HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Subway store in olde towne Fairfax
Posted by: pig bladder ()
Date: October 02, 2012 12:25PM

Did that long time business bite the dust or remodeling? Was it done in by the many new restaurants in the area? It did seem to be one of those businesses that should be on the list of how it stayed in business all these years.

Noticed a new Italian joint coming to the old Mama Lucia spot. But will the success of the new restaurants kill off the older restaurants in the area?

Is that Icons in olde towne Fairfax on life support these days? Doesn't seem to be open on a regular basis. Fairfax City government sure seemed to give that joint a way longer line than they ever gave T.T. Reynolds. Always lots of city police around Icon's.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Subway store in olde towne Fairfax
Posted by: ofairfax ()
Date: October 02, 2012 12:59PM

It moved to the shopping center where the Starbucks, Walgreens and Ace Hardware etc are - Quizno's is no longer

Date: October 02, 2012 01:15PM

Seems like a good move for Subway

Posted by: Jason K ()
Date: October 02, 2012 05:38PM

The Subway lease expired and also it was a bad spot in terms of parking and storm drainage.

The restaurant moving into the former Mama Lucia spot is actually called Fairfax Burger Palace. (AKA unlikely to be an Italian place)

Icons closed about a month ago.

Posted by: snakeinthegrass ()
Date: October 02, 2012 08:39PM

pig bladder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seems like a good move for Subway

If I had my choice between Subway and Paisano's, it's Paisano's 10 times out of 10. They moved further from GMU, off the foot/shuttle path of GMU students, and have litle visibility from eastbound traffic. I don't think it's very wise of them.

Posted by: Jason ()
Date: October 02, 2012 11:14PM

Yet that shopping center continues to be one of the busiest in the city. That shopping center, the H-Mart Shopping Center and Fair City Mall being the busiest.

Posted by: stoned ()
Date: October 02, 2012 11:55PM

When your stoned and want to get a sub, its pretty nerve wrecking to go to that subway with all the Fairfax city heat.

Date: October 04, 2012 12:56PM

" When your stoned and want to get a sub, its pretty nerve wrecking to go to that subway with all the Fairfax city heat."

With Icon's closed they can't think of any else to hang out. Icon's was good business for the cops. I notice city cops don't set up speed traps at night like they have in the past. wonder why?

Posted by: Fact Checker ()
Date: October 06, 2012 04:00PM

TTs building was owned by the City and Icons building was not. TTs owners were not paying their rent and Fairfax City gave them the right to buy the building or get out. TTs, not the City, decided their future. Easy to blame the City for their personal failures.

Posted by: Fat in Fairfax ()
Date: October 06, 2012 04:04PM

Whats with the Indians and Pakis when they take over a Subway. Two slices of tomato on a foot long sub, razor thin slices of meat. And stop pimping the combos I aint paying two dollars extra for a soda and five potato chips.

Posted by: snakeinthegrass ()
Date: October 06, 2012 05:01PM

Jason Wrote:
> Yet that shopping center continues to be one of
> the busiest in the city. That shopping center, the
> H-Mart Shopping Center and Fair City Mall being
> the busiest.

How many businesses have failed in that piece of the shopping center? People aren't backed up into 236 waiting for the bookstore, and clearly not for Quiznos, or anything else thats opened and shut since the last time I was over there. As "busy" as that shopping center is, they sure had a hard time filling the Harris Teeter space and I rarely see more than 3 other shoppers in Walgreens or Ace.

Posted by: Fact Checker ()
Date: October 06, 2012 06:23PM

Actually hear Ace is doing well and Tj Maxx is one of the best performers per square ft in the nation. Time will tell if the others survive but the Bagel shop, Coyote Grille and Noodles have been going strong for years - along with Dante's. Lots of negative comments on here but the facts don't support them. Harris Teeter was undersized and they are looking at other locations in Fairfax City.

Posted by: Patient shopper ()
Date: October 06, 2012 07:07PM

Fact Checker Wrote:
> Actually hear Ace is doing well and Tj Maxx is one
> of the best performers per square ft in the
> nation. Time will tell if the others survive but
> the Bagel shop, Coyote Grille and Noodles have
> been going strong for years - along with Dante's.
> Lots of negative comments on here but the facts
> don't support them. Harris Teeter was undersized
> and they are looking at other locations in Fairfax
> City.

As someone who frequents those stores and restaurants despite the congested lot, I can verify those facts. That center is a convenient location for many and happens to have several good businesses.

Posted by: Jason K ()
Date: October 06, 2012 07:38PM

Combined Properties is looking at converting Fairfax Circle Plaza (where Staples, Performance Bike, etc are) into a mixed use residential-commercial development and Harris Teeter had expressed interest in having a store there.

Posted by: Rumor Checker ()
Date: October 08, 2012 09:54PM

Fact Checker Wrote:
> TTs building was owned by the City and Icons
> building was not. TTs owners were not paying
> their rent and Fairfax City gave them the right to
> buy the building or get out. TTs, not the City,
> decided their future. Easy to blame the City for
> their personal failures.

Actually, TTs was paying their rent fine to their private landlord when Fairfax City bought the building to use it during utility relocation work. Rather than sell it back to the original owner when the work was comlete, as they originally said they would, they decided to try to make a quick profit and sell back to the highest bidder. The owner wanted nothing to do with it, so TTs tried to raise enough money to buy it themsleves. The Eastwind owners put in a higher bid and TTs lost out. This isn't ethical practice for a municipal government. The previous mayor wanted them out so downtown could be a better place for yuppies and old peoplle, so he saw an opportunity and took advantage of it.

Posted by: Fairfaxian ()
Date: October 08, 2012 10:15PM

Rumor Checker Wrote:
> The previous mayor wanted them out so
> downtown could be a better place for yuppies and
> old peoplle, so he saw an opportunity and took
> advantage of it.

I'm not looking to start a flame war...just some spirited back and forth...note my lack of profanities and name calling...

Was TT's really such a hot-spot of crime and blight that the city would want to forego a proven track record of YEARS of sacks of tax dollar cash going right out the door and right up the street to city hall?

Also, I thought TT's did most of their business after the sun went down, yes? And don't yuppies with children and old people do most of their business BEFORE the sun goes down?

I'm not saying your wrong about what happened...I'm just trying to understand your position and statements better.

Posted by: Meateater Hellraiser ()
Date: October 09, 2012 01:58PM

Whats with the Indians and Pakis when they take over a Subway. Two slices of tomato on a foot long sub, razor thin slices of meat. And stop pimping the combos I aint paying two dollars extra for a soda and five potato chips.

This is true. Almost every Subway in this area is owned by Indians or Pakis, and they always do that bullshit of grudgingly giving you microscopic shreads of meat on your sammich. It's for this reason that I've stopped going to Subways.

Posted by: Throat Slitter ()
Date: October 09, 2012 02:07PM

@Meateater Hellraiser: Agreed...it's strange how things cycle through. How perfectly sound American businesses start out strong and then have their quality quotient's eroded away in the name of holding prices. I remember in the 80's, I had my first taste of Subway and they were great. I went there once or twice a month for lunch for 15 years.

And then in the 00's, Wegman's and Harris Teeter arrived. Have you tried their subs? That's a fucking sub right there, I don't care who you are. Of course, it's hard for Subway to compete against them when the grocery stores classify their sandwhich delis as loss leaders in order to generate foot traffic. But, those are still the 2 best value sandwiches in the area and Subway has no quality quotient response. They just keep pushing those $5 foot longs, with paper thin, shit-tastic meat and 3 week old bread. Why would you eat that when you can take the same money and get a better sandwhich at the grocery store?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.