HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Background Checks
Posted by: What ()
Date: June 24, 2008 12:25PM

What do employers look for when doing background checks on potential employees? What would get you automatically disqualified from a position?

I don't have any felonies on my record. No drug charges, no DUI or anything like that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Background Checks
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 24, 2008 12:27PM

it really depends on the job, how much te company is willing to pay, and other factors.

I have multiple misdemeanors on my record and I have never been denied any of the MANY jobs I have been checked for.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 24, 2008 12:33PM

It totally depends on what kind of position you're applying for. Having no felonies is a good thing. But, if you're going to be in a position of financial responsibility, even things like misdemeanors (shoplifting, fraud, etc.) can disqualify you. Same with recent violations- if you've recently been busted for drunk in public, that'll look alot worse than something more serious that happened ten years ago. Your best bet is to be up front about everything when you apply; lying on a resume or application is a huge mistake. Alot of times it's worth it to ask the HR person you're dealing with, that way you don't waste alot of your time pursuing a lead that you won't qualify for.

What Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What do employers look for when doing background
> checks on potential employees? What would get you
> automatically disqualified from a position?
>
> I don't have any felonies on my record. No drug
> charges, no DUI or anything like that.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 24, 2008 12:43PM

Meeper is right, but I once had occasion to see one of my bg checks... it was missing the most major violation. The checking entity checked fairfax county but never checked any of the other local courts. This was before huge clearinghouses became super-common for bg check info.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.