HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Annandale :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What are the actual city lines?
Posted by: j123 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 11:28PM

I live in Fairfax City and don't go into Annandale very often. Whenever I make it down that way, I take Little River Turnpike, passing the NOVA campus on my right. I'm curious where the city of Annandale actually begins - is it before or after the campus? I always notice the many signs that Fairfax City has around its boundaries, and know that going towards Annandale, there's one near the Chucky Cheese. However, I assume that there's a bit of county land between where Fairfax City ends and Annandale begins. I don't know whether there's a "Welcome to Annandale" sign or not, but I've never managed to notice one. The only thing that's ever caught my eye is a small sign a little way past the campus, that if I remember correctly, says something along the lines of "Welcome to Downtown Annandale". But would that mark the actual *city* lines, or just the beginning of the "downtown section"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are the actual city lines?
Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: July 26, 2015 01:13PM

There is no city of Annandale or even a town. There is an Annandale postal district, and there used to be an Annandale electoral district, but for the most part Annandale is an area which grew out of an early village.

The traditional heart of Annandale is the area where Annandale, Road, Ravensworth Road, Backlick Road, Columbia Pike and 236 all came together. That meant that Fuddruckers, and before it 3 Chefs were in the center of Annandale. Northern Virginia Community College is west of what was traditionally considered Annandale. My guess is that it is within the Annandale postal district.

Posted by: j123 ()
Date: July 26, 2015 04:59PM

Ah, okay - that would make sense. I was driving over there again today, and realized that the sign does not in fact say "Welcome to Downtown Annandale", but rather, "Welcome to Annandale Village Center". So would that likely mark the formal boundary lines of the "village", even if some things outside of those lines (like the campus) are within some sort of less formal postal district?

Posted by: Tiger_Bliss ()
Date: October 13, 2015 01:21PM

Use GOOGLE maps and type in the name of city or town of interest. It will show the boundaries and the region.

Posted by: Tiger_Bliss ()
Date: October 13, 2015 01:23PM

Here is Annandale region for example:
Attachments:
Annadale.pdf

Posted by: Pat Oz ()
Date: November 07, 2018 11:45AM

Hi there,

I am not sure if you check this or not, but would you please reply back to my email and tell me what was there before Annandale NOVA campus?

Thanks,

Pat

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.