HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Centreville :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Anyone remember Partners 2?
Posted by: Lurker01 ()
Date: April 03, 2015 07:34AM

Ron N. -- I'd not thought about Gene and Sharon Baker in many years until your post reminded me of them. I wonder what became of them?

Right on regarding Roy Self, Paul & Roy, and the rest of the crew. Good times from an era that has passed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Melisa ()
Date: April 10, 2015 06:32PM

I am the niece of Paul & Roy Justice. I am looking for pictures of them playing and maybe some music that may now have been transferred to CD's. I keep in touch with Mel Tillis and he has provided some stuff with Paul on it. And just to add a note of what a great man Mel is...he and his band drove all the way from Florida to Rainsville, AL to attend and play at the memorial service for Paul and Roy. It was a beautiful service. Mel spoke but would not sing because he did not want it to be about him. I admire him so much for his attendance when I know how busy he is. And also wanted to let you know that Paul and Roy were both cremated and are actually buried together with a twin fiddle headstone. It represents them perfectly. I miss them both so very much but especially Paul. I lived closer to him than Roy so I saw him quite often when he wasn't out on the road with Mel. The whole Justice family were great people. I'm glad that so many people speak kindly about them and have fond memories of hearing them play. They definitely were 2 of the best fiddle players ever!! If any of you have any pictures or info on either of them...please email me at melisak@bellsouth.net. Thank you.

Date: April 11, 2015 08:56AM

Melisa -- Thank you for your post. That's a very nice story about the memorial service and the headstone. Makes me think of those two guys and the enormous respect I have for them. I learned so much from them, regarding commitment to the art form and the importance being open to appreciate all kinds of music. Their kindness will never be forgotten among the community of musicians and fans that they touched.

Posted by: speedo ()
Date: April 14, 2015 04:18PM

Hi Melisa, I two want to thank you for your story about Roy and Paul. You mentioned that you are the niece of Roy and Paul. Are you the daughter of their sister who lived in California or the daughter of Bill Justice or Tony justice?

Posted by: Mike hibner ()
Date: May 29, 2015 07:37PM

I grew up in arlington Va. In the late 60's and early 70's my mother used to frequent hunters lodge and see the string dusters. Her best friend was Mary Bacher. Mary's husband Flip played drums for the stringdusters. She used to talk about the justice brothers doing the twin fiddles and how good they were. Also, a friend of hers named Les Poole used to play music there occasionally. You probably know Flip and Mary, and if you do you probably know my mother...her mane was Greta.
This is an old thread by Holla back at me if you read this.
Thanks

Date: June 05, 2015 04:25PM

Hi Mike,

I don't remember the drummer Flip playing for the Stringdusters. When I became part of the team at Hunters Lodge, Don Bradshaw was playing drums. I still miss all of those guys.

Posted by: mats ()
Date: June 05, 2015 08:48PM

I do remember that The Hobbs Sisters and Bob Goff Jr. was a first place winner at the Warrenton National Bluegrass Fes. in 1974 and 1975. I have a photo of the band. See attached. I wonder if anybody knows what Connie and Pam are doing.
Attachments:
431358_10150760503052931_530067930_9432194_715373568_n.jpg

Date: June 06, 2015 07:26AM

Mats: What a nice picture. Thank you. And on what's up with Pam and Connie these days -- there's a nice posting above in the hundreds on this thread from Bob Goff, Jr. that articulates what they're all doing these days. [NB I show three pages of comments on this thread; you'll have to page back and wade through a few hundred postings.]

Mike H; -- Yes, I remember Flip playing drums.

Melissa -- Did you get any pictures in response to your post?

Posted by: Mats ()
Date: June 06, 2015 05:00PM

Hi Lurker01, Found Bobby's posting. Thank you. 2 other good old day photos attached. You can see Arnold on stage! Cheers.
Attachments:
SCN_0029.jpg
Unknown-1.jpeg

Posted by: Mike Hibner ()
Date: June 14, 2015 11:12AM

I did some googling and I see that Flip has, im sorry to say, passed away.

http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=&pid=162752206&referrer=0&preview=True

Date: July 14, 2015 04:48PM

Hi Folks, I am looking for some pictures of Hunters Lodge. Exterior and interior pictures. If anyone can help me please post them or give me your contact number.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: stuball ()
Date: July 24, 2015 10:02PM

Anyone know if Rick Cooper is still alive and if so where he lives? Was a friend of his YEARS ago when he played aith the 3rd shift at Hunters Lodge in the 70s. Any onr know? ThNks Stu

Date: July 26, 2015 10:49AM

Stuball - above, there's one brief post from someone claiming to be Rick. Also, there are posts from a few who are in touch with him; apparently he lives in North Carolina.

I'd like to know what's up with two of Rick' sidekicks too: Tommy and Eddie Dillinger.

Posted by: PORCUPINE ()
Date: August 09, 2015 09:11PM

Hello all. I too remember all those hot spots and more. My father was a Fairfax co policeman and a super banjo player. All the names mentioned in these posts were pals of his and some of mine as well.We lived in Great Falls and went to the park often,rode the merry-go-round all day till mom opened the picnic basket. We each got a nickel to put in the viewer to look out at the falls.I remember Buck's store too.A nickel would get a lot of candies in a tiny brown paper sack.Dad took me to all those night spots since he was a cop and musician and I started playing guitar at age 6,he'd drag me along and take me up on stage to play and sing.First cash I ever got was at Hunter's Lodge. Man who ran the place gave me $5.oo after I sang Rocky Top. I was 9 years old then.That was at a time when I was soaking up music and vocals like a sponge. Dad never drank so I was always safe and well watched wherever we went.Later on we picked a lot at Shakey's pizza.Good times and provided me with a memorable childhood packed with the best people ever.I still see Bob Goff,Jr at bluegrass shows here and there. For anyone who may wonder, my Dad's name was Richard Peters and folks called him "Pete". I have enjoyed reading these stories of places and people from my early days.Thanks to all.

Posted by: ksun12 ()
Date: September 09, 2015 11:24PM

I remember the area well I grew up in Fairfax city. My dad and mom used to go dancing at hunters lodge and partners 2 also social circle before I was born.

I remember Virginia City a little bit. My dad loved to listen to the steel guitar player rudy gabraletto. He took me one night with them and I fell in love with steel guitar its so beautiful.

does anyone know if rudy still plays anymore anywhere?

Date: September 10, 2015 02:48PM

Hi ksun12, Rudy Gabriletto died Jan. 9th 2014. I think he was 81. He is truly missed by all of us.

Posted by: ksun12 ()
Date: September 12, 2015 04:29AM

Thanks speddo for letting me know Rudy Gabriletto passed away. Indeed a great loss.

Do you happen to know any bands in Virginia or Maryland or dc area that have steel guitar players, I would love to go hear a band again with the steel.

Its such a beautiful instrument.

Date: September 12, 2015 03:34PM

Yes I agree, the steel guitar is a beautiful instrument. Its my favorite. Since I retired from playing music, I've lost contact with a lot of the latest bands, but there is a band in Southern Maryland called South Bound with Ray Chilton playing steel guitar. I think they are still around.

Good luck

Date: October 09, 2015 05:19PM

Hi Folks,
Does anyone remember MIDWAY HALL which was located to the west of Manasass?
A great place to dance back in the 40 and 50's.

Date: October 16, 2015 05:25PM

Hi Folks,

Does anyone remember Tysons Corner when at the intersection of RT.7 and Rt. 123
there was only a stop sign on each side of 123 and Rt. 7 was a two lane road?
Also on one corner was a Beer Tavern, one corner was a gas station, one corner was a meat locker facility and the other corner a farm. I think I have this right!!!

Date: October 19, 2015 01:09PM

Refresh me, Speedo. Hugo's, Sam Shipp's, and Miidway Hall run together in my mind.

Date: October 21, 2015 04:37PM

Hi Lurker01, I don't remember Hugo's or Sam Shipp's but Midway Hall I think use to be a Roller Skating Rink and was used for dances on weekend nights. I played music there when I was 17 years old and made $6.00 for a 4 hour gig.

Date: October 25, 2015 08:48PM

speedo -- I somehow think that all three clubs were in that part of the county -- the same part as Midway Hall. Hugo's and Sam Ship's were just slightly before my time, however. I did hear the names of those other two clubs, but they were gone I think by the time I was playing.

Do I recall correctly -- Midway Hall was on Route 17, south of Opal? I think? Do I remember this correctly? Possibly Morrisville? Or maybe that's where the other two were. Can't quite recall.

Date: October 28, 2015 04:42PM

Hi Lurker01, I'm not sure exaxtly where Midway Hall was, but seem to remember that it was on RT. 28 maybe just west of Manasass. That was a long time ago. I was playing with a band called Wayne Gordon and the ROCKETEERS. It was the pioneer days of Rock and Roll.

Date: December 19, 2015 04:24PM

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you that live in Northern Virginia or use to live in Northern Virginia. Hope you have a prosperous New Year.

Date: February 15, 2016 03:50PM

Sad News!!!! A long time friend and fellow musician has passed away. Bill Flammer died on February 4, 2016. He was a local musician in the Washington DC area for many years. He played at the Village Barn, Hunters Lodge, The Wig Wam and many others. He was 77 years old. God rest his soul.

Posted by: Cheryl ()
Date: February 27, 2016 08:45AM

Hey Speedo. I last posted about 4 years ago. Glad to see this is sill going. I used to hang out at partners 2. I recently taed to someone who went there in the early 80's. We both enjoyed listening to Pam Hobbs. In fact, her drummer lived in my neighborhood. I tried to Google Pam Hobbs but for some reason I could not find anything. Curious to know what happened to her and where she is.

Date: February 27, 2016 03:14PM

I hadn't checked this thread in a while, and I was delighted to see two new postings -- although one of them is sad. I didn't know Mr. Flammer

Cheryl -- Bob Goff Jr. has posted some info above in this thread on Pam, Connie, and others from that era, and what they're up to now.

Which of Pam's drummers lived near you? I've wondered what happened to Eddie Dillinger.

Posted by: Cheryl ()
Date: February 27, 2016 07:59PM

Hey. Thanks for the info. On Pam Hobbs. I don't remember the name of the drummer. He played in her band around 1982. The only other info. I can give is that he lived in Broyhill Crest in Annandale. At that time he had 2 or 3 small children. He had brown hair and a mustache. Not sure if it is the same guy.

Posted by: Carol bradley ()
Date: June 04, 2016 10:47PM

My father played in several bands at partners to he also made dobros for many of the the people in the many bands that played he would play with a guy name kenny hadick i was 7 or8 and my parents would take us there fights would start we would hide under the tables my dad don bradley played the dobro

Posted by: Inferno ()
Date: June 14, 2016 02:43PM

Partners 2 was the last of what it was before it had a fire. If I'm remembering it correctly, the fire department let it burn almost to the ground before putting it out. I think they were using it for training, even though they didn't start it. Also, a firefighter hurt their back while working the fire. I can't remember all of the details, but I do know that it caught fire somehow.

Re: Anyone remember Hunters Lodge?
Posted by: musicfn91 ()
Date: June 29, 2016 03:07PM

i grew up in hunters lodge.....my mother sang in a band that played there for years.......

Posted by: musicfan ()
Date: June 29, 2016 03:17PM

i am related to roy through marriage....and i grew up in hunters lodge my mom was the singer in his band ...for years.....i love the memories that these posts are bringing back

Date: July 04, 2016 02:38PM

Hi Musicfan,

Are you by chance the son or daughter of Linda Lee who use to sing with the Stringdusters?

Date: July 05, 2016 10:01AM

Musicfan, great to hear from you. I recall a woman singer there who was going with one of the non-fiddling brothers, but I can't quite recall the name.

And by the way, thank you, Winnie, wherever your may be, for originating this dandy thread.

Date: July 23, 2016 03:44PM

Hi Folks, Here's one for you!!!

Does anyone remember the big band dances at the pavilion at Great Falls, Virginia? The pavilion was located in the Great Falls Park long before the Federal Government took it over. My parents use to ball room dance there.

Posted by: DottieA ()
Date: July 28, 2016 09:10PM

Hey Speedo, where did you go to school/ I know all the places you mention

Date: August 01, 2016 03:17PM

Hi DottieA,

I went to Herndon High School.

Posted by: Jamie Akers ()
Date: September 24, 2016 09:40PM

I do from way back in the day

Posted by: JimG ()
Date: September 25, 2016 10:37AM

Partners II was owned by Bob Goff and Arnold Hobbs, Bob left the club and moved to the Northern Neck and Arnold and his wife kept it open. It was not owned by Roy Justice or Paul Justice.. My brother-in-law Bob Goff Jr. is still picking in a bluegrass ban called Mill Run Bluegrass Band and they have several c.d.'s out.

Posted by: Speedo ()
Date: September 29, 2016 03:18PM

Hi Jamie Akers, Did you go to herndon high school and what years?

Posted by: Gary White ()
Date: December 13, 2016 01:50PM

It is appaling to see such erroneous info made public: I played guitar @ Partners Two w/Pam Hobbs in the 70s & NEVER experienced ANY sort of trouble (or under-age drinking) there:
Could your false statements simply be the results of a very drunken memory?

Gary White

Posted by: Gary White ()
Date: December 13, 2016 01:52PM

Try Patty Bankston, huh?

Posted by: Smitty ()
Date: December 16, 2016 02:09PM

Midway Hall was located in Calverton just about a 1/2 mile West of Route 28. Calverton is about 8-10 miles South of Nokesville (15 miles or so from Manassas). I used to rollerskate there as a Kid in the 70's. They did have dancing as well. For years, after Midway Hall closed, they had a "Flea Market" there at that same building.

Hugo's was a skate rink/dance hall on Route 17 South of Bealeton. Hugo's heyday was in the 80's.

I have lived in Fauquier County all of my life (47 years) and I have never heard of Sam Shipp's. Not to say it wasn't a place to dance, I just don't remember it. There used to be a wild place called Glendale's which was in the Morrisville area off of Route 17 South of Bealeton and Hugo's.

Posted by: Jamarie ()
Date: December 17, 2016 09:03PM

No Hunter's Lodge was always Hunters Lodge, Tommy Sanders owned, or ran it last...he opened up Tommy's in Manassas afterwards. Partners 11 was run/owned by Gene after it was Social Circle...that was mid 60's.... some great memories at both places...

Date: December 18, 2016 07:30PM

Wasn't Hugo's in Culpepper or Front Royal... I remember that name...

Date: December 18, 2016 07:36PM

Nope Gary White

I used to go to there when I was a teen, saw lots of fights, of course I didn't drink, but did later on before I was 21. My brother-in-law had his throat cut in there...and he was asleep when he was attacked...my niece was born in 72 and she was born when that happened. But the really bad fights happened in the mid , late 60's..the the police started hanging there...

Date: December 18, 2016 07:52PM

Found this in the FX CO POLICE newsletter...was this your dad??

Officer Richard W. “Pete” Peters (Ret.)
Date of Passing: February 19, 2012
Richard W. Peters was born June 28, 1931, in Washington,
D.C. He served in the United States Army during the
Korean War, serving at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. He
was a member of the military police and played in the
Army/Navy band. After serving his tour of duty, Pete
joined the Fairfax County Police Department in November
1957, and was assigned to the Patrol Division. His
assignments included the McLean District Station. He
retired in July 1977.
Upon his retirement he moved to Florida to live out his
dream of owning and running a charter fishing boat. He
loved to hunt and fish. Pete was an entertainer, loving to
play his banjo and make people laugh. He played live
radio shows and music festivals around the country.
Pete is survived by his wife, Joan, three daughters, one
son, ten grandchildren, twelve great-grandchildren, and his
dog, Snert.

Date: December 18, 2016 07:56PM

Thank You I could Not remember Gene's last name...!!

Date: December 19, 2016 09:52AM

It wasn't called Partner's Two when Gene and Sharon Baker ran it. It was I think Club Fairfax.

Gary, I too recall that Arnold's place was not a den of violence. I agree with you, man. (I knew you, btw, back in the day.)

Date: December 21, 2016 08:04AM

There's a jazz club, called the Epicure, on Rt. 29 just south of Kamp Washington. I had a sense of deja vu in there; I'm pretty sure there was a beer and music joint in this same location many years ago. No one behind the bar was aware of what thinking of. Does anyone recall what this place was once called?

Date: December 31, 2016 09:21AM

Happy New Year to Northern , VA. Lurker01, I don,t recall the place you mention in Camp Washington. Maybe someone of the other followers will. As I had mentioned several years ago, does anyone Remember Carvin Run Dance Hall that was located in Great Falls back in the 40,s and 50,s? There were dances every Saturday nites.

Posted by: Barbara ()
Date: January 25, 2017 01:26AM

You mention the Pig-n-Chic. I was wondering if you or anyone else could tell me anything more about it, good or bad. My grandparents owned the place but I was to young to go in it so it was never allowed. I remember my dad talking about the older Joey Chitwood coming in an drinking there and they really got on well with each other. If anyone had pics that would be even better! Unfortunately my dad and grandparents are all gone so I can't ask them any questions. Thanks!

Posted by: Green Dolphin Memories ()
Date: March 23, 2017 08:20PM

Andy Reeder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember that Partners II was a relatively "new
> place" in town and I think owned by the same folks
> who owned Bachelors II (the disco) near Fairfax
> Triangle. The Green Dolphin (across the road from
> Toys-R-Us) was another infamous dive with live
> music. Actually, Hunters Lodge was an institution
> with Heavy Country, Danny Gatton, Roy Buchanan and
> others playing in its latter days. Early days
> included Pasty Cline, Hank Williams, Kitty Wells,
> and other legends. Great place-- mowed it down to
> put up a parking lot.

Some of the youngsters on this forum have no idea what Fairfax was like before it was invaded - The Green Dolphin was a landmark.

Date: May 09, 2017 08:28AM

Was The Green Dolphin where the Epicure jazz club is now? I think it was at least right along there in that strip mall?

Posted by: Stephanie ()
Date: June 06, 2017 12:38AM

I saw The Country Gentlemen or Seldom Scene at Partners 2, had to be the end of the year 1981. It was my 11th birthday and my dad, who played bluegrass himself, took me and whichever band it was sang happy birthday to me. I ate fried shrimp tails and all (I didn't know any different).

Date: June 28, 2017 02:11PM

Does anyone remember the old Hornets Nest food joint that was located next to the old Herndon Theater? It was mostly used by Herndon High School students back in the 1950's. Rock and roll bands played in the theater during the afternoons.

Posted by: SandersP ()
Date: July 13, 2017 11:59PM

What Memories reading all these posts brings back memories.The last owners of Hunter's Lodge was Tom and Doris Sanders which bought the business from Roy Justice, the property and building were owned by Maxine Faircloth. I've seen mention of different names of people and wondering what they're doing these days Rick Cooper is alive and well living in North Carolina he just celebrated his 70th birthday and of course he was front and center singing to everybody that would listen. I know this because June 14th Flag Day was the birthdays of Rick Cooper, Tom Sanders, Arnold Hobbs and myself- Paul Sanders also Linda Kramer the wife of the drummer that played in Ricky's band prior to Eddie Dillinger his name was Larry Kramer. I do have pictures of Hunter's Lodge the inside and out and some photos of people celebrating inside in the 1980s before Hunter's Lodge close.

Date: July 16, 2017 12:49PM

Hi Paul, glad you joined the forum. I would really be interested in obtaining copies of pictures of Hunters Lodge from you. I would be willing to pay for what ever the cost would be. Hunters Lodge was very dear to me back in the day. I played there for 6 years with the Midniters Band along side of the Stringdusters. I was very close to the Justice boys. If you would post your email address or phone number I will contact you.

Date: July 17, 2017 10:53PM

SandersP - Thanks, man. Can you post your pictures here?

Good to hear about Rick Cooper. Do you know anything about where Eddie and Tommmy Dillinger are These days?

Date: December 09, 2017 04:53PM

Merry Christmas everyone. I talked to Tony Justice last week, and he is doing fine. Tony is the brother of Roy and Paul Justice. He lives in Lecanto, Fla now.

Also talked to Ray Chilton (steel guitar player) last week. He also is doing fine.

Posted by: FreeMoney ()
Date: December 11, 2017 10:30AM

The app "GetUpside" will give you cash back when you buy gas. In the app you claim the gas station, then you upload a photo of your receipt. No catch, no scam, I'm using it and got some friends and family on it.

Some stations do like 10 cents others do as high as 25 cents.. AND you can get an extra 20c on your first fill up when you sign up with code HGWM5

It also gives you credit to the gas station, which is further incentive. So if you get a tire rotation or buy something in the store, you will receive cash back from those purchases as well.

Spread the word, spread the code, and lets get more participating gas stations! This kind of thing will add up over time so be patient.

Download the app here. or get it from the google play store or apple app store.

Bill Hancock?
Posted by: Lutker01 ()
Date: January 23, 2018 08:05AM

Did anyone see that Bill Hancock has died? I saw one reference to his death on a Link Wray site tweet, but I haven’t seen an obituary.

Note that there is at least one posting on this thread from someone who used the handle of Billy Hancock, the name he used later in his career.

Posted by: KMW ()
Date: February 10, 2018 10:01PM

Got to reminiscing . . Took A lot to find this site. I knew those places. Worked off duty part time at Club Fairfax (your Partners 2, I guess) and Hunting Lodge when I was with FCPD.

Posted by: mxmvh ()
Date: June 23, 2018 03:53PM

Came across this story from 1968. Does anyone know the background of what happened? Was anyone ever prosecuted?
Attachments:
Donald Pruitt.jpg

Date: July 25, 2018 01:21PM

I went to the dump yesterday, on Old Ox Road. As I was returning, heading south getting ready to turn onto Rt. 29, I pressed a few buttons on xM and stopped on a shuffle, just as I passed COSTCO. readers of this thread know what was once there. I had caught the vibe; I nearly missed the turn. Great memories.

Posted by: Skid Row ()
Date: October 25, 2018 02:56PM

I remember Hunter`s Lodge, and the Social Circle made Huntere`s look like a wine & cheese bistro.

Date: December 07, 2018 09:02PM

I just talked to my good friend Jim Moore. We were talking about the good times playing music there. I too really miss those times so I know What you are talking Lurker01.

Posted by: Also anonymous ()
Date: August 30, 2019 03:13AM

My wife and I frequently went to Partners II on Saturday evening to listen to Bluegrass. It was so good. We enjoyed both the house band and whichever main attraction was booked, and were never disappointed. We heard some top notch Bluegrass and it was a great way to end a long work week. I particularly liked that the place would quiet down when the music started. It was because of Partners II that we were able to see so many good Bluegrass bands.

I attached some aerial photos of Partners II, the Hunting Lodge and the Lee Highway corridor from 1976. The Willow Spring Towing and Betty's Azalea Ranch properties are still intact, but little else is. The whole area has been completely transformed over the last 40+ years and the vehicle traffic is ruinous. It was truly a different place back then.
Attachments:
Partners II 1976 Aerial Photo.jpg
Hunters Lodge 1976 Aerial Photo.jpg
Hunters Lodge 1976 Aerial Photo 2.jpg
Willow Spring Towing 2019.jpg
Bettys Azalea Ranch 2019.jpg
Lee Hwy 1976.jpg
Lee Hwy 2019.jpg

Date: October 20, 2019 05:45PM

You probably saw that Sam Campbell died a week or so ago. He and his brother Chuck performed at Partners II and many other local places. I wasn't aware that he was still living in Fairfax. I'd not seen either of them in a very long while. Back in the day, they had a gas station and towing business in Merrifield.

Posted by: Tina Ermini ()
Date: November 04, 2019 03:29AM

I used to go to Hunters Lodge in the 80s. I also helped with the petition to stop the tear down of the lodge. Miss that place so much and all the musicians that played there. Anyone know where everyone ended up? I know Mike Stephenson was killed in a car crash in 87. Is Ricky Cooper still around?

Posted by: Victor Germaine ()
Date: November 13, 2019 02:20PM

I remember Bobby golf bass player and Leon play the guitar

Posted by: Mojo ()
Date: April 06, 2020 07:34PM

Heres what you saw on the front of partners door as you walked in. I removed it the last night, no proper tools. i think Pam Hobbs gave me a butter knife. I played with Crystal clear country As well as with Ricky the Super Coop.
Attachments:
F5F6B52A-5B05-470F-A68C-DA6412A381D3.jpeg

Posted by: GJinVA ()
Date: August 24, 2020 06:09PM

My dad would drag us there too, but only the nights they had steamed crabs by the bushel. The folks would sit there and eat crabs and dink beer. I was little and one day it dawned on me that the place was named pig and chick, but we never ate either one. I asked my dad why and he just said “We only come here for crabs” I remember it being very sketchy, even as a toddler. I found this thread trying to find any photos to see if my memory matched reality.

Date: January 11, 2021 05:53PM

Just found out over the holidays that Joe Sweeney died in 2019. Joe was the last singer and bass player for The Midniters when we were at Hunters Lodge along with The Stringdusters.Joe lived in Greencastle, Pa. And would travel all that distance to play music with us.
Hope everyone is staying safe from the virus.

Posted by: Brent ()
Date: January 18, 2021 01:27PM

I found this thread when I was researching this entry:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Midniters-The-Midniters-At-Hunters-Lodge-Yesterday-Once-More/release/16965387

I uploaded .wav files of the CDr, if anyone is interested in hearing The Midniters from that time period. Does anyone here have the original LP?

Album link:
https://mega.nz/file/dZICFJJK#_n4ktWmy-8nB78rpyYxsj2RGHFWjad56C1_Yl30C708

Date: January 23, 2021 07:10PM

I have an original LP of The Midniters

Posted by: Jasmine Feldman ()
Date: April 11, 2021 09:24PM

My mother was the niece of Paul and Roy my great uncles, and used to tell me stories about working the coat room at Hunters Lodge with her cousin. Later mom went from being Pamela Justice to PJ Ellis and was written up as Baltimore's best female blues artists. Sadly almost everyone has passed. I never knew Hunters lodge much more than the stories I would overheard as a child.I am great full to have run across this thread. Any pictures stories or otherwise would be appreciated here's a link to one of Mom Songs.
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=rb6XN8jxCfo&feature=share

Date: April 12, 2021 04:44PM

Hi Jasmine,
Good to hear some new post's. "Oh that coat room". I remember it well. My sister inlaw also work at the coat room for a while when she was married to Tony. Some great memories there when I was playing with The Midniters along with The Stringdusters. I shure miss Roy and Paul and all the musicians that played there.Country music will never be the same!!!

Posted by: Patty Norris ()
Date: June 06, 2021 12:42PM

I loved Partners 2! We would go every Wednesday night I think. We were just in HS but they had no problem serving us beer. We would dance all night to live bluegrass. What a great dive it was. So many memories

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: December 25, 2021 05:32PM

My grandma was the wife of Erv Davis of The Midniters. I recently started a vinyl collection and she gave me a copy of The Midniters at Hunters Lodge and it sounds great!

Posted by: Jodi ()
Date: December 25, 2021 05:42PM

Speedo, my son just found this forum when we gave him Dad’s LP of The Midniter’s at Hunter’s Lodge when he got his new vinyl collection for Christmas. We thought this old album would be a great addition to his collection, and he agreed. My name is Jodi, and Dad’s name was Erv Davis, the lead singer.

Pages: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.