HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I need your advice
Posted by: Iridium ()
Date: March 19, 2008 01:37AM

I got a 1993 Chevy 1500 truck with 240k on the odometer. The motor runs fine and shows 40 lbs of oil pressure at just an idle. There is nothing wrong with it at the moment. I would like to rebuild the motor. It has a small v6. Could somebody recommend a reliable shop that could do a quality job in Fairfax? Also how much would such a rebuild cost I really like the truck and just not ready to part with it yet. Thank You for all your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need your advice
Posted by: coffin ()
Date: March 19, 2008 10:18AM

I wouldn't try rebuilding it. Look around for a GM "crate motor" and then get somebody to slap it in there for you. That way, everything's new in the motor.

Posted by: iridium ()
Date: March 19, 2008 12:37PM

too expensive and it's hard to find a v6 crate.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: March 19, 2008 01:19PM

is it just me or do people not understand that this isnt a automobile related forum? come on, at least post in off-topic!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: § ()
Date: March 19, 2008 02:15PM

I believe the cost to rebuild would exceed $3k at any independent shop, which I'm guessing is more than your truck is worth. I suggest that you drive it until the engine sludges over and then start fresh. -§

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: March 19, 2008 04:18PM

I agree with above post, I have some experince in engine building. Unless it is not running, I would not suggest a rebuild for the hell of it. I would have the compression checked and maybe a leak down test and then go from there. If everything is with in spec then do a tune up and stop fixin things that aint broke... BTW 40psi at cold idle is good, 40psi at hot idle means something could be clogged up or your pressur reg valve/spring is stuck.

PS. dont use a FRAM filter..ever.

And Gravis is right, this is not a car forum. BUT, He did ask for a good shop in Fairfax..lol.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: March 19, 2008 04:43PM

Take a Stand Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And Gravis is right, this is not a car forum. BUT,
> He did ask for a good shop in Fairfax..lol.

touché

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: native ()
Date: March 20, 2008 03:21AM

Looks like Fairfax Underground police has once again dispatched Gravis to do his duties.

Posted by: native ()
Date: March 20, 2008 03:30AM

Actualll Gravis I find you hatred and cheeky comments about the local police work rather ironic considering you ninja like reflexes when it comes to reminding people that they have violated the fairfax underground "law" of not posting in the off-topic

Posted by: Vaginitis ()
Date: September 15, 2020 11:55PM

Did you get it rebuilt?

Posted by: Rebuild vs. Remanufactured ()
Date: September 16, 2020 06:47AM

First and foremost, avoid Dr. Motorworx in Manassas, as they are thieves and liars!

Rebuild = fixing things that are broken.
Remanufactured = replacing everything, except the block!

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.