HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 145
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: lbss82 ()
Date: November 28, 2013 05:01PM

Happy thanksgiving everyone!

Pimmit Hills 1956.
That is an 11 or 12 thousand dollar house there! How will they ever pay it off?
Attachments:
pimmit hills 1956.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Matildaville ()
Date: November 29, 2013 01:23PM

Matildaville is one of three ghost towns in Fairfax county. Not many folks know about it. Matildaville was taken over by the federal government to form Great Falls/ C&O canal parks.

http://www.novahistory.org/Matildaville/Matildaville.html#_ednref80
Attachments:
MatildavillePlat.jpg

Date: November 29, 2013 02:52PM

11 Miles South of Washington, D.C. and 3 miles south of Alexandria, Va. on U.S. Hwy. No. 1
First Class accommodations - Televison - Air-conditioned units.
Mailing address: Box 753, Route 4, Alexandria, Va.
Phones: Alexandria 1674 - Temple 9591.
AAA Approved. A Superior Court.

Mailed from Winter Park, Florida to Mr. & Mrs. J. White of Rochester, Virginia on February 18, 1953
Attachments:
motor court.jpg

Posted by: Soloman ()
Date: December 01, 2013 08:01PM

the old Chinese restaurant that was at Tysons.
Attachments:
Tysons1973_front.jpg

Date: December 01, 2013 08:02PM

back of same postcard of Chinese restaurant that was in Tysons.
Attachments:
tysonsBack.jpg

Date: December 01, 2013 09:05PM

Soloman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> back of same postcard of Chinese restaurant that
> was in Tysons.

NICE! Thanks Soloman!!

Posted by: Mike Peters ()
Date: December 01, 2013 10:56PM

This is an aerial view of UUCF on Hunter Mill Rd. That's my guess! Looks like the original buildings.

Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: December 02, 2013 03:02PM

Mike Peters Wrote:
> This is an aerial view of UUCF on Hunter Mill Rd.
> That's my guess! Looks like the original
> buildings.

Yes, Mr. Flagg, that is correct.

Posted by: Jackpot ()
Date: December 05, 2013 05:09PM

This facebook group has a ton of old pictures and videos from the tysons/mclean area pre 70's quite amazing stuff. This is a awesome video of what tysons looked like in the 60's

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202081318055341&set=o.195820407146108&type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202080929565629&set=pcb.601812056546939&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/groups/195820407146108/

Re: hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................... My guess would be Shakeys if I had to pick
Posted by: BeeZee ()
Date: December 06, 2013 02:22PM

My guess would be Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor at Springfield Mall. Come birthday time, you'd order "The Zoo." A foot and half tall mountain of ice cream with a bunch of animal figurines stuck all over. The mound would feed a dozen party-goers easy.

Date: December 10, 2013 04:10PM

Little bit of 1970s Reston love. Notice Miss Great Falls showing a little leg!
Attachments:
RestonBus.jpg

Posted by: fortuna pizza ()
Date: December 20, 2013 05:04PM

In the 70s half the Fairfax county high school students had this bumper sticker on their ride or their locker.
Attachments:
wpgc1.gif

Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: December 25, 2013 11:12AM

Opened in Oct 1965...getting ready for the Christmas season in Seven Corners....Happy Holiday All! Sincerely, Sleepy
Attachments:
lt 7 crnrs.jpg

Date: December 25, 2013 11:15AM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> Opened in Oct 1965...getting ready for the
> Christmas season in Seven Corners....Happy Holiday
> All! Sincerely, Sleepy

Right back at ya big guy!

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: December 25, 2013 11:33AM

There was a little Bible store on Lee Highway around Clifton Road? anyone remember where it actually was?

Date: December 25, 2013 11:56AM

@lbss82....thanks..and also thanks to you and the others that contribute to the best thread on FFXU....let's keep it going! Maybe you brought your Christmas treasures from 7 Corners (or a few other locations) in these...
Attachments:
gar7.jpg

Date: December 25, 2013 01:23PM

Have we posted this one before? Sorry about the size, My trusty rusty laptop died last week and I am having a time trying to figure out windows 8 on my new machine.
Attachments:
ffx tp1.jpg

Posted by: Old_Timer33 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 12:16PM

Here is an old business card from a Fairfax County Business. I posted it in its own thread, but, was pointed to this thread.

It was found in an old bag full of WWII era stuff, letters and all. I don't know what the significance of the date written on the back of it is.

The place that is there now, called The Quarry Inn Motel, seems to be quite a bit different. It claims to be established in 1977 and the use of the English language on the website seems poor.

http://quarryinnmotel.com/index.html
Attachments:
quarry_inn_1.jpg
quarry_inn_2.jpg

Posted by: Just Another Old Fart ()
Date: December 30, 2013 01:28PM

C.V. Sauveur, whose first name was "Clarence," died in September 1976. The current proprietors' statement that they established their business in 1977 may indicate that they bought it from Mr. Sauveur's estate shortly after his death. According to real estate records, the current building was constructed in 1959, when it still would have been owned by Mr. Sauveur.

Aerial photos of the area, taken from Historic Aerials, show that the plot had a number of buildings as of 1951. These were presumably the "cabins" described on your matchbook cover. The current L-shaped building, which appears in the 1962 aerial photo, occupies the footprint of some of the earlier cabins.

I believe that the pond that appears behind the Inn buildings in the 1951 photo, marked with a yellow arrow, is the quarry from which the business took its name. In the current Google Maps screenshot, you can see that it has been filled in and paved over. The quarry was originally operated by Joseph Tinner, for whom nearby Tinner Hill is named. Tinner was an early civil rights activist who is credited with establishing the first rural branch of the NAACP. He passed away in 1928. A stone arch across Lee Highway from the Quarry Inn commemorates his life and these events. Stones for the arch were salvaged from buildings in the area that had been constructed with materials from the quarry.

Sisler Stone, which still operates immediately next door to the Quarry Inn to the east, is a successor business to this quarry. The Sisler family first opened a monument business in Winchester, later moving to the Cherrydale section of Arlington before bringing their business to the current Falls Church location in 1937. It is interesting that this is the same year as the handwritten notation on your matchbook, although that could just be coincidence. Some Falls Church historical literature refers to this location as the "Sisler quarry" and inaccurately attributes the stone in buildings constructed well before 1937 to Sisler. It is possible that the Sislers may have quarried the area for a short time after they established their Falls Church business, but if so they must not have continued for long. According to historical descriptions for Sisler Stone, their primary source for materials, even before World War II, was a quarry near Haymarket, Virginia.
Attachments:
Quarry.jpg

Posted by: Stone Dust ()
Date: December 30, 2013 05:39PM

^^Amazing research and history sharing. Thanks!

Date: December 30, 2013 08:28PM

Old_Timer33 Wrote:
> Here is an old business card from a Fairfax County
> Business. I posted it in its own thread, but, was
> pointed to this thread.
>
> It was found in an old bag full of WWII era stuff,
> letters and all. I don't know what the
> significance of the date written on the back of it
> is.
>
> The place that is there now, called The Quarry Inn
> Motel, seems to be quite a bit different. It
> claims to be established in 1977 and the use of
> the English language on the website seems poor.
>
> http://quarryinnmotel.com/index.html

Thanks, Old Timer! We would LOVE to see any other stuff like that.

Date: December 30, 2013 09:10PM

Just Another Old Fart,

That is amazing research. Thanks for doing that. What I know about the business card (it wasn't a matchbook), is that it was came from my Mother in Law's things. She's from Southern Pines, NC, but was only 14 in 1937. It was probably her mother or father who had the card. They used to travel between Baltimore and Southern Pines.

Date: December 30, 2013 09:13PM

I have another old card from the same set of things. This one is for a set of cabins in Lorton.
Attachments:
Green_Leaf_Camp010.jpg
Green_Leaf_Camp011.jpg

Fishers Hardware
Posted by: lamancha ()
Date: December 30, 2013 10:47PM

This may have already been addressed, but back in the late 80's in the same shopping center as Fishers on the corner was a bbq place. Was it O'Briens? Where you ordered and got your order through a walk up window?

Posted by: Yes it Was ()
Date: December 30, 2013 11:27PM

O Brians and I miss that place, Yes you went thru a line inside like a school cafe picking out what you wanted. They closed probably in the early 90's I never got anything expensive like ribs but they had some good sandwhich's with beans and cole slaw plates.

Date: December 31, 2013 11:15AM

J.M. Brown, who ran Green Leaf Camp, is Joseph Mitchell Brown. There's a lot of genealogy information about his family on the internet, but not much about his business other than the fact that the land was taken to build I-95. That would have been the late 40s or early 50s, since Shirley Highway was built through that area first and became part of the interstate system later. I could speculate about the exact location but to nail it down for certain you'd have to access more detailed land records. It wouldn't be worth the effort since it's all highway right of way now.

Given the consecutive dates for the two business cards, it seems likely that these were the dates that your relatives stayed there.

Posted by: Rocks ()
Date: January 01, 2014 01:05PM

Great read and nice that Sislers is still going strong. Recall trips with my dad in early 1980's of stone/rock purchases for our Sterling Park house.

Thought it was so cool to get our F-150 truck weighed by a drive-on scale before and after for the purchases. Charged for the added weight of stone type. Seemed mystical at the time and good memories!

Date: January 02, 2014 04:42AM

Front of C&P telephone building in Falls Church, Va.

June 1947
Attachments:
cccppp.jpg

Posted by: Boozewoozy ()
Date: January 02, 2014 11:00PM

I want to believe, no, I am going to believe, that you posted this yourself.

Date: January 03, 2014 11:39AM

Here's an old fire map from 1946 that actually shows the individual cabin numbers for the Quarry Inn as well as the location of the quarry in back.
Attachments:
Quarry Map.JPG

Posted by: moonshine ()
Date: January 03, 2014 01:40PM

Edward Dooley of Fairfax calling with Frank Webber and Variety 4 playing music New Years Eve Alexandria 1940
Attachments:
Edward Dooley of Fairfax calling Frank Webber and Variety 4 playing music NYE Alexandria 1940.jpg

Posted by: fxcograd ()
Date: January 03, 2014 11:03PM

lbss82 Wrote:
> 11 Miles South of Washington, D.C. and 3 miles
> south of Alexandria, Va. on U.S. Hwy. No. 1
> First Class accommodations - Televison -
> Air-conditioned units.
> Mailing address: Box 753, Route 4, Alexandria,
> Va.
> Phones: Alexandria 1674 - Temple 9591.
> AAA Approved. A Superior Court.
>
> Mailed from Winter Park, Florida to Mr. & Mrs. J.
> White of Rochester, Virginia on February 18, 1953

Ya know- that got me thinking about an old timey motel in Alexandria (the FXCo part)I pass on Rt 1 all the time. The Southern Motel. Not too far up from Buckman. I remember it being there when I was a kid and aerial photos indicate it was there before me. Was it always called Southern Motel? Anybody got post cards of it back in its heyday? (8257 Richmond Hwy.)
Attachments:
southern3.jpg
southern 1.jpg
southern 2.jpg

Posted by: Laura F. ()
Date: January 04, 2014 03:57PM

My husband and I took our sons to Transpo. A wonderful experience.

Posted by: Real Old Timer ()
Date: January 04, 2014 04:06PM

Transpo '72?

Posted by: Laura F ()
Date: January 04, 2014 04:20PM

I worked at Giant Music and when it was still Porter Studios.

Re: Back to the Future (today is the Day Marty McFly arrives from 1985 lol)
Posted by: Laura F ()
Date: January 04, 2014 04:30PM

The old Falls Church Drug Store and Porter Studios and on Broad Street was Robertson's 5 and 10

Date: January 04, 2014 04:59PM

Real Old Timer Wrote:
> Transpo '72?

Nice!
Attachments:
72.jpg

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: January 04, 2014 05:05PM

The TJHS Band parked cars at Transpo to get $ to pay for their new uniforms.

We saw the first Honda cars there, really small with motorcycle engines to run them.

I believe a Blue Angel (perhaps a Thunderbird) bought it during one of their flying shows at Transpo...

Posted by: plane crash ()
Date: January 04, 2014 08:00PM

I believe it was an Air Force Thunderbird flying an F-4 Phantom that crashed...if I'm not mistaken.

Anyone know where it crashed?

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: January 04, 2014 08:41PM

­

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 05:04PM by chuckhoffmann.

Date: January 05, 2014 10:45AM

@fxcograd...this could be an early shot of the Southern Motel...the many small buildings could have been "updated"...the footprint looks similar....just a guess.
Attachments:
$_57.JPG

Posted by: Southern ()
Date: January 05, 2014 11:32AM

Sleepy Holla, good research, but if you'll note that Simmons Motor Court is listed as being 3 miles from Alexandria, i believe historically the Southern Motel (and others around it, like Miller's Motor Court, Mike's, Pines, Mcreary's, etc) were listed as being like 7 miles from Alexandria...or something like that.

So no, I don't think they're the same.

Date: January 05, 2014 01:12PM

@Southern...perhaps...not nit-picking but Miller's states "11 miles s. of dc and 3 miles south of Alexandria. Simmons rear states "10 miles s of DC and 3 miles south of Alexandria. Hmmmm

Posted by: yep ()
Date: January 05, 2014 01:21PM

Well then i may stand corrected...

Date: January 05, 2014 10:51PM

Below is a circa 1950 postcard showing the Southern Modern Guest Home and Cottages, located 5 miles south of Alexandria on Route 1. The configuration of the cottages (left side of the picture) corresponds exactly to the configuration of the guest room buildings of the current Southern Motel, which are characterized by pairs of side-by-side entry doors under common gables. The Miller and Simmons cottages are different in design. I also found one reference to 8257 Richmond Highway as the address for a lodging establishment under this exact name.

The one confusing part is the two-story building in the upper right-hand corner of the postcard. This is not part of the current motel and there is no empty space where such a building could have formerly stood. I believe, however, that the answer is revealed by real estate records. The current Southern Motel at 8257 Richmond Highway was built in 1945. The lot map shows that it sits on "Lot 6," from which a rectangular "Lot 6A" seems to be carved out of the southwest corner. Usually, an "A" added to the number of a lot indicates that it was split off of an earlier combined lot. Lot 6A, which bears the address of 8263 Richmond Highway, was sold to the American Oil Company on December 31, 1966, and the building on that plot, a gas station, was built in 1967. What appears to have happened, therefore, is that the owner decided to keep the smaller cottages but sell off the portion of the plot where the two story "guest home" stood. The gas station now sits on this land.

Putting this all together, I am fairly confident that the cottages depicted in this postcard are the same buildings as the current Southern Motel.
Attachments:
Southern - Front.jpg
Southern - Back.jpg

Posted by: a little further down Rt 1 ()
Date: January 06, 2014 06:32AM

Old, I'm pretty sure the house that you refer to above is still existent, on the other side of rt 1, a little further south...at the corner of Rt 1 and Sacramento in front of Sacramento shopping center...currently a Wells Fargo if I'm not mistaken.

Check google images, the windows/columns etc seem to line up, although the bank is now white...

Posted by: address, please ()
Date: January 06, 2014 06:44AM

Bldg I am referring to is 8770 Richmond Highway

Date: January 06, 2014 11:26AM

It's quite similar, but there are differences. I suppose the dormers and cupola could have been added, but it's harder to explain why the left wing of the building in the postcard would have two windows and appear considerably wider than the left wing of the current Wells Fargo Bank building, which has just one window and no room to accommodate a second one.

Having looked again, though, I have a slightly different theory about where the guest house stood. In the 1962 aerial photo, shown below, the partitioned section of the lot where the gas station was built a few years later is open space. But just across the side street, which is named "Reddick Avenue" (more about that name in a minute), is a structure that could very well be the guest house. This land is now occupied by a modern office building, constructed in 1989.

"Reddick Avenue" corresponds to the name of the manager shown on the back of the postcard, Mrs. G.C. Reddick. Even more significantly, I found a reference in Fairfax County Board of Zoning Appeals minutes to a 1941 petition from "Mr. G.C. Reddick," who sought and obtained permission to build a residence on lot 27 of the Mount Zephyr subdivision without the required setback. If you take a virtual trip down Reddick Avenue from Richmond Highway using Google Maps, the first house you encounter on the left is closer to the road than the neighboring structures. Sure enough, if you look up the address in the Fairfax County real estate records, you find that it sits on lot 27 in the Mount Zephyr subdivision and was constructed in 1941.

Putting it all together, it looks like the Reddick family lived in a house directly behind their lodging establishment. I don't know for sure that the guest house was also directly adjacent, but it strikes me as being more likely than the bank building, which is more than a mile further down the road. The adjacent location is more consistent with the postcard, which places both buildings "5 miles south of Alexandria."
Attachments:
Southern Aerial.jpg
Reddick Zoning.JPG

Posted by: bingo ()
Date: January 06, 2014 11:34AM

I think that's the Wagon Wheel motel

Date: January 06, 2014 11:53AM

The Wagon Wheel was located closer to town at 7212 Richmond Highway, next door to the Elks Lodge (which used to be a Steak and Ale). The Elks building still stands, but the Wagon Wheel was has been demolished.

Posted by: wowza ()
Date: January 06, 2014 01:28PM

Old, your research is waaaay better than mine, and I tend to agree with you, re: the left side of the Wells Fargo building being slightly different.

Perhaps they are similar as 1 builder was able to sell his plans and building to 2 buyers...who knows?

Anyway, yes, Wagon Wheel is gone, although you can see some remnants of the entry way on Rt 1.

Also, do you remember Doran's Motor Court?

On the same side of Rt 1 as "Southern", I think it was a little further south.

Torn down around 2007, as i recall, although it seemed to be sitting vacant for some years before that.

Appeared to be built in 1962 or thereabouts, as some of the walls seemed to be stuffed with newspapers from that time, for insulation I suppose.

Finally, your notes from the board of zoning appeals, above, 2 names seem to stand out...Cooper Dawson, wasn't he part of the Penn-Daw hotel?

And Mackall...same spelling as the Mclean Mackall that seemed to own much of the area near Langley High at one time?

Date: January 06, 2014 03:36PM

Lots of questions there. I won't try to answer them all at once. But I think the similarity of design reflects a lot of attempts to imitate the style of Mount Vernon. You also see that in some of the other motels built during the same era. Another example is the Mount Vee Motel, which was more or less across the street from your bank building before it was demolished.
Attachments:
Mount Vee.jpg

Date: January 06, 2014 03:52PM

Now for your other questions:

I don't recall Doran's Motor Court, although I think there was an auto repair shop by that name and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that there was also a motor court.

Cooper Dawson is definitely associated with the Penn-Daw. He lived well into his 90s and passed away only a few years ago.

I am familiar with the name Douglas Mackall mostly from the law firm that still bears the family name: Mackall Mackall & Gibb. I've actually used them for real estate closings. Douglas S Mackall III, is still a partner there. The firm was founded prior to the Civil War.

Posted by: bingo ()
Date: January 06, 2014 06:43PM

I used to stay at the Mt Vee motel many moons ago. Didn't Aurther Godfrey broadcast shows from there? BTW, do you remember the Plaza resturant?

Posted by: kever ()
Date: January 06, 2014 07:50PM

Old_Timer33 Wrote:
> Here is an old business card from a Fairfax County
> Business. I posted it in its own thread, but, was
> pointed to this thread.
>
> It was found in an old bag full of WWII era stuff,
> letters and all. I don't know what the
> significance of the date written on the back of it
> is.
>
> The place that is there now, called The Quarry Inn
> Motel, seems to be quite a bit different. It
> claims to be established in 1977 and the use of
> the English language on the website seems poor.
>
> http://quarryinnmotel.com/index.html

Thats a strange little saying on the back of the Quary Inn Motel. Whenever I go to Sisler Stone I look up at that place and am creeped out. The front pics look nice (on that site link) versus how dingy it looks from the back and side.

Posted by: MV Fan ()
Date: January 07, 2014 10:37AM

bingo Wrote:
> I used to stay at the Mt Vee motel many moons ago.
> Didn't Aurther Godfrey broadcast shows from
> there? BTW, do you remember the Plaza resturant?

I lived not too far from Mt. Vee, remember being told that Harry Turman went there to play poker on occasion. Have no idea if that's true or not.

Posted by: MV Fan ()
Date: January 07, 2014 10:44AM

Just Another Old Fart Wrote:
> Now for your other questions:
>
> I don't recall Doran's Motor Court, although I
> think there was an auto repair shop by that name
> and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that there
> was also a motor court.
>
> Cooper Dawson is definitely associated with the
> Penn-Daw. He lived well into his 90s and passed
> away only a few years ago.
>
> I am familiar with the name Douglas Mackall mostly
> from the law firm that still bears the family
> name: Mackall Mackall & Gibb. I've actually used
> them for real estate closings. Douglas S Mackall
> III, is still a partner there. The firm was
> founded prior to the Civil War.

Doran's definitely had a motel/motor court, eventually it was just Dorans automotve, Started by the dad but eventually run by sons Ted and Frank. Knew the family well, great guys. Now it's a laundromat! Too bad. Used to stop in and chat with Ted and Frank about local sports, it wasn't unusual to see Sonny Jurgenson in there.

I remember Ted telling me how he became the starting running back on the football team when he was a sophmore in high school. He said once he was running the scout team, and was coming around the end and one of the senior linebacks, a guy named Manual Alzamore, was waiting for him. Ted said he didn't know what else to do so he lowered his head and ran as hard as he could right into Alzamore. Impressed Coach Jack Miller so much, he named Ted as the starter. Ted told me later that Alzamore nearly knocked him out!!!!!

Date: January 07, 2014 12:39PM

One of the buildings in the Mount Vee Motel complex apparently was built in 1927 to serve as a studio for an early radio station called WJSV. Early in Arthur Godfrey's career, he hosted a local early morning show for WJSV. Judging from the timeline, however, I have my doubts that Godfrey's show would have been broadcast from the Mount Vee studio.

According to newspaper accounts, a man named James S. Vance purchased a radio station in Brooklyn, New York and moved it to his newly constructed studio in the Mount Vernon area. Vance, who was a Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan in Virginia, changed the call letters a couple of times but eventually settled on WJSV, which either stood for his initials or for "Jesus Saves Virginia," depending on whom you asked. Vance worked a deal to become the primary Washington area outlet for CBS, which reportedly was unaware of the KKK ties. In 1932, CBS bought out WJSV. At this point, the studios were moved to D.C. and the transmitter was moved to the Potomac Yards area in an effort to improve the local signal. The station, which remained the primary CBS outlet in Washington, later changed its call letters to WTOP.

During the period that WJSV was broadcasting from Mount Vernon, Godfrey was working elsewhere. According to his bio, he worked for a Baltimore station before 1930 and for WRC in Washington from 1930 to 1934. Godfrey joined WJSV in 1934, after it had moved from Mount Vernon to Washington. Unless the move occurred later than I think it did, therefore, it appears that Godfrey would have done his show from D.C. rather than Mount Vernon.

That's not to say that Godfrey had no ties to the area. He apparently flew in and out of the Beacon Field airport frequently and had a plane in a hangar there.

A few other CBS personalities who later became well known, though less famous than Godfrey, did work for WJSV during the Mount Vernon era. One is Bob Trout, who served in CBS' news division for several decades.

I don't believe that Mount Vee opened as a motel until approximately 1946. The use of WJSV studio building between the early 1930s and 1946 isn't clear, although it may have served as a KKK meeting house during some of this period.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: January 07, 2014 06:51PM

Wow, it has been a while since I "flooded" this site

LoLz ;)
Attachments:
4df7179382d03ce611af0c61e258.tif

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: January 07, 2014 08:13PM

is this an old picture yet?
Attachments:
e0a9a593189cbdb42cad640ecb9e1ca8.jpg

Date: January 08, 2014 08:19PM

...Hey GB, welcome back...been a little lean lately w/ some of us trying to keep the fire burnin'...I'm pretty sure this is old...any memories, anyone?....Sleepy out!
Attachments:
alcorn.JPG
alcorn1.jpg

Posted by: No Blvd ()
Date: January 09, 2014 05:11PM

Ken Alcorn in Holla's above photo looks like a younger Bashar al-Assad, President of Syria... hmmm?...
Attachments:
th.jpg

Date: January 09, 2014 10:51PM

Cool post card- put some shutters on and swap the red and white colors and it would look the same.

> Below is a circa 1950 postcard showing the
> Southern Modern Guest Home and Cottages, located 5
> miles south of Alexandria on Route 1. The
> configuration of the cottages (left side of the
> picture) corresponds exactly to the configuration
> of the guest room buildings of the current
> Southern Motel, which are characterized by pairs
> of side-by-side entry doors under common gables.
> The Miller and Simmons cottages are different in
> design. I also found one reference to 8257
> Richmond Highway as the address for a lodging
> establishment under this exact name.
>
> The one confusing part is the two-story building
> in the upper right-hand corner of the postcard.
> This is not part of the current motel and there is
> no empty space where such a building could have
> formerly stood. I believe, however, that the
> answer is revealed by real estate records. The
> current Southern Motel at 8257 Richmond Highway
> was built in 1945. The lot map shows that it sits
> on "Lot 6," from which a rectangular "Lot 6A"
> seems to be carved out of the southwest corner.
> Usually, an "A" added to the number of a lot
> indicates that it was split off of an earlier
> combined lot. Lot 6A, which bears the address of
> 8263 Richmond Highway, was sold to the American
> Oil Company on December 31, 1966, and the building
> on that plot, a gas station, was built in 1967.
> What appears to have happened, therefore, is that
> the owner decided to keep the smaller cottages but
> sell off the portion of the plot where the two
> story "guest home" stood. The gas station now
> sits on this land.
>
> Putting this all together, I am fairly confident
> that the cottages depicted in this postcard are
> the same buildings as the current Southern Motel.

Date: January 09, 2014 11:01PM

> It's quite similar, but there are differences. I
> suppose the dormers and cupola could have been
> added, but it's harder to explain why the left
> wing of the building in the postcard would have
> two windows and appear considerably wider than the
> left wing of the current Wells Fargo Bank
> building, which has just one window and no room to
> accommodate a second one.
>
> Having looked again, though, I have a slightly
> different theory about where the guest house
> stood. In the 1962 aerial photo, shown below, the
> partitioned section of the lot where the gas
> station was built a few years later is open space.
> But just across the side street, which is named
> "Reddick Avenue" (more about that name in a
> minute), is a structure that could very well be
> the guest house. This land is now occupied by a
> modern office building, constructed in 1989.
>
> "Reddick Avenue" corresponds to the name of the
> manager shown on the back of the postcard, Mrs.
> G.C. Reddick. Even more significantly, I found a
> reference in Fairfax County Board of Zoning
> Appeals minutes to a 1941 petition from "Mr. G.C.
> Reddick," who sought and obtained permission to
> build a residence on lot 27 of the Mount Zephyr
> subdivision without the required setback. If you
> take a virtual trip down Reddick Avenue from
> Richmond Highway using Google Maps, the first
> house you encounter on the left is closer to the
> road than the neighboring structures. Sure
> enough, if you look up the address in the Fairfax
> County real estate records, you find that it sits
> on lot 27 in the Mount Zephyr subdivision and was
> constructed in 1941.
>
> Putting it all together, it looks like the Reddick
> family lived in a house directly behind their
> lodging establishment. I don't know for sure that
> the guest house was also directly adjacent, but it
> strikes me as being more likely than the bank
> building, which is more than a mile further down
> the road. The adjacent location is more
> consistent with the postcard, which places both
> buildings "5 miles south of Alexandria."

Date: January 09, 2014 11:07PM

sorry for the "nothing" repost- dang track pad. Duh- Reddick, the name of the road. makes sense. I'm guessing a bunch of roads in that area have family names, like Russell across the street from Reddick. I'm guessing there was a Buckman family too.

> It's quite similar, but there are differences. I
> suppose the dormers and cupola could have been
> added, but it's harder to explain why the left
> wing of the building in the postcard would have
> two windows and appear considerably wider than the
> left wing of the current Wells Fargo Bank
> building, which has just one window and no room to
> accommodate a second one.
>
> Having looked again, though, I have a slightly
> different theory about where the guest house
> stood. In the 1962 aerial photo, shown below, the
> partitioned section of the lot where the gas
> station was built a few years later is open space.
> But just across the side street, which is named
> "Reddick Avenue" (more about that name in a
> minute), is a structure that could very well be
> the guest house. This land is now occupied by a
> modern office building, constructed in 1989.
>
> "Reddick Avenue" corresponds to the name of the
> manager shown on the back of the postcard, Mrs.
> G.C. Reddick. Even more significantly, I found a
> reference in Fairfax County Board of Zoning
> Appeals minutes to a 1941 petition from "Mr. G.C.
> Reddick," who sought and obtained permission to
> build a residence on lot 27 of the Mount Zephyr
> subdivision without the required setback. If you
> take a virtual trip down Reddick Avenue from
> Richmond Highway using Google Maps, the first
> house you encounter on the left is closer to the
> road than the neighboring structures. Sure
> enough, if you look up the address in the Fairfax
> County real estate records, you find that it sits
> on lot 27 in the Mount Zephyr subdivision and was
> constructed in 1941.
>
> Putting it all together, it looks like the Reddick
> family lived in a house directly behind their
> lodging establishment. I don't know for sure that
> the guest house was also directly adjacent, but it
> strikes me as being more likely than the bank
> building, which is more than a mile further down
> the road. The adjacent location is more
> consistent with the postcard, which places both
> buildings "5 miles south of Alexandria."

Date: January 11, 2014 11:28AM

Great research fxcograd and old f...Does any one have any pics of the dealer? This is from a 1957 Chevrolet cookbook.
Attachments:
chev 7.JPG

Date: January 12, 2014 06:45AM

Remember when Fairfax county had a separate Park Police force?
I remember them driving lime green Mercury Montego sedans with a single red light on the roof.
Attachments:
park police.jpg

Posted by: Poo Poo and Pee Pee ()
Date: January 12, 2014 01:17PM

lbss82 Wrote:
> Remember when Fairfax county had a separate Park
> Police force?
> I remember them driving lime green Mercury Montego
> sedans with a single red light on the roof.

Why did they have a seperate police force?

Posted by: Park Police Fairfax County ()
Date: January 12, 2014 01:25PM

Because they were to patrol the parks as a dedicated police force just for that.It was thought that the PD would take positions for this and use them else where.

The trouble came as they had police powers the same as the regular PD and they could pull you over on the roads and give tickets. People got bent out of shape with that as they thought they were park rangers only. Finally they were put back into the regular PD about 1990 or so.

A female one of the first female Park Police officers made it up to Lt. Col deputy police chief of FX CO a few years back.

Date: January 12, 2014 01:31PM

Poo Poo and Pee Pee Wrote:
> lbss82 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Remember when Fairfax county had a separate
> Park
> > Police force?
> > I remember them driving lime green Mercury
> Montego
> > sedans with a single red light on the roof.
>
>
> Why did they have a seperate police force?

Not sure why but someone commented on another forum that the Fairfax county park police joined the regular police force about the same time the Northern Virginia regional park authority was created. Further research led me to this nice little pic. That car looks to me like it might be a ford galaxy just like Andy of Mayberry drove in the 1960's TV series.
Attachments:
parkranger.png

Date: January 12, 2014 02:21PM

@lbss82...cool stuff...I don't think that is a Ford, and is def later than Andy drove. Given the gas filler location and the county usually had economy models, I believe that is a 1967 era Rambler Rebel (AMC). I'm sure I could be wrong.

Date: January 12, 2014 02:36PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> @lbss82...cool stuff...I don't think that is a
> Ford, and is def later than Andy drove. Given the
> gas filler location and the county usually had
> economy models, I believe that is a 1967 era
> Rambler Rebel (AMC). I'm sure I could be wrong.

Yeah I think you're right sleep. If we could see the quarter panel we would be able to tell for sure as the Rambler had a little flare out on the side at bumper level. I think those hubcaps are more like an AMC than a Ford.

Posted by: Just my WAG ()
Date: January 12, 2014 04:11PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> @lbss82...cool stuff...I don't think that is a
> Ford, and is def later than Andy drove. Given the
> gas filler location and the county usually had
> economy models, I believe that is a 1967 era
> Rambler Rebel (AMC). I'm sure I could be wrong.

I do not think it is a Rambler. The door handles are too high for a Rambler. I think it is a 1966 or so Ford Galaxy 500. Notice the door handles and the body styling. Although I too could be wrong.
Attachments:
1966-ford-galaxie-500-4-door.jpg

Posted by: oold timer ()
Date: January 12, 2014 04:11PM

That Park Police car is a Ford Galaxy 500, probably a '65 or '66. Same as the FCPD cars of the period except for the color.

Here's a set of Galaxy "dog dish poverty" hub caps on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=65+66+FORD+GALAXIE+FAIRLANE+HUB+CAPS+HUBCAPS+WHEEL+COVERS+DOG+DISH+POVERTY

Posted by: andy g ()
Date: January 12, 2014 04:16PM

Here's Andy's car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waAWrxaSRaM

Note the location of the fuel filler door compared to the Park Police car.

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: January 12, 2014 04:45PM

­

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 05:12PM by chuckhoffmann.

Date: January 12, 2014 05:29PM

Good job guys...you may be correct. When I first saw the pic I thought of Fairlane..but the gas filler was wrong. In that pic the car does not appear to be long or sleek enough for a Galaxie...but it just may be the photo. Also , sorry about Andy's car...when I think of that car I think of this..in B/W.
Attachments:
64ford.jpg

Posted by: ooooold ()
Date: January 12, 2014 07:14PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> Good job guys...you may be correct. When I first
> saw the pic I thought of Fairlane..but the gas
> filler was wrong. In that pic the car does not
> appear to be long or sleek enough for a
> Galaxie...but it just may be the photo. Also ,
> sorry about Andy's car...when I think of that car
> I think of this..in B/W.

That's a 1964 Galaxie. Back in those days, the Big Three automakers changed the styling of their cars EVERY year.

It's no accident that Sheriff Andy drove Fords. Many TV shows back then used to credit the company that provided the cars in the show. I wouldn't be surprised if Andy had a new Galaxie every year that the show ran. I believe they call that "product placement".

Posted by: MS 13 ()
Date: January 12, 2014 10:42PM

SLEEPY, OR GORDON,WHAT WAS NAME OF LAKE OFF HUNTER.OR VALE? BIG SWIMMING LAKE,WITH HIGH DIVE.RAFTS IN THE MIDDLE OF LAKE.LAST TIME THERE ABOUT1980,FIRST TIME 1968

Posted by: Yo, MS13-- ()
Date: January 12, 2014 11:27PM

MS 13 Wrote:
> SLEEPY, OR GORDON,WHAT WAS NAME OF LAKE OFF
> HUNTER.OR VALE? BIG SWIMMING LAKE,WITH HIGH
> DIVE.RAFTS IN THE MIDDLE OF LAKE.LAST TIME THERE
> ABOUT1980,FIRST TIME 1968

Timber Lake, off of Vale, west of Hunter Mill? That is now a subdivision of McMansions.

Date: January 14, 2014 08:38PM

All Old Fart's research and answers- I got the easy part,I'm just askin the questions.

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> Great research fxcograd and old f...Does any one
> have any pics of the dealer? This is from a 1957
> Chevrolet cookbook.

Date: January 14, 2014 08:43PM

Wait a minute! Green Montego sedans? Is that where we got the FXCO drivers education cars from? Park service cast offs?

lbss82 Wrote:
> Remember when Fairfax county had a separate Park
> Police force?
> I remember them driving lime green Mercury Montego
> sedans with a single red light on the roof.

Re: now Mountain View High School
Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: January 14, 2014 09:16PM

Attachments:
Centreville Elementary School.jpg
Mountain View High School.jpg

Date: January 15, 2014 03:25PM

There was a Ginos in Tysons corner which then became a Hermanns Sporting goods and is now a Bed Bath and Beyond.

Posted by: NS 13 ()
Date: January 15, 2014 05:42PM

Yo,Thanks.Anybody have old pics of Timber Lake? or know about its history,was it part of hunter mill,or related to logging in that area? I remember another small body of water right beside,possibly at a lower elavation.Thanks to all,It took a long time to see it all,but it was worth every minute.

Posted by: lbss82bruin ()
Date: January 15, 2014 07:21PM

fxcograd Wrote:
> Wait a minute! Green Montego sedans? Is that where
> we got the FXCO drivers education cars from? Park
> service cast offs?
>
> lbss82 Wrote:
> -----
> > Remember when Fairfax county had a separate
> Park
> > Police force?
> > I remember them driving lime green Mercury
> Montego
> > sedans with a single red light on the roof.

Fall of '79 Lake Braddock had several of those Montego's and also a new AMC Concord DL

Posted by: 80 GCM ()
Date: January 15, 2014 07:50PM

Zeke Mcgillicutty Wrote:
> There was a Ginos in Tysons corner which then
> became a Hermanns Sporting goods and is now a Bed
> Bath and Beyond.

The now Petsmart building was originally a Safeway then Hermans. The Bed Bath and Beyond building on RT 123 was originally Hechingers. I can't recall Gino's in the Tyson's area?

Posted by: Partners II ()
Date: January 15, 2014 08:18PM

Burke Brat Wrote:
> There was a little Bible store on Lee Highway
> around Clifton Road? anyone remember where it
> actually was?

It was in a little house just west of Fairfax City on RT 29 opposite of Monument Drive - It was called Choice Books. They moved 8 or 9 years ago to Bristow/Manassas on RT 28 opposite the Target shopping center.

Posted by: Also Closed Down Long Ago ()
Date: January 15, 2014 08:34PM

Yes it Was Wrote:
> O Brians and I miss that place, Yes you went thru
> a line inside like a school cafe picking out what
> you wanted. They closed probably in the early 90's
> I never got anything expensive like ribs but they
> had some good sandwhich's with beans and cole slaw
> plates.

There was a good BBQ place on RT 1 & RT 235 called The Rib Rack that has great onion ring loafs - Mount Vernon area

Posted by: IAD ()
Date: January 19, 2014 08:54AM

Sorry it's not a pic just reminiscing: I had to drive to Dulles the other day, and remembered when I was little (30 years ago) it always seemed so far, out in the middle of the country, with mostly trees to look at on the way there. The only building in the last few miles was that funny oblong-cubed shape black one near the airport, which is still there.

Posted by: 1972 Ford Pinto ()
Date: January 19, 2014 10:52AM

ooooold Wrote:
> Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> -----
> > Good job guys...you may be correct. When I
> first
> > saw the pic I thought of Fairlane..but the gas
> > filler was wrong. In that pic the car does not
> > appear to be long or sleek enough for a
> > Galaxie...but it just may be the photo. Also ,
> > sorry about Andy's car...when I think of that
> car
> > I think of this..in B/W.
>
>
> That's a 1964 Galaxie. Back in those days, the
> Big Three automakers changed the styling of their
> cars EVERY year.
>
> It's no accident that Sheriff Andy drove Fords.
> Many TV shows back then used to credit the company
> that provided the cars in the show. I wouldn't be
> surprised if Andy had a new Galaxie every year
> that the show ran. I believe they call that
> "product placement".

Maybe this will clear up the question of Andy's car. The show ran from 1960 till 1968. Andy got a new car every 2 years - He a 1960, 1962, 1964, 1966, and ended with 1967. They were all full sized Galaxies - Police Interceptor packages. The high end equipment was the Ford LTD, and then the Galaxie followed by the Ford Custom. All were manufactured on the same platform, just different levels of performance and luxury trim.

The fuel filler door was behind the rear plate, but due to the hazard of fire, most manufactures moved the gasoline filler to the side of the car.

Posted by: kash and carry ()
Date: January 20, 2014 03:40PM

I miss this place
Attachments:
cash.png

Date: January 22, 2014 06:13AM

1970's Fairfax. Anyone know what is at that location today? What do they mean by "The Inn with the British Accent"? I guess that could have been the name of the restaurant. Any memories here?
Attachments:
holA.jpg
holB.jpg

Date: January 22, 2014 06:58AM

Soloman Wrote:
> 1970's Fairfax. Anyone know what is at that
> location today? What do they mean by "The Inn
> with the British Accent"? I guess that could have
> been the name of the restaurant. Any memories
> here?

That post card was posted here quite a few pages back but I love seeing it again. As I recall the bar there had an English pub theme to it. The building is still there today only now it's the Best Western.
Attachments:
Best-Western-Fairfax-photos-Exterior.JPEG

Posted by: Spiz ()
Date: January 22, 2014 11:23PM

This is off of Rt. 29 across the street from the Post office in Merrifield.

Posted by: NED FREDRICKSON ()
Date: January 24, 2014 03:09PM

I went to school at Timberlane Elementry School in the Fifties. The Igloo village was located behind the school. One of the kids I went to school with lived there.

Posted by: pete zeereia ()
Date: January 25, 2014 12:27PM

I grew up in Ravensworth and I remember when I was little the Shenandoah's pride dairy man making the rounds to bring milk, butter and cheese to nearly every house in the neighborhood. We had a box on the side porch entrance to the house. In the summer the dairy man would throw an ice pack in with the dairy products.
Attachments:
milk.png

Posted by: Mr. Clean ()
Date: January 25, 2014 10:23PM

That's the McDonalds in McLean right off Old Chain Bridge Rd.

Posted by: Mr. Clean ()
Date: January 25, 2014 10:26PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> that pic above is the Baron Cameron Store. it's
> too damn small :(
>
> anywho, here's another pic - amazing how NOT SO
> LONG AGO it was, eh?

That's the McDonald's in McLean right off Old Chain Bridge Rd. Been there lots of times.

Posted by: Greenbriar ()
Date: January 26, 2014 10:54AM

Soloman Wrote:
> 1970's Fairfax. Anyone know what is at that
> location today? What do they mean by "The Inn
> with the British Accent"? I guess that could have
> been the name of the restaurant. Any memories
> here?

See pages 11 and 12 of this thread. But here......

Geez i'm old Wrote:
> Kings Parker Wrote:
> -----
> > I thought this postcard was kind of cool. Why
> do
> > they call it "The inn with the British accent"?
>
> Because when it first openned it had a pub themeed
> restaurant called the Fox and Hounds. You can see
> the decor in the inet picture.

Pages: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 145

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.