HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
which Fairfax County Public Library is the BEST?
Posted by: bookfish ()
Date: June 27, 2008 11:56AM

which Fairfax County Public Library is the BEST?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which Fairfax County Public Library is the BEST?
Posted by: Gee ()
Date: June 27, 2008 11:15PM

Not George Mason REgional in ANnandale. So small... and so crowded/noisy. Not the place to study.
Centreville is nice, clean and very spacious with many study spaces.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 28, 2008 06:50AM

Gee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not George Mason REgional in ANnandale. So
> small... and so crowded/noisy. Not the place to
> study.
> Centreville is nice, clean and very spacious with
> many study spaces.

ITs also used as a daycare center for many asian ans hispanic children

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: June 28, 2008 06:57AM

I prefer libraries with a separate children's room . Off the main library with perhaps windows to the main space. FX libraries are too noisy and often resemble chaotic daycares.

Posted by: Library Fan ()
Date: June 28, 2008 02:09PM

taxpayer Wrote:
> I prefer libraries with a separate children's room
> . Off the main library with perhaps windows to
> the main space. FX libraries are too noisy and
> often resemble chaotic daycares.
--------
I agree. The new Fairfax City Regional library is horrible - one big room, with a small corner for the kids and all the noise floats upstairs to the balcony where the older adults are trying to conduct research.

[Anyone know what happened to the beautiful old library tables from the old Fairfax City Regional library? I'd love to have one!]

Fairfax County librarians pride themselves on how often material is checked out, meaning less popular research material and old classic novels are ejected from the system, no longer available anywhere in Fairfax County.

Arlington has a much better plan - one main library with many more titles than ANY of the Fairfax libraries, and lots of smaller branches with popular books, CDs, DVDs, etc.

Posted by: close 'em! ()
Date: June 28, 2008 02:40PM

Libraries are an even bigger waste of taxpayers' money than the school system.

If you want to read a book or listen to a CD? Go buy the fucking thing!

Posted by: achonte ()
Date: June 28, 2008 09:20PM

close 'em! Wrote:
> Libraries are an even bigger waste of taxpayers'
> money than the school system.
>
> If you want to read a book or listen to a CD? Go
> buy the fucking thing!

FU&CK YOU ! DON"T TELL ME WHAT TO BUY! I"LL RAPE AND END YOU!

Posted by: lie-bary ()
Date: June 28, 2008 11:20PM

uhh, obviously the best library ever in fairfax county is . . . .

the tysons library.

nice park to chill in too ;)

anything anyone else says-

is a lie.

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: June 29, 2008 12:49AM

What difference does it make? You can reserve any book you want on line and just run into your closest library to pick it up. You can do the same for books on tape, for folks here who cannot read.

Posted by: Library Fan ()
Date: June 29, 2008 08:39AM

Neen Wrote:
> What difference does it make? You can reserve any
> book you want on line and just run into your
> closest library to pick it up. You can do the
> same for books on tape, for folks here who cannot
> read.

---------
Do you trust Google to do all your research for you?

When I am browsing fiction, I want to LOOK at my potential books.

When I am researching a topic, I want to go to a bunch of books and look at what various sources say.

Posted by: close 'em ()
Date: June 29, 2008 02:19PM

amazon.com and a credit card, ya cheap bitches.

Posted by: fred ()
Date: July 01, 2008 11:53AM

Few years back went to a Library Board meeting over at George Mason Regional Library. One of the items momentarily discussed was the bid for the renovation of the McLean library. On the Board that night for her first time was the representative for Fairfax City. She was apparently involved with a firm in D.C. that constructs office buildings. When she heard the amount for the bid on square footage for the McLean Library she commented that the bid was over twice as much as was common with office buildings in D.C. There was a silence in the room for a moment and then Mr. Clay, the long time head of Fairfax County library system, moved on to other matters without comment. Wonder if this overpaying for construction is the case with many county libraries and schools. Me I find many of the new libraries far too elaborate. If some wealthy individual wants to contribute money for a fancy library thats fine but using county funds this way I think is inappropriate. If they are going to go overboard on spending I think it should be for books,computers etc. I wonder why Robert Byrd and Thomas Jefferson libraries haven't been renovated yet?

Posted by: billybobby ()
Date: July 03, 2008 12:19AM

who cares...stop reading. GO USA!

Posted by: Hey Fred ()
Date: July 03, 2008 09:58AM

The plans for the Dolley Madison Library are in jeopardy now. A bunch of greenie-weenies have put the entire project on hold because of a few dozen trees that would be knocked down for the increased parking lot.

As far as the cost is concerned, the reason for that is that in DC you can build up to 10 stories, thus reducing the amount of money per foot of a new structure. The new Library woudl be only one story with a bsement.

As far as the original plans go, the Supervisor of that district (who was unseated in last years election) had plans to move her office into the library, an unneccesary move that cost the taxpayers many more dollars than was necessary. Thank god she was defeated and the new Supervisor has no plans to move into that building.

No conspiracy here.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: July 04, 2008 10:18AM

I went to the newly built Fairfax Regional library last Sunday. I was in the computer section trying to read about a medical topic and on either side of me there was a teenager on the computer. Both were talking on cell phones while checking their myspace. It was really irritating. I thought libraries were supposed to be quiet.

Trickie

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: July 04, 2008 10:21AM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> Gee Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Not George Mason REgional in ANnandale. So
> > small... and so crowded/noisy. Not the place to
> > study.
> > Centreville is nice, clean and very spacious
> with
> > many study spaces.
>
>
> ITs also used as a daycare center for many asian
> ans hispanic children

Seems like every library I have been to also serves as a shelter for homeless people.

Posted by: fred ()
Date: July 05, 2008 01:08AM

Also went to Fairfax library couple Sunday's back. Some dude was fast asleep and snoring like a jet plane taking off. It was so bad several folks around me went to front desk to have librarians do something about it. But alas nothing was done. I was there a good 15+ minutes and this guy is snoring away. A librarian did come to straighten the chairs but when I jokingly said she should call an ambulance that guy sounds like he's in some kind of medical distress, she gave me one of them librarian frowns and did nothing.

They need to get a security guard in that place who can actually tell folks to cut it out if the librarians are too scared to do anything or could be the bleeding heart syndrome..

And if you have some mobility problems the building is pretty bad. Far worse than the old Fairfax library which was built way before those kind of things were even considered.
Hey pretty building but not to functional. Still think most public buildings don't need to be so grandiose. Spend the money on books and computers not on niceties that pretty much serve as a glorification for the politicians who vote for such things.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: July 05, 2008 01:14PM

Mobility problems? They have an elevator to take you right to the entrance. It doesn't seem to be a difficult place to get around.

Posted by: Resident of City ()
Date: July 07, 2008 01:50PM

Fred,
It sounds like you just want to gripe, be it the Library, the general public or the money spent to make it happen.

If you want to hire a security guard to police people that fall asleep, go ahead, but it isn't illegal to fall asleep. What a waste of money that suggestion is. Why not just be brave and ask yourself? That would be free - although you need a backbone (and a reason).

I am not sure what the comment about mobility problems means. The place now has parking for 200 cars and there are elevators, automatic doors and the entrance is ight off the street. There is even a ramp from the garage to the street level.

As far as the space, it was built to fit in with the surroundings, and there was plenty of chances beforehand that requested the publics input.

Date: July 07, 2008 03:58PM

TRICKIE Wrote:
> Mobility problems? They have an elevator to take
> you right to the entrance. It doesn't seem to be
> a difficult place to get around.

It has been broked for a while.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: July 07, 2008 04:14PM

Obviously the ones in Vienna and Oakton are better than the one in Reston.

Posted by: Double-Duh ()
Date: July 07, 2008 10:40PM

Hey formerchick:
Was at Fairfax City library this afternoon. Took the elevator from the garage. Seemed to work just fine, so your info is outdated.

Someone else mentioned a ramp. Its in the corner by the elevators, but is only available from the top garage floor.

Date: July 07, 2008 11:07PM

The handicapped spots should be on the top garage floor, so the ramp is only needed there.

The elevator was previously broken.

Posted by: freddie ()
Date: July 08, 2008 02:32AM

Been to FFX library roughly 10 times about 1/3 of time elevator broken. Elevator is very slow. Probably partly due to size. Is it also a service elevator for library staff or is there another one for staff?
It's a long way from elevator to stacks and catalog computers.
When library is busy have to make one's way through crowds in line to check out.
Going to 2nd floor of library involves walking all the way to the elevator by the computers.
Not familiar with ramp on first floor garage, will look for it. If speaking of parking on 1st floor garage and walking back to the entrance ramp of garage and then going to front entrance that's a major drag as I've done it when the elevator wasn't working.
Parking garages can be drag if got a van. The pillars block views, soccer mom's driving like bats out of hades .
Unfortnately, no parking is allowed outside the front entrance to the library. A few spots there would be helpful. I think the spots should be for folks who are motorized to get around. That fortunately at this point doesn't include me.

On other hand, the library is very pretty but still think a library should be more about content than what it looks like. And I think the size for the Fairfax Room is fantastic. If only it wasn't wide open and didn't have a partay atmoshpere going on.

Didn't Fairfax County give Fairfax City a real nice deal on paying for the new library? I know county citizens will be using it.
City leaders, imo, have over spent in recent years with all it's building projects. Lanier and Fairfax High, new City Hall and new police station. Haven't all these projects being done at roughly the same time pushed the city's financial status into a less than desireable position? Probably one of the reasons seeing all these development projects going on to try and generate more tax revenue. But it's a shame ,imo, that destroying some of the last woodlands in the city is going on instead of trying to help some of the old long time tax paying shopping centers that really seem to be hurting. Then maybe the plan is to shut them down and redo them all. I still miss the Harris Teeter.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: July 08, 2008 10:42AM

Double-Duh Wrote:
> Hey formerchick:
> Was at Fairfax City library this afternoon. Took
> the elevator from the garage. Seemed to work just
> fine, so your info is outdated.
>
> Someone else mentioned a ramp. Its in the corner
> by the elevators, but is only available from the
> top garage floor.

I have no opinion on the Fairfax City library. My opinion was solely stating that obviously, Vienna and Oakton have better libraries than Reston.

Posted by: Double-Duh ()
Date: July 09, 2008 12:37PM

Fred,
I think you are just a born whiner;

"Been to FFX library roughly 10 times about 1/3 of time elevator broken"
This is the fault of the Elevator company, not the library.

"Elevator is very slow."
When they make elevators go faster, it makes people fall down or break their necks.

"It's a long way from elevator to stacks and catalog computers."
All of 120 feet, if that. Exercise is good for you.

"When library is busy have to make one's way through crowds in line to check out."
You came to a public library to be away from the public?

"Going to 2nd floor of library involves walking all the way to the elevator by the computers."
More elevators, more cost. Weren't you saying something before about how much the library costs?

"Not familiar with ramp on first floor garage, will look for it. If speaking of parking on 1st floor garage and walking back to the entrance ramp of garage and then going to front entrance that's a major drag as I've done it when the elevator wasn't working."
Then you need to become more familiar with your surroundings. There are maps of the garage, ask for them. If you have been there ten times, this should be familiar by now.

"Parking garages can be drag if got a van. The pillars block views, soccer mom's driving like bats out of hades."
Sorry about the pillars, as they keep the building from falling in around you. Vans block views, pillars not as much. As far as the soccer moms, it may be your driving that is offensive to them. Try looking at the arrows that are painted on the floor and follow those, you may be going the wrong way. (I bet you didn't even notice those)

"Unfortnately, no parking is allowed outside the front entrance to the library. A few spots there would be helpful. I think the spots should be for folks who are motorized to get around. That fortunately at this point doesn't include me"
But unfortunately it will, and you are already lobbying for them. Almost 200 spots to park and you still found a reason to whine. If somehow they configured these spots to park out front, you would then complain about getting out too close to traffic or that it occassionally rains and they should be covered like the spaces found in the garage.

C'mon, Fred - Stop whining.

Posted by: altRE ()
Date: July 03, 2015 10:06AM

I'll extend the original topic and ask what is the best library for small kids? We were very fortunate in Frederick to have dedicated play spaces in each library, and my daughter misses them. We've only been to George Mason, which has no real kids area, as has been noted.

Thanks for your help!

Posted by: say goodbye to libraries ()
Date: July 03, 2015 10:18AM

Despite Sam Clay's best efforts, most libraries will close. The money is needed for the Merrifield Mental Health building, the Police and Fire Games, trolley car studies, Board of Supervisors raises, and gay marriage consultants.

Of course, the school situation does not help. Turf field maintenance, consultants, travel, conferences, and meetings all add up to the hundred million dollar shortfall.

So the County, fearful that its residents might read about Thomas Jefferson and the Liberty Tree (fed from time to time with the blood of tyrants) are gradually getting rid of books and libraries. Sharon Bulova and Karen Garza have their plans, they don't want democracy getting in the way.

Posted by: Anne Girl ()
Date: July 03, 2015 12:26PM

I remember George Mason Regional in the 1980s was a quiet, cozy place I loved to visit, complete with children's nook.

Visited there recently, and what a change! The entire world seemed there. Not cozy/quiet anymore, for sure.

(I understand this doesn't answer your question re: kid-friendly libraries, but thought I'd get nostalgic for a bit.)

P.S. Fairfax County Library also used to have a nicer, cozier feel. Now it seems like one big public room.

Posted by: GBW ()
Date: July 03, 2015 07:54PM

Chantilly Regional Library is the best. But do not tell anyone as I like it nice and quiet. FFX County has an Officer in there most of the time so there is no issues with homeless riff raff. I have even noticed them eyeballing me just walking around and I am a white guy. They do not put up with bullshit and once they know you are legit they let you be.

Posted by: Fdburjf ()
Date: July 04, 2015 07:27AM

Chantilly is good for space and quiet but their books are just as gutted or "weeded" as they say, as the other branches--rows of empty shelves, and affected by how they don't return books to their home branch anymore so no longer the place to find a book checked out everywhere else like it used to be.

Posted by: Former Student ()
Date: July 04, 2015 09:06AM

Yeah, Chantilly's book selection is mediocre. They spent all the cash for acquisitions on a giant vaulted ceiling, I guess.

Arlington's library really is great; worth making a trip to if you are close by. Good book sales, too.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.