HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
AAA Trash Company Imposters
Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: June 09, 2008 06:57PM

Just got a recorded message from AAA Trash saying that there are people going door to door saying AAA Trash is going out of business and asking for personal information to switch to a new carrier. This is false

AAA Trash company said these are imposter's and they are not going out of business.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AAA Trash Company Imposters
Posted by: Snap ()
Date: June 22, 2008 07:22AM

I just had a door-to-door salesman who said he was from the American trash company visit and try to get us to switch to them, at a lower rate than AAA. American is a real company that some people use that I know. (Though I would also call American to make sure this guy is really their employee before I did anything.)

I mentioned that message to him. He says that it's a dirty trick that AAA is playing on them, to scare people from switching. He said that American is trying to get a hard copy of the message (a tape I guess?) for their lawyers and all, and they'll pay $50 for it.

Posted by: VeryNewbie ()
Date: June 22, 2008 10:02AM

AAA Trash seems to think the "own" Fairfax County when it comes to waste management. What's wrong with legitimate competition who can offer
lower rates than AAA? AAA has raise rates more often than hookers can
lift up their skirts.

Posted by: coffin ()
Date: June 22, 2008 10:24AM

The cycle continues....

When I bought my house 20 some years ago, the two trash companies were Waste Management (dark red cans) and BFI (blue cans). AAA came in and undercut them big time and before you knew it there were green cans (AAA) all up and down the street.

Then, of course, when AAA had almost all the market, their prices started going (way) up.

Now we have American going after AAA...competition is a great thing!

Posted by: MaryC ()
Date: June 22, 2008 10:51AM

coffin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Now we have American going after AAA...competition
> is a great thing!

How much cheaper is American, compared to AAA?
Thanks! :)

P.S. if I cancel AAA and switch, will AAA send
its crew to harrass me?

Posted by: Mike Sorce ()
Date: June 22, 2008 12:28PM

I think the difference between AAA and American was about $12 per quarter. We reduced our trash bill further by opting for collection once a week (Friday) instead of the default Tuesday/Friday pickup. We still get recycling on Tuesday and yard debris on Wednesday.

Even as a family of four we rarely fill the trash container on a weekly basis, so this works pretty well and I think that it saves another $5-7 per month. Granted, these are not huge savings, but we made a bunch of small changes (e.g., removing Verizon phone features, dropping HBO from Cox, changing our auto insurance optional coverage) to save about $300 per month.

Date: June 22, 2008 12:46PM

Mike Sorce Wrote:
> I think the difference between AAA and American
> was about $12 per quarter. We reduced our trash
> bill further by opting for collection once a week
> (Friday) instead of the default Tuesday/Friday
> pickup. We still get recycling on Tuesday and
> yard debris on Wednesday.
>
> Even as a family of four we rarely fill the trash
> container on a weekly basis, so this works pretty
> well and I think that it saves another $5-7 per
> month. Granted, these are not huge savings, but
> we made a bunch of small changes (e.g., removing
> Verizon phone features, dropping HBO from Cox,
> changing our auto insurance optional coverage) to
> save about $300 per month.

Yes, I've often wondered why most people would need twice a week trash pick-ups. Heck, I could get away with every other week.

I even have a widow next door that puts her trash (maybe 1 small bag a week) in my toter. It makes no sense for her to pay for trash service on her fixed income and with the tiny bit of trash she generates.

I'll bet these trash companies are really in a squeeze these days with the price of fuel....they must go through massive quantities of diesel!

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 22, 2008 04:39PM

Is there a limit on how many cans you can put out? Id go for the once a week trash and put out 1 or 2 cans each time. I have neighbors that put out 2 or 3 trash cans 2 times a week. How? SOme dont recycle, but even then

Date: June 22, 2008 05:43PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> Is there a limit on how many cans you can put out?
> Id go for the once a week trash and put out 1 or 2
> cans each time. I have neighbors that put out 2 or
> 3 trash cans 2 times a week. How? SOme dont
> recycle, but even then

You don't have a toter?

Toters are great, and not just for trash! I collect antique outboard motors, and I fill my Toter up with water and use it as a "test tank" whenever I want to test-run one of my motors. Handy as hell!

Date: June 23, 2008 05:43PM

I was offered $69 for American compared to about $90 for AAA.

Oh, so there's a thing called a "toter." Whenever I call in to AAA I used to think they were mispronouncing "tote or a bin."

Posted by: strat ()
Date: June 25, 2008 03:09PM

AAA has improved a bit, but I could believe them pulling a stunt like that.

When I moved to Fairfax, the previous owner used Garcia's - a fine service. Then AAA bought them and dumped my trash all over my yard, so I switched to BFI - about as reputable as anyone can be in the commercial side of the business.

Then AAA undercut them and I'm stuck. They've improved, so I can't complain too much, just be wary if you ever ask them to price a special pickup. It's.. byzantine.

The real fun started when people in our neighborhood compared rates. Talk about standard deviations! They were all over the map.

If your association hasn't negotiated a rate, you might want to compare notes with your neighbors and see what the range is.

Posted by: strat ()
Date: June 25, 2008 05:44PM

Heh. Someone must be reading FU over at AAA, because I just got an automated call telling me how happy they were I was a customer, that they have some "rewards program" (on which they're presumably spending marketing money, rather than cutting our rates), and other "news".

I detest automated telemarketing, so it's not a point in their favor. Those of you wishing to avoid such calls should keep an eye out for 1-866-849-3243.

Posted by: ADS Customer ()
Date: June 25, 2008 11:20PM

American Disposal Services is a great company and is cheaper than AAA. You should sign up with them, they are family owned and operated and have great service. Just make sure you ask to see a solicitors license if they come to your door and it should say the employer name on the badge so that will save you a phone call to verify employment...

Posted by: littleoldlady_not ()
Date: June 26, 2008 03:26PM

I'd love to save a few buck a month on trash pick-up... (currently have AAA)

unfortunately, I've been calling ADS everyday since last Thursday. Each
time the recording sayid there were 5 to 15 customers ahead of me. Sometimes
I just put it on speakerphone and wait, and sometimes I enter my call back
number. The shortest I've waited on hold was 45 minutes before finally giving
up. As for the three times I left call back numbers, they never called me
back....

their website at www.american-disposal.com doesn't have an email I address
that I write to....

any help appreciated!

ADS Customer Wrote:
> American Disposal Services is a great company and
> is cheaper than AAA. You should sign up with them,
> they are family owned and operated and have great
> service. Just make sure you ask to see a
> solicitors license if they come to your door and
> it should say the employer name on the badge so
> that will save you a phone call to verify
> employment...

Posted by: Al ()
Date: June 26, 2008 03:52PM

Hi there my name is Al and I am a rep for American Disposal Services. If you want to email me at cyrus813@gmail.com I will be happy to call you get you set up. Thank you.

Posted by: AustinFalls ()
Date: June 29, 2008 09:45AM

Just an FYI, AAA will charge you $45 to pickup your 96 gal. tote and recycle bin. $25 to pickup the stuff and $20 to sanitize it. Basically it's a goodbye screw-you fee. Of course if call them and say you want to cancel, they will match the American Disposal fee of $69 a quarter for a whole year.

Posted by: bookfish ()
Date: June 29, 2008 03:39PM

AustinFalls Wrote:
> Just an FYI, AAA will charge you ........ $20 to sanitize it.

my AAA toter is very clean and doesn't smell like a trash can on the inside... I always double-bag all my trash with 3mm-thick contractor-grade black plastic bags. on the other hand, double-bag with 3mm bags will probably cause all my trash to still be around in the year 2058.... :(

Date: June 30, 2008 05:40AM

AustinFalls Wrote:
> Just an FYI, AAA will charge you $45 to pickup
> your 96 gal. tote and recycle bin. $25 to pickup
> the stuff and $20 to sanitize it. Basically it's a
> goodbye screw-you fee. Of course if call them and
> say you want to cancel, they will match the
> American Disposal fee of $69 a quarter for a whole
> year.

Is that legal, is it in the contract or something? If not, why not just refuse to pay?

Date: June 30, 2008 11:16PM

According to the Fairfax`County Consumer Protection Office it's legal. AAA filed a letter of intent to charge the fee last summer and they have the fee information buried on their website under Customer Standards - Service Cancellation.

Date: July 07, 2008 05:01PM

You can clean it and drop it off to AAA in Fairfax and they will not charge you. Sure they will match the price but why even go with them if another company is offering that to you first? American has lower annual increases as well...

Date: July 08, 2008 08:52AM

I did clean and drop off my tote and bin and they still charged me the sanitation fee of $20. Why go with AAA? That's easy, you're already a customer with them, so avoid the hassle of switching to another carrier, you come out even in the end. Not everyone has the time or vehicle to haul their stuff back to AAA, so they'll have to pay the full $45. If you do the math, any extra increases from AAA the second year after your $69 a quarter deal expires won't equal $45. Also, American Disposal said they would cancel my service with AAA and they never did. Luckly I followed up or else I would have been paying for service from two trash companies. Avoid the hassle, stay with whomever you're with, call every year and say you're going to cancel, see how long you can keep getting the $69 deal.

Posted by: FromNorthSpringfield ()
Date: July 08, 2008 12:19PM

I naively thought the transition from AAA to ADS would be smooth, given ADS offered to submit my AAA cancellation. after the ADS service started I left my AAA can and recycling bins out front as both ADS and AAA recommended. after a week or so the can was taken, but the recycling bins were not. I just called AAA - a couple more weeks afterwards - and they say my service has not been canceled. as for the trash can disappearance, the woman first said maybe it was broken (if so, why didnt they replace it or inform me?), then said maybe it was stolen, since I didnt see who took it. riiiight...

I called ADS, and here is the scoop: AAA returned hundreds of signed cancellation requests ADS sent them, with a letter stating that they no longer accept mailed cancellations. neither company bothered to inform the customers. ADS claimed they were just too many people to contact in time before their AAA service was supposed to be over.

Date: July 08, 2008 02:03PM

what is the replacement cost of lost AAA trash carts, assuming one stays with AAA? I know its $100 to replace a cart if it cannot be returned upon cancellation, but what if one gets a replacement and continues the service?

Posted by: taxpayers ()
Date: July 08, 2008 04:23PM

One of my kids asked where you put dead animals or birds today. Where do they go?

The big triple a green things don't dump well. It used to be 2 times a week then they went to once but only cut the bill a little bit. mybe 3-5 dollars. This was a few years ago.

We once had neighbors who chainsawed a sofa so it could go in the trash-different trash company. AAA took a sofa on my street whole and it went into the regualr truck.

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: July 08, 2008 04:26PM

FromNorthSpringfield Wrote:
> what is the replacement cost of lost AAA trash
> carts, assuming one stays with AAA? I know its
> $100 to replace a cart if it cannot be returned
> upon cancellation, but what if one gets a
> replacement and continues the service?

nothing -at least it used to be nothing. we had ours replaced a while ago and they showed up with one with weird crud in it - I got another from them.

How many recycling things do you have from them?

Date: July 08, 2008 04:49PM

taxpayers Wrote:
> One of my kids asked where you put dead animals or
> birds today. Where do they go?

hmm good question. the link below is for a Fairfax County PDF brochure. it has some info, but I think it only covers small pets and road kill. I would call an animal shelter or vet for disposal of dogs & cats.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/animalservices/pdf/your%20pets%20and%20the%20law.pdf

back to AAA:
I have two recycling bins, which they replaced for free long ago when they disappeared (strong winds have blown them quite far on occasion, and maybe a neighbor assumed they were orphaned).

Posted by: Mary H. ()
Date: July 10, 2008 03:41PM

We switched to American Disposal after AAA's prices kept increasing. Now they are $110.00 per quarter as opposed to American's $69.00. AAA also called us to intimidate us. They also said that they would be picking up the toters and bins two weeks ago Thursday, but, as yet have not come. Their customer service is obnoxious, so I am very happy we switched. Since they do not seem to want to pick up their toters, I have contacted the Better Business Bureau to say we are no longer responsible for their cans.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 10, 2008 03:57PM

we just buried ours in the backyard, hopefully archeologists will find it in 500 years and think we were crazy cat worshipers.

AAA Trash Company Monopoly
Posted by: Majestic Lane ()
Date: July 11, 2008 12:23PM

Switched to ADS about a month ago when two guys came around.
Saving about $30/month.
Transition was not as smooth as ADS promised. I had to call and cancel service with AAA. Was a week late getting the new ADS 96 gallon toter.
AAA picked up their old toters as scheduled by me.
They now billed us for this bull@#$@ $45 dollar charge. I feel this is the cost of doing business and agree with the earlier poster that it's a screw you fee for leaving.
I'm not going to pay it.
County Supervisor's office says it's legal to charge and there is no regulation of these companies.
It's not the money, its the principle.
This should be fun

Posted by: larry ()
Date: July 15, 2008 10:24PM

I experienced the same thing. I called American Trash to cancel my trash service because they were not able to cancel my AAA trash service as promised. I was told the sales represenative will call me. Until now, I have not receive any call back from a supervisor or from the sales representative. For the meantime, the two companies are servicing me. Of course, I will pay for only one. As far I am concern, my contract with American Trash is null and void for failure to cancel my AAA service.

Posted by: StinkyTrashOutFront ()
Date: July 16, 2008 10:04AM

We canceled AAA July 1 and didn't start a new service (decided to take trash to dump on our own instead). Our can is still sitting out at the curb with stinky trash in it. They never bothered to take it away one last time. No way I'm bringing it back up by the house. We were paying AAA $113 per quarter, more than all our neighbors. After 14 years, the can is unusable by another customer (the bottom is about to fall out and the lid is cracked in half), so I'm thinking I will just take it to the dump. They'll have to come after us for their stinkin' $45.

Date: July 16, 2008 12:20PM

Leave it on the street. Its not yours. If anyone complains, it is not your property that is stinking up the street.

Posted by: snowdreems ()
Date: July 20, 2008 11:38PM

One of the things I like about living in the town of Herndon is that they pick your trash up and you don't pay extra for it. It is in your taxes. They do a good job. large pick- ups are extra.

Posted by: abunchofwhinnners! ()
Date: July 20, 2008 11:43PM

yeah i agree that is annoying that people are acting like they are AAA.... I have gotten many calls from AAA thanking for my busines and i think it is to combat this imposter situation. However one of the biggest money makers from business andrew carnage used techniques like this to take out the competition. SO i see why they would attempt that

Posted by: minerva a.bagang ()
Date: July 24, 2008 12:27PM

Snap Wrote:i would like to have a vin for recycle items,thank you.add:13902 big yankee ln.centreville va.20121
> I just had a door-to-door salesman who said he was
> from the American trash company visit and try to
> get us to switch to them, at a lower rate than
> AAA. American is a real company that some people
> use that I know. (Though I would also call
> American to make sure this guy is really their
> employee before I did anything.)
>
> I mentioned that message to him. He says that it's
> a dirty trick that AAA is playing on them, to
> scare people from switching. He said that American
> is trying to get a hard copy of the message (a
> tape I guess?) for their lawyers and all, and
> they'll pay $50 for it.

Date: July 24, 2008 04:32PM

It looks like if you complain to the County, AAA will waive that bullshit $45 "reconditioning" fee.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/consumer/IQext/csd_acs.asp?byletter=Y&lookup=3431&lastset=A&detail=Y#legend_place1

But hey, like I said earlier...I've seen this all before. American Disposal might even be operating at a loss to grab market share. They might want AAA to buy them out. Or they might want to buy AAA out after they grab most of their customers.

One thing's sure, that $69 deal will only last until the "winner" emerges. Then prices will head up. With diesel near $5 a gallon and County landfill fees going up all the time....I bet ADS is operating at a loss.

But, might as well save a few bucks while you can...I switched to ADS!

PS: I wonder if ADS is stealing AAA's drivers too? There is not an endless supply of beaners with enough brains to get a CDL.

Posted by: Patton ()
Date: August 05, 2008 08:39AM

To really save money do the following:
1. Separate your items into biodegradable, recyclable, and trash.
2. Mulch your biodegradables in the back yard.
3. Take the rest to the dump yourself.

Benefits:
1. If you fill up about three bags per month, it will only cost you about $54 a year or less (take them to the dump in sets of 5 for $6 per trip, or in sets of 10 for $9 per trip).
2. Recyclables are accepted for free.
3. The mulch will help your garden.
4. You don't have to rely on these unreliable services.

Posted by: cosmic.artifact ()
Date: August 05, 2008 10:55PM

Hi my name is Juan Noingles, Can pick up clean and return tote bins to AAA for fraction of cost, family hungry $20 USD !

HAHAHAHA !!!

it would'nt suprise me :)

Posted by: Patton ()
Date: August 11, 2008 11:05AM

That's pretty offensive. Anonymity should be no excuse not to keep the forum dignified.

It doesn't matter if you clean the bins yourself, AAA still wants to clean the bins themselves and will still charge the $25 to do it.

Posted by: RatherNotSay ()
Date: September 02, 2008 09:51AM

I hope AAA Trash goes out of business!!! THEY ARE HORRIBLE!!! They keep raising their prices outrageously almost every quarter!!! The latest bill, they just raised it another $13+ dollars!!! Call another trash company get a quote and AAA will meet that price. At least you think they will. We got a so called credit of $53 dollars off in order to meet a competitors price. We then called them later to discontue their service and now they will NOT HONOR THEIR CREDIT!!!! They charged us $25 to drop off the recycle bins and now they want to charge us another $45 dollars to pick up their bins. We wanted to apply the $53 dollar credit and they won't allow us to use it!!!

Date: September 29, 2008 02:44PM

Hi my name is Al Faro with American Disposal Services. During these tough economic times we are offering a lower rate for new customers. If you would like to sign up please email me at cyrus813@gmail.com or call me at 703-489-3085. I will be happy to provide you with a quote. Thank you.

Date: October 01, 2008 07:38PM

There's a phone number on my trashcan that says American is at 703 368 0500.

Date: October 02, 2008 11:09AM

Great observation! 703 368 0500 is the main number, 703 489 3085 is my cell number. I am rarely in the office.

Posted by: OMG ()
Date: October 04, 2008 09:08PM

Gmail? Don't you have a domain?

Al Wrote:
> Hi my name is Al Faro with American Disposal
> Services. During these tough economic times we are
> offering a lower rate for new customers. If you
> would like to sign up please email me at
> cyrus813@gmail.com or call me at 703-489-3085. I
> will be happy to provide you with a quote. Thank
> you.

Date: October 05, 2008 10:59PM

Its obvious he's one of the impostors.

Posted by: mark ()
Date: November 20, 2008 06:08PM

I changed from AAA to American and I've discovered that American Disposal Services is much worse. First, they lost my check that I wrote to start services which resulted in my having to pay a $30 cancellation fee. American would not cover this expense nor would they give me any credit. Second, they do not follow a reliable schedule for pickup.

Posted by: dono ()
Date: November 22, 2008 11:30AM

When we moved here we started with AAA. After a few years, American came along with a better price. When we left AAA they gave us a lot of grief. Said we owed them money for their trash cans (false all we needed to do under our contract was return them - we did that). They kept threaten us with collection attempts saying our credit would be damaged.

American is a good service. I will never go back to AAA

Posted by: Sue ()
Date: December 04, 2008 03:16PM

When I called American, which some of my neighbors use, they quoted me the same price as AAA. I may be in the minority here, but I've had no problems in the recent past with AAA and find their services have greatly improved.

Date: December 04, 2008 03:32PM

Lurker.. Wrote:
> Just got a recorded message from AAA Trash saying
> that there are people going door to door saying
> AAA Trash is going out of business and asking for
> personal information to switch to a new carrier.
> This is false
>
> AAA Trash company said these are imposter's and
> they are not going out of business.

Hell with all of them
Posted by: Doug Gleeson ()
Date: July 14, 2009 10:07AM

I say to he ll with them all. We use a company called Outsider's Property Maintenance. They pick up my trash everyweek on time, they never make a mess and clean up trash off the ground left by scavenger animals. All I d did was eamil and ask them if they served my area. They told me yeh and the rest is history. I asked the owner why he doesnt advertise here, he said because the competition are cut throats and he doesn't want to be in the same cataegory as them. Now thats funny sh**!!! OH! the website is www.outsiderspropertymaintenance.com.. take a look! AAA and American SUCK!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Frustrated Trash User ()
Date: September 08, 2009 11:28AM

I switched to American because they were literally half the price of AAA. Out of the clear blue sky they are trying to charge me $45 to pick up the old bins. I disputed that amount with them and in the meantime they came and took the barrels not giving me a chance to return them myself. I have contacted Fairfax County Consumer protection but I expect no results given some of the posting above. But I will not pay this.

Oh, and now they have sicced a "collection" company on me... Nice guys...

Posted by: Snapple ()
Date: September 08, 2009 11:46AM

I've heard reports of zombies roaming the streets and searching people's trash for brains.

Posted by: Les ()
Date: September 08, 2009 11:55AM

I thought this thread was about the burglars who were scouting homes disguised as AAA employees.

AAA Container Reconditioning Fee
Posted by: Trashman ()
Date: November 01, 2009 10:59AM

I entered into an oral contract w/ AAA trash in July 2006. AAA trash told me what the service fee per month would be and also told me there were some other monthly fees. I agreed to the terms they quoted since they were the only trash company serving my area. At the end of the phone call I asked if I would receive a written contract in the mail and they told me "no." I cancelled service 1.5 years later and they tried to bill me a $45.00 "container reconditioning fee" that I never agreed to. I didn't pay it based on the fact I didn't agree to it in my oral contract with them. AAA replied by citing a bogus Fairfax County ordinance they claim gave them the right to unilateraly change the contract terms by sending out a periodic "Service Standards" flyer. After looking at the statute, I found it did no such thing. I told them their response was B.S. AAA turned the matter over to a collection agency. I sent AAA and their collection agency a letter telling them they actually owed me money because I cancelled service one day prior to the quarter ending (I previously pre-paid for the entire quarter). Thus, AAA needed to send me $1.24. AAA continued with their B.S. assertion that I owed them a container reconditioning fee minus the credit on my account. I sent a demand letter and AAA did not reply. So, I filed a case for breach of contract (warrant in debt) in small claims. AAA didn't show up so I received a default judgment for $1.24 plus court costs against them. Bottom line is that people do not need to submit to these unfair/fraudulent business practices that AAA engages in. If you are going to cancel trash w/ AAA then it serves well to have a credit on the account. That gives a person a way through the court door to collect that amount and obtain a judgement to demonstrate to anybody who matters that no valid debt is owed to AAA after service cancellation. That judgement can be produced to anybody who matters (i.e. collection agencies, credit bureaus, etc). Small claims is no big deal either. It is a Judge Judy type forum where you show up, bring your evidence, and tell your story.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.