HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 145
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: lbss82 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 04:54AM

fxcograd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quick Marty! get in the DeLorean- were going back
> to the future of OPEN SHOPPING CENTERS! Gee Doc,
> didn't we do that before?
>
> WTOP says there is finally movement to redevelop
> landmark shopping center in an open air concept.
>
> http://www.wtop.com/41/3579157/Landmark-Mall-trans
> formation-update
>
> Gee, like we haven't had that before. Been there
> done that.
>
> I used to specifically get yelled at by my mother
> for running up over and down those concrete
> barriers at Landmark. I wasn't much bigger than
> the barriers at that time.
>
> Every generation thinks they invent something new.
> Open malls, then closed malls, then open malls
> again.
>
> I wonder if the new open concept Landmark will
> have those concrete barriers. I don't think the
> physics of size will work in my favor anymore when
> I run over them.

Nice pic fxcograd! My Mom would drag me to that Sears to buy me church clothes. Remember "The Underground" at Landmark? This is the only Landmark pic I could find.
Attachments:
landmark.png

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hbo fan ()
Date: March 14, 2014 09:30PM

Attachments:
hbo.png

Posted by: 1995hoo ()
Date: March 15, 2014 03:33PM

My mother sent me the following e-mail earlier this afternoon after I sent her some old Northern Virginia photos. I tried some online searches, but I've struck out. I see these houses were part of the Payne Estate, but I'm not finding any pictures online. Anyone able to help out? This was before my time, so I have no memory of these. (Neither does my mom, based on how she worded this!)

"I've tried to find pictures of Bailey's Crossroads (I think in the area where the windmill is) from the early 70s. Apparently there were stone houses/huts there that were taken down in the mid to late 70s. I've had no luck finding anything. Maybe you could find something."

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Posted by: cap center ()
Date: March 15, 2014 03:50PM

Not a picture of the county but an old memory nonetheless.
Attachments:
cap center.jpg

Posted by: cap center ()
Date: March 15, 2014 04:01PM

Okay, this one is in Arlington but after 30 pages I think this thread has posted just about every Fairfax picture out there. This is the brand new 14th street bridge Marriot hotel. 1957.
Attachments:
14th_street_bridge_marriott.jpg

Posted by: Times Have Changed ()
Date: March 15, 2014 05:56PM

The Twin Bridges Marriott, actually. They had water-beds in there in the 1970's. Like some good weed, they made for a little extra adventure...

Date: March 15, 2014 08:46PM

The Springfield Howard Johnson's 1960s maybe???? What year was the Commerce street overpass built? It was clearly after that.
Attachments:
springfield hojos.jpg
ho jo motor lodge.jpg

Posted by: wardscorner ()
Date: March 15, 2014 09:09PM

Here's an interesting picture that I saw hanging at my dentist's office on Franconia Road. I know this thing on the internet doesn't show the detail, sorry :(

From what the secretary told me, it's a new piece done last year for the community museum. Looks a little unprofessional (all hand-drawn, I mean) but still very nice. It really has a lot of places from like colonial times and civil war times and modern times. And I never knew about any of that... Just wanted to share.

Keep up this great thread folks!
Attachments:
4557572373f5303c03af982f8465f86e.png

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: March 15, 2014 09:26PM

wardscorner Wrote:
> Here's an interesting picture that I saw hanging
> at my dentist's office on Franconia Road. I know
> this thing on the internet doesn't show the
> detail, sorry :(
>
> From what the secretary told me, it's a new piece
> done last year for the community museum. Looks a
> little unprofessional (all hand-drawn, I mean) but
> still very nice. It really has a lot of places
> from like colonial times and civil war times and
> modern times. And I never knew about any of
> that... Just wanted to share.
>
> Keep up this great thread folks!

http://lorton.patch.com/groups/buy-sell-trade/p/historic-franconia-map-art_386c6b5f

Is a dead-ringer for the Scheel maps.

http://www.loudounhistory.org/history/eugene-scheel.htm

Posted by: is that allowed? ()
Date: March 15, 2014 09:36PM

newgatedenizen Wrote:
> wardscorner Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Here's an interesting picture that I saw
> hanging
> > at my dentist's office on Franconia Road. I
> know
> > this thing on the internet doesn't show the
> > detail, sorry :(
> >
> > From what the secretary told me, it's a new
> piece
> > done last year for the community museum. Looks
> a
> > little unprofessional (all hand-drawn, I mean)
> but
> > still very nice. It really has a lot of places
> > from like colonial times and civil war times
> and
> > modern times. And I never knew about any of
> > that... Just wanted to share.
> >
> > Keep up this great thread folks!
>
>
> http://lorton.patch.com/groups/buy-sell-trade/p/hi
> storic-franconia-map-art_386c6b5f
>
> Is a dead-ringer for the Scheel maps.
>
> http://www.loudounhistory.org/history/eugene-schee
> l.htm

I've got to say I'm sure that's some sort of copyright infringement thing, or am I just wrong about that?

Posted by: ffx78 ()
Date: March 15, 2014 10:35PM

An article reminded me of that slave who was supposed to be the child of George Washington, West Ford. He had red hair and founded Gum Spring? So many pages in, has anyone posted before?
Attachments:
west25.jpg
ford1.gif

Posted by: american horticultural society ()
Date: March 15, 2014 10:46PM

Here's something from the American Horticultural society:

River Farm's first English family was the Brents, a Catholic family who played an active role in the early colonial life of Maryland. Captain Giles Brent originally landed in Jamestown, Virginia but in 1638 returned from a trip to England accompanied by his sisters, Margaret and Mary, to settle in St. Mary’s County, Maryland. In 1647 the Brents settled near Aquia in Virginia. In 1653/54, Giles Brent obtained patents totaling 1,800 acres for his year-old son, Giles, Jr. Giles' wife was a princess of the Piscataway tribe of Native Americans who had been entrusted to Margaret Brent as a child by her father, a convert to Christianity. The grant of 1,800 acres in their child's name was named Piscataway Neck and included the land which is now River Farm.
Giles, Jr. was never at ease with the local Dogue tribe, or, it seems, anyone else. It has been stated that his encounters with the native tribe were a precursor to Bacon's Rebellion, and at home his treatment of his wife was so violent that she obtained a legal separation in 1679, the first in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Giles returned to England where he died in September of that year. Piscataway Neck passed to a cousin, George Brent, and through him to a brother-in-law, William Clifton, in 1739.
Upon inheriting title to the land, William Clifton renamed the property Clifton's Neck. By 1757, Clifton built a brick house on the property which, much enlarged and remodeled over the subsequent two centuries, now serves as the headquarters of the American Horticultural Society.
Clifton suffered business losses and as early as 1755 advertised part of his holdings for sale. Gentleman farmer George Washington of neighboring Mount Vernon was desirous of buying this land but because of what he described in his diaries as Clifton's "shuffling behavior" it was not until 1760 that Washington obtained clear title to the 1,800 acres for payment of £1,210 at the equivalent of a bankruptcy sale. To be fair to Clifton, not all the "shuffling" was his fault. At Mrs. Clifton's insistence only a portion of the property was first offered, the house and surrounding land to be retained for the Cliftons' use. Washington refused to buy the reduced package. It was not until Clifton was forced to submit to a commissioner's sale — Washington was a member of the commission — that Washington acquired the entire property and changed its name to River Farm.
Thus River Farm became the northernmost of Washington's five farms, and today's River Farm is located on the northernmost division of that property. Although Washington had patiently pursued the acquisition of the property, he never actually lived on or worked this land. Instead, he preferred to rent it, first in 1761 to tenant farmer Samuel Johnson who paid ever increasing amounts of his tobacco crop to Washington for the privilege. The farm was even once offered for sale in 1773, but instead Washington held on to it and later gave its lease as a wedding present to one Tobias Lear whose bride, Fanny Bassett, was Martha Washington's niece and widow of George Washington's nephew, George Augustine Washington.
Lear had come to Virginia in 1786 on the recommendation of a mutual friend to be secretary to Washington and tutor to Martha's two grandchildren. He was treated as a member of the family, taking his meals with them. He served Washington not only as secretary but as a personal confidante at Mount Vernon as well as in Philadelphia and New York while Washington served as the young nation’s first President. He was at Washington's side when he died. In his will, Washington gave Lear use of the farm, rent free, for his lifetime. Tobias' wife Fanny predeceased him, and he installed his mother-in-law and children at the farm while he preferred to reside in Georgetown. It is said he died there, a suicide, in 1816. However, evidence of his spiritual presence at River Farm continues to this day.
Tobias Lear had called the property Walnut Tree Farm. Today, in the meadow below the “ha-ha” wall, three venerable old black walnut trees still stand, reminders of the 18th century landscape that Lear and Washington knew. Another of River Farm’s trees with strong associations with Washington is the Kentucky coffee tree, so named for its native origin and its seeds use as a coffee substitute. Washington introduced the species to Virginia when he returned to Virginia from one of his surveying trips in the Ohio River valley and successfully germinated seeds he had collected there. There are several specimens of the Kentucky coffee tree at River Farm, descendants of those first trees grown by Washington.
The oldest tree standing on River Farm today is the immense Osage orange. This specimen, the largest in the country, is located in the shade garden to the north of the main house. It is believed to have been a gift from Thomas Jefferson to the Washington family. It is known that Jefferson received seedlings of the Osage orange from the Lewis and Clark expedition of 1804-06.
After Tobias Lear's death, the farm was occupied by two generations of the Washington family: George Fayette Washington, a nephew, and Charles Augustine Washington, a great-nephew. In 1859, a century after Washington purchased the property from Clifton, Charles Augustus sold 652 acres of River Farm to three Quaker brothers, Stacey, Isaac, and William Snowden of New Jersey. The Snowdens and other Quaker families came to the Woodlawn-Mount Vernon area in 1845 for two reason: the availability of hardwood timber to be used in New England shipyards, and the eschewance of slave labor in the area. The Snowdens divided the acreage, then known as Wellington, into three sections. Isaac Snowden and his wife lived in the house that still stands at River Farm.
In 1866, 280 acres including the present-day River Farm were sold to three men known as “The Syndicate.” A writer from The Washington Sunday Star visited the estate in 1904 and referred to it as “this broken and pathetic house.” The Wellington property was subsequently purchased in 1912 by Miss Theresa Thompson, a member of a prominent local family that owned and operated Thompson’s Dairy, a business concern active in the area until the 1960s. Miss Thompson made changes and improvements at Wellington, but it was Malcolm Matheson, who bought the property in 1919, who transformed it into the charming early-20th century country estate it is today. The evocative 18th century-style paneling in the ground floor rooms, the welcoming foyer, and the light-filled ballroom were all part of Mr. Matheson’s reconstruction of the house. Out-of-doors he cleared acres of honeysuckle, briar, and blackberry to plant boxwood, magnolia, wisteria, and other ornamentals to create a serene park-like setting for his family.
Wellington faced one more upheaval. In 1971, Mr. Matheson decided to sell his home, and the Soviet Embassy offered to buy the property for use as a retreat or dacha for its staff. In the lingering Cold War, many people, locally and across the country, objected to the thought of George Washington’s farm becoming the possession of the Soviet Union. As a result, Congress and the Department of State asked Mr. Matheson to withdraw the property from the market.
Among those concerned by the potential sale was Enid Annenberg Haupt, philanthropist, gardener, and member of the Board of Directors of the American Horticultural Society. Through her exceeding generosity, the Society was able to purchase the 27 acres then comprising the Wellington estate, agreeing to keep the property open for the enjoyment of the American people. In honor of George Washington, one of our nation’s first great gardeners and horticulturists, the property was again named River Farm. In 1973, AHS moved its headquarters from the city of Alexandria to River Farm. First Lady Patricia Nixon joined Mrs. Haupt at the dedication of the property and together planted a ceremonial dogwood tree in the garden.
Attachments:
9450231.jpg
River-Farm.jpg

Posted by: lost over royalty ()
Date: March 15, 2014 10:55PM

DMV God Wrote:
> Princess Diana at Springfield Mall in 1985 - what
> a difference 30 years make

Okay I want to give you all a tough one and see if you can rustle up something...

As I vaguely recall, Princess Diana visited a couple other sites in Fairfax County then. A.) What were they? and B.) Does anyone have pictures?

Another related royalty question. Have other British royalty come to visit places in Fairfax County? I was thinking of something in the 60's but perhaps I'm confusing it with another town?

Posted by: Old Stuff ()
Date: March 16, 2014 12:08AM

lost over royalty Wrote:
> DMV God Wrote:
> -----
> > Princess Diana at Springfield Mall in 1985 -
> what
> > a difference 30 years make
>
> Okay I want to give you all a tough one and see if
> you can rustle up something...
>
> As I vaguely recall, Princess Diana visited a
> couple other sites in Fairfax County then. A.)
> What were they? and B.) Does anyone have
> pictures?
>
> Another related royalty question. Have other
> British royalty come to visit places in Fairfax
> County? I was thinking of something in the 60's
> but perhaps I'm confusing it with another town?

Easy assignment (Google it):
On November 11, Princess Diana, accompanied by First Lady Nancy Reagan, made a brief visit to Straight Inc., a drug rehabilitation center in Springfield. They spent an hour talking to residents about their drug problems. Afterwards, Princess Diana visited the Washington Home Hospice, where she met with the residents, including 95 year old Letitia Whittey, an English native. They then went to Arlington National Cemetery, and J.C. Penney in Springfield Mall.

Attached pictures show visits at JC Penney, Washington Home Hospice, and one I believe was taken at Straight--not positive.
Attachments:
Princess Diana JC Penney Springfield Mall.jpg
Princess Diana JC Penney 1985.jpg
Princess Diana Washington Home Hospice 1985.jpg
Princess Diana and First Lady Nancy Reagan at Straight in Springfield 1985.jpg

Date: March 16, 2014 06:27AM

More Springfield love. date unknown.
Attachments:
bowl springfield.jpg

Posted by: fxcograd ()
Date: March 16, 2014 09:41AM

>
>
> Nice pic fxcograd! My Mom would drag me to that
> Sears to buy me church clothes. Remember "The
> Underground" at Landmark? This is the only
> Landmark pic I could find.

Yup, I remember the underground. I kinda thought it was a cool concept. The photo is actually an archive shot from Charlie Evans- he's got some cool stuff at

http://novahistory.ctevans.net/about

Posted by: fxcograd ()
Date: March 16, 2014 09:46AM

cap center Wrote:
> Not a picture of the county but an old memory
> nonetheless.
Wow- 7 bucks and 70 to get into a Queen concert- what a deal! I bought a burger, fries, coke combo at a fast food joint yesterday that cost me more than that.

Date: March 16, 2014 10:02AM

Springfield Mall Monkey Wards. Looks like the upper level entrance.
Attachments:
spring mall wards.jpg

Date: March 16, 2014 10:20AM

Supposed to be Kings Park shopping center 1966.
I thought the dry cleaners in there was Aristo dry cleaners. Anyone know for sure?

Photo courtesy Fairfax County Retired Police Assoc
Attachments:
KPss 1966.jpg

Posted by: DMV God ()
Date: March 16, 2014 10:27AM

Anyone remember the Woolworths in Tysons Corner Mall> Its where LL Bean is today.

Posted by: JustanFYI ()
Date: March 16, 2014 12:07PM

lbss82 Wrote:
> More Springfield love. date unknown.

The top of the photo says Sep 69. So, I'm going to go with that and say its now known.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2014 12:07PM by JustanFYI.

Date: March 16, 2014 12:37PM

lost over royalty Wrote:
>
> ....
>
> Another related royalty question. Have other
> British royalty come to visit places in Fairfax
> County? I was thinking of something in the 60's
> but perhaps I'm confusing it with another town?

I know HM the Queen visited Charlottesville in 1976 as part of the bicentennial, though I don't know whether she went anywhere in Fairfax County.

Date: March 16, 2014 05:06PM

JustanFYI Wrote:
> lbss82 Wrote:
> -----
> > More Springfield love. date unknown.
>
>
> The top of the photo says Sep 69. So, I'm going
> to go with that and say its now known.

Ok wise guy, lol!

That just means the film was developed in Sep 69. Could have been taken before then.

Posted by: Wt36Y ()
Date: March 17, 2014 06:49AM

Not in Fairfax but DC...

The Newton Theatre, 3601 12th Street, NE, 1930s - via: http://goo.gl/0ssd47
Attachments:
1962017_621534537933785_1598793174_o.jpg

Date: March 17, 2014 07:45AM

Logan Ford, Springfield Virginia.
Attachments:
1902735_10152225189255726_1741097769_n.jpg

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: March 17, 2014 10:04AM

1995hoo Wrote:
> lost over royalty Wrote:
> >
> > ....
> >
> > Another related royalty question. Have other
> > British royalty come to visit places in Fairfax
> > County? I was thinking of something in the
> 60's
> > but perhaps I'm confusing it with another town?
>
> I know HM the Queen visited Charlottesville in
> 1976 as part of the bicentennial, though I don't
> know whether she went anywhere in Fairfax County.

Visitors to Mount Vernon included Queen Elizabeth and her husband (in the 1950s I believe), her father George VI and the future Edward VII, along with a Saudi prince.

Posted by: Lori k. ()
Date: March 17, 2014 12:26PM

David G.? You are my Hero!

Posted by: Lori k. ()
Date: March 17, 2014 12:26PM

David G.? You are my Hero!

Date: March 20, 2014 05:02AM

Hot Shoppes Springfield.
Attachments:
hot shopps.jpg

Date: March 22, 2014 09:07AM

Gran Torino!
Attachments:
gran torino.jpg

Date: March 22, 2014 09:22AM

I never knew there was a Grand Union at Bradlick shopping center.
Attachments:
grand union.jpg

Posted by: Dave Henery ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:16AM

A friend of mine sent me this picture. I was about 7 yers old the one time I went to this place. Hope you all like it. I love this thread.

Dave out.
Attachments:
olde va city.jpg

Posted by: Original Springfielder ()
Date: March 22, 2014 06:28PM

Looks like the picture was taken from Backlick Rd. almost to the intersection with Old Keene Mill Rd.

You can see the car hop overhang to the right of the restaurant.

Good memory, thanks!

lbss82 Wrote:
> Hot Shoppes Springfield.

Posted by: ExPatUK ()
Date: March 22, 2014 08:52PM

Oh my God I am such a nerd and I apologize for it, but I noticed that the Union Jack in the picture is upside-down. The cross of St. Patrick (thin red lines) go the other way around.
Attachments:
JCP.jpg

Posted by: xMUKY ()
Date: March 22, 2014 09:13PM

ExPatUK Wrote:
> Oh my God I am such a nerd and I apologize for it,
> but I noticed that the Union Jack in the picture
> is upside-down. The cross of St. Patrick (thin
> red lines) go the other way around.

Yes, you are a nerd for noticing but good catch.

Wonder if anyone noticed at the time?

Posted by: wagon train ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:23PM

Fairfax welcome wagon.
Attachments:
welcome.jpg

Posted by: GeezerDude ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:42PM

H B Lantzsch CRecent 3-6700.. His building is still at The Circle.. The Phone number is still for Volkswagen.. Fairfax Volkswagen

Date: March 23, 2014 12:48AM

What cracks me up the most about this picture are the white gloves!

wagon train Wrote:
> Fairfax welcome wagon.

Posted by: route1.0 ()
Date: March 23, 2014 07:13AM

Back in the day.
Attachments:
route1.0.jpg

Date: March 23, 2014 11:49AM

DMV God Wrote:
> Anyone remember the Woolworths in Tysons Corner
> Mall> Its where LL Bean is today.

I remember there was a Woolworth's, but I thought it was further towards the other end of the mall. I seem to remember it being somewhere in the general vicinity of where Na Hoku is now. I also seem to remember it being one of only a very few businesses in the mall that had an entrance/exit to outside, not just to the mall itself.

Posted by: White Glove Love ()
Date: March 23, 2014 12:46PM

wagon train Wrote:
> Fairfax welcome wagon.

Love this! Is the building shown the VW dealership? Is that bldg still there?

Wonder what ever happened to the VW bus?

Date: March 23, 2014 01:25PM

Mclean Safeway 1960s maybe?
Attachments:
mclean safeway 70s.jpg

Date: March 23, 2014 01:59PM

Rocking Chair theatre.
Attachments:
rocking chair.jpg

Posted by: former deputy ()
Date: March 23, 2014 05:52PM

lbss82 Wrote:
> Gran Torino!

Great pic. Notice how someone blanked out the "No Parking Fire lane sign" LOL!

Posted by: oold ()
Date: March 23, 2014 07:26PM

lbss82 Wrote:
> Mclean Safeway 1960s maybe?

I'd say 50's. All the cars I see are 50's models. '55 Chevy in the foreground.

That Sinclair gas pump has a glass globe on top. I think they were gone by the 60's.

Posted by: Nova Native ()
Date: March 23, 2014 07:59PM

Does anyone have any pictures of the Virginia Hills section of Fairfax County in Alexandria? I've lived in a very old home that sits in between South Kings Highway and Telegraph Road for 31 years. The house has been in our family since 1969. I have pictures of the area dating back to the late 40's-50's before it was developed. I also have pics from the day that Mount Comfort Cemetery (North Kings Highway) was dedicated. Late 40's I believe. Let me know what you guys have! I'll upload what I can.

Posted by: fish ()
Date: March 23, 2014 08:38PM

This picture is not that old but I miss this place really bad.
Attachments:
fish.jpg

Date: March 23, 2014 10:48PM

I believe this has been posted before: The original location of Fischer's Hardware where the Total Wine is now.
Attachments:
Fischer Hardware Original location Early 1960s.png

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: March 24, 2014 06:17AM

lbss82 Wrote:
> Rocking Chair theatre.

The woman who does these drawings of places from our recent past, "Local Color" has a booth at some craft shows and I think she is a member of an art collective in Occoquan. Lots of fun stuff.

I have a few Frozen Dairy Bar, Giffords, etc. in my house.

Posted by: dfharvey ()
Date: March 24, 2014 04:31PM

We rented many a camper there.

Posted by: riola ()
Date: March 25, 2014 12:24AM

Amazing pictures of Springfield Mall!
Top picture: 1979
bottom 3 pictures: 1982

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-business/wp/2014/02/13/before-springfield-town-center-there-was-springfield-mall/
Attachments:
springfield1.jpg
springfield2.jpg
Springfield3.jpg
springfield4.jpg

Posted by: Notsniw Llihcruhc ()
Date: March 25, 2014 01:07AM

ExPatUK Wrote:
> Oh my God I am such a nerd and I apologize for it,
> but I noticed that the Union Jack in the picture
> is upside-down. The cross of St. Patrick (thin
> red lines) go the other way around.

I thought I already posted on this, but maybe it did not go through.

Perhaps you are looking at the backside of a one-sided flag? I have to believe that flipping it over (you say it is upside-down) would result in the same effect you are seeing. It is all about spatial relations.

Posted by: Former Resident ()
Date: March 26, 2014 07:54AM

DMV God Wrote:
> Anyone remember the Woolworths in Tysons Corner
> Mall> Its where LL Bean is today.

Yes! I remember buying plastic model kits there quite often. There was also a toy store right across from it too that had a good model selection.

Date: March 26, 2014 09:55AM

Former Resident Wrote:
> DMV God Wrote:
> -----
> > Anyone remember the Woolworths in Tysons Corner
> > Mall> Its where LL Bean is today.
>
>
> Yes! I remember buying plastic model kits there
> quite often. There was also a toy store right
> across from it too that had a good model
> selection.

But if you wanted to buy glue to put the model together, you had to have parent with you.

Date: March 26, 2014 09:59AM

Original Springfielder Wrote:
> I believe this has been posted before: The
> original location of Fischer's Hardware where the
> Total Wine is now.

I think the original location of Fischer's was in the shopping center where Radio Shack, et al are now.

That store burned down, then they moved to the stand alone building where Total Wine is, and after that to their final site in the other shopping center.

Posted by: Foremer Resident ()
Date: March 26, 2014 12:29PM

oold Wrote:
> Former Resident Wrote:
> -----
> > DMV God Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Anyone remember the Woolworths in Tysons
> Corner
> > > Mall> Its where LL Bean is today.
> >
> >
> > Yes! I remember buying plastic model kits there
> > quite often. There was also a toy store right
> > across from it too that had a good model
> > selection.
>
>
> But if you wanted to buy glue to put the model
> together, you had to have parent with you.

...and then Testor's started scenting the glue like oranges...I wanted to sniff it more than ever....and it was good for us.

Posted by: Bart Simpson ()
Date: March 26, 2014 02:28PM

Haha
Attachments:
Springfield_Mall_3-PNG.jpg

Posted by: Hmmmm ()
Date: March 26, 2014 04:00PM

I had to be out in the Chicago area for work a few years ago, actually was staying in Oak Brook and there was this very nice high end mall that was open like Landmark used to be. Went there a few times in the evening just to get outside for awhile and recall thinking how nice it was compared to places like Springfield Mall, Landmark, etc.

Posted by: Revell Model Airplanes ()
Date: March 26, 2014 06:30PM

Foremer Resident Wrote:
> oold Wrote:
> -----
> > Former Resident Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > DMV God Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Anyone remember the Woolworths in Tysons
> > Corner
> > > > Mall> Its where LL Bean is today.
> > >
> > >
> > > Yes! I remember buying plastic model kits
> there
> > > quite often. There was also a toy store right
> > > across from it too that had a good model
> > > selection.
> >
> >
> > But if you wanted to buy glue to put the model
> > together, you had to have parent with you.
>
> ...and then Testor's started scenting the glue
> like oranges...I wanted to sniff it more than
> ever....and it was good for us.

It's true... Testor's did start adding the orange scent. Never imbibed for the 'experience' but good memories of plastic airplane model purchases/assembly.

Built the the F4U-Corsair, B-17G and so many others. The little paint jars and thinner still smelled as they should have... like paint.

Awesome!

Posted by: Dew U remember?? ()
Date: March 26, 2014 08:01PM

oold Wrote:
> Original Springfielder Wrote:
> -----
> > I believe this has been posted before: The
> > original location of Fischer's Hardware where
> the
> > Total Wine is now.
>
>
> I think the original location of Fischer's was in
> the shopping center where Radio Shack, et al are
> now.
>
> That store burned down, then they moved to the
> stand alone building where Total Wine is, and
> after that to their final site in the other
> shopping center.

That "stand alone" building was originally the A&P grocery store.
Attachments:
A and P.jpg

Posted by: Model Master Club ()
Date: March 26, 2014 08:17PM

Revell Model Airplanes Wrote:
> Foremer Resident Wrote:
> -----
> > oold Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Former Resident Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > DMV God Wrote:
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > >
> > > > -----
> > > > > Anyone remember the Woolworths in Tysons
> > > Corner
> > > > > Mall> Its where LL Bean is today.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Yes! I remember buying plastic model kits
> > there
> > > > quite often. There was also a toy store
> right
> > > > across from it too that had a good model
> > > > selection.
> > >
> > >
> > > But if you wanted to buy glue to put the
> model
> > > together, you had to have parent with you.
> >
> > ...and then Testor's started scenting the glue
> > like oranges...I wanted to sniff it more than
> > ever....and it was good for us.
>
> It's true... Testor's did start adding the orange
> scent. Never imbibed for the 'experience' but
> good memories of plastic airplane model
> purchases/assembly.
>
> Built the the F4U-Corsair, B-17G and so many
> others. The little paint jars and thinner still
> smelled as they should have... like paint.
>
> Awesome!

So dang funny...whenever I'm driving down Old Keene Mill just across from Springfield Country Club, I think of model airplanes and paint.

I used to buy model airplanes in that shopping center, early 70's.

I always think of Mustangs and Messerschmits when I'm there.

Good times.

Date: March 26, 2014 11:15PM

The picture I posted is the original location of the Fischer's store. That's the shopping center that had the Tots 'n Teens store that someone else remembered earlier. That was where Fischer's was located when the fire occurred and the reason they moved to the stand-alone building across the street, which was originally the A&P.

Fischer's then vacated the stand-alone store and moved to its last location near Kate's Irish Pub (now closed). When Fischer's moved from the stand-alone store, Total Wine moved in. Total Wine then moved across the street to what was the original location of Fischer's. Geez, as I type this, it confuses me!

By the way, Radio Shack is located in the shopping center across Bland Street, on the corner of Bland St. and Backlick Rd.

oold Wrote:
> -----
> > I believe this has been posted before: The
> > original location of Fischer's Hardware where
> the
> > Total Wine is now.
>
>
> I think the original location of Fischer's was in
> the shopping center where Radio Shack, et al are
> now.
>
> That store burned down, then they moved to the
> stand alone building where Total Wine is, and
> after that to their final site in the other
> shopping center.

Date: March 26, 2014 11:41PM

Oh yes, I remember it well. The picture reminds me of a story:

See the front door at the left front corner of the store? And see the large plate glass window along the left side of the entrance? Way back when, they had a park bench in front of that window. One day my Dad takes my little brother and me to the A&P. We sit on the bench to wait for him. All of a sudden, there was a horrible noise and it seemed that the world had blown up! The window had broken and we were covered by a million pieces of glass (this was before safety glass)!

Seems my little brother had fallen through the back of the bench because the bottom slat along the back of the bench was missing. He fell back and hit his head on the plate glass window, which then shattered.

We were both okay, but I can't imagine the panic my Father felt when he came around the corner and saw both his kids covered in glass!

Dew U remember?? Wrote:
> oold Wrote:
> -----
> > Original Springfielder Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I believe this has been posted before: The
> > > original location of Fischer's Hardware where
> > the
> > > Total Wine is now.
> >
> >
> > I think the original location of Fischer's was
> in
> > the shopping center where Radio Shack, et al
> are
> > now.
> >
> > That store burned down, then they moved to the
> > stand alone building where Total Wine is, and
> > after that to their final site in the other
> > shopping center.
>
>
> That "stand alone" building was originally the A&P
> grocery store.

Transpo72
Posted by: Captron ()
Date: March 27, 2014 09:34PM

Greetings,
I'm doing research on Transpo72, was there in May 1972 and took a picture of that GMC camper. I'm having a problem remembering the exact dates as all I can find is the start date of May 27, 1972. I graduated USCG boot camp on May 26, 1972. We rode buses down from Cape May, NJ and stood guard along the fence line in front of the bleachers. I saw the plane crash, the huge fireball, and the pilot's parachute drift into the fire. Well that may be another clue...
Time to do another quick search.
Thanks,
CaptRon

Posted by: lbss82bruin ()
Date: March 27, 2014 10:47PM

The expo ran fron May 27 - June 4, 1972, .and was held on 300 acres at Dulles Int'l Airport The crash CaptRon speaks of was on the last day. There were 2 other fatalities during the expo. Dulles has never had another airshow since.

Posted by: meat ()
Date: March 28, 2014 02:36AM

1955. 3 pounds of ground beef for a buck!
Attachments:
meat.jpg

Date: March 28, 2014 02:49AM

Fairfax county police station in Mclean Virginia circa 1964
Attachments:
1964.jpg

Date: March 28, 2014 03:09AM

one more.
Attachments:
fairfaxx.jpg

Date: March 28, 2014 03:31AM

This is a little off the subject of Fairfax county but I think it is cool. Mid 1970s Plymouth fury.
Attachments:
state.jpg

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: March 28, 2014 04:01AM

meat Wrote:
> This is a little off the subject of Fairfax county
> but I think it is cool. Mid 1970s Plymouth fury.

haha Can you imagine being in a high speed chase with one of those things?

Date: March 28, 2014 07:37AM

lbss82bruin Wrote:
> The expo ran fron May 27 - June 4, 1972, .and was
> held on 300 acres at Dulles Int'l Airport The
> crash CaptRon speaks of was on the last day.
> There were 2 other fatalities during the expo.
> Dulles has never had another airshow since.

I was there on one of those days during that time. Saw a P-51 Mustang up close for the first time. I was fascinated. Thanks for the timeline reminder.

Date: March 28, 2014 07:37AM

meat Wrote:
> one more.

Never knew the Baskin Robins used to be an Amoco station.

Date: March 28, 2014 09:08AM

eesh Wrote:
> meat Wrote:
> -----
> > This is a little off the subject of Fairfax
> county
> > but I think it is cool. Mid 1970s Plymouth
> fury.
>
>
>
>
> haha Can you imagine being in a high speed chase
> with one of those things?

The Duke Boys got chased all the time by Roscoe and Enos who were driving those.

Fury Paddy
Posted by: Statesman81 ()
Date: March 28, 2014 09:52AM

Those Fury police cruisers could double as paddy wagons by today's standards. That interceptor is almost twice the size of the Impalas we use now. I bet they were a handful in high speed chases of the day.

Re: Fury Paddy
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: March 28, 2014 09:57AM

Statesman81 Wrote:
> Those Fury police cruisers could double as paddy
> wagons by today's standards. That interceptor is
> almost twice the size of the Impalas we use now.
> I bet they were a handful in high speed chases of
> the day.

The things I notice are-

1) the size of the "cherry" on top, I doubt any one calls them cherries anymore since they've switched to blue.

2) lookit all the fucking antenna's! That used to be a giveaway for the unmarked or looking for the silhouette when speeding.

The newer cop cars are actually pretty Buck Rogers compared to this.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: Some dude ()
Date: March 28, 2014 10:01AM

I have some old pictures of Fairfax Hospital from the 50s or 60s when it was being built. I'll have to upload them and post them.

Posted by: NS 13 ()
Date: March 28, 2014 10:10AM

Kimmels Furniture must be one strong business, maybe Fischers Hardware should try to merge with Kimmels.

Posted by: Great thread ()
Date: March 28, 2014 11:06AM

BTT bump

Date: March 29, 2014 01:59AM

Lee Highway, 1963. Anyone know where?
Attachments:
Lee Highway 1963.JPG

Date: March 29, 2014 02:03AM

End of King Street in Old Town Alexandria, 1900.
Attachments:
Alexandria Foot of King St. 1900.JPG

Date: March 29, 2014 02:55AM

> Lee Highway, 1963. Anyone know where?

Nice pic OS! I am going to guess that is extreme north Arlington. I think that Howard Johnsons billboard is advertising the 2601 Virginia ave motel where the Watergate listening post was set up in one of the rooms.
Attachments:
wartergate hojo.jpg

Date: March 29, 2014 03:10AM

How about a little love for Oakton Virginia. Before Appalachian Outfitters.
Attachments:
app outfitters.jpg

Date: March 29, 2014 03:16AM

Here is one just for you Original Springfielder!
Attachments:
tower.jpg

Date: March 29, 2014 03:27AM

If you look at the right hand side of this picture you can see the hojo and the esso station before the tower was built. What were they thinking when they decided to build a high-rise office building right over top of a gas station with thousands of gallons of fuel underground? It was a different world back then. Anyways this was my generation's springfield interchange.
Attachments:
pre tower.jpg

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: March 29, 2014 07:05AM

> Lee Highway, 1963. Anyone know where?

The VW is heading up the hill into Cherrydale from the Spout Run area where 66 crosses Lee Highway in Arlington is my guess.

See the W&OD engine on the tracks?

Date: March 29, 2014 10:14AM

This is the place where I was born.
Attachments:
hospital 1965.jpg

Posted by: Linda ()
Date: March 29, 2014 12:19PM

I finally thought of something that I have not seen yet! Original Springfielder, you will remember this I am sure! There used to be a Frozen Custard stand, near the intersection of Backlick and Rolling Rd - way back when there was a light there and you could cross over. It was real frozen custard, not soft serve like today. It only came in vanilla or chocolate, maybe a twist? It was right near a car lot, my folks would take us and then walk around looking at cars.

Posted by: RowdyBurns ()
Date: March 29, 2014 05:22PM

What is it that made the mixing bowl such a mess of on/off ramps?

Date: March 29, 2014 05:23PM

Linda Wrote:
> I finally thought of something that I have not
> seen yet! Original Springfielder, you will
> remember this I am sure! There used to be a
> Frozen Custard stand, near the intersection of
> Backlick and Rolling Rd - way back when there was
> a light there and you could cross over. It was
> real frozen custard, not soft serve like today. It
> only came in vanilla or chocolate, maybe a twist?
> It was right near a car lot, my folks would take
> us and then walk around looking at cars.

Are you thinking about Backlick and Old Keene Mill Road? Backlick and Rolling don't meet, never have.

Posted by: linda ()
Date: March 29, 2014 09:51PM

yes, sorry ! Old Keene Mille Road, not Rolling. But do you remember the custard stand?

Date: March 30, 2014 12:47AM

Linda, I don't remember a frozen custard stand at that intersection, sorry.

But I do remember pony rides at that intersection! Maybe the custard stand was with the pony rides? They were on the corner across from the Hot Shoppes on the spot where the 5-story office bldg. is located now. By the way, that was the first "high rise" in Springfield.

You're right that the intersection used to have a traffic light. As a matter of fact, that was the very first traffic light in Springfield.

lbss82bruin Wrote:
> Linda Wrote:
> -----
> > I finally thought of something that I have not
> > seen yet! Original Springfielder, you will
> > remember this I am sure! There used to be a
> > Frozen Custard stand, near the intersection of
> > Backlick and Rolling Rd - way back when there
> was
> > a light there and you could cross over. It was
> > real frozen custard, not soft serve like today.
> It
> > only came in vanilla or chocolate, maybe a
> twist?
> > It was right near a car lot, my folks would
> take
> > us and then walk around looking at cars.
>
>
> Are you thinking about Backlick and Old Keene Mill
> Road? Backlick and Rolling don't meet, never
> have.

Date: March 30, 2014 12:52AM

blanche Wrote:
> -----
> > Lee Highway, 1963. Anyone know where?
>
>
> The VW is heading up the hill into Cherrydale from
> the Spout Run area where 66 crosses Lee Highway in
> Arlington is my guess.
>
> See the W&OD engine on the tracks?

Thanks, Blanche & lbss82. I knew someone would figure it out. I realized the overpass was a railroad crossing, but I don't really know Lee Highway that well and the road today is vastly different!

Date: March 30, 2014 12:58AM

lbss82 Wrote:
> Here is one just for you Original Springfielder!

Wow, amazing! I remember when this was built but have never come across any pictures of the construction. Thanks!

Anyone remember when this building had a fire? I came across a picture years ago, but didn't save it and now I can't find it again.

Date: March 30, 2014 01:21AM

lbss82 Wrote:
> If you look at the right hand side of this picture
> you can see the hojo and the esso station before
> the tower was built. What were they thinking when
> they decided to build a high-rise office building
> right over top of a gas station with thousands of
> gallons of fuel underground? It was a different
> world back then. Anyways this was my generation's
> springfield interchange.

Ahhhh, a much simpler time! Sure wish the traffic was the same as when this picture was taken!

Not really sure the tower was built "over" the gas station; I believe it was built right next to it. And wouldn't the tanks have been closer to the pumps, which were on the other side of the gas station facing Bland St? I don't know gas stations, so I could be wrong.

See the houses in the lower left? They were demolished when I-95 was widened.

Date: March 30, 2014 07:59AM

county speed trap then & now.
Attachments:
radar.jpg

Date: March 30, 2014 10:56AM

lbss82 Wrote:
> county speed trap then & now.

I remember the old tripod radar sets! If they got you, the cop would walk out and motion you in. If you didn't pull over, the motorsickles would come after you because the radar car couldn't be moved quickly enough.

They used to set up at Heritage and Newcastle (Annandale) when I was a kid and we all us kids used to hang out and watch. It was fun and the cops were very nice to us. They used to let us wear their hats and stuff. They'd probably tase us today.

They used to shoot the radar down Heritage and catch them coming up the hill. It beeped at 38 mph (in a 25 zone) and you got a ticket. One night, the thing started beeping much faster than usual. Dude was coming up the hill at 76 mph! All the motorsickles roared off after him immediately, but this time the radar cop threw the tripod in the back seat of the car and went after him too.

They already had two cars pulled over, but hadn't finished their tickets yet. So the cop gave me their driver licenses and registrations and told me to give them back and tell them to DISREGARD. I remember walking up to those cars and saying, "This is your lucky day!".

Great fun hanging out at the speed trap!

Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: March 30, 2014 12:37PM

GREAT Stuff folks...keep them rolling in....a few Annandale and Fairfax visuals...
Attachments:
annandale church1.jpg
29 drive in.JPG

Date: March 30, 2014 12:44PM

I have just a very vague memory of this place. I think my Mom took me there in the 70s. Was it on route 1 somewhere?
Attachments:
theives.jpg

Posted by: NS 13 ()
Date: March 30, 2014 12:49PM

Home Depot

Posted by: Just Wondrin ()
Date: March 30, 2014 12:58PM

Some time back I started a thread on Valle's Steak House and referred back to a Wikipedia article I had written on the topic.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/1100089/1264924.html#msg-1264924
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valle%27s_Steak_House

I just finished another Wikipedia article last week: "Falls Church Airpark" which was the general aviation airport that was located on what is now Loehmann's Plaza. Lots of research (almost all of it via WaPo archives). One of the most interesting backstories concerned Leroy Eakin who apparently owned lots of acreage in Fairfax County and, according to one article, was successful in getting US 50 through FFX, at least as it is currently constructed. I suspect he made a good deal of cash in the process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falls_Church_Airpark
Attachments:
Falls Church Airpark 1951 USGS aerial view.jpg

Pages: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 145

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.