HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fireworks- Stands?
Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: June 20, 2008 09:32AM

Every year I see these fireworks stands pop up in parking lots. This year the stands are these bright yellow metal containers.

I was wonder where these come from? There have to be about a hundred of these, does the firework company provide these or are they stored some place in FFX County the rest of the year?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fireworks- Stands?
Posted by: ChingChongChing ()
Date: June 20, 2008 09:48AM

Container come on big tanker ship from China! you ask to many queestions, Danielson!!!

Posted by: Mike Sorce ()
Date: June 20, 2008 10:47AM

I was wondering the same thing myself. They just seem to show up one day on the side of the road in the same locations which makes me believe that there are long-term ground leases in place. Has anyone ever seen one of these delivered?

FWIW, I stopped buying these poor excuses for pyrotechnics when I discovered Phantom Fireworks in Breezewood. You would be surprised how much stuff you can buy when five dads pool $100 each and everything is buy-1-get-1.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: June 20, 2008 11:33AM

Is it a felony to light off fireworks in Fairfax County that were bought in PA or another state? The ones I am re4ferring to are the huge ones that pop up in the sky. The ones they sell here are not fun.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 20, 2008 01:26PM

it's illegal but if you behave yourself and keep it away from others' houses, the cops generally could care less.

Posted by: Mike Sorce ()
Date: June 20, 2008 01:34PM

TRICKIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it a felony to light off fireworks in Fairfax
> County that were bought in PA or another state?
> The ones I am re4ferring to are the huge ones that
> pop up in the sky. The ones they sell here are
> not fun.

Well...I am sure that someone here will find the appropriate code, but I found this on a quick web search:

"Since even the possession of unapproved fireworks is prohibited, such fireworks will be confiscated and persons possessing them may be charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor. This carries a maximum penalty of a $2,500 fine and/or one year in jail. All fireworks, that explode, emit a flame, sparks, or performs as a projectile higher than 12 feet, are prohibited in the Commonwealth of Virginia."

Full text is available here http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/Communications/PressReleases/5817.aspx

We typically launch ours over the dam at Woodglen Lake and no one ever bothers us. As a matter of fact, I ran into a friend who is a FXCO police officer, at Phantom Fireworks a couple of years ago. The police are pretty busy that night and my understanding is that they give this a relatively low priority unless there is personal injury or property damage.

Of course, you really need to be careful with this. A couple of years ago a multi-shot device fell over and began sending flaming balls horizontally with several landing on a pile of rags in an open garage. Even though most of the spectators were pretty drunk, it didn't take long for people to realize what happened and break out the hose before the whole house went up. That would likely have raised some questions from the police.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 20, 2008 02:21PM

Dont forget the guy who blew up his house last year with homemade fireworks.
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/40756/41014.html

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 20, 2008 02:30PM

TRICKIE Wrote:
> The [fireworks] they sell here are not fun.

+1

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: coffin ()
Date: June 20, 2008 02:46PM

Those things are sea containers that are stacked on container ships. Then a crane lowers them onto a semi-trailer for the trip to their final destination (Walmart, etc)

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4DMUS_enUS204US204&q=container+ship+pics&um=1&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

I always thought that the firework stands were old ones that peddlers modified to use as their temporary "stores". I don't think they would be strong enough to have a lot of others stacked on top after they cut the sales windows in the side.

But who knows, maybe the fireworks do come from the Orient in these containers, but they make sure to put them on the top of the stacks?

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 20, 2008 04:04PM

I have mentioned this before, but I used to live across the street from a former elected sheriff, a man supposedly above reproach, and he would launch off illegal fireworks right in the cluster of houses on our block. I don't think they care too much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2008 04:04PM by RESton Peace.

Posted by: Grumpy ()
Date: June 20, 2008 04:21PM

If I had my way, they'd all be banned. Every year, I see children
who are barely housebroken playing around with these things. Some
of them don't even explode, just sparkle, but they are still
dangerous in the hands of a child. As for adults, some of them are
too drunk to be responsible. Ban them all. Bah Humbug....

Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: June 20, 2008 04:29PM

Shipping some big containers like that from China and then sending it back would cost some bucks?

I guess if you have to ship a large quanity of firworks from China anyway putting them in a container that opens up as store would be a perfect plan.

Posted by: Cheap Bastard ()
Date: June 20, 2008 06:17PM

I like it when my neighbors light off the illegals, that way I can watch without burning dollar bills myself. Get some more this year, last year they weren't that great.

Posted by: coffin ()
Date: June 20, 2008 06:32PM

Lurker.. Wrote:
> Shipping some big containers like that from China
> and then sending it back would cost some bucks?
>
> I guess if you have to ship a large quanity of
> firworks from China anyway putting them in a
> container that opens up as store would be a
> perfect plan.

Like I said, while the fireworks are undoubtedly shipped over in a sea container, I doubt like hell they're shipped in the same container that you see in the shopping center parking lots.

You see old sea containers all over the place being used for storage, etc.

Posted by: tbats ()
Date: June 22, 2008 12:49PM

I don't know why anyone would cry about the danger of fireworks. Even the out of state ones are relatively safe. You would really have to try hard to get a serious burns or lose an eye. It's hard to find the explosive ones-M80's, Cherry Bombs and only firecrackers with really large charges will take off a hand or finger---ILLEGAL anyway..........

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: June 22, 2008 01:09PM

The police have stopped me a couple of times, mostly for morters.. Most of the time they will take the anything that is illegal.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 22, 2008 04:37PM

coffin Wrote:
> Lurker.. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Shipping some big containers like that from
> China
> > and then sending it back would cost some bucks?
> >
> > I guess if you have to ship a large quanity of
> > firworks from China anyway putting them in a
> > container that opens up as store would be a
> > perfect plan.
>
>
> Like I said, while the fireworks are undoubtedly
> shipped over in a sea container, I doubt like hell
> they're shipped in the same container that you see
> in the shopping center parking lots.
>
> You see old sea containers all over the place
> being used for storage, etc.

You will often see a normal iso-container behind the store container with the fireworks in it. My guess is that the fireworks come over in the regular one and the store are trucked around the country to sell various things and stored in a central distribution center somewhere in the country

Posted by: SupaCoolDude ()
Date: June 22, 2008 09:40PM

Yo does anyone know where you can buy M80's or something equivalent or more powerful these days? FUcking pussy ass faggots, next theyll ban sparklers because some braindead fucktard soccer mom bitch hands em to her equally retarded kid and it burns itself and the even more braindead congress takes away more of our freedoms

Posted by: Pedro sez ()
Date: June 23, 2008 12:21AM

You used to be able to buy some good shit at South of the Border.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.