HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Enough with the robocalls
Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: October 24, 2012 05:32PM

I'm wondering how the campaign people believe that this is an effective means to get their message across. I have gotten as many as four robocalls before noon.

The calls go one of two ways. The first kind is where you answer and wait a few seconds to be connected to some poor clown that is pushing the message - or it just hangs up on you if nobody is available. The second kind is a recorded message that talks like an auctioneer to try to get words into your brain before you hang up.

Neither way has the potential to promote their cause more than it will annoy their targets. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if robocallers are pretending to be the opponent just to piss people off.

Find me their justification. Find someone that is effectively influenced by robocalling so I can bitch slap them. It is probably the same assholes that make spam viable and get duped by Nigerian princes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Enough with the robocalls
Posted by: Agree--enough already!!! ()
Date: October 24, 2012 08:27PM

Glad to see this thread so I too can vent about what has become a major irritant for my family every day.

Are we getting 3+ calls every day from orgs representing both parties because we're in Virginia or because somehow one or the other party has us down as one of theirs--or as independents (which we actually are)?

How many daily political polling/political research calls do residents of other states get, I wonder? And how do we get off the calling lists?

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: October 24, 2012 08:54PM

The robocalls always show up as UNKNOWN NUMBER on caller ID. I block anonymous calls, so I don't know how they are circumventing this.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: October 24, 2012 09:01PM

eesh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The robocalls always show up as UNKNOWN NUMBER on
> caller ID. I block anonymous calls, so I don't
> know how they are circumventing this.

Same here. I just delete them off my VM within the first few seconds after I realize what it is.

Posted by: Blocking ()
Date: October 24, 2012 09:13PM

I'm blocking them the best I can, but just got another one at 8:30. A robo-poll this time, asking how "excited" I am for the election. I'm excited to stop seeing these fucking ads on TV and having to block numbers that call me several times a day.

Posted by: Albert Einstein ()
Date: October 25, 2012 11:54AM

Unplug phone problem solved

Posted by: shoeshine girl ()
Date: October 25, 2012 02:08PM

What really gets me about these calls is after YEARS of unsolicited marketing calls, the government FINALLY instituted the DO NOT CALL list. Yippee!!! Oh, except for the part that allows GOVERNMENT BUSINESS to continue to make unsolicited calls...where is the logic?

Posted by: FedUpInNoVA ()
Date: October 25, 2012 03:24PM

It baffles me that robocalls are an effective campaigning tool. Clearly they are or they wouldn't make them but...when the caller ID says "Unavailable", I don't answer it and I don't know anyone who does.

The only robocall I would've liked to have gotten which went to VM was the one a few years ago when Ted Leonsis called to encourage me to wear red for the playoff game that evening.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: October 25, 2012 06:11PM

y'all do know you can just hang up on them, right?

o_0

Posted by: DoNotCall ()
Date: October 26, 2012 06:03AM

So I get this robo call the other day about making your PC run faster. It connects me to some rube from India who immediately launches into his spiel. Not being busy at the time, I wanted to see how long I could keep him on the phone. I act like I'm a rank novice on the PC while he tries to show me how many "bad" files are lurking on my computer. After about 15 minutes or so he directs me to connect to a website to download their software, (like I'm gonna do that). Oh no! The "internets" be down! I can't get to their website! Took another 10 minutes of so trying to reset the connection while he is on the phone (actually put him on hold while I took a dump). Finally he transfers me to a "tech". Being tired of the game I hung up during the transfer. The asshat called back 3 times and I just let it roll to the answering machine, the last message was hilarious, Indian accent "Why did you hang up on me??". I figured I tied those f-ers up for a half hour or so. If enough people could jam them up like that maybe they'll stop calling. Probably the only way to fight back.

Posted by: D Snyder ()
Date: October 26, 2012 07:53AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> y'all do know you can just hang up on them,
> right?
>
> o_0

So says the telemarketing asshole of society...

Posted by: Dagger ()
Date: October 26, 2012 08:20AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> y'all do know you can just hang up on them,
> right?
>
> o_0

Yup, we'allz noes...

Here's what else we also noes...

We can just stop reading Gordon Blvd.

Requisite Lolz unrelated...

Lolz

Posted by: Funny_Guy ()
Date: October 27, 2012 11:35AM

wnrsm Wrote:
> I'm wondering how the campaign people believe that
> this is an effective means to get their message
> across. I have gotten as many as four robocalls
> before noon.
>
> The calls go one of two ways. The first kind is
> where you answer and wait a few seconds to be
> connected to some poor clown that is pushing the
> message - or it just hangs up on you if nobody is
> available. The second kind is a recorded message
> that talks like an auctioneer to try to get words
> into your brain before you hang up.
>
> Neither way has the potential to promote their
> cause more than it will annoy their targets. The
> conspiracy theorist in me wonders if robocallers
> are pretending to be the opponent just to piss
> people off.
>
> Find me their justification. Find someone that is
> effectively influenced by robocalling so I can
> bitch slap them. It is probably the same assholes
> that make spam viable and get duped by Nigerian
> princes.
Attachments:
robocall.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.