HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Eastern Fairfax General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
anyone know about the old landfill at the end of eisenhower ave?
Posted by: slowcar281 ()
Date: July 27, 2013 06:15PM

i work in construction and we are excavating at 330 hoofs run drive in alexandria. there was the go kart track and a thrifty car rental there before.

this place used to be a big landfill, and i was wondering if anyone knew when it was last active? i cant seem to find anything about it on the internet.....

about 40 feet down we have dug up tons of old tires, most are bias ply and some even have tubes.i have found tons of coca cola bottles that look like they date back to the 60s. i even found a few bottles of some soda called "crass"..... apperantly it was made my coca cola just for a few short years.

they must have let people dump anything they wanted there. we have pulled up complete rear axles from cars that still had the wheels attached at the ends..... even dug up a few telephone poles. what suprises me that they let people dump all this stuff so close to the water, because that dirt is extremely contaminated now.

so does anyone have any info on this place? even the engineers who work on the job dont know when it operated as a landfill or when it closed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: anyone know about the old landfill at the end of eisenhower ave?
Posted by: No Shit..... ()
Date: August 12, 2013 11:12AM

Before becoming a landfill the Alexandria sanitation plant was located there.
Acres of treated waste was left to dry and decompose.
Tires should be reported to the EPA.

Posted by: couchman ()
Date: September 19, 2013 03:51PM

I dumped a couch there about 1972. I think it closed right after that. The police station (now Sheriff's office) and that long building were built on it not to long after that. They both started sinking almost immediately. That long
building was condemned for 10 years to see if it would continue sinking.

Posted by: couchman ()
Date: September 19, 2013 08:08PM

Municipal Land Fill Sites
Closed municipal landfill sites are areas of po- tential concern only if improperly disturbed. Four abandoned municipal landfill sites are located within the City boundaries. One site, located on the west side of Hooffs Run near the Beltway, has
been partially remediated as a result of the Carlyle development project. Other landfills are located on the east side of Hooffs Run at the Alexandria Wastewater Treatment Facility, in North Old Town (centered around Montgomery Street, First Street, Pitt Street, and Royal Street) and the northeast corner of the City bordered by Commonwealth Avenue, Four Mile Run and Route 1. These sites are protected by a 1,000-foot potentially hazard- ous area management area and are monitored by the Department of Transportation and Envi- ronmental Services.
Other Hazardous Contamination Sites
As Alexandria continues to develop and rede- velop, it is likely that vestiges of Alexandria’s industrial past will continue to be discovered. The Department of Transportation and Environ- mental Services has the primary responsibility for addressing problem sites through the devel- opment process.

Posted by: hardworker ()
Date: November 08, 2013 03:15PM

As I recall,

back in the beginning of the 1970's it used to be a huge junk\scrap yard.

Posted by: slowcar281 ()
Date: November 11, 2013 08:40AM

Well it seems that y'all are right on point as this being a metal scrap yard at one time. A lot of metal was found buried beneath the dirt as well as more tires with most of the rims still attached. The excavating at the site is mostly done and they got past the trash but it looks like a lot of contractors dumped there since there are a lot of bricks and concrete cylinders that were dug up as well.
There was also a ton of rebar buried also. Almost like a bed of it. A new addition is what is being built for the sanitation plant currently. There also was a Vulcan concrete plant here that was operational till just a couple of years ago before the excavation began

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2013 08:55AM by slowcar281.

Posted by: bitd ()
Date: June 23, 2014 06:49PM

There was a huge scrap metal reclamation facility there. The last time I used it personally was roughly 88-89 or so. It was closed down soon after that and that's about the time Eisenhower Valley started getting built up. I remember the go-kart track at the end near the city as well. That was fun! There was another building not too far away from there that had a chimney out front that was burning off gas of some sort. It was pretty impressive at night. And if I recall my history correctly, that area was also home to one of the colonial horse racing tracks.

Posted by: Kurt Cousins ()
Date: September 22, 2014 10:54AM

Wow...what a game

Posted by: tireman ()
Date: August 03, 2023 01:18PM

It was called a dump back then.In the 70's the power company was dumping transformers filled with kepone there! They changed the name to landfill and restricted what you could dump.The reason all the tires are there is because the scrap yard located where the federal courthouse is now would not take junk cars with tires so they ended up at the dump.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.