HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 145
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Dana Pence ()
Date: November 14, 2014 08:04PM

I've never been to this site before and don't see that this is reference the photo in question. I'll proceed under the assumption that it is. Referring to the photo of the mansion, it is the Maplewood Mansion. It was on the opposite side of the Dolly Madison Blvd. from the original Tysons Corner Mall - towards the Lewinsville side. It was built in 1874 and owned by several different families over the years. It was demolished in 1970, no doubt by developers before the Fairfax County Historical Society to put a stop to it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fxcograd ()
Date: November 15, 2014 08:32AM

Are you sure that last one is Van Dorn? I dont remember a water tower and (what appears to be) concrete plant next to the tracks, it also appears to be a little flat. Even before they cut Van Dorn out to get under the Metro and the Railroad - it graded down in the direction toward Landmark.About 82 I was working at the Coca Cola plant on Seminary and lived in Franconia. If I didnt get over those tracks by a certain time of the morning I would get caught behind a long morning train at the Van Dorn Crossing. Put car in park - aint goin anywhere for a while- late for work.

Poo Poo and Pee Pee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I found some videos on Youtube of railfanning done
> at the former railroad crossings at Burke Road,
> Burke Lake Road, and Van Dorn Street:
>
> Burke Road -
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRXcCwvn4ZM
>
> Burke Lake Road -
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDk53PIkBwQ
>
> Van Dorn Street -
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tdcuIYGcMs

Date: November 15, 2014 09:57AM

I think the angle of the train crossing shot labeled as Van Dorn is throwing me off. It just occurred to me that the water tower might have been attached to Cameron station and the concrete plant may be part of the Vulcan materials operation. It seems nearly impossible to find pictures of Cameron Station as the army base it actually was- all the internet searches turn up glitzy town houses. An employee at my company recently transferred here from another city and purchased a place in Cameron Station. He was amazed to find out that the spot he lives on was an army base (thus "Station").

Tidbit- Cameron station was receiving and holding spot for war dogs.

http://www.jbmf.us/hst-korea.aspx

http://olive-drab.com/od_wardogs_korea.php

(and Belvoir in WWII)

http://vmpa.ordnancereproductions.com/wardogs.htm

Posted by: Pete Weetey ()
Date: November 15, 2014 02:52PM

That definitely is Van Dorn Street... When the camera pans left, you can see the flyover ramps that took Van Dorn over that crossing under construction. As a young train nerd I used to love getting stuck at that crossing whenever my folks made a trip to Landmark. In fact, my favorite birthday dinner out used to be "Victoria Station" located right up the block from that crossing. Had dining areas made from boxcars and cabooses. ** shrug ** 8-year-old me thought it was cool.

Posted by: convict ()
Date: November 15, 2014 04:35PM

Fairfax county Adult detention center 1947.
Attachments:
jail1947.jpg

Date: November 15, 2014 08:23PM

Wow, you must be the only person who likes getting stuck at a train crossing. I thought Victoria Crossing was pretty cool too but I was 10 or 12 when that opened I think. Therefore being older, I'm having a senior moment- somebody confirm or correct me, the water tower I see in the video is at the back of Cameron Station-am I right? The thing that is throwing me off is the grading- going toward landmark the road now grades down once under the Beltway then again UNDER the tracks and Metrorail before hitting Eisenhower. Im a bit lost about where that flyover is. Too bad the pan dint pick up victoria station (or was it closed by 83?)

I found a different vid at the same spot that shows a high rise condo in the back that is definately Van Dorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ4D0KbIOZg

Pete Weetey Wrote:
> That definitely is Van Dorn Street... When the
> camera pans left, you can see the flyover ramps
> that took Van Dorn over that crossing under
> construction. As a young train nerd I used to
> love getting stuck at that crossing whenever my
> folks made a trip to Landmark. In fact, my
> favorite birthday dinner out used to be "Victoria
> Station" located right up the block from that
> crossing. Had dining areas made from boxcars and
> cabooses. ** shrug ** 8-year-old me thought it
> was cool.

Posted by: SIeepy Holla ()
Date: November 16, 2014 11:17AM

Fore they built Fairfax Courthouse, this is a colorized photo of Urp's Store in 1799
Attachments:
image.jpg

Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: November 16, 2014 11:39AM

Really funny and original......appears the trolls have descended....too bad they can't add any REAL info or photos...just like we assumed all along....posers. HA!

Posted by: Question about LRT ()
Date: November 16, 2014 05:34PM

I've always wondered about these 3 businesses at the intersection of Little River Tpke & Columbia Pike. Does anyone know the history behind them? They kind of look like houses that were converted to businesses.
Attachments:
LRT.jpg

Posted by: Ye Ole Woodson Man ()
Date: November 16, 2014 07:35PM

One was a plumbing company maybe still is. Shillingburg .. Something like that. A business in a rear alley there sold lawn mowers and parts.They may still be there. The other two are a mystery.The middle one looks like a old general store. Yes the one to the left the plumber I think looks like a house converted to business use. The middle looks too big and the far right looks business like but could have been a house too. The brick Colonial look was very popular for a long time around NOVA and still is.

If anyone has a question like this and they want to research it ask away here of course. Or you can go to the Fairfax City Library and on the 2nd floor is the Virginia Room with all kind of old info including old phone books, of course you would have to have an idea of what the business was..so ask here first.

Posted by: Old Dude ()
Date: November 16, 2014 07:47PM

Ye Ole Woodson Man Wrote:
> One was a plumbing company maybe still is.
> Shillingburg .. Something like that. A business in
> a rear alley there sold lawn mowers and
> parts.They may still be there. The other two are a
> mystery.The middle one looks like a old general
> store. Yes the one to the left the plumber I think
> looks like a house converted to business use. The
> middle looks too big and the far right looks
> business like but could have been a house too. The
> brick Colonial look was very popular for a long
> time around NOVA and still is.
>
> If anyone has a question like this and they want
> to research it ask away here of course. Or you can
> go to the Fairfax City Library and on the 2nd
> floor is the Virginia Room with all kind of old
> info including old phone books, of course you
> would have to have an idea of what the business
> was..so ask here first.

Steinhorst. Yes, it's still there. As is the lawn mower place behind it though now Asian-owned like most of Annandale now.

Those have all been businesses for as long as I've been around here but I assume that they were homes at one point. A lot of Little River used to look the same. The Old Penguin Feather to the west and other areas down toward Jerry's Ford to the east being later existing remnants. Before they built those smaller strip malls there were similar looking houses some of which were used as commercial store fronts.

Date: November 16, 2014 07:54PM

Another photo of Fairfax Courthouse after it moved to Little River Turnpike in Annandale
Attachments:
image.jpg

Posted by: Old n Crabby ()
Date: November 16, 2014 07:59PM

Loan Max used to be the Pet Store which moved to the shopping center where Duck Chan's is located. It has since shut down. Not sure where they moved to.

Here's a portion of an interview from an old Annandale local resident:

JOHN: Where the first bank was – talk about commercial. The first bank was next to, what is now the Trophy Shop, next to Joe [INAUDIBLE]. Okay, and we had a bank. It was, at that time, Old Dominion Bank.
MARY: Is that where the Steinhorst Plumbing is?
JOHN: Right next to it.
MARY: Right next to Steinhorst.
JOHN: Steinhorst Plumbing, now, was Joe [INAUDIBLE]’s gas station. Next to that was the Trophy Shop and that’s where the bank was.
MARY: Oh, all right.
JOHN: The first post office was actually in the gas station there. Eddie [INAUDIBLE] ran that first post office.
MARY: So was it a gas station and post office at the same time?
JOHN: Yes.
MARY: At the same time.
JOHN: To the right of that, now – to the right of that wood building – that was the first fire station.

If interested you can read the entire interview here:http://braddockheritage.org/items/show/104

Posted by: sgkjr ()
Date: November 16, 2014 08:36PM

Here's a closer up on Google - I always found it strange that the put a huge sign on the columns of the house / business. It looks so out of place
Attachments:
LRT.jpg

Posted by: Novadude ()
Date: November 16, 2014 09:46PM

The building to the far left was an old wood-frame home originally. During the 1960s, it was the law offices for Virginia State Senator Omar Hurst. About 10 years ago, the new Korean owners had the brick veneer placed over the wood siding.

The middle building long ago was the Annandale Post Office. During the 1960s, it was the Annandale Pet Store. They had a monkey in there, although it was not for sale. The building was flat-roofed until the 1980s when the pitched roof was added.

The building the right, the Steinhorst Plumbing building, was most likely a home at one time, just like the former Hurst building. In the early 1960s, it was a Phillips 66 gasoline station. Steinhorst took over the building sometime around 1970 and the gas pumps were removed. Before the sidewalk was installed, there was a dirt mound, where the attachment bolts for the Phillips 66 sign remained.

Posted by: Sigmund ()
Date: November 16, 2014 09:46PM

Seven Corners nearly full parking lot near Garfinckels. My guess is this is from the late 50's.
Attachments:
Seven Corners.jpg

Posted by: Sigmund ()
Date: November 16, 2014 09:56PM

Falls Plaza Shopping Center. late 50's? Giant Food would be the store at the far left, just out of the photo. The shopping center is still there on W Broad St. Anyone remember Falls Plaza Toys? As a kid I was cutting a balsa wood model airplane and nearly chopped a finger off.... Todays toys are too pussified. We had real knives and real chemical science kits and cool shit like that.
Attachments:
Falls Plaza.jpg

Posted by: herman munster ()
Date: November 16, 2014 09:59PM

Remember a parrot but not a monkey. It was there in the 60's and was about 50 yrs. old then. Died in the 90's and was still at the store

Posted by: RIP Click Tappet ()
Date: November 16, 2014 10:04PM

Sigmund Wrote:
> Seven Corners nearly full parking lot near
> Garfinckels. My guess is this is from the late
> 50's.

You're off by a year or so. That is a 1961 Chevrolet Impala in the foreground.

Posted by: 7TmVw ()
Date: November 16, 2014 11:12PM

Referencing the three houses about 5 posts up, here is a shot of Little River Turnpike & Columbia Pike. As one of the posters mentioned, you can see that the middle building does indeed have a flat roof at that time.
Attachments:
annandale.jpg

Posted by: kingspark-geezer ()
Date: November 16, 2014 11:58PM

Wowzers.. that is Annandale before 1949.. the 1949 aerial shows Backlick Road realligned to meet Maple Pl.. The ESSO station at Columbia Pike & 236 was there when I was a kid but the 3 Chefs had been built behind it.. At 236 and Ravensworth Rd they are building Kerlind Corner, a convienance store.. had my first TasteKake there.. A Choclate Junior in a waxed paper wrapper..

Posted by: Hekrh ()
Date: November 17, 2014 12:40AM

^^^ is that picture pre- or post- the building of Chicken Pollo?

Love that name...

Posted by: Old Dude ()
Date: November 17, 2014 12:52AM

Old n Crabby Wrote:

>
> If interested you can read the entire interview
> here:http://braddockheritage.org/items/show/104

A lot of good stuff there in addition.

Thanks, hadn't seen that one before.

Posted by: 7 Corners 60's ()
Date: November 17, 2014 01:12AM

RIP Click Tappet Wrote:
> Sigmund Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Seven Corners nearly full parking lot near
> > Garfinckels. My guess is this is from the late
> > 50's.
>
> You're off by a year or so. That is a 1961
> Chevrolet Impala in the foreground.

1960 Chevrolet ...could be Impala, Bel-Air or Biscayne as all shared the same grill...door pillars indicate a sedan...My guess is mid 1960's photo of 7 Corners noting a few cars in parking lot.

Posted by: Bruce Wayne ()
Date: November 17, 2014 03:38AM

Sigmund Wrote:
> Falls Plaza Shopping Center. late 50's? Giant
> Food would be the store at the far left, just out
> of the photo. The shopping center is still there
> on W Broad St. Anyone remember Falls Plaza Toys?
> As a kid I was cutting a balsa wood model airplane
> and nearly chopped a finger off.... Todays toys
> are too pussified. We had real knives and real
> chemical science kits and cool shit like that.

Is that the Batmobile parked in front of People's Drug?

Posted by: 1995hoo ()
Date: November 17, 2014 10:23AM

Ye Ole Woodson Man Wrote:
> One was a plumbing company maybe still is.
> Shillingburg .. Something like that. A business in
> a rear alley there sold lawn mowers and
> parts.They may still be there. The other two are a
> mystery.The middle one looks like a old general
> store. Yes the one to the left the plumber I think
> looks like a house converted to business use. The
> middle looks too big and the far right looks
> business like but could have been a house too. The
> brick Colonial look was very popular for a long
> time around NOVA and still is.
>
> If anyone has a question like this and they want
> to research it ask away here of course. Or you can
> go to the Fairfax City Library and on the 2nd
> floor is the Virginia Room with all kind of old
> info including old phone books, of course you
> would have to have an idea of what the business
> was..so ask here first.

There are/were two businesses around the back there. The lawn mower place was JT's. They sold lawn mowers and bicycles and they also repaired bicycles. They shared their lot with Paul's, a Volkswagen repair shop that was still in business last I knew (my brother used to take his 1974 Beetle there; he still has the car but it hasn't moved in a few years).

I believe one of the businesses facing 236 was a trophy shop at one point.

Date: November 18, 2014 09:32AM

Another great shot of Fairfax Courthouse, 67Million BC
Attachments:
image.jpg

Posted by: Times have changed ()
Date: November 18, 2014 12:50PM

No way. That scimitar-horned diladopterus in the background was already extinct by 85 million B.C. Pic had to be from before that.

Posted by: KpcCU ()
Date: November 18, 2014 03:14PM

The Many Faces of Herndon’s Downtown
By Carol Bruce
The buildings in Herndon’s downtown area have undergone many changes in use over
the years. There have been lots of stores—grocery stores, drugstores, general stores, feed
stores, and more—and a few surprises, too!

Jimmy’s Old Town Tavern
The building that houses Jimmy’s and Roaches in the Attics Antiques began its life as the
W.T. Wilkins drugstore. In the 1940s it was a pub. It then became Feldman’s general
merchandise store, which sold furniture, clothing, and toys. It also for a time housed
Western Auto and then an army surplus store. Roberts Carpets operated at this location
until it moved to its current location, a former Safeway store, across from the fire station.
There were several other occupants—including a dart bar known as Foot Anakin’s—
before Jimmy’s opened in May 1997. The one-story extension on Elden Street that is now
the dining area in Jimmy’s was at one time a Hershey’s ice cream store. The small
building on Spring Street between Jimmy’s and Roberts Carpets, where Jimmy’s
Catering is now located, originally was used by Reed’s Funeral Home (now Adams
Green) to store coffins. Then, for many years, Hazel’s Restaurant operated at this site.

The Upholstery Shop
This building originally housed the Herndon Movie Theater. It also for a time was a local
teen hangout known as The Hornet’s Nest.

So Addictive Lounge
The white brick building across Spring Street from Jimmy’s where the So Addictive
Lounge is located dates to the early 50s. An earlier frame structure on this site housed the
McGuire grocery store in the 1920s and 30s, and then Prince’s Feed Store. The existing
building originally was home to Arthur’s Department Store. For a number of years
Simply Country, which featured an array of furniture, gifts, and handcrafted items, was
located there. It served as office space for a few years before the current tenant opened its
doors.

Stohlman Subaru
This building is the one constant in this section of Elden Street, having always been a car
dealership (Ashwell’s and Paul Brothers preceded the current occupant)—although the
town’s ABC store shared the west end of the building for many years.

Ice House Café
Despite what the name implies, there was never an ice house in this building or even on
this site. Constructed in the 1950s, this was originally a drug store. There were several
apartments and, for a while, a doctors office on the second floor. For a brief period in the
1960s the building housed Herndon’s very own claim to shame—The Pink Pussycat, a
topless bar!

754 Elden Street
Last but not least, many Herndon residents will remember the Citgo gas station, which
for many years stood empty and rusting at the corner of Elden and Station Streets. The
building that occupies the space now (originally the TPI Center) houses O’Sullivan’s
Irish Pub and several other shops.

Posted by: Really?! REALLY!?! ()
Date: November 18, 2014 03:57PM

BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRING

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: Try to learn ()
Date: November 18, 2014 06:56PM

All the new trolls....read (if you can) and try to learn a little local history...Mommy can't spoon feed you everything.

Posted by: Steve Palmetter ()
Date: November 18, 2014 07:44PM

Sigmund Wrote:
> Falls Plaza Shopping Center. late 50's? Giant
> Food would be the store at the far left, just out
> of the photo. The shopping center is still there
> on W Broad St. Anyone remember Falls Plaza Toys?
> As a kid I was cutting a balsa wood model airplane
> and nearly chopped a finger off.... Todays toys
> are too pussified. We had real knives and real
> chemical science kits and cool shit like that.

That is a great pic!! Looks similar to one of my pic's

Posted by: Steve Palmetter ()
Date: November 18, 2014 07:47PM

this is cool.
Attachments:
company 1.jpg

Posted by: Sheboygan Schnoid ()
Date: November 20, 2014 02:42AM

IAD Wrote:
> Sorry it's not a pic just reminiscing: I had to drive to Dulles the other day, and remembered when I was little (30 years ago) it always seemed so far, out in the middle of the country, with mostly trees to look at on the way there. The only building in the last few miles was that funny oblong-cubed shape black one near the airport, which is still there.

Speaking of the Dulles Access Road: Recall that, before construction of the Toll Road, the road had a very wide median strip between the outgoing and incoming parts. Today, the INNER lanes (which now are the Access Road) are the newer ones, while the OUTER (toll road) lanes are the original ones.

Posted by: Ann ()
Date: November 20, 2014 05:55PM

Any pics of the old Town and Country Day Camp in Vienna? it's now chesterfield academy....

Date: November 20, 2014 07:11PM

Pic of Company I leaving for Spanish American War- The picture looks like it was taken in front of Old St. Mary's Church in Fairfax. Church is still there.

Steve Palmetter Wrote:
> this is cool.

Date: November 20, 2014 07:17PM

I didnt know Garfinkels first name was Julius

Sigmund Wrote:
> Seven Corners nearly full parking lot near
> Garfinckels. My guess is this is from the late
> 50's.

Posted by: '68 Z28 ()
Date: November 20, 2014 07:23PM

Sheboygan Schnoid Wrote:
> IAD Wrote:
> -----
> > Sorry it's not a pic just reminiscing: I had to
> drive to Dulles the other day, and remembered when
> I was little (30 years ago) it always seemed so
> far, out in the middle of the country, with mostly
> trees to look at on the way there. The only
> building in the last few miles was that funny
> oblong-cubed shape black one near the airport,
> which is still there.
>
>
> Speaking of the Dulles Access Road: Recall that,
> before construction of the Toll Road, the road had
> a very wide median strip between the outgoing and
> incoming parts. Today, the INNER lanes (which now
> are the Access Road) are the newer ones, while the
> OUTER (toll road) lanes are the original ones.

Did a lot of drag racing on the Dulles Access Rd in the late 60's, early 70's.

There was one airport cop that patrolled the road, and you could see him coming for miles.

The fastest I ever drove a car was on the access road. So fast I scared myself!

Posted by: Fran Konia ()
Date: November 23, 2014 12:33PM

Sylvia theater at Wards corner in Franconia. Burned to the ground in the late 50s.
Attachments:
Sylvia.jpg
sylvia2.jpg

Posted by: Thoms ()
Date: November 24, 2014 03:59PM

My grandparents owned the All States Motel but my Grandmother sold it in the late 70's after my Grandfather died and retired to Florida. I seem to remember it went down hill from there. The last owners of it sold the property and I believe there are condos on it now.

Posted by: FHS class of 1979 ()
Date: November 24, 2014 06:45PM

Thoms Wrote:
> My grandparents owned the All States Motel but my
> Grandmother sold it in the late 70's after my
> Grandfather died and retired to Florida. I seem to
> remember it went down hill from there. The last
> owners of it sold the property and I believe there
> are condos on it now.

My girlfriend and I spent two nights there in 1981. I remember being pleasantly surprised at how nice,clean and comfortable the rooms were. Great memory!

Posted by: Annandalian ()
Date: November 26, 2014 09:04PM

Great old annandale pics. I think it was Kerlins Corner. Old kind of country general store, only place to get milk late at night back in the day. Sold christmas,s trees in December.

Posted by: backwen ()
Date: November 26, 2014 09:07PM

Remember when Fairfax was segregated? That was fun.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: November 27, 2014 08:24PM

Its not Fairfax but really a Integral part of the area. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/06/retro-1970s-metro-video_n_3398017.html

WETA showed last night a series Washington in the 60, 70 and 80 Lots of good history and Memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4hLYgYr5Rk

Posted by: Flo Rida ()
Date: November 28, 2014 12:37AM

Thoms Wrote:
> my Grandfather died and retired to Florida

In that order?

Posted by: Jeeps ()
Date: November 30, 2014 08:59AM

Anyone remember the old Jeep the Annandale firehouse used to have for putting out brush fires etc. early 1970s. Though that was soooooo cool as a kid!

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: December 02, 2014 10:02AM

Burke Brat Wrote:
> Its not Fairfax but really a Integral part of the
> area.
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/06/retro-197
> 0s-metro-video_n_3398017.html
>
>
> WETA showed last night a series Washington in the
> 60, 70 and 80 Lots of good history and Memories.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4hLYgYr5Rk

That's a really good video series, I saw it a year or so ago and I've been meaning to buy it on DVD or download.

There is another one about the Bayou that is pretty awesome too.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Merry Fucking Xmas
Posted by: Azzwhole ()
Date: December 11, 2014 09:48PM

Now go fuck off!

Posted by: GBW ()
Date: December 14, 2014 04:25PM

Posted by: Times Have Changed ()
Date: December 14, 2014 04:59PM

GBW Wrote:
> Good article on Tysons Corner....

To my mind, the article itself lacked soul or direction. Use of the words at all seemed to me to be just a phony attempt to make the author seem deep and nuanced. I've been here longer than Tysons I has, and I thought the article missed just about every point possible.

Posted by: GBW ()
Date: December 14, 2014 06:39PM

Times Have Changed Wrote:
> GBW Wrote:
> -----
> > Good article on Tysons Corner....
>
> To my mind, the article itself lacked soul or
> direction. Use of the words at all seemed to me
> to be just a phony attempt to make the author seem
> deep and nuanced. I've been here longer than
> Tysons I has, and I thought the article missed
> just about every point possible.

Umm... it is the WAPO not The Great Gatsby. Get over yourself.

Posted by: GAsdf ()
Date: December 14, 2014 10:51PM

fxcograd Wrote:
> Pic of Company I leaving for Spanish American War-
> The picture looks like it was taken in front of
> Old St. Mary's Church in Fairfax. Church is still
> there.
>
> Steve Palmetter Wrote:
> -----
> > this is cool.

It is. This is where clara Barton founded the American Red Cross.

Posted by: crystal ()
Date: December 15, 2014 03:41PM

Attachments:
crystal city 1983.jpg

Posted by: Historic Pics ()
Date: December 15, 2014 04:15PM

Reston Silver Diner, circa 1963.
Attachments:
Silver Diner - Reston, VA.jpg

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: December 15, 2014 08:51PM

Historic Pics Wrote:
> Reston Silver Diner, circa 1963.

2003?

Posted by: Smokey D. Squirrel ()
Date: December 16, 2014 04:52AM

Jeeps Wrote:
> Anyone remember the old Jeep the Annandale
> firehouse used to have for putting out brush fires
> etc. early 1970s. Though that was soooooo cool as
> a kid!

Not sure if it came from the Annandale firehouse, but I do remember a jeep involved in putting out a forest fire in Roundtree Park. We were kids so that would've been sometime in the mid-to-late seventies.

Date: December 16, 2014 11:08AM

GBW Wrote:
> Umm... it is the WAPO not The Great Gatsby. Get
> over yourself.

You claimed it was a good article. It wasn't. It was an overblown superficial puff piece. Not really any better than a claim that there was a "Silver Diner" in Reston circa 1963 when the chain itself was not founded until 1989.

Posted by: David McClelland ()
Date: December 22, 2014 10:38PM

Not Exactly Fairfax, but interesting non the less. A card my great Aunt sent me back in the eightie s. The card has to be much older than when she sent it.
Attachments:
20141215_215510.jpg
20141215_215540.jpeg

Posted by: Aunt Marjorie ()
Date: December 22, 2014 10:48PM

Awwww...she misspelled your last name!

Date: December 22, 2014 10:50PM

Sorry, smaller picture. I hope
Attachments:
20141215_215510.jpeg

Date: December 22, 2014 11:04PM

She did mis-spell it!! I never saw that! Good eye, I have more pictures that I will have to dig up of the Fort Hunt area.

Date: December 22, 2014 11:28PM

Another landmark gone. Not quite Fairfax. Okay, its downtown Alexandria, however gone just the same. A large building is going up in its place. Alexandria Floral Company is gone!!
Attachments:
alexandria floral.jpg

Posted by: J.E.B. Stuart ()
Date: December 23, 2014 12:35AM

David McClelland Wrote:
> Not Exactly Fairfax, but interesting non the less.
> A card my great Aunt sent me back in the eightie
> s. The card has to be much older than when she
> sent it.

Much older?!!! My God, man, look at the flag! This picture must have been taken during the War of Northern Aggression!!

Obama's Approval Rating with Military? 15%
Date: December 23, 2014 12:49AM

`

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 10:04PM by WingNut.

Date: December 23, 2014 01:00AM

I do not have a picture of Katz. They did put a brand new cassette player (that replaced a 8trac) in my 79 catalina though!!

Date: December 23, 2014 01:05AM

Morris Katz & sons

Border Security is CHEAPER Than Wars
Date: December 23, 2014 01:07AM

David McClelland Wrote:
> I do not have a picture of Katz. They did put a
> brand new cassette player (that replaced a 8trac)
> in my 79 catalina though!!

79 Catty, you fucking stud! LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2015 10:34PM by WingNut.

Date: December 23, 2014 01:13AM

I did have a 79 Cadillac Fleetwood with the 425, 400 turbo, 4 Wheel disc, leather package. However it was years later!!

Date: December 23, 2014 01:14AM

`

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 10:04PM by WingNut.

Date: December 23, 2014 01:30AM

I don't remember anything that old either, however the photo does not look that old....I worked at the Alexandria Floral Company as a driver in 1990-1993 and that sign was not there then. I believe there was a sign saying Morris Catz and Sons mounted on the roof of the building.

Date: December 23, 2014 01:33AM

My wife just told me they put a fabric headliner in her fathers Impala.....

Date: December 23, 2014 01:35AM

`

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 10:03PM by WingNut.

RE: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Date: December 23, 2014 01:38AM

`

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 10:03PM by WingNut.

Date: December 23, 2014 01:46AM

I don't remember that. I don't even know what is there now> It was another yellow brick building just like the Floral Shop. I can see if one of the "Brothers" that used to work there have any photos. Most of the folks I ran with then have issues or are not around any more, however I will check.

Date: December 23, 2014 01:57AM

Most of the folks I ran with then talked on the CB, and hung out at Zed's or the Lonsome Dove. I of have not seen or heard from most of them in 20 years or so. Many of them are not around anymore, and others have moved. If you know someones CB handle, I may know them....

33% of 18-34 Yr Olds LIVE WITH THEIR PARENTS
Date: December 23, 2014 02:03AM

LOL

CB's were in when I was in grade school, never did them, but I guess Katz sold them in the day.

It's a long shot but you may find some of your old CB guys here with a dedicated thread to it. It will show up in a Google search if you include the right buzzwords.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2015 10:34PM by WingNut.

Date: December 23, 2014 02:40AM

This was my ride in 1987! Blast from the past. Picture was taken in the parking lot of Alexandria Floral Company in about 1994
Attachments:
20141223_021945.jpeg

Posted by: jerry ()
Date: December 23, 2014 06:43AM

David McClelland Wrote:
> Another landmark gone. Not quite Fairfax. Okay,
> its downtown Alexandria, however gone just the
> same. A large building is going up in its place.
> Alexandria Floral Company is gone!!

Having never seen this place and looking at the small picture before actually reading the text of the post, it looks like it heysays Alexandria Anal Company. LOL

Posted by: Huntington Avenue ()
Date: December 23, 2014 08:22AM

Don't forget about Gary's Yellow Rose, and the Table Talk .

Katz installed those clear plastic seat covers with the dimples that made those marks on the back of legs in the summer time heat. NO A/C

The installed radios AM & FM, heaters(an option back in the 50's and 60's) and cigarette lighters.

Posted by: Mick ()
Date: December 23, 2014 08:24AM

Notice also in the Clark Bros. postcard that the word souvenirs is not spelled correctly on their sign.

Date: December 23, 2014 08:31AM

`

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 10:02PM by WingNut.

Posted by: Henro ()
Date: December 23, 2014 03:11PM

^And your ears popping when you closed the doors.

Date: December 23, 2014 03:19PM

huh?

Posted by: local... ()
Date: December 23, 2014 04:38PM

WingNut Wrote:
> Huntington Avenue Wrote:
> -----
> > Don't forget about Gary's Yellow Rose, and the
> > Table Talk .
> >
> > Katz installed those clear plastic seat covers
> > with the dimples that made those marks on the
> back
> > of legs in the summer time heat. NO A/C
> >
> > The installed radios AM & FM, heaters(an option
> > back in the 50's and 60's) and cigarette
> lighters.
>
> I remember those family trips in the early 70's
> driving about 800 miles each way without A/C and
> only the crummy hits of AM radio. The vent windows
> with the little handle were very nice to have, but
> I still don't recall sweating that much.
>
> And those sticky seat covers, gawdmmit! Funny
> also, my mother had a Beetle for a while, I can
> still recall the feeling of the straw filled sun
> visors and the particular smell all of those bugs
> had. I haven't been in one of those in at least 30
> years and I remember like yesterday.

Bring back memories man, I remember that smell, spent a lot of time in my mom's '68 VW, always wondered why it smelled like that. You'd open the door in the summer and that VW funk would lay you out! If be stuck waiting in the car in the Memco parking lot, sweating my ass off smelling it. Kissed my first girl in the back space behind the seat by the rest window in it too, preschool! Yeah, I had game, but lost it all by the time I hit AHS... Thanks man!

Posted by: Liberal Viewer (owned one) ()
Date: December 24, 2014 12:15AM

WingNut Wrote:
> huh?

Oh, c'mon Wing! Surely you're old enough to remember the beetle's vaunted ability to float because it was air tight -- Teutonic engineering at its finest.
If not, here's a quick trip down memory lane, guaranteed to warm the cockles of your shriveled conservative heart.
Attachments:
Kennedy VW Ad.jpg

Date: December 24, 2014 12:29AM

`

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 09:59PM by WingNut.

Posted by: Ox Road 123 ()
Date: December 24, 2014 12:30AM

GAsdf Wrote:
> fxcograd Wrote:
> -----
> > Pic of Company I leaving for Spanish American
> War-
> > The picture looks like it was taken in front of
> > Old St. Mary's Church in Fairfax. Church is
> still
> > there.
> >
> > Steve Palmetter Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > this is cool.
>
> It is. This is where clara Barton founded the
> American Red Cross.

Must be Ox Road (dirt) out front of the church. On the early maps it shows the church on the right hand side of the road as you went North into Providence. Today's road must have been re-aligned at some point and now it passes the church on the left.

Fairfax Station road in that area has also gone through several changes.

Date: December 24, 2014 12:31AM

`

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 09:59PM by WingNut.

Posted by: Henro ()
Date: December 24, 2014 10:24AM

I got in my first wreck in a 68 bug when I was 13.

Posted by: old ()
Date: December 24, 2014 09:38PM

WingNut Wrote:
> VW floating ad, never saw it LOL
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qB0lb401ZU

VW had to pull those ads quick. All over the country, kids were stealing bugs and launching them into the nearest body of water.

I know for a fact that at least one bug is on the bottom of Lake Barcroft. Unless they pulled it out after the dam broke (during Agnes in '72) draining the lake.

Posted by: Ben31 ()
Date: December 27, 2014 09:48PM

This looks like the G.C. Murphy that used to be in Annandale on 236, adjacent to Fairmont Gardens apartments.

Posted by: hillwood ()
Date: December 28, 2014 02:33PM

Attachments:
hillwood.jpg

Date: December 28, 2014 05:11PM

Early WWII-ish. Thank God they eventually built the TR Bridge.

Posted by: queeeestion ()
Date: December 28, 2014 05:46PM

So what is the 'U.S. Experimental Farm' located on the grounds of Arlington Cemetery?

Date: December 28, 2014 06:34PM

Before WWII, it was literally an Experimental Farm run by the Department of Agriculture. Early in the war, it was cleared and converted to housing for newly arriving single female federal workers and service members. It became famous as "28 Acres of Girls". After the wartime needs died down, it was used by the military first for enlisted and family housing, then as an induction center during the Korean War. Most of the site had been bulldozed by 1970 and the land was then turned over to Arlington Cemetery.

Posted by: toe jam driver ()
Date: December 28, 2014 07:03PM

WTF is Lee Memorial boulevard??

Looks like route 50 maybe.

Posted by: MPwillgetcha ()
Date: December 28, 2014 09:03PM

And I like the fact that the brochure is ENCOURAGING you to drive through Fort Meyer. Wouldn't happen now...

Date: December 28, 2014 09:04PM

toe jam driver Wrote:
> WTF is Lee Memorial boulevard?? Looks like route 50 maybe.

Yes, now it is. As the automobile grew up, there was a lot of road building frenzy in the 1920's and on into the 1930's despite the Depression. Part of that was a grand dream for a majestic transnational Lee Memorial Boulevard. It was to include a grand entrance into DC via a new and ornate bridge that would run from the just completed Lincoln Memorial on a line directly toward the Custis-Lee Mansion where Lee had lived prior to the Civil War. The unifying symbolism of the thing just grabbed people of the time. They were after all closer then to the Civil War than we are today to WWII. In any case, there were fights over what the route through Arlington to the still non-existent bridge should be, while locals clamored that the already existing but poorly maintained Lee Highway ought to be upgraded before the new Lee Memorial Boulevard could be built. Locals won that point, as did those who favored a southern option through Arlington. Work on the first stretch between Fort Myer and Fort Buffalo (now Arlington Hall) began at Fort Buffalo in 1931. Congress however had failed to approve any right-of-way through Fort Myer. Hence the Boulevard could not reach Memorial Bridge (opened in 1930) which is why the map above displays an imaginary road and advises people to use Lee Highway in order to reach DC.

Complicating everything was the consolidation and numbering of state and federal roads in the same era. Memorial Bridge became part of a new Route 50. 211 (Lee Highway) became part of Route 29. Congress got around to solving the Fort Myer problem in the late 1930's but thanks to WWII, the connection to Memorial Bridge was not built for some years. And after all that, the Roosevelt Bridge opened in 1964 and Route 50 was soon moved to empty into that, kind of crushing all that original Lee-Lincoln symbolism. In fact, as the grand Boulevard dream had evaporated, the whole Lee connection to that southern arc became foggy after WWII. A movement soon grew up to resolve the situation of having a Lee Highway and a Lee Boulevard so close to each other, and on June 29, 1952, what had been Lee Memorial Boulevard officially became Arlington Boulevard.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: December 28, 2014 11:39PM

> Before WWII, it was literally an Experimental Farm
> run by the Department of Agriculture. Early in
> the war, it was cleared and converted to housing
> for newly arriving single female federal workers
> and service members. It became famous as "28
> Acres of Girls". After the wartime needs died
> down, it was used by the military first for
> enlisted and family housing, then as an induction
> center during the Korean War. Most of the site
> had been bulldozed by 1970 and the land was then
> turned over to Arlington Cemetery.

I lived here my whole life and never heard that before. Thanks. That’s fascinating.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: December 28, 2014 11:52PM

> toe jam driver Wrote:
> -----
> > WTF is Lee Memorial boulevard?? Looks like
> route 50 maybe.
>
I don’t think that could have been explained more clear; and yet, what a tangled botched mess of ideas and plans and changes as life-advances rush upon us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2014 12:04AM by causeican.

Pages: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 145

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.