HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Be Alert for Deer
Posted by: Sparky the Fire Dog ()
Date: October 08, 2012 07:41AM

Be Alert for Deer
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/news-releases/2012/100212deeralert.htm

Fairfax County Police Department
Public Information Office
4100 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, Va. 22030
703-246-2253. TTY 703-204-2264. Fax 703-246-4253
FCPD-PIO@fairfaxcounty.gov
www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police
News Release: 12/297/LHC/
October 2, 2012

Be Alert For Deer

It’s that time of year again: “rutting season.” Deer are especially active during the months of October and November so residents can expect to have increased encounters with local deer.

As of July 2012, there have been 59 non-reportable deer-related vehicle crashes in Fairfax County. There have also been 31 reportable (damage over $1,500. dollars) collisions involving animals, predominately deer, as of mid-September 2012. Police caution motorists to stay alert for deer in the roadways and learn more about deer to decrease their chances of a deer/vehicle crash.

Know Deer Behaviors:

§ Deer are especially active pre-dawn to mid-morning and dusk to early evening. These periods of activity correspond with the time when many Fairfax County residents are going to and from work or school.

Ø Deer breeding season runs October through December. Adult deer are highly mobile and especially active during the rut.

§ Deer typically travel in herds. If you see one, there are likely several more nearby.

Ø Deer can be found throughout Fairfax County. Deer are edge species that easily survive in suburban areas and more natural areas including heavily wooded areas.

Be Alert when Driving:

Ø Always drive the posted speed limit. The more conservative you are with your speed, the more time you will have to brake if a deer runs across the road.

Ø Always wear your seat belt when in a vehicle. Severe injuries and/or fatalities are more likely to occur when belts aren’t worn.

Ø Use high-beams when there is no oncoming traffic to improve your visibility. You will have a better view of adjacent woodland edges and open fields.

Ø Be aware of posted “Deer Crossing” signs. Signs are placed in areas known for high deer traffic and/or deer-vehicle collisions.

Ø Be aware of “Deer Crossing” variable sign boards. Mobile sign boards are placed in areas known for high deer traffic and/or high deer-vehicle collisions.

Be Prepared for Deer Encounters:

Ø Watch for eye shine along roadsides. Immediately begin to slow your vehicle if you spot a deer.

Ø Reduce speed and grasp the steering wheel firmly with both hands. You never know when a deer will attempt to cross a road. Deer can be unpredictable animals.

Ø If deer is frozen on the road, reduce speed and flash your headlights. Deer can become mesmerized or blinded by bright steady lights.

Ø Never rely on hood whistles, car horns, or other devices to scare deer. Studies have shown these do not work.

Ø Never swerve to avoid deer on the road. Swerving can cause loss of control of your vehicle and greatly increase chance of more serious damage or injury.

Take your foot off the brake at time of impact. This action reduces the likelihood of deer crashing through a windshield or windows upon impact

If the animal is injured or killed, report the collision through the FCPD non-emergency line at 703-691-2131.

To learn more about deer activity in Fairfax County, check http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/living/animals/wildlife/management/deer-management.htm.

###

To request this information in an alternate format, call the Public Information Office at 703.246.2253. TTY 703-204-2264

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Be Alert for Deer
Posted by: Mongo ()
Date: October 08, 2012 08:10AM

Good advice to be aware. But the first Rut doesn't come in until mid-November. Second Rut comes in December.

Posted by: Tough One ()
Date: October 08, 2012 09:24AM

Sir why did you hit that deer? I did not. Then explain how there are no skidmarks on the main section of the road, and why they jut towards the carcass.

Yum!!!!!

Posted by: Sparky says... ()
Date: October 08, 2012 09:39AM

Mongo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good advice to be aware. But the first Rut
> doesn't come in until mid-November. Second Rut
> comes in December.

Oh no sir, its right now in Northern VA.

Posted by: Mongo ()
Date: October 08, 2012 11:27AM

I'm a hunter and the first rut doesn't come in until November.

Posted by: Deer on my car ()
Date: October 08, 2012 11:41AM

As someone who has unfortunately come in contact with more than their fair share of deer, they are out there now and running into the cars already. I have not idea what "rutting" means but I do know what it feels like when my car hits those solid walls of deer. And that time has begun.

Posted by: William Tell ()
Date: October 08, 2012 11:47AM

Mongo Wrote:
> I'm a hunter and the first rut doesn't come in
> until November.

I'm a hunter too and the rut has already started, usually in early
October. Not all does come into heat at the same time. They don't
go by a calendar.

@Deer on my car.
"rutting" is the mating season. That means they fuck. Usually this time
of year all a buck has on his mind is pussy and acorns.

Date: October 08, 2012 11:49AM

Then my car must be like a sexual magnet to them.

Date: October 08, 2012 01:03PM

Deer on my car Wrote:
> Then my car must be like a sexual magnet to them.

This is not good. When bucks are only attracted to your car it means you're
doing something wrong. Try smearing some of this on your clothing and you'll
have those bucks fighting over your ass.

http://westwindwhitetails.com/page-deer-scents-4.html

Posted by: OnFoot ()
Date: October 08, 2012 01:19PM

Ran into a stag with small antlers while running on the W&OD about 3 weeks ago near the Vienna section of the trail. I saw it from about 20 yards away and it grunted which made me stop. I hissed at it because I panicked and had nothing in my hands except my own life. It stopped too and stared at me. While we were in our death stare, 3 other deer crossed the path from behind the stag and then ran parallel to the trail towards me and then turned out of sight when they were about 10 yards away from me. The stag then followed the same path. I waited about a minute until my butt hole declenched. This story is 100 percent true but my real question is, would this deer have tried to first kill, then rape me if I didn't yield? What would you hunters have done if you were in the open confronted by this magnificent beast?

Date: October 08, 2012 01:28PM

OnFoot Wrote:
> Ran into a stag with small antlers while running
> on the W&OD about 3 weeks ago near the Vienna
> section of the trail. I saw it from about 20
> yards away and it grunted which made me stop. I
> hissed at it because I panicked and had nothing in
> my hands except my own life. It stopped too and
> stared at me. While we were in our death stare, 3
> other deer crossed the path from behind the stag
> and then ran parallel to the trail towards me and
> then turned out of sight when they were about 10
> yards away from me. The stag then followed the
> same path. I waited about a minute until my butt
> hole declenched. This story is 100 percent true
> but my real question is, would this deer have
> tried to first kill, then rape me if I didn't
> yield? What would you hunters have done if you
> were in the open confronted by this magnificent
> beast?

It's extremely rare for a deer to attack a human. As far as rape is
concerned, offer to give it a blow job and it will probably be happy
with that and go away.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: October 08, 2012 01:29PM

"This story is 100 percent true but my real question is, would this deer have tried to first kill, then rape me if I didn't yield? What would you hunters have done if you were in the open confronted by this magnificent beast?"

We can only hope that it would....

Date: October 08, 2012 01:45PM

My car must be covered in DOE IN HEAT "P". All kidding aside, after way too many of them (all seperate occasions) running into my car, I consider myself very lucky that the only damage has been done to my car.

Posted by: OnFoot ()
Date: October 08, 2012 01:48PM

496 Wrote:
> We can only hope that it would....

One can only wish.

oh deer!! =)
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: October 08, 2012 03:52PM

now the tables are turned!!! LoLz
Attachments:
deer driving.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.