HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Whats the best kind of bike to buy?
Posted by: Rvabiker ()
Date: October 11, 2010 01:25PM

I like vintage bikes. I don't really want a new bike. But what kind of bike do I need for where I'll be riding about 8 miles every other day? Can I do it with a three speed? Also what bikes are best/ which brands to avoid?

I could get a new bike, but I bought new bikes before and they have as much trouble as used or older bikes. Ive had to take them back to the shop for gear problems, etc. I dont want a mountain bike. I want a road bike.

Any advice would be swell
Thanks!

Re: Whats the best kind of bike to buy?
Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: October 11, 2010 01:44PM

Bikes = FAGGOT

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: Britdrnva~ ()
Date: October 11, 2010 01:50PM

You don't even need gears - you could ostensibly ride anywhere on a single speed.

Gears (and having a lot of them) allow one to ride comfortably over all sorts of different terrain at a decent clip. It isn't onerous having a lot of gears it is in fact quite beneficial.

You don't mention what sort of riding you will be doing - except to commute to work 8 miles every other day. Will this be primarily on roads/trails (i.e. asphalt) or a combination of off-road (dirt)/road?

I have a stable of bikes - one I switch to over the winter is a type called a cyclocross - it's a road bike for all intents and purposes but it is specially fitted so that it can ride off-road as well (mind you no shocks! so tis bumpy). The bottom bracket (bottom part of the bike) has a higher clearance and the forks are wider to accommodate a slightly wider tire, it also has cantilever breaking which is better suited for poor weather conditions. I ride a Cannondale Optimo 3 cyclocross (don't know if they still make them) but something equivalent I'm sure is out there.

I also ride a Cannondale road bike - R2000. Sometimes I ride a Kestrel tri bike - but I don't think that's really what you're looking for. (which you can buy pretty cheap off of Bikesdirect.com).

Good luck and happy riding!

Posted by: do coworkers a favor ()
Date: October 11, 2010 01:56PM

Buy a scooter. Do you want to get to work smelling like a wild banschee. I hate the bikers that get to work and SMELL like BO.

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: October 11, 2010 02:17PM

'Britdrnva' wrote :
> "It isn't onerous having a lot of gears it is in fact quite beneficial."

First of all this statement is a NO-BRAINER that was not worthy of stating
unless you feel your audience is a bunch of fucking drooling retards.

and why ONEROUS?

Did you think the retards would be impressed by your use if a seemingly
uncommon word?

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: October 11, 2010 02:30PM

This is a Meade post.....RVA biker? LOL He's got some youtube videos of his fat ass riding a bicycle.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: October 11, 2010 10:31PM

I only own two bikes, a GT Pro Freestyle, and a Mountain bike (Trek 800), and I've had both of them for at least 15 years. I haven't ridden them much since I got my DL, though.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Britdrnva~ ()
Date: October 11, 2010 11:38PM

Troll do you think onerous is an uncommon word? Perhaps in your circles it is, and if so, I do apologize I don't mean to tax your hate-filled brain.

Troll wrote:
'Britdrnva' wrote :
> "It isn't onerous having a lot of gears it is in fact quite beneficial."

First of all this statement is a NO-BRAINER that was not worthy of stating
unless you feel your audience is a bunch of fucking drooling retards. "

The OP wanted to know if he could ride a 3 gear bike...hence my comment therein...the greater the number of gears the more ability one has to maintain a strong speed without much taxation to the body.

Posted by: Russell "Fuckin A" Crowe ()
Date: October 12, 2010 07:28PM

Craftworks

For the Fuckin Win, Mate!

Posted by: TRoll@GAOL ()
Date: October 12, 2010 07:29PM

Troll@AOL=Faggot

Posted by: AsIf ()
Date: October 12, 2010 08:01PM

Rvabiker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like vintage bikes. I don't really want a new
> bike. But what kind of bike do I need for where
> I'll be riding about 8 miles every other day? Can
> I do it with a three speed? Also what bikes are
> best/ which brands to avoid?
>
> I could get a new bike, but I bought new bikes
> before and they have as much trouble as used or
> older bikes. Ive had to take them back to the shop
> for gear problems, etc. I dont want a mountain
> bike. I want a road bike.
>
> Any advice would be swell
> Thanks!

Slightly older dual purpose KTM or something similar. It's both for street and off-road use. It will be a 5 or 6 speed.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: October 12, 2010 08:09PM

I get the feeling you're going to be one of those jackass bicycle people instead of a normal person riding a bicycle. Riding in the middle of the road, getting indignant when someone calls you a dick for holding up traffic, wearing a helmet that matches your spandex, etc.

Real Men walk into a bike store and say, "Here's my price range, give me a bike." If asked what kind, the response is, "The kind with pedals." Gear preference is acceptable too, but only if you rode bikes as a kid.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: October 12, 2010 08:44PM

The 1986 me would have said this bitch (axel pegs and all).

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: October 12, 2010 10:06PM

-
Attachments:
5825_path.jpg

This forum powered by Phorum.