HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax City :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Anyone remember the Cool Airplane at Van Dyke Park Playground?
Posted by: Laura ()
Date: December 11, 2010 09:16PM

I grew up in Fairfax during the 70's and wonder if anyone else out there remembers the cool 2 seater airplane that used to sit on the playground at Van Dyke Park in Fairfax. My sister and brother and I always loved playing on it. They had metal steps that you could climb to go and sit in the cockpit and you could have fun looking at all the real dials and switches. It was awesome and I fondly remember playing in it. Unfortunately over time vandals torn open the bottom of the plane and tore it apart..after awhile the park authority deemed it unsafe to play in and it was sadly removed from the park. I think it would be great to hear from anyone else who remembers playing on this airplane and if anyone has any pics of it, it would be awesome to see them. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone remember the Cool Airplane at Van Dyke Park Playground?
Posted by: Wannabe Jet Pilot ()
Date: December 12, 2010 07:29AM

That thing was the best and, if I am not mistaken, it was an F-86. I thought it was the coolest thing ever and loved climbing all over it. Hadn't thought about that in forever.

Posted by: Wannabe Jet Pilot ()
Date: December 12, 2010 07:32AM

Couldn't find a picture of the one at the park, but did find a general picture of an F-86 here: http://www.myfreewallpapers.net/vehicles/pages/f-86-sabre.shtml

Posted by: TESTIMONIAL ()
Date: December 17, 2010 09:16AM

Vondari Racing Team Truck Finds a New Garage

So we all know winter is here, and our reports tend to be sporadic at times until the springtime. That’s just the nature of a seasonal sport.

Those of you who know the Vondari family also know that racing is what drives us and we do our best to promote motorcycle road racing in the best way that we know how.

Well, if racing is what drives us, what about what we drive? We surround ourselves with certain things that we claim “we couldn’t live without†like cell phones, computers, and cars. Cars are simply a part of the American fabric these days – for a lot of people, what we drive is what defines us. For a lot of people, too, a car is just another modern day tool that we have to rely on to make ends meet.

However you feel about your car, when was the last time you got outstanding service – the kind of service that leaves you feeling confident about your car and one less thing to worry about? That happened to me, and I really feel compelled to tell folks about this experience.

I have a lot of pet projects. My biggest one is my ’89 Suburban sittin’ on 35s. Don’t laugh, it’s my dream car. Before I committed to getting any work done on this project, just like anyone else I did my research on shops to decide where to take my baby. The main concern was finding a shop that was going to exceed my expectations, not just meet them.

What were my criteria? Passion, pride, honesty, commitment, attitude, and creativity. My main concern was that I wanted someone who was passionate about what they do. Passion is what drives our race team, passions are what drives anyone to do their best – passion is what defines us as human beings. I wanted someone who takes pride in their work and won’t settle for second best. Honest work is always needed. Are they committed to not only doing their best but being the best and standing by their work? Does the shop represent itself with a professional attitude that I would feel comfortable recommending to my mom? And for a restoration project, I want a shop full of ideas and creativity, allowing me to make my own decisions, not force me to do what everyone else does.

In short, I wanted someone that wasn’t just going to work on my dream car but someone who would invest themselves in the project, who can claim part ownership of it – meaning that it’s my truck, but it’s also theirs in a way when it’s at the shop.

I ended up at Bubbas East Coast Rods and Customs. My time there was nothing less than stellar. I witnessed one of the most professional set-ups as a whole that I have seen in a long time shop – clean, free of debris and possible hazards. Professional appearance of the technicians, great professional attitude. I even caught them paying attention to the little details by wiping down finger prints and polishing up the bits that nobody will probably ever see. That’s going the extra mile. The staff was patient, understanding, and able to communicate clearly any complex problems and procedures.

As for the cars? Man they were awesome. By far some of the cleanest I’ve ever seen, inside and out.

I know Vondari Racing is all about motorcycle road racing, and that will never change because that’s our passion. But because of my experience at Bubbas and what I’ve personally seen there, I’m posting this up because I really feel that everyone should have a shop or garage that they can trust and that has their best interests in mind.

So either mild or wild, the next time you need help with your car give Bubbas a call, or better yet stop by and check them out.

Cheers,

Constantine

Posted by: Laura ()
Date: December 19, 2010 01:19AM

Hey Wannabe Jet Pilot,

Thanks for your comments..and for sending the pic of the F86!! It was great to see and it brought back some very happy childhood memories! Glad to hear other people out there still remember that old airplane as fondly as I do.
Thanks a bunch for your comments and for sending the pic!

Happy Holidays!

Laura :)

Posted by: Photo Search ()
Date: December 19, 2010 08:03AM

http://ask.metafilter.com/14293/Help-me-find-old-military-hardware-on-playgrounds

>>> "When I was a kid, my playground (Van Dyke Park in Northern, VA) had a
>>> decomissioned military jet (T-133) in the playground..."

everystockphoto_912449_l.jpg

[that image is NOT from Van Dyck Park, BTW]

Kinda different than a f86:

F86Banking20DegreesLeft.jpg

Posted by: embarrassed ()
Date: March 09, 2011 06:23PM

I was the one responsible for the plane leaving.....my mom sent me up into the thing after my brother .....and I got stuck inside of it . Vandals didn't cut it open .....the fire dept did. The plane was sitting such that the tail was near the ground so kids could climb into it and look out the nose. Inside was a fairly large smooth sheetmetal cavity . It was unfortunately too tight for me as I turned around to climb down and I got hung up . Was just a kid and still get the willies in elevators that remain shut too long or in other tight spaces.

Name withheld out of embarrasment .....

Posted by: Bridget ()
Date: December 14, 2011 08:54PM

I LOVED playing in that! The hole in the bottom was there the whole time I went to John C. Wood, or until 78 or 79. I can't believe they let us play in that thing! Wish someone had a pic!

Posted by: Yo Daddio ()
Date: January 31, 2012 11:43AM

I remember that. Also, there was one a lot like it at Cabin John Park over in Maryland.

Posted by: Mark T. ()
Date: December 26, 2012 02:56PM

I thought it was a bigger plane, a B-47 ? My memory is fuzzy on that, but I do remember the sharp pieces of aluminum. I too, crawled inside of it. THere was also the rocket ship slide next to it, with the stairs that went to the cone at the top.

Hey Bridget - I went to J.C. Wood also from 76-77. Had Mr. Strouth for 6th grade.

Mark

Posted by: ffx old timer ()
Date: April 06, 2013 05:49AM

I remember the jet. I think it was placed there about 1969/70.

I also went to JC Wood and had Mr Strouth for 6th Grade 67-68.

We used to like to make fun of his full name; Clester Leroy Strouth.

He was one of the better teachers.

Posted by: Fairfax City 1 ()
Date: April 07, 2013 07:42PM

I also had Mr. Stroooouth (best deep southern draw)in sixth grade. I never got the vulcan nerve pinch for misbehavior though.

I would place the plane being installed in the park around 1972 or 1973. I remember peeking out the window on a snowy day wondering what they were doing. There was a rocket next to the plane and we would go out for recess and play there.

Posted by: 80s kid ()
Date: June 05, 2013 11:54AM

I only have a fuzzy memory of the plane, I think I was real little when it was there. However, I have clear memories of the rocket that was there about the same time. The rocket was my favorite, but I remember going all the way to the top was a little scary because it would wobble a little if you tried to shake the rocket. Not at Van Dyke Park, but I recently found photos and stories of the dinosaur in front the Smithsonian Natural History Museum that you could climb. I really loved that dinosaur and we would go into D.C. at least once a summer to see the Smithsonian museums. I found out the dinosaur has a name, Uncle Beazley, and is still around, its now in the National Zoo, but you can't climb on it anymore. Oh for the days of when you could climb on stuff and play in the street.

https://www.google.com/search?q=uncle+beazley+smithsonian&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=gz-vUfuEMMTp0AGEvIGICw&ved=0CHAQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=775#facrc=_&imgrc=V594DbBPqc83EM%3A%3BHDXBnNqoo_Sl9M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ffarm4.staticflickr.com%252F3149%252F2549302619_bbb8f24afb_z.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.flickr.com%252Fphotos%252Fthemosleyvault%252F2549302619%252F%3B640%3B456

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2011/02/16/133806945/uncle-beazley-is-on-the-move
Attachments:
Uncle Beazley dinosaur from Smithsonian.jpg

Posted by: Danville Resident in Burke ()
Date: August 02, 2014 02:34AM

I Hate That Park! My family decided to Have a Nice Picnic at Van Dyke Park. We went and it was Filled with Indians Arabs and Mexicans... We found a couple of Picnic Tables under the Large Picnic Area/roof by the Playground... A Mexican Came and told us to Leave cause he "rented" the place out for a Fiesta and we left.. We ended up sitting In a Gazebo by the Tennis Court, It was quiet, Down the hill, there were 500-900 Arabs Having a "Family Picnic" and there was loud music and cars and I sure did see a sign that said no Cars Allowed.. I decided to go to the Playground (by the skate park) It was nice, The Picnic area was half filled and I just let that slide. I heard cursing from Teenagers and I also saw at Least 5 kids get Hurt from the Circle Spinning thing, 150 Immigrants Crammed into that thing that could hold 10 people that got pushed by 5 Teenage Boys that didn't Give A Fuck... Hated it there..

Posted by: FRS ()
Date: August 05, 2014 02:56PM

Well, that about sums up what Fairfax and that entire area has become. I have fond memories of growing up in NOVA, greatly enjoyed the stories of plane and the rocket slide that I remember spending many hours playing on and in. I go back to the area for meetings now and it really breaks my heart how over developed it has become....lord they have even overrun Leesburg, Gainesville and Warrenton with the building and sprawl. So glad someone remembered the jet....I found this blog doing a search about that plane! Times may change but the memories are very sweet.

Posted by: Vlb ()
Date: October 13, 2015 05:02PM

I'm so glad I found this post. I too remember the plane and rocketship slide.
Although I never got to go down the slide. My older brothers (8 yrs older). Would shake and rattle the thing and I was too scared. I also never went I to the tube part of plane although I always wished I did. I guess I was anywhere from 4-8 when I went the most. Back in 70s. But growing up in NOVA there are so many things I remember.

I've lived in AZ since 85 and am planning a trip back in the next few years. And was wondering if the plane was s there to take a pic by it.
Thanks for posting what happened to it.

Posted by: Playground pilot ()
Date: October 16, 2016 06:11PM

I too fondly remember both the plane and the rocket. As someone else already said, the plane was a two-seater, a trainer, a T33 maybe. It had two control sticks, which of course moved together. They probably should have disconnected the sticks from each other. One reason was, if a kid was in each seat, there would often be a struggle for control of the sticks. Another reason was there was a mean thing you could do: push the stick all the way forward, wait a little bit for the other kid to get bored, and start playing with the cool dials maybe, and then you suddenly pull back on the stick hard as you can and maybe catch the other kid leaning forward, and he gets smacked in the face with his stick.

Posted by: BombSquad ()
Date: March 06, 2017 08:48PM

I was at the park one night hanging out with my friends, sometime in the mid 70's, when a car pulled in and parked. 2 guys got out and went up to the plane and spent a few minutes there. they then got in their car and drove to the entrance to the park and just sat there. we went over to the plane where they were fooling around. once we got up to the plane we could see smoke coming out of the little hole on the side. we thought they had set a fire, but when we looked inside, there was a fuse in a jar burning. we remembered having a pair of scissors in the car, since we had been working on the car earlier in the day. someone ran back and cut the fuse. we then jumped in the car and chased it down towards Fairfax high school, while someone else called the police. unfortunately, the car we were chasing was the same model as ours so the police ended up pulling us over and the other car got away. the police came and took the bomb but thought we were just playing around. even though we personally knew some of the Fairfax city police, they didn't believe us so didn't pursue it any. we search all the apartments at Fairfax circle and later found the car, but city police still didn't believe us, so that was the end of the story. sadly if the bomb had gone off it would have been in the papers and a completely different story.

Posted by: Bill 67 ()
Date: May 21, 2017 07:45PM

T-33A, according to city records:
http://www.fairfaxva.gov/government/parks-recreation/parks-trails-and-fields/park-projects/van-dyke-master-plan/history-of-van-dyck-park

With pic of the actual plane.

Disappointing to see the bigots, bullies, and conspiracy theorists -- and their self adulation -- so prominent in the responses here. I left Fairfax for a lower cost of living in 1993. Looks like I missed out on a decidedly negative turn in the public attitude of Fairfax City dwellers that has taken place as well.

I mean, there was always a lot of hostility toward African Americans in those living in Fairfax City and points west. Looks like that barely under the surface bigotry has not only broken the surface (as it were), but broadened to include all those of brown skin. :(

Posted by: Former Down And Out ()
Date: July 21, 2017 01:02PM

Actually it isn't brown people at all,most resident of Fairfax city are elitist as fuck and look down their upturned noses at anyone they deem an inferior. The so-called "Christians" there were the seed of doubt that caused me ultimately to leave the faith,as I couldn't put belief in a system where the followers were "faithful" one hour a week while they gossiped and compared clothing,and then on Monday went right back to being self-centered,indulgent,judgemental pieces of shit. Fairfax was my home and there's things I miss sometimes,but 99% of the people and the greed are not among them and I'm glad I got the hell out of there.

sounds like
Posted by: the future ()
Date: July 28, 2017 06:23AM

Former Down And Out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually it isn't brown people at all,most
> resident of Fairfax city are elitist as fuck and
> look down their upturned noses at anyone they deem
> an inferior. The so-called "Christians" there were
> the seed of doubt that caused me ultimately to
> leave the faith,as I couldn't put belief in a
> system where the followers were "faithful" one
> hour a week while they gossiped and compared
> clothing,and then on Monday went right back to
> being self-centered,indulgent,judgemental pieces
> of shit. Fairfax was my home and there's things I
> miss sometimes,but 99% of the people and the greed
> are not among them and I'm glad I got the hell out
> of there.

Sounds like changed happened.. We didnt need you here.. let alone you just couldnt keep up with the Jones'. Maybe you should not have layed off the pipe.
We are better without you anyway. Peace.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.