HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: already written
Posted by: maybe they drowned, haha ()
Date: April 15, 2019 09:47AM

horny toad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I was a kid, back in the 60's, we'd visit
> texas, and we'd catch "horny toads", basically,
> horned lizards.
>
> We'd try to keep them for a while. They basically
> ate only ants, and so when we came back north in
> the winter, we couldn't find ants.
>
> They'd die amazingly fast. Like, w/in 3-4-5 days
> of us catching them.
>
> Since then, I've been somewhat interested in the
> little fellers...and have learned just how hard it
> is to keep them in captivity, and breed them.
>
> Like, teams of university trained people know how
> to do it in controlled environments...with a lot
> of failure...
>
> But, ol Noah and his family here, with his wooden
> boat full of animals, and birds, and
> reptiles...not a problem...

Not a problem? Horned toads do not inhabit the region attributed to the flood today, nor have they in the recent past. So even if the toads had lived around Noah before the flood, Noah could not be credited with success in saving them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: fuck him ()
Date: April 15, 2019 09:56AM

The Old Testament is no different than stories of fire breathing dragons, or stories of giants. Those stories are the result of ancient people trying to explain dinosaur bones. The story of Noah and the ark is an attempt to explain an event that really did happen, but had been passed down through verbal story telling for 1000 years before being written down. A 30 second Google search gets this...

https://www.josh.org/8-manuscripts-validate-new-testament/


I find it odd how there is no palestinian evidence on this list...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artifacts_in_biblical_archaeology

there's a hell of a lot more to that list, but most are at sources that believers of the spaghetti monster won't listen to. I study archeology, not specific to any religion, but world wide. There is much to learn from it, and it explains where a lot of what we believe comes from. Though excavations have been excruciatingly slow, this appears to have been built then abandoned a good 2000 years before humans were thought capable of such...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe

Imagine what could be learned in the time this asshole spent trolling, but he's made it obvious he'd rather keep believing in the great spaghetti monster..

fuck him

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: horny toads on a plane ()
Date: April 15, 2019 09:59AM

Don't you know the story?

Two of 'em heeded the call, and swam across the Atlantic, crawled across north Africa to Mt Ararat, and presented themselves, healthy, and with a yr supply of red ants, to Noah.

Duh!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: penne pasta ()
Date: April 15, 2019 10:01AM

Who/what is the great spaghetti monster?

And who believes in it/him?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: ancient boater ()
Date: April 15, 2019 10:17AM

^^ You didn't even mention the most recent tablet translated. The flood story was written at least as early as 2,000 BC and describes events that happened much much earlier.

There is solid archaeological evidence for the flood and the destruction it caused. Not sure what the spaghetti eater is smoking. Since there are no horned lizards outside of North America today, obviously Noah or Utnapishtim did NOT save them.
Attachments:
ark-tablet_2791738c.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: Black Sea ()
Date: April 15, 2019 10:26AM

The flood is pretty widely accepted as having actually happened, despite the denial from the spaghetti monster worshiper.

It would be foolish to discount old stories out of hand as fabrications. Archaeology moves very slowly, but evidence always supports myths at a minimum having a basis in actual real events.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: It's really quite simple ()
Date: April 15, 2019 10:35AM

oh, i think I see, is it Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "An abortion is a consequence of somebody not
> following God's plan for their life."
>
> So, that aborted child just wasn't paying
> attention, huh, to god's plan? Is that what you
> are saying?
>
> Or, are you saying, that was god's plan?
>
> When does that part about "god not making any
> mistakes" come into play?
>
> Hmmm...


The aborted child is no more part of God's plan than the innocent lady driving home that is hit and killed by a drunk driver.

As I wrote above, God's plan for our lives isn't a Waze set of directions that tell us when to sleep, when to eat, when to turn left, when to sit down, etc

God's plan for our lives is to listen to His Word and to follow it. God gave us all free will. We can follow His plan or not. It is up to us.

God does no make mistakes. People make mistakes. And when people make mistakes, there are consequences. Usually to ourselves, but also to those around us or to totally innocent people who just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

None of this is complicated at all. You're way overthinking it. Live a holy life and follow the teachings of Christ and you'll be following God's plan for you. All of us fall short, but we have to keep trying or we are lost. Sadly, most don't care.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: jybbhvg ()
Date: April 15, 2019 10:44AM

Oh, it's way complicated.

You just choose to turn a blind eye to it. Who knows why.

I live a GREAT life. I don't require a "guidebook" to do so, nor do I require the promise of everlasting, nor do I need pats on the back from my peers to do so.

I choose to do so...out of FREE WILL!

But to not see the craziness in organized religion, and the unnecessary bad that can come from it...wars, deceit, coverups...is crazy to me.

Doesn't some of the stuff here seem crazy to you?

Like, people defending the ark as real?

I'm sure it does, you just don't want to admit it.

Your temporal reward systems wouldn't allow it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: and another thing ()
Date: April 15, 2019 11:04AM

Why is that somebody will "pray" for sick person, and when they get well, the claim some kind of god miracle?

Has somebody ever prayed for an amputee, who then grows a leg back? Wouldn't that be miraculous, more so than something that might just have happened on its own?

And why is it, when like a tornado rips through a town, and some family is "spared" while just about everyone else gets blown apart, that they "thank god" that they were spared?

So, the other families? just not good enough to be spared? Or, did somebody not pray for them hard enough?

You don't see any hocus pocus BS in that?

Why the F not?

What is wrong with you!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: pointer outer of things ()
Date: April 15, 2019 11:12AM

It's no more crazy than the people that think socialism will work this time because it wasn't done right last time

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: klpsng ()
Date: April 15, 2019 11:27AM

Maybe, Who knows. Whatever political message you want.

But, I guarantee you, if anyone tries to answer that "and another thing" post, it will be filled with misdirection, "you're a dick (or whatever)" and all kinds of bible mumbo jumbo.

But no one will answer why "miracles" don't include an amputee growing a full leg back, while miracles DO include somebody getting cured of something, that might be attributable to modern science.

Oh, I know...god created modern science....therefore...

stop the insanity!

It's OK! You can still pretend...go to church...get your business contacts....get your pats on the back...

But please...admit it! The world will be better!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: They be crazy ()
Date: April 15, 2019 12:32PM

and another thing Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is that somebody will "pray" for sick person,
> and when they get well, the claim some kind of god
> miracle?
Here is an even more hypocritical use of 'miracle' that happens more than it should.

A person survives an accident where most others perish.

That person is called 'a miracle'.

What does that say about the others?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: ...... ()
Date: April 15, 2019 12:39PM

klpsng Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe, Who knows. Whatever political message you
> want.
>
> But, I guarantee you, if anyone tries to answer
> that "and another thing" post, it will be filled
> with misdirection, "you're a dick (or whatever)"
> and all kinds of bible mumbo jumbo.
>
> But no one will answer why "miracles" don't
> include an amputee growing a full leg back, while
> miracles DO include somebody getting cured of
> something, that might be attributable to modern
> science.
>
> Oh, I know...god created modern
> science....therefore...
>
> stop the insanity!
>
> It's OK! You can still pretend...go to
> church...get your business contacts....get your
> pats on the back...
>
> But please...admit it! The world will be better!

I admit it, the world will be better if more people went to a good church

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: better living through chemistry ()
Date: April 15, 2019 12:41PM

klpsng Wrote:

>
> It's OK! You can still pretend...go to
> church...get your business contacts....get your
> pats on the back...
>
> But please...admit it! The world will be better!


You do mention an important aspect of church-going.

Church-going does build social relationships and a sense of community. Human beings need to engage in those things to thrive or they end up becoming reclusive crazy people.

That doesn't mean that one needs to believe that Jesus rose from the dead George Romero style in order to get this interpersonal benefit from joining a church.

Naturally, in this day and age, there are many more options for people to find themselves a community to become part of.

Just don't think sitting reclusively at home typing away at your favorite forums or social media passes for belonging to a community.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: still waiting ()
Date: April 15, 2019 12:41PM

Of course, no one really discusses why no "miracle" limb regeneration has occurred, yet.

But when they do...oh boy is it gonna be good!

Deflect, deny, get angry.

Then the mumbo jumbo starts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: .... ()
Date: April 15, 2019 12:42PM

They be crazy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and another thing Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why is that somebody will "pray" for sick
> person,
> > and when they get well, the claim some kind of
> god
> > miracle?
> Here is an even more hypocritical use of 'miracle'
> that happens more than it should.
>
> A person survives an accident where most others
> perish.
>
> That person is called 'a miracle'.
>
> What does that say about the others?


The others were heathens, much like yourself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: label much? ()
Date: April 15, 2019 12:52PM

better living through chemistry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> klpsng Wrote:
>
> >
> > It's OK! You can still pretend...go to
> > church...get your business contacts....get your
> > pats on the back...
> >
> > But please...admit it! The world will be
> better!
>
>
> You do mention an important aspect of
> church-going.
>
> Church-going does build social relationships and a
> sense of community. Human beings need to engage in
> those things to thrive or they end up becoming
> reclusive crazy people.
>
> That doesn't mean that one needs to believe that
> Jesus rose from the dead George Romero style in
> order to get this interpersonal benefit from
> joining a church.
>
> Naturally, in this day and age, there are many
> more options for people to find themselves a
> community to become part of.
>
> Just don't think sitting reclusively at home
> typing away at your favorite forums or social
> media passes for belonging to a community.

I belong to plenty of communities, all of them productive, all of them with positive by-products for those around.

None of which involve belief in a myth, nor involve the creation of massive temples to the myth, and hate in the guise of religion.

And so are you thinking, the only way to be part of a community is to be part of a church? Who raised you, boy? Christians? You need to expand your horizons...

Judgmental MoFo...

Thank you very much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: ark of truth ()
Date: April 15, 2019 12:56PM

Still waiting on somebody telling us why there has been no miracle limb regeneration.

Like, a serious christian person. And no, to say that there are billion dollar efforts worldwide to do that doesn't answer the question, mr ark guy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: don't forget.. ()
Date: April 15, 2019 01:01PM

.... Wrote:

> > A person survives an accident where most others
> > perish.
> >
> > That person is called 'a miracle'.
> >
> > What does that say about the others?
>
>
> The others were heathens, much like yourself.


The proper form of address is "Heathen Scum".

That said, are you saying everyone who died in 911 were heathens?

Even if you were, what you are implying is that Christians don't give a shit about non-Christians. This is just like how Muslims don't give a shit about non-Muslims.

What was the difference between Christianity and Islam again?

I remember... Islam looks at Jesus as just another prophet and not the Messiah...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: fact o the matter ()
Date: April 15, 2019 01:04PM

IF people REALLY believed...like, how bad hell is, how great heaven is...do you think we would have ANYHTING here on earth?

No.

It'd be like...screw that trying to make money...I just want to fish and make bread and give it to the poor...'cus, man, this is but a very temporary blip...wouldn't give a sheyet about anything temporal, no earthly pleasures, no hot women, no cool cars, no football games, no cool houses, no golf courses with poor people outside, no vacations...it would be all making bread to give to the poor.

Now, how any christians do you know that live that way?

Because, you know, heaven is great, and hell suuuuuucks.

Not many...and the few that do (Jonestown comes to mind), well, look what happens there.

Face it, folks, there are very few true believers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: whatadumbfuck ()
Date: April 15, 2019 01:06PM

label much? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> I belong to plenty of communities, all of them
> productive, all of them with positive by-products
> for those around.
>
> None of which involve belief in a myth, nor
> involve the creation of massive temples to the
> myth, and hate in the guise of religion.
>
> And so are you thinking, the only way to be part
> of a community is to be part of a church? Who
> raised you, boy? Christians? You need to expand
> your horizons...
>
> Judgmental MoFo...
>
> Thank you very much!

that's why you are trolling this place. Living in your moms basement doesn't count as belonging to a community. But nice try.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: Misunderstood ()
Date: April 15, 2019 01:07PM

label much? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> better living through chemistry Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > klpsng Wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > It's OK! You can still pretend...go to
> > > church...get your business contacts....get
> your
> > > pats on the back...
> > >
> > > But please...admit it! The world will be
> > better!
> >
> >
> > You do mention an important aspect of
> > church-going.
> >
> > Church-going does build social relationships and
> a
> > sense of community. Human beings need to engage
> in
> > those things to thrive or they end up becoming
> > reclusive crazy people.
> >
> > That doesn't mean that one needs to believe
> that
> > Jesus rose from the dead George Romero style in
> > order to get this interpersonal benefit from
> > joining a church.
> >
> > Naturally, in this day and age, there are many
> > more options for people to find themselves a
> > community to become part of.
> >
> > Just don't think sitting reclusively at home
> > typing away at your favorite forums or social
> > media passes for belonging to a community.
>
> I belong to plenty of communities, all of them
> productive, all of them with positive by-products
> for those around.
>
> None of which involve belief in a myth, nor
> involve the creation of massive temples to the
> myth, and hate in the guise of religion.
>
> And so are you thinking, the only way to be part
> of a community is to be part of a church? Who
> raised you, boy? Christians? You need to expand
> your horizons...
>
> Judgmental MoFo...
>
> Thank you very much!


I think you misunderstood. I am a Heathen Scum I just know that the things people get out of going to church are independent of believing in a 2000-year-old book of myth, legend, and superstition. I honestly do think people need to be part of a community, sadly some only seem to be able to find one is by going to church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: bad christian...bad! ()
Date: April 15, 2019 01:08PM

You are very inspirational!

Are you a christian!

judgmental MoFO!

You don't know me at all...there is no way possible for you to know me...

Heck...I could be old JC hisself...just testing you!

And you fail!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: by the way ()
Date: April 15, 2019 01:10PM

Above is to "whatadumf***"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: to whatadumbf*** ()
Date: April 15, 2019 01:14PM

And so, mr. "whatadumf***" first, i thought christians werent supposed to cuss, and second, if in fact I'm sitting in my mom's basement (she died in the early 90's) wouldn't you be doing the same?

Not that I give a f&*& (don't cuss), but seriously?

What community do you belong to?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: It's really quite simple ()
Date: April 15, 2019 02:18PM

and another thing Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is that somebody will "pray" for sick person,
> and when they get well, the claim some kind of god
> miracle?
>
> Has somebody ever prayed for an amputee, who then
> grows a leg back? Wouldn't that be miraculous,
> more so than something that might just have
> happened on its own?
>
> And why is it, when like a tornado rips through a
> town, and some family is "spared" while just about
> everyone else gets blown apart, that they "thank
> god" that they were spared?
>
> So, the other families? just not good enough to be
> spared? Or, did somebody not pray for them hard
> enough?
>
> You don't see any hocus pocus BS in that?
>
> Why the F not?
>
> What is wrong with you!!!!


Why is stage 4 cancer disappearing less of a miracle to you than someone regrowing a leg?

People thank God for things because they believe God did something for them. And those who are killed aren't necessarily killed because they were evil or because they didn't go to church. It was a tornado. Tornados often kill people. So do floods and house fires and car accidents and grizzly bears. How does this prove or disprove God?

You will never convince anyone who truly believes in God that we are wrong. Bad things happen to everyone. The Bible tells us that the rain falls on the just and the unjust alike. Being a child of God doesn't mean we don't have problems or are invincible. It's an inner peace and a knowing that transcends those who don't believe. If you don't have it, you won't understand it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: OK, nice try (not really) ()
Date: April 15, 2019 02:41PM

Why isn't stage 4 cancer disappearing less of a miracle?

Is it REALLY disappearing, as you think, or is it, via rounds of chemo and other medicines, being cured?

Instead of deflecting, shifting, tell me...why hasn't some guy ever regrown an amputated leg?

Because, we, as human animals, have yet to figure that out, that is, how to regrow an amputated body part.

But, we study reptiles, because through time and evolution, have developed the ability to somewhat regenerate body parts.

You know, those evil reptiles, that have come about not because of evolution, but because your sweet jegus and his daddy designed them so.

Guess they forgot to do that with humans.

Seriously...stop deflecting, equivocating, etc...you KNOW your line of reasoning would not stand up in any other arena besides religion, and you are so used to getting a pass because it is your religion.

But a limb regenerating itself is not the same as a cure for stage 4 cancer.

Nice try.

If it were, why hasn't a limb ever regenerated itself?

You know, a guy with no legs...and then, year later...legs?

How come jegus just seems to kind of, you know, shy away, avoid that?

And stop with the crazy logic.

Answer that as if you didn't believe in the myth.

You can't.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: think about it ()
Date: April 15, 2019 02:46PM

And you try and make "believing" sound so, I don't know...good!

Would you feel the same way about someone who believed in Superman? Lord of the Rings? Harry Potter?

Probably not.

I wouldn't.

Why do you think your irrational belief is any different?

because you surround yourself with others of a similar mindset, who are rewarded here on earth for this belief and the systems that come with it.

But if you really stop and think about it, your beliefs are no better than superman, or lord of the rings, or...

You just get rewarded for it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: BB 102 ()
Date: April 15, 2019 02:53PM

Bible babble 102 is as follows:

Make some weird logic, half hearted attempt at refuting the argument (plenty of examples above), and then, go with the old "you just wouldn't understand...it is a matter of...blah blah blah..."

And then sometimes, maybe a conciliatory, "it's OK, 'cus your thinking with your mind, and not your soul" or something like that.

I might be OK with it all, if there wasn't so much EVIL associated with it...seriously.

It is HATE! and throw in a little MONEY!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: It's really quite simple ()
Date: April 15, 2019 05:19PM

OK, nice try (not really) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why isn't stage 4 cancer disappearing less of a
> miracle?
>
> Is it REALLY disappearing, as you think, or is it,
> via rounds of chemo and other medicines, being
> cured?
>
> Instead of deflecting, shifting, tell me...why
> hasn't some guy ever regrown an amputated leg?
>
> Because, we, as human animals, have yet to figure
> that out, that is, how to regrow an amputated body
> part.
>
> But, we study reptiles, because through time and
> evolution, have developed the ability to somewhat
> regenerate body parts.
>
> You know, those evil reptiles, that have come
> about not because of evolution, but because your
> sweet jegus and his daddy designed them so.
>
> Guess they forgot to do that with humans.
>
> Seriously...stop deflecting, equivocating,
> etc...you KNOW your line of reasoning would not
> stand up in any other arena besides religion, and
> you are so used to getting a pass because it is
> your religion.
>
> But a limb regenerating itself is not the same as
> a cure for stage 4 cancer.
>
> Nice try.
>
> If it were, why hasn't a limb ever regenerated
> itself?
>
> You know, a guy with no legs...and then, year
> later...legs?
>
> How come jegus just seems to kind of, you know,
> shy away, avoid that?
>
> And stop with the crazy logic.
>
> Answer that as if you didn't believe in the myth.
>
> You can't.


You are using a strawman argument. We don't know if an amputated limb has grown back or not. For all we know, it happened yesterday in South America somewhere. Just because we don't know if something happened doesn't mean that it hasn't.

And just because someone hasn't flown across the Atlantic Ocean by flapping his arms doesn't mean there is no God. Sorry, not being able to disprove a negative doesn't affirm anything.

You make the same mistake that many make. God is not a magic show act, a genie, or Santa Claus. He doesn't sit around granting wishes or worrying about whether or not some guy on Fairfax Underground believes in Him or fretting about how to get more people to believe in Him. Your faith isn't that important to Him. We were all created to be one thing to God. Whether or not we are that is up to us. He has given us the directions. We are free to follow or not.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: It's really quite simple ()
Date: April 15, 2019 05:26PM

think about it Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And you try and make "believing" sound so, I don't
> know...good!
>
> Would you feel the same way about someone who
> believed in Superman? Lord of the Rings? Harry
> Potter?
>
> Probably not.
>
> I wouldn't.
>
> Why do you think your irrational belief is any
> different?
>
> because you surround yourself with others of a
> similar mindset, who are rewarded here on earth
> for this belief and the systems that come with
> it.
>
> But if you really stop and think about it, your
> beliefs are no better than superman, or lord of
> the rings, or...
>
> You just get rewarded for it.


Because I can show you who invented Superman. Who invented the LOTR. Who invented Harry Potter. But no one can explain how the universe came into existence. How something came from nothing. How the laws of physics must be ignored to believe in macro-evolution at a universal scale. How the mathematical odds of earth existing and being populated by self-aware intelligent life is far, far higher than someone being able to fly across the Atlantic Ocean just by flapping his arms.

Belief is God is not comparable to modern works of fiction. People believed in God before there was a Bible (Torah) or a written language.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: which god? ()
Date: April 15, 2019 05:36PM

And so, since you can show who "invented" superman...LOTR...Harry Potter...and you can't show who "invented" the bible, it must therefore be legit and accurate?

And since people believed in god (which one? There have been, and are, hundreds throughout history) before written language, therefore...what?

Legit?

Really? Is that the best that can be done?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: One small change ()
Date: April 15, 2019 06:24PM

Belief in Bigfoot is not comparable to modern works of fiction. People believed in Bigfoot before there was a Bible (Torah) or a written language.

I guess Bigfoot must exist too!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: Godel wrong, Poincare correct ()
Date: April 15, 2019 06:55PM

"Because I can show you who invented Superman. Who invented the LOTR. Who invented Harry Potter. But no one can explain how the universe came into existence. How something came from nothing. How the laws of physics must be ignored to believe in macro-evolution at a universal scale. How the mathematical odds of earth existing and being populated by self-aware intelligent life is far, far higher than someone being able to fly across the Atlantic Ocean just by flapping his arms."

Science has made massive strides in understanding the universe. Due to the miraculous nature of Science, it seems for every question answered, 10 questions get asked. One can always find unanswered questions.

A concrete example might be revealing. Primitive people did not understand electromagnetism and thought magnets were signs of God's miracles. We now know they are not.

Of all the answers that Science has discovered, not once has it been "God did it!".

The point is "We don't know yet, therefore GOD...The End" is not a valid inference.

The truth is "We don't know yet, let's research and find out" is the only way we will actually find the answers...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: WHATAFUKINDUMBFUCK ()
Date: April 15, 2019 07:02PM

to whatadumbf*** Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And so, mr. "whatadumf***" first, i thought
> christians werent supposed to cuss, and second, if
> in fact I'm sitting in my mom's basement (she died
> in the early 90's) wouldn't you be doing the
> same?
>
> Not that I give a f&*& (don't cuss), but
> seriously?
>
> What community do you belong to?

and I thought libtardz were all welcoming. Odd.

I'm always tested, that's how life works. The true measure of a man isn't how he acts when people are watching, but how they act when they think no one is watching. It obvious what camp you are in. Me? I gladly offer a hand up when I'm able. You aren't looking for a hand up. In this case that refers to knowledge. So why should I bang my head against a wall for nothing? You aren't ready to learn anything. Perhaps when youre mature you'll have an honest conversation with someone about what faith is.

now fuck off

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: hlgtta ()
Date: April 15, 2019 10:24PM

Why so angry?

Your emotions do seem to get the best of you, and possibly cloud your judgment.

do you have trouble at work, assuming you have a job of any consequence?

Somebody asks you something you might not agree with, and you cuss, call them names, and assume something about their political point of view?

Do you love god?

You sure do seem angry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: the truth is ()
Date: April 15, 2019 10:32PM

Still waiting for someone to tell me why god doesn't choose the miracle of limb regeneration.

Why does he shoot for low hanging fruit, stuff that might be confused with something a doctor might also be able to pull off?

I'll tell you this...I might be a "believer" if one day, one of my buddies who is missing his leg below the knee, said "come with me...there's this church guy who says he can fix this"

And we go, and all the sudden...a perfectly formed lower leg starts forming...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure at the point, I'd say, "man, I gotta rethink EVERYTHING...that looks like a freakin miracle to me!"

Nope, it's always some "miracle" of a dubious nature.

That doesn't make you wonder?

Man, it really, really should.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: arm grows back in south america ()
Date: April 15, 2019 10:46PM

It's really quite simple Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, nice try (not really) Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why isn't stage 4 cancer disappearing less of a
> > miracle?
> >
> > Is it REALLY disappearing, as you think, or is
> it,
> > via rounds of chemo and other medicines, being
> > cured?
> >
> > Instead of deflecting, shifting, tell me...why
> > hasn't some guy ever regrown an amputated leg?
> >
> > Because, we, as human animals, have yet to
> figure
> > that out, that is, how to regrow an amputated
> body
> > part.
> >
> > But, we study reptiles, because through time
> and
> > evolution, have developed the ability to
> somewhat
> > regenerate body parts.
> >
> > You know, those evil reptiles, that have come
> > about not because of evolution, but because
> your
> > sweet jegus and his daddy designed them so.
> >
> > Guess they forgot to do that with humans.
> >
> > Seriously...stop deflecting, equivocating,
> > etc...you KNOW your line of reasoning would not
> > stand up in any other arena besides religion,
> and
> > you are so used to getting a pass because it is
> > your religion.
> >
> > But a limb regenerating itself is not the same
> as
> > a cure for stage 4 cancer.
> >
> > Nice try.
> >
> > If it were, why hasn't a limb ever regenerated
> > itself?
> >
> > You know, a guy with no legs...and then, year
> > later...legs?
> >
> > How come jegus just seems to kind of, you know,
> > shy away, avoid that?
> >
> > And stop with the crazy logic.
> >
> > Answer that as if you didn't believe in the
> myth.
> >
> > You can't.
>
>
> You are using a strawman argument. We don't know
> if an amputated limb has grown back or not. For
> all we know, it happened yesterday in South
> America somewhere. Just because we don't know if
> something happened doesn't mean that it hasn't.
>
> And just because someone hasn't flown across the
> Atlantic Ocean by flapping his arms doesn't mean
> there is no God. Sorry, not being able to
> disprove a negative doesn't affirm anything.
>
> You make the same mistake that many make. God is
> not a magic show act, a genie, or Santa Claus. He
> doesn't sit around granting wishes or worrying
> about whether or not some guy on Fairfax
> Underground believes in Him or fretting about how
> to get more people to believe in Him. Your faith
> isn't that important to Him. We were all created
> to be one thing to God. Whether or not we are
> that is up to us. He has given us the directions.
> We are free to follow or not.

We pretty much know that somebody has not had a limb grow back.

If you want to tell me that it has possibly happened somewhere, and we just might not have heard about it, do you really believe that, or are you trying some silly logic trick? Me thinks... no, me knows, 'tis the latter.

And you do too, unless you are lying to yourself about that, as well.

I used it merely to illustrate the dubious nature of some of the claims surrounding a belief in a god...people do cite certain things as miracles...and I have pointed out that these miracles are occurrences that are not really that miraculous at all...in these cases, just the course of nature, or a doctor, could execute the exact same thing.

Don't know what your point about somebody flapping their wings across the Atlantic is, I do see it as just another technique to obfuscate and confuse the issue, so that the real point of dubious miracles can be muddied up and avoided.

On one hand, you say "we don't know that somebody hasn't grown a limb back", which is really an acknowledgment on your part that this might be a good example of a true miracle...and then you go on to try and establish that hey, true miracles aren't important to the establishment of the truth of god's existence...

You can't have it both ways.

And no, nobody has had a limb grow back.

Don't be silly. It smacks of desperation.

I don't blame you, because you don't have much else to go on, but c'mon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: some light reading ()
Date: April 15, 2019 10:49PM

Im hesitant to mention this because you don't seem like your open to the belief of faith. But this was very well documented for the time, and still unexplainable. Thus worthy of miracle status.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_F%C3%A1tima

and this was a one hour programe on the NatGeo channel, I found it very interesting, there are things the camera crew picked up that just don't translate to a print article..

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/10/jesus-christ-tomb-burial-church-holy-sepulchre/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: well, what? ()
Date: April 15, 2019 11:12PM

Yeah, I kinda looked at both links...

Not sure what the point of them is...

The first seems like some story from South America in 1917, some kids and a nun having weird and fantastic visions...

The second one is a team of archeologists or scientists digging up a tomb that some believe to be JC's himself?

So?

Is there some incredible point to them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: looked again ()
Date: April 15, 2019 11:31PM

Sure, I took another look at the first one...it seems one of the "miracles" is this nun predicted the start of WWII?

I'm no historian, but, I think many people saw what was happening in Europe after WWI, and, Germany's discontent with the Treaty of Versailles, and, its economic situation as a result thereof, and, treaties and pacts between various belligerents...and, predicted the same.

Either way, it looked a tad bit like watered down Nostradomus type stuff.

What it did establish for me, though, is the fact that the church, and various adherents to the bible, do in fact place importance on "miracles" (contrary to a poster, above, who seemed to say that miracles aren't important to religious folk).

I don't know, but I honestly didn't see anything that miraculous in what the nun did.

In making an analogy to curing a disease or affliction, it seem to be more towards the side of a "miracle cancer cure" (at best), than a miraculous regeneration of a limb.

Sorry, but don't see much else there.

Honestly.

But thanks, though, for what seems to be a genuine effort.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: FFU is not social media ()
Date: April 15, 2019 11:44PM

and back to YOU Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Besides this FFXU, which I'm not sure is social
> media.
>
>

it is anti-social media

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: ok then ()
Date: April 15, 2019 11:47PM

Thanks for your opinion!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: Fatama...really? ()
Date: April 16, 2019 12:43AM

looked again Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sure, I took another look at the first one...it
> seems one of the "miracles" is this nun predicted
> the start of WWII?
>
> I'm no historian, but, I think many people saw
> what was happening in Europe after WWI, and,
> Germany's discontent with the Treaty of
> Versailles, and, its economic situation as a
> result thereof, and, treaties and pacts between
> various belligerents...and, predicted the same.
>
> Either way, it looked a tad bit like watered down
> Nostradomus type stuff.
>
> What it did establish for me, though, is the fact
> that the church, and various adherents to the
> bible, do in fact place importance on "miracles"
> (contrary to a poster, above, who seemed to say
> that miracles aren't important to religious
> folk).
>
> I don't know, but I honestly didn't see anything
> that miraculous in what the nun did.
>
> In making an analogy to curing a disease or
> affliction, it seem to be more towards the side of
> a "miracle cancer cure" (at best), than a
> miraculous regeneration of a limb.
>
> Sorry, but don't see much else there.
>
> Honestly.
>
> But thanks, though, for what seems to be a genuine
> effort.

Fatima,, really....

what's next, Nostradamus?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: already written
Posted by: haagiss ()
Date: April 16, 2019 09:19AM

Yep, seems a little weak to me.

On one hand it seems there is an undercurrent to say that miracles aren't, or shouldn't be, important to the evaluation of god's work,

BUT

On the other hand, if something sniffs of a miracle, it's like, HEY, LOOK AT THIS! Proof positive of God's miracle making ability!

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2


Your Name: 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **     **  **        ********  ********   ******** 
 **     **  **        **    **  **     **  **    ** 
 **     **  **            **    **     **      **   
 **     **  **           **     ********      **    
  **   **   **          **      **           **     
   ** **    **          **      **           **     
    ***     ********    **      **           **     
This forum powered by Phorum.