HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Tech support recommendation
Posted by: dlee ()
Date: September 19, 2005 07:06PM

Ok, so I completely screwed up my laptop trying to 'fix' it. Short story is I recently got broadband and just as quickly got a virus as a result of my complete and total disregard for all forms of protection. If it happened to somebody else, I'd laugh at their idiocy. So, being semi computer literate, I tried some fixes recommended online...

Point is, I give up. I know you guys are all computer geniuses, but what about the rest of us? It's not under warranty anymore or anything. So, what? Take it to Microcenter, Best Buy, call Geeks on Call or something?

In the alternative, if somebody on the forum wants my cash instead, let me know. dleemundy1 at hotmail dot com.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tech support recommendation
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 19, 2005 08:14PM

Do you need to save anything off the laptop? If not, run the restore disk that came with it and it will re-image a fresh install. If you don't have a repair disk like that, then find an install disk for Windows XP or 2000 or something (or ME if that's what was on there). Just make sure you install a good firewall (Sygate Personal Firewall is a good one and it's free), and good antivirus software (AVG Antivirus is teh r0x0r and it's free too), then install all the available Windows updates, rebooting and re-running them until there aren't any left you don't have installed.

Or do what I'd do and install Linux :)

But if you have a repair disk that's the best way to go if you aren't really into fixing computer problems even if it's an older OS because it'll have all the drivers you need for the hardware onboard the laptop. I fix my own and other people's stuff so I have no idea how Microcenter or Computer Geeks are or how much they cost.

Good luck though, I hate it when my own stuff gets hosed especially when it could have been prevented. My personal favorite is "Gee, here's a firmware update for my BIOS. I'm not experiencing any problems, but WTF it's the latest right?" Twice I have found myself driving to CompUSA to pay out the ass for a new motherboard because I can't wait until the next computer show to get one I really want.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 19, 2005 10:02PM

dlee,
  pgens as very good advice. if you have files you want to save, regaurless of what you choose to do, burn them to CD-R or get yourself a snazy USB drive you can easily transfer all your files onto.

at this point, after backing up files you want to save, if you have a "System Restore CD(s)," i would suggest you use them. this can be done by inserting the first disc (of the set) into the cdrom drive and rebooting. this should cause the CD to boot and probably ask you some simple questions before it reimages. if the CD does not boot, you may have to change the boot order in the BIOS but i dont think that will happen. if it does, just post here again.

if you dont have the system restore discs but you have a Windows installation CD that came with the laptop, use that to reinstall Windows. it works in the same maner as the system restore cds that boot from the cd drive. just stick it in and reboot. the install process isnt too complex but you will need to have the "Product Key" that came with the CD. it's a sticker that is on some thing that the CD was packaged with or if it came with a white manual with some shiny starburt saying "Official Microsoft Product" or something, it should be on the from of the manual. chances are you have the system restore discs though.

finally, when your computer is reloaded, install firefox and do not use Internet Explorer unless you are doing Windows Updates or you must for the webpage to work properly.

alternatively, you can go linux. it's come a LONG ways in the past few years. it's just as usable as windows, all the programs are free, and you dont have that pesky virus problem. if you arent gaming or anything on your laptop, this is the way to go. Ah! i just remembered, if you go to MicroCenter, they sell Linspire. this is a distrobution of linux that is nice and for the layman. includes apps like no other. you will feel at home with the MS Office clone that give you. it's $50 but totally worth it.

good luck.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: September 20, 2005 02:19PM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ah! i just remembered, if you go to
> MicroCenter, they sell Linspire. this is a
> distrobution of linux that is nice and for the
> layman. includes apps like no other. you will
> feel at home with the MS Office clone that give
> you. it's $50 but totally worth it.

Or if your laptop has a DVD-ROM drive, grab SuSE 9.3 Professional. For laptops I have had the most luck with SuSE.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 20, 2005 08:08PM

pgens,
  you have to look at it from a user standpoint. he's not what fluent with computers so a presetup type environment is in his best interest. linspire gives you everything ready to go without the need for figuring out what programs are or having to compile programs or use the command line at all. i would think it would be prudent to choose linspire over suse in this situation.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Hemsk ()
Date: September 20, 2005 10:13PM

Microcenter, et al, will most likely tell you to reformat and reinstall anyway -- and then they'll take your money.

Date: September 22, 2005 07:45AM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pgens,
> you have to look at it from a user
> standpoint. he's not what fluent with computers
> so a presetup type environment is in his best
> interest. linspire gives you everything ready to
> go without the need for figuring out what programs
> are or having to compile programs or use the
> command line at all. i would think it would be
> prudent to choose linspire over suse in this
> situation.

Dunno. All I know if with my Averatec laptop, Fedora Core 4, Linspire, and ubuntu didn't work with the wireless setup out of the box, while SuSE did. I had similar experiences with my Toshiba laptop. I didn't have to see a command line to install it, in fact SuSE has one of the smoothest installs I have ever used. Does Linspire have a free live CD version? He should grab a few distros that have free live CDs, boot them up and see what he's most comfortable with. I have tried Linspire before during their occasional "download the developer version free" promos and wasn't particularly awed but that's just me. I'm not trying to dis the distro you like, I'm just offering up my experiences with linux setups on laptops.

Posted by: Robin ()
Date: July 26, 2013 01:44PM

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRY8wA93RtJyS32x_zV2f9

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.