HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768...LastNext
Current Page: 63 of 145
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: fracturedfairfax ()
Date: November 03, 2016 07:15AM

oold Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > More Annandale area fun...1960
>
> The Ravensworth Park developer (I think his name
> was Mace) must have run out of money on this
> development.
>
> The sidewalks were never finished. There are
> stretches sidewalk here and there but they just
> abruptly end.
>
> Sidewalks were standard equipment in developments
> of that era.

It looks like at least the early phases of Ravensworth Park were built by Community Builders, which was a partnership formed in 1956 by Herman Greenberg, Albert H. Small, Morton I. Funger and Ralph Ochsman when they worked together on the Holiday Park development in Wheaton.

Community Builders also built Sleepy Hollow Woods.

Absolutely Nothing You Need to Know About Fairfax County

Fractured Fairfax

https://www.fracturedfairfax.com
Unnatural Deaths in Fairfax County Map

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: causeican ()
Date: November 03, 2016 08:52AM

fracturedfairfax Wrote:
> oold Wrote:
> -----
> > Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > More Annandale area fun...1960
> >
> > The Ravensworth Park developer (I think his
> name
> > was Mace) must have run out of money on this
> > development.
> >
> > The sidewalks were never finished. There are
> > stretches sidewalk here and there but they just
> > abruptly end.
> >
> > Sidewalks were standard equipment in
> developments
> > of that era.
>
> It looks like at least the early phases of
> Ravensworth Park were built by Community Builders,
> which was a partnership formed in 1956 by Herman
> Greenberg, Albert H. Small, Morton I. Funger and
> Ralph Ochsman when they worked together on the
> Holiday Park development in Wheaton.
>
> Community Builders also built Sleepy Hollow Woods.

“Community Builders”? sounds like a joint venture. That’s what they all do today. Maybe they started it.

Posted by: Just Another Old Fart ()
Date: November 03, 2016 11:08AM

@causeican:

The buildings you circled and labeled are correctly identified as John C. Wood Elementary. There is an online interview with the first principal of Wood Elementary, Aurelia Howland, at https://scholar.lib.vt.edu/faculty_archives/principalship/h/180howland.html. In the interview, she describes Wood and Belle Willard being adjacent to each other. At one point, according to the interview, Ms. Howland served simultaneously as principal of both schools.

Below is excerpt from some materials produced for the School Board in 2009-10 describing the closings of both Belle Willard and Wood Elementary. Wood students were transferred to Layton Hall Elementary, which was just down the road. A few years later, Layton Hall was replaced by the more modern Daniels Run Elementary building, also circled on your map.
Attachments:
Excerpt.jpg

Posted by: 4causican ()
Date: November 03, 2016 11:56AM

The BEST! Thx!

Posted by: Nova ph ()
Date: November 03, 2016 01:08PM

Groundbreaking at 4301 Fairfax Dr., Arlington VA, in May of 1989. Taken from 11th Street. I shot this for the Northen Virginia Sun. A Google street view will show you how that area has changed.
Attachments:
4301 Fairfax Dr Arlington VA-1.jpg

Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: November 03, 2016 03:00PM

Arlington Forest shopping center 1950s then 60s
Attachments:
arlington forest.jpg
arlington forest2.jpg
arlington forest3.jpg

Date: November 03, 2016 03:17PM

W&OD bike path in 1989, at Falls Church West End Shopping Center, right before the bike overpass was built.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2016 03:17PM by Nova ph.
Attachments:
Washington Old Dominion Bike path-216.jpg

Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: November 03, 2016 03:20PM

Fran-Awesome time progression photos...Thanks
Nova ph....thanks for the awesome contribution

Date: November 04, 2016 12:15AM

Can anyone tell me what those rows are?
Attachments:
Layton Hall 1953 City.png

Posted by: oold ()
Date: November 04, 2016 12:30AM

Fran Conia Wrote:
> Arlington Forest shopping center 1950s then 60s

I ate many a sammich from the Forest Deli when I worked near there in the early 70s. The Forest deli was owned by Jack Cohen and his wife and it was the first store to open in the Arlington Forest Shopping Center in 1941. Not positive, but I think Jack's signature sandwich was called the "SteepleJack" and man was it good.

Forest Deli was initially a small grocery store but when the A&P opened in the AF shopping center a year or two later they switched to their deli format.

Arlington Forest homes were priced at $5990 in 1941. $590 down and a 4.5% mortgage...payment was $42 per month for 20 years or $38 for a 25 year loan.
Price those same houses today!

Jack and his wife were barred from buying a house in Arlington Forest because they were Jewish, so they lived nearby. There were even signs posted "NO JEWS" in the early years. The good people of Arlington Forest even boycotted their store for a while. But the Cohens even won over the bigots after awhile and the Deli flourished until the mid-80s when they retired and closed the store.

All this was told to me by Jack Cohen himself.

Date: November 04, 2016 12:54AM

oold Wrote:
> Fran Conia Wrote:
> -----
> > Arlington Forest shopping center 1950s then 60s

> Jack and his wife were barred from buying a house
> in Arlington Forest because they were Jewish, so
> they lived nearby. There were even signs posted
> "NO JEWS" in the early years. The good people of
> Arlington Forest even boycotted their store for a
> while. But the Cohens even won over the bigots
> after awhile and the Deli flourished until the
> mid-80s when they retired and closed the store.
>
> All this was told to me by Jack Cohen himself.

Wow! That’s incredible. Just incredible.

Posted by: CIA recon ()
Date: November 04, 2016 01:02AM

causeican Wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what those rows are?

Maybe orchards of some sort ?
Google image search 'orchard aerial photo' and will see similar.

My guess is an apple orchard.

Posted by: lmcclint ()
Date: November 04, 2016 01:16AM

Len thanks so much for the info. I moved onto Sea Cliff rd in Dec of 1960. My brother Glenn Slagle was BF's with Lonny Northern. I researched the Lewinsville farm Meadowbrook where I used to play as a kid. Mr hammell let us pick apples and my friend on Westbury boarded her horse there. when Mr Northern gave land to build the MSTA pool there were 3 graves in what was the parking lot. When they decided to pave it they moved the graves under it. I figured they must be slaves as John Gilbert the original owner of Meadowbrook had many listed in the census before the civil war. I didn't know about the houses on davidsdon rd though. Right behind the woods behind the football field at MHS there was an old house where a man and his crippled sister lived. He always waved at us kids walking by until he died. Several people on my st graduated with you Sharon Hefflefinger, Christina Stibi and kathy Davis. My brother Glenn Slagle graduated in 69 from MHS.

Posted by: Just Another Old Fart ()
Date: November 04, 2016 10:58AM

It's some kind of crop, but not an apple orchard. The first picture below is a wider shot from historical aerials, taken in 1949. Orchard trees would be spread further apart, as in the area in the same picture around the labels for what are now Layton Hall Drive, Democracy Lane, and University Drive.

For another example of what an orchard would look like, we can refer to the Little River Hills subdivision a mile or two east of here along Little River Turnpike. The description below, taken from an inventory of Fairfax historical structures, states that the first section of this subdivision was formerly a fruit orchard. Sure enough, when you look at the same 1949 aerial short of what is now the entrance to Estel Drive from Little River Turnpike, which would be the front section of this subdivision, you find the pattern of spaced-out trees that denotes an orchard. That's the third shot below.

The final picture is a zoomed-in version of the same 1949 aerial. I can't tell what is being grown here, but perhaps someone else has a better idea.
Attachments:
Shot 1.JPG
Little River Hills.JPG
Shot 2.JPG
Shot 3.JPG

Date: November 04, 2016 11:54AM

2100 15th Street N., Arlington, at the detention center/courthouse, outside the newly-opened AMC theater . Looking at Uhle Street. Homeless, and advocates for homeless marching, in 1989. Amazingly, those two dowdy buildings are still there but new buildings all around them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2016 11:57AM by Nova ph.
Attachments:
Arl Courthouse- Homeless advocates-218.jpg
Arl Courthouse- Homeless advocates-219.jpg
2222.jpg

Posted by: Paul Langley ()
Date: November 04, 2016 03:52PM

Yes that is Columbia pike. If memory serves it was a Gino's before that and Topps before that, before that I do not know.

Posted by: lmcclint ()
Date: November 05, 2016 01:32AM

Len thanks so much for the info. I moved onto Sea Cliff rd in Dec of 1960. My brother Glenn Slagle was BF's with Lonny Northern. I researched the Lewinsville farm Meadowbrook where I used to play as a kid. Mr hammell let us pick apples and my friend on Westbury boarded her horse there. when Mr Northern gave land to build the MSTA pool there were 3 graves in what was the parking lot. When they decided to pave it they moved the graves under it. I figured they must be slaves as John Gilbert the original owner of Meadowbrook had many listed in the census before the civil war. I didn't know about the houses on davidsdon rd though. Right behind the woods behind the football field at MHS there was an old house where a man and his crippled sister lived. He always waved at us kids walking by until he died. Several people on my st graduated with you Sharon Hefflefinger, Christina Stibi and kathy Davis. My brother Glenn Slagle graduated in 69 from MHS.

Date: November 05, 2016 04:02AM

causeican Wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what those rows are?

Could it be lumber, logs, barrels? It doesn’t really look like crops to me but something being stored, maybe.

Date: November 05, 2016 02:41PM

How about some 60's Pickett love.
Attachments:
Pickett-Rd-shopping-center-with-Safeway-and-Drug-Fair-1970.-1024x770.jpg

Date: November 05, 2016 02:58PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> How about some 60's Pickett love.

Nice! Is that the Safeway that eventually turned into Pfaltzgraff Factory Store?

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/1287718.html

Date: November 05, 2016 03:26PM

Fran, I believe so. On the same subject matter, at Fairfax Circle was another "Marina" (that is what the Companies term was for the style) style Safeway that became a natural-hippie style grocery store when I lived on Blake ln in the early 80's Any pics anyone?

Posted by: Photo Detective ()
Date: November 05, 2016 03:55PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> How about some 60's Pickett love.

I have been away for a couple of months on assignments.

The photo was taken in the summer of 1970 and the location is the University Shopping Center.

The Safeway store did become a Pfaltzgraff store after it moved to the new Courthouse Plaza in 1978.

The was a Safeway store in the Turnpike Shopping center at Pickett Road and Little River Turnpike, and it was damaged in the Tornado that went through that area on April 1, 1973

Posted by: Bumping for my Sanity ()
Date: November 08, 2016 08:13AM

Enough with the election BS, gotta keep the best thread on FFXU alive!

Posted by: Len Little ()
Date: November 08, 2016 07:00PM

Davidson road dropped down hill from 123 then rose again on the left was Willie Gaines and across from his house the daughters name was Caroline Cooksie. Then dipped down again where My best friend Bill Nelson and his family were on the same side as the Cooksie's house. Then back uphill to the school and the Northerns. I graduated MHS in 1965, so Lonny was a little to young to be part of my circle of friends, but I remember him now that you mention his name.

Mr. J.J. Lyons was asst principal at MHS and there was a strict code against blue jeans. However I would go from school straight to Mr. Northerns to work. I got around the blue jeans thing by wearing Lee jeans in "Natural" which was a light tan. Same thing just not blue. Because I worked with the Northenr's horses and wore western styled clothes, a lot of students called me Stony Burke, the name of a character on a popular tv western. I am now 69 and although I can't work horses anymore I still wear western attire, including the silk handkerchief and hat.

Posted by: Any White Belt and Shoes ()
Date: November 08, 2016 07:56PM

So you can fix yourself up for a dance with the ladies like me?? In True Hillbilly Style..South of the Rappahannock 40 years behind the fashion curve..Any Hillbilly music heard at Social Circle?? Hunters Lodge?? LOL!!

DAJAX

Posted by: Sigmund ()
Date: November 08, 2016 11:37PM

Hey Sleepy Holla - you have a good memory. When Safeway opened their new store on Nutley Street around 1980 it was a replacement for the Fairfax Circle store. Safeway kept it open for a couple of years as an experiment store that sold hippie / health & generic label food. I can't remember the name but it was a failure. Safeway had a couple different store banners in the DC area at the time. There were Townhouse stores, Safeway International and Food Barn. Food Barn was a discount chain comprised of converted regular Safeway stores that had poor sales. A&P did the same thing and called their discount stores Plus. Some better locations were converted to a Safeway Super Store that sold records, perfume and small appliances. An example was the Safeway on Braddock Road (the one that closed a couple of years ago and is now a Korean store). Anyway, the Fairfax Circle Safeway that sold the hippie food was just a short lived experiment. Fairfax Circle was always horrible to get in and out of. Remember the short lived Giant Food that was at the same center? Later it was Staples. That Giant was only open for a few short years. It wasn't even old when Giant closed down, and they rarely closed stores. Can anyone think of the name that Safeway used as the hippie store?

Date: November 09, 2016 04:06PM

Sigmund, Yea it is killing me. @'81 (I think) I shared a Townhouse w/ some old HS buddies on Blake Lane just up a ways from the 7-11. I remember a few times when it really snowed (we had a huge one I remember) or we were too drunk, we would walk down and but meat, beer, and wine etc. The reason I remember the Hippie aspect was the meat was Hormone free ranch stuff. it was like "World Market" or had "Free" in the name.

Posted by: Sir Postalot ()
Date: November 09, 2016 04:23PM

Circa 2001.
Attachments:
IMG_6959.JPG

Posted by: jeffs345 ()
Date: November 09, 2016 04:29PM

farmers market worked there and nutly over 30 years

Posted by: Old Car Guy ()
Date: November 10, 2016 07:54AM

I never remember a Giant at the Circle shopping center. The Staples location was Dart Drug from at least the 70s until it changed to Staples. There was also a High's on that side of the mall and the big movie theater.

After Safeway left the front side of the mall, it was some sorta off-brand farmer's market that had big wooden baskets at the end of aisles with products in it. I remember you could buy a 6-pack of Stegmaier beer for $1.69 or something close - cheaper than Milwaukee's Best. The far left of the front of the shopping center was a big rug store before Trak Auto moved in which became Advanced Auto.

Posted by: Advanceman ()
Date: November 10, 2016 03:00PM

Aerial view of Riverside Park, on the GW Parkway at Stratford Ln. (just north of Mount Vernon circle). Circa 1965.
Attachments:
AERIAL VIEW OF RIVERSIDE PICNIC AREA AND 'SAFETY FLARED' INTERSECTION LOOKING WEST_ - George Washington Memorial Parkway.jpg

Posted by: Advanceman ()
Date: November 10, 2016 03:02PM

Aerial view of Riverside Park #2, on the GW Parkway at Stratford Ln. (just north of Mount Vernon circle). Circa 1965.
Attachments:
AERIAL VIEW OF RIVERSIDE PICNIC AREA LOOKING NORTH_ - George Washington Memorial Parkway.jpg

Posted by: bYk37 ()
Date: November 10, 2016 08:27PM

Nice. Thx.

Date: November 11, 2016 09:34AM

Who can date this one?
Attachments:
123_n.jpg

Date: November 11, 2016 09:58AM

Fran, Looks like 1965/66 by the look of the 2 cars..Gulf station-cool....nice photo, Thanks!

Date: November 11, 2016 10:15AM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> Fran, Looks like 1965/66 by the look of the 2
> cars..Gulf station-cool....nice photo, Thanks!

BTW, I forgot to mention that I found that pic on this thread,

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/694768.html

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: November 11, 2016 10:48AM

Fran Conia Wrote:
> Who can date this one?

So that Gulf is now the Exxon which is next to the Denny's? I think I have my spot right....

Posted by: Pancakes and Fried Eggs ()
Date: November 11, 2016 12:21PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> Fran Conia Wrote:
> -----
> > Who can date this one?
>
>
>
> So that Gulf is now the Exxon which is next to the
> Denny's? I think I have my spot right....

The Denny's was a Sambo's when it opened, and that large white wall in the background is the old Fairfax Theatre that is now Ourisman Toyota.

Date: November 11, 2016 12:36PM

Pancakes and Fried Eggs Wrote:
> ...in the 22039 Wrote:
> -----
> > Fran Conia Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Who can date this one?
> >
> >
> >
> > So that Gulf is now the Exxon which is next to
> the
> > Denny's? I think I have my spot right....
>
> The Denny's was a Sambo's when it opened, and that
> large white wall in the background is the old
> Fairfax Theatre that is now Ourisman Toyota.

Look what was there before the Gulf...next to the Theatre.
Attachments:
Vincents Diner south side of Route 50 at Chain Bridge Road Fairfax Virginia graphic.jpg

Posted by: Pancakes and Fried Eggs ()
Date: November 11, 2016 09:27PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> Pancakes and Fried Eggs Wrote:
> -----
> > ...in the 22039 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Fran Conia Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Who can date this one?
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > So that Gulf is now the Exxon which is next
> to
> > the
> > > Denny's? I think I have my spot right....
> >
> > The Denny's was a Sambo's when it opened, and
> that
> > large white wall in the background is the old
> > Fairfax Theatre that is now Ourisman Toyota.
>
> Look what was there before the Gulf...next to the
> Theatre.

The theatre was there since the 1930's and the diner was there from the from about the same time period, but the Gulf Station was there also - All three.

So in the very early 1980's I remember the Closed Fairfax Theater, Sambo's, and the Gulf Station all in a neat row.

Across the street was a Exxon Station, and a branch of The National Bank of Fairfax, and Jim McKay used cars.

Date: November 11, 2016 11:52PM

Old Car Guy - the reason few people remember that Giant is because it wasn't there long. My memory is getting worse but I can place it around 1966-1971. Then indeed it became a long time Dart Drug, then Staples. Izzy Cohen probably fired everyone responsible for that location because Giant was so famous for not picking bad locations. The only other lemon location that comes to mind for Giant is the former Springhill Lake apartment store in Greenbelt. Lasted about 4 years. It was a twin to the Heritage Giant that was in Annandale. Anyway, I miss the old original Giant chain. Great stores, decent prices and great management. Good people to work for...

Date: November 12, 2016 08:49AM

Early 1970's Chinese Restaurants 'House Of Liu' that had locations at both Springfield Mall in VA and Landover Mall in MD. Anyone remember these? At Springfield this spot was later converted to Bennigans (upper level next to exit, across from one set of movie theaters. In Landover Mall it was upper level next to Hecht's. Quite a spectacle. See inset photo of the enclosed small kitchen where they cooked exotic meats. Give me these old time places anytime over Panda Express. Sadly, few of these mall palaces are still operating. Change in eating habits killed them off.
Attachments:
houseliu springfield landover.jpg
hose liu 2.jpg

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: November 12, 2016 09:32AM

I vaguely remember the House of Liu, never ate there. I think that it was on the side of the mall facing Loisdale Drive right across from the original theatres in the mall.

I was more interested in the House of the Eight Immortals and Honolulu, which were places that were very relaxed regarding carding of the under-aged drinkers of those "choice cocktails and Polynesian drinks."

Date: November 12, 2016 10:10AM

A Request Please:

Pics of "old" West Springfield, Burke, and Fairfax Station areas from the 70s and 80s - thanks, in advance!

This is the area I "grew up" in...

Date: November 12, 2016 10:46AM

blanche Wrote:
> I vaguely remember the House of Liu, never ate
> there. I think that it was on the side of the mall
> facing Loisdale Drive right across from the
> original theatres in the mall.
>
> I was more interested in the House of the Eight
> Immortals and Honolulu, which were places that
> were very relaxed regarding carding of the
> under-aged drinkers of those "choice cocktails and
> Polynesian drinks."

I agree Blanche...you mean the Inn of the Eight Immortals at Seven Corners?

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: November 12, 2016 11:43AM

Yes, Sleepy - the Inn of the Eight Immortals at Seven Corners, its getting to be a long time ago that I was an under-age drinker...

Also, La Mancha at the corner of Cherokee and Edsal Road - Good Times!

Date: November 12, 2016 12:01PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> A Request Please:
>
>
> Pics of "old" West Springfield, Burke, and Fairfax
> Station areas from the 70s and 80s - thanks, in
> advance!
>
> This is the area I "grew up" in...

Have you seen this one from page 27 of this thread?
Burke 7-11 1978.
Attachments:
burke 1978.jpg

Date: November 12, 2016 12:06PM

blanche Wrote:
> Yes, Sleepy - the Inn of the Eight Immortals at
> Seven Corners, its getting to be a long time ago
> that I was an under-age drinker...
>
> Also, La Mancha at the corner of Cherokee and
> Edsal Road - Good Times!

Ah Blanche, Only a few years ago :) You are as young as you feel.

Posted by: Lotus Empire in Actiondale ()
Date: November 12, 2016 12:17PM

Also known as the rock and roll eggroll.

Date: November 12, 2016 02:37PM

Okay this one is from an old Yorktown high school yearbook so I guess its from Arlington somewhere and I think that car on the right is a circa 1971 Ford Torino and from the reflection in the glass it looks like a station wagon.
Attachments:
yorkyown mcdees.jpg

Posted by: Sir Kekalot ()
Date: November 12, 2016 02:45PM

I love how this thread has more views than Cary's pinned post from 2005.

Posted by: KingsarmsT ()
Date: November 12, 2016 09:50PM

I think the McDonald's in the photo is the one located at 4834 Lee Hwy (near Glebe Road). I hung out with a bunch of Yorktown people in the early 70s and that McDonalds was definitely one of their favorite places to gather.

Date: November 12, 2016 10:01PM

Fran Conia Wrote:
> ...in the 22039 Wrote:
> -----
> > A Request Please:
> >
> >
> > Pics of "old" West Springfield, Burke, and
> Fairfax
> > Station areas from the 70s and 80s - thanks, in
> > advance!
> >
> > This is the area I "grew up" in...
>
>
> Have you seen this one from page 27 of this
> thread?
> Burke 7-11 1978.

Yes, the old 7-11, which stood until probably the early to mid 80s.

My Mom wrote to the USPS when the plans were drawn up for the new Burke Post Office, asking for a drive-thru window. She was referred to Philadelphia, and upon their review, changed their plans, adding the drive-thru window.

It was pretty neat to hear her idea pitched, then review, all the way to Philly, where we presumed the USPS was HQ'd. Anyways, I always thought her idea was unique, as I hadn't seen a window like that before...

Date: November 13, 2016 12:54PM

Thanks Sigmund - that time period pre-dates my earliest memories!! My parents shopped at Giant, and I only recall going to Oakton Shopping Center but I am sure they went to the circle when the store was located there. That was the time period when the old Oakton post office was in a gravel lot at the intersection of 123 and Hunter Mill Road. Same time there was a driving range at the intersection of Jermantown road and 123 - now that big ugly AT&T building. Ah old times...

Posted by: 9X3w7 ()
Date: November 13, 2016 02:25PM

This school doesn't look like and old picture - and the fence looks newer - appears to be a falsely labeled photo or not from Fairfax.

Schools in Virginia never had fences until the 2000's.

Posted by: 9EtDW ()
Date: November 13, 2016 02:25PM

Attachments:
img.png

Date: November 13, 2016 09:30PM

9X3w7 Wrote:
> This school doesn't look like and old picture -
> and the fence looks newer - appears to be a
> falsely labeled photo or not from Fairfax.
>
> Schools in Virginia never had fences until the
> 2000's.

Annandale High School built in 1954 had a 6 foot fence all the way around it. Including gates on Four Year Run.

Posted by: OldtimeResident ()
Date: November 14, 2016 12:26PM

Sigmund Wrote:
> Old Car Guy - the reason few people remember that
> Giant is because it wasn't there long. My memory
> is getting worse but I can place it around
> 1966-1971.

It was still there in the 70's I remember driving there so it had to be post 1974

Date: November 14, 2016 01:09PM

I definitely remember going to Giant at Oakton Shopping Center in 73/74 - again would be surprised we went there instead of the Circle if the Giant was still there as that was much closer to where we lived. Would love to see some old pics of that shopping center pre-1972.

Date: November 14, 2016 01:48PM

I would just LOVE to see any old pics of that shopping center...esp the Safeway. My Mom and Dad would go to a restaurant in that center also, Dino's Den.

Date: November 14, 2016 01:57PM

Posted by OldFFX Dave in an old thread gives light into what was what at the Circle shopping Center...very cool...helps jog the memory. The Aunt Jemima Restaurant was before my time here, as we came in 66/67

Posted by: OldFFXDave ()
Date: October 01, 2011 01:33PM
n
I go way back before the Circle Shopping Center existed. Howard Johnson's
was located where there is now Dunkin' Donuts. Tops was located where the
Korean Restaurant stands. It was the only place to buy Kentucky Fried Chicken.
It later became Gino's. Dino's Den was located behind Dunkin Donuts and
next to what was Dart Drug store. Safeway was also located in that part
of the shopping center, as was a cleaners and a branch of the National Bank
of Fairfax.

The other part of the shopping center consisted of a barber shop, a theatre,
Magellan's Gift Store, Giant Supermarket, and Aunt Jemima's was located
in the front of the shopping center. It later became a chinese restaurant.

The circle in the late 50's and early 60's was an actual circle around a large
mound of dirt that resembled an inverted pie pan. Deer would play on top
of the mound, and a giant evergreen was in the middle. Christmas lights
would adorn the tree during the winter. There were a few gas stations and
an open-air 7-11 market. Bob's Diner and Beefhouse was on the left as
you headed out 50/29 and toward Fairfax and Rt. 123. Hope this helps.

Posted by: UTVTK ()
Date: November 14, 2016 06:09PM

What is an open air 7-11?

Date: November 14, 2016 06:38PM

Nice grab from the time machine Sleepy Holla. I remember getting a hot dog from that Howard Johnson's in the early 1970s which must have been days old as I called it a "rubber dog" and never let my mother take me back there again.

Dino's Den - another blast from the past, never went in there but in my head I pictured it as Fairfax's version of the Regal Beagle with Jack Tripper and Larry Dallas inside.

Kinda confused by Old Ffx Dave though - is he saying both Safeway AND Giant were in that shopping center at the same time? And is he saying Dart Drug was on the front of the shopping center near the Safeway? The only place I recall the Dart Drug was what ended up as Staples - seems like the only other logic space to house a supermarket in that center.

Old Ffx Dave - you still around???

Posted by: Rhemus ()
Date: November 14, 2016 08:14PM

Just got to love that hap hazard Arlington sidewalk look!

Date: November 14, 2016 11:16PM

Old Car Guy - I really wish someone could locate old photos of the Fairfax Circle Shopping Center and settle what was where. We are all clear on where Safeway was situated. The Giant did become a Dart Drug, I am certain. I don't know what was on the far left of the shopping center where Godfathers Pizza and Trak Auto was in the 80's... I do know that the original developer was Herbert Haft owner of Dart and Combined Properties. At the time Giant also used to develop and own shopping centers. In the early 70's Dart used to have a store called Dart Home. Anyone remember it? It was like Hechinger's and sold all types of wood paneling and light fixtures, etc. The confusing thing about Fairfax Circle is that it did not have a Peoples Drug. The 1960's standard combination used to be Safeway & Peoples Drug went into most new centers OR Giant & Dart Drug. (of course there were many exceptions with Drug Fair). Sometimes it was A&P with Drug Fair. It all came down to the developer. Someone please find us some pictures!

Posted by: DH ()
Date: November 15, 2016 06:53AM

I remember the Dart Home. There was one at Barcroft Plaza where the Harris Teeter is now. I bought the stuff to build my first cinder block and wood shelving unit there. If I remember right, that was like the early 80's.

Date: November 15, 2016 07:56AM

Sigmund - I never remember a Godfather's Pizza in that shopping center. Gino's adjacent to Dunkin Donuts turned into a pizza restaurant for a while in the mid-80s before it became the Asian market. In the 70s, when we wanted pizza we went to Shakey's which was near Kamp Washington on Lee Hwy (torn down and now a Hampton Inn).

If you are looking at the side of the Circle center directly behind Dunkin Donuts - in the late 70s from left to right it was a large carpet store which became Trak Auto/Radio Shack etc., Dino's Den, Barber shop, cleaners, bank, then the space where the Safeway was located to the corner.
On the back side from right to left was Dart Drug, something?, High's, and the theatre. In the parking lot was a small standalone HR Block and I think some type of restaurant that became Ruby Tuesday. I may be missing something.

The closest People's was at Oakton Shopping center (now CVS). The other drug store we used was Rodman's which was in the Fairfax Plaza shopping center that is being torn down in Fairfax City near the intersection of Lee Hwy and 123 - where Hooters used to be. That center also housed the DMV for a long time (where I first got my drivers license.)

I recall there was a good amount of turnover in the circle shopping center when Pan Am opened about 1980 (which is when the Safeway moved).

Date: November 15, 2016 09:52AM

DH Wrote:
> I remember the Dart Home. There was one at
> Barcroft Plaza where the Harris Teeter is now. I
> bought the stuff to build my first cinder block
> and wood shelving unit there. If I remember right,
> that was like the early 80's.

DH, Did it become a Dart Home or was it a large DD/DH combo? When it opened it was a Dart Drug (1976ish) because we would go in the back (one of the first walk in Beer coolers) and chug beers in the store cooler while one would watch out, and vise-versa:) Then we would buy some and leave...

Date: November 15, 2016 01:00PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> DH Wrote:
> -----
> > I remember the Dart Home. There was one at
> > Barcroft Plaza where the Harris Teeter is now.
> I
> > bought the stuff to build my first cinder block
> > and wood shelving unit there. If I remember
> right,
> > that was like the early 80's.
>
> DH, Did it become a Dart Home or was it a large
> DD/DH combo? When it opened it was a Dart Drug
> (1976ish) because we would go in the back (one of
> the first walk in Beer coolers) and chug beers in
> the store cooler while one would watch out, and
> vise-versa:) Then we would buy some and leave...

Hey Sleepy, you know I don't remember. Anytime we needed a Dart Drug, we always went to the one at Loehmanns Plaza. I'm thinking it might have been a DD/DH combo. I was living off of Rose Lane and Dart Home was the closest.
That's funny about the beer. I had a friend who worked in the meat dept. at Giant and we would get beers from the cooler and take them into the meat cooler room and drink them. The things we did when we were younger and before in store cameras.

Date: November 15, 2016 05:44PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> DH Wrote:
> -----
> > I remember the Dart Home. There was one at
> > Barcroft Plaza where the Harris Teeter is now.
> I
> > bought the stuff to build my first cinder block
> > and wood shelving unit there. If I remember
> right,
> > that was like the early 80's.
>
> DH, Did it become a Dart Home or was it a large
> DD/DH combo? When it opened it was a Dart Drug
> (1976ish) because we would go in the back (one of
> the first walk in Beer coolers) and chug beers in
> the store cooler while one would watch out, and
> vise-versa:) Then we would buy some and leave...

Would you chug or would you shotgun? haha

Date: November 15, 2016 06:03PM

Chug, definitely Chug!

Posted by: IF patrol ()
Date: November 16, 2016 08:17PM

Mystical Lusions Wrote:
--------------------------------------------------
>
> Would it be too much to ask you to credit the
> Facebook groups you are harvesting all this recent
> content from, so they don't get reposted right
> back into the same groups months later? It would
> also be courteous to credit the folks who posted
> the images over there in the first place. Those
> folks have spent a lot of personal time finding
> those images and debuting them on the internet.
> Their efforts should be recognized.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
>
I hate to have to be the one to tell you that you are an ignorant fuck. Facebook users have been pulling content from this thread for years and I'm sure it has gone the other way as well. Thank you and God bless you.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: November 16, 2016 09:08PM

Haven't followed the whole thread through, Just a comment and probably not what your talking about. Shoppers went into Rolling Valley Mall after maybe an A&P? and the Movie Theater closed it also housed a Dart Home, Safeway at Twinbrook shared the center with a Dart Drug, and Dart Home which became Outback and Dart Drug CVS? I know the Hafts where into many Malls and stores, Shoppers, Dart Drug, Dart Home, Staples, Total Wine just to name a few. Fair City Mall Had a Giant, Shoppers but not sure about Dart Drug or Dart Home...

Posted by: Jaymes ()
Date: November 17, 2016 06:27PM

no one wants to read you trashy talk GTFO

Posted by: Hmmmm ()
Date: November 17, 2016 07:07PM

Burke Brat Wrote:
> Haven't followed the whole thread through, Just a
> comment and probably not what your talking about.
> Shoppers went into Rolling Valley Mall after maybe
> an A&P? and the Movie Theater closed it also
> housed a Dart Home, Safeway at Twinbrook shared
> the center with a Dart Drug, and Dart Home which
> became Outback and Dart Drug CVS? I know the Hafts
> where into many Malls and stores, Shoppers, Dart
> Drug, Dart Home, Staples, Total Wine just to name
> a few. Fair City Mall Had a Giant, Shoppers but
> not sure about Dart Drug or Dart Home...

Not arguing with you, but minor data points: we lived in Shannon Station from 1986 to 1990. I don't remember a grocery store at that plaza; we shopped at the Giant and the Basics at Old Keene Mill and Rolling Rd. If it was an A&P, I think I'd remember it, 'cause they had a couple of house brands that we liked. And while Giant was The Store back then (yes, kids, Giant *used* to be good!), Basics wasn't anything to go out of your way to visit, so it's not like we were turning up our noses at other stores.

Plus there was some electronics store in that plaza; I remember spending $679 in 1988 dollars for a 27" floor model TV! Many dollars, much larger than today, for a TV that most people wouldn't even bother to power on now...

Posted by: OLDDENIZEN ()
Date: November 17, 2016 07:24PM

Burke Brat Wrote:
Fair City Mall Had a Giant, Shoppers but
> not sure about Dart Drug or Dart Home...&P

Fair City mall was reconfigured. It had a Giant (I think where Ross is now. ) a little further down Pickett where Shopper is now there was a huge Dart Home, Crown Books and a A&P.

Posted by: No Giant At Fair City Mall ()
Date: November 17, 2016 08:08PM

The Giant at Pickett opened about 1967 and closed about 2008..It never was in Fair City.

Fair City Mall had Charlies Pizza..The Christian Book Store..A Long Time..from when they opened, and not long just a few years after became.. "Bankruptcy Court Mall..The Movie Theater is still there replacing the Pickett Movie Theater.. Dart Home ..Dart Drug were anchors when it opened in 73 Id say..and They had closed by 1976 abouts..The Dart Drug had moved from Pickett then Became Chuckie Cheese back in the 80's and I cant believe its been there that long and doing strong..Fair City also had a Erols Video Place and a Chinese resturauant that was there a long time. The Old Country Buffet was in the older part of the mall then moved to the Location it was at when it closed when they did a ReHab . The Thai Restrauant was there also a good while and is now closed.. Mama Lucia has been there a long time too.

DAJAX

Posted by: TV's Many Things Were Expensive ()
Date: November 17, 2016 08:16PM

>Many dollars, much larger than today, for a TV that most people wouldn't even bother to power on now...

In 1974 I bought a RCA color 26 " TV in a cabinet that was Nice ..no Big Deal, It cost me 475 dollars.. That would be about Oh.. maybe 3500 today or something like that.. Radio FM recievers that powered turntables, Reel To reel Decks went for about 125 for a Decent Pioneer or other one.. That's about 600 dollars today.. I paid 200 a month in payments for a truck in 1974 to 75 and that was a whole lot back then.. as much as Rent on a 2 BR Apt..was plus!!

DAJAX I Had That RCA TV till about 1994 !!

Posted by: Monkey Wards ()
Date: November 17, 2016 08:25PM

1981 I paid 349 for a nineteen inch colar tv, and it was also a floor model. That old boy worked until 2001 in my garage.

Posted by: tv restorer ()
Date: November 17, 2016 09:43PM

I just finished restoring a 1955 RCA CTC4 color tv.

That set cost $895 in 1955 which is about $8000 today (a house didn't cost much more!). Considering that only a handful of TV shows were broadcast in color, these sets were truly for the idle rich.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: November 17, 2016 10:24PM

Hmmmm Wrote:
> Burke Brat Wrote:
> -----
> > Haven't followed the whole thread through, Just
> a
> > comment and probably not what your talking
> about.
> > Shoppers went into Rolling Valley Mall after
> maybe
> > an A&P? and the Movie Theater closed it also
> > housed a Dart Home, Safeway at Twinbrook shared
> > the center with a Dart Drug, and Dart Home
> which
> > became Outback and Dart Drug CVS? I know the
> Hafts
> > where into many Malls and stores, Shoppers,
> Dart
> > Drug, Dart Home, Staples, Total Wine just to
> name
> > a few. Fair City Mall Had a Giant, Shoppers but
> > not sure about Dart Drug or Dart Home...
>
> Not arguing with you, but minor data points: we
> lived in Shannon Station from 1986 to 1990. I
> don't remember a grocery store at that plaza; we
> shopped at the Giant and the Basics at Old Keene
> Mill and Rolling Rd. If it was an A&P, I think I'd
> remember it, 'cause they had a couple of house
> brands that we liked. And while Giant was The
> Store back then (yes, kids, Giant *used* to be
> good!), Basics wasn't anything to go out of your
> way to visit, so it's not like we were turning up
> our noses at other stores.
>
> Plus there was some electronics store in that
> plaza; I remember spending $679 in 1988 dollars
> for a 27" floor model TV! Many dollars, much
> larger than today, for a TV that most people
> wouldn't even bother to power on now...

We moved to Burke in 1972, I am referring to Old Keene Mill and Shiplett Blvd, It may have been A&P before Basics, little Foggy. The Guy in this Photo Owned a Sub Shop, Les Trios? in the mall, we only had a few choices before Dominos came along, Victors at OKM and Rolling, Angie quit working with Victors and opened up a place in Twinbrook, Giant that is now HHMart was only a few pipes laying on the ground in the field with 2 trails leading to 7-11, later the Burke shopping center housed a TV Store and Caravels, Burke Hardware, Dr Doolittles Petshop, Pepperoni Stick, Sporting Goods store, Hair Cuttery, Merchants. for the other Post, Not sure if Fair City mall encompassed both Malls on the Left side, the first one had Rangers Surplus and the ABC store, the 2nd now has Best Buy, Jerrys Pizza and the movie Theater. (until another Thread on FFU I did not know they owned both Movie Theaters, University Mall and Fair City Mall) Just throwing it out there, Ravensworth and OKM and Rolling strip malls,seem to have the same Brickwork, I know we used to climb the Bricks as kids. I also might add Tiaki Grill used to be a Hardees and across the Road was Burger Chef now Einstein Bagels next to 7-11.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 10:43PM by Burke Brat.
Attachments:
1218-Edward-T-Adams-aka-Eddie-Adams-Street-execution-of-a-Vietcong-prisoner-Saigon-01.jpg

Posted by: Greg Ross ()
Date: November 18, 2016 11:33AM

I went to Lake Braddock with that guys son. I think the kids name was Larry Win or something. The picture was from life magazine and Larry told us that his dad was the police chief of a town in Vietnam and was executing a murderer under marshall law and he did so with American troops present.

Posted by: t4pY4 ()
Date: November 18, 2016 01:07PM

Greg Ross Wrote:
> I went to Lake Braddock with that guys son. I
> think the kids name was Larry Win or something.
> The picture was from life magazine and Larry told
> us that his dad was the police chief of a town in
> Vietnam and was executing a murderer under
> marshall law and he did so with American troops
> present.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nguy%E1%BB%85n_Ng%E1%BB%8Dc_Loan

Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: November 18, 2016 03:06PM

Monkey Wards Wrote:
> 1981 I paid 349 for a nineteen inch colar tv, and
> it was also a floor model. That old boy worked
> until 2001 in my garage.

We didn't have a color tv until I was 10 yrs. old. In '79 we finally got one

We got a 19 inch Sylvania Superset from the Circuit City near Springfield Mall.

I think it was around $425.00

This was during Carter's stagflation admin. so prices were always going up.

My dad almost got an RCA, but decided on the Sylvania

He had seen the commercial where the dude brags Sylvania beats a Sony. The Japanese guy goes "Numnoscha....or something like that

That Sylvania lasted until '94, but we did have the picture tube replaced around '88 or '89.

Date: November 18, 2016 03:45PM

My first TV purchase was a 19" color Zenith in 1981 - just under $500 (almost a years worth of wages from being a paperboy.) I just threw it away 3 years ago and yes it still worked fine. Damn thing must have weighed 50 lbs.

Old Fair City Mall - where the Lifetime Fitness is now used to be an Evans - a bit cheaper version of Best Company (where Aldi is now in Kamp Washington). I don't recall what was there before the Evans.

The inset Picket shopping center also had a large Ben Franklin on the side opposite the Giant - used to get art supplies there in the mid-70s.

Going even further back - the intersection of Jermantown Road and Lee Hwy used to be a big junkyard in the early 70s before it was K-mart (and now Lowes). It was either Skips or Banks which moved way down 95 around Stafford after it left Fairfax.

Date: November 18, 2016 04:45PM

In the early 80's I bought a Sony Betamax from Best Co. in Merrifield. I liked it because the tapes were smaller than VHS tapes. I thought it was the coolest thing around. It had a 24 hr. timer and the remote was wired. The first movie we ever watched in it was Caddyshack. Caddyshack, over and over and over. We use to record all the Midnight Special concert shows. BTW, I paid like $450 dollars for it. LOL!

Posted by: The Deli Since 1979 ()
Date: November 18, 2016 06:03PM

Old Car Guy Wrote:
> My first TV purchase was a 19" color Zenith in
> 1981 - just under $500 (almost a years worth of
> wages from being a paperboy.) I just threw it
> away 3 years ago and yes it still worked fine.
> Damn thing must have weighed 50 lbs.
>
> Old Fair City Mall - where the Lifetime Fitness is
> now used to be an Evans - a bit cheaper version of
> Best Company (where Aldi is now in Kamp
> Washington). I don't recall what was there before
> the Evans.
>
> The inset Picket shopping center also had a large
> Ben Franklin on the side opposite the Giant - used
> to get art supplies there in the mid-70s.
>
> Going even further back - the intersection of
> Jermantown Road and Lee Hwy used to be a big
> junkyard in the early 70s before it was K-mart
> (and now Lowes). It was either Skips or Banks
> which moved way down 95 around Stafford after it
> left Fairfax.

The junkyard was "Belle Air" auto parts, and when the land was sold the junk yard re-located out to the wilderness of Gainesville, and the Color Ad sign company moved as well, but I don't know where.

The Kmart opened in 1977 or 1978.

Posted by: Smee69 ()
Date: November 18, 2016 06:52PM

The Deli Since 1979 Wrote:
> Old Car Guy Wrote:
> -----
> > My first TV purchase was a 19" color Zenith in
> > 1981 - just under $500 (almost a years worth of
> > wages from being a paperboy.) I just threw it
> > away 3 years ago and yes it still worked fine.
> > Damn thing must have weighed 50 lbs.
> >
> > Old Fair City Mall - where the Lifetime Fitness
> is
> > now used to be an Evans - a bit cheaper version
> of
> > Best Company (where Aldi is now in Kamp
> > Washington). I don't recall what was there
> before
> > the Evans.
> >
> > The inset Picket shopping center also had a
> large
> > Ben Franklin on the side opposite the Giant -
> used
> > to get art supplies there in the mid-70s.
> >
> > Going even further back - the intersection of
> > Jermantown Road and Lee Hwy used to be a big
> > junkyard in the early 70s before it was K-mart
> > (and now Lowes). It was either Skips or Banks
> > which moved way down 95 around Stafford after
> it
> > left Fairfax.
>
> The junkyard was "Belle Air" auto parts, and when
> the land was sold the junk yard re-located out to
> the wilderness of Gainesville, and the Color Ad
> sign company moved as well, but I don't know
> where.
>
> The Kmart opened in 1977 or 1978.

I bought a 19" Magnavox at Sears in early 80s...it lasted 14 years. Best tv I ever owned.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: November 18, 2016 08:21PM

Smee69 Wrote:
> I bought a 19" Magnavox at Sears in early 80s...it
> lasted 14 years. Best tv I ever owned.

Best how? Better than a 40" HDTV now? Not to pick a fight, but that's hard to believe...

Date: November 18, 2016 09:43PM

Smee69 Wrote:
> The Deli Since 1979 Wrote:
> -----
> > Old Car Guy Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > My first TV purchase was a 19" color Zenith
> in
> > > 1981 - just under $500 (almost a years worth
> of
> > > wages from being a paperboy.) I just threw
> it
> > > away 3 years ago and yes it still worked fine.
>
> > > Damn thing must have weighed 50 lbs.
> > >
> > > Old Fair City Mall - where the Lifetime
> Fitness
> > is
> > > now used to be an Evans - a bit cheaper
> version
> > of
> > > Best Company (where Aldi is now in Kamp
> > > Washington). I don't recall what was there
> > before
> > > the Evans.
> > >
> > > The inset Picket shopping center also had a
> > large
> > > Ben Franklin on the side opposite the Giant -
> > used
> > > to get art supplies there in the mid-70s.
> > >
> > > Going even further back - the intersection of
> > > Jermantown Road and Lee Hwy used to be a big
> > > junkyard in the early 70s before it was
> K-mart
> > > (and now Lowes). It was either Skips or
> Banks
> > > which moved way down 95 around Stafford after
> > it
> > > left Fairfax.
> >
> > The junkyard was "Belle Air" auto parts, and
> when
> > the land was sold the junk yard re-located out
> to
> > the wilderness of Gainesville, and the Color Ad
> > sign company moved as well, but I don't know
> > where.
> >
> > The Kmart opened in 1977 or 1978.
>
>
> I bought a 19" Magnavox at Sears in early 80s...it
> lasted 14 years. Best tv I ever owned.

Before that, TVs (and other electronics and guitars) sold by Sears used to be branded "Silvertone". Many were made for them by RCA.

Same deal with Kenmore appliances. If you bought an appliance at Sears, it said Kenmore on it.

Date: November 19, 2016 07:20AM

Random shot of Old Towne Alexandria from the 1980s.
Attachments:
ota80s.jpg

Date: November 19, 2016 07:24AM

My Dad listened to Harden & Weaver every morning before work.
Attachments:
harden weaver.jpg

Posted by: Smee69 ()
Date: November 19, 2016 07:38AM

Greybeard Wrote:
> Smee69 Wrote:
> -----
> > I bought a 19" Magnavox at Sears in early
> 80s...it
> > lasted 14 years. Best tv I ever owned.
>
> Best how? Better than a 40" HDTV now? Not to pick
> a fight, but that's hard to believe...

Best as in most reliable and long-lasting. I had a flat screen HDTV that died after 9 years. It was one of the first models sold, so I guess all of the bugs hadn't been worked out?? I have a 60" now, and so far so good.

Date: November 19, 2016 08:56AM

@Smee69 How much did you pay for each? Just curious.

Date: November 19, 2016 08:59AM

Greybeard Wrote:
> Smee69 Wrote:
> -----
> > I bought a 19" Magnavox at Sears in early
> 80s...it
> > lasted 14 years. Best tv I ever owned.
>
> Best how? Better than a 40" HDTV now? Not to pick
> a fight, but that's hard to believe...

He said “Best tv -- I == ever owned."

Posted by: greg ross ()
Date: November 19, 2016 09:02AM

All this talk about old TV's made me think about my big sisters Montgomery Wards stereo with disco lights! My Mom and Dad bought it for her because she got straight A's for a whole school year. We kept it in the basement and it was the talk of the neighborhood for a month or so. I think this was late 70s.
Attachments:
wards stereo.jpg

Posted by: XFJJC ()
Date: November 19, 2016 12:12PM

Old Car Guy Wrote:
> Going even further back - the intersection of
> Jermantown Road and Lee Hwy used to be a big
> junkyard in the early 70s before it was K-mart
> (and now Lowes). It was either Skips or Banks
> which moved way down 95 around Stafford after it
> left Fairfax.

^this I didn't know. Thx.

All these posts on the shopping centers are great.

Date: November 19, 2016 01:17PM

Another awesome Wilson Blvd Gas Station shot-mid 50's by DC Photographer...dig the Coke Machine that used to be in front of every Service Station.
Attachments:
wilsonblvd.jpg

Date: November 19, 2016 01:52PM

Herndon 1912
Attachments:
1912 herndon.jpg

Posted by: gbw ()
Date: November 19, 2016 02:07PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> Another awesome Wilson Blvd Gas Station shot-mid
> 50's by DC Photographer...dig the Coke Machine
> that used to be in front of every Service Station.

Do you know where on Wilson Blvd this was? I like the license plate that says "Arlington". Wonder when they stopped doing that? Even back then mechanics were taking advantage of women!!!!!

Pages: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768...LastNext
Current Page: 63 of 145

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.