HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax City :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Is it time to shut down the City of Fairfax's Tent City?
Posted by: Concerned Resident ()
Date: June 20, 2017 05:27PM

https://patch.com/virginia/fairfaxcity/woman-assaulted-gateway-park-fairfax

As a resident of the City of Fairfax who lives near the Tent City at the corner of Pickett Rd. and 50 (behind the water facility), I've been seeing more and more of the Tent City "residents" out on the street, pandering at the corners, walking to the new Lamb Center, and showing up for free meals or spending the night in their cars in the Home Depot parking lot. As a results, I've always been concerned about my wife running on the Accotink Trail, even in the daytime, and don't let our kids go anywhere outside our neighborhood alone.

Now we see that one of the homeless assaulted another, with a machete. Don't be fooled, the address listed for the man charged with the assault is the Lamb Center, which is one of the main reasons the Tent City exists. Am I the only one who thinks they need to shut down the Tent City? There are several local foundations that can help the homeless find a place to live, just not in the woods or on a bench in Gateway Park.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it time to shut down the City of Fairfax's Tent City?
Posted by: UPTLF ()
Date: June 23, 2017 09:21PM

One of the lamb center people was assaulting people at the Dunkin Donuts on Rt 50, too. Honestly, I think they have gotten worse since the center moved from the old location.

Posted by: Contrarian ()
Date: July 07, 2017 12:54AM

"Concerned Resident" - No, you are not the only one who thinks the "Tent City" needs to be shut down. Fairfax County knows about it, the Fairfax County Parks District knows about it, and the actual property owners where the Tent City knows about. So does the senior leadership and staff of The Virginian. The property owners - with some connection to The Virginian (a private non-profit board that controls/owns it) will not give the Fairfax County police their approval to just proactively clear it when they see it or when they receive complaints from citizen observers. And, Fairfax County code enforcement will not spend money to go after the property owners due to all the local politics related to this "quality of life" issue for us taxpayers. I would guess our County Supervisors are behind this inaction because the lamb center supporters would raise hell to protect the rights of the "Tent City" people drinking and doing drugs in the woods there. We are just supposed to tolerate it - along with the regular panhandling at all the local intersections (e.g. Nutley and Lee Hwy. near the Pan Am Shopping Center).

Thanks "UPTLF" for confirming what I thought was the case of the recent crime event at Dunkin Donuts. When I read that the perpetrator "had no fixed address" in the article, the lamb center was the first thing that came to mind.

Posted by: Former Down And Out ()
Date: July 21, 2017 12:19PM

Same old crap from people more fortunate. Don't you little wage zombies have something better to do than be nosy and spiteful? No,despite the millions upon millions of dollars that flows through the area,the government WONT provide quality housing for these ppl,many of whom are VETERANS who fought for your right to talk about them as tho they are trash. Perhaps THAT is where your animosity should be aimed. In the meantime I hope the lot of you spoiled brats dies in a fire,would be no less than you deserve.

Posted by: contributor to society aka SB ()
Date: July 28, 2017 06:15AM

Former Down And Out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Same old crap from people more fortunate. Don't
> you little wage zombies have something better to
> do than be nosy and spiteful? No,despite the
> millions upon millions of dollars that flows
> through the area,the government WONT provide
> quality housing for these ppl,many of whom are
> VETERANS who fought for your right to talk about
> them as tho they are trash. Perhaps THAT is where
> your animosity should be aimed. In the meantime I
> hope the lot of you spoiled brats dies in a
> fire,would be no less than you deserve.

You poor soul.. wahhhh... cry me a river.. real veterans have options. They should show their official vet ID card issued by the dod.. and someone will assist, else a majority of them are FAKES. Just because one is a vet does not automatically make them a good person. If I died you would have less tax money to leech off of. Lots of folks bust their asses to generate that revenue you speak off, to keep the economy going, and you curse them...How do YOU continue to contribute to society and to better man kind?

Posted by: ArmyVet ()
Date: July 28, 2017 10:10PM

If you are a vet you have a GI Bill. If you're homeless and down and out there are many veterans organizations who will assist. You sound like a snowflake to me.

Posted by: MDNF6 ()
Date: July 30, 2017 11:26PM

What are you doing to help them? Are they loitering around your residence? I've heard about them sleeping and defecating in the laundry rooms of the condos at 50 and Pickett.

You are all talk. On second thought, you are probably one of the ones standing with your little signs trying to get sympathy.
Why the fuck should they get "quality" housing. I pay a mortgage, and my housing isn't quality.

Bitch, I hope you get hit by a train and then get a train ran on you by 20 men with scorching cases of herpes!

Posted by: stnmt ()
Date: August 01, 2017 03:38PM

MDNF6 Wrote:
> Former Down And Out Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Same old crap from people more fortunate. Don't
> > you little wage zombies have something better
> to
> > do than be nosy and spiteful? No,despite the
> > millions upon millions of dollars that flows
> > through the area,the government WONT provide
> > quality housing for these ppl,many of whom are
> > VETERANS who fought for your right to talk
> about
> > them as tho they are trash. Perhaps THAT is
> where
> > your animosity should be aimed. In the meantime
> I
> > hope the lot of you spoiled brats dies in a
> > fire,would be no less than you deserve.
>
> What are you doing to help them? Are they
> loitering around your residence? I've heard about
> them sleeping and defecating in the laundry rooms
> of the condos at 50 and Pickett.

Restaurants along Rt. 50 are putting padlocks on their dumpsters because of all the mess they make while dumpster diving. Business owners complain about vandalism but nothing gets done. I'll bet if they were shitting in Connolly's back yard something would be done asap.

Posted by: Contrarian ()
Date: August 02, 2017 10:10PM

Hey "Former Down And Out", I have actually witnessed a violent act committed by these harmless homeless people that you are sticking up for here. Wait until one of these mentally ill and/or drug addicted guys really hurts someone in our community - or even kills someone. What will you say then?

And, they are only in our area living in their tent city near "The Virginian" because they want to be in close proximity to The L*amb Center. You know, that homeless day center off Fairfax Circle with the new facility that allows at least three sex offenders to work there at this time (based on current public record).

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.