HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What fence company to use?
Posted by: new homeowner ()
Date: October 07, 2012 12:24PM

Looking to install a privacy fence at my new home.. looking for best price/product

Any companies you can recommend?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What fence company to use?
Posted by: This ()
Date: October 07, 2012 12:58PM

Yes it is a little known comapny called Use The Fucking Search Feature...excellent results and cost is just about nill

Posted by: tr077 ()
Date: October 07, 2012 02:44PM

This Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes it is a little known comapny called Use The
> Fucking Search Feature...excellent results and
> cost is just about nill

u mad bro?

Posted by: Gate Post ()
Date: October 07, 2012 02:48PM

Fall season is better than waiting until Spring to shop for a new fence. Fence contractors get jammed-up w/ new orders in the Spring with everyone thinking about home improvement. With that- fence companies are still very busy this Fall with fencing repairs that resulted from this Summer's crazy storms in the area.

Focus on companies that advertise their fencing product. Every small deck builder out there will tell you that they can also do fence. Most, cannot. Get at least 2-3 written quotes that fully outline the scope of the installation. Whether you go with a big fence company i.e. LONG FENCE or a somewhat smaller fence company i.e. CARTER FENCE, prices can vary widely and are ALWAYS negotiable. Big or small- they BOTH will use sub-contracted installation crews for much of their work. Quality of your finished installation will rely solely on the skill and experience level of the actual installation crew. Don't skimp on materials, ask the estimator about their installation crews and remember that their first price is ALWAYS negotiable this time of year.

Offering web links for two well established local fence companies that can do wood and chain link fencing. There are others. Long Fence also has an in-house ornamental iron shop if you're looking for that type of high end product. There will be many additional pro/con postings coming for each.

www.carterfence.net

www.longfence.com

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: October 07, 2012 03:21PM

I have heard good things about Flores Fencing. Had the guy come out to give an estimate. The estimate seemed fair enough -- I intend on using them for a split rail.

Posted by: Swordy McFencington ()
Date: October 07, 2012 04:30PM

I recommend LongFence! Dirt cheap and epic quality! Why go anywhere else?

www.longfence.com

Posted by: Rute Boye ()
Date: October 07, 2012 04:35PM

I would definitely recommend Carter Brothers. I've had several fences installed by them over the last ten years and was always satisfied with their work and their prices.

Long Fence installed our first fence, which started rotting and falling apart after about 7 years. I would never use them again.

Posted by: Whobe ()
Date: October 07, 2012 06:23PM

Long Fence dirt cheap ? HA! Probably the most expensive co you could use for a basic fence.
Flores Fence? Sure, sounds cheap, never heard of them. I'd be checking their license and insurance and experience 1rst......

Posted by: jjj ()
Date: October 07, 2012 07:29PM

Long fence us expensive and uses high pressure sales tactrics. They do a good job - but you PAY for it.

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: October 07, 2012 07:35PM

Swordy McFencington Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recommend LongFence! Dirt cheap and epic
> quality! Why go anywhere else?
>
> www.longfence.com

Thanks for the input Mr. Long.

Posted by: Swordy McFencington ()
Date: October 07, 2012 07:57PM

@Joe B. - A fence should last a lifetime. Why buy 3 shitty fences when you could buy 1 LongFence and never have to buy another fence again? My neighbor's wife owns 76 pairs of shoes. I'll never understand why. Me? I won 3 pairs of shoes. My Allen Edmonds wingtips...my Jack Purcell badminton sneakers and...my FootJoy wingtip golf shoes. I haven't bought shoes since 1972. Why is it there's always enough money lying around to build 3 fences but never enough to buy one fence? You want one fence? LongFence!

Posted by: hmmm ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:37AM

anybody use or heard anything of HalCo fences?

Posted by: interested1 ()
Date: October 13, 2012 08:53AM

I am looking to get one too.. I am not sure if any of them offer financing though

Posted by: I have a Nice Fence ()
Date: October 13, 2012 09:18AM

from Carter Brothers. They are the best..

Posted by: interested1 ()
Date: October 14, 2012 02:31PM

is there a big deal on which type of wood you use for the fence?

Posted by: Gate Post ()
Date: October 16, 2012 04:25PM

There a basically 3 types of wood fence material. PTP/PRESSURE TREATED PINE is least expensive and pressure treated with emulsion for resistance to weather and insects. Requires paint, stain or sealant to prevent the lumber from eventually turning gray in color. REDWOOD LUMBER is naturally resilient to insects and is not intended for painting. Looks good in natural state but should still be maintained with a clear coat oil or sealant for long life. CEDAR LUMBER is similar to Redwood with natural bug/weather resilience but will also require a clear coat sealant for longevity. No silver bullet for wood fence choices and all require periodic sealing treatment to preserve over time from moisture and the sun/UV rays. There are some composite material choices available that mimic the `wood look` such as Trex. Great long lasting product but very expensive.

Posted by: skiguy ()
Date: October 18, 2012 09:26AM

Don't use HalCo.

They used day laborers on my fence and it was crap. Tried calling them to look at it and it took a two weeks to speak to anyone. The owner set an appointment to come out and I took off work to be there. He was there three hours earlier "I was in the arera and you were not home". He did have some of the fence repaired but it still was not right

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.