HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Hurricane Sandy -- Do I find a ditch?
Posted by: drivingaround ()
Date: October 28, 2012 02:02PM

Do I need to find a ditch for my car or is this only during winter?

Are all the good ditches already gone? What do I do?

HURRY... THERE ISN'T MUCH TIME LEFT.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hurricane Sandy -- Do I find a ditch?
Posted by: Totally different rules ()
Date: October 28, 2012 03:06PM

Hurricanes have totally different rules than snowstorms.

Traffic should only be affected by power outages at major intersections, so you should plan on driving around blowing right through uncontrolled intersections without stopping. In fact, you should speed up as you approach an intersection where the lights are out. Consider it a special day when you don't have to stop at any red lights, and act accordingly.

There is no need to abandon cars on roadways, as this will only impede the drivers who are properly blasting through intersections. Only drive your car into a ditch if it can impede the power company repair crews from repairing downed lines. Otherwise, it is counterproductive to do so.

Make sure you have all of your lawn furniture out, umbrellas open, and anything else that can be blown around laid out, ready for the high winds.

Park your cars underneath the largest, oldest tree you can locate.

If your gutters have been cleaned recently, please find some material that you can jam into the downspout.

If there are any storm drains near your home, please take this opportunity to jam plastic shopping bags, leaves, coffee cups and anything else you can find into them. This will ensure that they do not allow too much water into the storm sewers, which can overload them.

Posted by: Unfortunately true ()
Date: October 29, 2012 07:47AM

I forgot where I was on Saturday, but I sat at a light at watched some guy with a leaf blower getting the leaves off his lawn and depositing them into the street, about 5 feet from a storm drain. I'm glad his lawn will be nice and green today. Wouldn't want those leaves ruining the view.

Don't forget, you should also honk at the people that actually know the rules of the road and do crazy things like stop at a blacked out intersection. I remember watching the news after a power outage and the camera caught some asshole laying on the horn of someone who actually treated the intersection like a four way stop. The reporter even decided to mention that the one car did the right thing.

As with any poor weather condition in this area, feel free to drive as you normally would. Your BMW's performance tires do great in standing water, so drive 20 mph over the speed limit, tailgate and cut people off as usual. Everyone can stop on a dime in bad weather, whether it is rain, ice, or snow.

If today or tomorrow is a trash day, you probably put your trash out days ago and have a bag full of styrofoam that promptly blew down the street. Mission accomplished! That trash isn't your problem now.

Posted by: be prepared ()
Date: October 29, 2012 07:54AM

I already have all the toilet paper and bread within a twenty mile radius so forget it

Posted by: peter puke ()
Date: October 29, 2012 08:00AM

Attachments:
tumblr_m3dfup2OXb1rsgzmno1_500.png

Posted by: Rear Ended ()
Date: October 29, 2012 08:23AM

Unfortunately true Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Don't forget, you should also honk at the people
> that actually know the rules of the road and do
> crazy things like stop at a blacked out
> intersection. I remember watching the news after
> a power outage and the camera caught some asshole
> laying on the horn of someone who actually treated
> the intersection like a four way stop. The
> reporter even decided to mention that the one car
> did the right thing.
>

The saturday after the derecho, I got rear ended by some douchebag in an SUV when I stopped at an unpowered light on 123 in Mclean. I heard his tires howling so I was able to hit the gas just as he smacked into my rear bumper.

I went through the intersection and pulled over to the shoulder. When he got out of his car to discuss his major fuck up, all he could say was "I didn't realize I had to stop." My response was "Yeah. You really need to be careful. There could have been some jackass who doesn't know he needs to stop coming from the cross road, and you could have been t-boned. Its a good idea to treat intersections with dead lights as a 4 way stop. Actually, that's on the driving test. Surprised you didn't know."

Cost his insurance company $5,300 for a new bumper cover, a 2 day rental and incidentals. I'm sure he didn't learn anything from the experience.

Posted by: That Mom ()
Date: October 29, 2012 08:43AM

Moms in Minivans, Unite!

This is the time to race through the suburbs and head to Target for Halloween candy and wine!!!

Don't worry; your minivan wil be fine in standing water. Before getting into the family van, though - secure all sippy cups and make certain that your Starbucks coffe mug is snug in that cupholder. Might want to wear your skinny jeans and your cute rain boots, grab that cart-seat cover and your toddler(s) and go!

Please - when you come back from this super-fun errand, update your Facebook status, create a new blog post and share your ideas on Pinterest!!!! Don;t forget - you have soccer snacks this weekend.

Posted by: Do it NOW!! ()
Date: October 29, 2012 08:44AM

That Mom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Moms in Minivans, Unite!
>
>
> Please - when you come back from this super-fun
> errand, update your Facebook status, create a new
> blog post and share your ideas on Pinterest!!!!
> Don;t forget - you have soccer snacks this
> weekend.

You all have smartphones! Update that shit WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.