HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax City :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Help Crowdfund GMU Volunteer Student EMS
Date: February 09, 2019 07:22PM

https://www.gofundme.com/manage/gmuems

My name is Joshua.

I, along with some other students, am building George Mason University's first student-driven emergency medical response ambulance service.

I need funding to:

1) Purchase 1-2 Class I or III Ambulances either new or used, equip them to meet VA OEMS standards and integrate them into City of Fairfax FD's and Fairfax County's communication systems.

2) Purchase an additional Ford Utility, Jeep, or UTV for athletic events, dorm responses, and Eagle Bank Arena staffing.

3) To design and purchase logos, computers, uniforms, and medical equipment for student EMT-Bs.

4) To organize and ensure the longevity and legitimacy of GMU EMS as an organization, acquiring the assistance of trained paramedics, a medical director, and any other experts that may help our organization grow.

The Story:

I am a proud alumni of George Mason University and a volunteer EMT in Virginia. I am preparing for the MCAT and taking remaining requirements so I can apply to medical school for the Fall of 2020 or 2021.

When I was at Georgetown University for graduate school, I trained with their famous GERMS, a student EMS organization that works to respond to emergencies around Georgetown and other parts of Northwest Washington in conjunction with DCFD and MedStar Hospital.

My dream is to become an emergency physician or an officer for Air Force PJs or Navy SARCs. While I prepare for medical school, I intend to continue my work in emergency services.

George Mason is growing. With two new campuses coming soon, mandatory freshman residence and increased annual attendance, Mason more than ever before, is becoming a cultural powerhouse and academic heavyweight within the sphere of DMV and Virginia colleges.

Georgetown, UC Davis, VT, GW, Duke, UVA, and many other great institutions have EMS systems operated by students. When you go to college, you live and work in the community with those around you. GMU students have a passion for public service, emergency response, and public service.

GMU neighbors two major county training centers, two hospitals, several high and middle schools, and large zones of residential neighborhoods. Giving the experience of helping with medical transport and first response, as well as the experience of the local event and sports staffing will enrich the GMU EMS Volunteer's academic experience as well as school spirit.

While I am in the initial stages of incorporating this organization as a student interest group, the complex and expensive nature of a student volunteer EMS organization will require capital for the training of those without NREMT certifications, as well as uniforms and equipment. In April, we plan to have a sizable group of students to launch with a "golf cart and desk model." Given the over 35,000 students that attend daily, our numbers will grow.

Disclosure: I have not yet been sanctioned for formal operation by the City of Fairfax or VAOEMS. We are currently a student group that is recruiting but our unique nature requires early planning and building before we are a University organization. I have been encouraged by the Office of the President to fundraise while I recruit students.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help Crowdfund GMU Volunteer Student EMS
Posted by: Samuel90 ()
Date: April 16, 2020 03:36PM

You are making a great job|! I admire such people as you who seek to make the world a better place and help others. Frankly speaking, very often young startups stay aside and wait for a miracle when somebody donates in their product. It's not fair, such world giants as Windows, Lego, and other popular brands receive unlimited funds on crowdfunding platforms while when medicine loses. As for me, I would prefer to make some alternative investments in something new and helpful for others. Nobody knows, maybe your project will help them after some time. I hope your company will develop and have reliable support and the possibility to grow and improve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2020 03:47PM by Samuel90.

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.