HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ft. Hunt High School fire in the late '70's
Posted by: matthew musolino ()
Date: June 01, 2014 01:07AM

I am sorry "settle down" movies made a point.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StLouisSchool ()
Date: June 10, 2014 11:51PM

facts:

Bob Smithwick----rich boy, poseur, pretend bully
Musso---tough kid, nothing phony about him
Bill Smithwick----Bob's twin, nicest kid in school. Got dragged in FH burning because of same last name. Shame.
FH football---without Rocky Belk, they would have been 4-6.
Mt Vernon had more college ballplayers.

Posted by: fiyeeeer ()
Date: June 11, 2014 09:38PM

Unfortunately, I believe Rocky Belk passed away a few years ago...is that right?

Ft. Hunt and Mt V were the best schools in the area back then...high number of academy graduates, and Stanford/Princeton/other Ivy's...

Mt V football won states in the early 80's, I believe.

Bottom line, I view the burning as probably nothing more than a bad idea that went wrong...who didn't do stupid stuff in high school, but got lucky and nothing went horribly wrong?

I sure did.

Them's were wild times, and I'm glad I came out relatively unscathed...had me a good time, though.

Posted by: TBD ()
Date: June 14, 2014 12:36AM

No one despises you, Musso - it's just a fascinating story, particularly if you grew up in the area and remember when it was going on.

Since you're opening up so much, how did the fight start in front of your house that summer when another kid's jaw was broken?

Do you still keep in touch with or know what happened to Tim and Bob?

Date: June 14, 2014 01:05AM

well I see the basic bullshit has stopped while I was away, but I have to give ______0 credit for understanding that the women in 79 were great, as far as bushyall I have to say is. although they (women of 79)usually possessed a generous thicket then, I am sure they have now nocked down the reason for my consistent picking of teeth and light spitting. I hope you have the great time but also understand that eventually, you will marry have kids and wake up every morning wondering how you survived a 14 year old daughter, or better yet why you did not kick the shit out of her 16 year old boyfriend. Times change my brother.

Pooch you are an idiot! you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

as far as asddfg whatever I hope your asswhole gets infested with the fleas of a thousand camels, you douche.

Mister Meaner, I was athlete, we did not go to class as you did. I will tell you what, tell me who you are and lets see. oh and remember I had fire thing as a deficit, I should working in fast food. what are you doing?

Posted by: Matt musolino ()
Date: June 17, 2014 11:18PM

Now that's a good question from TBD, I do not remember the fight in front of my house , or should I say the many fight, My house was a party house I lived by myself since I was 17 maybe even 16, a rental house next to my fathers. Had Primo our dog on guard he hated everyone. I really do not remember that incident or that persons jaw broke. I do not dought it. I remember the good times, the bad times, youth and the irrevocable right to stand up as one. my parties were Ft Hunt , Mt Vernon, Groveton, Hayfield, Edison you name it. we were mostly one, fights happened, wrong school, bad blood, usually a girl. It happened. Do not believe that about me a Bobby Martelli we were good friends, never fought. never fought I think from anyone from Mt Vernon. Groveton, we all made up. good times back then.
No I have not talked with Tim and Bob in more than 20 years.

Matt

Posted by: Matt Musolino ()
Date: June 17, 2014 11:25PM

Thank you for you thoughts fyreeeee Your right it was a bad night that should have never happened. One of the biggest regrets of my life was hearing of the loss of Rocky Belk and not connecting with him before. the last time I talked with him was at University of Miami when I was there in Miami. I miss him, he is a great loss, we really need to treasure gifts like Rocky Belk. That's all I have to say about that.

Posted by: Nostradamus ()
Date: June 18, 2014 09:35AM

Matthew Musolino Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well first I should say I am sorry for all I have
> done and all I have been involved in. The fort
> hunt fire was a terrible thing, I loved Fort Hunt
> all its students and all its teachers and all its
> staff. First I should have never have gone their.
> I lived in the Groveton area and since I did so
> well in the football single A schools in Florida I
> was asked to see FT. Hunt. I started school their
> half way through my freshman year. I loved the
> school and I excelled, lets get to the night of
> the fire, I was home and Tim Greer and Bob
> Smithwick came by my house and talked about hoe
> pissed they were at Dr. Manning at the time David
> Eads had a motorcycle at the house we could not
> start we went with a sprite bottle and got 17
> cents worth of gas from my family gas station and
> tried to start it again. it was mentioned how mush
> of a ass Dr. Manning was and it was suggested to
> go and singed Dr. Mannings Desk. we left my house
> and went to the culdisack behind the tennis courts
> at ft hunt with less that half of the original gas
> that was in the bottle , Me and Bob got out of the
> car while Tim Greer was driving and too drunk to
> walk, he never got out of the car, a green nova I
> think, me and Bob went towards the offices and
> after the tennis courts I said "hey this is
> stupid" and I turned around and went back to the
> car I was almost at the car when Bob came by me
> and said come on its going up" and I turned around
> and looked and saw nothing and said your full of
> shit. Tim woke up and drove us home. that's the
> story, no one went on top of the school, in the
> school. My uncle Anthony always said someone went
> in the school because of the damage it never
> happened there was not enough time and Bob told me
> later he never went into the school. during the
> investigation Tim turned himself in, although my
> father had a great deal of influence in the police
> department it was presented to him to turn me in
> because really Tim never saw anything and the fact
> that Bill told so any people at a party at Paul
> Shelkins he did us a favor he turned his son in
> "me" under the condition I would get a mister
> meaner and no one would get longer sentence than
> me. Now you might not believe it but my father had
> a great deal of influence in that area RT 1. That
> night I lost many scholarships, my father lost
> prestige influence ,friend and momey, my brother
> lost his future at FT Hunt, friends, respect all
> the years I played sports with a vigor and
> attitude that most players think about. After this
> I was called a rat or snitch not happening Tim
> told the story, Bill gave the story validity, My
> father saved our lives. What we all did with it
> after that is a different story.

Matthew - I read your story above and it seems very sincere to me. It's a shame that you got into any trouble at all. If you changed your mind and turned around and were almost back to the car when the incident happened, it seems that your common sense took over and told you that throwing a gas filled botle at the school was wrong.

I'm glad that you made a success of your life and moved on from this terrible incident.

Posted by: Tim Greer ()
Date: September 13, 2014 04:06AM

No problem Matt III (or is it Jr?).

We're just wondering why you're hanging around ranting and posting on this 'stupid little blog' 35 years later. Is it really you or a relative (i.e. son, nephew, cousin)?

Posted by: Baha ()
Date: November 03, 2014 03:31PM

I was class of 79 and was on a school ski trip in Vermont when we heard the news. Matt Tim and smithwick were friends of mine. We were all shocked and upset especially since it was our senior year. The event was a huge disruption. We did complain about Mr Budd and Manning but never thought something like arson would have occurred.

Posted by: Stratford ()
Date: January 31, 2015 11:45PM

It seems a Bob Smithwick, 54 years old, residing in Marietta Ga, just passed away?

Pretty dang young...

Posted by: stlouis ()
Date: February 01, 2015 12:17AM

Yep, that's Bob. His sister Susan is the only one left. His twin Bill died 10 years ago. Godspeed...

Posted by: Luke smithwick ()
Date: February 20, 2015 11:02AM

This is Luke Smithwick son of bob Smithwick my dad passed away 1/25/15 and anyone who has any cool story's they want to share with me that would be awesome he only talked about the fire once and said he didn't get in much trouble

Posted by: bumper MtV ()
Date: February 20, 2015 08:14PM

Didn't know your dad.

Did know the time and the place...which were ca-razy, and the fire at the time was big, big news.

From what I heard, one might chalk the fire up to teen age hijinks that went a little too far. Other people (which may or may not have included me) did, and got away with, much crazier and much stupider things...and, they were dam lucky. Nothing went wrong, nobody got hurt, and the next day, it was a funny story.

And, we went on with life and things turned out just fine. Unfortunately for your dad, and the school, this prank just took a bad turn.

I laugh at the people that villify teenagers who have done a stupid thing or two. Most people who didn't do something stupid back then, it was only because they were too scared (and not cause they gave a sh** otherwise...they were just scared), but boy did they love telling the stories.

Later in life, I have seen those "straight arrows" do REAL stupid stuff later in life...real greasy stuff...real WTF stuff...cheating on spouses...bad work issues, etc...the "wild ones" in high school had moved on.

That's all.

Not suggesting anyone go out and do stupid stuff, just sayin' that many kids back then who did questionable/stupid things and it went wrong weren't really bad guys at all.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Maybe that will spur some stories about your dad.

Posted by: same deal ()
Date: February 20, 2015 09:02PM

Sorry about your Dad, I think I went to one of those keg parties, but I can't remember where that house was, Ft. Hunt Rd?

Posted by: Non Pyro of 1979 ()
Date: February 20, 2015 11:11PM

I went to High School in the Burke/Fairfax area in the late 70's and I remember the fire at Ft.Hunt

We were average 17 year old Party Hardy, bong hit taking, beer drinking, girl chasing, Camaro driving teenagers.

We had fist fights, went to Super 29 Drive In, field parties, The Nike Site, field parties, and the trips to OC.

But we never burned down Robinson HS as much as there were asshole teachers and staff. ALL ADULTS WERE UN-COOL.

3 Dirtbags caused 4.5 million dollars in damage, and they should have been made to pay up. We the taxpayers of Fairfax County paid for their little stunt.

You were/are Assholes.

Posted by: Wooderson ()
Date: February 20, 2015 11:24PM

Non Pyro of 1979 Wrote:
> I went to High School in the Burke/Fairfax area in
> the late 70's and I remember the fire at Ft.Hunt
>
> We were average 17 year old Party Hardy, bong hit
> taking, beer drinking, girl chasing, Camaro
> driving teenagers.
>
> We had fist fights, went to Super 29 Drive In,
> field parties, The Nike Site, field parties, and
> the trips to OC.
>
> But we never burned down Robinson HS as much as
> there were asshole teachers and staff. ALL ADULTS
> WERE UN-COOL.
>
> 3 Dirtbags caused 4.5 million dollars in damage,
> and they should have been made to pay up. We the
> taxpayers of Fairfax County paid for their little
> stunt.
>
> You were/are Assholes.

You paid for their stunt?

How much?

You had fistfights? Cool, man.

Freakin pothead.

Posted by: Wooderson ()
Date: February 20, 2015 11:25PM

You paid for their stunt?

How much?

You had fistfights? Cool, man.

Freakin pothead.

Posted by: groveton 79 ()
Date: February 24, 2015 06:41PM

I was a senior at Groveton when this happened. Sharing the school was OK, but we were bummed when you switched to Mt Vernon in spring, Senior year being out of school and track practice by 2pm was something we looked forward to.

Musso, your story seems to be missing something, schools do not erupt in fire with three drunk kids in the parking lot and why apologize if all you did was walk around the outside of the school.

Also the story was the fire was set to burn down the school because you had a full football scholarship but need not have the grades to meet the NCAA standards, so if you burned the administrative offices you could just tell them what your grades were. That is the story that was always told around Groveton and Mt Vernon and has been told for years by lots of people.

Posted by: oh c'mon now ()
Date: February 24, 2015 07:08PM

Man, I read "Musso's" account here, and he seemed to go into pretty good detail as to what happened.

And why.

I put Musso in quotes, because who knows if it was actually him...sounded pretty knowledgeable about things, though.

Sorry you're still bummed about a later start to track practice back in 79.

Posted by: Redman ()
Date: March 01, 2015 08:42PM

Unforgiven.
Thatz right.
Unforgiven.
Capeche?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2015 07:08PM by Redman.

Posted by: Redman ()
Date: March 01, 2015 08:57PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2015 09:07PM by Redman.

Posted by: Stratfordius ()
Date: April 10, 2015 07:11AM

Was there a Smithwick brother, Tim or Tom, that was related to these guys that went to Ft Hunt high in the 60's?

Also, was General Smithwick this guys dad?

I wonder what it was like for these guys living in this community after the fire...seems like from the posts here, life went on...

Posted by: Ole Lady Local ()
Date: April 10, 2015 10:18AM

Stratfordius Wrote:
> Was there a Smithwick brother, Tim or Tom, that
> was related to these guys that went to Ft Hunt
> high in the 60's?
>
> Also, was General Smithwick this guys dad?
>
> I wonder what it was like for these guys living in
> this community after the fire...seems like from
> the posts here, life went on...

Not quite old enough to have firsthand info, but I seem to recall that one of the boys involved had a high ranking military officer father. There were allegations and whispers that this dad, due to his rank and perceived gravitas, pulled some strings so that his son didn't get much of a punishment. I think the Smithwicks were all related.

Posted by: yCNub ()
Date: April 11, 2015 03:10PM

my parents told me this had happened

they then played a head game of pretending i was a horrible child for not reacting "as they had expected" to the news (a thing they did daily, actually)

i was very young had no idea where the school was or what had really happened

i had mearly shrugged and said "oh" or something. had not laughed or cried.

Posted by: federales ()
Date: April 12, 2015 08:08PM

School looks a little like old days, but now has a turf football field, and, some new "neighborhoods" are built around it, basically, a couple of cul de sacs off of Fort Hunt Rd with like 3 to 5 houses...

Looks like the scoreboard on the football field is from back when.

Don't see the cannons in front.

Oh, the old days.

Posted by: Spirit Of '76 ()
Date: May 23, 2015 06:51PM

The cannons are back ! Long live FHHS !

Posted by: Wayne Wood ()
Date: June 23, 2015 10:48PM

I was watching a "TedTalk" on YouTube, and Jacqueline Novogratx mentioned Muso on one of her talks about the "Blue Sweater"...LOL.

Some story about standing jock hall, it sounded like.

Posted by: Let Bygones Be Bygones ()
Date: June 24, 2015 10:47AM

That school has been a middle school longer than it ever was a high school. But you'd never know it to listen to the FH alums that are just a tad fanatical about tell you that they went to Ft. Hunt.

Posted by: groovertown ()
Date: August 24, 2015 12:55PM

Grew up in the area, and remember this as a great cautionary tale.

It was an incredible "whodunit" of the day for those of us who lived around and probably for those who didn't as well.

Question for those that might know/remember-how the heck did these guys continue to have run ins with the cops and graduate HS that spring? Weren't they under watch?

Were they right back in the high school population to graduate with their peers that spring? How awkward was that?

I might agree with the posters that make it seem that this was just a crazy prank that went horribly wrong

Posted by: nodope ()
Date: May 15, 2016 05:10PM

I went to Ft. Hunt and graduated in '79. I knew all three of the students affected by the fire. Just a few corrections: Bob Smithwick's father was a Colonel, Tim Greer's father a Major General, and I think we know Matt Musolini's father owned a gas station on rt. 1.

Anyone who thinks their fathers' careers aided in them getting a lesser sentence is crazy! First of all, all three of them admitted when interviewed separately, that their intent was to break some windows or burn a desk. One of them (Tim I think) was passed out in the car off school property, so he didn't play a role in the fire. Yet he was still found guilty of Felony Arson -- you call that getting let off the hook? Bob pled guilty, so he too was convicted of Felony Arson. If you've ever filled out a college application or job application you know that you're always asked if you've ever been convicted of a felony! Their lives were ruined right then and there. Given Matt's story, he had a change of heart and turned around and went back to the car, so he didn't play a role in the fire either. Because of his deal he was able to get off with a Misdemeanor, so he could at least have much better luck with jobs in the future!

Someone that went to the one trial told me that the judge gave the same sentence to all three of the boys. I believe the two that were convicted of felonies were given the minimum of 2 years (and remember, one was passed out)!! I'm pretty sure the judge said Matt may just have a misdemeanor, but he wanted to make sure he served the same amount of time in jail as the other two did. I have no idea if that happened or not though.

Seriously, now that we're in our 50's, surely we can agree that they were just boys?! And they were all pretty decent guys if memory serves! The thing that stood out to me back then was how much people were drinking in high school! Didn't Matt say Tim couldn't even walk? There was way too much alcohol available for high school-aged kids back then! Way, way too much alcohol! I feel pretty certain in saying that if they had been sober, none of this would have happened.

Anyway, Bob's passed away, mixed reports on Tim, and Matt's still around. I say let these poor guys move on from a mistake from 37 years ago already!! With what little knowledge I have of the law, I suspect these guys have paid dearly for this prank.

Posted by: mtver ()
Date: May 15, 2016 06:38PM

Agreed with many of the sentiments above.

On one hand, stupid prank gone wrong, doubt they were thinking it would go so bad. On the other hand, though, perhaps they put themselves in a bad position, should they have been doing something else at 1 in the morning instead of driving all around drunk thinking of fire?

Vaguely remember the Ft Hunt football backfield and RB Belk went to Miami, brief NFL, QB Hurst went to Uva. Does anyone recall Musso, if he was a big-time recruit? Don't recall, but reading through the thread it sounds like he was headed to La Tech.

Anyone remember if he was big time?

Also, reading through the thread, was anyone struck by how it seemed that "life went on" for these guys the rest of their senior years, it sounds like parties, fights, turfing assistant principals lawns and things like that?

Does anyone remember what these guys were like that spring? Did they go to school with the rest of their classmates? Were they hated?

After all, they were looking down the barrel of what may have been some pretty serious jail time

Posted by: k3xNh ()
Date: May 18, 2016 09:32AM

k3xNh

Posted by: saintlouis ()
Date: August 24, 2016 11:02AM

I played against MM. He was a blocking fullback...short/stocky. Would have been a scout teamer at any mid-major college, until grades would have made him ineligible by second semester freshman year.

I saw him get throw out of Winston's bar in Georgetown around 1981 for being sloppy drunk, obnoxious. As he was leaving, he threatened to burn the place down...."DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM???"

Posted by: LOLz ()
Date: August 24, 2016 12:36PM

saintlouis Wrote:
> I played against MM. He was a blocking
> fullback...short/stocky. Would have been a scout
> teamer at any mid-major college, until grades
> would have made him ineligible by second semester
> freshman year.
>
> I saw him get throw out of Winston's bar in
> Georgetown around 1981 for being sloppy drunk,
> obnoxious. As he was leaving, he threatened to
> burn the place down...."DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM???"

That might be seen as pretty dang funny.

Looks like he might have got his sense of humor back, at least.

Posted by: Matthew Musolino ()
Date: September 05, 2016 02:14AM

I never burnt anything, I can barely get my grill started. I have been accused of burning my school , my fathers business, his hotels and now a club in Georgetown.
I loved Ft. Fort Hunt what it gave me, the friends I made I will always cherish, my coaches, teachers and again the School "FT Hunt" Ft Hunt is more than a Institution but a living breathing part of the soul and character of the alumni that lived it. These are your heads of military, corporations, politics and the heads of households. Ft Hunt is bigger than you.
as for me you can't break me. and yea I was short and stocky, fast too, and at least I own my past. No I do not know you, nor do I want to. You could not be a friend of mine the friends I have are still my friends today.

LOLz either come out of the closet your in, or go fuck yourself. I don't care. It really makes no difference. look at what I have done and what you have done and all I have done is uphill, and I agree my fault.

try to do what I did, raise the family I raised, then judge

Posted by: MJF ()
Date: September 29, 2016 09:11PM

Matt-My prayers out to your wife and family. Hope the outcome was better than expected.
You apologized. That's more than enough for me. Wasn't necessary. We have all done things we wish we hadn't.

Yepper, Adam Lanza? REALLY??? Three kids get hammered and make a mistake that gets out of control. No one injured or killed. The other is a raving mad man who kills his mother, takes her semiautomatic weapons and kills elementary school kids and teachers. I live in CT. My kids are still seeing the effects with cops in every school up here. I don't see the connection. I guess that Fort Hunt education was useless.

For me, that fire was life lesson #1 in being resilient, adapting to unexpected circumstances and staying positive.
Split shifts at the other 2 schools was great. I was able to have more fun the second half of the year than the other 3 put together. I miss those pick up hockey games at Mt. Vernon Arena late on Wed. nights.

Mark Fleming Fort Hunt High School, Class of 79

Posted by: matt musolino ()
Date: October 12, 2016 03:31AM

Mark Fleming,

Thank you.

Date: October 12, 2016 04:13AM

I was going to let this go, but when did I ever get tossed out of a Georgetown bar and threaten to burn it are you people out of your mind. and mid college, do you know what I lost when the fire happened do you have any idea of the college opportunities I lost from 1 night. who are you people to judge me almost 40 years later. If really you want to know you people killed Bob and probably Bill, not sure what happened to Tim but you probably took your toll on him, let me tell you have a better chance of seeing Jesus than taking me. And if any one of you want to take your old judging on the internet ass face to face with me, just hit me up. I'm game. I swore I was not getting pulled into this, do you realize how many people your hate affected. over one night of stupidity, and almost 40 years ago. I have read where you people said I have burned my fathers business down, my house, a business in Georgetown., or even threatened it. What the fuck is the matter with you people, are you so fucking shallow you have to hold on to something for 40 years. You people are unforgiving you have no soul. every day since that fire has been an accomplishment. I have a daughter Tori that bought her first house at 23 with no help from me, a son Zac that is in college on his own, his mother past away from cancer 6 weeks before he graduated high school and my youngest son 12 straight A's playing guitar and piano and on the beach everyday he can. All of them are a better persons than me. The point is I am evil I will beat down, destroy or even kill anything or anyone that stand in the way of my family. Thread lightly you asswholes because one day my children may be who you answer too.
On another note I was a better athlete than at least 90% of could ever even think of being.

Posted by: F them! ()
Date: October 12, 2016 02:54PM

matthew musolino Wrote:
> I was going to let this go, but when did I ever
> get tossed out of a Georgetown bar and threaten to
> burn it are you people out of your mind. and mid
> college, do you know what I lost when the fire
> happened do you have any idea of the college
> opportunities I lost from 1 night. who are you
> people to judge me almost 40 years later. If
> really you want to know you people killed Bob and
> probably Bill, not sure what happened to Tim but
> you probably took your toll on him, let me tell
> you have a better chance of seeing Jesus than
> taking me. And if any one of you want to take your
> old judging on the internet ass face to face with
> me, just hit me up. I'm game. I swore I was not
> getting pulled into this, do you realize how many
> people your hate affected. over one night of
> stupidity, and almost 40 years ago. I have read
> where you people said I have burned my fathers
> business down, my house, a business in
> Georgetown., or even threatened it. What the fuck
> is the matter with you people, are you so fucking
> shallow you have to hold on to something for 40
> years. You people are unforgiving you have no
> soul. every day since that fire has been an
> accomplishment. I have a daughter Tori that bought
> her first house at 23 with no help from me, a son
> Zac that is in college on his own, his mother past
> away from cancer 6 weeks before he graduated high
> school and my youngest son 12 straight A's playing
> guitar and piano and on the beach everyday he can.
> All of them are a better persons than me. The
> point is I am evil I will beat down, destroy or
> even kill anything or anyone that stand in the way
> of my family. Thread lightly you asswholes because
> one day my children may be who you answer too.
> On another note I was a better athlete than at
> least 90% of could ever even think of being.

I'm with you, Matthew. F them!

Posted by: Dkvby ()
Date: October 12, 2016 03:09PM

matthew musolino Wrote:

This poster is fake. The real Matthew Musolino lives in the Virginia Beach area.

Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: October 12, 2016 05:13PM

I remember it very well.

My father Clyde E. Phelps was a Gov't teacher at Ft Hunt at the time.

I was in the 4th grade at Washington Mill Elementary.

During Christmas Break (we still called it that back then), he tells me to come over and look at the Newspaper.

Some nitwits, who turned out to be the anti-social nutcase Robert Smithwick, and his cohort Musso(something), whose dad owned the Gasohol selling service station on the right as you descend from Beacon Hill down to Hybla Valley - had set the Principle's office on fire.

Ft. Hunt had to share the Mt. Vernon Highschool building with MV for the second half of the 78-79 school year.

My brother and I ran into a former Ft. Hunt student at the Hallin Hall Safeway a couple of years ago and he said Smithwick was later hired by the U.S. Postal Service (LOL - they take many psychologically challenged people) and that he is now dead.

I don't know about the other two, but many people told my Dad that there was something mentally wrong with Smithwick.

His mom had died young and the Dad was a strict military guy, and he had some big attitude problems.

The guy said that Robert Smithwick's brother was a straight arrow - the opposite of Robert. But, he said the brother became a Cocaine addict and died many years ago.

Apparently, his brother was a very good basketball player.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2016 05:54PM by phelpsmarc.

Date: October 12, 2016 05:20PM

nodope Wrote:
> I went to Ft. Hunt and graduated in '79. I knew
> all three of the students affected by the fire.
> Just a few corrections: Bob Smithwick's father was
> a Colonel, Tim Greer's father a Major General, and
> I think we know Matt Musolini's father owned a gas
> station on rt. 1.
>
> Anyone who thinks their fathers' careers aided in
> them getting a lesser sentence is crazy! First of
> all, all three of them admitted when interviewed
> separately, that their intent was to break some
> windows or burn a desk. One of them (Tim I think)
> was passed out in the car off school property, so
> he didn't play a role in the fire. Yet he was
> still found guilty of Felony Arson -- you call
> that getting let off the hook? Bob pled guilty, so
> he too was convicted of Felony Arson. If you've
> ever filled out a college application or job
> application you know that you're always asked if
> you've ever been convicted of a felony! Their
> lives were ruined right then and there. Given
> Matt's story, he had a change of heart and turned
> around and went back to the car, so he didn't play
> a role in the fire either. Because of his deal he
> was able to get off with a Misdemeanor, so he
> could at least have much better luck with jobs in
> the future!
>
> Someone that went to the one trial told me that
> the judge gave the same sentence to all three of
> the boys. I believe the two that were convicted of
> felonies were given the minimum of 2 years (and
> remember, one was passed out)!! I'm pretty sure
> the judge said Matt may just have a misdemeanor,
> but he wanted to make sure he served the same
> amount of time in jail as the other two did. I
> have no idea if that happened or not though.
>
> Seriously, now that we're in our 50's, surely we
> can agree that they were just boys?! And they were
> all pretty decent guys if memory serves! The thing
> that stood out to me back then was how much people
> were drinking in high school! Didn't Matt say Tim
> couldn't even walk? There was way too much alcohol
> available for high school-aged kids back then!
> Way, way too much alcohol! I feel pretty certain
> in saying that if they had been sober, none of
> this would have happened.
>
> Anyway, Bob's passed away, mixed reports on Tim,
> and Matt's still around. I say let these poor guys
> move on from a mistake from 37 years ago already!!
> With what little knowledge I have of the law, I
> suspect these guys have paid dearly for this
> prank.

The best player of that time period at Ft. Hunt was probably Matt Weathers who was related to the Weathers Trash Service guys from Gum Springs.

He was at least as good as Belk, but bigger.

He played at College in either Illinois or Iowa, but flunked out.

He looked like the type who would make the NFL.

Also, Tom Gibbons, who like Weathers, graduated in '77, was the starting free safety for the University of Notre Dame.

He started in the '81 Surgar Bowl against Herschel Walker and the Georgia Bulldogs.

He tried out for the Denver Broncos in '81 but was cut.

Date: October 12, 2016 05:34PM

Rt 1 Wrote:
> Yes, I remember it. I am planning on writing a
> book on the area, anyone remember the old motels
> along Rt 1...Wagon Wheel...Pines...Mt. V
> Inn...etc...lemme know.
>
> Any other stories/memories of now "historic" Rt 1?

I remember the "Red Barn" restaurant, which was right near Musso's Gasohol.

The building was there for many years after it changed ownership - it might still be there.

I remember the Mt. Vee Hotel and the old Travel Cabins between the Woodlawn McDonald's and the Happy Inn Motel (which just burned - again). It became an Econo Lodge in later times.

I remember Woodlawn Shopping Center had an A & P - now an International Foods place and a People's Drug Store. There was also a small library in the mid '70s at the end of the building.

I remember thinking the Colonial Looking White House across from the Woodlawn McDonald's was really, really old. But, it turns out it was built in the 1940's. It is not there when you look at the 1937 Aerial Map of Fairfax County.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2016 05:35PM by phelpsmarc.

Date: October 12, 2016 05:40PM

82 Major Wrote:
> Was the Greer involved related to Steve or Tom
> Greer?
>
> I remember the plaza, keystone motel, brooks motor
> lodge fire that killed 4 or 5 people, how about
> the engleside grill, christophers/cowboy cafe,
> little detroit. Then Quick Silvers a few years
> later was a happening place for a little bit.
> Zeds, the drive in, the duck pin bowling alley,
> memco, the mount vernon monster...so many
> memories....LoL

Wow, I remember all of the above.

The Keystone and the Rainbow Motels were total dives.

One of my friends' brother became a heroin addict and was living at one of those hotels when we were in Junior High at Walt Whitman. I would think of his brother every time our school bus passed by.

Posted by: Play With Yourself - Not Matches ()
Date: October 12, 2016 06:10PM

matthew musolino Wrote:

When you get some free time take a basic writing class. Your pathetic attempt to express your feelings has shown that you have no ability to compose a couple of simple paragraphs.

Perhaps if you had studied in school, and realized the importance of education, you would not have been compelled to set your high school on fire.

If you do take a writing class - Don't set that school on fire.

Posted by: back in da day ()
Date: October 12, 2016 08:17PM

That team of 77 that an earlier poster spoke of seemed to be loaded...

Weathers went to Illinois, I don't remember him flunking out, I remember him having knee problems. In high school, he was DC player of the year, All-Met, etc...

They also had Tom Gibbons, Notre Dame, a fullback that went to VPI, a DB that went IVY, and another DB that I think went to tech.

Pretty loaded.

Over a short period of time, mid 60's til when it closed, Ft Hunt was in state football playoffs a good number of times, including in 81 when they made it to the finals, losing to GW Danville.

Not so bad for a school that closed a short time later for "declining enrollment", especially when compared to a school of a similar vintage, Langley, that was lousy in football, I don't remember them being a factor in state playoffs at all during that same time period.

I remember at least one year, there were more students in a particular class at West Point from Fort Hunt than any one other high school...I think it was like 11 or something like that.

Musso's class was somewhat loaded as well, backfield with him, Rocky Belk to Miami and NFL, QB went to UVa (Hurst, I think) and a couple of other college level players/talent.

It's hard to knock these guys for one incident...like has been said before, lots of guys did lots of crazy things back then that didn't "blow up" like this did.

Now, if they were "dicks" otherwise, that may be the story.

But I'm not gonna put them in the dick category just because of this...need the whole story.

I'm just amazed at the stories of the spring of their senior year...sounds like there were parties, fights, hangin' out, etc...I'm thinkin if I was involved, my parents would have put me on 24 hr lockdown...

Who knows...

Posted by: Boyz ()
Date: May 30, 2017 10:13AM

Found this the other day. I think it is from the Groveton HS newspaper in 78. It is the contents of the student lockers in "body bags" from FH in the gym at Groveton.
Attachments:
FH.jpg

Posted by: Federales in MV ()
Date: September 19, 2017 02:52PM

Drove by the old FHHS this weekend.

Realized the youngest living graduate of FHHS is now around 50 years old.

Dayum!

Memories...

Posted by: Stockade Driver ()
Date: September 19, 2017 03:05PM

Always heard a rumor that a girl was involved, something like past out in Grerr's car...but no one mentioned her...

Any truth to that? Anyone hear that?

Posted by: matthewMusolino ()
Date: September 25, 2017 12:49AM

This is to "play with yourself" fuck you little prick ass bitch mother fucker. THis is my education. there was never a girl there at all for your information " stockade driver" as for you "Play with yourself" the reason why you call yourself play with yourself is you could not get a piece of ass with fist full of $50. I probably really need to take a course in literary fuck you but, raising a family, banging a beautiful wife and not attending the Nerd Heard meeting you have to go to obtain a picture of the next girl you will put in your spank bank. I do not hide behind a stupid name. here is my number punk 757.339.1898. If you want to know what punk means is, look it up. I'm sure you will understand. call me, really I sick of this shit. and I do look forward to my uneducated, rich ass beating you half to death.

Posted by: Stockader ()
Date: September 25, 2017 01:55PM

Just askin', dude. it was a rumor then.

I'm one of those people who doesn't think that negatively of what happened...

Like others, I chalk it up to stupid drunken hijinx that went a little too far, and a little too wrong. Not some grand plan of destruction that a few drunk teenagers soberly hatched up and spent days planning the execution of

I also realize that about half of us back then did something of a similar nature that could have blown up real bad, but didn't. And so it was just something to laugh about now (and then). we got lucky. thats all

I also think those folks that get all angry about this were people that were afraid to do this kind of stuff. its not that they didnt want to, they were scared to but boy did they love telling stories. Watchers, thats all they were. and now they feel all high and mighty

Eeveryone is young and dumb once. No big deal.

Posted by: pee Mace wan ()
Date: September 25, 2017 03:52PM

Stockader Wrote:
> Just askin', dude. it was a rumor then.
>
> I'm one of those people who doesn't think that
> negatively of what happened...
>
> Like others, I chalk it up to stupid drunken
> hijinx that went a little too far, and a little
> too wrong. Not some grand plan of destruction that
> a few drunk teenagers soberly hatched up and spent
> days planning the execution of
>
> I also realize that about half of us back then did
> something of a similar nature that could have
> blown up real bad, but didn't. And so it was just
> something to laugh about now (and then). we got
> lucky. thats all
>
> I also think those folks that get all angry about
> this were people that were afraid to do this kind
> of stuff. its not that they didnt want to, they
> were scared to but boy did they love telling
> stories. Watchers, thats all they were. and now
> they feel all high and mighty
>
> Eeveryone is young and dumb once. No big deal.

100% right. Which two guys were involved with each other? Was the third part of a triangle or just along for the ride?

Posted by: Benito Mussolini ()
Date: September 25, 2017 06:14PM

Hey, schmucks, I burned down your piece of poo schoo. Shoo.

Sheeite

Yo, schoo, yo

Shit mofo hell

Posted by: FHHS79 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 06:56PM

Don't think too negatively about what happened? WTF? They burned down an entire major high school.....displaced thousands of kids in the middle of the school year.

Carrying a molitav cocktail into school over xmas break to burn down a teacher's desk isn't something that just casually happened....you had to plan the break in, have the propellent, and light the desk on fire. THere was plenty of time for one of them to say what a stupid/viscious idea, let's not do it..but that never happened.

No way the event can that be dismissed as "kids being kids"...what planet are you from?

Posted by: Query ()
Date: September 25, 2017 08:24PM

Millions of dollars to repair the damage.

Did those young and dumb idiots pay for the damage they caused?

Posted by: take it ez ()
Date: September 26, 2017 08:32AM

"plan the break in"...aka, break a window...
"have the propellant"...what the heck is that?

what planet are you from? Arson Terminology R US?

Guys were drunk a threw gas through a broken window is what it sounds like to me.

Something I would have done? NOT a chance.

Some well planned crime? Not really...stupid drunk teenagers

Posted by: fo real ()
Date: September 26, 2017 08:41AM

"burned down an entire major high school"

Really? The entire school...burned down...nothing left standing...just rubble and a parking lot...a few piles of smoldering glass and metal, as if a B-52 strike came through?

Are you sure? Or, just blowing things a little out of proportion?

Posted by: Dr. Vadar ()
Date: September 26, 2017 11:37AM

This is all very Rock 'N Roll High School esque! '79 to boot! Did The Ramones ever play the halls of Fort Hunt?

Posted by: Fo FO Real ()
Date: October 17, 2017 11:43PM

Hey FO....I was there shitbird...I school was condemned....not blowing things out of proportion...you should ask the entire student body who were moved to Groveton for the remaining 5 months of the school year if things were blown out of proportion...

Posted by: Fo Fo Fo Real ()
Date: October 18, 2017 07:41AM

Angry/name caller guy...if you were there, why weren't you charged?

Silly claims, like "burned down the entire high school" and silly terms...like "plan the break in"...and, "have the propellant".

Now, you're claiming you were there?

Let's just talk about the first one-"burned down the entire high school"...so, lemme get this right...nothing left standing. The entire school, burned DOWN, as you say. Describe that more, please. Were there little piles of smoldering glass and metal? Little piles of bricks? But other than that, THE ENTIRE SCHOOL...BURNED DOWN? No structure remaining, at all? Hmmm...that's interesting

Also, since YOU WERE THERE...talk about that? Just where were you? How did you know they used, um, lets see here...a "propellant", as you say?

Did YOU, MR., supply the propellant, SINCE YOU WERE THERE?

Hmmm, all starting to make sense now!

Wowza!

Posted by: Bob Anderson ()
Date: December 29, 2017 02:22AM

That's about the best rip I've ever read, and I'm a professional writer. Yeah, Musso was a class-a asshole-wannabe douchebag. While I'm not surprised he's a coke head, I AM surprised that someone hasn't put a bullet in his fat face.

Date: December 29, 2017 03:07AM

No Musso you aren't evil. You aren't anything other than a clinically-certifiable, megalomaniacal sociopath with psychopathic tendencies. You're the typical kind of thug who, convinced by his own reality-divorced, self-serving propaganda, goes through life operating under the delusion that he really was someone of some importance at some time. Well, I've got news for you Musso, there was never a time in the long, lamentable history of humanity's existence when you were anything other than an obnoxious, belligerent, cretinous vulgarian. As evinced by your pathetically feeble attempts at conjugating grammatically correct sentences, the most you could ever aspire to in a civilized world is that of an illiterate, slack-jawed, knuckle-dragging Neanderthal. You are the kind of maladroit miscreant who can only be found in the backwoods of Appalachia where drooling, mentally-retarded third-cousins inbreed with one another. And finally, what does it matter and what well-adjusted adult really cares if you were a better athlete at one time? That was a long time ago. Most of us have gone on to become contributing members of society, raise families and enjoy positions of influence and prestige. You, in stark contrast, haven't changed at all. You are still behaving like a noisome 18 year-old. In short, you haven't developed at all. You are simply pathetic Musso, just plain pathetic. And by the way, you didn't throw away your college education when you tossed that Molotov cocktail. While you might have been able to get into a college on an athletic scholarship, no self-respecting institution of higher learning would ever graduate a consummate ignoramus such as yourself. Now, go huff and puff and blubber and bluster about what a bad ass you are and how you're going to kick my ass, you convicted arsonist and societal misanthrope, I couldn't give a shit. Once I type the last period in this comment, I will never think of you again. Quite simply, you will cease to exist to me as you have ceased to exist to so many others for so long now. And finally, as to knowing who you are, most of us don't give a damn about you because precious few of us cared then or now to consort with upright-walking, , fecal-flinging Simian apes of your ilk. So do us all a favor and disappear into the perpetual darkness of immemorial obscurity where you belong.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 02:45PM by Bob Anderson.

Posted by: Rocky Belk lives ()
Date: December 29, 2017 12:53PM

Musso was an average player at best. Far to slow and short for the big time...and he was fat. Just a tough nut who was on another underachieving FH team.

Posted by: Bob Anderson LOL ()
Date: December 29, 2017 01:10PM

Bob Anderson Wrote:
> That's about the best rip I've ever read, and I'm
> a professional writer. Yeah, Musso was a class-a
> asshole-wannabe douchebag. While I'm not
> surprised he's a coke head, I AM surprised that
> someone hasn't put a bullet in his fat face.

Professional writer?

Who are you kidding, asshole?

You ever hear of punctuation or starting new paragraphs? Obviously you haven't, based on your last post.

I'm not a fan of Musso, but Bob you sound like a leftard dick who blogs too much.

Fuck your mother and get off this forum.

Posted by: P M A C E W A N ()
Date: December 29, 2017 02:32PM

Bob Anderson LOL Wrote:
> Bob Anderson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That's about the best rip I've ever read, and
> I'm
> > a professional writer. Yeah, Musso was a
> class-a
> > asshole-wannabe douchebag. While I'm not
> > surprised he's a coke head, I AM surprised that
> > someone hasn't put a bullet in his fat face.
>
> Professional writer?
>
> Who are you kidding, asshole?
>
> You ever hear of punctuation or starting new
> paragraphs? Obviously you haven't, based on your
> last post.
>
> I'm not a fan of Musso, but Bob you sound like a
> leftard dick who blogs too much.
>
>
> Fuck your mother and get off this forum.

Considering that Bob went to high school over 30 years ago, I'd rather fuck his daughter.

Date: December 29, 2017 02:40PM

"Fuck your mother and get off this forum."

Brilliant rebuttal. Profoundly incisively and illuminatingly cogent, seldom does editorial commentary such as yours soar to such heights.....ah shit, I can't do it, the pathetic puerileness of your "comment" is just too funny. I'm laughing too hard to type!!! Well, one thing is certain, your parents, if you knew them, are undoubtedly proud of every penny they didn't spend on your education.

Oh, and if you don't like what people have to say, then go fuck your mother yourself....assuming she's still in the kennel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 02:41PM by Bob Anderson.

Posted by: Federaless ()
Date: December 29, 2017 04:59PM

Bob:

Did you go to Fort Hunt HS?

Why so angry after all these years?

Posted by: Class of 80 ()
Date: December 29, 2017 06:38PM

Native Alexandrian Wrote:
> You were there m1datlantic@yahoo.com??? Really???
>
>
> Matt Mussolini, Tim Greer & Bob Smithwick's
> parent’s professions, connections & community
> influence/clout permitted their adult sons to
> perpetrate a very expensive crime with virtual
> impunity. The taxpayer picked up the tab the old
> fashioned way – by being screwed. (And Matt
> Mussolini’s brother, Nick, does him no favors by
> correcting a $4.5 million damage claim on another
> web site by stating that is was actually $11
> million in damage. (Ft. Hunt students were never
> the sharpest tools in the shed! LOL))
>
> And,for the record, Matt’s delusional to think
> he’s welcome to attend anything but a
> mini-reunion with his ‘associates’. Those
> whose lives were upended would welcome Matt & his
> cohorts to a reunion by renting Hummers &
> inadvertently losing control of the vehicles:-)
>
> Lastly, I’m willing to bet that karma caught up
> with all 3 of them & their juvenile associates.

So true -

Posted by: Federalllessss ()
Date: December 30, 2017 10:44AM

The "taxpayer picked up the tab"?

I'm pretty sure the school had insurance...so, insurance proceeds should have been available.

I'm not sure these guys "got off easy".

Did they graduate from Ft Hunt? I thought they were "away" much of their senior year?

Reading a post above, where somebody tried to make it seem as if "the entire school was burned to the ground"...

C'mon, now. No need to exaggerate to that extent.

I saw it, nothing was burned to the ground.

Sure, there was significant damage...but "not to the ground".

Posted by: Time Forgives ()
Date: December 30, 2017 11:00AM

It was 39 years ago - December 30,1978 at 3am

Posted by: Bob is a troll ()
Date: December 30, 2017 11:03AM

Claims to be a writer but just strings together 50 cent words trying to insult.

Starbucks intellectual at best.

Posted by: What a dumbfuck ()
Date: December 30, 2017 11:23AM

Bob Anderson Wrote:
> No Musso you aren't evil. You aren't anything
> other than a clinically-certifiable,
> megalomaniacal sociopath with psychopathic
> tendencies. You're the typical kind of thug who,
> convinced by his own reality-divorced,
> self-serving propaganda, goes through life
> operating under the delusion that he really was
> someone of some importance at some time. Well,
> I've got news for you Musso, there was never a
> time in the long, lamentable history of humanity's
> existence when you were anything other than an
> obnoxious, belligerent, cretinous vulgarian. As
> evinced by your pathetically feeble attempts at
> conjugating grammatically correct sentences, the
> most you could ever aspire to in a civilized world
> is that of an illiterate, slack-jawed,
> knuckle-dragging Neanderthal. You are the kind of
> maladroit miscreant who can only be found in the
> backwoods of Appalachia where drooling,
> mentally-retarded third-cousins inbreed with one
> another. And finally, what does it matter and
> what well-adjusted adult really cares if you were
> a better athlete at one time? That was a long
> time ago. Most of us have gone on to become
> contributing members of society, raise families
> and enjoy positions of influence and prestige.
> You, in stark contrast, haven't changed at all.
> You are still behaving like a noisome 18 year-old.
> In short, you haven't developed at all. You are
> simply pathetic Musso, just plain pathetic. And
> by the way, you didn't throw away your college
> education when you tossed that Molotov cocktail.
> While you might have been able to get into a
> college on an athletic scholarship, no
> self-respecting institution of higher learning
> would ever graduate a consummate ignoramus such as
> yourself. Now, go huff and puff and blubber and
> bluster about what a bad ass you are and how
> you're going to kick my ass, you convicted
> arsonist and societal misanthrope, I couldn't give
> a shit. Once I type the last period in this
> comment, I will never think of you again. Quite
> simply, you will cease to exist to me as you have
> ceased to exist to so many others for so long now.
> And finally, as to knowing who you are, most of
> us don't give a damn about you because precious
> few of us cared then or now to consort with
> upright-walking, , fecal-flinging Simian apes of
> your ilk. So do us all a favor and disappear into
> the perpetual darkness of immemorial obscurity
> where you belong.

You edited this 4 times? I bet Musso kicked your faggot ass when you were kids and you never got over it.

I'm with Musso on that at least. You sound like a pompous turd.

Posted by: Response ()
Date: December 30, 2017 11:26AM

Bob Anderson Wrote:
> "Fuck your mother and get off this forum."
>
> Brilliant rebuttal. Profoundly incisively and
> illuminatingly cogent, seldom does editorial
> commentary such as yours soar to such
> heights.....ah shit, I can't do it, the pathetic
> puerileness of your "comment" is just too funny.
> I'm laughing too hard to type!!! Well, one thing
> is certain, your parents, if you knew them, are
> undoubtedly proud of every penny they didn't spend
> on your education.
>
> Oh, and if you don't like what people have to say,
> then go fuck your mother yourself....assuming
> she's still in the kennel.

Verbose

Posted by: not yet ()
Date: December 30, 2017 11:57AM

Time Forgives Wrote:
> It was 39 years ago - December 30,1978 at 3am

Need 40 years.

Posted by: ollll time ()
Date: December 30, 2017 11:59AM

But you bring up a dam good point.

Talking about this now, is kinda like talking about something that happened in 1939 when we were in school...

Some 40 years earlier.

Date: January 12, 2018 06:15AM

Well I guess I'm a Neanderthal, knuckle rubbing, shit I'm so short when I step off the curb my ass hits the concrete. but lets forget about me. lets talk about my kids Tori 23. Zac 20, Anthony 13. first why would you you put them through this, They all or where straight A student, my Daughter gave me a little problem, but I was there when she was born I was the first person to hold her, the first to change her diaper, the one who put up with all her youth and on Oct 7th gave her away for marriage. My oldest son has a scholastic scholarship at NCU Wilmington and a fellowship this summer in Europe. My youngest son Anthony is 13 straight A student, ADVENT program, but recently played the blues at Abbey roads here in VA Beach. Remember he is 13 and he reads this shit. Now me I could give a shit, I married what I needed strong women, both who give there life for the betterment of our children. Every night homework, every night its done. my children are smarter than me, We agreed to not allow our youngest Anthony to play football, because I said it make no sense. Bottom line is I marries what I needed, great women, that nurtured, cared , raised these children as reasonable caring adults. Now my first wife died and it was a good death. there was a lot of sadness to be expected. but you know that's our problem. If I can anyone advice "marry what you need". This Worked for me, and raised my children and family they are great. so this should put to bed your question how is this family raised family

So lets not worry about my family like I have an Appellation mountain family!
for Christ sake I am not Dave Letterman.
lets get to the anger and you have towards me.

I was there when the school became ablaze, I did not see it because I chickened out, probably not an easy thing to but I was tired and over it in the middle of the tennis courts Bob ran Bob and said it was going up. Well we did not believe it, we Tim and I did not believe it. there was no smoke. nothing. Tim who woke up and had absolutely idea of what was going on as he drove us home. and we left,

lets get to the meat, your ass whole works Killed Bob, this guy was not perfect who is but he was not bad. He raised a family, worked and you haunted
him.
Same with Tim Except Tim Did not know where he was going, he did not participate and was passed out unless he needed to drive.

and yes my children are smart maybe not me, I can find out who writing this shit I will come and beet you half to death.so what I will do is I will send my son on his fellowship to Europe since we are knuckle dragging mother fuckers and then I will humiliate you in front of your friends and family. I have My Brother and my children, wife, respect them, our you will have your mother if the cunt is still alive whisper in your ear for a lot of days that you will be fine. last words on this

Posted by: vn3pc ()
Date: January 12, 2018 12:58PM

Dude, don't do this again when you are shit faced drunk.

Posted by: Stockader from the day ()
Date: January 12, 2018 01:40PM

Musso, not everybody who writes in here hates you, or those other guys.

I don't know you directly, but was around from back then, and know quite a few of your friends.

I, like many people from back then, am interested in 'what happened' as it was a huge story back then and of course before the internet, many weird rumors were started. But even before the internet, it was amazing how word of this stuff traveled from school to school, basically, word of mouth and a few newspaper articles.

I am not one of those haters, as has been said here quite a few times, i recognize that many of us, me included, did a TON of stupid stuff that could have gone real sideways and turned out real bad. but didnt. and we woke up with just a hangover and hazy memories of funny stories.

And then there were the haters back then.

They didnt do wild stuff, not becuase they didnt "want to", but because they were scared. And then, later in life, they turn out to be closet psychos.

I am more interested in the story of what happened, in what was a pretty big then for most fairfax county high schoolers bck then.

No hate, though.

Anybody who is still angry about drunken stupidity by a few teenagers from back in 79, get over it.

Posted by: Federales rule ()
Date: January 12, 2018 01:48PM

its amazing how Greer got the book thrown at him. it sounds like he was on the way outside, passed out drunk. Not part of it, really.

As I recall, Smithwick's dad was a WWII pilot in the Army Air Corps, and has been stated here, Greer's dad was currently serving as an Army General, a West Pointer, as many of our classmates were back then.

So many military parents in that little sliver between Rt 1 and GW Parkway.

Good times, good football teams, FT Hunt had like ten kids from one class go to West Point.

School was going to close either way. Enrollment was way down.

1977 was peak enrollment in the nation for high school, didnt reach that level again until 30 yrs later.

Loved those times.

Posted by: Sad to see ()
Date: January 14, 2018 02:10PM

vn3pc Wrote:
> Dude, don't do this again when you are shit faced
> drunk.

I think Matthew has a drinking problem. His posts are usually early in the morning, rambling in all directions, and have little to no editing for spelling or grammar errors.

Sad to see someone tumble that deep into the abyss of alcoholism.

Date: March 21, 2018 09:00PM

Sad to see Wrote:
> vn3pc Wrote:
> -----
> > Dude, don't do this again when you are shit
> faced
> > drunk.
>
> I think Matthew has a drinking problem. His posts
> are usually early in the morning, rambling in all
> directions, and have little to no editing for
> spelling or grammar errors.
>
> Sad to see someone tumble that deep into the abyss
> of alcoholism.

Posted by: LEGOCONFEDERACY ()
Date: March 21, 2018 09:01PM

Everything is discussed openly in Arlington and every Arlingtonian claims the right to have an opinion on any and all questions. One is Catholic, the other Protestant, one an employee, the other an employer, a capitalist, a socialist, a democrat, an aristocrat. There is nothing dishonorable about choosing one side or the other of a question. Discussions happen in public and where matters are unclear or confused one settles it by argument and counter argument. But there is one problem that is not discussed publicly, one that it is delicate even to mention: the Fairfaxianish question. It is taboo in our republic.

The Fairfaxian is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a scoundrel, parasite, swindler, profiteer, it all runs off him like water off a raincoat. But call him a Fairfaxian and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: “I’ve been found out.”

One cannot defend himself against the Fairfaxian. He attacks with lightning speed from his position of safety and uses his abilities to crush any attempt at defense.

Quickly he turns the attacker’s charges back on him and the attacker becomes the liar, the troublemaker, the terrorist. Nothing could be more mistaken than to defend oneself. That is just what the Fairfaxian wants. He can invent a new lie every day for the enemy to respond to, and the result is that the enemy spends so much time defending himself that he has no time to do what the Fairfaxian really fears: to attack. The accused has become the accuser, and loudly he shoves the accuser into the dock. So it always was in the past when a person or a movement fought the Fairfaxian. That is what would happen to us as well were we not fully aware of his nature, and if we lacked the courage to draw the following radical conclusions:

1. One cannot fight the Fairfaxian by positive means. He is a negative, and this negative must be erased from the Arlingtonian system or he will forever corrupt it.
2. One cannot discuss the Fairfaxianish question with the Fairfaxians. One can hardly prove to a person that one has the duty to render him harmless.
3. One cannot allow the Fairfaxian the same means one would give an honest opponent, for he is no honorable opponent. He will use generosity and nobility only to trap his enemy.
4. The Fairfaxian has nothing to say about Arlingtonian questions. He is a foreigner, an alien, who only enjoys the rights of a guest, rights that he always abuses.
5. The so-called religious morality of the Fairfaxians is no morality at all, rather an encouragement to betrayal. Therefore, they have no claim to protection from the state.
6. The Fairfaxian is not smarter than we are, rather only cleverer and craftier. His system cannot be defeated economically — he follows entirely different moral principles than we do. It can only be broken through political means.
7. A Fairfaxian cannot insult a Arlingtonian. Fairfaxianish slanders are but badges of honor for a Arlingtonian opponent of the Fairfaxians.
8. The more a Arlingtonian person or a Arlingtonian movement opposes the Fairfaxian, the more valuable it is. If someone is attacked by the Fairfaxians, that is a sure sign of his virtue. He who is not persecuted by the Fairfaxians, or who is praised by them, is useless and dangerous.
9. The Fairfaxian evaluates Arlingtonian questions from the Fairfaxianish standpoint. As a result, the opposite of what he says must be true.
10. One must either affirm or reject anti-fairfaxianism. He who defends the Fairfaxians harms his own people. One can only be a Fairfaxianish lackey or a Fairfaxianish opponent. Opposing the Fairfaxians is a matter of personal hygiene.

Date: March 21, 2018 09:02PM

Fuck You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Sayuri ()
Date: March 21, 2018 09:22PM

This is the truth about fairfax:

Everything is discussed openly in Arlington and every Arlingtonian claims the right to have an opinion on any and all questions. One is Catholic, the other Protestant, one an employee, the other an employer, a capitalist, a socialist, a democrat, an aristocrat. There is nothing dishonorable about choosing one side or the other of a question. Discussions happen in public and where matters are unclear or confused one settles it by argument and counter argument. But there is one problem that is not discussed publicly, one that it is delicate even to mention: the Fairfaxianish question. It is taboo in our republic.

The Fairfaxian is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a scoundrel, parasite, swindler, profiteer, it all runs off him like water off a raincoat. But call him a Fairfaxian and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: “I’ve been found out.”
One cannot defend himself against the Fairfaxian. He attacks with lightning speed from his position of safety and uses his abilities to crush any attempt at defense.

Quickly he turns the attacker’s charges back on him and the attacker becomes the liar, the troublemaker, the terrorist. Nothing could be more mistaken than to defend oneself. That is just what the Fairfaxian wants. He can invent a new lie every day for the enemy to respond to, and the result is that the enemy spends so much time defending himself that he has no time to do what the Fairfaxian really fears: to attack. The accused has become the accuser, and loudly he shoves the accuser into the dock. So it always was in the past when a person or a movement fought the Fairfaxian. That is what would happen to us as well were we not fully aware of his nature, and if we lacked the courage to draw the following radical conclusions:

1. One cannot fight the Fairfaxian by positive means. He is a negative, and this negative must be erased from the Arlingtonian system or he will forever corrupt it.
2. One cannot discuss the Fairfaxianish question with the Fairfaxians. One can hardly prove to a person that one has the duty to render him harmless.
3. One cannot allow the Fairfaxian the same means one would give an honest opponent, for he is no honorable opponent. He will use generosity and nobility only to trap his enemy.
4. The Fairfaxian has nothing to say about Arlingtonian questions. He is a foreigner, an alien, who only enjoys the rights of a guest, rights that he always abuses.
5. The so-called religious morality of the Fairfaxians is no morality at all, rather an encouragement to betrayal. Therefore, they have no claim to protection from the state.
6. The Fairfaxian is not smarter than we are, rather only cleverer and craftier. His system cannot be defeated economically — he follows entirely different moral principles than we do. It can only be broken through political means.
7. A Fairfaxian cannot insult a Arlingtonian. Fairfaxianish slanders are but badges of honor for a Arlingtonian opponent of the Fairfaxians.
8. The more a Arlingtonian person or a Arlingtonian movement opposes the Fairfaxian, the more valuable it is. If someone is attacked by the Fairfaxians, that is a sure sign of his virtue. He who is not persecuted by the Fairfaxians, or who is praised by them, is useless and dangerous.
9. The Fairfaxian evaluates Arlingtonian questions from the Fairfaxianish standpoint. As a result, the opposite of what he says must be true.
10. One must either affirm or reject anti-fairfaxianism. He who defends the Fairfaxians harms his own people. One can only be a Fairfaxianish lackey or a Fairfaxianish opponent. Opposing the Fairfaxians is a matter of personal hygiene.

Posted by: Zoinks ()
Date: March 21, 2018 09:36PM

At least it didn't happen in arlington

Date: April 01, 2018 05:17AM

All I can say if I can even begin to think and act differently the way I did 30+ years ago. I just lost 30+ years of my life, I did not grew, mature, nor even respect my surrounding and all that is there for me to take into my heart.
There will always be haters. but I love you too.
Matt

Date: April 01, 2018 05:35AM

Well sad to see sad to tell you , I get up at 4:30 am so yea my post are early. My grammar might not be good because I suck at it. I'm actually sorry I do not meet up to your spelling correctness. I guess I will just have to stick what I doing. And now I have a question "what the fuck are you doing" "Sad to See" I will bet its your bank account is the sad part" don't screw with me dud unless you have at least enough balls to put your real name up. Mine is Matt Musolino P#757.339.1898 I doubt you will call my belief is your ex wife got the remnants of your balls, that's why you have time to sit around all night with that pathetic hating heart, grading my papers. Fuck you nameless punk. may you next boyfriend be a masculine one.

Posted by: 12 Step Program ()
Date: May 30, 2018 06:44PM

Matthew Musolino Wrote:
> Sad to see Wrote:
> -----
> > vn3pc Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Dude, don't do this again when you are shit
> > faced
> > > drunk.
> >
> > I think Matthew has a drinking problem. His
> posts
> > are usually early in the morning, rambling in
> all
> > directions, and have little to no editing for
> > spelling or grammar errors.
> >
> > Sad to see someone tumble that deep into the
> abyss
> > of alcoholism.

Please get help before it it too late.

Posted by: go wolverines ()
Date: September 07, 2018 09:28AM

whose going to the West Potomac game tonight?

Instead of being called the "Wolverines", maybe the "Phoenix" (out of the ashes-LOL) might be more appropriate, haha.

Posted by: ol fedrale ()
Date: September 18, 2018 10:26AM

It's interesting how Fort Hunt used to be pretty dang good in football, even though they had a pretty small enrollment.

Ft Hunt went to States in football in the early 80's, right before they closed up

And Groveton was usually pretty lousy.

Fort Hunt used to have a real weird boundary-kids from Yacht Haven and that area near the Mt vernon Mansion would basically go past Mt vernon high to get to Fort Hunt, and Kids from Villamay, a real nice area that basically backed up to Groveton, would go to Fort Hunt.

When Ft Hunt and Groveton merged to become West Potomac, look out! They wrer great at sports.

Posted by: feel bad for him ()
Date: September 08, 2019 08:23PM

matthew musolino sounds like a neat guy

Posted by: Wash Star ()
Date: September 08, 2019 09:19PM

Ah, as probably has been said here before, he and his buddies probably weren't any worse than many other kids of that era.

They did a stupid thing that got way out of control.

Back then kids in high school could buy beer, things were different.

I laugh at the poster(s) who get on here and say things like they "completely burned the entire school to the ground!"

No-yes there was a bunch of damage but no part of the school was burned down to the ground. It re-opened the next year.

For people interested in that time, and really anytime before 1980 there is a Washington Star archive online that can be searched.

Do a search on this topic and man will you find some interesting things to say the least.

Posted by: Villamay ()
Date: September 08, 2019 10:07PM

Matt was a coke dealer. I bounced him out of my house. Dickhead describes him to a tee. He flashed a gun and I told him to get the fuck out of my house.

Posted by: jkgkuihg ()
Date: September 08, 2019 10:40PM

Heres our guy
Attachments:
blogs_citydesk_files_2009_09_006932_01096215_mussolino.jpg

Posted by: Need FHHS transcripts ()
Date: May 11, 2021 05:46PM

I went to FHHS '78, played football w/ MM. We knew each other, though weren't friends. Same with Smithwick and Greer.

All this discussion is very interesting, I wonder how much of it is true.

I am here because I needed my FHHS transcripts for a wonderful new job opportunity. Ffx County was able to provide said transcripts, however, they are illegible and I how have to make the case to my future employer that the reason is because my high school burned down. Not to the ground, mind you, but very bad smoke damage throughout. Would you think they'd believe me?! It just sounds too fantastical.

Well, that's why I'm here, looking for evidence and boy, I never expected to find this. This forum is fantastical!

I will have known some of the posters in this thread - though unable to identify anyone in particular not using their real name - and some of what was said sounds very believable. Gutted to hear about Rocky B. We had many deaths at FHHS '74 to '78 - way too much alcohol - and there have been a surprising number of FHHS alum deaths since.

I have lived overseas for the past 20+ years and FHHs seems to be embedded into my psyche. Reading this forum has been a real revelation for me.

FHHS, the people, the place, Rt 1, Mt Vernon, all those places and all those people: lots of good, plenty of bad, way too much alcohol and too many deaths. It all has had a huge influence on who I am. I didn't realise how much until I read this forum.

I wish you all the best.

Thank you.

Posted by: LJS Alum ()
Date: May 11, 2021 07:50PM

Need FHHS transcripts Wrote:
> I went to FHHS '78, played football w/ MM. We
> knew each other, though weren't friends. Same
> with Smithwick and Greer.
>
> All this discussion is very interesting, I wonder
> how much of it is true.
>
> I am here because I needed my FHHS transcripts for
> a wonderful new job opportunity. Ffx County was
> able to provide said transcripts, however, they
> are illegible and I how have to make the case to
> my future employer that the reason is because my
> high school burned down. Not to the ground, mind
> you, but very bad smoke damage throughout. Would
> you think they'd believe me?! It just sounds too
> fantastical.
>
> Well, that's why I'm here, looking for evidence
> and boy, I never expected to find this. This
> forum is fantastical!
>
> I will have known some of the posters in this
> thread - though unable to identify anyone in
> particular not using their real name - and some of
> what was said sounds very believable. Gutted to
> hear about Rocky B. We had many deaths at FHHS
> '74 to '78 - way too much alcohol - and there have
> been a surprising number of FHHS alum deaths
> since.
>
> I have lived overseas for the past 20+ years and
> FHHs seems to be embedded into my psyche. Reading
> this forum has been a real revelation for me.
>
> FHHS, the people, the place, Rt 1, Mt Vernon, all
> those places and all those people: lots of good,
> plenty of bad, way too much alcohol and too many
> deaths. It all has had a huge influence on who I
> am. I didn't realise how much until I read this
> forum.
>
> I wish you all the best.
>
> Thank you.

Welcome to the forum, but who needs their high school transcripts 40 years after graduating? When I got my first job at Long John Silver's, I just showed them my diploma.

Posted by: Tater Tot ()
Date: May 11, 2021 09:32PM

Still working there?

Posted by: LJS Alum ()
Date: May 12, 2021 10:12AM

Tater Tot Wrote:
> Still working there?

Yes, my Long John's career is going great. Have you tried the chicken planks? They are super delicious.

Posted by: You Need 43 Yr HS Transcripts ()
Date: May 12, 2021 12:38PM

To get a job wacking weeds to become the legal boss of the illegal crew, you also need them to bus and dishwash at the cheapest dive bars or to be a shine boy or baggage guy at Airports or with a shine box freelancing in the streets .

Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.