HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Vienna :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Do vienna police stop crimes?
Posted by: vienner ()
Date: July 23, 2010 05:07PM

So in recent years, we've seen a huge increase in the police department here in Vienna. They seem to be geared mainly toward traffic offenses, with their low-profile lights. It would seem to me that the only crime that happens in Vienna that doesn't involve bored teenagers is bank robberies, as the banking sector is gradually taking over all of Maple St. I wonder why the VPD doesn't have a larger anti-bank-robbery-unit presence, and does anyone know of an instance where the vienna police have actively stopped or prevented some sort of crime, or effectively tracked down the culprits after the fact?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do vienna police stop crimes?
Posted by: I read the internet so you don't have to ()
Date: July 29, 2010 01:32PM

Pretty much everything the Vienna police do gets reported in the weekly highlights they post on the internet. Lots of domestic disturbances, traffic offenses, countless reports of items stolen from unlocked vehicles, and the occasional major crime. They often report how their police work led them to track down and arrest the perpetrator of a crime. The highlights are posted at:

http://www.viennava.gov/Town_Departments/police_vpd_highlights.shtm

The greatest report ever involved a woman who called the Vienna police to complain that the DMW had sent her a sticker with an equals sign on it when she renewed her vehicle registration. The report detailed how the police patiently explained to her that if she rotated the sticker 90 degrees, the equals sign would be transformed into the number 11, and she could put it on her license plate.

Read and enjoy. It's like watching Cops commercial-free.

Posted by: wtf ()
Date: July 30, 2010 12:38PM

I checked out that website and the first thing I saw was:

Suspicious Event 10-6652
Navy Federal Credit Union
820 Follin Lane, SE
June 22 12:24 a.m.
A woman called police to report having fallen down some stairs at the facility.
Attempts to locate the woman were negative. Locating and tracking technologies were
employed using her cell phone and it was eventually determined that the caller was fine
and at her home.

"locating and tracking devices were employed" LOL

Posted by: Jamie ()
Date: July 30, 2010 10:13PM

I have the Vienna Police Dept. site referenced above linked as a favorite. It makes for great late-night reading for shits and giggles!

In addition to the infamous "11" story, my other favorite "crime report" from the site mentioned a Vienna resident driving by her house and was alarmed to see "Police Line - Do Not Cross" or some such tape all around. There were also many cars around her house that she thought did not belong. She got the VPD involved and they investigated and solved the supposed "crime" - there was a surprise party for the lady being held at her house in her HONOR. Dork!

Posted by: Nova_lifer ()
Date: September 10, 2010 02:01PM

Do you read the police reports posted online? After being a victim of a crime I read through all these reports through this summer and I was shocked by how much crime there was. Reports of groups from DC stealing bikes and cars throughout neighborhoods late at night made my street think more about how we protect our property and families. I'm not a police hugging citizen who organizes neighborhood watches but I'm not going to bash them either.

Posted by: Vienna res ()
Date: September 14, 2010 10:27PM

The vienna police helped us with an internet sale where the seller didn't send the items (good chunk of $)- we had tried all the major state attny and govnt channels- we called ffx cty and were told we had to call the town of vienna police since we live in the town and it's their jurisdiction. frankly we were bummed we had to deal with what we though was "mayberry"- but they kicked butt- threatened to arrest the guy and we got our money back 3 days after they took action. We had tried the other channels for 5 months with 0 results and just standard letters saying they tried to contact the person. The police also have a nice offering of securing child seats - helped me in the early stages with our 2 kids- always with a smile and they spent a lot of time making sure that seat was bolted. frankly very impressed and pleased.

Posted by: reporter ()
Date: September 20, 2010 03:09PM

Hey Vienna Res, I've been trying to do a story about scamming crimes, as they've been increasing here lately (all over the police reports that were mentioned earlier). Is there a way I can get in touch with you? I've been having problems finding people who have been victims of scamming crimes. E-mail me at viennavapatch@gmail.com

Posted by: Viennese ()
Date: December 14, 2011 12:44PM

Posted by: strat ()
Date: December 18, 2011 05:00AM

Is the guy who crushed the police cars in that database?

Date: December 18, 2011 08:44AM

Animal Case 11-10328
200 Block Park Terrace Court, SE
June 27 11:26 a.m.
A citizen reported that a squirrel was refusing to get off of the top of his truck tire

MPO Sheeran was able to convince the squirrel to leave the area and he scampered off into a wooded area.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: Bugsy ()
Date: December 19, 2011 10:39AM

Vienna's the kind of town that knows how to keep secrets, see, and we don't want no gumshoes nosin' around.

Posted by: Con ()
Date: December 19, 2011 10:16PM

Here's the scoop...
1. Vienna residents pay Fairfax AND Town of Vienna (TOV) taxes.
2. When Town of Vienna police need help (k9, chopper, backup). Fairfax responds.
3. Last I heard, Vienna had 40 sworn officers and 10 full time support staff.
Thats 50 f/t officers, staff, equipment, property we need to pay for to
Patrol 4 square miles. 50!
4. Let's just say we disbanded the TOV police department and gave fairfax the
police station.
A. Do you think they would need the building. No.
B. do you think they would have to add 50 staff? Not a chance!
The TOV PD does a good job and are good people. The problem is (and nobody seems to want to bring it up) is they are a duplication of effort and Vienna residents are paying for it. The TOV PD is a HUGH part of the towns budget. In these difficult times, does this make any fiscal sense?
I've worked in several companies that have merged with other companies. When there is a duplication of efforts, for example two accounting departments, it doesn't make fiscal sense to keep both departments...somebody has to go.
I live close to some friends that live 4 blocks outside of Vienna...guess what. They don't have a crime problem any different then my street. When they call the police, they get a quick response from Fairfax PD.
Why then do the TOV residents pay hundreds of thousand dollars to keep a police department that could be effectively and efficiently handled by Faifax Police. We are already paying for them.

Posted by: So you can get a ticket! ()
Date: December 20, 2011 08:29AM

We have our own police force and pay the extra taxes so that one motorcycle cop with the mustache can give you a ticket for doing 7 over on nutley or lawyers.

Posted by: Yellow Ribbon ()
Date: December 22, 2011 09:37AM

That motorcycle cop with the mustache..what's his deal? Luckily, I've never dealt with him, but I've seen him lurking around, and he definitely seems to emit an asshole vibe...

Posted by: Electra Glide in Blue ()
Date: December 22, 2011 11:44AM

Speaking of motorcycles, I'm delighted that the Vienna police got all new Harleys, courtesy of taxpayers, in spite of the fact that the "old" bikes were only a few years into their service life and in absolutely no need of replacing...

Whatever the police want...it's just money...

Posted by: Alexander Smith ()
Date: December 23, 2011 11:12PM

Yellow Ribbon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That motorcycle cop with the mustache..what's his
> deal? Luckily, I've never dealt with him, but
> I've seen him lurking around, and he definitely
> seems to emit an asshole vibe...

You see him on Lawyers every now and then. He looks like a complete asshole and saw him pull someone over for just speeding a few miles over!

Posted by: E-Tuff ()
Date: December 25, 2011 11:21AM

the ffx co police(among a fuckload of other areas) are there to take the remainding areas of vienna that area not classified as "town of vienna" but still are part of vienna itself.
basically once you're past wolftrap elementry/ past meadowlark/ other things. I've had nothing but good experiences with TOV cops. the thing is they're seen to be "camping out" all the time when in reality theres just not that much space they can cover, in terms of juresdiction.

A lot of the petty crime is people coming off the W&OD trail and trying to snag shit out of cars, take gps's, stealing bikes. luckily its few and far between.

Posted by: melondave2003 ()
Date: December 30, 2011 06:41PM

I'm very interested in what you've come up with in the last year and whether you have come across a fellow named Mueller.

orter Wrote:
-

------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Vienna Res, I've been trying to do a story
> about scamming crimes, as they've been increasing
> here lately (all over the police reports that were
> mentioned earlier). Is there a way I can get in
> touch with you? I've been having problems finding
> people who have been victims of scamming crimes.
> E-mail me at viennavapatch@gmail.com

Posted by: hahahaha ()
Date: March 14, 2012 11:12AM

Suspicious Event 12-03413
800 Block Hunter Court, SW
Between February 28 at 9:00 p.m. and February 29 at 8:00 a.m.
A citizen reported that during the listed times unknown subjects smeared what appeared to be
feces over the air vents of his vehicle.

Posted by: swole toke ()
Date: May 02, 2012 01:15AM

no their just a bunch of fat ass pizza eating pigs

Posted by: pro feeder ()
Date: February 08, 2013 01:59PM

Long story short: no the VPD does not fight or try to fight real crime.

Short story long:
I used to manage the Pro Feed that in on 123 right across the street from Jammin Java. We had a lady come in and write us false checks. She had stolen them from a lady in alexandria and wrote us bad checks from this lady's account. She would bring the product back and say she did not need it and return the goods for cash. She was a nice lady, very friendly that worked at a vet clinic. She had hit the other Pro Feeds in alexandria, VA and DC, so when she came wanting to return everything I knew it was her and not to give the cash back. Played stupid, and got her name and a fake cell number to give her store credit.

Called the Vienna Police, gave them the story, the check, her name and cell phone number. The woman's name was Carmina Lopez. When I told that to the police, they said there must be a thousand of them and its no use looking her up. After the police decided they did not want to do anything I decided to give it at lease a Fairfax Underground run though to see if "Carmina Lopez" may have had a history... http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/cgi-bin/arrestsearch.cgi?field1=lopez&field2=carmina&field3=&field4=&field5=&field6=&field7=&field8=&field9=&field10=&field11=&submit=search

did she ever have a record. i called the police back, told them I had done their work for them. they came back with a bunch of pictures and told me to point out "Carmina" I did and they said they could now get a warrant for her arrest and if she came back call.

Was it really that hard to run a name in the database. Thats why you have it VPD. Lazy, fat, pieces of shit cops just give people speeding tickets to raise their daily stress levels until people just POP! Fight real crime VPD.

Anyway, she came back the next day, I called the police, they came and arrested her and when they ran her ID she had other warrants for her arrest for the same thing all over Virginia.

Should the VPD have the budget they do NO! Should they run a name when someone has been a victim of a crime. YES! Real criminals being taken off the street, simply by FairfaxUnderground.

Posted by: chief powatan ()
Date: February 05, 2014 04:04AM

This is completely irrelevant but. Im inferring that the police departments enlist new types of vehicles every 7 years...

Posted by: Vienna's Inn ()
Date: April 29, 2014 08:45PM

This is completely irrelevant but. Im inferring that the police departments enlist new types of vehicles every 7 years...

What?

Posted by: Of course they do ()
Date: July 13, 2014 01:05AM

What's that logo painted on the side of Vienna cop cars?

Keeping mattress stores safe since 1900

Posted by: Box Spring PD ()
Date: August 08, 2014 08:59AM

The mattress store owner's spoiled kids get away with murder in this town...the cops won't touch them...DWI? Drugs? Running down a pedestrian? A few calls are made, some money changes hands, and everyone sleeps nice and easy..

Posted by: the truth2 ()
Date: December 05, 2014 09:32PM

Like every other police dept. the town of vienna cops are just armed tax collectors. After recent national events I'm patiently waiting for them to start shooting dogs and murdering unarmed people because they might have had a weapon or may have posed a threat.

Police are just as bad as the criminals we pay them to protect us from.

Police are the enemy.

Posted by: powers450 ()
Date: July 20, 2015 05:35PM

I can say that the Vienna Police have apprehended a few criminals in the past 15 years. They were able to charge a man with grand larceny for stealing a leaf blower, they caught a guy that made a false report to the police. I also heard that they made a marijuana bust a few years back and that a man was arrested for stealing an orbital buffer from a garage. I am not certain they have mastered crime prevention just yet, but we can hope that they have left room in the budget for this. They could possibly set up a crime prevention unit on Orrin St. Se. which was the location of the 9/11 hijackers safehouse. Not a sermon, just a thought.

Posted by: tax justice ()
Date: March 03, 2016 07:57PM

Con Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's the scoop...
> 1. Vienna residents pay Fairfax AND Town of
> Vienna (TOV) taxes.
> 2. When Town of Vienna police need help (k9,
> chopper, backup). Fairfax responds.
> 3. Last I heard, Vienna had 40 sworn officers and
> 10 full time support staff.
> Thats 50 f/t officers, staff, equipment,
> property we need to pay for to
> Patrol 4 square miles. 50!
> 4. Let's just say we disbanded the TOV police
> department and gave fairfax the
> police station.
> A. Do you think they would need the
> building. No.
> B. do you think they would have to add 50
> staff? Not a chance!
> The TOV PD does a good job and are good people.
> The problem is (and nobody seems to want to bring
> it up) is they are a duplication of effort and
> Vienna residents are paying for it. The TOV PD is
> a HUGH part of the towns budget. In these
> difficult times, does this make any fiscal sense?
> I've worked in several companies that have merged
> with other companies. When there is a duplication
> of efforts, for example two accounting
> departments, it doesn't make fiscal sense to keep
> both departments...somebody has to go.
> I live close to some friends that live 4 blocks
> outside of Vienna...guess what. They don't have a
> crime problem any different then my street. When
> they call the police, they get a quick response
> from Fairfax PD.
> Why then do the TOV residents pay hundreds of
> thousand dollars to keep a police department that
> could be effectively and efficiently handled by
> Faifax Police. We are already paying for them.

Hallelujah. Someone gets it.

Posted by: PoorInVienna ()
Date: November 08, 2016 02:14PM

Vienna PD only has 2 jobs

1: Traffic Tickets
2: Catch the Rich White Teenagers and get them home safe before real police pick them up and actually arrest them.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.