HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Annandale :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Volunteer First Responders
Posted by: ThOr101 ()
Date: October 20, 2006 11:02AM

So we have had the first responders over to our house twice, and they were just across the street last night. These ladies and gentlemen are so nice and do a great job. Does anyone know how we might be able to help them out?

Do they need anything for their firehouse. Food? Stuff? DVDs / Movies?

I realize there are volunteer drives to get money for the firehouse and equipment, I'm just wondering what else can be done.

Cheers!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Volunteer First Responders
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: October 20, 2006 01:08PM

Down at the firehouse, they liek to party. Frequently the cops roll by with all the repossessed drugs, and they have a big public service bash. Sometimes the 5-0 brings by a car or two and they set them on fire just for the hell of it, to liven up the party.

Nobody smokes dope like firemen... they put the rest of us to shame.

Date: June 15, 2007 06:09PM

Make no mistake, Thor. All of Fairfax County, along with the towns of Vienna and Herndon are protected 24 hours a day and 7 days a week by the paid professionals of the Fairfax County Fire & Rescue Department... not volunteers. I know that some of the fire engines, ladder trucks, ambulances and rescue squads say 'xxx Volunteer Fire Department', but greater than 95% of the time, when you see that piece of appratus, only the paid professionals of Fairfax County Fire & Rescue are on board. Fairfax County says that they have 300+ operational volunteers (volunteers that are qualified and actually do staff emergency apparatus). I can only speak for the station where I work, but I see the same 5 volunteers maybe once a week... usually for only 12 hours. Some stations have few operational volunteers and just as few administrative volunteers.

The fire truck may say volunteer, but that fire truck is maintained, fueled, staffed, equipped and partially purchased by Fairfax County tax dollars.

Welcome to one of the largest myths in Fairfax County public safety.

If you want to help the real responders out, call you Board of Supervisors member and Chairman Connoly and tell them that you are appauled by the fact that Fairfax County is the only municipality in the nation protecting a population of greater than one million citizen that staffs their ladder trucks with less than 4 firefighters. Here we are being one of the wealthiest counties in the US and we staff our ladder trucks with 3. This translates to a significant and unnecessary risk to the firefighters and also delays our two main goals in any structure fire; life safety and property conservation.

Click on the link for a video produced by the Fairfax County Professional Fire Fighters and Paramedics illustrating the problem to the Board of Supervisors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_K-K6o5cGc

Stay safe and be educated.

Date: June 15, 2007 06:12PM

Another thing that can be done is to feel free to come by the firehouse, any firehouse in Fairfax County, and just say 'Thanks'. We would love to show you around and tell you a bit about what we do.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 16, 2007 01:04AM

I have always found the firehouses around here to be very welcoming, I agree on that.

I didn't know that about volunteers, I thought the volunteers were more numerous, but mostly just gave support at the sites that did not involve firefighting. I thought only a few volunteers got to actually dive into the fire, so to speak.

Posted by: Unit 8 ()
Date: August 20, 2019 04:47PM

12 year bump.

Posted by: Unit 8 ()
Date: August 23, 2019 05:36AM

Bump

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.