HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: "Trey" Taylor fired as football coach from Robinson...
Posted by: Jim Bob Pete ()
Date: July 13, 2011 03:49AM

i'm a senior at woodson and don't even say "your a sophmore and that didn't happen"...that definetly did happen. Taylor pushed us way too hard every day, his calling on the field was so bad that it was a relief to get him out of there. I'm tired of this halo around Taylor because he had one good year for the Class of 2010. In all honesty, woodson should've won states that year. Connor Reilly (Temple '14) and multiple outstanding running backs, linebackers, lineman, and shutdown corners made that team stacked. You will hear it right now first: Taylor truely did push us too hard in the wrong way. You can push someone hard in the right way by physically making them in shape...but when having frail sophmores going against hulking seniors for scout teams is just rediculous. And for the number of concussions..that seams about right because there were probably numerous ones that didn't even get accounted for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Joe Maune ()
Date: July 13, 2011 03:53AM

Are you serious? saying my boy dash isn't gonna play in college? Have you seen this man's highlight film? I have, "Oh he's just got speed"... Eat it bro, he's insane..he'll run into the middle like a runningback, take a hit and catch the ball, and he can make the field look like a laundromat with jockstraps all over the field. Next time you insult a kid like that, actually watch him play.

Posted by: really? ()
Date: July 13, 2011 06:35AM

Realisticly,

Who on the upcoming Woodson team can play college?

I say

1) Stokes

2) Reeves

3) Dash

4) Glasscock - SLight Chance-

5) Mauro

6) Mackay -In 2 years-

Posted by: why? ()
Date: July 13, 2011 09:29AM

Why didn't they schedule woodson to play Robinson? It would have been a great, sold out game. I guess they didn't want a riot.

Posted by: bullldawg ()
Date: July 13, 2011 09:39PM

Jon Stokes?? From my sources I heard he doesnt even go to woodson, he goes to an alternative school?? I've heard rumors that he's going to Chantilly after football season? How did the DSA at woodson pull that one off?

Date: July 14, 2011 03:14AM

I would say only those top three people (Reaves, Dash, Stokes) only have chances to play in college. No disrespect to the others or anything, but these guys have put in solid seasons.

Posted by: foootball ()
Date: July 14, 2011 06:27AM

Why would Stokes be somewhere else?

I think he did leave the team last year, I do not know why.

I'm pretty sure he is playing for woodson.

Posted by: also heardd ()
Date: July 14, 2011 05:22PM

Yeah I am pretty sure Stokes lives in the Westfield or Chantilly district.

How can that be allowed? This reminds me of that movie Blue Chips with Nick Nolte.
These high schools are as corrupt as these colleges we hear about. Its sickening.

Posted by: Jimmy Do Da ()
Date: July 15, 2011 02:58AM

Yeah i wish they scheduled Woodson v Robinson...So many people would go to that game. I guarantee you not one single person from woodson would care about winning that game, they would only care about making taylor look like a dumbass.

Posted by: footballissoooon ()
Date: July 15, 2011 12:26PM

Woodson looks like it has a fairly easy schedule this year, other than TC Williams and West Pot.

08/19/2011 7:00 PM (H) Woodbridge HS (Scrim.) WT Woodson
08/25/2011 7:00 PM (A) Edison HS (Scrim.) Edison
09/01/2011 7:30 PM (H) Chantilly HS WT Woodson
09/09/2011 7:30 PM (A) Madison HS Madison
09/16/2011 7:30 PM (H) Oakton HS WT Woodson
09/23/2011 7:30 PM (A) R.E. Lee HS Lee
09/30/2011 7:30 PM (H) West Springfield HS WT Woodson
10/08/2011 1:00 PM (A) T.C. Williams HS TC Williams
10/14/2011 7:30 PM (A) Annandale HS Annandale
10/21/2011 7:30 PM (H) West Potomac HS WT Woodson
10/28/2011 7:30 PM (A) Lake Braddock SS Lake Braddock
11/04/2011 7:30 PM (H) South County SS WT Woodson

It would have been hard for them to scheudle vs. Robinson, as they are in different districts.

Posted by: What you talking about? ()
Date: July 15, 2011 01:12PM

There are only 3 easy games on that schedule. Lee, WS, and Madison. SC and Annandale are toss ups. The rest of the games are not cakewalks by any stretch of imagination.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: July 15, 2011 07:59PM

Chantilly is the toughest team on the schedule. What are you thinking leaving them out? Keep in mind they were region finalists, are returning there two 1000+ yard rushers, have major upgrades at qb and wr and most importantly they have been in 3 of the past 5 region championship games. They play football over there and as Charger mentioned, Woodson is going to get smashed.

Last year I believe it was something like 45-19 Chantilly.

Posted by: chatnilly ()
Date: July 15, 2011 09:51PM

Last year, Chantilly was beating Woodson 28-0 at the end of the first quarter...and it could be even worse this year.

Posted by: haha ()
Date: July 16, 2011 02:34AM

Chantilly is not bad for a team that has a gigantic penis in the middle of their football field... Must inspire them.

Posted by: CavFanMan ()
Date: July 16, 2011 09:05AM

I think it is fair to say Chantilly should be Woodson. No doubt about it. Woodson is rebuilding with a young team and new coaches, while Chantilly is bringing back a lot of guys from a good team the previous season.

But bringing up last year's Woodson game isnt the way to look if youre a Chantilly fan. Yes, Woodson was down 28 -0 in the 1st quarter, but those bum coaches from Woodson are long gone. These new guys might have a surprise or two ready for the Chargers that at least helps keep it close and Woodson in the game. Woodson's coaches last season didnt know how to manage or coach a game. Things should be a bit different this season.

I hpe Chantilly comes into this game as cocky as it sounds, because thats just what Woodson wants. Take us lightly! Please!

Posted by: Tricky Dick ()
Date: July 20, 2011 10:05AM

I heard Dan Checkowsky resigned from Woodson today to join Coach Taylor at Robinson. Apparently, Checkowsky missed not seeing Taylor's flabby belly and was tired of crying into his pillow at night. Now they are together again and ready to start destroying Robinson sports the way they destroyed Woodson sports! Go Rams!

Posted by: Woodson Parent ()
Date: July 20, 2011 04:58PM

Did he really resign?! He was an egotistical jerk and rude to many parents, but I find it hard to believe he resigned just because he had a crush on the old football coach. If its true, thats pathetic. He wont be missed!

Posted by: you all suck! ()
Date: July 20, 2011 07:02PM

Obviously, none of your kids are ready for college football (if they were even that good to begin with). Have you ever gone to a D1, D2, or D3 football practice. They run the kids until they are all throwing up on the sidelines (every day). If you don't like it, don't play!
Until you actually get to know Coach Taylor and can form your own opinion, then keep your comments to yourself!

Date: July 21, 2011 02:37AM

did Checko really resign? Please tell me the truth.

Posted by: "you all suck" sucks... ()
Date: July 21, 2011 12:12PM

You're right - college programs make their football players work hard. The difference is the "kids" playing in college are anywhere between 18 and 22 years old. The "kids" that Taylor bullies are 14, 15, 16, and 17 year olds. Big difference. Not to mention that one is college and the other is high school. Again, kind of a big difference. But I guess you nipped it in the bud. These bum coaches and DSAs like Taylor and Checkowski think that they are working for a college program. They forget that they are working with kids who many arent even driving yet for christ sakes.

So in a nutshell - Taylor and his man -titties sucks balls. And Checkowski is a sicko for being in love with him. Thanks for coming out.

Date: July 21, 2011 01:11PM

If Checkowsky leaves the school, it will be a win/win for the parents and students. Lets hope this is true!

Posted by: Big Red ()
Date: July 27, 2011 06:07PM

There is also something called over practicing and you are good at that not to mention your as onery as they come. If you have indeed retired from the coaching job then act like it and the leave the coaching to the hand picked coach you picked to replace you. I am so glad that I made the decision to leave your program and kick myself for not doing it sooner. You out of all people should know how it feels to be sorrounded by talent but yet the talent rather play video games, transfer to other schools and have great success or even stay at home than to deal with your nonsense, funny how so many kids participated and came out for football when you left but only to find out that you still were in control of things. I guess with your size and threatning voice the DSA just let's you do whatever...Damn Dick you got it good, but the fact of the matter is you never were able to fill Coach Bob Hardage shoes because you didn't take the time to learn or listen to what he was teaching so the program has suffered as a result of it. You built my boy up only to let him down and that's not cool. So I'm sure you know who this is and seriously doubt you will reply if you know what's good for you and the Annandale program cause the Falls Church coach might just call again and you might not get so lucky this time. Also thanks for making my sons transfer from AHS to RHS a nightmare I know you called the VHSL and told them a bunch of crap that just makes him more eager to tear shit up on the field.

Date: July 27, 2011 06:10PM

My post is for Dick Adams comments on page 1 not intended for Coach Taylor whom I recently met and found to be a stand up guy. Go Rams!!!

Posted by: to Big Red ()
Date: July 27, 2011 09:20PM

Dick Adams won state championships. He ran a tight ship and was a tough coach, but most kids who came from his program have gone on to be successful. His methods were very old school and by todays standards would be cruel, which is a shame because kids are pansies these days and some need to be thrown around. His accomplishments speak for themselves.

Date: July 27, 2011 10:17PM

To Whomever it's not hard to win when he inherited what coach Hardage had already planted. What has he done on his own..nothing!! I'm as tough as they come and have brought my kids up the same way. I never said that my son had a problem with the way he ran things if he wanted to play football for him he had no choice..it's his bullshit antics that I don't like and that is srtictly my opinion of the guy. So before you comment please read the entire text. Thanks

Posted by: Juan ()
Date: August 12, 2011 08:45PM

im playing for coach taylor now and so far he has been an amazing coach im a OL center and he's and has been making me a great player. Im getting alot of reps and im not being over worked so i dont know where you got this information but i love coach taylor and all he's doing

Posted by: coach buckholz? ()
Date: August 18, 2011 05:06AM

is that u

Posted by: season ()
Date: September 01, 2011 01:18AM

Steve Buckhands Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How long til Taylor is fired from Robinson?
>
> Robinson has gotten rid of two of their solid and
> well-liked Health and PE teachers (who also
> coached) just so they can bring in Taylor and one
> of his cronies from Woodson. Robinson staff isnt
> too happy about it. And Taylor is known for
> alienating staff so it will be a rocky road early.
>
>
> On top of that, Robinson students and parents are
> starting to freak out at how much Taylor is over
> working the students and it isnt even June yet.
> All of that overworking last year led his Woodson
> team to a record high 45 concussions in one season
> and a JV team that was down to 12 kids. His
> Robinson team this year might break that record.
>
> So lets set the over/under of his firing at 2
> years. I say under! What say you?

Lets see if we can't beat Stone Bridge I won't be happy with this guy.

Date: September 01, 2011 04:36PM

Some things about Taylor:
I've never seen a coach go for it on 4th and 3 inside their own 30. I saw him do it 3 or 4 times.

He's predictable: run, run, pass, punt.

He never - I mean , never rotates his players in. even when ahead by 3 td's or behind by 3 td's in the 4th quarter. Last year, Braddock was up by over 40 points and not one backup saw playing time. The same was true for the JV team. They could be behind by 35 and no-one came off the bench. Defeated, hurt guys kept playing, and guys in need of development, never played.

The result? Each season, the only experienced players starting on a Taylor team, are guys who started as Juniors. The rest have almost no game experience. That is why he wins 3 games a year that he isn't blessed with 6 future college players.

In the three years my son played varsity, Trey Taylor never put a "no-hit" (yellow or red) jersey on the QB's in practice. It was full contact. In one practice, his 2nd team QB broke his arm on one play and the 3rd team QB was injured on the next. The sad part is the 2nd team QB had been scouted by several colleges until Connor Reilly showed up and took over (as he should have). The 2nd team QB could still have played college ball, but got disgusted and quit.

The concussion thing posted earlier is overblown, but Taylor does stupid things. For example, he encourages his players to take "Personal Fitness" as a class. That way they get lifting in during the school day. However, if the class falls on a game day Friday, the players still have to lift that day. If it is a heavy lift day, they still have to do it!!!! How stupid is that??!!! These kids are burned out and sore from their lifting earlier in the day, and then he yells at them for not playing better. What a nimrod.

Posted by: told you so, so far anyway ()
Date: September 04, 2011 07:41PM

Coaches Taylor and Pannoni are a combined 0-2 with a total of zero points scored. Told ya so (so far)

Posted by: wtwfan ()
Date: September 07, 2011 03:20PM

What i think the haters have failed to account for here is the miserable talent pool the Woodson program draws from. 30% asians, students more interested in schoolwork/extracurriculars than sports. Taylor did an admirable job of making football players out of the few athletes that woodson provides

Posted by: just an observer ()
Date: November 10, 2011 03:53PM

So Robinson Football parents, how was you first season with the new coach and his staff?

Posted by: Robinson parent ()
Date: November 22, 2011 11:29AM

Robinson season was pretty sucky for the majority of the players and fans. Only Coah Taylor's favorites thought it was a good season, while everyone else realizes it was a missed opportunity: a good amount of talent wasted by poor coaching.

Beating weak teams to slide into the playoffs may have saved Coach Taylor's job for now, but the abysmal team atmosphere will lead to a weak team in following years.

Posted by: ramfan4evea ()
Date: November 23, 2011 11:05AM

Robinson will struggle for the next few years
Look at the lower levels, they werent even competitive there.

Each year Taylor only plays a select few,the rest of the players do not develope and the cycle starts over each year. So basically he is rebuilding each year.

Robinson always has talent, they had it this year, it just wasnt used correctly.

This team with the previous coaching staff, would have been 6-4 or 7-3 and had players ready for next year.

I dont see nay improvement on next years record, 3-7 4-6 would be about right.

Posted by: jayjay ()
Date: November 23, 2011 04:21PM

wat kind of drugs does sherif sell? i want sum drugs

Posted by: disappointed ()
Date: November 23, 2011 09:36PM

A coaching staff that is disrepectful to the players and does nothing to develop their skills and confidence will never produce a winning program. Old school "punish and humiliate" doesn't work anywhere, least of all with high school boys. It's not rocket surgery. Without significant change in approach and attitude, disappointment will become the norm.

Posted by: Drew ()
Date: March 02, 2012 10:54PM

Unfortunately, with the numbers of players leaving the program, the horrendous coaching, and a principal and 'athletic director' so short-sighted they need to wear binoculars, the Robinson football program is dead. It was murdered by Myer, Ferrell and Taylor. Robison will be lucky to win a game next season. The Three Stooges will blame the lack of talent, but certainly won't blame themselves.

Posted by: Hob Bardage ()
Date: March 03, 2012 06:48PM

Damn. That was a lot of posts for two programs that finished a combined 6-15 last season.

Posted by: My Take ()
Date: April 08, 2012 06:50PM

Coach Taylor and his coaching staff only kick you around when you do not give your absolute 100% on the field or in the weight room. His philosophy may be harsh, but it is effective and if players don't understand something, he is willing to help if you ask. Although I do disagree with some of his actions, he only means the best for the team.

The only reason that this past season was a missed opportunity is because the PLAYERS would not coexist with Taylor's philosophy, and I believe that Robinson had the capability to have a positive season had the players bought into it.

THE COACHING STAFF WAS NOT THE PROBLEM, NOR WAS LACK OF TALENT. It was lack of heart.

In the coming season with players that have bought into his policies, Robinson WILL be a force to be reckoned with, perhaps capturing a district title.

Posted by: rams4life ()
Date: April 08, 2012 11:08PM

Was pretty cool to see Taylor could swallow his pride and move away from his own offense to run What looked like the classic Bendorf Offense (Wing T, unbalanced, trap, counter sweep) the last several games and it really invigorated the players!

Hope he learned his lesson and has been studying all the old film and playbooks of those that laid the foundation for him. It looked like he did last year to spark the seniors. Just hope he knows the young kids will take to that too.

Posted by: woodson01158 ()
Date: April 18, 2012 08:02PM

Taylor is a smart coach, he does have favorites but his first year at woodson he had a freshman qb in gabe thomas and had them go 5-5 and each year that team grew until they made it to the regional finals where they played horribly. However woodson hasn't done anything since then

Date: June 20, 2012 11:33PM

Yeah I am definitely not surprised at all from the other posts regarding to "Dick" Taylor since I was a former Woodson football player myself from 05-09 along with "superstar" Reily, Wazeneigger, Sweeney, Johnson, and the rest of could have been D1 players like myself. I had a hearing loss ever since I was born but that did not stop me from playing the sport that I loved to do. But all Taylor did was treat players including myself like crap (except for his favorites) especially when I gave blood, sweat, tears, and commitment in the weight room and on the field every damn day. He pretty much made my life miserable through out the years in high school and i did not understand why he would do that especially that I had so much talent and was trying to get to D1 football schools in which I dreamed ever since I was a kid. Anyways that's part of life and I can't hold a grudge against him anymore, since I already know that Robinson will fire him. Go WOODSON!

Posted by: KeepitReal ()
Date: November 15, 2012 02:39PM

Pretty much summed up in the negative post above and all came to fruition.

Posted by: RobinsonPlayer ()
Date: November 15, 2012 10:08PM

Well you guys got your wish. coach Taylor has officially been fired as the Head Coach of Robinson...

Posted by: Just Curious ()
Date: November 16, 2012 09:46AM

Why was he fired? He made it to the playoff's both years. Did he do something wrong with a kid or an administrator?

Posted by: read between the lines ()
Date: November 16, 2012 09:59AM

Just Curious Wrote:
> Why was he fired? He made it to the playoff's both
> years. Did he do something wrong with a kid or an
> administrator?

Didn't win the district or even compete for the title, knocked out of regional playoffs both years in the first round. His records were 5-6 and 4-7, not exactly Robinson standards or expectations. If you consider this a success then I seriously question your judgement. Looks like it's a lonely walk back to Woodson.

Posted by: trey taylor ()
Date: November 16, 2012 10:29AM

playoffs? thats what you consider success at robinson? from a program that used to regularly compete for state and region titles i think just making the playoffs is a little under par. under bendorf or even anyone else really these last 2 years would have gone a lot different

Posted by: Just Curious ()
Date: November 16, 2012 10:48AM

I did not say he was successful. It just seems unusual to me for a NR football coach to be fired after only two seasons based solely on record. I have been following the NR for a long time and I can’t remember a single case where a coach wasn’t given at least 3 seasons(usually more) to get established – unless there was another issue besides the record – finances, admin, abuse etc.

Posted by: Rams fan ()
Date: November 16, 2012 12:41PM

There were lots of issues last year but no one wanted to pay attention. Some parents tried to constructively raise the issues but were dismissed. Others were afraid to bring the issues up due to possible retribution.

Issues included safety concerns / injury rates, communication of schedule changes, lack of attention to JV program, and the way Taylor treated players.

Other issues like play calling, quarterback selection/treatment, special teams play, etc, were raised but were considered outside fans/parents scope of comment.

Last year's team had a good deal talent and should have done much better. This year's team could have done better as well.

Posted by: Parents ()
Date: November 16, 2012 12:51PM

Part of the problem is that the quality of football players in this area will continue to decline. The real possibility of long-term consequences of concussions scared a lot of parents. Much more so than other areas of the country. They are choosing "safer" activities for their children.

Posted by: Nostradamus ()
Date: November 16, 2012 12:59PM

So he pretty much got fired for all the reasons that were given 2 years ago on this same thread. Nice prediction!

Posted by: nrfand4sure ()
Date: November 16, 2012 01:15PM

Who will be the next Robinson head football coach?

Do they go the same route with an established head coach or maybe they look at an experienced assistant from Westfield, Centreville, or Lake Braddock.
A few that come to mind, Westfield's DC, Centreville's DC, Lake Braddock's OC.

Either wat looks to be an intersting off season for Robinson.

Posted by: Rams fan ()
Date: November 16, 2012 01:24PM

They probably have to start from scratch, since Taylor brought in his own guys and the good coaches left for other schools.

Maybe some of Bendorf's coaches will apply for the position. Hard to see the administration picking them though, as they would be admitting they made a mistake.

Posted by: hopefull ()
Date: November 16, 2012 01:27PM

is there a possibility for a return from bendorf?? im sure he has been very dissapointed with these last 2 years

Posted by: ram pride ()
Date: November 16, 2012 01:34PM

i would say their best bet is to go after one of bendorfs old assistants at robinson, someone who can bring back the tradition that bendorf put in place. taylor came in and completely changed everything and that was his biggest mistake.

Posted by: Rams ()
Date: November 16, 2012 02:18PM

I don't think any of Bendorf's asst coaches are still at Robinson.

I don't think the problem is a lack of talent either. The Robinson team could drive and score during the last two years, when the right players were in the right posisitions and intelligent plays were called.

Robinson may not have the biggest players, but they can succeed with creative play calling, deceptive plays, and a unified team playing for more than individual glory.

Posted by: ram pride ()
Date: November 16, 2012 02:30PM

youre correct none of them are but they dont have to be at robinson now to be hired

Posted by: Who i want ()
Date: November 16, 2012 02:30PM

WE WANT VAUGHN!!!

Posted by: not to be an asshole or anything ()
Date: November 17, 2012 02:34AM

Not to be "that guy," but the DSA at Woodson is Dan Checkosky not chychowski or any of the other idiotic spellings you fools came up with.

Posted by: K9Wwd ()
Date: November 17, 2012 04:02AM

former woodson football Wrote:
> Yeah I am definitely not surprised at all from the
> other posts regarding to "Dick" Taylor since I was
> a former Woodson football player myself from 05-09
> along with "superstar" Reily, Wazeneigger,
> Sweeney, Johnson, and the rest of could have been
> D1 players like myself. I had a hearing loss ever
> since I was born but that did not stop me from
> playing the sport that I loved to do. But all
> Taylor did was treat players including myself like
> crap (except for his favorites) especially when I
> gave blood, sweat, tears, and commitment in the
> weight room and on the field every damn day. He
> pretty much made my life miserable through out the
> years in high school and i did not understand why
> he would do that especially that I had so much
> talent and was trying to get to D1 football
> schools in which I dreamed ever since I was a kid.
> Anyways that's part of life and I can't hold a
> grudge against him anymore, since I already know
> that Robinson will fire him. Go WOODSON!

michaelpbellamy@yahoo.com was not ever close to a D1 player

roflmao

Posted by: Duhhhhh ()
Date: November 17, 2012 08:46AM

Rams Wrote:

>
> Robinson may not have the biggest players, but
> they can succeed with creative play calling,
> deceptive plays, and a unified team playing for
> more than individual glory.

Huh? When we were discussing Woodson, you experts said there was no room for creativity. Robot players who drill, drill, drill. That's how you win ball games.

Posted by: BMD ()
Date: November 23, 2012 12:05PM

Another issue that's not mentioned here is the fact that Taylor drove at least a half dozen quality players to other schools in the region. Players choiced to other schools like Centreville or Braddock because Taylor treated them or their parents like crap. Good riddance. A trained monkey could have produced a better record at Robinson with the talent they had.

Posted by: Rex Ryan ()
Date: November 24, 2012 11:38AM

What a fatass

- Rex Ryan

Posted by: dissappointed ()
Date: November 24, 2012 07:39PM

Put a fork in the rat bastard. He's done. The players and parents knew it before he was done with his first season, but the administration ignored the problems and voluminous data points - all discussed above, and discussed with them in great detail. I'll at least give them credit for eventually doing something about it - though it has significantly set the program back. Too bad for the current players, and those who had already moved on to other things. Here's to hoping for a revival of what once was a proud program.

As far as what happens to Taylor now, nobody gives a shit! YOU'RE FIRED! Sound familiar Taylor???

Trey Dawg
Posted by: Peyton Manning's Forehead ()
Date: November 24, 2012 09:33PM

GO RAMS! SEE YA "TREY"

Sure "Coach" Taylor can ruin a storied and highly regarded program, but can he see why kids love the taste of CINNAMON TOAST CRUNCH?!

Probably not because he's so short. See ya never Napoleon Junior.

Love,
Peyton Manning

Posted by: Rob parent ()
Date: December 07, 2012 06:49PM

Is the entire Robinson staff going with Taylor too? Are they all gone?

Posted by: Robinson11 ()
Date: December 07, 2012 10:12PM

Rob parent Wrote:
> Is the entire Robinson staff going with Taylor
> too? Are they all gone?

Several members of Taylor's staff teach at Robinson. They will be there at least until the end of the school year. After that, who knows?

Posted by: Robinson223 ()
Date: December 08, 2012 12:23AM

Any ideas on who the new coach will be?
or where Taylor will end up?

Posted by: izzy ()
Date: October 02, 2013 02:24PM

So... how did the mentioned coaches do that year?

Date: March 20, 2014 11:46AM

Trey Strikes again. Named the new coach at South Lakes!

Posted by: SL parent ()
Date: March 20, 2014 01:38PM

Woodson Parent Wrote:
> Trey Strikes again. Named the new coach at South
> Lakes!

He must have showed up on time for the interview (or close to it) and spelled his name correctly on the application. That's about all it takes to get a varsity coaching gig from Linda Jones. Actually, to be fair, she wouldn't want to do his paperwork for him so she was probably a little tougher on him for that part of the interview.

Posted by: SL Parent ()
Date: March 20, 2014 02:11PM

This wasn't Linda's hire.

Posted by: never learn ()
Date: March 20, 2014 02:42PM

another guy hired who has nothing but negative follow him everywhere he goes.

Posted by: who? ()
Date: March 20, 2014 02:46PM

SL Parent Wrote:
> This wasn't Linda's hire.

Who hired him then?

Posted by: SL Parent 4x ()
Date: March 20, 2014 05:00PM

Who made her hire this loser? I know that there were better options that interviewed for this job. It is really sad to this to the SL students.

Posted by: four children from SL ()
Date: March 20, 2014 05:00PM

Was there any background done on this coach before his hiring? Did you not see the signs?

Posted by: Wowsers ()
Date: March 20, 2014 05:28PM

I can't believe south lakes went this route. I guess they wanted the opposite of what they had in the past. I can say I'm concerned about the pick based on what I've read here though. Can we say epic fail by Jones. Guess they are going for a new record....coaches get your resume ready....this guy may be gone soon if he hasn't changed.

Posted by: SL Alum ()
Date: March 20, 2014 05:39PM

Sad day for SL.

Posted by: GoodluckSL ()
Date: March 25, 2014 11:20PM

This will be great for the Lacrosse team once the football players get a dose of Trey and they realize there is life away from His program.

Posted by: SLHS Dad ()
Date: March 26, 2014 10:28AM

Has there ever been a quieter D6 HS football hire than this one? Nothing in the WaPost, no press release from SL, just this from a local web media outlet http://www.restonnow.com/2014/03/24/wooten-steps-down-as-south-lakes-high-school-football-coach/

I don't care all that much since my kids don't play football but I would like to see who's going to take the credit or blame for this hire. Someone posted above that it wasn't a Linda Jones hire and on the surface it certainly doesn't smell like one. LJ would have promoted the nearest unqualifed assistant willing to do the job. My best guess would be that Kim Retzer made this call. She admires the way SoCo runs their athletic programs, which is certainly light years ahead of SL, and probably got a strong recommendation from their staff which outweighed the negativity from Woodson and Robinson circles.

Anyone with more insight please add your .02.

Date: March 26, 2014 04:34PM

Trey Taylor is a good hire for the South Lakes program and quite frankly they were lucky to get someone of his caliber after their head coach's late departure.

Trey had a number of very successful years at Woodson and once he left the program fell apart. He was also building a formidable team at Robinson and has the program going in an upward direction before he got railroaded by retiring principal Dan Meier who wanted the job so fired Taylor months in advance so that he could take it.

Coach Taylor is very intense and as a result rubs some people the wrong way, but that is style and in my opinion his teams have been pretty successful over the years and most of the time over achieve for the level of talent that they have.

Now coming to a school like South Lakes, it is going to be hard for Taylor to change a culture over there. Being a late hire, it is going to be tough to get buy in to his offseason conditioning program which is definitely a bit over board. Playing football for Coach Taylor is a year round commitment.

Posted by: Stevek3 ()
Date: March 26, 2014 05:06PM

Taylor was not a good hire for South Lakes. There were other candidates for the job that would have been a much better fit. Kevin Simonds and RJ Windows would have been great hires. I mean seriously,is it even about the kids anymore?

Date: March 26, 2014 05:15PM

Stevek3 Wrote:
> Taylor was not a good hire for South Lakes. There
> were other candidates for the job that would have
> been a much better fit. Kevin Simonds and RJ
> Windows would have been great hires. I mean
> seriously,is it even about the kids anymore?

Windows would not have left Chantilly with his son playing there to go to South Lakes.

Now I obviously don't know who applied, but there is no denying Taylor is an upgrade from Wooten. Wooten was 9-21 taking over a program that before him had their most successful season in a decade.

Posted by: SteveK3 ()
Date: March 26, 2014 05:55PM

steve k2 Wrote:
> Stevek3 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Taylor was not a good hire for South Lakes.
> There
> > were other candidates for the job that would
> have
> > been a much better fit. Kevin Simonds and RJ
> > Windows would have been great hires. I mean
> > seriously,is it even about the kids anymore?
>
>
> Windows would not have left Chantilly with his son
> playing there to go to South Lakes.
>
> Now I obviously don't know who applied, but there
> is no denying Taylor is an upgrade from Wooten.
> Wooten was 9-21 taking over a program that before
> him had their most successful season in a decade.

Please! Taylor went 9-13 at one of the States most historical programs! Windows most certainly would have left Chantilly and he was indeed a finalist for the South Lakes job.

Let's see how Taylor does. South Lakes went to the playoffs last year and had a decent season. King Taylor should lead them back right?

Date: March 26, 2014 06:00PM

The previous comment describes coach Taylor as being very intense, a year round commitment, and quite frankly, how lucky South Lakes is to be able to hire someone of his caliber. With so many other schools looking to hire new coaches, how did SL get so fortunate? Intense is often described as passionate, or even over-bearing. Intensity by itself seldom rubs people the wrong way. Kids need nurturing, guidance, and patience, and they need to know that football is not worth the year-round effort that many coaches expect from them. Academics should be a year round commitment, not football. How do you know that he was railroaded?

Date: March 28, 2014 01:03AM

SteveK3 Wrote:

South Lakes was 5-5 with 3 of their wins coming against 1-9 Herndon, 1-9 Madison, and 0-10 Marshall, then squeeking by TJ. Hardly a successful season if you ask me.

I do expect them to be pretty bad next year and I think that's why the other coach bolted. Give Taylor a couple years and South Lakes will be in the top tier in their conference. Then if Windows was in discussion for the job, what makes him a better candidate than Taylor who has a region championship and several seasons as a head coach under his belt? Windows hasn't done anything special at Chantilly, I see them as an ugly step sister to Westfield and Centreville, who they have similar talent too but just can't beat.

Whether people like it not, South Lakes got a coach who definitely is committed to having kids put the work in and he will put the hours in. He's a great football mind and similar to Panonni who everyone was bashing after an awful stint at Centreville but he bounced back and has built a fantastic program at South County which played for a state championship just two years ago.

Posted by: stevek4 ()
Date: March 28, 2014 06:53AM

Not everyone likes Taylor, but he is a good coach and puts in a lot of hours. He is dedicated, and sometimes that rubs some people the wrong way. Windows was the head coach at W&L for a few years, and they sucked phat dick. Now, lets stop talking about Taylor, and start talking about the the shitty coach that Edison hired.

Date: March 28, 2014 06:58PM

Dedication never rubs anyone the wrong way, abuse does. Long hours don't always make for success, it can be measured in other ways as well. Only time will tell if coach Taylor was a good hire on not, but we should not ignore the comments of former players and parents who know more about him than we, the new group know. I pray that he is not a vulgar individual, that is no lesson to teach our children.

Posted by: Jay Bird ()
Date: March 28, 2014 08:05PM

"
Trey Taylor is a good hire for the South Lakes program and quite frankly they were lucky to get someone of his caliber after their head coach's late departure.

Trey had a number of very successful years at Woodson and once he left the program fell apart. He was also building a formidable team at Robinson and has the program going in an upward direction before he got railroaded by retiring principal Dan Meier who wanted the job so fired Taylor months in advance so that he could take it."

And..

"The previous comment describes coach Taylor as being very intense, a year round commitment, and quite frankly, how lucky South Lakes is to be able to hire someone of his caliber. With so many other schools looking to hire new coaches, how did SL get so fortunate? Intense is often described as passionate, or even over-bearing. Intensity by itself seldom rubs people the wrong way. Kids need nurturing, guidance, and patience, and they need to know that football is not worth the year-round effort that many coaches expect from them. Academics should be a year round commitment, not football. How do you know that he was railroaded"

Trey, Stop posting!!!! You're acting like Yost!

Posted by: WTW Guy ()
Date: March 28, 2014 08:09PM

Trey is an cocky guy who had a walk on QB come in at WTW due to a military transfer and make him look good. It was crumbling when Robinson reached out.

At Robinson, he tried to make the spread work with kids who had been coached and trained to run power. Instead of starting with power and transferring to spread he went opposite. Then, he tried switching to power abruptly to try to save his skin when the Robinson fans starting circling the wagons.

Date: March 30, 2014 01:40PM

Please don't confuse me with Trey or Yost, I am neither! I did have four children graduate from SL and have a great deal of concern as to which direction the program is heading. I do not think Trey Taylor was a good hire, but like I stated in a previous post, only time will tell. I personally feel that the athletic department showed no foresight nor courage in making this hire.

Trey Taylor hired as SL football coach
Date: April 21, 2014 11:46AM

I am absolutely amazed that Coach Taylor got another head coaching position:

- Woodson was successful only when they had an outstanding quarterback.

- Majority of Woodson parents/players were glad to see Taylor go. (check the old FFX Underground posts)

- Taylor was fired for cause at Robinson. Robinson had good talent, but could not execute.

- Dan Meiers coached the following season as penance for screwing up Robinson football, when he selected Taylor over much better choices.

- Robinson needs a couple of years to rebuild after Taylor, as the Freshmen and JV programs under Taylor failed to teach the basic skills.

- Taylor does not know how to coach football, as evidenced by fundamental football failures at Robinson games under his tenure.

- Taylor does not know how to coach young men, as evidenced by his reliance on fear and bullying to get performance at Robinson. It seems great if your player is one of Taylor's chosen few, but sucks for all the rest.

- SL could not have talked with many people at Robinson and Woodson, or they would not have repeated this mistake.

Prediction: SL is in for a couple of rough years, until Taylor is fired again.

Re: Trey Taylor hired as SL football coach
Posted by: SLHS ()
Date: April 22, 2014 07:27AM

Robinson parent Wrote:
> Prediction: SL is in for a couple of rough years,
> until Taylor is fired again.

Will he commit a felony? That's about the only way any coach at SL gets fired.

Posted by: dwu ()
Date: June 11, 2014 11:41PM

I'm going to have to agree with the negative comments about Trey Taylor. Especially the one about him bullying/poking fun of students. I was a freshmen at Woodson back around 2009. Me and all the other freshmen were in the locker room changing into our P.E. uniform.

Once we all finished changing we headed out and walked through the hallway on our way to the freshmen and sophmore shared main gym. While getting there me and five other guys were chatting with Tim. Trey Taylor happened to be right near the front door and started playfully harassing Tim.

Trey Taylor looked right at Tim and said to him "Hey big guy you should try out for JV football." Tim said "No way." Trey Taylor had a nice big smirk on his face and said "You sure big guy, you'll have lots of fun in football." and started lauhging his ass off.

Tim was 5'1, had glasses, and was Asian. Tim was a smart likeable guy but in no way was he a football player. For some reason Trey Taylor felt like making fun of some kid and in a pathetic manner try to fool a small kid into trying out for football to be used as a concussion dummy. A grown overweight man picking on a freshmen. Seriously wtf.

He even picked on my friend Tim again like two weeks later during that fall semester of 2009 when he was loitering around the locker room when all the freshmen were changing into P.E. uniforms.

Taylor at South Lakes
Posted by: Honest Parent ()
Date: August 31, 2014 01:01AM

The South Lakes coaching job will expose Tray Taylor as the Napoleonic, untalented, below average coach he is. His limited Woodson success was mainly due to talented military kids moving in, not his coaching (2009-2010). Robinson waited a year too long but luckily fired him before he ruined that storied program and injured players.

South Lakes parents watch him closely and the treatment of your sons.

A cheetahs spots do not change....and he's a big cheetah. Write this down and mark the date on the calendar.

Re: Taylor at South Lakes
Posted by: mcmitaly ()
Date: September 01, 2014 04:36PM

WaPo called him a credible coach today in an article about Robinson. Probably why Dan Meier fired him. He was credible.

Posted by: Credible response ()
Date: September 01, 2014 09:05PM

Nope. Taylor was fired from Robinson because he was a one season wonder. He's nowhere near credible...why do you think WTW didn't take him back this year....they were looking for a coach, BUT one that was credible.

Posted by: Fairfax County' Homers ()
Date: September 01, 2014 09:22PM

For the record, SC has always had a solid program and good athletes....Panonni did a good job with a good foundation, but did not build that program.

Panonni and Taylor have been in bed together for years, Lee, WTW, SC....when one gets fired or ran off they run and hide in the others program. Time will tell as there are only so many Fairfax County Schools that they can ruin...why domyou think Checko wasn't on his jock to bring him back to WTW (he was on Taylors jock in 2009-10).

Surrounding counties wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

Just hope these opportunities do not come at the health/emotional expense of developing young HS athletes. It's like a syndrome when the fat kid who was always the fat kid without talent gets to coach...scary for your kids.

Coach "Trey" Taylor
Date: September 06, 2014 12:30AM

Watch out for injuries when Taylor is coaching. He is supposed to be a strength coach, but Robinson had a lot of weight room injuries while Taylor was there.

Also watch to see if the team can catch/runback punts. Under Taylor, Robinson did not try to runback punts and just watched them roll.

Re: Coach "Trey" Taylor
Posted by: AppleSauce703 ()
Date: September 16, 2014 07:39AM

I didn't want to believe it but all of the rumors about Coach Taylor are true. In his short time at South Lakes he has managed to degrade numerous players to the point of quitting. His play calling ability is sorely lacking. One parent told me he called her son stupid numerous times during practices. Sure the team has bought in to his system but what choice do they have? They can't transfer schools and he's not going anywhere this season.

The best part is I hear that he just allowed a kid who was on the team in early August that got arrested for theft and has been in a juvenile detention center since then to just walk back onto the team and will be the starting QB against Herndon this Friday.

South Lakes might go 2-8 this year.

Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.