HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 145
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: fxcograd ()
Date: February 11, 2017 06:08PM

David in FC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not specifically Fairfax County, but it does
> include it.
> I thought this was interesting.
> Less than a year after the official repeal of
> Prohibition.

Bacardi for 3.50 a fifth , yes please , just keep putting it in the trunk of my car over there till you run out.


I was looking for a Virginia Gentleman or a Bowman brand on the list but can't identify one. I am still a fan of the Bowman brands even if they aren't in Reston anymore.

That's interesting that wines are also listed, what year could wines be sold at Safeway (Giant, A&P etc)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 12, 2017 07:05AM

.
Attachments:
10942526_10202784565209848_849978476839396078_n.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: causeican ()
Date: February 12, 2017 08:23AM

David in FC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > David, Thank you for the contributions.
>
>
> Sleepy Holla, Thank You for all the things that
> you and so many others have contributed to this
> thread.
> I wish that I could have known about this thread
> back when it started.
> I only found it a few weeks ago, and went back and
> started reading all the posts from page 1.
> There were so many posts that I wanted to make a
> comment on, but knew that they were things that
> were posted 3 and 4 years ago, so any new comment
> from me would have not meant a thing.
> Hopefully my new little contributions will help.

David, new comments to old pictures happen all the time. Just quote the post you are commenting on so that the reader knows what you’re talking about. I think any comment you have on the way it was and what you remember would be welcome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: causeican ()
Date: February 12, 2017 08:32AM

Oakton Kid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who is old enough to remember fording difficult
> run on Lawyers road? It was impassable during
> heavy rain but there was a way around it somehow,
> a bridge on Vale road or something. I was just a
> kid but remember my Dad driving through the water
> as long as it was just a few inches deep.


Great picture and story Oakton Kid. Is that a picture of Vale or Lawyers? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 12, 2017 08:35AM

causeican Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> David in FC Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > David, Thank you for the contributions.
> >
> >
> > Sleepy Holla, Thank You for all the things that
> > you and so many others have contributed to this
> > thread.
> > I wish that I could have known about this
> thread
> > back when it started.
> > I only found it a few weeks ago, and went back
> and
> > started reading all the posts from page 1.
> > There were so many posts that I wanted to make
> a
> > comment on, but knew that they were things that
> > were posted 3 and 4 years ago, so any new
> comment
> > from me would have not meant a thing.
> > Hopefully my new little contributions will
> help.
>
> David, new comments to old pictures happen all the
> time. Just quote the post you are commenting on
> so that the reader knows what you’re talking
> about. I think any comment you have on the way it
> was and what you remember would be welcome.


Yeah, I agree with causeican. Some of the best information about our local history comes out that way, and don't be afraid to re-post the picture you are talking about too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Kingsarms ()
Date: February 12, 2017 11:10PM

Found a copy of a Tops Drive In menu. Given the lack of a paper fold mark, I suspect this might have been one of the menu sheets they used/posted on the old teletray drive in stations?

Get the Sir Lioner for just 65 cents, a milkshake for 35 cents, a Colonel Sanders KFC dinner for $1.30, or a KFC chicken bucket for $4.60.

In the lower right-hand corner, a small note mentions that Tops is a division of Gino's Inc. Tops became a Gino's division in 1967, so the menu is likely from the late 1960s.

Also, here's a link to YouTube video of an in-studio Tops TV commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47k-7Nafjig

The commercial is not dated but looks to be late 1950s or early 1960s.

I remember going to the Tops on Lee Highway and George Mason Drive in Arlington (photo a few pages back) as a kid. As mentioned earlier, the Tops locations eventually became Ginos and then most of them became Roy Rogers after Marriott purchased Ginos.

In 2012, Arlington Now published a brief history on Tops at:

https://www.arlnow.com/2012/05/09/then-and-now-tops-drive-inn-on-glebe-road/

It's interesting to recall when Colonel Sanders just licensed the KFC franchises to existing restaurants like Tops.
Attachments:
TopsMenu.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 13, 2017 05:39PM

Falls Church
Date unknown. Was that the police station?
Attachments:
FCFC6176421_n.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: David in FC ()
Date: February 13, 2017 06:36PM

Fran Conia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Falls Church
> Date unknown. Was that the police station?


No, that was, and still is Falls Church Florist on the left side ground floor of the building, and a hotel above and on the right side, above the little tunnel. The building is still there on Broad Street.
The police station has been inside the city hall building for as long as I can remember.
Attachments:
FC Florist.JPG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: David in FC ()
Date: February 13, 2017 06:43PM

Falls Church Police Station in 1939 (I wasn't around in '39, so I don't remember this location)



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 06:46PM by David in FC.
Attachments:
Falls Church Police Dept. 1939.JPG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Great Old Menu ()
Date: February 13, 2017 08:14PM

>Found a copy of a Tops Drive In menu

If Only Tops was still round..and these prices were the same..It would be a Gluttonous time..!!LOL

DAJAX Must be what its like to be a millionaire today..Natch!! Well actually.. a multi millionaire!!LOL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: David in FC ()
Date: February 14, 2017 09:08AM

fxcograd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> David in FC Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Not specifically Fairfax County, but it does
> > include it.
> > I thought this was interesting.
> > Less than a year after the official repeal of
> > Prohibition.
>
>
> I was looking for a Virginia Gentleman or a Bowman
> brand on the list but can't identify one. I am
> still a fan of the Bowman brands even if they
> aren't in Reston anymore.
>


The distillery was "established" on the day after prohibition was repealed, and according to wikipedia, (and we all know they are the final say-so on everything - lol) "The first bourbon produced by the distillery was shipped from the warehouse in 1937."
So, it was aged about 4 years. Not too bad for some local stuff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Geezer Dog ()
Date: February 14, 2017 07:51PM

The Bowman Distillery never got along with Reston.

The bottles always read "Sunset Hills, Fairfax County, Virginia"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Postman ()
Date: February 14, 2017 09:04PM

Geezer Dog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The bottles always read "Sunset Hills, Fairfax
> County, Virginia"

Because Reston didn't exist in 1937.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Kingsarms ()
Date: February 14, 2017 10:08PM

Good discussion on the Bowman Distillery and Virginia Gentleman Whiskey. My grandfather sold real estate near Sunset Hills and Reston in the mid/late 1960s. On weekends I would often ride along with him to visit different properties and, if we had extra time, get some fishing in on one or another of the farm ponds in that area.

Here is a photo of the "new" Bowman distillery building and neighboring bonded warehoused taken in 1966. You can see the old W&OD railroad line (now the bike trail). The addition of the new distillery building gave the plant a capacity of over 12,000 50 gallon barrels of whiskey each year. The bonded warehouses could store over 1 million gallons.

The second photo is an aerial view of Sunset Hills, also taken in 1966. You can see the distillery in the center left and more of the bonded warehouses. I believe that the building to the left of the distillery was the main office for the Bowman company.

If I remember correctly, the Virginia Gentleman whiskey was 80 proof and the sister brand, Fairfax County Bourbon, was 100 proof. Looking at A. Smith Bowman's current website, it doesn't look like they make the Fairfax County Bourbon today. They do have several other brands including a few vodkas.

Photos were found in the online GMU Library collection.
Attachments:
Bowman_Distillery_1966.jpg
Sunset Hills_Aerial_1966.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: David in FC ()
Date: February 15, 2017 01:29AM

Kingsarms Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I remember correctly, the Virginia Gentleman whiskey was 80 proof and the sister brand, Fairfax County Bourbon, was 100 proof. Looking at A. Smith Bowman's current website, it doesn't look like they make the Fairfax County Bourbon today.

I don't think they've made Fairfax County Bourbon since the move to Fredericksburg, for obvious reasons.
But I thought that a photo of some old dusty/crusty bottles might add to the thread.
Sorry for the mangled label on the Fairfax County bottle. It kind of floated around in a cooler full of ice water many years ago, so it's not in the best condition for presentation.
The VA Gentleman bottle still has the old Tax Stamp label on the top, but the Ffx Co one mostly washed away in the cooler, 35 years ago or so.
Attachments:
Virginia Gentleman and Fairfax County Bourbon bottles.JPG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: blanche ()
Date: February 15, 2017 06:31AM

My father worked on building some of the first homes in Reston. He would drive us to job sites on Sunday afternoons.

Another one of my earliest memories was waiting for a W&OD train at the tracks by the distillery and thinking "this is a long way to drive for work."

Which reminds me, does anyone have a picture of the one lane bridge on Leigh Mill Road? A Virginia Concrete truck took out the old one late 60s, early 70s.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: February 15, 2017 11:54AM

Kingsarms Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good discussion on the Bowman Distillery and
> Virginia Gentleman Whiskey. My grandfather sold
> real estate near Sunset Hills and Reston in the
> mid/late 1960s. On weekends I would often ride
> along with him to visit different properties and,
> if we had extra time, get some fishing in on one
> or another of the farm ponds in that area.
>
> Here is a photo of the "new" Bowman distillery
> building and neighboring bonded warehoused taken
> in 1966. You can see the old W&OD railroad line
> (now the bike trail). The addition of the new
> distillery building gave the plant a capacity of
> over 12,000 50 gallon barrels of whiskey each
> year. The bonded warehouses could store over 1
> million gallons.
>
> The second photo is an aerial view of Sunset
> Hills, also taken in 1966. You can see the
> distillery in the center left and more of the
> bonded warehouses. I believe that the building to
> the left of the distillery was the main office for
> the Bowman company.
>
> If I remember correctly, the Virginia Gentleman
> whiskey was 80 proof and the sister brand, Fairfax
> County Bourbon, was 100 proof. Looking at A.
> Smith Bowman's current website, it doesn't look
> like they make the Fairfax County Bourbon today.
> They do have several other brands including a few
> vodkas.
>
> Photos were found in the online GMU Library
> collection.


Can you please post the URL from that GMU Library collection? Thank you :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Kingsarms ()
Date: February 15, 2017 11:40PM

Joke Insurance wrote - Can you please post the URL from that GMU Library collection?



Sure here's the link: http://mars.gmu.edu/handle/1920/505

Great collection of some 1200 photos and documents. In addition to the Sunset Hills / Bowman photos, there are many photos of Reston in the 1960s and 1970s. Even a couple of Tysons Corner when it was just a country crossroads. Good stuff!

_____________________________________

Blanch wrote - Another one of my earliest memories was waiting for a W&OD train at the tracks by the distillery and thinking "this is a long way to drive for work."


In the same collection, I found this photo of a W&OD train heading eastbound at Sunset Hills - so traveling from Herndon towards Falls Church. It's not dated but looks to be in the 60s. The gazebo on the right is, I believe, on the grounds of the old Wiehle mansion.

When did the W&OD cease operations?
Attachments:
W&OD_Sunset_Hills3.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Kingsarms ()
Date: February 15, 2017 11:52PM

David in FC - Good photo of the whiskey bottles. Those are the ones I remember.

I noticed that the Virginia Gentleman bottle had the 22090 zip code on the label while the Fairfax County Bourbon bottle does not. I wonder if the Fairfax County Bourbon bottle is older?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: David in FC ()
Date: February 16, 2017 02:38AM

Kingsarms Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> David in FC - Good photo of the whiskey bottles.
> Those are the ones I remember.
>
> I noticed that the Virginia Gentleman bottle had
> the 22090 zip code on the label while the Fairfax
> County Bourbon bottle does not. I wonder if the
> Fairfax County Bourbon bottle is older?

Thanks. The Fairfax County one is from 1982, and the VA Gentleman one is probably from the last year they made them here, so I would say 1988. I think I saved that one simply because it did say that it was made in Fairfax Co. and all the newer ones said Fredericksburg.

As for the W&OD railroad:
April 1941 - Passenger service is discontinued but starts up again a year later as result of World War II. All passenger service is ended May 31, 1951.
August 27, 1968 - W&OD freight service ends and the line is abandoned. Virginia Electric and Power Company (Virginia Power) immediately buys the property to protect its existing easements and for future expansion.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 08:41AM by David in FC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: David in FC ()
Date: February 16, 2017 03:12PM

blanche Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My father worked on building some of the first
> homes in Reston. He would drive us to job sites
> on Sunday afternoons.
>
> Another one of my earliest memories was waiting
> for a W&OD train at the tracks by the distillery
> and thinking "this is a long way to drive for
> work."
>
> Which reminds me, does anyone have a picture of
> the one lane bridge on Leigh Mill Road? A
> Virginia Concrete truck took out the old one late
> 60s, early 70s.


I used to visit one of my sisters that lived in Sterling Park about 1/4 mile from the W&OD bike trail. On the way home again I used to cross over the trail, and always wanted to just turn onto it and head home that way, since it was the most direct route.
I remember reading a few years ago about a woman that did just that. She got on the trail in Reston, and drove down the trail, causing a few people on bikes off the path before she ran them over. She was finally stopped on the west side of Vienna, if I remember correctly.

For the Leigh Mill Rd. bridge, I know the bridge that you are talking about, but all I can find are some old fuzzy aerial photos. I know those wouldn't help. But if I find one, I'll post it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: February 16, 2017 03:27PM

I wish that railbanking existed in the 1960's. The W&OD could have been saved for a future commuter rail or light rail route.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Geezer Dog ()
Date: February 16, 2017 04:04PM

Postman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Geezer Dog Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The bottles always read "Sunset Hills, Fairfax
> > County, Virginia"
>
> Because Reston didn't exist in 1937.

No Postman.. Bowmans did not get along with Reston. The new Restonites complained about the smell and blamed all types of things on the distillery.

If you look at the picture of the bottles, The Virginia Gentleman bottle still says Sunset Hills, Fairfax County but has the Reston ZIP code after it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Transportation Foresight ()
Date: February 16, 2017 06:01PM

Joke Insurance... NoVa is not known for transportation foresight. I wish somebody would have made the small investment and saved the W&OD for trains. We sure could appreciate less folks on the roads.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: RR Crossing ()
Date: February 16, 2017 06:32PM

Transportation Foresight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joke Insurance... NoVa is not known for
> transportation foresight. I wish somebody would
> have made the small investment and saved the W&OD
> for trains. We sure could appreciate less folks
> on the roads.

Can the trail be taken back?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Transportation Foresight ()
Date: February 16, 2017 08:18PM

Highly unlikely... Much of the right of way has been reclaimed inside the beltway and I can hear all the howling from the bicyclists and and neighbors now. Big missed opportunity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Kingsarms ()
Date: February 16, 2017 11:52PM

Here's another view of the railway intersection in Sunset Hills. This one looks to be from the same general timeframe as the picture of the W&OD locomotive.


Note: Photo was posted originally in 2013 on page 4. Figured that was long enough ago to repost. Besides, it does fit in very well with this discussion.
Attachments:
SunsetHills.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: MAndersen ()
Date: February 17, 2017 09:36AM

Miss the restaurant, they had great breakfasts!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 17, 2017 11:59AM

MAndersen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Miss the restaurant, they had great breakfasts!!!!


????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 17, 2017 12:03PM

Transportation Foresight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joke Insurance... NoVa is not known for
> transportation foresight. I wish somebody would
> have made the small investment and saved the W&OD
> for trains. We sure could appreciate less folks
> on the roads.

The problem the W&OD had was that others wanted to use the right of way for other purposes. It was probably possible for the W&OD to coexist with VEPCo on the same right of way, but the killer was that VDH wanted some of the right of way inside the beltway for I-66 construction. Also remember the effort to kill the W&OD began about the same time as DC was killing off its trolley system. Highways for cars, trucks and buses were the wave of the future then, and railroads were considered a relic of the past.

Of course the other part of the story is that the C&O wanted to sell the line. They had bought it anticipating traffic from a planned power plant in Loudoun County. C&O was big into moving coal. When the plant was constructed in Maryland instead, the W&OD was just another low volume branch line. Sure it was still making money, but the C&O could recoup their investment many times over by selling to VDH and VEPCo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: February 17, 2017 04:54PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Transportation Foresight Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Joke Insurance... NoVa is not known for
> > transportation foresight. I wish somebody
> would
> > have made the small investment and saved the
> W&OD
> > for trains. We sure could appreciate less
> folks
> > on the roads.
>
> The problem the W&OD had was that others wanted to
> use the right of way for other purposes. It was
> probably possible for the W&OD to coexist with
> VEPCo on the same right of way, but the killer was
> that VDH wanted some of the right of way inside
> the beltway for I-66 construction. Also remember
> the effort to kill the W&OD began about the same
> time as DC was killing off its trolley system.
> Highways for cars, trucks and buses were the wave
> of the future then, and railroads were considered
> a relic of the past.
>
> Of course the other part of the story is that the
> C&O wanted to sell the line. They had bought it
> anticipating traffic from a planned power plant in
> Loudoun County. C&O was big into moving coal.
> When the plant was constructed in Maryland
> instead, the W&OD was just another low volume
> branch line. Sure it was still making money, but
> the C&O could recoup their investment many times
> over by selling to VDH and VEPCo.


That power station, did it become the Dickerson Generating Station?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 17, 2017 06:06PM

I believe so.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Temporary Road ()
Date: February 17, 2017 06:07PM

Kingsarms Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's another view of the railway intersection in
> Sunset Hills. This one looks to be from the same
> general timeframe as the picture of the W&OD
> locomotive.
>
>
> Note: Photo was posted originally in 2013 on page
> 4. Figured that was long enough ago to repost.
> Besides, it does fit in very well with this
> discussion.

There use to be a 7-11 and auto shop adjacent. Also, long gone by now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: February 17, 2017 10:12PM

I once saw a photo of the former railroad alignments from Clifton to Springfield. If anyone knows the photo (or website) that I can talking about, can you please post it?

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Kingsarms ()
Date: February 18, 2017 12:28AM

Joke Insurance asked: I once saw a photo of the former railroad alignments from Clifton to Springfield. If anyone knows the photo (or website) that I can talking about, can you please post it?

____________________________________

It doesn't have all of the railroad lines but this map of the NOVA trolley lines does include the W&OD.

The W&OD line is shown in light green. Notice the major connection point at Bluemont Junction (roughly in the area of today's Bluemont Park in Arlington). The line split here and trains could:

1) Continue to the southeast roughly along Four Mile Run past Shirlington, into Alexandria, and connecting to the old Potomac RR Yard beside Route 1.


2) Head northeast to Thrifton Junction (near Cherrydale) where they joined the Great Falls Railway and continued into Rosslyn. Before Key Bridge was built, the W&OD passenger cars would continue across the old Aqueduct Bridge and into Georgetown.


The Great Falls Line (eventually the Great Falls Branch of the W&OD) is shown in dark green. It followed what is now Old Dominion Drive through McLean and out to Great Falls. Because it was built for railroad use, today's Old Dominion Drive is relatively straight with gentle uphill grades - particularly compared to Georgetown Pike.

The Fairfax Line is shown in blue. It ran from Fairfax through Oakton and Vienna and into Falls Church. In the Vienna/Dunn Loring area, it followed what is now Electric Avenue. In Arlington, it followed today's Fairfax Drive into Clarendon and continued to Rosslyn. It also had a branch line that connected to the old Long (RR) Bridge across the Potomac and into DC.

The Mount Vernon line is shown in orange. It ran through Alexandria and then along todays GW Parkway to Mount Vernon.

Both the Fairfax and Mount Vernon lines were primarily trolley service which ended pretty early in the 1900s.

Here's a link to more details about the lines:

http://www.wikivisually.com/wiki/Northern_Virginia_trolleys
Attachments:
NOVA_Trolley_Lines.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 18, 2017 06:26AM

More Falls Church love.
Attachments:
falls church love.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Pearl S. Buck ()
Date: February 18, 2017 10:11AM

Fran Conia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More Falls Church love.


I see The Good Earth is featured on the side of the wall, and the Falls Church School of Dance was still in business.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 18, 2017 10:52AM

Fran Conia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More Falls Church love.

Very Cool Fran...THANKS!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 18, 2017 11:47AM

I cant remember if this one was posted before or not, I'm getting old so please forgive me if it's a re-post.

Leesburg Pike Plaza Shopping Center at Baileys Crossroads around 1972. It was taken from the Parking Lot near the intersection of S.Jefferson St. and Leesburg Pike Rt.7.
Many thanks to Ron Derrickson for sharing it with us.
Attachments:
leesburg pike sc.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: David in FC ()
Date: February 18, 2017 11:51AM

Fran Conia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More Falls Church love.

Thanks for the photo Fran. I haven't seen that one before. I thought that the building on the corner was older than that, but I guess not.
Hmmm, I wonder if I rode through that intersection about that time. But if I did, I wouldn't have been able to see anything, since I was still "in the oven".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: David in FC ()
Date: February 18, 2017 12:03PM

Fran Conia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I cant remember if this one was posted before or
> not, I'm getting old so please forgive me if it's
> a re-post.
>
> Leesburg Pike Plaza Shopping Center at Baileys
> Crossroads around 1972. It was taken from the
> Parking Lot near the intersection of S.Jefferson
> St. and Leesburg Pike Rt.7.
> Many thanks to Ron Derrickson for sharing it with
> us.

Nope, that's a new one on me. Thanks again for your many contributions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 18, 2017 12:26PM

David in FC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fran Conia Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I cant remember if this one was posted before
> or
> > not, I'm getting old so please forgive me if
> it's
> > a re-post.
> >
> > Leesburg Pike Plaza Shopping Center at Baileys
> > Crossroads around 1972. It was taken from the
> > Parking Lot near the intersection of
> S.Jefferson
> > St. and Leesburg Pike Rt.7.
> > Many thanks to Ron Derrickson for sharing it
> with
> > us.
>
> Nope, that's a new one on me. Thanks again for
> your many contributions.


No problem man, thanks for your contributions too!

Do you know what that high roof sort of in the middle of Leesburg pike plaza housed? I was wondering if it was maybe a movie theatre? Or maybe just a separate building behind the shopping center.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Kingsarms ()
Date: February 18, 2017 11:27PM

Fran Conia Wrote:

> Do you know what that high roof sort of in the
> middle of Leesburg pike plaza housed? I was
> wondering if it was maybe a movie theatre? Or
> maybe just a separate building behind the shopping
> center.


It was a movie theater - named "Cinema 7". Originally, it was a single screen with a large and very nice auditorium. The original screen was quite large. Eventually it became a multiplex with at least two screens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Arlington dog ()
Date: February 19, 2017 01:57AM

Virginia Square Shopping Center on Fairfax Drive. Not sure of the date.
Attachments:
va square.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 19, 2017 10:06AM

I love this one...any random guesses? In Falls Church area.
Attachments:
hardware1.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fairfax Rebels ()
Date: February 19, 2017 11:05AM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love this one...any random guesses? In Falls
> Church area.


Love the Confederate Flag vase in the right side of the photo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 19, 2017 11:17AM

Fairfax Rebels Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I love this one...any random guesses? In Falls
> > Church area.
>
>
> Love the Confederate Flag vase in the right side
> of the photo.

Ummm, That's an X

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 19, 2017 12:44PM

Another Yearbook ad. I used to buy my hot-wheels cars here.
Attachments:
ben franklin9_n.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: jeffs345 ()
Date: February 19, 2017 01:35PM

Alabama state flag

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: causeican ()
Date: February 19, 2017 03:12PM

blanche Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My father worked on building some of the first
> homes in Reston. He would drive us to job sites
> on Sunday afternoons.
>
> Another one of my earliest memories was waiting
> for a W&OD train at the tracks by the distillery
> and thinking "this is a long way to drive for
> work."
>
> Which reminds me, does anyone have a picture of
> the one lane bridge on Leigh Mill Road? A
> Virginia Concrete truck took out the old one late
> 60s, early 70s.
Attachments:
leigh mill rd.png

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: causeican ()
Date: February 19, 2017 09:37PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Kingsarms ()
Date: February 19, 2017 10:29PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love this one...any random guesses? In Falls
> Church area.


Hi Sleepy, great photo. Is that the old Graham Road Hardware store (Graham Road at Route 50 across from Loehmanns Plaza)? I remember that store having the front door set a 45 degree angle similar to the photo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 20, 2017 12:23PM

Great Guess...You are right. It is now this....
Attachments:
IMG00383-20120319-1539.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: burke bratt ()
Date: February 20, 2017 01:43PM

causeican Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know where this house is/was?
> Unidentified at the Library of Virginia
> http://lva-linux-temp.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com:899
> 1/F/S5VC1G1K6Q5M66KS5DUHN7FM1YYMTYB2Q984KTGGCFS9J4
> 9K8U-33560?func=full-set-set&set_number=004426&set
> _entry=000186&format=999


Front side of Silas Burke house (the rear of the house faces burke lake road)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 20, 2017 03:32PM

Hunter station near the hunter mill, Oakton.
Attachments:
hunter22.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Robinson class of 79 ()
Date: February 20, 2017 04:01PM

Who remembers the 1979 Presidents day snow storm that hit the DC area? I am pretty sure we got out of school the whole week it was just about 2 feet of snow!

Happy presidents day and thanks for all these old pictures.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Class of 1999 ()
Date: February 20, 2017 04:37PM

Robinson class of 79 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who remembers the 1979 Presidents day snow storm
> that hit the DC area? I am pretty sure we got out
> of school the whole week it was just about 2 feet
> of snow!
>
> Happy presidents day and thanks for all these old
> pictures.


and the President's Day snow storm in 2003 was a good memory - Trapped all week with my neighbor's 17 year old daughter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 20, 2017 04:39PM

Mike Lester gave us this from 73
Attachments:
cav vw_n.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 20, 2017 04:53PM

Okay, last one for today. I got the day off today but have been on line too much, lol.
You got to love the few pictures we get from color slides, slides were the HD of our youth.
Attachments:
parkington.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 20, 2017 05:43PM

Fran Conia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, last one for today. I got the day off today
> but have been on line too much, lol.
> You got to love the few pictures we get from color
> slides, slides were the HD of our youth.


Thank you so much for this one FRAN! I have been wanting a good Parkington/Putt-Putt shot. Many Thanks! Now find me a shot of the Putt-Putt that was next to Bob's Diner in FFX Circle :) I think it went under @ 1967.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: blanche ()
Date: February 20, 2017 06:22PM

causeican Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> blanche Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > My father worked on building some of the first
> > homes in Reston. He would drive us to job
> sites
> > on Sunday afternoons.
> >
> > Another one of my earliest memories was waiting
> > for a W&OD train at the tracks by the
> distillery
> > and thinking "this is a long way to drive for
> > work."
> >
> > Which reminds me, does anyone have a picture of
> > the one lane bridge on Leigh Mill Road? A
> > Virginia Concrete truck took out the old one
> late
> > 60s, early 70s.

That is the replacement bridge but thanks for trying! The old one was a box truss bridge, the VA Concrete truck was too tall for the superstructure!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Shootin Craps ()
Date: February 20, 2017 11:07PM

Great Guess...You are right. It is now this....

Repost Black Angus Graham Rd Shopping Center. As I recall it was Tom Thumb raceway before the Angus.
Attachments:
blackangus.JPG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: rob ()
Date: February 21, 2017 05:31AM

what year is this you think?
Attachments:
tob.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: February 21, 2017 07:21AM

Robinson class of 79 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who remembers the 1979 Presidents day snow storm
> that hit the DC area? I am pretty sure we got out
> of school the whole week it was just about 2 feet
> of snow!
>
> Happy presidents day and thanks for all these old
> pictures.


I remember it. I was in 4th grade

It took me an hour to walk to my friend's house up the street.

That was the first blizzard I had really experienced.

I think the storm in Jan. 1996 was bigger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Query ()
Date: February 21, 2017 08:32AM

rob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what year is this you think?


1957/1958?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 21, 2017 10:45AM

1958 or 1959 The car on the left front is a 1958 Oldsmobile...front rt looks like a 57 Ford...back rt could be a 59 ? hard to tell...back left is a 56/57 Buick I believe. Great Photo..where was Robertson's?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: photographer2 ()
Date: February 21, 2017 12:07PM

Fran Conia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, last one for today. I got the day off today
> but have been on line too much, lol.
> You got to love the few pictures we get from color
> slides, slides were the HD of our youth.

Yes, good color slide film from kodak or 3m in a nice 35 mm slr camera like nikon or canon or minolta provided very high quality pictures compared to negatives. Old slides can be digitally enhanced today as well. I wish I had used it more back in the day. Mclanahan camera out in warrenton can work wonders with old negatives and slides. That pic looks like it was shot in bright daylight with a fast shutter speed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Hi Gear ()
Date: February 21, 2017 12:52PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1958 or 1959 The car on the left front is a 1958
> Oldsmobile...front rt looks like a 57 Ford...back
> rt could be a 59 ? hard to tell...back left is a
> 56/57 Buick I believe. Great Photo..where was
> Robertson's?


Between Drug Fair and Super Giant in Fairfax City at the intersection of 29 211 and 50

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 21, 2017 02:35PM

Thanks! When did it go out of business? I don't recall it being around.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: vintage classic ()
Date: February 21, 2017 02:39PM

rob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what year is this you think?


I don't know the year, but man, dig the chrome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Hi Gear ()
Date: February 21, 2017 02:42PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks! When did it go out of business? I don't
> recall it being around.


The early 1980's if I am not mistaken.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 21, 2017 02:50PM

Hi Gear Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks! When did it go out of business? I don't
> > recall it being around.
>
>
> The early 1980's if I am not mistaken.


Thanks, Weird i don't remember that...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Old coot ()
Date: February 21, 2017 07:27PM

>
> Thanks, Weird i don't remember that...


Funny how your mind plays tricks on you. I always thought it was spelled 'Merrifield' because of the way it sounded growing up, but it was actually spelled 'Mosaic District'. Huh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Hi Gear ()
Date: February 21, 2017 07:42PM

Old coot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Thanks, Weird i don't remember that...
>
>
> Funny how your mind plays tricks on you. I always
> thought it was spelled 'Merrifield' because of the
> way it sounded growing up, but it was actually
> spelled 'Mosaic District'. Huh.


Regardless what they call it - It is still "Beautiful Downtown Merrifield"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 21, 2017 07:55PM

Supposed to be a picture from Parkington. Hechts had a pet store??
Attachments:
wow.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 21, 2017 08:00PM

Lee highway Topps. Has this been posted before?
Attachments:
tops.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 21, 2017 08:08PM

More Arlington love.

Lee-Harrison shopping center but when?
Attachments:
kroger.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Reston Geese Fan ()
Date: February 21, 2017 08:17PM

I remember jogging on the W&OD Trail at night in Reston in the mid 1980s. The Bowman Distillery was still running, and was protected by a gaggle of geese.

As soon as I was within eyesight of these geese, they would start making noise, and by the time I was jogging past the distillery, they were hooping and hollering.

Sometimes, I'd see an employee come out to make sure things were okay. I just kept jogging.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: February 21, 2017 08:58PM

Kingsarms Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joke Insurance asked: I once saw a photo of the
> former railroad alignments from Clifton to
> Springfield. If anyone knows the photo (or
> website) that I can talking about, can you please
> post it?
>
> ____________________________________
>
> It doesn't have all of the railroad lines but this
> map of the NOVA trolley lines does include the
> W&OD.
>
> The W&OD line is shown in light green. Notice the
> major connection point at Bluemont Junction
> (roughly in the area of today's Bluemont Park in
> Arlington). The line split here and trains
> could:
>
> 1) Continue to the southeast roughly along Four
> Mile Run past Shirlington, into Alexandria, and
> connecting to the old Potomac RR Yard beside Route
> 1.
>
>
> 2) Head northeast to Thrifton Junction (near
> Cherrydale) where they joined the Great Falls
> Railway and continued into Rosslyn. Before Key
> Bridge was built, the W&OD passenger cars would
> continue across the old Aqueduct Bridge and into
> Georgetown.
>
>
> The Great Falls Line (eventually the Great Falls
> Branch of the W&OD) is shown in dark green. It
> followed what is now Old Dominion Drive through
> McLean and out to Great Falls. Because it was
> built for railroad use, today's Old Dominion Drive
> is relatively straight with gentle uphill grades -
> particularly compared to Georgetown Pike.
>
> The Fairfax Line is shown in blue. It ran from
> Fairfax through Oakton and Vienna and into Falls
> Church. In the Vienna/Dunn Loring area, it
> followed what is now Electric Avenue. In
> Arlington, it followed today's Fairfax Drive into
> Clarendon and continued to Rosslyn. It also had a
> branch line that connected to the old Long (RR)
> Bridge across the Potomac and into DC.
>
> The Mount Vernon line is shown in orange. It ran
> through Alexandria and then along todays GW
> Parkway to Mount Vernon.
>
> Both the Fairfax and Mount Vernon lines were
> primarily trolley service which ended pretty early
> in the 1900s.
>
> Here's a link to more details about the lines:
>
> http://www.wikivisually.com/wiki/Northern_Virginia
> _trolleys


I have seen this before. It's an awesome map.

The one that I'm looking for showed former alignments of the old Orange & Alexandria / Southern Railway.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Kingsarms ()
Date: February 21, 2017 11:06PM

Fran Conia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More Arlington love.
>
> Lee-Harrison shopping center but when?


Early 1960s based on the cars. The one in front looks like a '61 Impala. Nice fins all the way around. I've always thought it would be great to have a big "fin" car like that to drive to a Jimmy Buffet concert.

I didn't know that Kroger ever had a store in NOVA. Earliest I can remember was an A&P at that location. That shopping center also had a Baskin Robbins, a small Thai restaurant, and either a Drug Fair or a Peoples Drug.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Time Moves On ()
Date: February 21, 2017 11:17PM

Here's another view of the railway intersection in Sunset Hills

I remember that view of Reston..the Distillery..Sunset Hills very well. And Today I could not even tell you where that was up there..LOL

DAJAX

Options: ReplyQuote
­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: February 22, 2017 04:39AM

­



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 07:42PM by chuckhoffmann.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 22, 2017 10:18AM

Fran Conia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More Arlington love.
>
> Lee-Harrison shopping center but when?
Yes, Def 1961/62 Very cool Fran...I see a 59 Buick, 61 Impala (as was stated), 55 Chevy, 59 Dodge, 60 Ford, an MG or Triumph.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 22, 2017 10:20AM

Fran Conia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Supposed to be a picture from Parkington. Hechts
> had a pet store??


Also Cool...I remember in Parkington a number of small shops...this must have been one of them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 22, 2017 10:22AM

Fran Conia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lee highway Topps. Has this been posted before?

Don't think I've seen that one before..thanks again Fran. I love the "Tops" Cleaners sign in the background.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 22, 2017 03:23PM

chuckhoffmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> burke bratt Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > causeican Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Does anyone know where this house is/was?
> > > Unidentified at the Library of Virginia
> > >
> >
> http://lva-linux-temp.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com:899
>
> >
> > >
> >
> 1/F/S5VC1G1K6Q5M66KS5DUHN7FM1YYMTYB2Q984KTGGCFS9J4
>
> >
> > >
> >
> 9K8U-33560?func=full-set-set&set_number=004426&set
>
> >
> > > _entry=000186&format=999
> >
> >
> > Front side of Silas Burke house (the rear of
> the
> > house faces burke lake road)
>
> Are you sure? I looked at pictures of both sides
> of the house and none of them have the gable or
> third-floor dormers shown in the picture.

I agree Chuck...I looked at different views also...the side building seems to match but no dormers or gable. I looked at the VA site, it has about 7 or so "unidentified homes from Fairfax.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 22, 2017 04:56PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fran Conia Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Okay, last one for today. I got the day off
> today
> > but have been on line too much, lol.
> > You got to love the few pictures we get from
> color
> > slides, slides were the HD of our youth.
>
>
> Thank you so much for this one FRAN! I have been
> wanting a good Parkington/Putt-Putt shot. Many
> Thanks! Now find me a shot of the Putt-Putt that
> was next to Bob's Diner in FFX Circle :) I think
> it went under @ 1967.


Is this the same place Sleepy?
Attachments:
putt.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 22, 2017 05:04PM

Eric Dobson gave us this one, it is reportedly Cherrydale from 1981. I did not spend much time in Arlington in my youth except to go to a few football games at W&L high school.
Attachments:
Cherrydale81.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 22, 2017 05:15PM

This one must have been before my time. Any of you Falls church kids remember it? Date unknown.
Attachments:
fc motel.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 22, 2017 05:20PM

Fran Conia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Fran Conia Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Okay, last one for today. I got the day off
> > today
> > > but have been on line too much, lol.
> > > You got to love the few pictures we get from
> > color
> > > slides, slides were the HD of our youth.
> >
> >
> > Thank you so much for this one FRAN! I have
> been
> > wanting a good Parkington/Putt-Putt shot. Many
> > Thanks! Now find me a shot of the Putt-Putt
> that
> > was next to Bob's Diner in FFX Circle :) I
> think
> > it went under @ 1967.
>
>
> Is this the same place Sleepy?

That is Parkington also Fran. You can see the very cool Bob Peck Chevrolet in the background.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 22, 2017 05:21PM

Old coot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Thanks, Weird i don't remember that...
>
>
> Funny how your mind plays tricks on you. I always
> thought it was spelled 'Merrifield' because of the
> way it sounded growing up, but it was actually
> spelled 'Mosaic District'. Huh.


@old coot......EXCELLENT!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fran Conia ()
Date: February 22, 2017 08:18PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fran Conia Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Fran Conia Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Okay, last one for today. I got the day off
> > > today
> > > > but have been on line too much, lol.
> > > > You got to love the few pictures we get
> from
> > > color
> > > > slides, slides were the HD of our youth.
> > >
> > >
> > > Thank you so much for this one FRAN! I have
> > been
> > > wanting a good Parkington/Putt-Putt shot.
> Many
> > > Thanks! Now find me a shot of the Putt-Putt
> > that
> > > was next to Bob's Diner in FFX Circle :) I
> > think
> > > it went under @ 1967.
> >
> >
> > Is this the same place Sleepy?
>
> That is Parkington also Fran. You can see the very
> cool Bob Peck Chevrolet in the background.


Okay, thanks! I am sketchy on Arlington pic's because I rarely hung out there. The crowd I ran with was further south and west.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: len little ()
Date: February 22, 2017 09:10PM

A couple of things, First I have a new e-mail server, second before 1958 I lived at the intersection of Glebe Road and Rte. 50 in Arlington. There was a Tops on the corner opposite the apartments where I lived. I only ever ordered one thing, the Jim Dandy. YUM. Third while going to NVCC in the early 70's I worked for the college as a work study student, and one of my jobs was to do the Alkene and Alkane titrations for A. Smith Bowmans. They sent the college pint bottles of each first distillation, second distillations and final tapping before approval to sell. The testing took about 2 to 3 ounces. Guess what we had tons of??????

I am now approaching 70 years old and live in Minnesota. God do I miss the OLD days in Old Fairfax County.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Shootin Craps ()
Date: February 22, 2017 11:13PM

Think this is a great pic of Bob Peck
Attachments:
3432028403_d377b47f46_z.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Check with Peck ()
Date: February 23, 2017 09:31AM

Shootin Craps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Think this is a great pic of Bob Peck


The showroom is full of '64s so the pic was from fall of 1963 or spring/summer of 1964.

Fantastic photo!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 23, 2017 10:32AM

Check with Peck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shootin Craps Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Think this is a great pic of Bob Peck
>
>
> The showroom is full of '64s so the pic was from
> fall of 1963 or spring/summer of 1964.
>
> Fantastic photo!

Word was the guy who designed the showroom received a new Vette every year...sweet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Fairfax CH ()
Date: February 23, 2017 10:39AM

Mosby: “General, did you ever hear of Mosby?”

Stoughton: “Yes, have you caught him?”

Mosby: “He has caught you.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: David in FC ()
Date: February 23, 2017 12:00PM

Fran Conia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eric Dobson gave us this one, it is reportedly
> Cherrydale from 1981. I did not spend much time in
> Arlington in my youth except to go to a few
> football games at W&L high school.


That is Cherrydale, the end (or beginning) of Old Dominion Drive where it merges with Lee Highway. The VW dealership on the left is the same one from the advertisement that you had posted a bit earlier in this thread for Cavalier Cars. The Lincoln Mercury dealership across the street was the old O'Brien and Rohaw dealership (not sure if I am spelling their names correctly).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: David in FC ()
Date: February 23, 2017 12:36PM

Fran Conia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This one must have been before my time. Any of you
> Falls church kids remember it? Date unknown.


The Falls Church Motel was on Lee Highway/South Washington Street just coming into Falls Church at the bottom of the hill heading east. Next door, to the left, is the Quarry Motel, and next to that is Tripp's Run and the old Sissler's/Falls Church Quarry. It's now a Budget Inn.
Attachments:
Falls Church Motel location.JPG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Nova ph ()
Date: February 23, 2017 12:47PM

Does anyone have a photo of the old ice skating rink in Falls Church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 145


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 ********   **      **  **    **   *******   **        
 **     **  **  **  **   **  **   **     **  **    **  
 **     **  **  **  **    ****           **  **    **  
 ********   **  **  **     **      *******   **    **  
 **     **  **  **  **     **            **  ********* 
 **     **  **  **  **     **     **     **        **  
 ********    ***  ***      **      *******         **  
This forum powered by Phorum.