HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 145
speaking of Holmes Run.................
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 01, 2013 10:38AM

I always used to wonder why that neighborhood behind Falls Church High had a Camp Alger Ave and someone schooled me on it a while back but never seen anything on it til now...........
Attachments:
canvas.png

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Facebook Thief ()
Date: April 01, 2013 10:41AM

TI4 & WE6
Attachments:
C & P.JPG
C & P2.JPG
C & P3.JPG
C & P4.JPG

damn, son!
Date: April 01, 2013 10:50AM

you are VERY good. +1
edit: @gettin - I stand corrected LoLz. But in my defense, I definitely wasnt a local when that paper came out ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2013 10:51AM by Gordon Blvd.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: April 01, 2013 10:59AM

We talk about how bad kids are these days lol, I remember there was a number you could call to make the phone ring back, and when there where Payphones they where quite often Victims of the Ringing Phone.

The FISHY50 number I posted, I think belonged to the airport, the Pilots could get there forecast, had visibility at altitudes if I remember correctly.

Gordon Blvd losing what's left of his ever loving mind right now!
Date: April 01, 2013 11:04AM

OH MY F*****G GAWD!!!!

LOOK AT WHAT PEOPLE WERE PAYING FOR PHONE CALLS BACK THEN!!!!!!!

HOLY bleeping bleep bleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: been told to point out the prices are above in the bottom right corner of the newspaper that Facebook put up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2013 12:08PM by Gordon Blvd.

Re: Geez!! Even Holmes Run got in the act
Posted by: Old Dude ()
Date: April 01, 2013 03:06PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> O.M.Goodness.................I cannot even imagine
> the amount of water that would fall from the sky
> that could give Holmes Run at this point enough
> power to do this

Yeah, those were posted earlier but easy to miss since the thread's so long now.

I lived not far from there when Agnes came through. We were 'white water rafting' in inner tubes down Holmes Run for about a week after. lol

Back then the creek still was in relatively natural form and the drainage was a lot more concentrated. After that they bulldozed everything from there down to the river, widened it about 3X, put in the big ugly rip-rap boulders along the sides to better handle the flow during large events.

Posted by: Party Line ()
Date: April 01, 2013 10:15PM

Anyone ever connect to a party line? I don't remember exactly what you had to dial to connect but it was something like 123-4567. This was back in the 70s.

Posted by: Springfielder ()
Date: April 01, 2013 10:48PM

Back in the 60s, our phone number in Springfield was Fleetwood 4-xxxx. Not a party line, but actually pretty cool and easy to remember! Hell, I can STILL remember it!

Burke Brat: I remember the "ring back" number you mentioned. Don't remember the number you dialed though. (Yeah, we used to d-i-a-l on a rotary phone!)

Posted by: Jess1 ()
Date: April 01, 2013 11:16PM

"Anyone ever connect to a party line?"
Sure. You didn't "dial" anything - just pick up the handset and hoped no one else was on the line.

Date: April 01, 2013 11:46PM

Party Lines:
I seem to remember my father telling us that each "party" had a distinct ring for incoming calls. This supposedly allowed each family to have a small bit of privacy, at least for incoming calls. Bet that worked reeeeal well!

Posted by: wrinkled restonian ()
Date: April 02, 2013 04:30AM

Love this thread! Cary can you make it a sticky thread?

Reston brochure from 1972.

Second pic is barron cameron and reston ave before they built Memco/hechinger/home depot.
Attachments:
reston.jpeg
baron cameron and reston ave.jpg

Posted by: wrinkled restonian ()
Date: April 02, 2013 04:45AM

The village of Wiehle sometime in the 50s
Attachments:
wiehle.jpg
Reston-1940.jpg

Date: April 02, 2013 08:31AM

"seem to remember my father telling us that each "party" had a distinct ring for incoming calls"
You remember well. Ours was "two longs and a short".
FWIW, everyone knew each others "rings". If someone was expecting a really important call (say, death in the family) that others knew of, it wasn't that unusual for several to pick up on the ring, listen in, and then talk about it (still on line) after the original parties had hung up.

Date: April 02, 2013 08:44AM

My......................God.

no privacy?

and 3 minutes of long distance costing what I pay for a day's worth of unlimited cellular access...............

and these were the "good old days" because? LoLz

Talk about Outtatime!! LoLz
Date: April 02, 2013 08:58AM

they used to sale Deloreans? o_0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2013 08:58AM by Gordon Blvd.
Attachments:
4997926606_90c527cd2d_o.jpg

Re: Gordon Blvd losing what's left of his ever loving mind right now!
Posted by: JustanFYI ()
Date: April 02, 2013 09:11AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> OH MY F*****G GAWD!!!!
>
> LOOK AT WHAT PEOPLE WERE PAYING FOR PHONE CALLS
> BACK THEN!!!!!!!
>
> HOLY bleeping bleep bleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> edit: been told to point out the prices are above
> in the bottom right corner of the newspaper that
> Facebook put up.

I just ran the numbers on an inflation calculator. A call to San Francisco in 1961 at $1.75 is the equivalent of $13.59 today. That's an expensive 3 minutes!

speaking of Tysons dealerships...................
Date: April 02, 2013 09:13AM

now here's a memory for ya LoLz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2013 09:13AM by Gordon Blvd.
Attachments:
7705695424_bd14759527_o.jpg

ok, I'm stumped
Date: April 02, 2013 09:20AM

any takers on this one? looks reeeeeeeeeeeeally familiar but I cant get it.

edit: it is or was in city of Fairfax.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2013 09:22AM by Gordon Blvd.
Attachments:
8277089944_ea96643156_o.jpg

Posted by: GettinOld ()
Date: April 02, 2013 09:20AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> My......................God.
>
> no privacy?
>
> and 3 minutes of long distance costing what I pay
> for a day's worth of unlimited cellular
> access...............
>
> and these were the "good old days" because? LoLz

Because the phones always, always worked. You didn't have to charge them up every other day, or remember where the hell you put them. The cell towers didn't all go down in any kind of disaster. The phones worked when the electricity was out (which happened a lot more often then). People weren't talking on their phone while driving, or texting anywhere. Your privacy may have been invaded by the others on the party line, but are you really going to make the case that you have any kind of privacy with any transaction now? Your phone service, google & facebook have all sucked up the information about your call and sold it to parties all around the world before you've even hung up. I have no desire to go back to then, but, well, you asked:-)

Posted by: GettinOld ()
Date: April 02, 2013 09:24AM

Templeton had a Yugo concession for a while. Guy was showing us one, and couldn't get the driver's door to open; great selling point, that.

Date: April 02, 2013 09:27AM

That's an expensive 3 minutes!"
Try a call to Alaska back in the day. Nine bucks for a Saturday PM 3 minute phone call. I don't want to know how much that is today...

Oh, and the DMC (Cherner) store? The office manager was a Bobbitt (Yep. Related to that dude).

Date: April 02, 2013 09:48AM

@Jess1 a personal, honest heartfelt THANK YOU.
You gave us a link to an old map site - http://www.historicaerials.com/ - on either this thread or another one, I dunno...........but WOW has it taught me TONS OF STUFF about this area I never even imagined. Things like how the names of roads have changed through the years. You've helped me confirm tons of things that I only suspected about!

So yeah..........I thank you VERY much for this :)

Date: April 02, 2013 10:10AM

You're very welcome. FWIW, maps over time do tell a great deal, but the backstories are occasionally even more interesting. Joel Garreu (sp?) covered some in his book "Edge Cities", and had a fascinating write up of the Hazel brothers and their impact on Fairfax County in the latter third of the 20th Century...

Date: April 02, 2013 10:13AM

For example, the rise and fall of Legato Road, (west) Ox Road, and the opening of Western FFaX county would make a story to rival the film noir like "Chinatown"... lots o' intrigue, tales, whisperings, mechanitions, and more.

Posted by: Party Line ()
Date: April 02, 2013 10:20AM

Party Line Wrote:
> Anyone ever connect to a party line? I don't
> remember exactly what you had to dial to connect
> but it was something like 123-4567. This was back
> in the 70s.

I'm talking about something different. I can only guess that there was some glitch in the phone system. You could pick up a phone and dial some random number and you could get connected with other people that had done the same thing. The few times I did it there was a clusterf*** of teenagers talking about where the parties were at. And yeah....I was a dumb teenager at the time so it seemed kinda cool.

Date: April 02, 2013 10:30AM

"I can only guess that there was some glitch in the phone system"
Nope, that's how it worked.
In the wayback days, you "rang" the other party/s by cranking the handle (half spin = short, full spin = long). The system (or operator) wasn't involved w/the call. Later on, automated systems meant that every call went thru the board, so one had to dial a number (any number would work - rumors were rife that one had to use "special numbers", but you could even dial your own number) instead of just picking up to be connected to the party line. That didn't last long - it was pretty much an artifact of switching to an individual line network.

Posted by: Middle Aged Madge ()
Date: April 02, 2013 10:56AM

A few things about long-distance calls from the early 1970s;

- it was a BIG deal to get a long-distance call! I can just hear all the shhhhs and exciement at the announcement that someone was calling long distance. ""Quiet! She's on a long distance call!"

- calls were expensive and you'd be billed by the minute. My parents use to break out an egg timer to make certain they'd be mindful of the time. (That's the old fashioned sand sifter type that I think was 7 minutes!)

- rates fell after 11 p.m. Many times, we'd "wait up" to get or make a call at 11:01 p.m.

- to avoid a long-distance charge (if someone answered, you'd get billed), many families would devise a ring signal. For instance, we'd always tell my grandparents that we'd "call" them as soon as we reached home, about five hours later. So, we'd get home, call their number and let it ring five times and hang up. They knew it was us and of course, would not pick up...no charge.

- or, you'd make a fake collect call - call the operator, ask to be connected to the number. The operator would ask you for your name and the number to be dialed. YOur party would answer and operator would announce, "you have a collect call from Madge. Will you accept?" If you answered yes, the call would go thru. Or, you could decline, knowing that "Madge" was a code name you've set up meaning, "I'm home."

- Prior to leaving on a trip, my dad would call the state police barracks in destination town to get a weather report if he concerned about inclement weather. I believe this was a free (not long distance) call back then.

Date: April 02, 2013 11:16AM

"or, you'd make a fake collect call"
Except when one ran into an especially sharp operator who'd look up your number and say something like "I don't see a Madge listed at this number" (the caller, that is), thus blowing the scam. And yeah, calling police stations was toll free - we'd do that going on vacation...

Good stuff, Madge!

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: April 02, 2013 11:26AM

@ Gordon

I'm thinking that Aborgast K&F motors building was located on the empty corner of Rt. 50/29 & Rt. 123. The other 3 corners have an Exxon and Rite Aid.

I recall the lot at one time was the Oursiman Toyota used car lot and it had similiar looking building on it on it. At somepoint the building was razed and it has sat vacant ever since.

Posted by: Madge ()
Date: April 02, 2013 11:31AM

Back again...I remember it was my job to spot a nearby phone booth whenever we'd check into a motel on vacation. That way, we could make calls (long distance) if we needed to. Many of the motels we visited on in the 70s did not have room phones. You'd have to go into the office or a phone booth.

When my husband was born in 1965, his dad was away on a business trip. His dad found out when the hotel manager came to his door in the middle of the night with the message; the front desk got the call from mom.

I can just see my mom going into a phone booth with a change purse and putting dime after dime into the slot to call her dad long distance.

My mom had one of the first "mobile" phones; my grandfather worked for the phone company and scored her a coiled phone cord that must have been at least 10 feet long. She'd walk all around the kitchen and sometimes into a closet in another room to chat.

Date: April 02, 2013 11:59AM

Another use for a phone booth.
Attachments:
yearbook photos 010-crop.jpg

Posted by: Geez i'm old ()
Date: April 02, 2013 12:56PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> @ Gordon
>
> I'm thinking that Aborgast K&F motors building was
> located on the empty corner of Rt. 50/29 & Rt.
> 123. The other 3 corners have an Exxon and Rite
> Aid.
>
> I recall the lot at one time was the Oursiman
> Toyota used car lot and it had similiar looking
> building on it on it. At somepoint the building
> was razed and it has sat vacant ever since.

You mean next to the 29 Diner, where Farrish Jeep started out in the 60s?

Posted by: fast fred ()
Date: April 02, 2013 01:31PM

wrinkled restonian Wrote:
> Love this thread! Cary can you make it a sticky
> thread?
>
> Reston brochure from 1972.
>
> Second pic is barron cameron and reston ave before
> they built Memco/hechinger/home depot.

28 grand for a reston townhouse wtf?

Date: April 02, 2013 02:04PM

@fast - hurts, dont it? LoLz
@Geez/Hey . maybe............ I would swear that place was like an old gas station building though. I dont recall it looking anything like that. But who knows.
You do make me wonder something else though - maybe you or someone else knows this: The Roy Rogers that was on the corner there when it was there before Rite Aid................when was it built and what was there before that?

Also now making me think about Ranch House - now that Indian place.....which must be pretty good place cause it's been there at least 2 decades now, hasnt it?

@Madge, you are VERY awesome for sparking those memories! Betcha y'all never thought a pay phone would a) cost 2-4 ENTIRE QUARTERS to use, b) even if you could find one :)

@Jess - knowing the few things I actually do know about Hazel Fam, I cannot even imagine the prolly pretty good tv series you could make out of the full story LoLz

damn, it took FOREVER to get this pic. Hope it's not a repeat. sorry if it is. BONUS INTERNETZ to ANYONE who can get us a pic of the Dennys back when it was Sambos

edit - I added a pic what the place looks like now for anyone who didnt know :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2013 03:40PM by Gordon Blvd.
Attachments:
wow-300x218.jpg
3023153403_361b1d48d3_z.jpg

Posted by: Roy ()
Date: April 02, 2013 02:06PM

In response to the question: The Roy Rogers that was on the corner there when it was there before Rite Aid................when was it built and what was there before that?

Gino's

Posted by: Just Another Old Fart ()
Date: April 02, 2013 02:11PM

@Zeus/Geez - That would make sense. Kaiser Frazier (aka KF) enventually became Kaiser Jeep Company, later purchased by AMC and then Chrysler. Farrish of Fairfax, Inc., the corporate entity for Farrish Jeep, was organized in October 1959. That's about the same time Harold Arbogast, who owned the old Kaiser Frazier dealership, moved to Florida. I don't know for certain, but one could reasonably speculate that Farrish started by buying out Arbogast.

`
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: April 02, 2013 02:15PM

`

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2015 08:00AM by WingNut.

`
Date: April 02, 2013 02:15PM

`

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2015 08:00AM by WingNut.

you see what I did there? LoLz
Date: April 02, 2013 02:40PM

@wing - you got me there - I havent been in one since I was 15 lol. In fact, you just schooled me that the one on Rt 1 was closed. I bet that Oxon Hill one will stay in business forever as long as management keeps things the same

@wing - you got me there - I havent been in one since I was 15 lol. In fact, you just schooled me that the one on Rt 1 was closed. I bet that Oxon Hill one will stay in business forever as long as management keeps things the same ;)

@just - was Farrish ever on that corner? Or maybe this building used to be over near the circle?

@Roy - thanks!

Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: April 02, 2013 02:41PM

@Gorden...I have not been able to spot a Sambo's pic, but here is what was on the site before it...Vincent's Diner circa 1952...sorry about the small pic.
Attachments:
vincents.jpg

Re: you see what I did there? LoLz
Date: April 02, 2013 02:43PM

@ GB-

RAUNCH House...

I haven't been to the one in the Gulch since last century, and I forget when it closed.

Had good pies and a drunk-centered menu.

Date: April 02, 2013 02:50PM

Just Another Old Fart Wrote:
> @Zeus/Geez - That would make sense. Kaiser
> Frazier (aka KF) enventually became Kaiser Jeep
> Company, later purchased by AMC and then Chrysler.
> Farrish of Fairfax, Inc., the corporate entity
> for Farrish Jeep, was organized in October 1959.
> That's about the same time Harold Arbogast, who
> owned the old Kaiser Frazier dealership, moved to
> Florida. I don't know for certain, but one could
> reasonably speculate that Farrish started by
> buying out Arbogast.

You're right, the corporate connection makes a lot of sense. Not sure about the timeline though.

You said Arbogast went out in about 1959. I seem to remember the Farrish name on that corner, but as a used car lot, in the middle to late 60s with the Jeep francise appearing in about 67 or 68.

I know Farrishes had a nice house on several acres at Clifton Rd. and Popes head Rd. at that time, so they were probably doing pretty well.

I don't recall another Jeep dealership anywhere near Fairfax city in the 60s.

Date: April 02, 2013 03:04PM

@Geez/Zeus - that does makes sense (edit - typo: i actually wrote "since" there. One day I am going to learn this English LoLz). Their current used car place is the old dealership next to the Sunoco. (why do I think that place used to sale Pontiacs?) so they are used to doing business that way.

@Wing - sounds VERY Three Chef-ish LoLz. I wonder which "chain" was the better place? Votes, anyone? :)

@Sleepy - I ask for silver, you give me gold! Thank YOU for showing me something completely new! Now I know what sat next to the Gulf Station (which turned to Chevron, then Exxon.........and only AFTER they built an Exxon directly across the street.....I will never figure that out in a million years)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2013 03:22PM by Gordon Blvd.

Date: April 02, 2013 03:12PM

Okay, Time for a restaurant timeline transmission in Fairfax...follow the pics.
1-The 29 Diner which arrived in 1947 from NJ, was shortly owned in the mid 50's by Oscar Lee Grey and named "Lee's"
2-The 29 when owned by Lee
3 &4-Lee sold out and moved up the the street (10759 now FFX Blvd) to open another "Lee's Diner". Later it became "The Royal Diner"...then "The Royal Family Restaurant"....then...
5-"August Moon" Chinese Restaurant...then The Golden Lion"...then...
6&7-Vespucci's...now "Cooking and Company"...you can still see the ceiling ribs from the original Lee's
Attachments:
29_Diner_PC_jpg-rev_1.jpg
Lees_Diner-29_Diner-rev_1.jpg
lees.jpg
lees1.jpg
2901191960_ddd1ebd8c7.jpg
959216234191582275.jpg
IMG_1353.JPG

Posted by: Diner Driver ()
Date: April 02, 2013 03:21PM

There is still a silver sided diner inside the walls of Mamas/Carvel/El Paso(?) down by Patriot, right? I thought I saw it there when it was remodeled about 10 years ago.

Date: April 02, 2013 03:29PM

Yes, That is what was originally "The Streamliner Diner" from @ 1948 (owned by Bob Parcelles) built in NJ also...Then it became Bob's Diner....then Bob's House of Beef....then Mama's when it was covered up...You could still see the sweet pink ceiling in the front entry of Mama's. It is in very good condition and should be uncovered and reopened...I loved that diner. BTW "Bob" also got his start at the 29 Diner before venturing out on his own.

Posted by: Diner Driver ()
Date: April 02, 2013 03:30PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> Yes, That is what was originally "The Streamliner
> Diner" from @ 1948 (owned by Bob Parcelles) built
> in NJ also...Then it became Bob's Diner....then
> Bob's House of Beef....then Mama's when it was
> covered up...You could still see the sweet pink
> ceiling in the front entry of Mama's. It is in
> very good condition and should be uncovered and
> reopened...I loved that diner. BTW "Bob" also got
> his start at the 29 Diner before venturing out on
> his own.

People would be more inclined to go to a throwback diner than whatever they decide to keep putting in that space.

Date: April 02, 2013 03:36PM

Here it is in all it's opening glory....
Attachments:
streamliner2.jpg

THIRTEEN FIFTY!!!! Oh I'm sorry but HEEEEELLLLLLLZ NO.....................
Date: April 02, 2013 03:47PM

JustanFYI Wrote:
> Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > OH MY F*****G GAWD!!!!
> >
> > LOOK AT WHAT PEOPLE WERE PAYING FOR PHONE CALLS
> > BACK THEN!!!!!!!
> >
> > HOLY bleeping bleep bleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > edit: been told to point out the prices are
> above
> > in the bottom right corner of the newspaper
> that
> > Facebook put up.
>
>
> I just ran the numbers on an inflation calculator.
> A call to San Francisco in 1961 at $1.75 is the
> equivalent of $13.59 today. That's an expensive 3
> minutes!

I missed this one earlier. Just saw it and said "OH GEEZ!" outloud and freaked everyone out LoLz. So now we all know why ppl used the mail more and why they werent inventing the internet any sooner LoLz

@Gettin - I feel ya. Still, I'd rather have some faceless corp have my statistics than the ppl I'm seeing at the Safeway every week know EXACTLY what I was saying to my friends and fam.

Date: April 02, 2013 07:53PM

From under construction to traffic jams! Sure didn't take long.

Don't think any of the pics are Fairfax county, but thought they were worth posting.
Attachments:
Shirley Highway 1949.jpg
Shirley Highway 1950s.jpg
Shirley Highway in Richmond 1958.jpg

Date: April 02, 2013 08:11PM

The bottom one looks like Richmond.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: April 02, 2013 08:31PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @Geez/Hey . maybe............ I would swear that
> place was like an old gas station building though.
> I dont recall it looking anything like that. But
> who knows.

Just Another Old Fart Wrote:
> @Zeus/Geez - That would make sense. Kaiser
> Frazier (aka KF) enventually became Kaiser Jeep
> Company, later purchased by AMC and then Chrysler.
> Farrish of Fairfax, Inc., the corporate entity
> for Farrish Jeep, was organized in October 1959.
> That's about the same time Harold Arbogast, who
> owned the old Kaiser Frazier dealership, moved to
> Florida. I don't know for certain, but one could
> reasonably speculate that Farrish started by
> buying out Arbogast.

@ Gordo

The original building on the lot on the corner of 123 & 50/29 did look like it was a gas station at one time, which is what i had always assumed until you posted the picture. I could be wrong. However, if i recall correctly, there never appeared to be an island where gas pumps would be located.

FWIW: Per the city of Fairfax RE database. The corner lot i am referring to is 10500 Fairfax Blvd, Parcel # 57 2 02 016, is currently owned by the city which acquired the parcel in 2006 from Dick Keller Enterprises, which is a car business.

Per Loopnet the building (now razed) was constructed in 1957

Posted by: GeezerDude ()
Date: April 02, 2013 08:38PM

Burke Brat Wrote:
> The bottom one looks like Richmond.

Middle one is I-395 (then Shirley Hwy, VA-350) Northbound just North of Shirlington.. Note old Gas Company/Rosenthal building on left

Posted by: zero personality ()
Date: April 02, 2013 08:51PM

Geez i'm old Wrote:
> Just Another Old Fart Wrote:
> -----
> > @Zeus/Geez - That would make sense. Kaiser
> > Frazier (aka KF) enventually became Kaiser Jeep
> > Company, later purchased by AMC and then
> Chrysler.
> > Farrish of Fairfax, Inc., the corporate entity
> > for Farrish Jeep, was organized in October 1959.
>
> > That's about the same time Harold Arbogast, who
> > owned the old Kaiser Frazier dealership, moved
> to
> > Florida. I don't know for certain, but one
> could
> > reasonably speculate that Farrish started by
> > buying out Arbogast.
>
> You're right, the corporate connection makes a lot
> of sense. Not sure about the timeline though.
>
> You said Arbogast went out in about 1959. I seem
> to remember the Farrish name on that corner, but
> as a used car lot, in the middle to late 60s with
> the Jeep francise appearing in about 67 or 68.
>
> I know Farrishes had a nice house on several acres
> at Clifton Rd. and Popes head Rd. at that time, so
> they were probably doing pretty well.
>
> I don't recall another Jeep dealership anywhere
> near Fairfax city in the 60s.

The shape of the Arbogast building jogs my memory of the American Motors Dealer at Fairfax Circle. I believe the structure lives on as the building adjacent to the Chik Fil A. American Motors was formed from the remnants of Kaiser Frazer and Nash Rambler if I recall correctly. AMC went out of business and Mazda took over the dealership in the late 70's. Mazda then moved to what is now the Kia Dealer then to What was Ted Britt Ford where it is to this day. The original Ted Britt Ford was what was the Kimel's furniture store at the foot of University Drive. The dealer as the foot of University Drive which is now Subaru was originally built as Fairfax Dodge. Before Dodge, that lot was vacant for many years and was deeply eroded by rains to the gully's were 6 feet deep. As kids we would ride our bikes to Fairfax Theatre for Saturday double features then play in those gully's on our bikes. Up the street from Fairfax Theatre was the original Vincent's Hardware. It burned to the ground in the early 60's but Vincent built "Vincent's Octagon" hardware -so named because it had 8 sides and that building is now Fuddruckers. We played Little League ball at Eaton Fields...3 dirt lots which existed where that Hotel (can't recall the name) stands now at 123 just before I-66 but Eaton Drive still exists of course. I have thousand other stories of Fairfax City...like when Dunkin Donuts on the circle was a Howard Johnson's, the Asian Market on the Circle was Top's Drive-In and when Fairfax Circle was a true "circle" -all traffic went around, not thru the circle as Fairfax Blvd does now. Been here since 1959. Yep, I'm ancient -and crochety.

Posted by: too funny ()
Date: April 02, 2013 09:06PM

Party Line Wrote:
> Anyone ever connect to a party line? I don't
> remember exactly what you had to dial to connect
> but it was something like 123-4567. This was back
> in the 70s.

I totally forgot about connecting to a party line!!!! Hahahaha, wow. I'm getting old.

Posted by: flash cube building ()
Date: April 02, 2013 09:11PM

The Flash Cube building is from the early 80s. Its at 8133 Leesburg pike. Bet it gets the wrecking ball soon.
Attachments:
flash cube.jpg

Date: April 02, 2013 09:26PM

zero personality Wrote:
> Geez i'm old Wrote:
> -----
> > Just Another Old Fart Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > @Zeus/Geez - That would make sense. Kaiser
> > > Frazier (aka KF) enventually became Kaiser
> Jeep
> > > Company, later purchased by AMC and then
> > Chrysler.
> > > Farrish of Fairfax, Inc., the corporate
> entity
> > > for Farrish Jeep, was organized in October
> 1959.
> >
> > > That's about the same time Harold Arbogast,
> who
> > > owned the old Kaiser Frazier dealership,
> moved
> > to
> > > Florida. I don't know for certain, but one
> > could
> > > reasonably speculate that Farrish started by
> > > buying out Arbogast.
> >
> > You're right, the corporate connection makes a
> lot
> > of sense. Not sure about the timeline though.
> >
> > You said Arbogast went out in about 1959. I
> seem
> > to remember the Farrish name on that corner,
> but
> > as a used car lot, in the middle to late 60s
> with
> > the Jeep francise appearing in about 67 or 68.
>
> >
> > I know Farrishes had a nice house on several
> acres
> > at Clifton Rd. and Popes head Rd. at that time,
> so
> > they were probably doing pretty well.
> >
> > I don't recall another Jeep dealership anywhere
> > near Fairfax city in the 60s.
>
> The shape of the Arbogast building jogs my memory
> of the American Motors Dealer at Fairfax Circle.
> I believe the structure lives on as the building
> adjacent to the Chik Fil A. American Motors was
> formed from the remnants of Kaiser Frazer and Nash
> Rambler if I recall correctly. AMC went out of
> business and Mazda took over the dealership in the
> late 70's. Mazda then moved to what is now the
> Kia Dealer then to What was Ted Britt Ford where
> it is to this day. The original Ted Britt Ford
> was what was the Kimel's furniture store at the
> foot of University Drive. The dealer as the foot
> of University Drive which is now Subaru was
> originally built as Fairfax Dodge. Before Dodge,
> that lot was vacant for many years and was deeply
> eroded by rains to the gully's were 6 feet deep.
> As kids we would ride our bikes to Fairfax Theatre
> for Saturday double features then play in those
> gully's on our bikes. Up the street from Fairfax
> Theatre was the original Vincent's Hardware. It
> burned to the ground in the early 60's but Vincent
> built "Vincent's Octagon" hardware -so named
> because it had 8 sides and that building is now
> Fuddruckers. We played Little League ball at
> Eaton Fields...3 dirt lots which existed where
> that Hotel (can't recall the name) stands now at
> 123 just before I-66 but Eaton Drive still exists
> of course. I have thousand other stories of
> Fairfax City...like when Dunkin Donuts on the
> circle was a Howard Johnson's, the Asian Market on
> the Circle was Top's Drive-In and when Fairfax
> Circle was a true "circle" -all traffic went
> around, not thru the circle as Fairfax Blvd does
> now. Been here since 1959. Yep, I'm ancient -and
> crochety.

holy shit!

It's Captain Ted's dealership, isnt it?
Captain Ted or Captain Bob, something like that.......had commercials where he acted like a ship captain was on all the time just like Jhoon Rhee used to be LoLz

And yeah , it became a pool place that moved across the circle, then down the street up the hill behind the Mobil that's now that new strip mall near Plantation (Anthony's Pools, maybe? I dunno)...........and the place still stands - HEAVILY remodeled however - but it's still the same structure as the old pool shop, I know that much.....................

oh wow! I think you are right! Geez? Zeus? What do you guys say?

I remember that "Octagon" being a nightclub for awhile before Fuddruckers..........and was there another short-lived restaurant chain put there before it was Fuddruckers? I may be wrong about that.............

and oh yeah, were the new hotel is - that used to be VDOT offices in the 80s. I think that's where they HQ'd til they moved to Fair Oaks - not where they are now but that office building they used to occupy behind the Fair Oaks police station offa 50.

Posted by: RowdyBurns ()
Date: April 02, 2013 09:32PM

zero personality Wrote:
>
> The shape of the Arbogast building jogs my memory
> of the American Motors Dealer at Fairfax Circle.
> I believe the structure lives on as the building
> adjacent to the Chik Fil A. American Motors was
> formed from the remnants of Kaiser Frazer and Nash
> Rambler if I recall correctly. AMC went out of
> business and Mazda took over the dealership in the
> late 70's. Mazda then moved to what is now the
> Kia Dealer then to What was Ted Britt Ford where
> it is to this day. The original Ted Britt Ford
> was what was the Kimel's furniture store at the
> foot of University Drive. The dealer as the foot
> of University Drive which is now Subaru was
> originally built as Fairfax Dodge. Before Dodge,
> that lot was vacant for many years and was deeply
> eroded by rains to the gully's were 6 feet deep.
> As kids we would ride our bikes to Fairfax Theatre
> for Saturday double features then play in those
> gully's on our bikes. Up the street from Fairfax
> Theatre was the original Vincent's Hardware. It
> burned to the ground in the early 60's but Vincent
> built "Vincent's Octagon" hardware -so named
> because it had 8 sides and that building is now
> Fuddruckers. We played Little League ball at
> Eaton Fields...3 dirt lots which existed where
> that Hotel (can't recall the name) stands now at
> 123 just before I-66 but Eaton Drive still exists
> of course. I have thousand other stories of
> Fairfax City...like when Dunkin Donuts on the
> circle was a Howard Johnson's, the Asian Market on
> the Circle was Top's Drive-In and when Fairfax
> Circle was a true "circle" -all traffic went
> around, not thru the circle as Fairfax Blvd does
> now. Been here since 1959. Yep, I'm ancient -and
> crochety

Can you recall what gas station used be, where the Fairfax Propane store is now?

a few pages before this on. There was some discussion about two gas stations that were across from each other at the Rt. 50, Rt. 29 & Rt. 236 Intersections/confluence. Are you able to recall which brand they were?

Re: ok, I'm stumped
Posted by: GeezerDude ()
Date: April 02, 2013 09:38PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> any takers on this one? looks reeeeeeeeeeeeally
> familiar but I cant get it.
>
> edit: it is or was in city of Fairfax.

Arbogast Kaiser Frasier (also sold Willys).. I believe they were located in the building next to Chick Fillet.. Sesco? or maybe where Chick Fillet is.. The building was later Binn's Rambler..

Washington Post ads for Kaiser-Frasier list Arbogast's as Rt-50 Fairfax.

Date: April 02, 2013 10:28PM

I'm thinking what you mean are chat lines. Still in existence today. I remember calling one in the 80s. And yes, they were for partying!

too funny Wrote:
> Party Line Wrote:
> -----
> > Anyone ever connect to a party line? I don't
> > remember exactly what you had to dial to
> connect
> > but it was something like 123-4567. This was
> back
> > in the 70s.
>
>
> I totally forgot about connecting to a party
> line!!!! Hahahaha, wow. I'm getting old.

Posted by: love me some roy's ()
Date: April 02, 2013 11:03PM

I can remember the Ranch House in Falls Church. We always would stop there on the way back from Dulles with the west coast relatives. The only food item I can recall was they had good bread. My grandparents really enjoyed the Hot Shoppes at 50 and Patrick Henry (which later became Little Feet teen disco and is now Mickey D's, and the S&W cafeteria in the lower level of 7 Corners.

Posted by: just people ()
Date: April 03, 2013 05:02AM

Remember this from the 1960s?
Attachments:
peoples.jpg

Posted by: zero personality ()
Date: April 03, 2013 06:07AM

just people Wrote:
> Remember this from the 1960s?

Back in the day the only place to buy school supplies was either Peoples or Drug Fair! I worked at Drug Fair from 1968 until 1971 at the University Shopping Center. Started at $1.60 and got a big raise to $1.65 per hour. I sold a ton of cigarettes at $1.65 per carton...premium brands were $1.75. A sixpack of Schlitz was $1.35. Coworker left to work for Giant and made $3.00 per hour! Some followed him but I left to work at First Virginia Bank as a teller for $1.95 per hour...and I bought a brand new Pinto on that wage...and paid my tuition at George Mason College of $240 per semester! In August 1972 I was in the very first graduation class as it became George Mason University that summer.
Grocery Stores back then...Safeway at University Shopping Center and Grand Union or Super Giant at Kamp Washington.

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: April 03, 2013 06:17AM

The bottom on is Richmond paving the James River Bridge on I-95. The building on the right is the Main Street train station which is right next to the highway. It serves Amtrak trains going to Newport News.

Date: April 03, 2013 08:24AM

blanche is right! I love that old train station! - best part about going down 95 is seeing that thing.............at least till you get to Dillon, that is LoLz

and if you look at the pic in the middle you can see that W&OD train crossing that I freaked out about all those weeks ago :)

about Kamp Washington. Only gas station I know was the Exxon that was on the Northern Corner south of the shopping center - between the intersection and the Goodyear. They renovated the building and now it's a couple of retail shops - but it's still the same building.

And of course everyone knows that the Gym/Office Depot used to be Best Department Store.

does anybody have any Capt Ted ads/pics/etc? Cant find any at all. But yeah, I'm pretty sure Geezerdude and zero are right about that K-F dealership being next to the Chick-Fil-A

Date: April 03, 2013 12:03PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
>
> But yeah, I'm pretty sure
> Geezerdude and zero are right about that K-F
> dealership being next to the Chick-Fil-A

I vaguely remember taking a Datsun 2000 on a test drive in about 1968 from a Datsun dealer located near where that Chic Fillet is located now. ( Datsun became Nissan a couple years later.) That might have been the old K-F building.

The 2000 was a realy neat (and fast) car.

Date: April 03, 2013 12:44PM

someone's gotta have more on this dealership....................they had commericals on all the time............

Posted by: Alex Treebark ()
Date: April 03, 2013 01:28PM

Speaking of old local car dealers, trivia question...

Without Google (yeah right, I know you're going to cheat anyway), for what other reason was the Ourisman Chevrolet "You always get your way" girl in the news?

Posted by: VAcirca97 ()
Date: April 03, 2013 01:29PM

Love this thread. Moved to VA in 97, Annandale in 05, but I'm a huge history nerd, so I am enjoying seeing all the old pictures.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: April 03, 2013 02:04PM

Alex Treebark Wrote:
> Speaking of old local car dealers, trivia
> question...
>
> Without Google (yeah right, I know you're going to
> cheat anyway), for what other reason was the
> Ourisman Chevrolet "You always get your way" girl
> in the news?

Wasn't the woman who starred in those commercials the mother of someone involved in something out in Hollywood?

`
Date: April 03, 2013 02:10PM

`

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2015 07:59AM by WingNut.

Date: April 03, 2013 02:34PM

@Gorden, Are you sure you are not thinking about TEXAS Ted Britt? Wacky cowboy..."bring in a horse and I'll take as a trade in" His dealership opened in 1959 at the previous mentioned Mazda location.

Posted by: Alex Treebark ()
Date: April 03, 2013 02:34PM

WingNut Wrote:
>
> Her daughter was the victim of rape by Roman
> Polanski.
>
> She is public with the fact and has no problem
> with it being disclosed, or I wouldn't mention it.

Right. Her name is Susan Gailey.

She was quiet about it for a long time.

Somewhat surprisingly so was the media for the most part, I suppose because it involved a minor.

But she's talked about it more in recent years.

PH2008061800921.jpg

Post "Whatever happened to..." article from a few years back:

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2008-06-18/opinions/36864287_1_samantha-geimer-roman-polanski-hbo-documentary

Posted by: Brittman ()
Date: April 03, 2013 02:36PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> @Gorden, Are you sure you are not thinking about
> TEXAS Ted Britt? Wacky cowboy..."bring in a horse
> and I'll take as a trade in" His dealership opened
> in 1959 at the previous mentioned Mazda location.

Do the Britt's still have that big white house in FFX City behind the CVS on 123?

Date: April 03, 2013 03:31PM

It's funny when My stolen pictures find their way to Facebook. LOL. The 7-11 pic. was from 64 Annandale YB. The first Starvin Marvin pic. was from 79 Jefferson YB.
Attachments:
starvin marvin 002.jpg

Date: April 03, 2013 03:57PM

@sleepy- no, this is different. DEFINATELY a Datsun dealer. and DEFINATELY a boat-type captain. I'm so sure of this I'd bet five............no TEN internetz on it LoLz

Date: April 03, 2013 04:23PM

FWIW, it looks like a "lot" w/various buildings on what is today the CFA site. Aerials only show 2 rectangular buildings on the SE side of the Circle from the early 60s on...

Date: April 03, 2013 04:30PM

@Gorden....OKAY...You are right w/ both names....and you owe me...Bob Tedd Datsun...Fairfax. My Dad's friend bought one in 69...gave it to me in 82...Crazy!

Date: April 03, 2013 05:54PM

@sleepy - been trying all day to find ANYTHING on that place lol - no luck so far. Capt Tedd is my new white whale, it looks like LoLz

Date: April 03, 2013 06:42PM

ROBERT V TEDD (BOB TEDD MOTORS INC) Guessing the same person but look at this, no wonder Poloticians are so corrupt.

1985 / 1986 Contributions:

JOHN T JR HAZEL (ATTORNEY), (Zip code: 22030) $1000 to REPUBLICAN PARTY OF VIRGINIA on 04/10/86

HERBERT N MORGAN (ATTORNEY), (Zip code: 22030) $1000 to REPUBLICAN PARTY OF VIRGINIA on 04/04/86

REBECCA P OWENS (RETIRED), (Zip code: 22031) $750 to NATIONAL REPUBLICAN CONGRESSIONAL COMMITTEE CONTRIBUTIONS on 02/20/85

JIM SPARLING (US HOUSE OF REP), (Zip code: 22032) $1600 to NATIONAL REPUBLICAN CONGRESSIONAL COMMITTEE CONTRIBUTIONS on 01/22/85

Mr. JAMES M SPARLING (US HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES), (Zip code: 22032) $1000 to NATIONAL REPUBLICAN CONGRESSIONAL COMMITTEE CONTRIBUTIONS on 11/20/85

JOHN T JR HAZEL (SELF-EMPLOYED), (Zip code: 22030) $500 to REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE - CONTRIBUTIONS (AKA REPUBLICAN NATIONAL FINANCE COMMITTEE) on 01/14/85

MARIE B HENDERSON (RETIRED), (Zip code: 22032) $500 to REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE - CONTRIBUTIONS (AKA REPUBLICAN NATIONAL FINANCE COMMITTEE) on 03/28/85

MARIE B HENDERSON (RETIRED), (Zip code: 22032) $500 to REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE - CONTRIBUTIONS (AKA REPUBLICAN NATIONAL FINANCE COMMITTEE) on 05/22/85

Mr. JOHN T JR HAZEL (HAZEL BECKHORN AND HANES), (Zip code: 22030) $1000 to REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE - CONTRIBUTIONS (AKA REPUBLICAN NATIONAL FINANCE COMMITTEE) on 04/03/86

Mr. RAY WEEKLEY (TURFGRASS GROWER), (Zip code: 22033) $500 to REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE - CONTRIBUTIONS (AKA REPUBLICAN NATIONAL FINANCE COMMITTEE) on 05/28/86

MARY KIPP, (Zip code: 22033) $1000 to REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE - CONTRIBUTIONS (AKA REPUBLICAN NATIONAL FINANCE COMMITTEE) on 07/12/85

MARIE B MRS HENDERSON, (Zip code: 22032) $1000 to REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE - CONTRIBUTIONS (AKA REPUBLICAN NATIONAL FINANCE COMMITTEE) on 08/12/86

ROGER L MOZINGO (THE TOBACCO INSTITUTE), (Zip code: 22030) $500 to TOBACCO INSTITUTE POLITICAL ACTION COMM on 10/22/85

JOHN T HAZEL (HAZEL, BECKHORN & HANES), (Zip code: 22030) $1000 to FEDERAL COMMERCE & INDUSTRY PAC OF THE GREATER WASHINGTON BOARD OF TRADE on 02/15/85

JOHN T HAZEL (HAZEL PETERSON COMPANIES), (Zip code: 22033) $1000 to FEDERAL COMMERCE & INDUSTRY PAC OF THE GREATER WASHINGTON BOARD OF TRADE on 02/14/86

Mr. JOHN T JR HAZEL, (Zip code: 22033) $1000 to DNC SERVICES CORPORATION/DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL COMMITTEE on 12/11/86

ALBERT FOX (RILEY & FOX INC), (Zip code: 22030) $500 to COMMITTEE FOR SAM GIBBONS on 07/11/86

HERBERT N MORGAN, (Zip code: 22030) $5000 to CAMPAIGN FOR PROSPERITY on 09/09/86

JOSEPH R THEISMANN (WASHINGTON REDSKINS), (Zip code: 22030) $1000 to CITIZENS FOR JACK KEMP on 07/02/86

http://www.city-data.com/elec2/elec-FAIRFAX-VA.html

Date: April 03, 2013 06:52PM

@burke - gotta pay to play LoLz

1977 if you gotta know
Date: April 03, 2013 09:23PM

dammit still no capt tedd :(

but here's Main Street USA for ya :)

edit: man...........when did that hardware store go outta business? And I bet seeing Alibi's is sparking some memories LoLz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2013 09:25PM by Gordon Blvd.
Attachments:
6445277035_5dd0ee1636_b.jpg
6445276435_d5ac37c55b_b.jpg

Date: April 03, 2013 09:57PM

still not finding my white whale....

but here's a pic of Lincolnia in what, I guess it's 1864 or something I dunno.................

edit - dig it! the mcdonalds has the old school arches coming out the top of the building!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2013 09:59PM by Gordon Blvd.
Attachments:
6047217149_4d52127e1b_b.jpg

Date: April 03, 2013 10:04PM

`
Date: April 03, 2013 10:05PM

`

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2015 07:59AM by WingNut.

Date: April 03, 2013 10:40PM

A few more churches, I posted a recent pic of the Lot for Pohick/Accotink Church a few pages back.
Attachments:
C2-F Accotink UMC.jpg
C2-B Cranford UMC.jpg

Posted by: Old Dude ()
Date: April 03, 2013 10:57PM

WingNut Wrote:
> @GB- Great Lincolnia pull.
>
> This obviously before the shopping center on the
> south side of 234 was even a thought, and when
> Landmark Plaza was about half done. I am guessing
> this is from the early 70's before the high rises
> in the West End really sprang up.
>

A little earlier I think. I'd guess mid-late 60s. Most of the construction on "Shirley Highway" with those new-fangled cloverleafs and all was finishing up by about then. I remember going to a girlfriend's apartment behind what would become some of the shopping center on the opposite side of 236 probably around 72-ish and it wasn't brand new then.

The long side of Landmark Plaza has been the same forever. All they did was to add the two rows that run perpendicular at the ends.

> 236 around 395 is such a cess pool now, I would
> rather skip rope to Baltimore than sit thru the
> light at Beauregard or go to any of those stores
> there.

Uh huh, that intersection has been a nightmare forever. lol

Total Wine is the only reason to go there and I usually go in the back way.

Posted by: Kings Parker ()
Date: April 04, 2013 05:13AM

I thought this postcard was kind of cool. Why do they call it "The inn with the British accent"?
Attachments:
holliday.jpg
holiday2.jpg

Date: April 04, 2013 07:27AM

@kings park - now THAT'S pretty weird, isnt it? LoLz

@Old Dude/Wingnut - area sure has changed, eh?
Attachments:
6047769614_202b4d541b_b.jpg

Date: April 04, 2013 07:31AM

I'm guessing whoever took these pics musta been up in the Key or something - wow..........imagine what that place looked like when it was new LoLz.

Check it! No flyover ramp for the mall no van dorn interchange either

HEY KIDS!! you cant really tell from this pic, but Landmark Mall was NOT a mall at this time - was more of a Town Center. The converted it to a mall in the mid-late 80s.

and what's REALLY funny is they will prolly switch it back to a town center LoLz
Attachments:
6047220157_46ec6517fa_b.jpg
6047773384_c41a571d91_b.jpg

Date: April 04, 2013 07:40AM

speaking of malls.....................
Attachments:
1988.jpg

Date: April 04, 2013 07:49AM

still looking for anything Capt Tedd related LoLz

found this one for y'all Restonites tho............ - dont know if this particular one has been put out there yet - looks like they were just putting the place up in this one
Attachments:
6018654868_7a28a89243_b.jpg

Posted by: enufalredi ()
Date: April 04, 2013 08:26AM

Ol' Capt'n Bob was a true character. He was a rather successful Rambler dealer @ that location. Later switched to Datsun. He sold his point to the Brown organization for a BUNCH of money.

The Cap'n other passion and interest was the restuarant business. He was the money man behind a number of now great FFX upscale eateries.

Those of us who knew the Cap'n from a business perspective rarely saw him without a briefcase stuffed full of cash. His theory: always be prepared to seize the moment with the help of some cold, hard cash.

I was a generation or so younger than he. So I didn't know him that well. But all of my older car dealer colleagues in Northern Virginia could tell you some great Cap'n Bob stories. He was something of a legend in his day.

Quarles Gas
Posted by: One-Way ()
Date: April 04, 2013 08:29AM

The original building on the lot on the corner of 123 & 50/29, beside Ranch House, was a Quarles fuel depot. It was not a gas station, rather a very small fuel storage and distribution point for Quarles.

The nick name of the Ranch House next door was "Roach Coach."

Does anybody remember "The Big House," a flop house behind Ranch House where several people lived? You could always count on there being some sort of a party going on there. I remember going to several grain parties there.

one oh five oh nine!!!! LoLz
Date: April 04, 2013 08:47AM

@One Way - that place became MyPlumber's HQ for awhile til they moved out to Manassas. Just a parking lot for overflow from Brown or McKay I think

um...............I mean I dont know what place you are talking about, Officer ;)

Date: April 04, 2013 08:50AM

Jess1 Wrote:
> Speaking of BT Motors, they owned the plane that
> landed on I
> 66...http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&da
> t=19730201&id=Jr8QAAAAIBAJ&sjid=HIsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=18
> 28,79872

A little off topic but coming from that link you put up, the last article in that paper was about corn production in the USA, They put numbers of 5.4 billion Bushels of corn from 72 million acres. Looking up 2000 statistics I found 10.4 billion bushels coming from the same acreage. Its neat looking back to 1973 and seeing the difference in the world around us with the stories they printed. Especially since I was only 7 at the time. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&dat=19730201&id=Jr8QAAAAIBAJ&sjid=HIsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1828,79872

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2013 08:51AM by Burke Brat.

Date: April 04, 2013 08:53AM

@enuf...What restaurants did Capt Bob bankroll?

Re: one oh five oh nine!!!! LoLz
Posted by: One-Way ()
Date: April 04, 2013 08:57AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @One Way - that place became MyPlumber's HQ for
> awhile til they moved out to Manassas. Just a
> parking lot for overflow from Brown or McKay I
> think
>
> um...............I mean I dont know what place you
> are talking about, Officer ;)

Which place are you talking about? "The Big House"?

Re: Quarles Gas
Posted by: Kings Parker ()
Date: April 04, 2013 09:36AM

One-Way Wrote:
> The original building on the lot on the corner of
> 123 & 50/29, beside Ranch House, was a Quarles
> fuel depot. It was not a gas station, rather a
> very small fuel storage and distribution point for
> Quarles.
>
> The nick name of the Ranch House next door was
> "Roach Coach."
>
> Does anybody remember "The Big House," a flop
> house behind Ranch House where several people
> lived? You could always count on there being some
> sort of a party going on there. I remember going
> to several grain parties there.

I thought the fuel place was Southern States.

Posted by: kol ()
Date: April 04, 2013 12:19PM

Burke Brat Wrote:
> a little off topic but coming from that link you
> put up, the last article in that paper was about
> corn production in the USA, They put numbers of
> 5.4 billion Bushels of corn from 72 million acres.
> Looking up 2000 statistics I found 10.4 billion
> bushels coming from the same acreage. Its neat
> looking back to 1973 and seeing the difference in
> the world around us with the stories they printed.
> Especially since I was only 7 at the time.
> http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&dat=197
> 30201&id=Jr8QAAAAIBAJ&sjid=HIsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1828,79
> 872

Ever heard of Monsanto and their genetically modified "Frankencorn".

Trust me, you don't wanna know.

Pages: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 145

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.