so miserable. All at once the employees that were out from injuries and being pregnant and it was the end of summer. just like that i went from managment telling me what a great job im doing to not looking at me. I now hhave hardly any hours and lost my good insurance and i still take 2 buses to work. they lied to me used me and when they where done fucked me in the ass without any lube i can barely make ends meet i have no money in my pocket and i want to kick the shit out of those mother fuckers that hired me. i said when i was hired dont bring me on if you are gonna play with the scedule trying to save money ohhhhh noooo we dont do that here. We had a meeting today on being more happy i asked the moron running it how am i suposed to be happy if i dont have any money and cant pay the bills, why should i be happy about being expected to do 8 hours of work in 5 hrs. it is putting a major strain on my relationship and i hate waking up in the morning and i hate doing a good job for a company that lied to me and and shows no remorse for doing so. and the pharmicist is a huge bitch she labeled me a drug seeker cause of the perscription i take it took some adjusting going from the meds i was used to taking my insurance paid for to the shitty generic ones that dont work and landed me in the hospitol. She broke the hipa law and called other pharmacies (i reported her its being investigated) telling them i was a problem thats when i lost it i told the gm to get fucked and called the head of hr since then nothing has changed and i dont expect it to i dont believe anything they tell me and currently looking for another job and strongly considering just quitting even though i dont have another job yet i think it would be more healthy for me and the sense of urgency might give me more motivation. They are THE WORST COMPANY i ever worked for and after all this is done i will go out of my way to never set foot in a giant ever again.

Posted by: Your English Teacher ()
Date: February 05, 2013 09:48PM

Run-on sentences. Poor grammar. Rambling. Too long. Your post gets an 'F'.

Posted by: MaybeKeepStuffToYourself ()
Date: February 05, 2013 10:21PM

justin81 Wrote:
> .....They are THE WORST COMPANY i ever
> worked for and after all this is done i will go
> out of my way to never set foot in a giant ever
> again.

Truth is, I don't think they want you in the store.

Posted by: Farm Fresh ()
Date: February 07, 2013 07:24AM

Buy a Freezer, get farm fresh beef, some farms butcher after the whole cow is sold, and flash freeze. USDA inspected. Cant compare to store bought Meats for taste and quality and its Local, not part of a Profit Making Corporation based outside of the USA. You can also get Pork and depending on the farm you may get Eggs or other things. Closest here to the NOVA area are either Winchester or Stafford so it is a drive, but 400 pounds of meat can go a long ways, we still have some from 2010 in the freezer, time to make another run.

Posted by: edbassmaster ()
Date: February 07, 2013 08:25AM

As with everything it's about cutting costs wherever possible. Nothing like farm fresh t-bones and new york strips! mmmmgood!

I'll bet that the prepackaged meat winds up being plenty fresh enough for human consumption and still plenty good as well.

Years ago a 400lb man would eat a rib eye steak completely raw every friday night at Mortons of Crystal City. Needless to say he's no longer with us.

The autopsy revealed 193lbs of semi-digested meat in his intestines!

He died of suffocation and distension. ew garohos

Date: February 11, 2013 10:23AM

Several executives resigned the same day a couple of weeks ago. There was an emergency conference call to address the situation. Some of the executives had just joined the company but saw what a mess it was. The rats are deserting a sinking ship.

Posted by: FykEY ()
Date: February 11, 2013 12:25PM

The only thing giant at Giant are the prices -- and, of course, the egos and arrogance of the unionized workers.

Pre-packaged meat is fine --- it will be safer for those who choose to eat the blood and flesh of another animal.

Now if only Giant will do something about the rotten fruits and vegetables infested with insects on sale...

Posted by: WxTcX ()
Date: February 11, 2013 12:29PM

Butcher Wrote:
> We were told the meat department was always a
> money losing department which was ok when Giant
> was a family owned and family/ community oriented
> business.
> Now, with owners in the Netherlands, and being
> run by a business in Boston, profits are most
> important. There aren't any ties to the community.
> Most of the executives and personnal in Landover
> quit or were shoved out for this new philosphy.
> Butchers are about the last persons in the
> store that will try to do what you want, when you
> want (at least the old school trained ones).

Bingo --- and why they are being eliminated --- better late than never.

BTW -- I still have not forgiven them for canning (no pun intended) O'Donna Mathews --- the Betty-Crockerized chick now in that job just is just so not boinkable.

And I am even more angry that they changed the self-scanners so that I can no longer use my 992's there. That's just wrong.

Posted by: UnionBuster ()
Date: February 11, 2013 01:39PM

Gimmee a break. The meat industry in this country went to "primal" cuts 20 years ago -- big chunks like loins that get cut into steaks at the store. When was the last time you saw a half-carcass hanging in the back of a butcher shop? All a so-called butcher does now days is pull the primal out of the box, pull off the shrink wrap and run it through the band saw and package the steaks in those cute little trays. All they are doing is moving that last part of the process up the supply chain a step.

Posted by: v7hd4 ()
Date: February 11, 2013 02:29PM

UnionBuster Wrote:
> Gimmee a break. The meat industry in this country
> went to "primal" cuts 20 years ago -- big chunks
> like loins that get cut into steaks at the store.
> When was the last time you saw a half-carcass
> hanging in the back of a butcher shop? All a
> so-called butcher does now days is pull the primal
> out of the box, pull off the shrink wrap and run
> it through the band saw and package the steaks in
> those cute little trays. All they are doing is
> moving that last part of the process up the supply
> chain a step.

Half the time they don't even do that. The whole damn primal, shrink wrap and all, is lobbed into the bloody, nasty cooler and sold for a few pennies less per pound than the cut up and somewhat defatted crap.

All the fatties marauding through the Giant in their motorized scooters are foaming at the mouth when they savagely discover these primals and lob em into their baskets right after they pick up their heart and BP and diabetes meds from the right-next-to-the-meat-department pharmacy.

Only in these united states of amerika. FAIL.

Posted by: DH ()
Date: February 11, 2013 03:22PM

FykEY Wrote:
>
> Pre-packaged meat is fine --- it will be safer for
> those who choose to eat the blood and flesh of
> another animal.
>

I don't know if I believe that. Every time you hear about contaminated meat, it's coming from some meat processing/packageing plant somewhere.
When is the last time you heard of contaminated meat coming from a butcher shop or grocery store that does it in house?

Posted by: katiesmith ()
Date: February 11, 2013 03:41PM

I don't eat meat so I don't care. And if you really want unprocessed food then you need to join a co-op farm. Trust me none of the food in the United States sold in grocery stores is that safe or good for you.

Butcher Wrote:
> You might want to do your grocery shopping at
> safeway or Wegmans. Giant is doing away with fresh
> cut meats. They are building a facility in Pa,
> cutting and packing your steaks like Walmart and
> Target. They say it will be fresh, just ignore the
> funny taste.

Posted by: Veg-Intolerant ()
Date: February 11, 2013 03:54PM

"I don't eat meat..." "Trust me..."

Somehow that ain't workin' for me in a discussion about a butcher shop.

Posted by: katiesmith ()
Date: February 11, 2013 03:57PM

Meat is bad for you. You think your getting anything healthy at Safeway or Wegmans either. Prepackaging should be the least of your concerns about meat.

Veg-Intolerant Wrote:
> "I don't eat meat..." "Trust me..."
>
>
> Somehow that ain't workin' for me in a discussion
> about a butcher shop.

Date: February 11, 2013 08:33PM

Have a bunch of know it alls that do not have a clue what it takes to cut meat properly. You do not just run it thru a saw. Maybe at Cosco or wal-mart but not a real grocery stores like giant and Safeway. It take a craftsman to cut meat properly but that is all coming to an end. Who's next? Maybe you.

Posted by: izzy is missed big time ()
Date: February 12, 2013 06:38AM

CoinStar machines now offer Giant gift cards for no fee. So if you got a jar of coins around $30 or so and single you can pretty much cover your monthly grocery buying. Other grocery stores with these machines don't seem to offer this option.

One problem, be sure counting machine is counting correctly. They get out of whack (especially smaller coins)as people use them further away from the last calibration.

Va. dept. of weights and measures probably doesn't have the staff to enforce this and CoinS. knows this

Date: February 13, 2013 07:12AM

UnionBuster Wrote:
> Gimmee a break. The meat industry in this country
> went to "primal" cuts 20 years ago -- big chunks
> like loins that get cut into steaks at the store.
> When was the last time you saw a half-carcass
> hanging in the back of a butcher shop? All a
> so-called butcher does now days is pull the primal
> out of the box, pull off the shrink wrap and run
> it through the band saw and package the steaks in
> those cute little trays. All they are doing is
> moving that last part of the process up the supply
> chain a step.

If you think that's all that is involved in the meat cutting industry, you are woefully ignorant about merchandising meat.
The main point I'm trying to emphasize is that eliminating butchers or onsite meatcutting won't reduce the cost of that steak or roast at all. The savings don't go to the consumer, they go to Royal Aholes, a foreign interest. It's important to see how taking good paying jobs out of the area hurts us all in the revenue generated for taxes, for maintaining the middle class, and the ability to spend to maintain the other businesses in the area. All that money goes to the Netherlands and hurts us all. This isn't about the union, it's about taking decent paying jobs out of the area. Ahold is treating Giant like the owners of Hostess, trading on its good reputation while squeezing profits regardless of the long term damage to the area or employees.
I suggest Giant has a "the end justifies the means" sense of corporate culture.

Posted by: Poor Butchers ()
Date: February 13, 2013 01:23PM

I'm certainly not here to defend Royal-A but they face the same problem that many big companies face which is a consumer mind set almost solely driven by the lowest price tag.

I suspect 75%-90% of Giant's customers could care less about an in-house butcher shop, they only thing they're looking for is the absolute lowest price tag on a pierce of meat and therein lies Royal-A's problem which then becomes an (unemployment) problem for the butchers.

By the way - and this is the really sad part - as recently as the holidays, the butchers in the Loehmann's Plaza Giant claim they know nothing about this even thought the rumor has been out since last Summer. I wonder how long Giant is going to withhold the news from its workforce.

Posted by: KejkD ()
Date: February 13, 2013 02:20PM

Butcher Wrote:
> UnionBuster Wrote:
> -----
> > Gimmee a break. The meat industry in this
> country
> > went to "primal" cuts 20 years ago -- big
> chunks
> > like loins that get cut into steaks at the
> store.
> > When was the last time you saw a half-carcass
> > hanging in the back of a butcher shop? All a
> > so-called butcher does now days is pull the
> primal
> > out of the box, pull off the shrink wrap and
> run
> > it through the band saw and package the steaks
> in
> > those cute little trays. All they are doing is
> > moving that last part of the process up the
> supply
> > chain a step.
>
>
> If you think that's all that is involved in the
> meat cutting industry, you are woefully ignorant
> about merchandising meat.
> The main point I'm trying to emphasize is that
> eliminating butchers or onsite meatcutting won't
> reduce the cost of that steak or roast at all. The
> savings don't go to the consumer, they go to Royal
> Aholes, a foreign interest. It's important to see
> how taking good paying jobs out of the area hurts
> us all in the revenue generated for taxes, for
> maintaining the middle class, and the ability to
> spend to maintain the other businesses in the
> area. All that money goes to the Netherlands and
> hurts us all. This isn't about the union, it's
> about taking decent paying jobs out of the area.
> Ahold is treating Giant like the owners of
> Hostess, trading on its good reputation while
> squeezing profits regardless of the long term
> damage to the area or employees.
> I suggest Giant has a "the end justifies the
> means" sense of corporate culture.

Yes, yes, yes, blah blah blah

Tell that to the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of telecom workers
who lost their jobs in the last decade here. There used to be
a company called MCI? Remember them? They busted the AT&T monopoly
and created millions of new very high paying jobs right here in DMV -- with most of those jobs in Fairfax County. GTE, Telenet, (most of) Sprint, Nextel, British Telecom, ECI, GEISCO, Concert, Net 2000, and hundreds more --- GONE never return.

All those jobs (and MCI for that matter) are gone. And guess what, everyone moved on and got new jobs one way or another. Union-supporting and the lefty, commie-pinko typical bitching did not save their asses or their overpaid jobs.

Bitching about the the end of an era long past its prime is foolish.

Go cry to the people of Flint and Pontiac and Detroit -- there you might find some kindred souls to whom your bitching may find some willing listeners.

More to the point, if Giant customers cared about keeping butchers, they would stay. It's not relevant to 99.99 percent of shoppers regardless of where they shop. Go find a local buthershop -- there's one at Bull Run -- get a job there and take your customer (just one!) with you.

Posted by: TdyWM ()
Date: February 13, 2013 02:27PM

Veg-Intolerant Wrote:
> "I don't eat meat..." "Trust me..."
>
>
> Somehow that ain't workin' for me in a discussion
> about a butcher shop.

Better stay away from spinach. Especially that "triple-washed" bagged crap. (literally crap). And tomatoes. And jalapenos. And then the frankenfood served up by monsanto and their patented seeds! who knew that vegetables could be so tainted and toxic?

Not that I am a fan of eating the charred flesh and blood of selected animals but not others --- I, for one, have never understood the utter waste of putting millions of unwanted dogs and cats to death each year but not eating that flesh.

And that dude who wanted to fuck some strangers? Here you go --- pick one who eats a a cow but not a dog...stranger indeed.

Posted by: G7nyy ()
Date: February 13, 2013 02:34PM

DH Wrote:
> FykEY Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > Pre-packaged meat is fine --- it will be safer
> for
> > those who choose to eat the blood and flesh of
> > another animal.
> >
>
> I don't know if I believe that. Every time you
> hear about contaminated meat, it's coming from
> some meat processing/packageing plant somewhere.
> When is the last time you heard of contaminated
> meat coming from a butcher shop or grocery store
> that does it in house?

Because the in-house stuff ain't regulated or tested like the slaughter-house shit is.

If it were, a lot more of it would be recalled.

And if most amerikans were aware of how their meat was "processed" our obesity epidemic would be over -- none of it is humanely produced, millions of animals are abused every day, and most of the meat is contaminated.

A simple Google search will reveal scores of competent reviews and reveals of this fact.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+much+meat+is+contaminated&oq=how+much+meat+is+contaminated&aqs=chrome.0.57j62l3.3768&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Date: February 13, 2013 05:23PM

G7nyy Wrote:
> DH Wrote:
> -----
> > FykEY Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > >
> > > Pre-packaged meat is fine --- it will be
> safer
> > for
> > > those who choose to eat the blood and flesh
> of
> > > another animal.
> > >
> >
> > I don't know if I believe that. Every time you
> > hear about contaminated meat, it's coming from
> > some meat processing/packageing plant somewhere.
>
> > When is the last time you heard of contaminated
> > meat coming from a butcher shop or grocery
> store
> > that does it in house?
>
> Because the in-house stuff ain't regulated or
> tested like the slaughter-house shit is.
>
> If it were, a lot more of it would be recalled.
>
> And if most amerikans were aware of how their meat
> was "processed" our obesity epidemic would be over
> -- none of it is humanely produced, millions of
> animals are abused every day, and most of the
> meat is contaminated.
>
> A simple Google search will reveal scores of
> competent reviews and reveals of this fact.
>
>
>That is patently ridiculous. Peta? oh brother, try again. Everything that comes in and goes out (including hamburger) is tested and recorded. The reason a lot of meat isn't recalled is because It's SUPPOSED TO BE COOKED and many,if most people know it.If there is something wrong, it's mostly a stomach ache rather than death. Also, unlike a processing plant that will supply multiple atores, the local butcher shop has a limited serving area. If someone gets ill, the health authorities can check that store's records and operating procedures. And if you bother to read the articles, the contamination talked about occurs before the meat is shipped out to the stores.

Posted by: Karma is a Bitch ()
Date: February 13, 2013 05:51PM

KejkD Wrote:
> Yes, yes, yes, blah blah blah
>
> Tell that to the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of telecom
> workers
> who lost their jobs in the last decade here. There
> used to be
> a company called MCI? Remember them? They busted
> the AT&T monopoly
> and created millions of new very high paying jobs
> right here in DMV -- with most of those jobs in
> Fairfax County. GTE, Telenet, (most of) Sprint,
> Nextel, British Telecom, ECI, GEISCO, Concert, Net
> 2000, and hundreds more --- GONE never return.
>
> All those jobs (and MCI for that matter) are gone.
> And guess what, everyone moved on and got new jobs
> one way or another. Union-supporting and the
> lefty, commie-pinko typical bitching did not save
> their asses or their overpaid jobs.
>
> Bitching about the the end of an era long past its
> prime is foolish.
>
> Go cry to the people of Flint and Pontiac and
> Detroit -- there you might find some kindred souls
> to whom your bitching may find some willing
> listeners.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but could you possibly be any more arrogant? White collar telecomm workers have transferable skills, perhaps with some additional training. And everything in the IT field changes - usually very quickly. People expect that and they know they have to be flexible. But a butcher is a butcher, and has probably been one for years.

Show some compassion for other people. That could be you one day. In fact, if you work in IT it probably will be you one day, especially as you get older.

Date: February 13, 2013 07:18PM

Not to change the subject but the contamination recalls of meat I've seen is a precaution for the elderly or those with weakened immune systems. This is unlike the recalls of lettuce or onions that have resulted in deaths. Bacteria aren't space spores of an alien presence. It occurs in nature. Some common sense and following safe cooking guidelines are useful.

Posted by: Mr. Ed ()
Date: February 13, 2013 09:11PM

Europe is now dealing with a major pre-packaged meat scandal. Some products are turning up as high as 60% horse meat.

Date: February 13, 2013 10:44PM

They have told all cutters that giant will be going to prepackaged meat around November 2013. New contract then also because contract has to be changed to be able to bring in pre-cut meat. I wonder how do they know this will pass? They are already building plant in York Pa. Giant was build on service. Customers of giant do not alway care about price as long as they get great service do no after the price giant will lose customer when they start this. Fact: how many ecolirecalls did giant have when they ground all ground beef in house? 0. How many now it comes in pre-ground? 10

Posted by: Giant Sucks ()
Date: February 14, 2013 10:47AM

Giant and Ahold suck. At the Giant by me in Springfield they got rid of the butcher counter when they remodeled the store two years ago. Put in more freezers for frozen seafood! They also got rid of the bell or any way to ask a butcher for help. You simply have to hope the butcher comes out from the back while your standing around the meat area.

I hope when Ahold announces this formally to their customers there is a big backlash. There was a backlash in the same store when they removed the fresh fish counter a year before the remodel. So many people complained, it was back in three months. Not so when they took the butcher counter away. A lot of people complained and Ahold told them to pound sand. The only thing Ahold cares about is $$$$$.

Posted by: Big Lee ()
Date: March 17, 2013 07:12PM

Butcher Wrote:
> You might want to do your grocery shopping at
> safeway or Wegmans. Giant is doing away with fresh
> cut meats. They are building a facility in Pa,
> cutting and packing your steaks like Walmart and
> Target. They say it will be fresh, just ignore the
> funny taste.
My supervisor Gil Jocober from the Gaithersburg Giants says they already sold all the meat equipment. Saws and meat grinders.Giant is leasing them back until they go prepack meats He says no one is safe in Giant.

Posted by: Big Lee ()
Date: March 17, 2013 07:14PM

he really shouldn't be sharing that info being in upper management,Giant has been so hush, hush about it all.....unfair I say. let us know what's down the road so one can plan ones life !!!!

Posted by: meat cutter in PA ()
Date: March 22, 2013 03:13PM

I am currently a meat cutter for GIANT in Pennsylvania. The company has been VERY quiet and vague about all of this. Most cutters will be shifted around and, basically, pushed out. It's a shame because meat cutting is a skilled trade. Believe it or not it takes time and training. I'm 23 years old and have worked hard for this position. Luckily I have back up plans. I do, however, feel bad for a lot of the 30/40 something year old guys who have families and no options.
GIANT is emulating Wegmans and Walmart: Pre-packed, below average meat. Some people out there still value fresh cut QUALITY meat by a skilled butcher and I am one of those people. I will not be shopping at GIANT anymore.

Date: March 22, 2013 10:59PM

What Giant is doing is telling the consumers that they do not have a choice. They have to accept prepackaged meat and they do not care what they think. They think what they are doing is going to make them more money and that is the ONLY reason they are doing this. Meat cutting is a skilled craft and meat cutters make the most in the stores so getting rid of cutters saves them a lot of money to put in their bonuses. They do not give a rat shit what consumers want.

Posted by: WTF???? ()
Date: March 22, 2013 11:58PM

Prepackaged meats are starting to turn up at the local Giants around Springfield. It's in, "Nature's Promise," packaging and states, " Your satisfaction is guaranteed. Saw packages of pork chops and stew meat. Packaging had kind of a green tint to it so the meat did not look good to begin with.

Won't be buying the prepackaged crap. Guess I will be shopping elsewhere.

Posted by: Fed Up ()
Date: March 23, 2013 12:22AM

Quality and choice have really gone downhill at Giant. I buy most meat now at BJs - where I can actually see the butcher.

Date: March 23, 2013 06:42AM

The Nature's Promise name is misleading. People assume it means organic. It doesn't unless the package says organic. They mix it up so people will be confused. The stuff is overpriced to begin with and has a 28 day shelf life. if it doesn't sell, we are supposed to repack it and pretend it's something we have cut in store. Stop and Shop thinks it's being clever but people can tell the difference. I would never recommend prepackage to my customers. Years ago, Laura's Beef had it's own line of beef besides the hamburger, it was crap. This is the same pig with new lipstick.

Posted by: d ()
Date: June 02, 2013 12:05PM

it is true. ive been with giant 15 yrs n now im going to lose $300 a week in pay. i have a house im paying for n a single parent. how am i suppose to live????

Posted by: bks ()
Date: June 02, 2013 06:57PM

Fed Up Wrote:
> Quality and choice have really gone downhill at
> Giant. I buy most meat now at BJs - where I can
> actually see the butcher.

Not for much longer. A friend's kid works for BJs and expressed interest in the meat department. His manager told him it was on it's way out at BJs and everywhere else.

Posted by: pork ()
Date: June 02, 2013 07:01PM

I hope someone publishes a guide to all the scores of Smithfield brands so people can avoid buying Chinese poison.

What a stupid fucking country this is to let our enemies into our food supply.

Posted by: So sorry I voted for Obama ()
Date: June 02, 2013 07:02PM

What's with so many people on food stamps. It's frustrating to see them loading up on things at the supermarket.. things I can't afford to buy my family. And paying for it all with their government-issued debit cards. Shopping at all hours of the night with all their kids in tow. I wish I knew the Spanish phrase for "past your bedtime, little one."

Posted by: nomoredrama ()
Date: June 03, 2013 07:54AM

So sorry I voted for Obama Wrote:
> What's with so many people on food stamps. It's
> frustrating to see them loading up on things at
> the supermarket.. things I can't afford to buy my
> family. And paying for it all with their
> government-issued debit cards. Shopping at all
> hours of the night with all their kids in tow. I
> wish I knew the Spanish phrase for "past your
> bedtime, little one."

Have you not noticed the current state of the economy and how wages are stagnant/decreasing????

I know in Fairfax County you can make up to $1,600 or so ($10/hour 40 hours a week) and still get a small amount of food stamps.

Rent alone for a simple 1 bedroom in Fairfax County proper STARTS at $1,000 a month (sources: apartments.com, apartmentfinder.com). Most entry-mid level jobs without a degree pay between $8-12 per hour (sources: craigslist, careerbuilder, WaPo jobs section)

People (especially those with families) need ALL the help they can get.

Sure, you see a LOT of illegals (and i hate this too) but there are AMERICAN BORN people out here working for $10 an hour NOW who need the help.

Posted by: Awesome Superpower Bro! ()
Date: June 03, 2013 08:04AM

nomoredrama Wrote:

> Sure, you see a LOT of illegals (and i hate this
> too) but there are AMERICAN BORN people out here
> working for $10 an hour NOW who need the help.

Dude, how did you get THAT superpower? That's awesome! I mean x-ray vision would be kind of cool, but vision that can instantly spot an illegal immigrant? You could be making the big bucks working for ICE!

Posted by: ex-Lester ()
Date: June 03, 2013 09:55AM

They've stated they'll be shipping the unprocessed pork back to China. It'll create more jobs in China than it will here.

Posted by: pork ()
Date: June 03, 2013 10:03AM

ex-Lester Wrote:
> They've stated they'll be shipping the unprocessed
> pork back to China. It'll create more jobs in
> China than it will here.

So, they paid almost 5 billion for a U.S. company and they are going to exit the U.S. market?

Yeah, OK, that makes sense.

Date: July 21, 2013 06:08AM

Giant starting testing on prepackaged meats at Cardinal Forest Giant starting July 30, 2013. All other store projected to start March 2014. Meat cutters will get new positions based on seniority but at lower pay rate which is the whole reason of going to prepackaged meats, to save $$$$. Savings will not be passed on to consumers but put in Aholds pockets.

Date: July 21, 2013 07:12AM

The way Giant is being operated and the way money is being sucked out (failing equipment, lack of basic supplies), this chain won't be around much longer. Harris Teeter and Wegmans are taking over the area.

Posted by: Safeway ()
Date: July 21, 2013 07:25AM

Safeway in Annandale is the worst I have seen in a long time. I quit going there 2-3 years ago. Giant is better, but Harris Teeter beats Giant easily. HMart and China Wall are good for fresh vegetables.

Posted by: Andrew Mellon ()
Date: July 21, 2013 07:50AM

Anything that involves ridding us of greedy, socialist-democrat voting union thugs is a good thing.

Posted by: kroger ()
Date: July 21, 2013 09:09AM

Safeway Wrote:
> Safeway in Annandale is the worst I have seen in a
> long time. I quit going there 2-3 years ago. Giant
> is better, but Harris Teeter beats Giant easily.
> HMart and China Wall are good for fresh
> vegetables.

Harris Teeter is a failed grocery chain that was just swallowed up by the Kroger empire.

Date: July 21, 2013 10:14AM

It will be rough for Harris Teeter with the takover, adjusting to new systems,etc. I hope Kroger is more willing to work with the existing management and not just extracting money for shareholders. I work for Giant but when an outside company takes over, it sucks money out of the whole community for foreign interests.

Date: July 29, 2013 04:47PM

Senior meat utters will become meat clerks at a reduced hourly rate. As they go down the list of cutters and fill meat clerk jobs they will then start putting cutters into other department in the store. How would like to workforce a company for years at a craft to then e put in a lower job at a BIG different salery? We are talking about $10 a hour difference. How many could stand a hit like that? Not many

Date: November 05, 2013 02:13PM

Giant's are now getting their ground Beef from the New plant in York, Pa. By beginning of next year all meat will be cut and packaged in York, Pa in ALL Giant Food Stores. Many problems in test stores but Giant will go ahead with their plan no matter if the consumer likes it or not. Meats are turning way before out date, thickness is not what consumers want and NO SPECIAL CUT MEAT. Take what is there. All Meat cutters will become Meat Clerks at lower wage. See story here: http://www.ufcw400.org/2013/10/community-stands-for-good-jobs-and-quality-meat-at-giant-food/

Posted by: That guy ()
Date: November 05, 2013 03:32PM

That sucks! The pre-cut pre-packaged meat at our Giant in Springfield looks like shit and I refuse to buy ot. Looks like I will be shopping at Safeway and Wegmans a lot more!

I also heard the fresh seafood counters will be going away from the guy working it. I saw him training at the cash register and when I asked him what's up, he said that he either had to get trained in another area or find a new job because the seafood counters were going away early next year.

Posted by: best cuts? ()
Date: November 05, 2013 03:51PM

So, which supermarkets still offer fresh meat and competent butchers?

Date: November 05, 2013 05:19PM

Not Wegmans. Most they sell is precut not fresh. You know how it goes, after Giant starts it the rest will follow so soon there will be no fresh cut meat in Washington DC area. Small butcher shops are few. Springfield butch is really good. Meat cutting is an art that is all but gone. Even the newer cutters at giant do not have the correct skill to cut meat the right way. But they stopped training them correctly when they decided on the prepackaged idea. If consumers do not stand up now there Will be nowhere to get fresh cut meat

Posted by: sorry JM ()
Date: December 10, 2013 10:12PM

JM, you might lose alot of money but you will still have a job with benefits unlike me. Giant trumped up some BS and I not only lost my job, after the loss of my husband of 30yrs, but my home and damn near everything in it. That's what I got after 26yrs of service. And your union, don't count on them, they are too busy trying to save WalMart employees from being Non Union b/c they have a dream of being the largest union in the world. They couldn't care less about the ones who paid their salaries. Maybe you will get my old job, part time of course. Welcome to HBC.

Posted by: 96b9L ()
Date: December 10, 2013 10:16PM

Whats wrong with pre packaged meat? It still has the same nutrients...

It'll probably even be cheaper...

Date: December 11, 2013 07:07AM

Nope. It won't be cheaper. They will sell it by the ounce so it will look cheaper but when you see what you are actualy paying by the pound, it will a lot more. It's an old merchandising trick.

Date: December 11, 2013 07:25AM

Sorry. It won't be cheaper. They will sell it at a set price but the price will reflect what you are buying at the weight,not by the pound. For example, you may buy a new york strip and the package says the price is $5. However, the weight of the prepackaged strip is 4 ounces, therefore, you are actually paying $16 a pound.

Date: December 11, 2013 01:18PM

The gross profit in prepackaged meat is much less then what it is now so no way will it be cheaper. Ahold is doing this to make them more money not better for the consumer. They will save on getting rid of meatcutters saleries

Posted by: Goldfinger ()
Date: December 11, 2013 01:20PM

Plus 1.

Date: December 31, 2013 01:08PM

Looks like it will be in stores by feb 2014. Union meeting on Jan. 7 for all meat departmant personal and a vote will be taken. Most meatcutters will become meat clerks at a much lower wage. The union is so weak they will not be able to do anything to help the meatcutters. Should have done something 2 years ago when they put cutters to part time.

Date: December 31, 2013 08:30PM

Hopefully there will be a buyout offer.

Posted by: Lib ban ()
Date: December 31, 2013 09:25PM

Yet another result of liberalism. Gotta love America killing liberals.

Date: February 17, 2014 11:18AM

Meat prices will go up as Giant will sell the expensive angus meat and the nongraded "select" cuts. Select is so tough it has to be prepinned ( stabbed) to make it edible. Since that makes the juices run, you should be able to wear it on the bottom of your shoe.

Date: February 17, 2014 12:00PM

By end of March all stores will have meat that will be cut in York Pa. All now have thin slice pre cut meat. Offered buyout to meat cutter before the demote them to meat clerks. Only older worker got the buyout. Morale us very low

Posted by: HAHAHA Unions Suck ()
Date: February 17, 2014 12:48PM

Unions have been screwing over businesses for decades. So happy to see union employees get fucked for a change! When you decided to join a union, you made a short-term decision to screw your employer and a long-term decision to screw yourself. Deal with it!

Date: April 01, 2014 10:01PM

Meatcutters will become meat clerks on May 4 with $6.00 an hour loss in wages plus being part time will be lucky to get 20 hours a week. Stores are slowly changing over to meat cut in York Pa. And sent into stores.
It's the end of a craft. The people who are cutting the meat are NOT trained meat cutters. They are taught how to make a cut or trim and the majority of the meat is cut by machine. It's a damn shame!!

Posted by: Thanks ()
Date: April 01, 2014 11:25PM

^ Thanks for your updates. It's sad that this is happening.

Posted by: Good Riddance ()
Date: April 02, 2014 12:10AM

Screw the unions that have been screwing businesses for decades! Fewer union thugs = Less money in pockets of corrupt democrat politicians. This is cause for celebration!

Date: April 02, 2014 06:53AM

It has nothing to do with the union. Giant is raising prices on its meats. Anything with a bone is treated with chemicals to keep from showing how old it is. If you want a special cut, it will take 2 days to get it. Everything thats comes into the stores will have a week's expiration date on it. "Fresh" takes on a new meaning at Giant

Posted by: Jimmy Hoffa ()
Date: April 02, 2014 07:01AM

Anything that results in fewer union thugs is a good thing.

Posted by: Idiots ()
Date: April 02, 2014 08:53AM

I remember when working at Giant was a great job. The union was great, they had great pay and benefits. Once the Cohens sold Giant to Royal Dutch Ahold things went downhill. The top level management were convicted of stock manipulation and other crimes related to finance. How can anyone blame the unions? People are so stupid, management has been raping the working man for the past 30 years. Look at the cost of living and how much it has increased in the last 30 years, have wages kept up with the cost of living? Look who works at Mcdonalds now, adults, when I was a kid it was kids works these low wages jobs. Now people support families working at burgerking. America is fucked and the GOP is doing the fucking.

Posted by: Butcher3434232 ()
Date: April 02, 2014 12:59PM

I have a package of meat that you can drool over.

Posted by: Union Slayer ()
Date: April 02, 2014 01:40PM

Idiots Wrote:
> I remember when working at Giant was a great job.
> The union was great, they had great pay and
> benefits. Once the Cohens sold Giant to Royal
> Dutch Ahold things went downhill. The top level
> management were convicted of stock manipulation
> and other crimes related to finance. How can
> anyone blame the unions? People are so stupid,
> management has been raping the working man for the
> past 30 years. Look at the cost of living and how
> much it has increased in the last 30 years, have
> wages kept up with the cost of living? Look who
> works at Mcdonalds now, adults, when I was a kid
> it was kids works these low wages jobs. Now people
> support families working at burgerking. America is
> fucked and the GOP is doing the fucking.

Typical lib douchebag mentality. Who exactly owes you a living with your high-school dropout, lazy, dumbass, no-skills, worthless ass? Why do all libs sound like entitled retards, blaming companies and the GOP for their failures?

Posted by: 7TGTX ()
Date: April 03, 2014 03:38PM

once i went into Giant at night, at risk of being stalked by fx co for a gallon of milk i couln't really afford (they tell me, that is)

ALL FUCKING ASIAN. no cashiers in sight except asian. like 25 asians shoppong no one else

they eyed me a funny way. wierd thing is there are no asian neighborhoods close by i know of. AND there IS an asian grocer close though. hmmm.

-----------------------
i wonder if Holland knows about this "dc shopping" styles ?

fairfax. full of fucking crooks who aren't even supposed to be in the country.

Posted by: Jnujm ()
Date: April 03, 2014 03:40PM

once at night i went to xxxx for some dental stuff since i'm poor and my dentist did work so bad i'd do it myself sooner than let idiot work on me again

-------------------------------
ALL HISPANIC

right. that i expected! nothing unusual per say

Posted by: prepaksuks ()
Date: May 04, 2014 10:12AM

It won't be long before Stop & Shop (also owned by Ahold) goes the same route. In New Jersey, no one shops there anyway, they can't compete with Shoprite

Date: May 04, 2014 11:30AM

All cutter demoted to clerks on May 4 so only manager can cut meat now. All stores will be prepackaged meat within 2 weeks. Good luck getting any special cuts. Plus employees will not be in great moods after having to take a pay cut. I would say other companies will follow soon. Say good bye to meatcutters. Union sucks. Doing nothing to help.

Posted by: ....... ()
Date: May 04, 2014 12:51PM

Got sick as fuck last night off Giant meat.

Never again

Posted by: GBW ()
Date: May 04, 2014 02:37PM

....... Wrote:
> Got sick as fuck last night off Giant meat.
>
> Never again

The only thing worse than their meats is their produce. Who leaves strawberries on their shelves that are covered in mold? Yes, I am point at you Greenbriar Giant.

Posted by: Cant Stop Laughing ()
Date: May 05, 2014 08:34AM

Fewer union dues will be going into the pockets of corrupt Dem politicians. This is good for America.

Date: August 19, 2014 05:07PM

So now Giant has gone to selling Select grade meat. The new blue label that says "Butchers Choice" is select not USDA Choice as they had always sold before. Not telling the public. Trying to get by without the truth bring said. Less help, Less hours, poorer quality meat. That's my Giant

Date: August 19, 2014 05:49PM

For the last few months ,Giant has beeen secretly testing if people pay attention to the USDA gradings. Some stores have been selling Select instead of Choice. When the big buys go on sale, some stores sell Choice, others sell Select AT THE SAME PRICE. In other words, the customer pays for a lower grade meat at one store, while down the street another customer buys a higher grade and both pay the same price.
Evidently, it was a success as Giant will now mix the 2 together and call it Butcher. The customer may get Choice or Select or for big buys, a mixture. All at the same price.

Posted by: Ex Giant employee ()
Date: August 19, 2014 07:00PM

How much do meatcutters or butchers get paid? They used to get more than the average salary.

Date: August 19, 2014 09:25PM

Nothing. There are no meatcutters at giant anymore. They are all meat clerks now. All the meat is cut in Camp Hill Pa. And there are no journeyman meatcutters there. They hire anyone off the street or from the prison next door and show them how to make a cut and that is all they do the same cut all day. Most meat is cut by machine now

Posted by: Giants Meat Blows ()
Date: August 19, 2014 10:31PM

And has for some time.."Giant Lean" Tough meat, Giant hamburger Yuk.

Food Lion has the best meat today, how funny how they were the "bad guys about 15 years ago. BJ's Costco, Safeway expensive but good. All have better meat then Giant. Giant has gone from a super supermarket to so-so. With higher prices and Bogus Card tricks, gas "points" that disappear before you can use them..

Giant in Izzy Cohen's day was a great store.
I always got a laugh about Izzy's statement that Giants managers take care of business, That a "elephant in the store would be a "Big Problem" but store managers could take care of it without getting Izzy involved.

Izzy would tour the Giant Food stores talking to customers and staff with a Giant name tag.. "Izzy" many customers never knew who he was..a great business man who took care of customers and his staff.

In Izzys day Giant paid top wages also. God bless You Izzy..

Posted by: Whole Foods ()
Date: August 19, 2014 10:57PM

We stillo cut our own meat on site with highly skilled meatcutters and the best quality meat and we offer Halal meat in Springfield. Come visit us and try us out. Thank you.

Posted by: losers ()
Date: August 20, 2014 12:15AM

Journeyman Meatcutter Wrote:
> So now Giant has gone to selling Select grade
> meat. The new blue label that says "Butchers
> Choice" is select not USDA Choice as they had
> always sold before. Not telling the public.
> Trying to get by without the truth bring said.
> Less help, Less hours, poorer quality meat. That's
> my Giant

I have noticed Giant trying to jacked-up their prices on the sly. It really pisses me off. They slap a “sale” tag on the regular price and when that “sale” comes down. The regular price is up by 50% to 100% more. That really pisses me off. Just that they are trying to sneak it in like that.

Date: August 20, 2014 05:45AM

Giant has been pushing "grilling chickens". You might notice the packages don't say inspected by the USDA or grade A chicken. That means they probably have been inspected but found to be of poor quality, mostly skin and bone. Giant is selling second rate chicken at the grade A price.

Posted by: erik von zipper ()
Date: August 20, 2014 06:41PM

I tried that chicken last weekend. It was fowl.

Posted by: Ohyea ()
Date: August 20, 2014 07:08PM

pork Wrote:
> I hope someone publishes a guide to all the scores
> of Smithfield brands so people can avoid buying
> Chinese poison.
>
> What a stupid fucking country this is to let our
> enemies into our food supply.

You are not kidding! I say the ssme thing but never hear anyone else say it. Plus when said, it just falls to the ground like no one heard it - deaf ears.
SO FUCKING OBVIOUSLY STUPID (caps intended). I imagine them (the Chinese) laughing at how STUPID we are. That, plus teachers teaching our kids to be ashamed of our heritage and be ashamed of themselves if they're white and be embarrassed to be American. That's what they teach. Maybe we should be ashamed FOR BEING SO STUPID!!!

Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.