HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Big Stripers and other fish biting on the Potomac
Posted by: The River Why ()
Date: May 02, 2008 02:53PM

I hear the upper Potomac is ripe with Stripers right now. Slightly past Georgetown, where the river narrows and becomes a bit more rocky. I went a few weeks back and caught a grip of big Hickory Shad (all caught on "shad darts"). Hopefully the weather is decent this weekend and I am going to make it down again and go for one of these striped bass....maybe drop a line to the bottom with some cut herring and try for a big catfish. I drove down GW parkway yesterday and the water unfortunately was high and moving fast.

Fletchers boat house is the place to be....you have to get a DC fishing license (easy, and only about 12 bucks). Walk about a mile or so down the shoreline and find yourself a spot. There are a TON of hispanics down there fishing -- scattered along the shore. No problem, though. No big deal. None of them are fishing for game fish but most rather the big cats...some monsters swimming down there. Some even fish with just fishing line wrapped around a beer bottle. They keep all they catch. Except for the shad. One variety (cant remember if it was the american or hickory) are illegal to keep. Shad is also a bony fish that is not the best to eat.

Potomac River - D.C.: Bass are beginning to spawn in the river. Better fishing areas now include any suitable spawning areas, such as Columbia Island Lagoon, Washington Sailing Marina, Oxon Cove, Washington Channel and the Spoils. Jig 'n pig, plastic worms and grubs and rattling crankbaits are the preferred baits. The area around Fletcher's Boathouse is thick with stripers up to 20 pounds. White perch are available in the deeper holes, while catfish action is red hot. Bottom fished baits of cut herring, are taking cats up to 20 pounds. Herring schools are thick. Shad action is good, early and late in the day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Big Stripers and other fish biting on the Potomac
Posted by: DeathByCop ()
Date: May 02, 2008 04:27PM

I hate BIG strippers!!!!!LOL

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.