HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Vienna :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Getting through Vienna-Oakten every night
Posted by: RaginCajun ()
Date: March 20, 2007 11:35PM

Does anyone know what has changed in the last 2 months in Vienna and Oakton? Have the light timings changed, are there sudddenly 5,000 more cars dropped on to 123, what the hell? It used to take 15 mintues to get from Tyson's to 66 on 123. It's now 40 minutes on a regular basis. Maddening as hell!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting through Vienna-Oakten every night
Posted by: Hambone ()
Date: March 26, 2007 07:31AM

RaginCajun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know what has changed in the last 2
> months in Vienna and Oakton? Have the light
> timings changed, are there sudddenly 5,000 more
> cars dropped on to 123, what the hell? It used
> to take 15 mintues to get from Tyson's to 66 on
> 123. It's now 40 minutes on a regular basis.
> Maddening as hell!

Might be the construction they're doing along side 123 by Hunter Mill Rd. The light at Germantown rd also clogs things up, especially when Flint Hill school lets out.

I'd suggest hanging a left on Nutley St in Vienna (by the Tequila Grande) and getting to 66 that way. Try and avoid the Oakton stretch at all costs.

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: March 27, 2007 12:21PM

123 has always been a fly trap, but now it seems like a bailout route for people stuck on the beltway. 495 has gotten so bad that ppl would rather put up with 123 than that crap. I recommend the backroads if you have to go through there.

Re: Getting through Vienna-Oakton every night
Posted by: RaginCajun ()
Date: March 29, 2007 01:22AM

Makes sense with the beltway. I go into Tyson's a bit later than most 10-10:30am and even at that late rush hour there is usually a big jam from 123/Nutley to the beltway. It's 50/50 whether I bail at 123/Nutley or go all the way to the beltway depending on how slow we are creeping along.

I took some back roads through Vienna the other night and saved me a whopping 3 minutes. Guess I'm just screwed!

It's as if 50,000 new cars were dropped on area roads since Christmas. Every night is worse than it was at the peak of Xmas season.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 29, 2007 06:11AM

Interesting to note that the total population for the area is actually going down...

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: May 02, 2007 11:32AM

I'd avoid Vienna and just take 50 or 29. They have a lot of lights, but you don't have to worry about low speed limits and Vienna's Nazi-ish police ticketing you.

Posted by: Dadam ()
Date: April 06, 2008 04:18PM

Oakten?

Posted by: geo1 ()
Date: April 11, 2008 09:18PM

it probably more cars because of the drug deals goin on at oakton five more busted today.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.