HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...128129130131132133134135136137138...LastNext
Current Page: 133 of 145
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: John Bradshaw ()
Date: August 29, 2020 10:17AM

damien Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No actually, all I need is top shelf Gin, Vodka
> and Bourbon and Wiskey. Which I pay a highly
> inflated price for living in Northern Virginia.
> But thanks for the advice, which I will ignore.

Damien, your life is unmanageable with your excessive alcohol consumption and addiction, quite obviously. Get some help before it's too late. You can save yourself from yourself.

https://aavirginia.org/meetings?d=6&c=McLean&v=list
https://aavirginia.org/meetings?d=6&c=Great+Falls&v=list
https://aa.org/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8370480DEC1FC455

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: damien ()
Date: August 29, 2020 12:22PM

How the hell do you know how much I consume? I suggest you join the "Woman's Christian Temperance Union". They are the folks that brought us "Prohibition". Yea, look how well that movement turned out. Provided us "Crime Incorporated". Dude, just post a picture here if you can.

Posted by: Question.... ()
Date: August 29, 2020 12:30PM

..where are your pics, damien? Don't see them.

Date: August 29, 2020 02:04PM

Oh yea, and one more thing John Bradshaw (). If it was good enough for Jesus, it is (alcohol) good enough for me. The Marriage at Cana. The transformation of water into wine at the Marriage at Cana or Wedding at Cana is the first miracle attributed to Jesus in the Gospel of John.

Heck I was raised Catholic, but not have attend a church service since 1968. What a alcoholic heathen I am! Please pray for me. Amen brother.

Date: August 29, 2020 02:35PM

So, am I really going to have to respond to this post? Hell, why not.

Please, let me lead you by the hand based on your question person - "Question.... ()."

This website has a menu pick, at the top of the main page. It is in the second row that you can find it.

Go to: Search•Control Center•Private Messages•Log Out

Search is the menu pick you want to click on.

When clicked on, you will be provided a search menu form,

In fhe form there is a second field indentified as "Search Authors: "

Just enter damien in lowercase letters. There was a forum user named Damien (uppercase D), before me, which I have had nothing to do with.

My first ever post was regarding "43. Re: Sunset Grille" posted on Date: August 07, 2016 05:41PM. No one ever responded to it. Fine, no picture, just a question.

So. once you search you will see all my posts. My recent posts have 3 images all together. I suggest you click on this link-> http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?2,file=424877,filename=aerial_photo_Random_Hills.jpg

This is the first image I've ever posted here.

Hope this helps you out "Question.... ()."

Cheers.

Date: August 29, 2020 05:20PM

Actually, my name is Donald Trump, and I've approved this message.

Oh,Old picture fan () , don't shit you pants, please.

Posted by: The Jewish Soup Nazi ()
Date: August 29, 2020 06:27PM

Gee Goy I guess I "gots" to break out my late 60's old T shirt when I reply to you , BTW I never posted anything bigoted or racist how can I when Im The JEW In That BIG JEW CANOE

Post some old pics or STFU . Its not a sweat , then you can bitch in your post

Your new pal DAJAX The JEW and obvious Soup Nazi

Merrywood in 1974 The House "Jackie O" grew up in Mclean on the Potomac with the son of the owners

The story goes from my memory that Bobby Kennedy wanted that house in the late 50's .The owner then was a old school Virginia State Senator who was appalled by Bobby's brashness like a Rich New York Billionaire LOL Im voting for again displays that's MAGA. Bobby offered $100000 for the house and was firmly told "Its not for sale" , So Bobby bought "Hickory Hill" on Old Chain Bridge Road for his expanding gang of children to romp swim and play for decades to come for the same amount . Exactly what Elvis paid for Graceland back then . When Hickory Hill was sold not all that long ago It was up for 10 million , I don't know what it sold for. "When your old rich and crotchety and especially cheap everything is not that long ago"
Attachments:
merrywood.jpg
hecanttakeajoke.jpg
starofdavid.png

Posted by: WOW Damien Has His Own Thread ! ()
Date: August 29, 2020 06:37PM

They want to engage you Damien in the main forum as you requested

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/3447950.html

Date: August 29, 2020 08:01PM

I like chicken soup. Please crucify me.

Date: August 29, 2020 08:08PM

Dude, I did not request anything.

Posted by: Correction Dept On Merrywood ()
Date: August 29, 2020 09:06PM

DAJAX has a good memory but he's wrong on Bobby Kennedy wanting to buy Merrywood from any Virginia state senator , it must have been another house . It was owned by Hugh Auchincloss who had owned it for quite a while and did sell it in the late 1950's . Hickory Hill was bought by John F Kennedy and then sold to Bobby Kennedy in the late 1950's

https://househistree.com/houses/merrywood

A women's dream home , Merrywood On The Potomac sold By AOL's Steve Case in 2018 to the Saudi Arabic government for 43 million . Real estate magnate Alan I. Kay of NOVA apts fame Kay Management and his wife owned the house in the 80's when it brought a mere 4 and some million dollars a huge real estate price at that time

43 million equals property taxes of about 500k but if you have to ask you cant afford it
Attachments:
JackiesBedroom.jpg

Posted by: Simple Request ()
Date: August 29, 2020 09:13PM

damien Wrote:
> Dude, I did not request anything.

You have become a pest, and nobody wants to talk to you.

Find another thread.

Go away.

Date: August 29, 2020 09:27PM

FUCK THE PRIVILEGED WHITE FOLK OM HERE!!

Posted by: TVPJK ()
Date: August 29, 2020 10:48PM

Some of the orignal "Old Pictures". Been commuting through Tysons Corner for 21 years and the transformation is crazy. My cousin had her wedding reception at Evans Farm Inn. Good memories.

file.php?2,file=70459,filename=2OldTysonfile.php?2,file=70460,filename=tysons.jpfile.php?2,file=70461,filename=OldTysonsfile.php?2,file=70462,filename=OldTysonsfile.php?2,file=70463,filename=1OldTysonfile.php?2,file=70464,filename=5OldTyson

Posted by: Channel That Mouth Energy ()
Date: August 29, 2020 11:00PM

Into a job and not trying to get get another welfare check or just hustling living off the GF's selling drugs . Not a chance in hell huh even though there's no legal discrimination today except for affirmative action

>FU.. THE PRIVILEGED WHITE FOLK OM HERE!! Lame Che copycat huh just remember to SKATE OR DIE! Never bring a skate board to a gunfight !

Posted by: Black Lives DO MATTER ()
Date: August 29, 2020 11:13PM

So do ALL LIVES Of people of every color and religion on this earth. Amen

Posted by: Need A TV Dinner Tray ()
Date: August 29, 2020 11:34PM

Now look at the insanity Democrats have created in the streets
Attachments:
Johhnyreb.jpg

Posted by: Jefferson Theater ()
Date: August 29, 2020 11:57PM

1950's In Falls Church DAJAX That looks like JV the bluegrass joint next door near Annandale or Graham Road
\
What page is it already on here ? lol Goodnight all peace at last
Attachments:
Jeffersontheater.jpg

Posted by: GBW ()
Date: August 30, 2020 12:01AM

Jefferson Theater Wrote:
> 1950's In Falls Church DAJAX That looks like JV
> the bluegrass joint next door near Annandale or
> Graham Road

I'm thinking the person who owns the car on the right is not getting in on the drivers side. Hahahaha.

Posted by: The Squeezer Got Their License ()
Date: August 30, 2020 12:11AM

From The State Of Intoxication. OH then again they did allow women to drive then

Posted by: Near Sleepy Hollow ()
Date: August 30, 2020 12:18AM

Mid 60's Rt 7 Old iron eye candy in that lot , a GMC panel truck too
Attachments:
7corners.jpg

Posted by: GBW ()
Date: August 30, 2020 12:23AM

Near Sleepy Hollow Wrote:
> Mid 60's Rt 7 Old iron eye candy in that lot , a
> GMC panel truck too

Does that sign say "HAHN"? Like Hahn shoes? I didn't know there were Hahn shoes around here.

Posted by: John Bradshaw ()
Date: August 30, 2020 08:57AM

damien,

The first and hardest step is admitting to yourself that you have a problem with alcohol, and that your life is unmanageable because of it. A problem created by your own self, through your own choices in life.

You can save yourself from yourself, damien.

Just try one day without drinking, then three days without drinking, then a week, then a month, then the rest of your life. Sobriety is a choice and lifestyle, damien. You'll be happier and more healthy.

Think of the money you will save, as opposed to spending your life in a stupor flushing money down the toilet. You already admitted it was an expense in your life. Give yourself a second chance, stop the expense and insanity of booze in your life. Seek help in AA, county mental health and substance abuse, group and individual therapy, or private medical treatment and counseling. Whatever it takes, to save yourself from yourself. They can help you, damien.

https://aa.org/

damien Wrote:
> Oh yea, and one more thing John Bradshaw (). If
> it was good enough for Jesus, it is (alcohol) good
> enough for me. The Marriage at Cana. The
> transformation of water into wine at the Marriage
> at Cana or Wedding at Cana is the first miracle
> attributed to Jesus in the Gospel of John.
>
> Heck I was raised Catholic, but not have attend a
> church service since 1968. What a alcoholic
> heathen I am! Please pray for me. Amen brother.

Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: August 30, 2020 09:59AM

GBW Wrote:
> Near Sleepy Hollow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Mid 60's Rt 7 Old iron eye candy in that lot ,
> a
> > GMC panel truck too
>
>
> Does that sign say "HAHN"? Like Hahn shoes? I
> didn't know there were Hahn shoes around here.

Yes Hahn's...many a dress shoe purchased by Mom for me when I was a kid.

Posted by: Old Iron ()
Date: August 30, 2020 10:55AM

Near Sleepy Hollow Wrote:
> Mid 60's Rt 7 Old iron eye candy in that lot , a
> GMC panel truck too

Fantastic photo!

The GMC panel truck has the name Singer painted on it, and looks to be parked next to a 1955 Chevy.

Parked in front of the 55 Chevy is a 1960 Chevrolet Impala Convertible.

See if you can find the 1964 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser.

Posted by: Rick E ()
Date: August 30, 2020 03:31PM

Mclean Virginia. Exact date is not known.
Attachments:
15832_7934176135565138137_o.jpg

Date: August 30, 2020 07:29PM

Nice Post.

Date: August 30, 2020 08:02PM

Can someone here, is this forum, provide me a link to "DAJAX"'s profile? I have no idea who this person is, but this person always seems to have a lot of references, to a lot of threads in his website. Thanks.

Date: August 30, 2020 08:16PM

Well . . . Simple Request (), my suggestion to you is to contact Orkin Pest Control Services, and see what they can do, to help you out. Cheers.

Date: August 30, 2020 08:44PM

Nice post. But a very early one that i can tell, before my time there. But the JV's, when I went there, it was a long narrow place, with Jukebox on your left, seating booths on the right and the long bar on the left. Place always had cold beer on tap, but smelled like it's age, and the bathroom, tiny and scary. There was a area reserved for dart playing. Used to play darts in the WADA League, (Washington Area Darts Association - 1978-1994). Man those were the days. Their cheese fries where very tasty. Cheers.

Posted by: Which Dajax ()
Date: August 30, 2020 08:49PM

There are at least 10 of them , If no theres pictures of greasy food and cheap plastic tablecloths with chipped trailer park dishes its not the real Dajax

Posted by: This DAJAX Sucker! ()
Date: August 30, 2020 10:29PM

The real one. A real American Not A Communist ! Who Wants Our US Constitution Upheld like all real Americans do , the rest sadly just don't care .

Hey Blondie ! Bring me another beer !

"The Dixie Pig late 70's to 1990's lol

The Real DAJAX The Cook Whose food Is So Good It Has To Be Copied

One glimpse for posterity in the Old Pics thread as someday it will be a grand old picture !

Actually It was old drunks that used to yell that not me, I played the role of Straight Man, not Lib Clown and still do out there in somewhere land standing in Line Right Next To YOU ! BOO ! lol
Attachments:
DAJAXSBIGSKRIMPBASKET.jpg

Posted by: jctuy ()
Date: August 30, 2020 11:03PM

This DAJAX Sucker! Wrote:
> The real one.

I'd eat that. I'd need some hot sauce but it looks like a good meal.

Date: August 30, 2020 11:10PM

Need A TV Dinner Tray ()

This post is outrageous! You dastardly person you! How do sleep at night, knowing that you absconded with Fairfax County property from the Fairfax High School mess hall.

Shameful!

Well actually ... I am quite jealous. I wanted to got to Fairfax High in 1970, and play on the football the team. But I only weighed 119 pounds. That goal was unrealistic at Fairfax and Oakton as well.

Alas, it was not to be, ended up at Oakton High in 1970 for a year, and then 3 years at Robinson High School thru 1974.

So, I choose wrestling as my sports goal.

There were two coaches that I knew at Oakton. JV coach Mr. Underhill and Coach John Epperly.

Mr. Epperly has led Robinson to 10 district titles, eight regional titles and three state titles. Only Billy Martin, John Epperly Sr.'s high school coach, who led Granby High School of Norfolk to 22 state titles in 23 years (from 1949-1971), has a better record.

I got my sports "letter" in wrestling, I think he felt sorry for me, but I did put in the time and tried my best..

Coach Epperly was the finest role model that any High School athlete could ever hope for.

He taught me a lot, just like my father did outside of sports.

Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2020 01:39PM by damien.

Posted by: Thanks For The Good Word Pal ()
Date: August 30, 2020 11:26PM

I used Louisiana Spicy Shrimp Batter Mix , you put some in a bowl with cold water mix it up and dip in the shrimp one by one then dredge it in some of the mix by itself then fry

It was spicy a bit and it was very salty I usually make my own breading but wanted to try it as it was cheap on sale I have tried just about every way to make fried shrimp. I usually dredge in regular flour not self rising as it too is salty then dip in egg wash with an egg beaten with some milk then dredge in Italian bread crumbs or a home made mix of flour with extras and sometimes corn meal then put it in the refrigerator about an hour to set up the breading then fry. .I also leave a bit of tail shell on peeled shrimp then cut them open and devein and cut a bit more to open them in butterfly style. I used a Granpappy fryer but they fry at about 400 F and that's too hot the breading will overbrown so now I use a Presto fryer with a adjustable thermostat. Its bigger and does a very good job at 350. Your Pal DAJAX the cook who uses Canola oil in the big jugs from BJs or Costco better then peanut oil for you and cheap , but one lasts me about 2 years Im not really all that grease crazy . Nor have I ever worked as a cook or chef lol I just watch slyly steal info and learn

Ya'all know that Thrashers French Fries in OC first fries their fries at about 325 to par boil um in the hot oil then fries um at about 360 F to finish . Lots of resturauants do that. Today the big deal is the crispy coatings that taste good and are salty . Cornstarch will do that too, ask Sleepy Holla here he knows commercial cooking if he'll share some secrets . Ill be spying lol
Attachments:
LAShrimpbatter.jpg

Posted by: I Never Was Into "Sports" ()
Date: August 30, 2020 11:54PM

I wanted to form a 7 man combat handgun/rife/shotgun shooting team in high school , but when I asked the principal with a totally serious straight face...... He Laughed in my face and then asked if I would show him the .44 Mag I brought in that day for show and tell so he could get a feel of the size of it . I had no ammo with me and had to tell him to add several more ounces to the weight lol. Then officer Cox came by and he too wanted to see and heft it and said it would be a horse of a pistol to carry all day instead of his Smith .38 and said your a good man to stay away from the weed , join us on the force when your 21 if you'll cut that long hair past your shoulders then he laughed and said you could hide several reefers in that young man . lol DAJAX really! And not a soul ever thought of doing any harm with a gun in a school back then ! No One ! Every door was open , the only threat was when the drop out long haired dirty extreme liberal "Zig Zag Man" was spotted around the school who I and my friends called "The Commie" what older people called me too with my hair. So What went wrong ? I know and it starts with a "L and a D" and getting rid of honest talking to young children about guns and their safety

Date: August 31, 2020 10:51AM

I thought this forum was about old pictures of Fairfax, Love em...

Who was William Duncan Silkworth?

Oh, Ironies of all ironies.

The Silkworth surname is part of my maternal family line, from Brooklyn, New York.

My Great Great Grandmother was Ella Silkworth of Greenpoint, New York - 1800's.

William Duncan Silkworth was part of (my) the same family line of relatives.

I'm quite informed about his passion to help folks. But please give me a break. Ok?

Please pass this on to your passionate AA followers in this forum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Duncan_Silkworth
https://silkworth.net
https://aaagnostica.org/2014/10/22/william-duncan-silkworth/
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/19961071/dr-silkworth-obituary/
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11339789/william-duncan-silkworth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Alcoholics_Anonymous

Cheers for the last time!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2020 01:35PM by damien.

Posted by: real world view ()
Date: August 31, 2020 12:45PM

I Never Was Into "Sports" Wrote:
> I wanted to form a 7 man combat
> handgun/rife/shotgun shooting team in high school
> , but when I asked the principal with a totally
> serious straight face...... He Laughed in my face
> and then asked if I would show him the .44 Mag I
> brought in that day for show and tell so he could
> get a feel of the size of it . I had no ammo with
> me and had to tell him to add several more ounces
> to the weight lol. Then officer Cox came by and he
> too wanted to see and heft it and said it would be
> a horse of a pistol to carry all day instead of
> his Smith .38 and said your a good man to stay
> away from the weed , join us on the force when
> your 21 if you'll cut that long hair past your
> shoulders then he laughed and said you could hide
> several reefers in that young man . lol DAJAX
> really! And not a soul ever thought of doing any
> harm with a gun in a school back then ! No One !
> Every door was open , the only threat was when the
> drop out long haired dirty extreme liberal "Zig
> Zag Man" was spotted around the school who I and
> my friends called "The Commie" what older people
> called me too with my hair. So What went wrong ?
> I know and it starts with a "L and a D" and
> getting rid of honest talking to young children
> about guns and their safety

Oh,stop it with your "the world was great and no problems back then, and now it's completely f'ed up, mostly 'cus of them dam liberals!" BS way of thinking.

The world was plenty f'ed up back then, too.

And speaking of guns in schools, didn't some kid go crazy at Lake Braddock in the early 80's?

Every fricking generation talks of 1. how tough they had when growing up, and, 2. how goofed up the world is now.

Well? Which is it? I guess whatever makes you look the best in your mind.

It's like, i remember when I was a kid in the late 70's...and "old" people back then (probably 40 years old!) were bitching about "god, these dam kids with their computer games...when were kids, we played outside...and we'd skin our knees, and nothing bad happened! These kids today, they're soft!"

And so, now, in my mid 50's, with kids gone on to their lives...I hear youngsters now, in their mid 30's..."god...these dam kids today,,,never play outside,,,always on their computer games,,,when we were kids,,,we'd play all day outside, and skin our knees, and nothing bad happened!"

OH, vomit.

So, I played HS sports back in the 80's...and we had water EVERYWHERE! But, the coaches (who played in the 60's) were all like-man, back then, they would keep us from drinking water! Made us tough! They gave us salt tablets!

Maybe, don't know.

But at a get together a couple years ago of one of my teams...the guys were all like..."man...kids today,..they get water breaks, and they're always told to drink water! Remember when we played? NO water. NO water breaks! They told us to rub dirt on it!"

And I'm thinking...No they didn't. That's not what happened. AT ALL. I remember water EVERYWHERE. They had those little pressurized water tanks they'd roll into the huddles during practice, we had water breaks, the trainer had this little formula, if the heat and humidity were too high, no practice...

But to many of my team-mates...man, we were tough! NO water! Salt tablets!!!

But me, who realizes most of this is feel good BS, said nope, not the way it was. At all.

So, go ahead and think the world was wonderful back then, and it is completely f'ed up now, because of liberals, and what not.

But you're wrong!

It's kinda like, TRUMP...He's campaigning (again) on how f'ed up things are (because he knows this can get his voters all riled up)...but wait a minute...if it's f'ed up, who's fault is that? You've been president for 4 years now!

Posted by: Liberalism Is A Diesese ()
Date: August 31, 2020 02:05PM

That has progressively attacked the American people for over 50 years today. It is responsible for the moral decline of the people of the United States

Date: August 31, 2020 02:07PM

Interesting post real world view (). I have just one bone to pick with your summation. My hero coach John Epperly, and I mean that sincerely, would have us practice in the gym wrestling room with the thermostat turned up. We could also opt for cotton sweat gear, or sweat gear with plastic outer cover over it to really jazz up the workout. Also with the same gear, we would run up and down the stairs to the field house broadcast booth, over and over again. Nothing for sissy's about it. I think I'm a senior citizen now because of those work outs, but some other high school athletes suffered heat strokes and passed away. Reforms came later. Oh well, just the fact's "Jack".

Date: August 31, 2020 02:31PM

Thanks For The Good Word Pal Wrote:
> I used Louisiana Spicy Shrimp Batter Mix , you put
> some in a bowl with cold water mix it up and dip
> in the shrimp one by one then dredge it in some
> of the mix by itself then fry
>
> It was spicy a bit and it was very salty I usually
> make my own breading but wanted to try it as it
> was cheap on sale I have tried just about every
> way to make fried shrimp. I usually dredge in
> regular flour not self rising as it too is salty
> then dip in egg wash with an egg beaten with some
> milk then dredge in Italian bread crumbs or a home
> made mix of flour with extras and sometimes corn
> meal then put it in the refrigerator about an hour
> to set up the breading then fry. .I also leave a
> bit of tail shell on peeled shrimp then cut them
> open and devein and cut a bit more to open them in
> butterfly style. I used a Granpappy fryer but they
> fry at about 400 F and that's too hot the breading
> will overbrown so now I use a Presto fryer with a
> adjustable thermostat. Its bigger and does a very
> good job at 350. Your Pal DAJAX the cook who uses
> Canola oil in the big jugs from BJs or Costco
> better then peanut oil for you and cheap , but one
> lasts me about 2 years Im not really all that
> grease crazy . Nor have I ever worked as a cook or
> chef lol I just watch slyly steal info and learn
>
> Ya'all know that Thrashers French Fries in OC
> first fries their fries at about 325 to par boil
> um in the hot oil then fries um at about 360 F to
> finish . Lots of resturauants do that. Today the
> big deal is the crispy coatings that taste good
> and are salty . Cornstarch will do that too, ask
> Sleepy Holla here he knows commercial cooking if
> he'll share some secrets . Ill be spying lol

Yes DAJAX...some of the FF things you mentioned are true...I like to say they are so easy their hard.
1st-After you cut the spuds to your preferred size you soak in cold water in the fridge
Then you drain (after a good long while) drain and soak again.
2nd-Then after drained and placed on tray, fry in small batches @325 @2-3 minutes-placed spaced out on tray to air dry-or fridge for a while
3rd-Then re-fry @350 until crisp and floating-season immediately after pulling out of the fryer.
4-For coated Fries-prior to final fry use a seasoned flour dredge after dipping in milk/egg or evap milk to help stick and then fry until crisp-to prevent fryer mess-we would flash freeze after coating prior to final fry.

Play around to what works best for you and your equip. Some will coated prior to first fry...not my preferred method.

Posted by: Farlington Center In The 70's ()
Date: August 31, 2020 02:51PM

In Alexandria with old gas hogs and a 64 1/2 or 65/66 Mustang DAJAX plus the confederate statue that was recently taken down. It had a little fenced area around it as real CSA paid their respects to fallen men in gray. Rich's must have been a photo studio

Speaking of Photos . Im putting old pics where my mouth is , instead of bitching about things I never did or can do anything about. Now tell us what page here they are already on lol

I say early 70's as the Mustang has a bit of wear on the paint it seems and the other cars look like beaters too so its not 60's In days of old car paints were no where as good as today , when cars got 10 years old and 100 k in the 50's and 60's they were considered beaters that needed complete rebuilds with engines filled with carbon and greasy junk as well as transmission leaks and plugged rusted radiators . Back in that day commutes of 40 miles + were considered insane , most people drove no more then 20 miles to work and that was considered a long way. 8-14 miles was a reasonably distance far enough that a stern respectable teachers house would be too far for punks to go to Bill N's house to TP it ! Sorry Bill Out of Control just saw Lying Joe's face on TV again lol your Pal DAJAX
Attachments:
65mustang.jpg
ItDinDoNuffinToYou.jpg

Posted by: Speaking Of JACK ()
Date: August 31, 2020 03:01PM

>Oh well, just the fact's "Jack".

Any old pics of Jack In The Box that were here or cold cash coming out of the presses the 100's BIG BOSS MANS Bills please , and pics of tall stacks of those big bills on pallets in the BPE on 14th St. ? Pics of employees coming out of BPE wearing shoplifting coats stuffed with those bills to please. I want to see if I'm in any by mistake Your Pal DAJAX Innocent Passerby ! Honest !

Thanks for the French Fry tips Sleepy I forgot about the ice water bath , coatings are why they are so salty but makes um tasty so that's how to do it yourself!

Date: August 31, 2020 03:28PM

This phrase triggers me. "I gots to ask you a question". Sounds like a out take from an old "Amos and Andy Show", on the old radio. Or maybe you are pure as the driven snow and have not said or believed in anything bigoted in your whole life. If true, I commend you for that. Not interested in ethnic or religious stuff here, but I might use a reference here and there. Here is special place (building) close to Hickory Hill, Mclean, Virginia. Wow a picture for everyone to see! Just past the Scattergood Thorn estate. Cheers.
Attachments:
Special_Place_In_Langley_VA.jpg

Date: August 31, 2020 03:55PM

damien2 ()

Wow, this is awesome. So you decided to create a new Fairfax Underground user name profile called "damien2 () ", to communicate with me.

You know, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, there is.

God Bless you little rascal!

Posted by: Dirty Harry And His .44 ()
Date: August 31, 2020 04:47PM

I gots to ask you if you know who Im am ??

Im not as pure as Jesus Christ but who is ? Antifa JOE Democrats Or their Abortionists ??

Date: August 31, 2020 04:58PM

Hell, Dude, you can be anyone you want to be! There is no rock solid verification code for any of the ID's who join this forum. You could be truly "rumpelstiltskin ()" if you want to.

Did you know that there is a "special hidden menu pick" in this forum, upper menu, that allows me to screen out any responses to my posts, from any person, who uses the phase "I gots to ask"? Yep, there is, and you are not going to be a part of the special folks, like me, who can use it. Cheers.

Posted by: venting gas ()
Date: August 31, 2020 05:26PM

and the saga of the overflowing toilet continues......

Posted by: d is sweet spot dude ()
Date: August 31, 2020 05:27PM

i gots to axe youz a questin is youz a sweet spot dude too , you lives in west falls church or vienna

Date: August 31, 2020 05:42PM

Seems like . . . I, "trigger" a lot of folks in this forum. Man, I have not been more entertained, since I wore my first Jock Strap in High School. When is that magical dude or dudess, database manage/moderator, with the hooked cane, going to "yank" me off stage, of this forum? I only live (at this stage of my life) to serve mankind, but if must I go, I will go gently in the night. God Bless you all!

Date: August 31, 2020 05:54PM

Life is "Gas" man, can you dig it?

Posted by: What Do You Think FXU Really Is ()
Date: August 31, 2020 05:54PM

Adult entertainment for the insane and a few who are not like DAJAX !

Posted by: dbpln ()
Date: August 31, 2020 05:59PM

damien Wrote:
> Seems like . . . I, "trigger" a lot of folks in
> this forum.

This was the last thread that remained relatively civil and on topic. You came here and are attempting to make it all about you. That is what has people "annoyed". There are plenty of other threads for you to "have fun" in.

Posted by: cykj6 ()
Date: August 31, 2020 06:13PM

dbpln Wrote:
> damien Wrote:
> -----
> > Seems like . . . I, "trigger" a lot of folks
> in
> > this forum.
>
> This was the last thread that remained relatively
> civil and on topic. You came here and are
> attempting to make it all about you. That is what
> has people "annoyed". There are plenty of other
> threads for you to "have fun" in.

Amen

Posted by: No Man Its ()
Date: August 31, 2020 06:16PM

Life is "a gas " daddy oh ! . So you were a Beatnik?? OK Your older then me , I was only ..a hippy , You were both! Im BIG BOSS MAN Daddy OH DAJAX !

Now pal we really need to let the people get back to the old pic thread, you see this thread is the only decent on on FXU and that's a sacred thing . I plead guilty to being the ass here at times too many, the times we live in .. but enough's enough.....At least for the time being ..Dig !

For The old Car Nuts My rides of the past , now we can both DIG for some old pics to post and take our conversation to another thread ..peace love and flowers you Hepcat Beatik and Hippy! Im Hungry ! Its past 6pm time to eat !
Attachments:
DAJAXBigBossMan.jpg
DajaxsBatteredpickup.jpg
HungryHepcat.JPG

Posted by: David Roberts ()
Date: August 31, 2020 06:39PM

The C.T. Rice farm was about 3/4-1 mile down Hunter Mill Road from the Oak Tree at the junction of SR 123.

If you know where Maurberry Road joins Hunter Mill, The Rice farm had land abutting what is known as Maurberry today. In my day we called it "The Dirt Road" because it didn't have anyother designation and it was dirt.

Rice was a very prosperous, in terms of the day, dairy farmer. He was featured in a USDA (Dept of Agriculture) year book in the 50s, not sure exact year. We lived across of the farm from 1946 on until our land was sold to a developer. The Rice farm was neat as a pin, but his death put an end to it as a farm sometime in the early 50s.

Trip down memory lane. Fairfax County was a different place back then.

Posted by: Providence ()
Date: September 02, 2020 07:36AM

My Aunt sent me this picture that came from a set of color slides that her parents took on a DC vacation. It is her Dad in front of a cabin at Manuel's tourist camp in Kamp Washington. I guess it is from the 1950 s. A very high resolution picture from that time period compared to others I have seen. Thought you folks would like seeing this.
Attachments:
118699498_10220306202338501_1731087920489745949_n.jpg

Posted by: thanks for inn pic ()
Date: September 02, 2020 11:22AM

Awesome Pic!!

Thanks for sharing, if you have any more like it, please share.

Love the old hotels/motels/motor courts along Rt 1 and 29 in Fairfax County.

Stayed in a few when I was a kid in the 60's, real family style places, and of course, before many of the national chains had motels everywhere.

So, in some areas, these types of places were where you had to stay if doing a driving vacation, and most were not bad!

Date: September 02, 2020 12:31PM

Here is another KW pic.
Attachments:
de4a9fe686719e92470cac1bee76b07f.jpg

Date: September 02, 2020 12:54PM

This may have been posted before, but it fits into the Kamp Washington theme of the day.

It makes notice of the Best Company Store that opened in the early 1980's but that is long gone as well.

Anyone ever had that Italian Spaghetti?
Attachments:
b59786828316523700582f9fe8197d3f.jpg

Posted by: MP5 ()
Date: September 02, 2020 03:01PM

Old Iron Wrote:
> This may have been posted before, but it fits into
> the Kamp Washington theme of the day.
>
> It makes notice of the Best Company Store that
> opened in the early 1980's but that is long gone
> as well.
>
> Anyone ever had that Italian Spaghetti?

I applied to work at BEST in the late 80's. They had a crazy 20 page questionaire you had to fill out, basically a psychological test, to even pass to the interview portion. It would ask "have you ever taken a pencil from your employer?". Then 10 questions later it would ask "do you consider taking a pencil home from work theft?". It was jacked up. Totally trying to catch you in a lie. This was to work upstairs in the storeroom as the guy that pulled items and sent them down the conveyor belt. Needless to say....I never got a call back for an interview. Several years later I got a security clearance from the government with no issues. BEST was tough!!!!

Date: September 02, 2020 04:01PM

Great pics Old Iron and providence...to answer the reporters question on the photo...DC prices was referring to the ABC sign at the restaurant..Alcohol Beverage Control.
Here is one from the collection I believe I posted a few years ago.
Attachments:
kamp wash (3).jpg
kamp wash2 (2).jpg

Posted by: Where The Greasy Flyspecked Shak ()
Date: September 02, 2020 04:27PM

In Old Irons Kamp Washington pic there's a building to the left or right of the Welcome sign that became Fairfax Auto Radiator that was yellow in the early 70's the future site of Best . I knew a man much older then me who worked there, we told lies at Green Dolphin getting a snort of Ice Cold beer way back DAJAX

Pics you Say To Remember old memories older then mine here !

Range 15000 yards fire Salvo !
Attachments:
Ancoragaemotel.jpg
suurenderDorthy.jpg
dullas.jpg
i270495.jpg
fab4inDc.jpg
Pohickpulpit.jpg
PattonmotorHotel.jpg

Posted by: Western Fairfax ()
Date: September 02, 2020 05:24PM

Where The Greasy Flyspecked Shak Wrote:
> In Old Irons Kamp Washington pic there's a
> building to the left or right of the Welcome sign
> that became Fairfax Auto Radiator that was yellow
> in the early 70's the future site of Best . I knew
> a man much older then me who worked there, we told
> lies at Green Dolphin getting a snort of Ice Cold
> beer way back DAJAX
>
> Pics you Say To Remember old memories older then
> mine here !
>
> Range 15000 yards fire Salvo !

Should we reconize the gentleman with the Beatles? Did they actually come here to Fairfax? Great photos. Always hated the "people movers" at Dulles. Was there another airport in the world that used them?

Posted by: fairfax fred ()
Date: September 02, 2020 05:57PM

Providence Wrote:
> My Aunt sent me this picture that came from a set
> of color slides that her parents took on a DC
> vacation. It is her Dad in front of a cabin at
> Manuel's tourist camp in Kamp Washington. I guess
> it is from the 1950 s. A very high resolution
> picture from that time period compared to others I
> have seen. Thought you folks would like seeing
> this.

I bet those cottages had no air conditioning. I wonder if they even had plumbing? Maybe you had to walk to a bath house like you do at most campgrounds these days. I bet it was hot as hell in the summer trying to sleep in one of those things. People were a lot tougher in those days. Great to see a good quality color image from those days! Thanks Providence and see if you can find some more.

Date: September 02, 2020 06:09PM

fairfax fred Wrote:
> Providence Wrote:
> -----
> > My Aunt sent me this picture that came from a
> set
> > of color slides that her parents took on a DC
> > vacation. It is her Dad in front of a cabin at
> > Manuel's tourist camp in Kamp Washington. I
> guess
> > it is from the 1950 s. A very high resolution
> > picture from that time period compared to others
> I
> > have seen. Thought you folks would like seeing
> > this.
>
> I bet those cottages had no air conditioning. I
> wonder if they even had plumbing? Maybe you had to
> walk to a bath house like you do at most
> campgrounds these days. I bet it was hot as hell
> in the summer trying to sleep in one of those
> things. People were a lot tougher in those days.
> Great to see a good quality color image from those
> days! Thanks Providence and see if you can find
> some more.

Tougher? Or just didn't know the difference? I grew up in the desert Southwest with swamp coolers. We moved back here to a house with central air and I was like "WTF were we doing back there? This is wonderful!!!"

Date: September 02, 2020 06:20PM

Providence Wrote:
> Here is another KW pic.

Here are 2 more photos that were posted several years ago. Shows what happened to the Kamp Washington Restaurant.
Attachments:
514946510121_n.jpg
judy7382_n.jpg

Posted by: Why Oh Why ()
Date: September 02, 2020 07:22PM

Did you have to post a pic with a sign "Italian Spaghetti "! I made some the other night ate it all and now want more DAJAX To be kind Ill save Cary the space wasted of the pic , but since it will someday be an old pic Ill post it as "American" Food In 2020

Those People Eaters I mean movers were something , rumbling monsters on wheels the Beatles were in DC pals
Attachments:
HungryHepcat.JPG

Posted by: No AC In Those Cottages ()
Date: September 02, 2020 07:28PM

Window units were yet to come , people grew up with the heat, what they did not have they did not miss but they still sweltered, getting away to a movie theater was on way to get some relief or a drugstore or dept store It was also before Democrats invented "Global Warming" now look what happened ! Its their fault all the way DAJAX especially Al Billionaire Climate Change Gore laughing all the way to the bank , don't pull my tail , Im a Monster lol

Posted by: Class of 71 ()
Date: September 03, 2020 09:03AM

No AC In Those Cottages Wrote:
> Window units were yet to come , people grew up
> with the heat, what they did not have they did not
> miss but they still sweltered, getting away to a
> movie theater was on way to get some relief or a
> drugstore or dept store It was also before
> Democrats invented "Global Warming" now look what
> happened ! Its their fault all the way DAJAX
> especially Al Billionaire Climate Change Gore
> laughing all the way to the bank , don't pull my
> tail , Im a Monster lol

Little known fact is the Beatles appeared in D.C. before appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964

They played at the old Uline Arena.

Date: September 03, 2020 11:17AM

I found this picture in the Virginia record magazine a few years ago. It is the Annandale Shakey's restaurant.
Attachments:
5654730_8430912522608258583_o.jpg
89730_6855378721332394786_o.jpg

Date: September 03, 2020 12:02PM

Class of 71 Wrote:
>
>
> Little known fact is the Beatles appeared in D.C.
> before appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964
>
> They played at the old Uline Arena.

That is awesome. Thanks.

Date: September 03, 2020 12:17PM

Western Fairfax Wrote:
> Class of 71 Wrote:
> -----
> >
> >
> > Little known fact is the Beatles appeared in
> D.C.
> > before appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show in
> 1964
> >
> > They played at the old Uline Arena.
>
>
> That is awesome. Thanks.

Opps....I was wrong.

The Beatles did play the Ed Sullivan show first, then they did their first U.S. concert at the Uline Arena about 48 hours later.

Sorry

Posted by: 11th Lord Fairfax ()
Date: September 03, 2020 06:11PM

Class of 71 Wrote:
> Western Fairfax Wrote:
> -----
> > Class of 71 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > >
> > >
> > > Little known fact is the Beatles appeared in
> > D.C.
> > > before appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show in
> > 1964
> > >
> > > They played at the old Uline Arena.
> >
> >
> > That is awesome. Thanks.
>
>
> Opps....I was wrong.
>
> The Beatles did play the Ed Sullivan show first,
> then they did their first U.S. concert at the
> Uline Arena about 48 hours later.
>
> Sorry

They played on a stage set up like a boxing ring. Paul's microphone was famously not working.

Tons of video around from that concert. Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx5dQJpCXM0

Date: September 03, 2020 08:28PM

Everybody loves before and after pictures, so they can compare.
First photo, 1985 of Fair Oaks and Fair Oaks Mall area, before google maps. Direct down view.
Second photo, google maps current. Direct down view. Man, I'm I going to catch hell for this posting.
Attachments:
Fair_Oaks_Area_1985.jpg
After_Recent.jpg

Posted by: Shakeys ()
Date: September 03, 2020 08:41PM

Those pics were after the 70's at Shakey's in Annandale and all that I went back then , even in California had long wooden tables lined up in school cafeteria style . At one end was the requisite upright piano with the guy playing in red white candy striped shirts and a straw boater hat along with a Dixieland banjoman during peak hours , the beer and soda flowed freely from pitchers cigarette smoke hazed the air , the pizzas kept coming and everyone had a good time never caring what political party they voted for or planning to shoot up a school, with that said Ill never vote for a RINO ever again screw the Lincoln Project Jebbie Kashit Romney and the rest of them them DAJAX

Posted by: A Little Shakeys Love ()
Date: September 03, 2020 09:20PM

From DAJAX The menu from FXU Anyone Remember Shakeys Pizza thread Red

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/653251/ 2011 original thread last post 2017

>The piano man in the red striped shirt, cold beer and good pizza and fun in my book..a loud and good place to go..I miss the way they were..Yuppies..Everything has got to be super ...Well Shitty..LOL

^ Well I am consistent because its true lol I liked that cardboard and rubber pizza with the sauce a pizza that had a slight thinner crust then others way back . RINOS have to bitch about everything and no one likes them

Patch article on Mike McGill https://patch.com/virginia/annandale/meet-the-man-behind-magills
Attachments:
Shakeys.jpg
shakeys_menu_2.jpg

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: September 04, 2020 07:14AM

We'd go to the old Annandale Shakey's after the Colonials lost another football game on Friday night and were able to get a cold one since the age for drinking legally was 18 then.

Good times and good memories.

Posted by: BRAVO!!! ()
Date: September 04, 2020 07:20AM

thanks for inn pic Wrote:
> Awesome Pic!!
>
> Thanks for sharing, if you have any more like it,
> please share.
>
> Love the old hotels/motels/motor courts along Rt 1
> and 29 in Fairfax County.
>
> Stayed in a few when I was a kid in the 60's, real
> family style places, and of course, before many of
> the national chains had motels everywhere.
>
> So, in some areas, these types of places were
> where you had to stay if doing a driving vacation,
> and most were not bad!

^ditto!!! The BEST! Thx Providence!

Posted by: Slapclap ()
Date: September 04, 2020 07:31AM

Providence Wrote:
> Here is another KW pic.

Whenever I see old pictures like this, I hear the old wood-frame screen door slap shut and feel the hardwood floor under my feet. Fun memories.

Posted by: Thispicture ()
Date: September 04, 2020 07:33AM

Attachments:
6ECA02C2-C8FC-4391-91A2-558E21DB139A.jpeg

Posted by: Nova ph ()
Date: September 04, 2020 05:03PM

Sanborn fire insurance maps provide information on the construction materials of buildings of a particular time period and are great reference materials. Here's some from Falls Church, circa 1946.
Attachments:
falls church 1946.jpg
Falls church page 7.jpg
arlington 1.jpg
arlington page 2a.jpg

Posted by: pccbv ()
Date: September 04, 2020 05:36PM

Posted by: Cant See The Map ! ()
Date: September 04, 2020 05:51PM

Its too small Can you make it bigger, Ill give a brother a hand here

So its much bigger so we can see it. Your Pal DAJAX
Attachments:
Makeitbigger.jpg

Posted by: Oh "Tourist Cabins" ()
Date: September 04, 2020 05:56PM

I'm old enough to know that where the "bad "girls went with a boy when they got tired of the "Drive In" and wanted to learn new things or shall I say "tricks" with guys all named "John" DAJAX

Posted by: Emmett Grogan ()
Date: September 04, 2020 07:06PM

Those fire maps are fascinating!

I see they are stamped as from the LOC, but is there a website where local fire maps can be found? Would love to find more like them.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: September 04, 2020 07:41PM

I love the old Sanborn maps. Since they were done to help insurance companies assess fire insurance risks the emphasis was on structures rather than land holdings or roads. Interesting that they didn't think it was necessary to extend the survey down to Wilson Blvd.

Date: September 04, 2020 09:47PM

Hechinger Company Store #11, at Tyson's Corners, Virginia. On the right of 123 toward the beltway before the Tyson's Mall.
Hardware Store, Closed about 1987.
I purchased hand tools and a GE wall window Air Conditioner unit there for about $300. Kept my rented room very nice during the summer, the landlord off of Stuart Mill Road had no central AC.
Cheers. Oh I love you both Sleepy Holla () and DAJAX ().
Attachments:
Hechinger Company.jpg

Posted by: Thanks For The Pics Damien ! ()
Date: September 04, 2020 10:22PM

And keep on posting some old NOVA pics . We love you too as we love all people of every race and religion world wide in real life when were not not behind these keyboards as we see good in all people face to face in life if we take the time to look

Long as we can all get along lol ...but we all have some thick skin here as we all have been set aflame here many times . I personally enjoy fire , it helped me well on my long career as "The Man In The Big Hat and Fast Car " and before that long ago " The Big Boss Man " on the road gang and then in San Quentin as a guard until returning to my beloved Virginia after my vested years in the CalPERS retirement system then onto the state . Mums the word from now on with that

Yes I remember that Hechinger's and the one in Springfield and Camp Washington others here in NOVA peace brother on our travels thru the universe as mankind , women and man all DAJAX

Posted by: Nova ph ()
Date: September 04, 2020 11:05PM

Emmett, they are online here:
https://www.loc.gov/collections/sanborn-maps/?st=gallery

but due to ongoing copyright issues surrounding parts of the collection, many are still not online (such as all the Fairfax editions). But there is progress; for Falls Church there is a 1929 and 1946 edition online, and full sets of Alexandria from 1885 (!), 1907, 1921, and 1941.... looking at the changes between editions is fascinating.

Posted by: Emmett Grogan ()
Date: September 05, 2020 11:49PM

Nova ph Wrote:
> Emmett, they are online here:
> https://www.loc.gov/collections/sanborn-maps/?st=g
> allery
>
> but due to ongoing copyright issues surrounding
> parts of the collection, many are still not online
> (such as all the Fairfax editions). But there is
> progress; for Falls Church there is a 1929 and
> 1946 edition online, and full sets of Alexandria
> from 1885 (!), 1907, 1921, and 1941.... looking at
> the changes between editions is fascinating.

Thanks for the link to the fire maps; fascinating stuff! Y'gotta love this thread!

Posted by: EveryoneReadingThisIsGay ()
Date: September 06, 2020 12:54AM

11th Lord Fairfax Wrote:

> Paul's microphone was famously not working.

It was George's microphone that wasn't working, you silly dope.

Posted by: EveryoneReadingThisIsGay ()
Date: September 07, 2020 10:39AM

Yes indeed, EveryoneReadingThisIsGay is gay; it's recursive, and telling.

Joyful, happy, festive, bright, colourful... gay

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gay

Posted by: Andy Ratlips ()
Date: September 08, 2020 11:45AM

A couple old ads no dates given.
Attachments:
117875705_10221198616699017677_o.jpg
anpooooo98btr.jpg

Posted by: V ()
Date: September 08, 2020 03:58PM

damien Wrote:
> Everybody loves before and after pictures, so they
> can compare.
> First photo, 1985 of Fair Oaks and Fair Oaks Mall
> area, before google maps. Direct down view.
> Second photo, google maps current. Direct down
> view. Man, I'm I going to catch hell for this
> posting.

Awesome aerial. Where'd you find it?

Andy Ratlips Wrote:
> A couple old ads no dates given.

Seems to be either 1954, 1960 or 1965 according to the calendar format.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2020 04:03PM by V.

Date: September 08, 2020 07:25PM

When the Falls Church, "State" Theatre was renovated and reopened for live concerts a few decades ago, I really got a kick out of listening to the live bands and their music from the upper deck.

On the other hand, the old Fairfax Theatre upper deck, was closed, due physical security concerns (Engineers thought it might collapse) , before the place closed down permanently in the 1970's. The upper deck was open for a few decades, in the early existence of the theatre (1947) - 1960?.

These are some of the "flicks" I saw, at the Fairfax Theater (not to be confused with the Fairfax Circle Theater, which came later with Wide Screen technology and "Sensurround", and many seats) , over the many years before it closed. It was, the old theater, converted to a Toyata Dealer and parts supply facility.

The Movie ratings used from 1968 to 1970 were:

Rated G: Suggested for general audiences.
Rated M: Suggested for mature audiences - Parental discretion advised.
Rated R: Restricted – persons under 16 not admitted, unless accompanied by parent or adult guardian.
Rated X: Persons under 16 not admitted.

For some movies, I had cross my fingers to get in past the ticket seller/taker-usher due to the rating. Also, some of these movies were recirculated at the small theaters, long after their initial release.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - 1954 - Starring - Kirk Douglas, James Mason.
Seven Voyages of Sinbad - 1958 - Starring - Richard Eyer, Kerwin Mathews, Torin Thatcher, Kathryn Grant
Journey to the Center of the Earth - 1959 - Starring - James Mason, Pat Boone, Arlene Dahl
The Time Machine - 1960 - Starring - Rod Taylor, Alan Young, Yvette Mimieux
Jack the Giant Killer - 1962 - Starring - Kerwin Mathews, Judi Meredith, Torin Thatcher
Jason and the Argonauts - 1963 - Starring - Todd Armstrong, Nancy Kovack, Gary Raymond
The Great Escape - 1963 - Starring - Steve McQueen, James Garner, Richard Attenborough
The Endless Summer - 1965 - Starring - Robert August, Michael Hynson, Lord James Blears
Von Ryan's Express - 1965 - Starring - Frank Sinatra, Trevor Howard, Raffaella Carrà
Fahrenheit 451 - 1966 - Starring - Oskar Werner, Julie Christie, Cyril Cusack
Fantastic Voyage - 1966 - Starring - Stephen Boyd, Raquel Welch, Edmond O'Brien
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - 1966 - Starring - Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, Lee Van Cleef
One Million Years B.C. - 1966 - Starring - Raquel Welch, John Richardson, Percy Herbert
The Fearless Vampire Killers - 1967 - Starring - Jack MacGowran, Roman Polanski, Alfie Bass
Bonny and Clyde - 1967 - Starring - Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, Michael J. Pollard
In the Heat of the Night - 1967 - Starring - Sidney Poitier, Rod Steiger, Warren Oates
2001 Space Odyssey - 1968 - Starring - Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, William Sylvester
Bullitt - 1968 - Starring - Steve McQueen, Jacqueline Bisset, Robert Vaughn
Castle Keep - 1969 - Starring - Burt Lancaster, Patrick O'Neal, Jean-Pierre Aumon
True Grit - 1969 - Starring - John Wayne, Kim Darby, Glen Campbell
The Dunwich Horror - 1970 - Starring - Sandra Dee, Dean Stockwell, Ed Begley
Catch 22 - 1970 - Starring - Alan Arkin, Martin Balsam, Richard Benjamin
The Beguiled - 1971 - Starring - Clint Eastwood, Geraldine Page, Elizabeth Hartman
Summer of 42 -1971 - Starring - Jennifer O'Neill, Gary Grimes, Jerry Houser
Harold and Maud - 1971 - Starring - Ruth Gordon, Bud Cort, Vivian Pickles
The Andromeda Strain - 1971 - Starring - James Olson, Arthur Hill, David Wayne
Dirty Harry - 1971 - Starring - Clint Eastwood, Andrew Robinson, Harry Guardino (A shout out to you DJAX - Another movie GEM I almost forgot about! it, have it on DVD)
The ?mega Man (1971) - Starring - Charlton Heston, Anthony Zerbe, Rosalind Cash
The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid - 1972 - Starring - Cliff Robertson, Robert Duvall, Luke Askew
The Poseidon Adventure -1972 - Starring - Gene Hackman, Ernest Borgnine, Shelley Winters
Soylent Green - 1973 - Starring - Charlton Heston, Edward G. Robinson, Leigh Taylor-Young
Papillon - 1973 - Starring - Steve McQueen, Dustin Hoffman, Victor Jory

Well . . . I could go on, but some folks in this forum don't like to see, or care for, "CONTEXT", provided with the images.

Cheers!

Oops, I've edited this post because I forgot to list "Planet of The Apes - 1968", as a movie saw as well. Wife and I were talking, and it came to my memory. Yep.

Last Edit today ... 09/09/2020. Too much effort for no reward . . . I'm sure some folks are happy now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2020 07:30PM by damien.
Attachments:
Fairfax_Theater_1.jpg
Fairfax_Theater_2.jpg

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: September 08, 2020 08:26PM

Interesting read Damien. Fairfax Theatre was still around when I started going to the movies, but it had gotten a reputation as being old.

This site gives the opening date for the Lee Highway Drive in as 1954. http://www.driveins.org/va-merrifield-leehighway.htm

Date: September 08, 2020 08:43PM

About 1975 the Fairfax Theater became - The Northern Virginia Rock Centre. Around 1980 it became an auction house that sold off junk odds and ends.

Posted by: All I Can Say People... ()
Date: September 08, 2020 09:00PM

Is that when the Fairfax Theater showed midnight movies 45 some years ago that balcony had bottles of wine, beer cans whisky bottles and the pungent smell of weed wafted from it as it was filled with long hairs who like me found self respect and today are solid President Trump supporters DAJAX .

OK who threw the bottle threw the screen at Dirty Harry ? Democrat Gun grabbers ! Don't blame me I voted for Nixon !

First a late breakfast grease job at the Super 29 or Bobs Diner before hitting the sauce

Date: September 09, 2020 12:29AM

Thanks for your input Bill.N. ().

Regarding the Old Fairfax Theatre:

Fairfax Theatre
10461 Lee Highway, Fairfax, VA 22030

I believe you are confusing the original Fairfax Theater, which was a "INDOOR" , single screen theater, which opened in December 1947, as shown in the photos, I provided.. The theater closed its doors in the 1970’s.

My photos which I got from the internet, show folks seated in the theater and purchasing tickets outside the theater, not a Drive-In theater. I knew the place by car (father drove me there) and bye bicycle. and most of the movies I saw there.

It became a renovated building and occupied by a Toyota car dealership and parts department supplier. I know, I bought a side trim panel replacement for my 1986 Toyota Corolla there, for a outrageous and ridiculous price.

Your reference mentions a "DRIVE IN THEATER", and gives the opening date for the Lee Highway Drive-in as 1954. http://www.driveins.org/va-merrifield-leehighway.htm

I actually saw a double feature in my car with a you lady - date - It was The Wild Bunch - 1969 (one of the best western movies of all time) and the movie Friends - 1972 (Soundtrack by Elton John - a disgusting movie) in Merrifield, NOT AT THE FAIRFAX THEATRE.

Here is a link to that site and the renovated and occupied car dealership.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/21916#:~:text=10461%20Lee%20Highway%2C,Fairfax%2C%20VA%2022030&text=Located%20on%20Lee%20Highway%20in,its%20doors%20in%20the%201970%27s.

I have not driven past this location in over 20 years, so the building might not be occupied or by someone else or it is demolished.

Cheeers.

Pages: PreviousFirst...128129130131132133134135136137138...LastNext
Current Page: 133 of 145

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.