HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
Northern Region Basketball
Posted by: KG ()
Date: November 06, 2012 08:10PM

It's that time of year when basketball is starting. Any thoughts on who will have the best teams in the Northern Region this year? I hear Herndon and Westfield will have good teams....anyone else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Northern Region Basketball
Posted by: uh-huh ()
Date: November 06, 2012 08:19PM

PVI all the way!

Posted by: really??? ()
Date: November 06, 2012 09:00PM

Northern Region smart guy, take your private school education somewhere else where they don't require you to read headlines.

Not sure of who will win it, but the following teams won't be as good as they were last year simply because of graduation.

Edison - will still be fast and good on defense, but lost Murphy and will need to run a different offense.
McLean - will be god awful this year, no point scorers, no defense, I bet won't even make top 5 in their district.

Teams that I think will succeed

Fairfax - Burnett can take over any game and has the best shot IMHO in the region, pre-season prediction for POY, they return a good chunk of the final four team from last year
Langley - Good height and good system team, need a playmaker though since Dixon graduated.
South Lakes - system guys who started off rough last year but got better as the season progressed. Solid back court.
Westfield - lost big man in the middle so defense will go down, but their guard play returns which helped run their show most of the season.

Posted by: Look out for ()
Date: November 07, 2012 12:06PM

Lake Braddock is young this year, but they could beat some good teams. Woodson should be good as usual since pretty much every player can shoot. TC is TC, so even if it's a down year for them, they'll still be good.

Posted by: Staller Baller ()
Date: November 07, 2012 12:52PM

Lake Braddock will stall ball and upset a few teams by a whopping score of 28-24.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: November 07, 2012 01:43PM

TC Williams, Herndon, and Woodson should be the class of the region.

I've seen a couple people mention South Lakes, but they'll struggle this year, lost 2 great players to graduation and the team is very undisciplined.

The second tier would include several Concorde schools: Westfield, Chantilly, Robinson. I also like South County, Edison, Fairfax, Madison and Hayfield. I do not think Langley has the power they've had in the past and this will be a down year for them.

Posted by: JTMoney ()
Date: November 07, 2012 03:36PM

Westfied, like their football team, will be better than people think. Many up and coming Sophomores and a transfer in that will see significant time and make a contribution.

They may be hurt by a deep post season run in football, as there are at least 2 or 3 key contributors (including 2 starters) on the football team. But, that certainly could be the case with other schools as well.

Posted by: Barbie ()
Date: November 07, 2012 05:17PM

Barbie at Lb

Posted by: Ps129 ()
Date: November 07, 2012 07:05PM

Any D1 prospects in the Northern Region.

Posted by: KG ()
Date: November 07, 2012 08:47PM

Ps129 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any D1 prospects in the Northern Region.

Will Ferguson at Herndon?

Date: November 07, 2012 11:26PM

KG Wrote:
> Ps129 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Any D1 prospects in the Northern Region.
>
>
> Will Ferguson at Herndon?

His junior teammate will certainly be D1 but his name slips my mind. Talentwise it's a low year for the region and the title is up for grabs.

Westfield will be good, but no where near last year when they had Elcano and Basil. The football team going to the region championship didn't hurt their season as they won the region championship. No way they have the talent to repeat this year theough, they're not getting by a TC Williams or Woodson. I think they'll finish 3rd or 4th in their very competitive district.

Posted by: hoopstar ()
Date: November 08, 2012 02:34PM

Dorian Johnson is his name.

Posted by: Slubdawg ()
Date: November 08, 2012 03:52PM

By the way, I tried to find a regional schedule. When I can I like to go to a game, regardless of the school. Of course, the better the match up makes it more interesting.

Anyone know where I might find such a schedule?

Posted by: NorthernRegion ()
Date: November 15, 2012 12:05PM

Should be a good season. I'm not sure if anyone besides Herndon or Woodson is automatically going to be a contender this year, and even Woodson's a little shakier as they did lose some senior leadership as well as their 6'6 center AJ Carr to transfer. But they will be able to shoot the crap out of the ball.

Anyone seen any scrimmages of interest? I know there are a bunch on Friday...

Posted by: ballaaa ()
Date: November 16, 2012 01:47PM

how is robinson not getting any consideration? losing only 1 starter from a team that won the concorde last year

Posted by: Zack Attack ()
Date: November 16, 2012 04:54PM

I think you'd have to assume that Fairfax is the clear favorite in the Liberty this year, with both Burnett and Robic returning.

Don't know about other teams. Langley always finds a way to be competitive. McLean has two OK players but nothing like the talent they had last year. South Lakes has no discipline, and the Madison coach is awful. Marshall should be much better this year. Jefferson had one good player last year and he's gone. Stone Bridge plays football.

Date: November 19, 2012 06:44AM

Agreed on Marshall -- they're committed to their style of play and have shooters all over the floor. They're set up to be good for a few years with the talent up and down the program compared to the rest of the Liberty.

Last year was a great year for the district, with two teams reaching the Final Four....could be wide open this year after Fairfax. I can't even really name hardly any other players coming back in the Liberty once you get past those two. Who will be the rest of the impact players in the Liberty?

Posted by: Fairfan ()
Date: November 19, 2012 04:31PM

Fairfax has the best overall backcourt in the region. Robic and Burnett have been together forever. Can't forget about Collins, who is a savvy player with a high basketball IQ. This team makes up for their lack of height with their toughness and winning attitude. Expect a district title and another run to region final four from this team.

Posted by: NRFan ()
Date: November 19, 2012 05:14PM

Westfield boasts a very good backcourt (Beckett, Hill, Mullins) and alot of guys who contributed to last years Northern Region Championship team. They will miss the big guy this year, but have a bunch of guys who can play.

Date: November 20, 2012 01:47PM

Fairfan - have to agree with you. No one else in that district comes close to approximating their talent or experience in the backcourt, and Salim Collins is indeed underrated. The strength of their defense, however, was in the interior, so the guys coming up will have to replace guys like Kostadinov, Walsh, and Frank. I'm also hearing that the younger Frank had a pretty rough injury from football season and may miss some time.

Still, they should have enough firepower and be efficient enough offensively to be very strong, and they won't start off as slowly as they did last year.

Posted by: Shut up and listen ()
Date: November 20, 2012 05:34PM

Listen here, why are we talking about fairfax? Here's fairfax's season in a sentence. Game two of the season, go to woodson, lose by 40, go home, repeat. robic is average at best burnett can shoot the hell out of the ball but woodsons whole team can shoot. stepka, bowles, hansler, murray, and boock will be unstoppable. herndon vs. woodson in northern region championship with that game close as heck could go either way

Posted by: Zack Attack ()
Date: November 20, 2012 06:39PM

Shut up and listen Wrote:
> Listen here, why are we talking about fairfax?
> Here's fairfax's season in a sentence. Game two of
> the season, go to woodson, lose by 40, go home,
> repeat. robic is average at best burnett can shoot
> the hell out of the ball but woodsons whole team
> can shoot. stepka, bowles, hansler, murray, and
> boock will be unstoppable. herndon vs. woodson in
> northern region championship with that game close
> as heck could go either way

Woodson has a lot of talent and usually underperforms. Fairfax has some talent, including one kid who really does not like to lose, and a big heart. In that match-up, I like Fairfax's chances.

Posted by: 44592 ()
Date: November 21, 2012 10:08AM

As someone who is very familiar with the situation, I would advise everyone to watch out for Burnett, Robic, and Collins. Burnett is hands down the best player in the region.

Date: November 21, 2012 12:10PM

I'd take Ferguson from Herndon over Burnett, but that's probably it. Khory Moore is also gonna lead Wakefield to a pretty good season, mark my words. That'll be a pretty good test of wills early, a sneaky good game the first weekend of the season -- Fairfax and Wakefield.

Posted by: Lockdown predictions ()
Date: November 21, 2012 12:28PM

Bold prediction of the year. Andy Stynchula for Woodson regional player of the year

Posted by: Ahmayzin ()
Date: November 21, 2012 12:29PM

South Lakes is about to return to powerhouse status...like the old days...my time. Young talent coming up. We don't have the 6'10 players like my man Joey Beard back in my day. These young boys are quick and they are team players.

My $.02

Posted by: kelly dickerson ()
Date: November 21, 2012 12:33PM

Who the fuck is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: sirdom ()
Date: November 21, 2012 12:40PM

Actually I expect an off year from andy stynchula due to the fact that woodsons back up point guard wrecked his girlfriends pussy

Posted by: wtw ()
Date: November 25, 2012 06:11PM

I agree, Junior at W.T. Woodson, Stynchula, should have an incredible season based on what the scrimmages have shown

Posted by: last post ()
Date: November 25, 2012 08:11PM

Thanks for posing that last post Andy Stynchula... you're a big man who can't make a layup and has turned yourself into a one dimentional three point shooter

Date: November 26, 2012 01:15PM

First big day of games is tomorrow -- only one region game that I can find tonight and it's way out in Sterling.

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 27

Annandale @ Robinson
Hayfield @ South County
Herndon @ Washington-Lee
Lake Braddock @ Centreville
Mount Vernon @ West Potomac
Oakton @ Lee
Stone Bridge @ Potomac Falls

The Region's football season is over -- have at it!

Date: November 28, 2012 12:48AM

> TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 27
>
> Annandale 53 @ Robinson 67
> Hayfield 48 @ South County 52
> Herndon 52 @ Washington-Lee 49
> Lake Braddock 48 @ Centreville 43
> Mount Vernon 63 @ West Potomac 59
> Oakton @ Lee
> Stone Bridge 39 @ Potomac Falls 57

Looks like it was a great night of competitive basketball. I expected a little more out of Herndon.

Posted by: NR Fan is an idiot ()
Date: November 28, 2012 08:47AM

Oakton beat Lee by 20 last night.

Didn't expect that good of showing from W-L. Any insight?

Posted by: Jess1 ()
Date: November 28, 2012 09:34AM

"As someone who is very familiar with the situation..."
If you're that familiar, you know that Daniel Frank is still beat up, and the inside play that helped Fairfax go so far last year is gone. It will be tough for FFX to repeat last year's success.

Date: November 29, 2012 10:45AM

That's true. I think they're going to miss Kris Kostadinov and Matt Frank and Kyle Walsh a little more than people realize. If Dan Frank is banged up, that makes it even tougher.

Still, I think they're the class of that district, which won't be nearly what it was last year.

Don't forget that W-L finished second in a decent National District last year and took Edison to double overtime on the road. Their junior big man, Jonah Sens, is a beast on the block and is slowly adding a perimeter game. They also have a very athletic backcourt that is dynamic on defense.

Date: November 29, 2012 10:55AM

Exactly. FHS could clog up the middle against pretty much anyone last year, forcing others to (usually) go way outside. This season, not so much.
Didn't know that WL kid's name - he's a monster, compared to much of the competition...

TODAY'S SCHEDULE
Date: November 29, 2012 10:57AM

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 29

South Lakes Tip-Off
5:30 PM Centreville vs. Langley
7:30 PM Oakton vs. South Lakes

South County Tip-Off
6:00 PM Chantilly vs. Osbourn Park
8:00 PM South County vs. Hylton

JEB Stuart Tip-Off
7:30 PM Falls Church vs. Freedom-Woodbridge

Lake Braddock @ Westfield
Woodgrove @ Stone Bridge

Re: TODAY'S SCHEDULE
Posted by: tmill ()
Date: November 30, 2012 07:47AM

What games are on for tonight? I had to get to work early and don't have a paper.

Posted by: Bulldawg ()
Date: November 30, 2012 08:18AM

Tournament at Westfield High School this weekend with Westfield, Madison and West Springfield.

Posted by: thenorthernregion ()
Date: November 30, 2012 02:26PM

BIGGEST GAMES FOR TONIGHT!!!

6 Wakefield Fairfax
730 Robinson Woodson

Four teams all will be going to regionals most likely.

AT WOODSON

Date: November 30, 2012 04:07PM

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 30

South Lakes Tip-Off
5:30 PM Langley vs. Oakton
7:30 PM South Lakes vs. Centreville

South County Tip-Off
6:00 PM Chantilly vs. Hylton
8:00 PM South County vs. Osbourn Park

WT Woodson Tip-Off
6:00 PM Fairfax vs. Wakefield
7:30 PM WT Woodson vs. Robinson

Westfield Tip-Off
6:00 PM West Springfield vs. Patriot
8:00 PM Westfield vs. Madison

Hayfield Tip-Off
7:30 PM Hayfield vs. Montrose Christian

JEB Stuart Tip-Off
7:30 PM JEB Stuart vs. Lee

Freedom-South Riding at Stone Bridge
West Potomac at Herndon
Trinity-Meadow View at Marshall

Enjoy!!

Posted by: KingConcorde ()
Date: December 01, 2012 08:16AM

Gee, all of the chatter about Fairfax basketball on here and they lost their first game??????

Posted by: NR Fanatic ()
Date: December 01, 2012 10:20AM

Wakefield is a strong team and it was just free throws that cost Fairfax that game. Most of Fairfax's games will be close though, that's the methodical style they seem to play.

Posted by: bballer ()
Date: December 01, 2012 01:06PM

@ NR Fanatic it wasn't really free throws down the stretch. Wakefield's coaching allowed Fairfax to come back. It was a 10 point game the whole time, and with time winding down, Wakefield continued to play aggresive offensively when they should have played stall ball.

Posted by: AAUMom ()
Date: December 01, 2012 02:00PM

West Potomac beat Herndon 97-92 in double OT on Nov 30, 2012. West Po's #23 Kwame Camon, sophmore, shut down Herndon's D-1 college prospect Will Ferguson. Kwame's stats were 30 pts, 9 rebounds, 6 assist for this game.

Posted by: wenbsyiwll ()
Date: December 01, 2012 05:51PM

Who won last night games?

Posted by: Coach ()
Date: December 01, 2012 10:41PM

Went to the tip off at Woodson tonight. In the first game Robinson blew a huge lead and lost by 16 57-41. Wakefield is a beatable team. In the second game region favorite woodson played well against fairfax. Won by 9. Woodsons big four Stepka Bowles Murray and Hansler are matchup nightmares because each of them deserves to have the other teams best defender on them. Gonna be tough to beat this team. The refs had it out for Woodson tonight and that kept fairfax in the game other then that fairfax didn't belong on the court with them.

Posted by: sirbumpsalot ()
Date: December 02, 2012 10:18PM

bump

Posted by: Woodson Student (so yeah, biased ()
Date: December 02, 2012 11:11PM

Fairfax kept it close against Woodson, Burnett actually hurt us more in the paint along with some timely threes, but even with a mediocre reffing job, Woodson looked like the better team. Yeah, Fairfax missed a lot of free throws, but because the guys getting fouls sucked at free throws, not like they choked. PVI might have killed us in the scrimmage in terms of the score, but we actually won at least one quarter because even PVI couldn't stop the barrage of threes. Once Boock is healthy, Woodson is a matchup nightmare. I think Stepka is around as good an outside shooter as Burnett (at least based on what I've seen so far) and can drive and finish, and Boock is around as good a pure shooter. Only a handful of teams in the region have guys who can really contain Boles, and he distributes off penetration extremely well. Stynchula and Murray can pound the boards and shoot threes. Hansler can drive and finish well, and he and Boles have great on-ball defense. Obviously, the team has weaknesses, the most obvious being height, among others, but I'm tired of seeing all this about Fairfax when Woodson is better, especially when they play to their potential, and has tougher opponents ahead, who I'll leave their own students/players to write about. Also, the stuff about Stynchula above is just from the Woodson players messing around, ignore it.

Posted by: Woodson Student (again) ()
Date: December 03, 2012 12:00AM

Oh, and shout out to Hansler for his dunk v. Fairfax. Nothing crazy, but pretty strong for a 6'2" white guy.

Date: December 03, 2012 10:18AM

"but I'm tired of seeing all this about Fairfax"...
You see so much @ Fairfax City due to the fact that so many here are Gov't "employees" w/time on their hands to post ad nauseum - here & everywhere. FHS isn't a good (heck, marginal) school for most any activities, as it's a surprisingly insular place (culturally speaking). Either make it a "city" HS or fully integrate it into FCPS. This half n half approach doesn't serve the students well...

Date: December 03, 2012 10:41AM

Sort of amusing to see someone from Woodson posting on Fairfax Underground about hearing too much about another school.

Fairfax will have a solid year in a relatively untested Liberty District and as of right now is still the favorite to win it. Woodson will be one of the best teams in the Patriot District and the Northern Region. It wouldn't surprise me if the two teams meet in Regional play again this year.

Date: December 03, 2012 12:23PM

Enough about Fairfax basketball.....at least for now. They are 0-2.

Date: December 03, 2012 12:52PM

Fairfax
Fairfax
Fairfax
Fairfax
Fairfax
Fairfax
Fairfax
Fairfax
Fairfax
Fairfax
Fairfax

(which, coincidentally, is how many games FFX teams will win per 20 game season...)

Posted by: Groveton ()
Date: December 03, 2012 01:26PM

AAUMom Wrote:
> West Potomac beat Herndon 97-92 in double OT on
> Nov 30, 2012. West Po's #23 Kwame Camon,
> sophmore, shut down Herndon's D-1 college prospect
> Will Ferguson. Kwame's stats were 30 pts, 9
> rebounds, 6 assist for this game.

Holy Cow! I have to see this guy play. Reminds me of Gary Ford!

Posted by: RGIV ()
Date: December 04, 2012 05:19PM

Fairfax..............0-3.

Posted by: TO3 ()
Date: December 04, 2012 10:07PM

W-L over Westfield courtesy of two half court buzzer beaters in OT win.

Posted by: wenbsyiwll ()
Date: December 04, 2012 10:13PM

mount vernon

Posted by: Woodson Student (again) ()
Date: December 05, 2012 09:03PM

No disrespect intended to Fairfax HS, but this is Fairfax Underground as in Fairfax County/City, which Woodson (along with many other schools) is part of, and I felt like I the number of posts wasn't proportional to ability. Lots of other teams underrepresented here too.

Posted by: 112277 ()
Date: December 08, 2012 07:25PM

Langey upset Woodson yesterday 60-48 in a good game. Langley is now 4-0

Posted by: oleballer ()
Date: December 10, 2012 02:47PM

Saw that sophmore #23 from West Potomac play against Chantilly. Makes his money in the paint. According to stats in AllMetSports.com, he has been the high scorer for West Potomac and opponents in the last two games.

Posted by: Zack Asleep ()
Date: December 11, 2012 09:41PM

RGIV Wrote:
> Fairfax..............0-3.

Maybe 1-4 now? Marshall beat Fairfax 53-52 tonight. But for Robic, it would have been a blow-out. Burnett was unimpressive and missed free throws in the last minutes that could have won the game for Fairfax. Marshall doesn't have great ball handlers, but they have a balanced offense and played tough defense.

Langley now looks like the team to beat this year in the Liberty.

Posted by: aaucoach ()
Date: December 12, 2012 07:50AM

I saw West Potomac beat TC Williams last night 54-51. That sophmore Kwame Camon of West Potomac dropped 21 points being high scorer of the game. The Post ranks him #1 in Patriot division in points. Would love to recruit him for my aau team

Posted by: Unstatesmanlike ()
Date: December 12, 2012 09:55AM

Zack Asleep Wrote:
>
> Maybe 1-4 now? Marshall beat Fairfax 53-52
> tonight. But for Robic, it would have been a
> blow-out. Burnett was unimpressive and missed
> free throws in the last minutes that could have
> won the game for Fairfax. Marshall doesn't have
> great ball handlers, but they have a balanced
> offense and played tough defense.
>
> Langley now looks like the team to beat this year
> in the Liberty.

Robic tweeted "can't believe we lost to those clowns" after Fairfax lost to 4-0 Marshall.

I'd say that Fairfax is overrated, but now everyone knows they suck this year. Someone should tell Robic his all-star buddy is obviously bored and the rest of the Fairfax squad couldn't beat a JV team.

Posted by: u know ()
Date: December 12, 2012 10:32PM

hows annandale looking this year?

Posted by: dean wheeler ()
Date: December 12, 2012 11:44PM

u know Wrote:
> hows annandale looking this year?

They lost to Washington-Lee 62-35. Then lost to Westfield 62-47. Next up is Woodson.

Date: December 13, 2012 12:02AM

A lot of good looking teams this year. Having seen most of the contenders for the region play, I am fairly convinced the top 2 teams are Langley and Woodson.

Posted by: Rammed ()
Date: December 15, 2012 10:26AM

Unstatesmanlike Wrote:

>
> Robic tweeted "can't believe we lost to those
> clowns" after Fairfax lost to 4-0 Marshall.
>
> I'd say that Fairfax is overrated, but now
> everyone knows they suck this year. Someone
> should tell Robic his all-star buddy is obviously
> bored and the rest of the Fairfax squad couldn't
> beat a JV team.

Fairfax went down to Robinson last night behind Burnett's four point performance. Guess the real clowns are Robic's teammates.

Posted by: Alum95 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 09:41AM

Big game on Tuesday... South Lakes-Herndon. Herndon is probably the most overrated team in the region right now. South lakes lost a few close ones and they are starting to pull it together. I'm going with South Lakes to beat Herndon.

Posted by: The man ()
Date: December 16, 2012 11:18AM

If you think South Lakes is putting it together then you aren't paying attention. They lost to McLean and Langley this past week, and lost to a bad Osbourn Park team. They beat bad Centreville and Stone Bridge teams and lost to average Oakton.

Alum95 is right about one thing: Herndon is the most overrated team in the region. They will beat SL though.

Posted by: 1567 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 12:06PM

Langley easily dominated South Lakes on Friday, improving their overall record to 5-0. They are now ranked no.15 in the state. The only other team in the top 20 from the Northen Region is T.C. Williams.

Date: December 16, 2012 12:33PM

Posted by: Oh really ()
Date: December 16, 2012 12:45PM

The man Wrote:
> If you think South Lakes is putting it together
> then you aren't paying attention. They lost to
> McLean

This should sum up how good SL is because McLean is terrible this year.

Posted by: 1567 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 04:23PM

Actually, that list is outdated because it doesn't count Friday's games so you are incorrect

Date: December 16, 2012 06:43PM

Westfield plays Langley on Tuesday...who wins??

Posted by: Alum95 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 09:53PM

South Lakes has been beating themselves as of late. missed free throws and miss points around the basket. South Lakes is well coached. I think they shake off the rust on Tuesday.

Date: December 16, 2012 10:02PM

That's the first time I have ever heard South Lakes and well coached in the same sentence. This year's team just isn't very good though, not really the coach's fault.

Herndon should take them. I like Langley over Westfield on Tuesday.

Posted by: HeySon ()
Date: December 16, 2012 10:47PM

South Lakes has plenty of good coaches... Look at he Girls Basketball Coach. She does a great job! She's the hottest coach in the region too.

Track Team has dominated the Region for the last 15 years. plenty of good coaching going on in Reston

Date: December 18, 2012 11:38AM

Westfield @ Langley
Herndon @ South Lakes

Should be two great games tonight.

Also Jefferson @ Fairfax, while Fairfax should take this one handily, this is a must win for them and TJ has been known to pull upsets.

Posted by: yeah but ()
Date: December 18, 2012 02:19PM

HeySon Wrote:
> South Lakes has plenty of good coaches... Look at
> he Girls Basketball Coach. She does a great job!
> She's the hottest coach in the region too.
>
> Track Team has dominated the Region for the last
> 15 years. plenty of good coaching going on in
> Reston

Track & Field is an individual sport, the fact that SL always does well in it is exhibit A on why most varsity team sport coaches there are underacheiving. The school must get good atheletes to do well in track but the coaches that put those same atheletes on a field or court to try to acheive something as a team fail more often than not.

Date: December 19, 2012 10:51AM

Langley convincingly took down Westfield. With their double digit wins over Woodson and Westfield, they have to be the team to beat this year. They are huge too.

Fairfax finally got back on the winning side over TJ. TJ was tied with them in the 4th quarter though.

Aside from Langley being 7-0, Chantilly is 8-0, having seen them both play though, it's not close and Langley is much better. Chantilly has had a considerably easier schedule. Marshall is undefeated too at 6-0, may have to make it out to a game to check them out, although their schedule has been far from daunting.

Posted by: Cougar Fan ()
Date: December 19, 2012 01:50PM

Big win for Oakton over Madison last night!

Posted by: Speck Tater ()
Date: December 20, 2012 12:17PM

Cougar Fan Wrote:
> Big win for Oakton over Madison last night!

Some interesting cheers coming from the Oakton "sixth man" section in that game!

Posted by: WarStatesHawksmen ()
Date: December 20, 2012 01:09PM

NR Fanatic Wrote:
> Langley convincingly took down Westfield. With
> their double digit wins over Woodson and
> Westfield, they have to be the team to beat this
> year. They are huge too.
>
> Fairfax finally got back on the winning side over
> TJ. TJ was tied with them in the 4th quarter
> though.
>
> Aside from Langley being 7-0, Chantilly is 8-0,
> having seen them both play though, it's not close
> and Langley is much better. Chantilly has had a
> considerably easier schedule. Marshall is
> undefeated too at 6-0, may have to make it out to
> a game to check them out, although their schedule
> has been far from daunting.

Marshall's biggest test of the season thus far comes tomorrow when they play an away game at Madison. I would not say that Madison is great this year, but Madison has one player (Murphy) who's considerably better than anyone on Marshall's squad.

Posted by: Jess Sayin ()
Date: December 21, 2012 03:17AM

WarStatesHawksmen Wrote:
> NR Fanatic Wrote:
> -----
> > Langley convincingly took down Westfield. With
> > their double digit wins over Woodson and
> > Westfield, they have to be the team to beat
> this
> > year. They are huge too.
> >
> > Fairfax finally got back on the winning side
> over
> > TJ. TJ was tied with them in the 4th quarter
> > though.
> >
> > Aside from Langley being 7-0, Chantilly is 8-0,
> > having seen them both play though, it's not
> close
> > and Langley is much better. Chantilly has had
> a
> > considerably easier schedule. Marshall is
> > undefeated too at 6-0, may have to make it out
> to
> > a game to check them out, although their
> schedule
> > has been far from daunting.
>
> Marshall's biggest test of the season thus far
> comes tomorrow when they play an away game at
> Madison. I would not say that Madison is great
> this year, but Madison has one player (Murphy)
> who's considerably better than anyone on
> Marshall's squad.

If Marshall's "sixth man" group takes a page from the Oakton group, it will be enough of a distraction that Marshall will pull out a win...

Date: December 21, 2012 09:55AM

What did Oakton 6th man do? Were they chanting about a past affair? Anyway, Oakton kids get a way with a lot of stuff at games. There is no way Marshall would be allowed to chant some of the stuff I've heard Oakton chant in the past.

Posted by: Speck Tater ()
Date: December 21, 2012 12:20PM

NR Fanatic Wrote:
> What did Oakton 6th man do? Were they chanting
> about a past affair? Anyway, Oakton kids get a
> way with a lot of stuff at games. There is no way
> Marshall would be allowed to chant some of the
> stuff I've heard Oakton chant in the past.

That's what it sounded like, although I know no details. I was just there to watch a friend's son play.

Calling over to the coach, and then, "Was it worth it?, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap"

Posted by: Lebronn ()
Date: December 21, 2012 06:31PM

NR Fanatic Wrote:
> Langley convincingly took down Westfield. With
> their double digit wins over Woodson and
> Westfield, they have to be the team to beat this
> year. They are huge too.
>
> Fairfax finally got back on the winning side over
> TJ. TJ was tied with them in the 4th quarter
> though.
>
> Aside from Langley being 7-0, Chantilly is 8-0,
> having seen them both play though, it's not close
> and Langley is much better. Chantilly has had a
> considerably easier schedule. Marshall is
> undefeated too at 6-0, may have to make it out to
> a game to check them out, although their schedule
> has been far from daunting.

"Langley convincingly took down Westfield." Ummmm, I dont think so. NOthing against Langley, but there was nothing "convincing" about the win. This years Westfield team is not like last years, but put them on a neutral court and its anyone's game. Langley's coach acts like he is big time, pretty funny.

Posted by: Sportfan not affiliated w oakton ()
Date: December 21, 2012 07:15PM

Oakton at home is an extremely difficult place to play. Their fan section is unbelievable, with its witty and loud chants its hard for any opposing team to focus. There fan section is led by some remarkable young men including Ricky Menendez, Daniel Mansfield, Jeremy Marshal, Wade Harris, and Jack Harris. There fans are more impressive than the team watch out for the cougars as there fans might win the the region

Posted by: WarStatesHawksMen ()
Date: December 21, 2012 10:16PM

Jess Sayin Wrote:
> WarStatesHawksmen Wrote:
> -----
> > NR Fanatic Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Langley convincingly took down Westfield.
> With
> > > their double digit wins over Woodson and
> > > Westfield, they have to be the team to beat
> > this
> > > year. They are huge too.
> > >
> > > Fairfax finally got back on the winning side
> > over
> > > TJ. TJ was tied with them in the 4th quarter
> > > though.
> > >
> > > Aside from Langley being 7-0, Chantilly is
> 8-0,
> > > having seen them both play though, it's not
> > close
> > > and Langley is much better. Chantilly has
> had
> > a
> > > considerably easier schedule. Marshall is
> > > undefeated too at 6-0, may have to make it
> out
> > to
> > > a game to check them out, although their
> > schedule
> > > has been far from daunting.
> >
> > Marshall's biggest test of the season thus far
> > comes tomorrow when they play an away game at
> > Madison. I would not say that Madison is great
> > this year, but Madison has one player (Murphy)
> > who's considerably better than anyone on
> > Marshall's squad.
>
>
> If Marshall's "sixth man" group takes a page from
> the Oakton group, it will be enough of a
> distraction that Marshall will pull out a win...

Marshall was down by 10 at halftime and came back to beat Madison 67-62. Not sure they could hold their own with Langley, but 7-0 is a nice start. There were enough Marshall fans there to neutralize the home court advantage.

Posted by: Sgt. Grammar ()
Date: December 21, 2012 10:35PM

Sportfan not affiliated w oakton Wrote:
> Oakton at home is an extremely difficult place to
> play. Their fan section is unbelievable, with its
> witty and loud chants its hard for any opposing
> team to focus. There fan section is led by some
> remarkable young men including Ricky Menendez,
> Daniel Mansfield, Jeremy Marshal, Wade Harris, and
> Jack Harris. There fans are more impressive than
> the team watch out for the cougars as there fans
> might win the the region

Well, to start off, as Sgt.Grammar, it is not "there", but "their".

Even more importantly, if you are not affiliated with Oakton, as your user name suggests, how do you possibly know the names of five of the Oakton's "sixth man" crowd? I happen to know that you are correct as to at least two of them, so I am guessing that you are one of them as well.

Posted by: lkkk ()
Date: December 23, 2012 10:38AM

Posted by: HoopsFan ()
Date: December 29, 2012 11:23PM

Who won the holiday tournaments???

Date: December 30, 2012 12:02AM

Chantilly's Tournament: Mountain View defeated Robinson
Mountain View was not expected to win this. They upset the unbeaten host school then took out Robinson as an under dog too.

Westfield's Tournament: Battlefield defeated Westfield

Lake Braddock's Tournament: Hayfield defeated McLean

Falls Church's Tournament: TJ defeated Stuart
TJ got the winning tip in well after the buzzer sounded. The refs counted it. Kind of a shocker as Stuart was the rightful winner.

Posted by: lololol ()
Date: December 30, 2012 01:45AM

Woodson defeated Herndon in a close one in Hampton, 63-61.

Date: December 30, 2012 07:40AM

Wouldn't call Mountain View's win an upset. They are really really good and would be a Northern Region contender. They beat a very good Robinson team in the final as well. All three good teams. MV too good to call their wins upsets

Posted by: Oh really ()
Date: December 30, 2012 10:07AM

The man Wrote:
> Wouldn't call Mountain View's win an upset. They
> are really really good and would be a Northern
> Region contender. They beat a very good Robinson
> team in the final as well. All three good teams.
> MV too good to call their wins upsets

Amazing how they are going to be a northern region contender when they aren't even in the northern region.

Date: December 30, 2012 11:06AM

Fairfax scored 20 (yes, that's right-----20) points yesterday in a loss to Potomac School.

How do you only score 20 points in a HS basketball game???????

Posted by: Zack Ahack ()
Date: December 30, 2012 11:18AM

KingConcorde Wrote:
> Fairfax scored 20 (yes, that's right-----20)
> points yesterday in a loss to Potomac School.
>
> How do you only score 20 points in a HS basketball
> game???????

Robic wasn't there, and Burnett isn't really a leader. They still have good shooting stretches, but they don't handle the ball well or play with any intensity this year.

Posted by: nerve-enclosed glass center ()
Date: December 30, 2012 11:24AM

Sportfan not affiliated w oakton Wrote:
> Oakton at home is an extremely difficult place to
> play. Their fan section is unbelievable, with its
> witty and loud chants its hard for any opposing
> team to focus. There fan section is led by some
> remarkable young men including Ricky Menendez,
> Daniel Mansfield, Jeremy Marshal, Wade Harris, and
> Jack Harris. There fans are more impressive than
> the team watch out for the cougars as there fans
> might win the the region

What would be sport? Food fights?

Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.